PDA

View Full Version : So....Coolness

DaCrAzYmOfO
06-17-2007, 06:26
So....whats cool about Warhammer?

Is it the fact that OS BOYZ IZ GONNA 'ET US SUM HUMIE SKULLZ

Or is it the fact that you go and quest for the grail as a chivalrous knight

Like guns blowing the shit out of monsters?

Or will the undead rule the world?

What do you find cool about warhammeR!!!

I personally love the fact that goodness is sorrounded and on the floor....that its barely surviving....the empire is what I find cool in warhammer....against all odds normal people fight against gargantuan beasts and prevail....but hey WHAT DO YOU FIND COOL ABOUT WARHAMMER!!!???!!!!

Decker
06-17-2007, 06:54
Orks, Rats, Humans, hot Elves and Dark Elves, Giant monsters, and dead things. What's not to love.

Bwian
06-17-2007, 09:36
WAR ... with big hammers!

No namby-pamby clean cut heroes winning the day.... just good old fashioned xenophobic killing.

um...
06-17-2007, 11:26
I like almost everything about warhammer, it's a kinda dark universe with lots of cool races and nations. The only thing i DONT like is the technology of some races. Some muscettes and cannons are fine, but the Dwarves got helicopters and the Empire has mechanical robot horses, the last one would fit better in 40k than fantasy. Except for that, everything is cool.

alexader
06-17-2007, 11:54
i think warhammer is a game that includes almost everything,like the tales or myths,i just want to say that INCLUDES ALMOST EVERYTHING from history or tales ,i can't do that more easy,all of you can see that (from magic to real world and from sword to HELLBLASTER)this game just rocks for the simple reason that includes almost evrything(i can't keep up this,please help)from history to fantasy.IT CONSIST ALMOST EVERYthinggggggggggg.........:egypt:

Dave1984
06-17-2007, 12:06
I like the fact that within the Warhammer world there is a lot of scope for changes- it's always developing, more is always being added; with something like Lord of the Rings that world is basically set in stone and there is barely any room for changes or new events.
I have to admit that in myself I love the idea of Warhammer and to my mind the depiction of the different races are spot on- I look at other fantasy stuff with differently realised versions of the races and I can't stand them. For example, to me Orcs are big and musuclar and very green and the LoTR Orcs just don't cut it. So for me the coolness of it all is the fact that it all fits in with the ideas in my head almost perfectly.

DrZoidberg
06-17-2007, 14:37
What do you find cool about warhammeR!!!

I had that discussion today, all hung over from an all nighter of Guitar Hero2. I've studied plenty of philosophy and we analysed fantasy role playing games. Especially AD&D and Warhammer.

So with risk of sounding amazingly deep, what I like about Warhammer is it's depth.

First up. They haven't made up anything at all. There's no freaky fantasy unit somebody pulled out of their ass as in AD&D. Everything is based on something that exists in the world today and aplied to very well known symbols in fantasy or history.

Orcs is everything you find annoying about stupid people. It's the morons at the pub who pick fights because they're just too dumb to enjoy anything cerebral. The ultimate sports suporters.

Elves, is everything you find annoying about celebreties. People who are aloof and just think they're soooo amazing. They do look good, and they are smart, but they are so self conscious about it that they turn into a parodies of themselves.

Chaos is a breakdown of evil. Evil doens't really exist. Any person with two braincells have worked out that long time ago. People who do evil things have just got some of their facts wrong. That's what Chaos in Warhammer is about. Nurgle followers think they are good. Slaaneshians do think they're having fun on other peoples expense, but they don't think they're any more evil than others. And so on. They're basically built on the concept of evil as put forward by Hanna Arendt in "The banality of evil". Consiously or not.

The Empire is off-course built on the mideival christian countries and holy roman empire. They're the good guys, but they do good to such a exagerated extent that it becomes evil.

Bretonnia is off-course the parody of questing knights. And it's hillarious that allthough the Bretonnian knights are the most glorious and self sacrificing lot in all of Warhammer, the Bretonnian pesantry are the most opressed in all of Warhammer. Just hillarious.

And so it goes for each and every race in Warhammer. There has gone so much work into making each race work logically, and they're all caricatures of something. Or caricatures of immiges of something. Skaven are caricatures of the Nazi immage of Jews. And nothing is holy. There is nothing at all anywhere in the Warhammer universe that doesn't in some way make a complete ass of themselves.

This is my 2 cents at least.

