PDA

View Full Version : KotR Imperial Diet IV

Pages : [1] 2 3

econ21
06-29-2007, 21:11
[OOC] This thread is for players in the King of the Romans PBM to post in character public deliberations in the Imperial Diet. All out of character debate should be conducted in the OOC thread.

The Diet has two main functions: to elect a Chancellor, who manage the Empire, and to pass Edicts that will direct the Chancellor.

The Diet will be chaired by the Kaiser or the Diet Speaker. The Prinz may deputise if both are unavailable.

Edicts need to be formally proposed as follows:

Edict 11.1This House directs the Chancellor to occupy Hamburg.

where 11.1 refers to the first proposed edict of the eleventh session of the Diet.

Edicts need two seconders (who should explicitly use the word "second" when supporting a motion) before they can be put to the vote. Where edicts conflict, the one with more votes takes precedence.

List of edicts and charter amendments proposed in the Eleventh Diet

Edict 11.1: The Chancellor is ordered to immediately request a Crusade with Jerusalem as the target. Regardless of whether the Crusade is approved or not, at least one full-sized army is to be sent to retake the Holy City of Jerusalem post-haste. After capture, the city is to be immediately given to the Pope.
Proposed: Conrad Salier
Seconders: Jan von Hamburg, Anselhelm

Edict 11.3:This Edict will be a complete copy of Edict 10.4
An expeditionary force will march on Moscow, via Russian - not Polish - provinces (Riga, Novogorod etc). It must engage any enemy field armies it meets along the way, but only besiege Moscow. It will consist of a single stack and will not be reinforced except from locally recruited mercenaries. Moscow will be sacked and abandoned, although no buildings will be destroyed.
Next to that this Edict will continue through Diet Sessions and even though Moscow might not have been taken by 1280 the crusade will go on till it has been taken.
Proposed: Anselhelm
Seconded: Duke Arnold, Conrad Salier

Edict 11.4: A suitable bride will be sought out for Duke Arnold to ensure the ancestral house of Austria and the structure of the Reich remain as designed by out forefathers.
Duke Arnold has the right of refusal on any proposals.
Proposed: Duke Arnold
Seconded: Anselhelm, Sigismund von Mahren

(Ducal Edict)Edict 11.5: The Hungarian Capital of Bran will be taken by Austrian forces and be lead by a general of House Austria.
Proposed: Duke Arnold
Seconded: Karl Zirn, Sigismund von Mahren

Charter Amendment 11.1 (Previously Edict 11.2): The four dukes and King Salier shall meet and discuss the events Siegfried's ascencion to the throne as well as any questions of any legitamacy. Afterwards a vote shall be cast on whether he will be allowed to retain his throne
Proposed: Friedrich Scherer
Seconded: Duke Arnold, Gerhard Steffen

Old and out-dated information in spoiler.

Diet Speaker: Now that the Second Emergency Diet Session has ended, we await the results of the impeachment vote against Chancellor Hummel with bated breadth.

If the Chancellor is impeached, Kaiser Jobst has indicated that he will exercise his royal perogative and become Chancellor in his place.

Regardless of who is Chancellor, the current state of the Reich is recorded in the following scrolls:

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/kotr1244.zip

We now return to our normal programme of deliberation and debate...

Ignoramus
06-30-2007, 06:40
A Swabian page runs into the Diet with an ashen expression on his face.

Mein lords, Ulrich Hummel has perished fighting the Turks! It appears that he could not bear the humiliation of impeachment and decided to die fighting.

His son, Wolfgang Hummel, was with him as he charged the Turks. Due to his bravery, the Reich managed to defeat Ulrich's slayers.

The page rushes out of the Diet.

Cecil XIX
06-30-2007, 06:57
Sigismund von Mahren is stunned. He pauses for a moment, expecting someone to say something. Eventually he rises.

Regardless of how he conducted himself in life, Ulrich Hummel his died an honorable death. No more shall I speak ill of him, for the manner in which a man chooses to end in life speaks for than any single moment in which he lived it. I will join his son Wolfgang in honoring the loss of this servant of the Reich.

I also propose that the Diet observe a moratorium on critiscism of the Count, though I doubt that there are any men here who's words would not be tempered by such an event. Let the Lord be the only one to judge him from here on. Godspeed.

gibsonsg91921
06-30-2007, 15:55
I have said many bad things about Ulrich Hummel in this Diet. I have demanded his head, called him a pig, a fool, and a toad's wart. However, his death troubles me deeply and forces me to reconsider his life - he was a powerful man, consumed by ambition. The story of Ulrich Hummel (OOC: iggy - you should write a life's story in the stories thread, it'd be sweet. hummel has the most interesting story of all) is a true tragedy, but I am sure that dying in battle was the death he desired, rather than bearing impeachment on his shoulders for the rest of his long life. It is a true tragedy when one so young must go.

AussieGiant
07-02-2007, 18:25
My Kaiser,

I'd like to request that Lord Zirn, be given command of an army in the East. He is a full knight of the Reich and a loyal and patient servent of the empire. As the only representative of Austria in the east I'd like to point out that Lord Zirn has, up until this time, been given command of zero forces and been involved in zero battles.

He is near Wolfgang Hummel and the army being apparently made for him. I find this difficult to understand as the young Hummel is unknighted and therefore unable to lead the Reich's armies into battle at this time.

I would request this is changed as soon as possible Kaiser.

I await your response my Lord.

Duke Arnold.

Warluster
07-02-2007, 23:24
Of course Duke Arnold, my mistake. I shall give full leadership of the Iconicum Offensive Army to Lord Zirn.

I, mourn Ulrich Hummel's death, and understand his actions. As he was a fellow Swabian, I am truly... mourning. I hope no more lords...suicide.

OverKnight
07-03-2007, 01:58
Matthias speaks:

Concerning the troops in Scotland and how to retrieve them, I assume they came with the purchased territories. Unless they are valuable in some way, instead of spending money to retrieve them, we could just disband them, and let the local levies return to their homes.

Sending ships will take time, and this is the best way to remove the troops quickly so as to not offend England.

OverKnight
07-03-2007, 13:26
Matthias looks at some reports and speaks again.

There appears to be a small army of rebels outside the gates of Florence. If I'm not taking ship immediately, I'd be happy to lead the garrison of Florence against them. I believe I am the closest noble not otherwise occupied.

I know I'm not a Knight, but a presence of a Bavarian noble might stiffen the resolve of the four Militia units and allow them to defeat the two units of Italian spearmen and one gaggle of peasants that would oppose us.

It is, of course, the Kaiser's decision.

Ituralde
07-03-2007, 16:05
It saddens me to hear that Ulrich Hümmel escaped the judgement imposed by this Assembly. I hope he has time to consider his deeds in Purgatory and I congratulate our Emperor Jobst on claiming Chancellorship, I have faith that he will manage to restore what Hümmel has destroyed and lead the Empire back on track.

AussieGiant
07-03-2007, 16:43
My Kaiser,

Specific orders for House Austria are to follow soon. Please ensure all tax levels are immediately set to yellow or green levels in the mean time.

Duke Arnold

----------------------
Walking into the Diet Chamber, Duke Arnold is still clearly in his Field Armour, blood can be seen covering most of his arms and chest. There are numerous tears and indents in his mail and plate.

My Kaiser,

House Austria orders for the next year.

Myself, the AHA and Sigismund are to consolidate and move to join the expelled Budapest garrison. Then siege Budapest until maximum siege equipment is built and attack.

Lord Zirn is to consolidate with the younger Wolfgang Hummel and lead the army begin created to conduct the following action:

Wolfgang Hummel and 3 units of dismounted Knights and 2 catapaults, has moved not far from Adana, where a large army is being trained for Wolfgang, so he can take the settlement of Iconicum

All Austrian holdings must be set to yellow or green taxation levels.

Vienna
Prague
Zagreb
Venice
Budapest
Ragusa

Damascus

I would also like to ask how Lord Zirn can be given some permanent force in the East. He has been there since the 2nd Crusade and in my mind should be rewarded for his loyalty and service to the empire. As one of the senior Reich nobles in the east and the ONLY member of House Austria I would request some plan of how you wish to use his services in the future.

Duke Arnold

GeneralHankerchief
07-03-2007, 20:04
Conrad Salier:

With all due respect, Duke Arnold, I believe the orders you gave for the army in Outremer fall under my jurisdiction.

AussieGiant
07-03-2007, 20:59
Conrad Salier:

With all due respect, Duke Arnold, I believe the orders you gave for the army in Outremer fall under my jurisdiction.

Apologies King Salier, it was not my intention to infringe upon your jurisdiction. Perhaps I can contact you directly for further requests, which is all wording was meant to be.

I thought this troop movement was now agreed and was simply repeating it for more clarity regarding Austrian Nobles and units they are leading.

Warluster
07-03-2007, 23:03
Remember all, King Salier is the one you contact on anything with Outremer.

Matthias, you can not fight those rebels, as your ship shall be arriving soon. If you miss the ship, I'm afraid you have to stay in Italy.

DUke Arnold, if I am mistaken, isn't young Wolfgang Hummel Swabian? If not, someone please correct me.

OverKnight
07-03-2007, 23:16
Mein Kaiser, believe me, my first desire is to finally be on my way to Outremer. I merely proposed facing the rebels if my departure was delayed by other reasons, such as a lack of ships. I thank you for getting me on my way.

I am concerned however that my Father, Duke Gerhard, might not have enough troops to take Caligari on Sardinia. He has five units, including the new Franconian Jens von Kassel (unassigned avatar), and there are rumors (I clicked on the Castle) that there are ten Milanese units there. We don't know the composition, but they must be castle trained. Ulrich Hummel was a fool and his poor plans and execution have ensured the initial failure of both invasions.

Perhaps Markus, Lothar and the Corsica forces should be brought south to assist? Once Caligari is captured, the combined force could move back north to Corsica and hunt down the witch before laying siege to Ajaccio. With Hummel's fumbling, we aren't going to meet the time limit set anyway. At this point I would settle for the competent completion of the Edict.

It is only a suggestion, I will leave the planning to more experienced Electors.

Warluster
07-03-2007, 23:24
I was under the impression that Duke Gerhad wanted to command the army, with current forces. Though, if it means a Duke is in danger, I shall send forward some more regiments to back them up.