Dogman55
06-17-2007, 16:50
I love the Lizardmen of Warhammer. Heh, go figure. I don't know about anyone else, but I loved playing with Dinos as a kid. Now thinking that there are humanoids 2 feet taller than a man that are basically killing machines, it's awesome. I also like that the Slann, though arguably the most powerful mortal creatures, are so few and are so not active that it prevents the lizardmen race from growing into the Empire it arguably could.

DaCrAzYmOfO
06-17-2007, 19:58
Bretonnia is off-course the parody of questing knights. And it's hillarious that allthough the Bretonnian knights are the most glorious and self sacrificing lot in all of Warhammer, the Bretonnian pesantry are the most opressed in all of Warhammer. Just hillarious.

HELL YES!!!

Dang, I mean questing knights and whatnot....but the peasants are beat over with a stick..... sounds kinda french ;P

Born in lust for blood
06-17-2007, 19:59
Everything.
To the gothic knights and witch hunters of the Empire, the grim knights of brettonia, the wild wood elves, the superstar high elves, the twisted dark elves and the evil chaos. And all the other races.

Taranaich
06-17-2007, 20:11
I guess I enjoy the no-nonsense aspect of Warhammer: it's about war and nothing else, with no pretensions of one race being the good guys and another the bad. I think they did it more successfully ambiguous in 40k, but it's still refreshing that no race is inherently good, and all of the races could be considered evil, apart from the Lizardmen, who seem just about the definition of neutrality (neutrality in a "Beat the tar out of everyone equally" sense, not in a fence-sitter sense).

Personally I think the original orcs of LOTR were pretty neat, as were the elves before D&D warped them into anorexic male models, but honestly how can you beat the big greenskins?

My faves are the lizardmen, though I preferred the original look: the aztec style is very evocative, but I don't like the tusks and crests, the don't look "lizardy" enough for me. I take it that the mod will be based on the up-to-date Frilled Lizards as opposed to the earlier ones?

Eufarius
06-17-2007, 22:50
Empire. nuff said

Krazysigmarite
06-18-2007, 03:35
http://www.imagehangar.com/uploads/large/94069400_1182133960.jpg

Karl Kopinski's Luthor Huss
That basically sums it up.

Dogman55
06-18-2007, 03:38
[QUOTE=Taranaich]apart from the Lizardmen, who seem just about the definition of neutrality (neutrality in a "Beat the tar out of everyone equally" sense, not in a fence-sitter sense).QUOTE]

Amen to that. Why have friends when you can woop everyones ass?

Jubal_Barca
06-20-2007, 22:07
Short stout beardy things. with catapults. And guns. And axes. And BEER!

Any guesses what army I play... ?

alexader
06-20-2007, 22:31
I think Dwarves,right?(by the way i am playing Empire):egypt:

Murfios
06-20-2007, 22:59
The scotish accent in Dwarves.

alexader
06-21-2007, 15:23
yes, I think the most suitable is the scottish accent for dwarves,this is perfect

Spankfurt
06-23-2007, 18:50
The names of the empire(germans make me laugh)

And also, like dacrazymofo said, How the empire, just normal humans, got to be as powerfull as it is against masses or orcs, undead chaos monsters and all the other massive scary things

aeow
06-23-2007, 22:17
I love how a little rat about as powerful as... well a rat is laughed at, but at 5pts each you might just be a little screwed:whip:

Twinathon
06-24-2007, 13:46
I saw in a match report that there was about 25-40 high elf model(one was a bolt thrower) against 225 goblins, itsz just so awsome that its possible to field armies this big using so little points.

I'm a Greebskin collector, I also love the fact that if your mage sucks his head could explode or somehow managed to make a more effective version of the spell.

Eufarius
06-24-2007, 19:14
hey welcome to the forums!

Dave1984
07-02-2007, 13:52
yes, I think the most suitable is the scottish accent for dwarves,this is perfect

Scottish/Welsh, depending on region, as seen in SotHR... that worked well for me!

thrashing mad
07-03-2007, 23:48
Since my adventure with Warhammer started with WFRP, I mostly love it`s universe for it`s dark complexity, and cool renesaince decadent atmosphere.:yes:

essi2
07-05-2007, 17:32
WAR...... just perpetual war:whip: now that's what I love about Warhammer:yes:

and then there is......... well EVERYTHING:balloon2:

Jubal_Barca
07-15-2007, 11:33
Beards and beer. Yes, I play Dwarves.

I like halflings too though.

Bwian
07-15-2007, 16:35
So far, we got the beards and beer angle well covered! Still got a few more units to add to their build list, and I need to have a go at the siege weapons too.

Jubal_Barca
07-15-2007, 16:49
Would my old WHTW/RTW mortar and cannon models be of any use?

Bwian
07-15-2007, 18:07
Not sure.... thanks for the offer. It really depends on how much they have changed the specs on these things. If I can convert them, I will let you know :2thumbsup:

ellydog
08-06-2007, 23:24
I love the fact how hordes of little guys charge, and then followed by massive monsters, no balanced army taking victory.

DaCrAzYmOfO
08-07-2007, 06:04
What you mean no balanced army wins? I never played warhammer tabletop so I wouldnt know, I just hear that heroes can take out entire regiments and what not with the right equipment, just like the bleeping blood dragons, which take away the whole point of armies.

But still, what do you mean? So you send in the cannon fodder first then follow up with monsterS? Isnt that a waste of potential attack power/meat to hold the enemy while you flank with shock units or your heroes?

Krazysigmarite
08-07-2007, 06:27
In 5th edition Warhammer, heroes were the central point of most warhammer battles and were easily able to take on entire regiments alone.

We are now in 7th edition, which is focused on combined forces - Sure, a dragon is powerful, but is it worth the potential 4-5 core units you could take instead of it? Heroes are also much easier to kill, and sending one against a regiment alone is suicide, unless it's one of those super-expensive faux-pas-to-take-in-a-normal-battle "Unique Heroes" that the army books feature - Archaon, Zacharias the Everliving, etc...

DaCrAzYmOfO
08-07-2007, 07:10
Ahhh so only the uber ones like tyrion can bone entire armies then...I see...

Well I always thought that warhammer had its own different style with each army.

I see Brettonia uses the norm in medieval tactics which was a heavy cavalry charge followed by a peasant rush (WOOO). Then the cavalry wheels around and hits the flank again...unless its dead that is.

I dont know much about the empire... How do they stack up in tactics? I know they are very mechanical when it comes compared to brettonia

Decker
08-07-2007, 07:32
I don't know much but I'd say the Empire is probably one of the more strait forward armies to use considering the amount of flexibility with them.
If I had the money and time I'd have either a Tomb Kings army or a Lizardman army. The Skaven are a fun bunch(kinda like a different version of orks I suppose) with their warp cannons blowing themselves and their crews up and misfiring into their own ranks(doh!). And I tend to think the High Elves as an elitist force considering(from what I remember anyways) that their armies on the TT were usually smaller than most but could definitely hold their own.

Krazysigmarite
08-07-2007, 07:56
Bretonnia relies on its cheap, but moderately effective infantry to hold down enemy units so its very powerful and numerous heavy cavalry can deliver killing blows. They use very old-school medieval tactics - think Medieval France or England (before the introduction of the welsh longbow.)

The Empire is much more based around infantry, and the selection available to the Empire is far more flexible. Swordsmen are well trained and can easily hold their own against elven units, where halberdiers are able to crush enemy armor and kill orcs more effectively. The Empire also has handgunners, which are devestating ranged units, great for killing heavily armored expensive shock troops. They have a vast selection of very effective artillery, and their Knights are heavily armored and some of the better heavy cavalry available to any faction. The Empire also has its oddball units, Greatswords which are heavily armored shock troops that almost never run, and Flagellants, Crazy Sigmarites:yes: which never never run. They've even got mounted skirmishes - Pistoliers and Outriders! Yes, mounted and armoured nobles armed to the teeth in all manner of experimental and sometimes reliable blackpowder weaponry.

The Empire can really use any tactic based on the unit choices, they have such a balanced and flexible army, which is partly the cause of their popularity. The only problem with the Empire's flexibility is the lack of super-soldiers and monsters that many other factions feature. (trolls, ogres, daemons, swordmasters, bone-giants, etc...)

This is assuming we omit the Steam Tank :artist:

DaCrAzYmOfO
08-07-2007, 08:35
Yes yes, I understand the part of them using ancient tactics...BUT WHAT THE HECK ARE THESE TACTICS? im sorry I just use hammer and anvil ;P

ellydog
08-07-2007, 12:37
What you mean no balanced army wins? I never played warhammer tabletop so I wouldnt know, I just hear that heroes can take out entire regiments and what not with the right equipment, just like the bleeping blood dragons, which take away the whole point of armies.

But still, what do you mean? So you send in the cannon fodder first then follow up with monsterS? Isnt that a waste of potential attack power/meat to hold the enemy while you flank with shock units or your heroes?

That is a valid tactic, tire and weaken the enermy then send in the big guys. btw im mostly refering to skaven has they vary so much in size and strengh. Of coarse if your boring you could go bretonia with a tactic thats alredy been used.