Lothar and Markus have retreated from Corisca because of the witch, and I shall send over, some other friends of mine to finish the job. Of course if Lothar and Markus want to do some hunting, they'll be more then welcome...

Matthias, I must warn you. It is very dangerous route travelling over the seas. As our largest fleet is on a mission somewhere else, we only have a rather small fleet. I'd advise you travel with Hans.

There are a few Turkish Diplomats and the like annoying us, I shall have to send over a suprise...

AussieGiant
07-03-2007, 23:26
Remember all, King Salier is the one you contact on anything with Outremer.

DUke Arnold, if I am mistaken, isn't young Wolfgang Hummel Swabian? If not, someone please correct me.

King Salier, Kaiser,

My Lords,

I understand your points entirely but please note Lord Zirn is my vassal therefore he is under my command. I'm not sure how that works in Outremer but no Duke in the Reich believes he has lost a noble due to them simply being located in the East.

Likewise Wolfgang Hummel is certainly not Austrian, however he is unknighted and therefore can not lead an units into battle. The comment was simply to ensure there is some understanding.

Duke Arnold

GeneralHankerchief
07-03-2007, 23:41
Conrad Salier:

I have no doubt that Lord Zirn is your vassal and still under your command. However, as a Crusader Count, your command over him is somewhat limited. You can call him back, certainly, but you do not control his movements. Currently Lord Zirn is leading an Imperial force, and is thus subject to the Kaiser and the Kaiser alone's command.

Remember, the only armies that Dukes (and Kings of Outremer, for that matter) control are the House Armies.

I also question why Iconium is to be taken. I do not recall any Edict calling for its capture. I also know that it will not become part of Outremer, because the Kingdom is complete.

gibsonsg91921
07-03-2007, 23:55
There is an Edict calling for Iconium's capture and to have it granted to the Byzantine Empire, King Salier.

AussieGiant
07-03-2007, 23:55
Arnold:

Considering he was not being utilised until I made comment, this whole thing has had the desired effect. At least he is now involved in Outremer which was certainly debateable up until this point.

I certainly also am concerned that Iconium is being targeted for attack. There is no edict authorising this as far as I know. Péter von Kastilien, can you name the edict for clarification?

gibsonsg91921
07-03-2007, 23:59
Verily, Duke Arnold, 'tis Edict 10.5.

Warluster
07-03-2007, 23:59
Question Duke Arnold? What question?

I believe Count Peter is right, was that your question. If not, I must've missed it I'm afraid.

OverKnight
07-05-2007, 08:11
Matthias belatedly responds to the Emperor:

Mein Kaiser, a sea passage may be risky, but I will take any route that gets me to Outremer as soon as possible. If it is overland so be it, but if there is a fleet available, I will take it.

Either way I wish to set out as soon as possible, as a Crusader Count, I should be in the Holy Land.

Warluster
07-05-2007, 09:47
I have, somewhat, bad news about the Invasion of Sardina.

Recently I discovered, there is in fact already a fellow catholic nation siegeing the Settlement on Sardina.

A large Spanish army, with a large Sicillian Army nearby, is already siegeing Caglari. Unless the Spanish retreat, the invasion of Sardina is going to be either postboned or cancelled. Unless we want war with the Spanish.

OverKnight
07-05-2007, 10:45
Matthias speaks again.

If the Spaniards want Sardinia so badly, let them take it. We can't give away what we don't have. We should move on Corsica now, with enough men to sorround and eliminate that witch! Then, and only then, can we put paid to the Milanese.

I wish a great wave would consume both Islands, like Atlantis of old, but we must finish the job ourselves. Sorrounding the witch will be difficult (OOC: Moving men while having to deal with the Castle's zone of control) but it is doable. I doubt any of our priests can succesfully denounce the witch Danae.

AussieGiant
07-05-2007, 15:46
Arnold stands to speak

It seems our delays regarding the Milanese have lead to us losing the initiative. If Spain can solve one island then Bavaria can deal with the other.

That witch is going to be a real problem though. I'd be inclined to surround the island with ships and blockade the entire place. Maybe she will die soon?

GeneralHankerchief
07-05-2007, 18:50
Conrad Salier:

She is rather young, I believe.

The optimal strategy would be to pin her against the hills of Corsica, with the army of course.

AussieGiant
07-05-2007, 21:50
Conrad Salier:

She is rather young, I believe.

The optimal strategy would be to pin her against the hills of Corsica, with the army of course.

Raising his head in startled alarm...Arnold suddenly grins and responds

So let me get this straight King Salier,

Arnold face turns to one of complete innocence before he continues

You're recommending pinning the young witch against the hills in Corsica?

Is this to be done by an entire army, as you mention...or just one individual, such as you my Lord??

Stig
07-05-2007, 22:33
Ansehelm
Wouldn't it be easier to send in a cardinal or two, surely they should be able to cope with her. Afterall, they are cardinal.

GeneralHankerchief
07-06-2007, 00:16
Conrad Salier:

Duke Arnold, unlike some people, I would never make jokes out of that vulgar subject.

As for sending Cardinals, it is a good idea, but think. The way that piety is mostly raised is through converting heathen populations to Christianity. Now, the place from where our Cardinals would come from is Italy. Not exactly known for its heathen population, is it?

FactionHeir
07-06-2007, 03:18
I ask you lords to be careful in sending priests to denounce that wretched witch. You may recall that during my chancellorship, the witch Bendis at Adana killed both a priest and a cardinal during their attempts to denounce her until another priest of ours finally burned her at the stake.

Northnovas
07-06-2007, 04:46
A reminder to the Chancellor that the taxation is too high and we are getting unrest in our cities. I would recommend some financial constraint from the Treasury and reduce the taxation levels in all of our cities to let things stabilize through out the Reich.

OverKnight
07-06-2007, 05:15
Matthias looks at the latest reports and pales a bit:

I must second what Count Zirn has said. Currently there are five cities where the residents are rioting, dragging the taxmen from their houses and killing them:

Venice (70% happiness)
Milan (55%)
Bologna (60%)
Marseille (45%)

Our own capital, Rome is the worst (20%), looking out the windows of this very building, I can see smoke and flames from parts of this city burning. If this rioting is not addressed soon, very soon, we will be expelled from our capital, and we will lose more cities like we lost Budapest.

Kaiser Jobst, you were quite concerned over the level of unrest in Dijon when you left the city to pursue rebels during the reign of Chancellor von Kassel. Imagine the same concern I feel about Milan, or others for their cities, or all of us for the Eternal City. I beg your Majesty to act on this before it is too late!

I am also concerned that several of our settlements remain under the direction of non-nobles (auto-manage). This may result in poor decisions on recruitment and building, possibly violating build queues, in Edessa, Acre, Adana, Aleppo and Paris. I ask that the Kaiser addresses this as well.

It looks as if the Mongols are circling Mosul. I have no pity for the Turks, but Count Elberhard, with only 10 worn units, is within striking range of at least one full Mongol army. He should be withdrawn to Edessa, where reinforcements from Outremer castles can meet him.

Warluster
07-06-2007, 05:59
I will address the problem of the taxation levles a once mein friends.

As for the worry of the mingol armies attacking Count Elberhad, it can be seen to at once. Though we currently have most of our cities in Outremer producing units for other things, I am sure if Elberhad is worried he can take it up with King Salier.

TevashSzat
07-08-2007, 19:28
I have some pressing concerns to bring up. The SHA has decreased in size and training over these past years while the French military has only gotten bigger and more elite. If it weren't for my stragetical skills, there would be no doubt that Paris would have long been lost. I urge for the SHA to get new reinoforcements trained before even I cannot hold back the French

gibsonsg91921
07-08-2007, 19:52
I second Duke Scherer's plea.. The need for more powerful defensive armies is also apparent in Franconia, where we must endure wave after wave of cavalry-heavy armies with nothing to fight them with but a few spearmen. We need to ensure that Thorn and Paris have proper garrisons!

Stig
07-08-2007, 20:06
Ansehelm: The problem is that Thorn is always under siege and it's the only Franconian fortress that is capable of reinforcing. Magdeburg is currently busy with my army. We certainly need another castle in Northern Europe which is capable of producing the best units currently possible.

AussieGiant
07-08-2007, 20:43
I also would like to urge the Kaiser to keep the house armies at, or near full strength and with professional soldiers.

Our enemies are constantly grinding us down and we must ensure we defend the homeland at all costs. Only then do our offensive actions become relevant as it makes no sense to send armies to attack while we simultaneously lose provinces at home.

AussieGiant
07-11-2007, 15:39
Gentlemen of Franconia,

The situation in Thorn is truly amazing even to myself in Budapest many months south of your position.

At the next Diet session I am certainly going to request that we take Krakow and therefore try ease the constant attacks on your House.

I will volunteer the AHA for that task if you wish it.

Duke Arnold

Dutch_guy
07-11-2007, 19:39
At the next Diet session I am certainly going to request that we take Krakow and therefore try ease the constant attacks on your House.

Duke Arnold

We thank you for your offer of sending the AHA, but I'm sure our own forces are capable of taking Krakow - as it came close to doing a few terms of office back.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised we didn't take it then, and even more so that it's taking us such a long time to do so...

:balloon2:

AussieGiant
07-11-2007, 19:58
We thank you for your offer of sending the AHA, but I'm sure our own forces are capable of taking Krakow - as it came close to doing a few terms of office back.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised we didn't take it then, and even more so that it's taking us such a long time to do so...

Duke von Kastilien,

I will certainly support any edict you make on that front. Once Krakow is taken then I'm certain there will be very few incursions into Austrian territory by the Poles.

At least then I can focus the AHA solely on the Hungarian's.

Dutch_guy
07-11-2007, 20:04
Duke von Kastilien,

I will certainly support any edict you make on that front. Once Krakow is taken then I'm certain there will be very few incursions into Austrian territory by the Poles.

At least then I can focus the AHA solely on the Hungarian's.

I am pleased to hear that Arnold, it seems a German Krakow serves both our agenda's best.

I shall draft and propose such an edict during the next session, I hope you will not have changed your mind when the time to support it comes.

AussieGiant
07-11-2007, 20:26
I am pleased to hear that Arnold, it seems a German Krakow serves both our agenda's best.

I shall draft and propose such an edict during the next session, I hope you will not have changed your mind when the time to support it comes.

Arnold is frowning in consternation while speaking

My Dear Duke,

Watching the constant sieging of Thorn and the chaos and destruction up there over the years it is time to end it. It is much like the Milanese threat which has been going on for bloody years. It’s annoying to say the least!!

For short periods of time I can understand the enemy exposing our weaknesses and the fact we are clearly overstretched. Any good opponent would do this. What I can't stand is those situations remaining for periods of time without us collectively resolving them one way or the other.

Thorn has been constantly under attack and threats my entire life; therefore this situation has to be resolved in my opinion.

At this time Arnold begins smiling broadly and his tone lightens considerably at this point

And I can assure you my lord that I rarely change my mind unless I'm presented with an offer I can't refuse. This is something I learnt from my advisor, the previous Merchant of Venice.

Northnovas
07-11-2007, 20:28
The Count of Zagreb stands looking weary from many travels from the Outremer...

I will also support a Krakow edict if it defends the homeland. However, I have a more pressing concern regarding the interior of the Reich. I have been recorded already on this floor with my concerns to the Chancellor over the tax revolt that is taking place in the Reich. I have returned to Zagreb to personally assess the situation.
We must lower the taxes in our cities. These revolts take up resources that should be used on our enemies.
I again plead with you Chancellor to lower the taxes in our cities.
I would appreciate if there was calmness and public order in the Reich's cities while I am away honouring my duty in the Outremer.
Which I must prepare to return too very shortly.

AussieGiant
07-11-2007, 20:36
I support Lord Zirn entirely.

The repeated calls for calm and order in the provinces is too frequent to even repeat. It should be an immediate priority.

Stig
07-11-2007, 21:00
Ansehelm walks into the Diet in person, it can be clearly seen that he had had a short as possible journey, through some enemy controlled territory

I must say that I'm pleased to hear that other people here are concerned in Thorns safety. Securing Thorn is important to our eastern front, but remember, if we take Krakow it will simply pull all Polish attention on Krakow instead of Thorn, so we will have simply have the same trouble over and over again. And Krakow happens to be more difficult to defend. It's dangerous to station the FHA there as it's simply too far away from main Franconia, and it's also dangerous to leave the AHA there, as that will leave the rest of Austria open for Hungary.

The FHA is in it's current state not able to defend any city, and it will never be able to fully defend Franconia. Therefore taking Krakow with the FHA will be dangerous. The same counts for the AHA, first it will need to secure Budapest again. After that it needs to move out of it's zone of control to attack Krakow.

In Europe we will have six armies, the Imperial Army, currently defending Northern Franconia. The Swabian Household Army, or what's left of it, currently defending the Imperial City of Paris. The Bavarian Household Army, currently waiting for the witch to be taken of Corsica. The Austrian Household Army, which as far as I know is still near Hungarian territory under constant attack. The Franconian Household Army which is in the Franconian City of Thorn, but is no where near it's proper state. Lastly we will have the army for the Teutonic Crusade, but we will have to see what part of that army will actually come back from Moscow.
Once we've taken Corsica the BHA is more or less finished with it's job. And I doubt we need an entire army to defend Italy, as we only need to spot the Spanish and Sicilians. Maybe we should give the Bavarians a free role of supporting other Houses.
The FHA will be busy fending of the Poles and Russians, not to speak of the Danes. The SHA is busy defending against the French. And the AHA will be busy with Hungarians. The Imperial Army does what the Kaiser wishes. Our borders are too stretched to defend. Even now we need the Imperial Army to fill the gaps, we can't expand if we don't secure our own land. Believe me I will do all in my power to bring back a proper army from Russia, so that we will have a sixth army to defend the Reich, but now I'm wondering what will be there to defend, if so many cities are rebelling and so many enemies are attacking.

AussieGiant
07-11-2007, 21:47
Rising to speak after Ansehelm report Arnold begins pacing the Diet floor

Lord Ansehelm ,

I entirely agree with your general outline. I was not talking about taking Krakow until the next Diet session as we have standing legislation preventing that.

My timing was not clear and therefore I was not clear. By the time of the next Diet session I'm more than sure I will have retaken Budapest and will be in a position to take a closer look at Krakow.

At a strategic level, what I see is Krakow holding a position slightly too far South for the Franconia's to deal with and likewise slightly too far north for the my own Austrian House to easily deal with.

As you state Ansehelm, if Austria or Franconia take Krakow it will pull us too far from our central front to adequately defend it well.

Your thoughts on the BHA and its potential usage are intriguing. With the final island taken by the next Diet session the BHA would be relatively task free.

The Sicilian’s have been allies for longer than I can remember so I do not see them suddenly committing such a suicidal act as attacking us from the southern tip of the Italian peninsula.

Our southern border would potentially not need much protection.

There is much to ponder and certainly the idea of two house armies is gaining a legitimate momentum given our extended borders.

Stig
07-11-2007, 21:59
Ansehelm who just sat down rises again

I would agree to two household armies per house, but I would say that these secondary armies should be small and non offensive. Franconia could use one to defend Hamburg, and would Austria take Krakow it could use one to station there. Swabia is quite small and only has one front, so for them there's little use in such an army. And the Bavarian secondary army could defend Bavaria while it's household army helps other houses.
This is definitely worth an edict in my opinion

AussieGiant
07-11-2007, 22:17
Looking over at Ansehelm, Arnold says

Certainly a defensive half stack force of high quality troops such as DFK, Sergeant Spearmen and Crossbowmen with one unit of Horse plus the number two ranked House General would be ideal.

This could also be an intermediate position for the next House Duke for future commanding of the Household Army.

These holding forces could then allow the House Armies greater freedom.

OverKnight
07-12-2007, 23:04
Matthias paces the Diet chamber like a caged animal. He stops to speak:

If I am not to take ship to the Holy Land, then what am I doing still in Bologna's port?

I have been the Crusader Count of Adana for eight years and I have yet to leave Italy, or even receive marching orders in four!

If a passage to Outremer is impossible, even an overland one, then I ask that I be sent some place where I can be useful rather than watch the gulls fly over the Adriatic!

Matthias's outburst turns to grumbling as he continues pacing the chamber.

econ21
07-15-2007, 13:43
Diet Speaker: At the request of the Kaiser, I am calling an Emergency Session of the Diet. The Kaiser is currently unable to fulfill the role of Chancellor and has resigned from that post. The purpose of this Session is to sollicit manifestoes from candidates who wish to replace him as Chancellor. Given the urgency of the need to install a new Chancellor, this Emergency Diet session will last only 24 hours.

Although the Kaiser has not been impeached, I propose that we elect his replacement under the same conditions as layed out in articles (b), (c), (d) and (e) of Charter Amendment E2.1. To this I end, I propose:

Charter Amendment E3.1:
Amend Charter E2.1 to read:
(a) If an Edict to impeach the Chancellor is passed with a 2/3 majority or he resigns, he is removed from office immediately.
(b) After impeachment or resignation, a fresh election is held to elect a new Chancellor, although a Kaiser may also exercise his perogative to be Chancellor at that point.
(c) The Chancellor replacing an impeached or resigned Chancellor serves out the remainder of the impeached or resigned Chancellor's term.
(d) All edicts passed in the preceding regular Diet that elected the impeached Chancellor remain valid, unless overturned by new Edicts at an Emergency Session the Emergency Session that impeached him.
(e) An impeached or resigned chancellor is not granted the additional bonus to influence that an ex-chancellor would normally be given.

The amendments are marked in bold or by strike outs. Do I have two seconders for this Amendment?

Edicts and other Charter Amendments can also be proposed, but the function of this Emergency Session is primarily to find a replacement Chancellor. The deadline for the submission of manifestoes for the Chancellor's replacement, and for seconding any Edicts or Amendments is Monday 2pm (UK time). There will then be a 24 hour period of voting.

econ21
07-15-2007, 14:19
[Elberhard]:

Well, this is a right ... @#$%^&!!!ing pickle, isn't it?

Electors, the 10th Diet did not @#$%^&!!! mess about. It set out clear directions for our Reich. All we need now is a man to implement what we agreed. To this end, I put myself forward as a care-taker Chancellor. I propose the following eight point program:

1. I will work with the House of Franconia to launch the crusade on Moscow we agreed and secure Thorn.

2. I will work with the House of Bavaria to capture the Milanese islands.

3. I will work with the House of Swabia to rebuild their Household Army and protect our western borders.

4. I will work with the House of Austria to retake Budapest and secure our south eastern frontier.

5. I will work with the King of Outremer to take Iconium and defend our crusader settlements against the Horse Lords.

6. I will repair buildings damaged through rioting and make sure all city settlements are providing the militia they are obliged to provide freely to the Reich.

7. I will rebuild our naval forces, driving off the outrage of a Russian fleet marauding near Venice.

8. I will act promptly and report on my progress every two years.

OverKnight
07-15-2007, 14:44
Matthias looks up in shock from some fanciful scribblings about Byzantium.

Ah. . .well, this is a decade of firsts isn't it?

While this is an unfortunate outcome, I applaud the Kaiser's insight in realizing he was unable to fulfill the dual roles of Monarch and Chancellor.

I will second E3.1. I hope this is the last time such legislation will have to be used.

As for candidates, 24 hours doesn't give anyone much time to assemble a manifesto does it? I'd almost think that the Speaker and Count Elberhard were in cahoots. (:wink:)

OOC: Is the latest save posted, ie which year is it?

Stig
07-15-2007, 14:59
Ansehelm:
I also second E3.1

Also I wish to ask my fellow electors to not propose many new edicts, we don't need any, there's hardly anything to change, we got nowhere further.

And if no-one "challenges" Elberhard to care-taker Chancellorship I will be the other candidate.

gibsonsg91921
07-15-2007, 15:10
Brother, do you have an outline of your Chancellorship?

Ituralde
07-15-2007, 15:11
Having spent some time with Kaiser Jobst recently I can understand his decison to lay down his office. The rulings of the Imperial Army take up much of his time. I guess I don't need to tell anybody here how pressured our fronts are at the moment.

I support the amendments proposed by Elberhard and will also support his claim for office, unless someone else steps forward.

He casts a pointed look to Ansehelm.

Stig
07-15-2007, 15:11
Only if no-one challenges Elberhard, then I will give you some outline of what I will planning to do.

gibsonsg91921
07-15-2007, 15:16
Alright brother, I understand now.