Didz
08-15-2007, 13:02
I had that discussion today, all hung over from an all nighter of Guitar Hero2. I've studied plenty of philosophy and we analysed fantasy role playing games. Especially AD&D and Warhammer.
Interesting....I had a university professor monitor my PBEM game of WFRP for a while. He was interesting in the motivations behind roleplaying games and why they were so popular. He monitored playing styles and talked with the players. Could not persuade him to take a role in the game though. Which was a shame as I was going to make him some sort of nutty professor from Nuln University, the entire game was based in Nuln at the time.

Spankfurt
08-16-2007, 06:44
Sound's like you had a good education :)

I play a DE army, and havn't played many battles yet....but 'd llike to think that i use a kind of flanking tactic....with lot's of cavalry...

Anyway, i'm just wondering....what are your view's on the different races' most commonly used strategy's. For instance, Brettonian's rely heavily on powerfull masses of cavalry, with cheap infantry to hold the enemy up.

DaCrAzYmOfO
08-16-2007, 07:58
Hmm... yes traditional medieval warfare with cavalry and what not...yuh I'm more interested in the other crazier tactics like eating people such as the ogres lol, but yeah whats up with the lizards? What do they use? I would suppose they make use of the skinks for hit and runs and finish off with sexxy saurus and kroxigors or a stegadon charge? Or just blast an entire army with the venerable kroak lmao

Sorry for spelling I just typed like crazy lol

Didz
08-16-2007, 11:01
Anyway, i'm just wondering....what are your view's on the different races' most commonly used strategy's. For instance, Brettonian's rely heavily on powerfull masses of cavalry, with cheap infantry to hold the enemy up.
There's no shortage of information available on WFB Army tactic's.

Try this site for a start http://galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu/~tomcat/warhammer/armies.htm

The advice on Lizardmen Armies is to make the most of their masses of ranged and skirmish units. Lizard armies tend to have high range skills and relatively low melee skills so lots of skirmishing around a solid core of heavy units. Sounds a bit like playing with a MTW2 eastern army.

Chuffy
08-16-2007, 13:15
Been playing since 5th ed with the same Orc and Goblin army. :D

Bit angry at how much Goblins got nerfed in the new book though.

I just love the world. Its basically different countries, kingdoms and states from history mashed together in a fantasy setting. Individually each 'side' may not seem very original, but when you consider you can have 16th century Holy Roman Empire infantry fighting undead egyptian chariots its awesome and very fresh.

Jubal_Barca
08-16-2007, 15:26
I play dwarves and am angry about how goblins got nerfed - my best mate's gobbo horde is no challenge. goblins aren't as tough as they used to be... it was all better in my day... (puffs on pipe)

Decker
08-17-2007, 06:42
I play dwarves and am angry about how goblins got nerfed - my best mate's gobbo horde is no challenge. goblins aren't as tough as they used to be... it was all better in my day... (puffs on pipe)
Do you guys ever play the gobos with the old rules still?

Spankfurt
08-18-2007, 05:30
You could, but that might further mess up other rules....And to get used to it for actual games :P

Decker
08-18-2007, 05:48
You could, but that might further mess up other rules....And to get used to it for actual games :P
True, but sometimes you can have a lotta fun doing that and sometimes come up with hybrid type games. That's always a treat.

Jubal_Barca
08-18-2007, 18:18
My friend once played a game with 4th (I think) ed rules for the O&G. I got pwnt, gobbos had a better statline, were cheaper and had cheaper upgrades.

Chuffy
08-18-2007, 19:52
Either they weren't 4th ed rules or your friend was cheating.

Goblins statlines are pretty much the same in 7th ed as they were in 4th and 5th. However in 6 and as an extension 7th Night Goblins became I3 and LD5, while common goblins became I2 and LD6. 6th ed is I believe the cheapest goblins have been, in 4th and 5th they were 2 1/2 points and their upgrades weren't cheaper, they just had more options. Of course their characters were better, but everyones characters were better than they are now.

But yeah I can't see any reason for GW nerfing goblins in 7th. They are more expensive, don't generate power dice, Night Goblin Shamans have to pay for their mushrooms, netters are worse and more expensive and Goblin chariots are now only one for a single special choice. Greenskins weren't broken in any way, the only real problem of the army was choppa's not being a very attractive option...and that has been fixed. Everything else worked fine, the army was actually quite low down on the power spectrum compared to the vast majority of other WH armies. 7th ed has made Greenskins even weaker for no good reason other than the fact GW are awful at playtesting.

Abokasee
08-26-2007, 15:44
In 5th edition Warhammer, heroes were the central point of most warhammer battles and were easily able to take on entire regiments alone.