(OOC: Econ was so fast in his Henry one, I'd vote for him if you didnt come up)

FactionHeir
07-15-2007, 17:30
I wonder whether Fredericus of Hamburg still wishes to consider standing for the position of chancellor as he is the most aged member of this diet body.

In lieu of that, I will not be standing for election during this emergency session unless there is large demand for my managerial ability to quickly salvage and rebuild the empire to its former glory.

GeneralHankerchief
07-15-2007, 17:43
Conrad Salier:

I request that, in the name of getting things done quicker, we allow Count Elberhard ascend to the office of Chancellor without opposition. If his ancestry is any indiciation, he will prove to be an able Chancellor. From his short time as Count of Edessa I have already seen his administration skills to be quite adequate.

AussieGiant
07-15-2007, 18:11
Striding in the Diet chamber Arnold has a scowl on his face

Gods teeth gentlemen it like a bloody revolving door here!!

Still Elberhard seems to like good food, wine, women and swearing so that makes him a good candidate to me.

I second E3.1!!

Likewise I suggest we do not make any further attempt at legislation. We have more than enough mandates to work with over the next 10 years. The issue is simply needing someone to finish the term.

I will think on whether to run over the next few hours.

With that, Arnold turns, gathers his advisors and heads towards the Austrian Chambers.

econ21
07-15-2007, 20:41
Elberhard:

@#$%^&!!! it! It looks like I've gone off half-@#$%^&ed!!! My brother Hans, raises an excellent point about Count Fredericus of Hamburg standing for Chancellor. Well done, Hans - you always was the brains in the family.

Electors, you don't need a @#$%^&!!!ing Jonny-come-lately like me to remind you that Fredericus was narrowly defeated by Ulrich Hummel at the last Chancellorship election. He is a good chap, who has served the Reich well for many years. His experience vastly outweighs my own. And, being both a Franconian and in Outremer, he is well qualified to oversee perhaps the two most tricky parts of this term's business: the crusade on Moscow and our defense against the Horse Lords.

I've communicated with Count Fredericus and he has expressed an interest in running for Chancellor. Consequently, I am withdrawing my half-@#$%^&!!! candidacy in favour of a better man.

I have volunteered, however, to run as Co-Chancellor for Count Fredericus. This is merely to spare the Diet from having to appoint a fourth Chancellor this term in the unhappy event that Count Fredericus is taken away from us before 1260. With all respect, Count Fredericus is a @#$%^&!!!ing great bloke, but he ain't no spring chicken.

AussieGiant
07-15-2007, 21:07
Arnold stands in his seat and pounds the table with his fist in frustration

On, off, on, off, up, down, in, out...

...what the hell is this Elberhard!!?? This is not meant to look like your ass in some hay loft with a serving wench!!

And isn't that just !"$$£"£"$ing stupid suggesting we elect someone that might not even live for another year??!!

No disrespect to Count Fredericus and I'm sure he is a @#$%^&!!!ing great bloke as you mention but Christ man...he's nearly dead. The last thing we need is more uncertainty...the bloody merchants are getting nervous, various agents I have in Hungary are reporting that we are being preceived as weak and unorganised...

...Christ, I'm even tempted to run now just for the hell of it.

Are you going to change your mind again Elberhard...or is this the end of it?

Stig
07-15-2007, 21:08
Ansehelm:
Well if we're not going to have a run for chancellorship I think things are easy. If it would be up to me Fredericus can get it, I would only run for chancellorship if Elberhard wouldn't get competition. He's a good man, and will surely make a good chancellor, I suggest you put yourself forward as candidate for the next full session Elberhard.

And I also think it's a great idea that we have a co-chancellor, as you say Fredericus isn't the youngest of us all, he's one of the last Mohicans, there are little like him left.

GeneralHankerchief
07-15-2007, 21:10
Conrad Salier:

No disrespect to Count Fredericus and I'm sure he is a @#$%^&!!!ing great bloke as you mention but Christ man...he's nearly dead.

That is why Elberhard is running as co-Chancellor.

AussieGiant
07-15-2007, 21:15
Conrad Salier:

That is why Elberhard is running as co-Chancellor.

Thanks for that, my point is, why even bother with a co-Chancellor position at all then?

GeneralHankerchief
07-15-2007, 21:19
Conrad Salier:

He is 57. The past two Kaisers died at 62.

Besides, there was no mention of his advanced age at the Diet Session when he was running for a full term. Now, considering the fact that he has had less to do then he would have had he won, and considering the fact that he will be completing his term on the exact same date as he would if he won back in 1240, I fail to see the problem.

Privateerkev
07-15-2007, 21:24
I also support the idea of my father taking the reigns of this chancellorship.

Ansehelm:
And I also think it's a great idea that we have a co-chancellor, as you say Fredericus isn't the youngest of us all, he's one of the last Mohicans, there are little like him left.

And my dear cousin, would you kindly restrain yourself from talking about my father in such a crude way in this august body? What is a "mohican" anyways?

flyd
07-15-2007, 21:30
I do feel the need to apologize to the Diet and to Elberhard. I now supplant him, even though I don't disagree with anything he proposed. In fact, if I didn't run, I would vote for him. So, why then, do I run?

The Reich is in disarray at the moment. It's true, there is no need to hide it. I've never seen anything like this, and I've seen an Emperor attack a Pope. It seemed like the worst thing that could possibly happen. It took a lot of time (and Popes) to fix that mess, but we had a series of good Chancellors who fixed it. Hummel's mess could have been undone too, and it's not like the current Emperor was doing a poor job, but he did choose a most inopportune time to resign, when the Reich needed stability more than anything else.

This is a very critical time, and I, personally, am not prepared to take any chances. I suspect that Elberhard would do well, but I can't be certain of it. He is Henry's son, but he has not accomplished much personally, yet. He makes good promises, but those are not enough anymore; after all, more than half of this Diet was fooled by Hummel's promises.

Still, I trust the man enough to be my co-Chancellor. It is a bit unprecedented (unless you count the Romans), but it's the best way to ensure stability. I may die before the term is out, but if you're still not convinced, then I pledge that if three of the five dukes and kings are unsatisfied with my progress, I'll let him take charge, and be his co-Chancellor. I'll be damned if we have another Diet session before 1260.

Stig
07-15-2007, 21:39
What is a "mohican" anyways
All my life I have lived in the high north, there were Nordic mercenaries here, and they talked about their ancestors who settled a far-away land where people lived who called themselves Mohicans ... and there over time more of them died and died. It's a long and boring story.

Privateerkev
07-15-2007, 21:45
All my life I have lived in the high north, there were Nordic mercenaries here, and they talked about their ancestors who settled a far-away land where people lived who called themselves Mohicans ... and there over time more of them died and died. It's a long and boring story.

Well...alright then...

*visibly relaxes*

I am just trying to help keep the tone around here...civil...

[OOC: Good save! :laugh4: ]

AussieGiant
07-15-2007, 22:04
Standing and addressing Fredericus directly

My Lord, you are certainly the man with the most experience amongst us all here in the Diet.

Having heard you speak, finally, I am more than relieved to hear your views on the Reich and ruling it for the next decade.

Do you have any opinions on what you will do in the time that you hold office?

Warluster
07-15-2007, 23:11
Kaiser Jobst stands

I did not wish to give the Reich more trouble, so I resigned.

But I wish for all of you to know, though I resigned as Chancellor, it does not mean my duties as Kaiser have slackened, and I shall put even more effort into being Kaiser.

FactionHeir
07-16-2007, 05:29
Then I shall applaud both Fredericus and Jobst for their work this term and in the coming ones.
I have no doubts that the empire will shine again in its former glory.

TinCow
07-16-2007, 11:50
I will damned well vote for my squire's mongrel dog if he would ensure that the attack on the Milanese islands was pressed home.

econ21
07-16-2007, 23:58
Diet Speaker: This Emergency session of the Diet is now closed. Count Fredericus of Hamburg is elected Chancellor unopposed!

gibsonsg91921
07-17-2007, 00:57
Hear hear!

OverKnight
07-17-2007, 02:20
Matthias looks about quizzically.

Congratulations to Chancellor von Hamburg, but what about the voting on the proposed Amendment?

I suggest we vote on it while the Chancellor carries out his duties.

econ21
07-17-2007, 02:35
(The Diet Speaker scurries in hurriedly, wearing a dressing gown and a long night cap.)

Diet Speaker: Goodness gracious, young Mathias Steffen is quite right! We must vote on Charter Amendment 3.1. I will set the scribes to organising the vote immediately.

FactionHeir
07-17-2007, 04:26
Congratulations to Chancellor von Hamburg.
I hope I may now set out for Outremer in earnest and arrive before the end of the term.

Ituralde
07-17-2007, 10:12
I am joyed to hear, that finally the reign has passed on to a Franconian. Fredericus the Crusader will finally pull us out of this mess and set the Reich back on track!

Dutch_guy
07-17-2007, 13:40
Congratulations to my fellow Franconian Fredericus. I am looking forward to the coming years, and I believe you are the man to lead our Reich to lighter days and lesser worries.

AussieGiant
07-17-2007, 15:29
I extend my congratulations to Fredericus for providing the steady hand we need for the coming years.

I must say, just when I thought things were getting back on track the Speak of the Diet goes and forgets legislative voting...

...I'm sure our fathers and grandfathers would be turning in their graves about all this.

Looking around to the Austrian benches Arnold retrieves his shield and sword while leaving the chamber

Sigismund!! where are you man?!!

THE CHANCELLOR HAS GIVEN HIS ORDERS, BUDAPEST WILL BE MINE OR YOU AND THE AUSTRIAN HOUSE ARMY WILL DIE TRYING!!!

The advisors and captains following Arnold can be seen looking at each other in startled alarm at this statement.

Cecil XIX
07-18-2007, 17:47
Here, lord!

Sigismund and his entourage quickly follow Duke Arnold.

OverKnight
07-19-2007, 00:30
Matthias is distraught by the news of his brother Markus's death.

This is. . .is terrible.

God, I wish the seas had swallowed that damned Island years ago! We have met nothing but pain there, and even this triumph was paid for in blood. Why did it have to be Markus?

I wish I had never proposed that edict. I wish Duke von Kassel had never proposed the first one. All this for some wind swept speck of dirt forgotten by God.

What a waste.

Matthias slumps over his desk and becomes silent.

GeneralHankerchief
07-19-2007, 00:46
Conrad Salier:

Why did it have to be Markus?

As opposed to?

Yes, we all grieve for Markus. Myself included. But please remember that wishing the unfortunate death upon another is not the way that Christ would want it. Markus died for a higher cause. It was the Milanese who allowed Corisca to fall out of the Lord's vision for saw long. It was the Milanese who allowed that abominable witch take hold of so many good men. We are purging the island of evil forces and bringing it back to the welcoming light of Christianity.

I am sure that Markus, God rest his soul, is at peace knowing that due to his sacrifice the many inhabitants of the island can be saved once again.

Ituralde
07-19-2007, 09:26
I mirror the feelings of my fellow Electors. It is a shame that such a young life has ended, but yet he died for the things he believed in and finally helped to bring that wretched island under our control. It is indeed a reminder how costly expansion can be for the Reich.

AussieGiant
07-19-2007, 11:06
I grieve for the entire Steffen family. I never really knew Markus, but I did know his two brothers and his father who was my mentor.

My god rest his soul.

TevashSzat
07-19-2007, 13:59
I am sorry for my absences yet again, but the French are just too stubborn and I must be stationed near Paris. I mourn for Markus even though I have not met him, but judging from accounts of the battle, he sacrificed himself so that we could win.

On another note, I am extremely happy that our new Chancellor has paid attention to our defences and the House armies are finally getting reinforced

Stuperman
07-19-2007, 14:04
A hush falls over as the diet doors open to reveal Gerhard Steffen

He slowly walks into the light, his eyes red from meany hours weeping, his face pale and strangely without emotion.

As Gerhard passes the seat that his son Markus held, he pauses then turns away as tears start to stream down his face.

He continues to his seat where he takes a second to compose himself, then starts to speak

I have expierenced the greatest pain that any parent ever could ever, my second son was cut down by a group of vile green #$%&@#%s who will know the true meaning of wrath when I am done with them.

He fought bravely, but the lord in his 'infinate wisdom' decided to take him from this earthly plane.

Chancellor Fredericus von Hamburg, I request that the Bavarian household Army be conviened on Sardinia so that I can burn, pillage, and slaughter my way to Caralis, and end the Milanese once and for all.

(OOC: assuming that the Spanish havn't/won't take Caralis, and I understand that with my leaving in 8 hours that I can't fight the battle till monday, which should give a turn or 3 for preperations to be made, I'll PM flydude as well)

gibsonsg91921
07-19-2007, 17:30
I mourn for poor Markus Steffen, knowing what it is like to lose a friend to battle. He is a hero of the Reich - let a statue be erected in his honor in Ajaccio!

Stig
07-19-2007, 19:47
Ansehelm enters the Diet, after an absence of some years

Gentlemen, no more then some months ago the entire Von Kastilien, minus Siegfried, has battled the Poles near Thorn. Together with my father and Peter we rushed out of Thorn while Fritz attacked the Poles from behind, it was a quick battle and resulted in a mass rout from the Polish army.
But that's not why I came to Rome. The last years we have been hammering on taking Krakow once we get an Edict for it. But Krakow isn't dangerous to us. Sure it produces money, but it hardly gives armies to our enemies.
Taking it will weaken the Poles, but new information has made me doubt about the fact if it will stop their attacks. The Poles gather their armies around Vilnius, not around Krakow, all Krakow gives them are Militias, Vilnius will produce a professional army for them.

However taking Vilnius is dangerous, and sacking it will hardly help as there are enough Poles and Russians about to take it again.
I suggest we send saboteurs to Vilnius to destroy their stabbles. If this can be done without an Edict it would be good to recruit some saboteurs immediatly, if not I urge we agree to such an Edict at the next Diet session.

AussieGiant
07-19-2007, 20:09
Arnold follows Ansehelm into the Diet and listens to his report. Once finished he too stands to address the Diet Chamber.

Having just retaken Budapest at some substantial cost to the AHA I too would like to implore the Chancellor to look to the Reich's defense.

Three Hungarian's armies are approaching Budapest as I speak, and without immediate reinforcements over and above the units racing back from Sofia I doubt I will be able to hold out if they hit within a few years of each other.

I would request immediate assistance from Ragusa as soon as possible.

Sigismund von Mahren has been knighted for his actions against the rebel scum and for reaching the City square before any other man in my army.

Abruptly Arnold turns and without another word strides from the chamber with a grim look on his face.

TevashSzat
07-19-2007, 21:49
While I applaud Arnold for taking Budapest, I must remind him that I too have faced overwhelming forces for the past 2 chancellorships and still have not faltered. The SHA wasn't even reduced in number due to casualties, but due to reassignment. While I understand the need for reinforcements, I would urge everyone to not divert troops from other areas just so they can fight more recklessly.

TinCow
07-19-2007, 22:30
*Lothar Steffen rises from a back bench. Somehow he must have slipped into the Diet, unseen.*

Recklessly? RECKLESSLY?!

Duke Arnold has a few regiments of militia and only a handful of heavily battered soldiers to fend off three full armies of Hungarian knights, replete with numerous siege engines! You call his request for more troops FROM HIS OWN LANDS reckless?!

I had hoped that with Swabia's own army reinforced with large contingents of fresh, professional soldiers, you would understand the need to give aid to other Houses. Do you consider it reckless to provide any house except Swabia with the ability to defend itself?

Bavaria is thankfully not threatened with imminent invasion, but our defenses are even weaker than Austria's! Outside of Innsbruck, the only professional soldiers in all of Bavaria are the 13 Teutonic Knights and 33 Mercenary Knights who survived the siege of Ajaccio! Even the four regiments in Innsbruck are heavily understrength, with two not even serving at half-strength! Nor has this Chancellor, the last Chancellor, or the Chancellor before THAT one done anything to remedy this situation. Indeed, Bavaria's defenses appear to be getting even weaker over time!

If that wasn't bad enough, it appears that the only fresh regiments anywhere near Bavaria have taken ship and set sail for Outremer! Those lands have a sufficient ability to train their own regiments, so why in the Hells are more men from the west being sent to aid them?!

The Reich has become corrupt and decrepit and good Germanic sons and daughters die every day as a result of the greed and ineptitude of those who plunder the resources of our Houses for their own agendas! I swear before God Almighty that I will not stand for this any longer! My own brother has now paid with his life due to the meager aid allocated to Bavaria for her own defense. Had we had just one regiment of professional infantry, he would still be alive this day!

If this state of affairs does not end soon, the entire Reich will burn!

Stig
07-19-2007, 22:35
Ansehelm stands and speaks

Remember Lothar that all of us need manpower, and more importantly a crusade should leave for Russia some time. At the moment we can are not able to defend all our borders, and we lack castles to recruit men. Staufen is the only castle in the west. Thorn in the east. And I don't know what else we have.

Hell I use Magdeburg to recruit an army for the Crusade. Magdeburg, of all places!!!

TinCow
07-19-2007, 22:49
Dear Lord, Ansehelm, will you give up this ridiculous Russian 'Crusade' already?! Franconia cannot even secure it's own borders and yet you want to strip the Reich of a full-strength army of professional soldiers to run off and play in the snow! How can you even consider this foolishness when you have no less than 8 hostile armies within a few days march of your own cities?! You'll be lucky not to lose Thorn, Hamburg, or both within the next few years and yet you still want to go on the offense against Russia?! That plan made at least a little sense when it was voted on in a decade ago, but under the current circumstances it is ludicrous!

Warluster
07-19-2007, 23:00
Kaiser Jobst stands, and bangs his hand against a wooden table

Of all things, I shall not hear words going against the Russian Crusade!! We shall send armies into Russia, we shall sack Moscow, and THATS,THAT!! It is certianly not foolishness, and I will not stand for words against! YOU HEAR ME!?

Now where was I?

I certianly mourn for the loss of young Markus Steffen, though I didn't meet him, he was from, my view, a quiet achiever.

Stig
07-19-2007, 23:02
Young Lothar, remember that it has been approved by Edict. A Crusade into Russia will make sure we will get rid of the Russians.
Sides I did secure Thorn, maybe you would like to come along and have a look.
But because people want to attack undangerous enemies as Milan we in Thorn can't fully secure ourselves, but to me that's no problem.

It will become a problem if you think you govern the Reich on your own! The Crusade into Russia will take place, and that's the end of it! If you don't agree, than don't ... go and play with your secret brotherhood.

AussieGiant
07-19-2007, 23:03
Standing from the Austrian bench Arnold stares for sometime at Ansehelm and Scherer

Reckless!!

It seems the Southern and Eastern parts of this Reich are being neglected and now we are paying the price.

While resources are being pulled North and West we now find ourselves is the exact situation I mentioned a few years ago!!!

There is no point taking offensive actions when we are in severe danger of losing what we already have!!!

Budapest had to be taken Scherer!! Due to mismanagement it rebelled and I have rectified that!! Meanwhile a full professional army is being assembled to head east in what can only be described as a suicide mission against vodka swilling pigs!!

Hans has headed East with a perfectly suitable reinforced army while Hungary is producing the best troops in decades. Have a look at the Hungarian troop disposition Scherer!!

Arnold throws field reports onto the Diet floor in disgust.

Knight's, professional foot, more knights and artillery!!

Smashing his mailed fist on the bench Arnold stares around the room at the assembled nobles.

I believe it's time to reassess our next moves gentlemen or this little house of cards is going to look decidedly shaky in the next few years!!

Even if troops in Ragusa are recruited now, it will be more than likely too late to help Budapest. I'm simply asking the AHA to be reinforced so it can defend the Reich's eastern borders as it is supposed to.

As for edicts, well that's going to a bloody disgrace Ansehelm if you have nothing to come back to apart from burnt out cities and dead citizens!

GeneralHankerchief
07-19-2007, 23:48
Conrad Salier:

As for edicts, edicts are edicts and we are all bound to them nonetheless. Do not forget that there are legal ways of modifying them.

Please remember that a crusade through the heart of Russia will bring us some much-needed florins. I gather that the Franconian generals will be able to handle anything that the Russians throw at them on the journey.

Northnovas
07-20-2007, 00:00
A messenger arrives to the Diet to addresses the floor. He is recognized has one of the aides from Count Zirn delegation. He addresses the floor and reads from a scroll....