We are now in 7th edition, which is focused on combined forces - Sure, a dragon is powerful, but is it worth the potential 4-5 core units you could take instead of it? Heroes are also much easier to kill, and sending one against a regiment alone is suicide, unless it's one of those super-expensive faux-pas-to-take-in-a-normal-battle "Unique Heroes" that the army books feature - Archaon, Zacharias the Everliving, etc...

A black orc warboss with some good wargear to the max can take down a 20 man Empire swordsmen regiment, as long as it attacks first... otherwise, he is screwed, its better just stick him some other black orcs and wade a path of destruction, or stop moving INFRONT of a regiment of 20 dwarven thunderers, and BAM 15 black orcs gone, they run away, and get shot again, and all die... :rifle:

Gnashfang
11-15-2007, 03:38
Scottish/Welsh, depending on region, as seen in SotHR... that worked well for me!

Ah, I'm Welsh! :D That just reminds me of Terry Pratchett drwarfs, XD They're Welsh too. :2thumbsup: Wouldn't the dwarves be sort of, slavic accents in a way though? Judging by where they live.

Pantsalot
11-15-2007, 18:28
I think the Game Workshop only chose a Scottish accent for Dwarves because
it was more rough than a Norwegian accent (when speaking English)
But Dwarves having been a myth created by Vikings then they would
have Norwegian accents.
Bad idea to have Dwarves with Welsh accent, don't think they'd really
suite it & the fact it seems to have only been thaught of by a writer
then that is not enough of a reason to have it. Maybe try Woodelves (if u ever make them
with Welsh, sry if that seems to be a rediculous idea as I haven't heard
my Welsh cousins speak in a while so I can barely remember the accent.

Dave1984
11-15-2007, 20:13
Ah, I'm Welsh! :D That just reminds me of Terry Pratchett dwarfs, XD They're Welsh too. :2thumbsup: Wouldn't the dwarves be sort of, slavic accents in a way though? Judging by where they live.

Some of them are based on the Welsh- Rhys Rhysson in The Fifth Elephant, for example, but alot of them have your generic "Nordic" stylings. I think to be honest Dwarves would have different accents based on whichever mountain or hall they're from. Perhaps time has dulled my memory, but I remember hearing the Dwarves in Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat, and one of the accents one of them had on that was a very gruff, well I suppose you'd call it a Yorkshire accent. To me, that fit just as well as a Scottish accent, which in some instances fits but for me personally it shouldn't be the be all and end all of Dwarven accents. As I said before, I reckon the accents would vary, just like humans.
Again, I think with Dwarves there's the scope to have all of these accents, and it's definitely highly likely that there'd be a great many with a generic sort of Slavic accent.

As for the suggestion that the Wood Elves would have Welsh accents, well, I agree, but whereas I'd suggest a very thick valleys accent for some Dwarves*, I'd suggest a very well spoken Welsh accent for the Wood Elves- like the ones you can hear that often sound like received pronunciation but do have a definite Welsh lilt in there as well.

*Just thinking about it, perhaps the reason that the gruff Northern English accent and the Welsh valleys accent fit so well in my mind is because of the famous mines in those places and the very common thing about Dwarves and mining. Just a thought.

Pantsalot
11-15-2007, 21:33
Well York was a Viking colony in England (& the Vikings continued a little
from their). Though I can't remember what the accent was like so I can't
really help judge.. I have a bad memory.. & their r facts that Slav's had
decended from the Swedish Vikings so that might as well have something
to do with their accent suiting a Dwarf.

This has become a very international subject, Vikings, Scots, Welsh, Slavs,
& now English.. :inquisitive:

Jubal_Barca
11-16-2007, 17:42
I've always imagined Dwarfs as Irish accent...

Myrddraal
11-16-2007, 19:07
Irish? No I couldn't imagine that, they'd be too much like Leprechauns then :smile:

DrZoidberg
11-16-2007, 19:34
I think the Game Workshop only chose a Scottish accent for Dwarves because
it was more rough than a Norwegian accent (when speaking English)
But Dwarves having been a myth created by Vikings then they would
have Norwegian accents.
Bad idea to have Dwarves with Welsh accent, don't think they'd really
suite it & the fact it seems to have only been thaught of by a writer
then that is not enough of a reason to have it. Maybe try Woodelves (if u ever make them
with Welsh, sry if that seems to be a rediculous idea as I haven't heard
my Welsh cousins speak in a while so I can barely remember the accent.

That's rubbish. They've got Norse helmets but everything else is Welsh miners. So I'd say the dialect fits.