Kaiser, Chancellor and fellow Electors, you have may now have head the news that the City of Iconium is now in the Reich's hands. Lord Zirn along with Wolfgang Hummel defeated the Turks and General Kujuk ad-Dawlah.

The Count wishes to advise you that the first part of Edict 10.5 has been completed and the City of Iconium is now ready for transfer to the Byzantines.
The Count would also like to address the Chancellor and advise that Wolfgang Hummel has deserved his knighthood for gallantry in the filed of battle and should be given a command for an army wherever his services are required.

The aide bows to the Kaiser and leaves the floor to sit with the Austrian delegation.

gibsonsg91921
07-20-2007, 00:08
Gentlemen! There should never be any neglect for any area of the Reich. Thorn is currently constantly war-torn, so it must be protected.

Ignoramus
07-20-2007, 03:17
A messenger wearing the livery of Wolfgang Hummel enters the Diet.

Mein master sends his greetings, honoured electors. He wishes to express his concern that the Holy Land appears to have been sapping the strength of the Reich. While mein lord does not advocate in any way abandoning the Holy Land to the infidel, he would like to see the Papal State there strengthened, thus removing the obligation of the Reich to send shiploads of men over there.

Mein master also requests that he be sent back to Swabia to defend his Duchy's frontiers against the French.

The messenger bows ands leaves the Diet.

FactionHeir
07-20-2007, 05:41
I mourn with the Bavarians for Markus Steffen who valiantly gave his life to bring a halt to the Milanese threat and consequently save many lives in Bavaria.

As for matters at hand, I have stressed in the previous diet that Sofia should not have been given to the Byzantines, as it provided the much needed troops for the eastern Austrian border and was an excellent strategic location to launch raids into Bran to prevent further invasions, as my many battles have shown. The eastern front is now dangerously stretched with no castle anywhere near Budapest, with the reinforcements having to come from either Ragusa, Innsbrück or Thorn, all of which are more than 8 years away.
However, I believe it may be viable for us to help our Austrian friends by passing an edict taking Bran the next diet?

As for the northern crusade, I do not believe that to be folly as it will divert attention from Thorn, giving it time to rebuild and train more soldiers. Ansehelm's courage and determination in that matter should be applauded, for he is defending Franconia by driving a wedge through Russia.

Hümmel, I would ask you to stay in Outremer to help defend against the Mongols at the very least until I arrive, as we need every man and knight we can muster.

Let us not quabble about who receives which troops. I am sure the chancellor is capable of assigning forces where they are needed, and trained professionals take time to recruit and equip. The regions where the largest hostile aggression is found naturally receives more support than others.

Cecil XIX
07-20-2007, 07:24
The von Mahrens offer our sincerest condolences at the death of Markus Steffen. My father and myself know all too well the pain that is being felt by the Steffen family right now.

I must also concur with the words of Duke Arnold and Count Lothar Steffen. The army immidiately outside Budapest is a fair challenge as is, and there are two more armies further east!

Speaking of such things, I have noticed a small force of Knights and Zweihanders just southwest of Budapest. With Count Steffen stating that Bavaria is not threatened by imminent invasion, The Count Ansehelm assuring us that Thorn's security is not a problem, Franconia and Swabia too far to be reached in any reasonable length of time *and* Outremer more then capable of supporting itself, I request that the Chancellor divert that force to the AHA within the limits imposed by the Imperial Rule of Army Composition.

Keeping in mind that those knights would have to be diverted from their original destination, I think it reasonable to state that there are no men better suited to come to Austria's aid.

Warluster
07-20-2007, 07:45
I think most men, when in plight, forget that others are just as worse.

No, not every Duchy is safe as of now. In Swabia, we have Paris constantly under threat by large French Armies. In Franconia, Thorn has been sieged over ten times in the last 40 Years. In Austria, the bloody grounds of Budapest, and the Hungarians. And last off, Barvaria with Corisa and Sardina.

So think that over, and as of now. Nowhere in the Holy Roman EMpire is safe.

Cecil XIX
07-20-2007, 07:56
My Emperor, I did not claim that the other Duchies were not in danger. I merely made the argument that the proximity of Budapest, coupled with the immediacy of the threat Duke Arnold and myself are faced with, make it the most appropriate destination for the force in question.

Warluster
07-20-2007, 08:17
I know you weren't saying that Sigismund, I was merely replying to others. Your suggestion is, something I deem good.

FactionHeir
07-20-2007, 10:54
That force you mention was split from my army at Sofia and is currently en route to support Duke Arnold.

gibsonsg91921
07-20-2007, 16:11
As the new commander of the FHA, recently appointed by Steward Ansehelm, my orders for the army are to move it just south of Thorn so to trap any besiegers between the hammer and anvil. An army mobile is better than an army enswamped in city streets. I yearn for the open fields once again.

And while it is not my jurisdiction, I believe my brother the Count of Thorn will agree when I urge that Thorn be on constant recruitment of the best quality troops available to protect it from its constant siege.

Offhand, I would agree that Bran should be taken from the Hungarian swine. The Chancellor must make it a priority that all of the Household Armies are in pristine or at least high quality, full-size condition so we may beat back the waves of invaders.

FactionHeir
07-20-2007, 18:39
I said it before and will say it again: Giving the Byzantines the prized citadel of Sofia was a grave mistake!
Looking at our newly acquired intelligence, it seems our 'eastern brothers' have managed to lose the citadel to the barbarians in christian disguise within 4 years of the handover.

I will hope to put forward an edict the next diet to personally retake this place once and for all and this time keep in in our capable hands rather than lose it to some incompetent fools again.

*looks at the assembled*
And I shall hope that those who previously wanted it to be handed over will now see the error in their ways and support this motion!

Stig
07-20-2007, 21:21
I will not doubt your capabilities Hans, but do you know what resources it takes to take Sofia. You need an army, while we still need to reinforce our Household Armies. Surely Thorn can go and start producing again, but that hardly helps, as it will only favour Franconia.
You won't be able to bring an army from nothing an retake it. Our borders are large and not easy to defend. You might take Sofia, but that will mostlikely mean that we put less interest in another area of the Reich. Look at Franconia, we need our FHA to defend Thorn and that might now cost us Hamburg.
We already have an expedition to support, upto a certain point, namely the Crusade against Russia.

Wouldn't it be better to let the Bavarians help in taking Sofia, they don't necessarely have to take it themselves, but Bavaria, being safe, can use it's BHA to help out parts of the empire in need, but for that we need to see what happens in future years.

Maybe Sofia will even be retaken by our Byzantine Allies, remember that Hungary is attacking us as well.

OverKnight
07-20-2007, 21:43
Matthias listens to the Diet Discussion for a bit before speaking.

It is unfortunate that the Byzantines have sold or given up Sofia under threat of attack to the Hungarians. It also means the land link with Outremer has been severed. This is frustrating, but I agree with Ansehelm von Kastilien that an expedition, at this time, must wait until the borders of the Reich are stabilized.

This also means that the Russian Crusade must be delayed until this occurs. In fact a move on Sofia or into Russia will not be possible, even if we wished to launch them, until the launching points of such a move, Thorn and eastern Austria, are clear of enemies. Any armies assigned to the tasks would be caught up in continuing enemy incursions in those areas before they could move on.

The Diet is frustrated because we lack the resources, initiative and freedom of movement we had in 1240. Yet the situation is improving. Think back to Kaiser Jobst's resignation, Budapest was in revolt, there was rioting across the Reich and enemies moved with impunity across our border. Thanks to Chancellor von Hamburg, that has begun to change.

Have we gained back all that we lost? No, but we are on our way. In order to make it all the way back, we must focus on defending our current borders. Once we have regained our full strength, then we can turn over to an offensive strategy.

As for Bavarian assistance to other Duchies. Bavaria, with the seizure of Corsica. . .

Matthias's expression darkens.

. . .is indeed as secure as she has been since 1080, but we have no forces, currently, to send. It's all battered militia. Duke Gerhard might consider sending assistance later, though I cannot speak for him, but the BHA needs to be rebuilt before doing so.

TinCow
07-20-2007, 21:55
As I am Steward of Bavaria in my father's temporary absense, I wish to state that the resources of Innsbruck must be immediately made available to the House of Austria. The Bavarian Household Army must be rebuilt, but Ajaccio can serve that purpose for the time being and Duke Arnold is in far greater need of men than I am at the moment. I urge the Chancellor to utilize the untapped training facilities of Innsbruck to assemble many regiments of high quality soldiers to aid the Austrians in their battles against the Hungarians invaders.

GeneralHankerchief
07-20-2007, 21:56
Conrad Salier:

I have heard recent grumblings about the amount of forces allocated to Outremer, where it could possibly be used to better effect elsewhere. The most common argument is that we can support ourselves.

Most of the time this is true. However, our next few years are going to be as trying of a period for us as it is the rest of you, and possibly more.

To the east, the four armies of the Horse Lords are bearing down on Edessa and the Chancellor. Naturally our full attention is focused there. However, as a result of this our Muslim enemies have considered this the opportune moment to attack. To the northwest, Karl Zirn and a small force are currently under threat from significant amounts of Turks. To the South, two full Egyptian armies are making their way north. One is possibly headed for Acre, which is of course underdefended due to the Horse Lord threat. The other is making its way to Jerusalem, which we are honor-bound to protect.

Now, I realize that Jerusalem is more than capable of defending itself but the fact still remains that we are under attack from three directions and only defending one. We do require these extra resources for the time being in order to secure the East. Once the armies are driven out then we shall cease to become a large pain.

FactionHeir
07-21-2007, 04:20
As I said, it would not be until the next diet session, which will likely be after we have dispatched the Mongols once more.
I would also not require much of an army, as I managed to take Sofia the first time with a battered force that had only very few regiments more than my current one I believe.
Also, only I have previously laid siege and resided in Sofia and know the ins and outs of the place, something that will reduce any prospective casualties.

AussieGiant
07-21-2007, 09:20
A knight in the livery of House Austria enters the Diet Chamber.

My Lords,

Duke Arnold sends greetings and word that the first Hungarian Army has been crushed with a night attack.

He is also considering abandoning Budapest in order to regroup and better receive reinforcements.

Arnold.

Stig
07-21-2007, 10:07
Ansehelm stands

Even though retreating and regrouping might sound like a good plan, I considered it for Thorn, it's not the best solution in my opinion.
Look at our World Map:
https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d121/the_Stig_/Other/mapMTW2copy.jpg

Abandoning Budapest will mean a great gap in our defences. There will actually be more ground to cover. Zagred and Ragusa will be undefended, or Vienna and Prague will be undefended.

I suggest you try to hold on to it, recruit some mercenaries if you can find them to quickly reinforce your army.

AussieGiant
07-21-2007, 11:19
Arnold enters the Diet Chamber flanked by two massive figures. One clad entirely in Black Full Plate, the other in chainmail and bear skins. Each one towers over Arnold six foot three frame by some margin.

Ansehelm, excellent map. If I may I'd like my scribes to take a copy.

As I am here, the decision is made.

The remaining troops from Budapest are heading to Vienna, while the reinforcements from Sofia and Ragusa will rendezvous there also.

Once there I will reconstitute my forces and head back to Budapest to retake it.

I tell you this gentlemen. The next Chancellor that ignores my orders for taxation in MY LANDS will face severe consequences!!!

That £"$%^£"$ing idiot Ulrich couldn't manage a :daisy: in a brothel with a thousand florins!!

FactionHeir
07-21-2007, 11:40
With all due respect Duke Arnold, are you going to dishonor your house and abandon your fellow Austrians to the barbarians of the east?

The forces you face may be formidable if faced in a siege situation, but in the field, they are nothing! If you wish to live up to your father's legacy, I dare you to attack the first force in a pronged attack and then with a few swift horsemen run down the siege train that follows it.

We, as true Germans, must not run from the enemy when there is a chance of victory. Especially not in our homelands!

Maybe now you will hate me for these words, but after the battle, you shall know their wisdom and we may once again dine as brothers!

AussieGiant
07-21-2007, 11:56
The Dread Knight stands immediately upon hearing Hans speak.

The slithering hiss of his sword is clearly heard.

His whispering rasping voice cuts across the chamber causing complete silence;

“Choosse your 'Ssecond' Lord Hanss and make ssure SsHE can fight.”

Arnold raises his hand, causing the Dread Knight to fall still.

Arnold looks towards the Kaiser and calmly states:

“What I think Hans is trying to say my Kaiser, is that he would like a short amnesty against Nobles dueling so we can take this outside and settle our differences.”

Casting his malevolent gaze back on Hans;

“Would that be accurate Hans?”

FactionHeir
07-21-2007, 12:21
It would be a sad day if Austria was to lose its Duke a second time in such a short period of time, so unless you insist on taking the matter to the colosseum, I shall remain steadfast on my stance that those barbarians can be driven back at minimal cost to the empire this very year.

In the meantime, if you wish to see blood, I'd ask you to either ride into battle as I suggested, let your brother take up the sword for Austria, or let both our berserker friends duke it out *Hans glances toward Thorsten and Arnold's barbarian retinue.

AussieGiant
07-21-2007, 12:52
Holding Han's gaze for sometime, Arnold is very still. The Dread Knight Bane and Grom the Berserker are seen talking behind him in hushed tones.

Finally Arnold responds.

Hans,

You're either looking for a death wish or you have some skill about you that I am not aware of.

I'll take your challenge and attack the second army.

At that statement both Bane and Grom cease talking and stare at the back of Arnold's figure. After some moments the Berserker slaps his huge hand on the Dread Knights armoured back and whoops in maniacal glee

"I told you he is insane Bane!!! Lets go!!"

At that moment Arnold and his retinue depart the Diet chamber.

Stig
07-21-2007, 12:58
Ansehelm stands

I'm quite suprised Arnold dares to bring some barbarians to the Diet. Sure where I come from there are more or less only barbarians, but bringing them here? ... they would drink all of Jonas von Mahrens beer.

FactionHeir
07-21-2007, 13:03
*A faint smile can be seen on Hans' face as Arnold leaves the diet to march onto the Hungarians*

It seems the young Duke will finally grow to become a strong man.

AussieGiant
07-21-2007, 13:33
The three figures return covered in gore.

Arnold throws the severed heads of the Hungarian Army leaders onto the Diet floor. Looking at Hans directly Arnold says

It seems there was a small change in plan!!

I still think you're an effeminate sack of :daisy: Hans so I'd politely ask you never to speak about my father again.

However you seem to have inspired me to further acts of fury.

The Hungarian's are no more, Budapest is safe and the heads of four thousand Hungarian's are on spikes from the city gates to the Hungarian border.

Hopefully that should remind them of their fate should they ever consider trying to take Budapest again.

Without further word Arnold and his retinue depart. The vacant eyes of the three Hungarian army commanders stare at the walls of the Diet Chamber in silence.

FactionHeir
07-21-2007, 13:37
...And indeed he has.
*Hans waves over one of the scribes and starts dictating a letter*

gibsonsg91921
07-21-2007, 15:19
STOP!

This is an Imperial Council, not a fight club! Will Count Hans and Duke Arnold both calm down so we can get some work done here?

AussieGiant
07-21-2007, 15:56
The departing Dread Knight stops at the words of the young Péter von Kastilien.

Even though his words are spoken from the entrance of the Diet some 50 feet away, his words carry with an unnatural clarity and force across the room.

There'ss been plenty of work done you fool!! Would you like to come and ssee the headss lining the causeway to the Hungarian border?

Privateerkev
07-21-2007, 16:29
An aide in the livery of Jan von Hamburg stands up and points at the departing dread knight

My lord has sent a message to the diet stating that there are real enemies in Outremer and if you wish to prove your manliness, then all of you can hop on a boat and lend a hand. Its easy to swagger around with bodyguards wearing costumes. Try that before the horse lords and watch them laugh before they tear off your heads and play a sport with them. Now can we please get back to business!?

gibsonsg91921
07-21-2007, 16:29
You, Dread Knight! Do you think I fear you? In my northern home in Breslau, I have slain bears three times your size. I am certain that battling is going on successfully, but inside these chambers there has been naught but ladies' squabble. And if you choose to fight me, I am a tournament winner and terrible in combat. I would personally teach you a lesson, were there not a better use of my time in the protection of my people. Any female can fight Hungarian barbarians, but the Polish Nobles are at my doorstep and I must protect my people.

TinCow
07-21-2007, 16:45
*Lothar Steffen eyes Hans, Péter von Kastilien, and Bane in an appraising manner. After a few moments of looking them up-and-down, he gestures to his personal clerk.*

If a fight breaks out, place a large wager on the Austrian.

*Lothar places a large and heavy sack of coin in the man's hand. He then looks back a Hans.*

The Mighty...

*He attempts to stiffle a snicker, and fails.*

gibsonsg91921
07-21-2007, 17:54
My cousin is right. We have real enemies to worry about, not overaggressive dread knights, not effete Swabians, nor spoiled and crippled Bavarians. *cough did I just say that?* The French, Poles, Russians, Hungarians, Milanese, Venetians, Danish, and Mongols all want a piece of our empire. We shall prove to them all that with men on our side such as Duke Arnold, Count Hans, Count Lothar, and myself that we cannot and will not forfeit any ground.

FactionHeir
07-21-2007, 18:20
Indeed Peter, and this is why, after some nudging, Duke Arnold managed to defeat our mutual foe, the Hungarians, instead of abandoning Budapest to them.
The need to work together, even if it sometimes requires some nudging, instead of working against each other is what makes our empire strong.

gibsonsg91921
07-21-2007, 18:41
I could not have said it better myself Count Hans the Mighty.

TinCow
07-21-2007, 19:02
Impressive talk, gentlemen, but I see little in your history or your actions that indicate that you are concerned with anything other than your personal ambitions. Cooperation for the greater good requires far more than simple words. You must be willing to do all that is necessary to see that the Reich is safe and prosperous, regardless of personal cost.

I would lecture you both some more, but I know you are busy. I would not want to keep you from your tireless work bleeding the Reich dry of soldiers.

FactionHeir
07-21-2007, 19:13
It is quite interesting that you say that Lothar, as any work to keep the empire safer requires soldiers.
Also, I believe quite a few of us have shown considerable personal sacrifice to keep the empire safe and prosperous as well as saving as many soldiers' lives as we could and take the blows ourselves instead.

Would you not agree?

I also would not like to dwell much further on this matter and focus on preparations for Outremer instead.

OverKnight
07-21-2007, 19:58
Matthias looks about the Diet Chamber and sighs.

I congratulate Duke Arnold on his three victories against the Hungarians. Budapest is now truly secure. That is what we should be celebrating.

Instead the tone in this Chamber has become acrimonious. Insults and challenges fly amongst the houses, and victory seems to be less important than who should take credit for it.

"Spoiled and crippled" Bavarians, you say Count Peter? My House has never backed down from a fight. Do not begrudge us the fact that through battle, legislation supporting our alliance with Sicily, and the luck of geography we have carved out a secure spot in the Reich. Yet, we have supported the other houses despite our "Spoiled" position. We have fought Venetians and Hungarians outside our territory, Innsbruck has provided many men to the other houses, and Bavaria has always been a strong supporter of Outremer.
In fact, that is why Bavaria is currently "crippled", the professional units of the BHA have been dispatched to Austria, to Franconia and to Outremer. I have no objection to this, as long as the losses are eventually made good, but I would not be insulted for our generosity.

Simplistic insults and shows of bravado accomplish nothing, we need to focus on the task at hand, returning the Reich to security and prominence and crushing the threats before us.

Stig
07-21-2007, 20:34
Ansehelm stands, looking with anger at Lothar

but I see little in your history or your actions that indicate that you are concerned with anything other than your personal ambitions.
I must say that I'm insulted by your words Lothar.
Peter has saved Thorn many times. If I recall correctly about 10 battles have been fought near and about Thorn in the past time. We won most, and most were won by Peter.
And I will not even start about the Honourable Hans, how do you think he became the best General in the Reich?

You're talking to two of the best generals here, my brother and Hans.

And Matthias, you are not spoiled because you get more attention from the chancellor. It's you Italian Playboy like style we Northerners tend to dislike.

AussieGiant
07-21-2007, 20:43
Appearing from the Austrian chambers Arnold takes his Ducal seat in the Diet.

Goddamn it!!!

ENOUGH!

I'd like to point out gentlemen that is was Han's who basically called me a coward!! He did this by casting dispersions of dishonour towards me and stating that I would be abandoning my own house!!

I suggest the von Kastilien house thinks on that before continuing down a dangerous path of name calling towards myself or that of the Steffen household.

It is only myself that need to request satisfaction if I wish it, and might I add, I've still not heard any apology or public attempt at reconciliation from the man at this time.

So!!!

Are we done with all this bollocks!!??

Stig
07-21-2007, 20:53
Ansehelm stands

Now listen here, the Von Kastillien family did nothing. My brother said something, I said something.

I suggest we stop the fighting here in the Diet now, if you want to fight I know some nice people who might want to help getting beaten up. This is no place to fight, do it somewhere else.
Hans is the son of the late Kaiser Henry, surely he meant no harm, and if he did I'm sure it was playing. You're a young man Arnold, don't take anything seriously.

gibsonsg91921
07-21-2007, 22:13
Noble Matthias, I was not referring to the entire of Bavaria, or to the entirety of any other Duchy I mentioned, but rather the individuals I was describing. If you wish to retort to my calling Lothar Steffen spoiled that is another matter, however I did not generalize my attack. I apologize for saying crippled, as that is an insult upon the noble Steffen house and not just your infantile "elder" brother. It is a shame the witch plagued you gentlemen - a blessing that she is gone.

Warluster
07-21-2007, 23:57
The Kaiser grips his sword handle, and stands

May I remind all, of those who are fighting, that this is not a courthouse, not a tavern but a place to discuss the dealings of our Empire.

We do not need to spill German blood as well.

Anyone who argues, shall be banned from the DIet, and traced...

The Kaiser sits, and leans back to speak to Dieter, who nods and summons some heavily armed men to the door of the Diet.

GeneralHankerchief
07-22-2007, 00:26
Conrad Salier:

If we, the leaders of the Reich, cannot act like gentlemen and good Christians in the Diet than there is truly no point of keeping up this charade of us being a force to be reckoned with.

FactionHeir
07-22-2007, 04:47
Count Ansehelm is quite correct.
The exchange of words between myself and Duke Arnold was only meant to suggest that he reconsider giving up Budapest to the Hungarians. As in my own words, if he returned victorious, we would dine once again as brothers - and so he did.

Now, Duke Arnold, I would like you to consult with your retinue, as I certainly had sent you a letter earlier.

And lastly, these matters are resolved, there is no need for further insults. Heed the emperor's words.

Privateerkev
07-22-2007, 05:38
I'd like to point out gentlemen that is was Han's who basically called me a coward!! He did this by casting dispersions of dishonour towards me and stating that I would be abandoning my own house!!

Jan's aide stands up

He didn't "basically" call you a coward. He did call you a coward. And how did you respond? By slaughtering thousands of captured prisoners! Pray tell, what exactly is brave about killing men who have already laid down their arms? I suggest you take lessons in bravery from my lord's father who is staring down thousands of horse lords as we speak. That is bravery. That is service. And my lord would tell you so in person if he was not so busy facing real enemies. Now can we Please end this petty bickering and get back to the business of the Reich!?!

The aide sits down and as he does, his robe moves slightly revealing that the aide is fully armored and bears the crest of the Teutonic Order.

AussieGiant
07-22-2007, 12:21
Arnold:

Gentlemen,

Count Han's has written me a letter explaining the misunderstanding. I would not call it an apology but in his own way there is some explanation for what he said.

I've come to my own opinion on the matter so it is closed.

Looking towards Jan's aid, Arnold continues

And you. Teuton!! I admire the way you essentially call ME a coward and then ask that everyone get back to business.

Why don't you take your pathetic little black and white cross and :daisy: off back to Outremer where you belong.

Retract your words Sir, or we will begin this whole bloody thing again if I have to!?

Looking towards the Kaiser

My Lord, the man has insulted me. I request he be removed from the Diet.

Arnold sits waiting for further attempts at dishonouring his name.

Stig
07-22-2007, 14:28
Arnold, you have heard what the Kaiser said, I suggest you retract your words, it will be better for you.
Next to that you insulted the house of Franconia, by attack Jan von Hamburg, something I'm very displeased with.

I believe you once said you wanted to marry the Kaisers daughter, a doubt a young and charming girl like her would like such words as you've just been using.

Take my advice and take some rest, you have been stressed by everything happening to Budapest, take some rest. Go to sleep early this night, or find some fine German girl or something.

TinCow
07-22-2007, 15:21
I appeal to Kaiser Jobst to reprimand the House of Franconia for continuing to argue and attack the honor of Duke Arnold. The matter was settled and would have been laid to rest were it not for the provocations of Jan von Hamburg.

gibsonsg91921
07-22-2007, 16:04
The House of Franconia did nothing, Lothar. Jan von Hamburg offended Duke Arnold, if anyone were to be punished, it would be him alone.

Stig
07-22-2007, 17:22
Lothar, why the house of Franconia? Arnold hasn't been swearing and cursing all through the Diet. Would you call that normal behaviour?

And where's the Kaiser anyway? I haven't seen him in a long time

gibsonsg91921
07-22-2007, 17:35
Last I heard, Kaiser Jobst von Salza and our brother Siegfried von Kastilien were off fighting a battle with the Emperor's Army of the Interior. But I haven't heard from them since.

GeneralHankerchief
07-22-2007, 17:41
Conrad Salier:

It is disconcerting that the Diet is still full of children bickering. I certainly hope that the Kaiser will be able to silence this ridiculous discussion once and for all when he returns.

gibsonsg91921
07-22-2007, 17:45
King Salier, I am glad of your presence. Perhaps you can return the sanity to this Diet and help ease the tensions between your protege Jan von Hamburg and your friend Lothar.

Privateerkev
07-22-2007, 18:28
Jan's Teutonic Knight returns to the chambers and reads off of a scroll

My lord has sent word back to the Diet and I will now read it in full:

Dear esteemed members of the Diet,

My knight, Frederick, has sent back his report and the scribe's full transcript of what has transpired here. I will first say that Frederick is my mouthpiece, and anything he says comes from me. Therefore, I am responsible for his words and me alone. If anyone has had a problem with what he has said, they are to take it up with me. A letter has been sent to the Teutonic Order stating the same. As for the specific matter concerning Duke Arnold, I hereby do not retract my words for what I said was the truth and is a matter the Diet should take seriously when it concerns itself with policy for the next legislative session. The murder of soldiers after they lay down their arms is a serious matter. To do it out of grief for a stricken comrade is one thing. To do it for...the sheer joy of it is something else entirely. For how we treat those in this world is of the greatest importance. I would hope that the Reich would stand for something better...something noble. Those like Duke Arnold threaten that opportunity with their despicable acts. To be clear, if you slaughter prisoners for the sheer joy and pleasure of it, then you are a coward. You can take this out on me if you wish but you have only yourself to blame for you are responsible for your own actions. It is my hope that this august body takes up this issue and debates it with the weight it deserves. As for Kaiser Jobst reprimanding me, I await his judgement.

Yours,
Jan von Hamburg

Frederick rolls up the scroll and addresses Arnold

My dear Duke, I would gladly go back to Outremer and serve at my lords side for he serves The Lord. But he made it clear that it was important to him that I be his mouthpiece in the Diet while he is busy and I will do that duty until he, or the Kaiser, remove me from this body. I have spent my life serving the Lord. I have guarded pilgrims, administered to the sick, spread the word, and fought the horse lords in Damascus. What have you done? You stroll in here and attempt to intimidate the Diet with your hulking bodyguards. You threaten my lord's cousin. You deny us the opportunity to save the souls of the ones you butcher. I swear by God that the horse lords have more honor than you. At least they don't pretend to be Christian...

gibsonsg91921
07-22-2007, 19:29
Frederick, this Diet should not get into personal attacks. If you have a problem with a member of its body, you should send a message to him. This is a place for which to conduct business, not sling mud upon our friends.

Chancellor Fredericus, I trust that Thorn is recruiting fresh troops constantly to replete itself and the nearby FHA, correct?

Privateerkev
07-22-2007, 19:39
Jan's Teutonic Knight Frederick:

And my good sir, just how is one supposed to bring up the slaughtering of prisoners without attacking the one who did it? If I said, "I would like to have us talk about how captured prisoners are ending up on pikes," I would expect Duke Arnold to take it personally because there is no other way to take it. He is an intelligent man and would obviously see that the matter brought up was about him. Now, my lord thinks it is best to be blunt and direct. Would Duke Arnold or anyone else here prefer my lord work in the shadows and whisper gossip like so many others do in the Diet? At least with Jan von Hamburg, Duke Arnold will know where he stands. There will be no knife in the back. My lord will treat the good Duke with the respect that the Duke refused to show fellow Catholics.

TinCow
07-22-2007, 20:05
Herr Frederick, was it not one of your own fellow Crusaders who so recently said "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"? It is good to know that there are a few Christians in the East who have the fortitude to do what is required, even when it is unpalatable. The Lord helps those who help themselves. If God did not wish for the Hungarians to be slaughtered, surely he would have granted them victory. As it stands, the Reich is the light of salvation in a world of darkness. All who oppose us are nothing more than heretics and deserve the pyre.

Privateerkev
07-22-2007, 20:25

But if we kill them, how can we save them? My lord Jan and I are of the mind that living converts serve the Lord better than dead ones. Once a man takes up arms against the Reich, he is to be killed. But, once he has laid those arms down, he is to be saved. Thus is our duty as Crusaders. For it is the Lord that has put us here to do His work in His name. We are but soldiers of the Lord and we must follow orders. It is through good deeds that we earn our rightful place as rulers of the known world. It is what separates us from the barbarians. Like Rome, the Holy Roman Empire will be the beacon of civilization that shines around the whole world! We should at least act civilized or what kind of example are we showing to everyone else?

Ituralde
07-22-2007, 20:29
A young Franconian Knight enters the Diet. His hair is cut short in a fashion similar to that of his father Gunther von Kastillien. His face looks young, but his eyes carry the look of one who has seen battle and the lines below them suggest that sleep has been a rare luxury for this man. With a grave voice he starts to address the Diet.

I am Siegfried von Kastillien and together with Emperor Jobst I have fought against the Danes threatening our Empire in the north. The armies surrounded us are scattered and their remnants have been ransomed back to the Danish King. The army besieging Hamburg has been defeated and the threat to the north of our Empire is no more. I personally led the charge to relieve Hamburg and no Danish soldier remains on Imperial soil.

It was in my third battle under Emperor Jobst, after defeating Danish Militias and battle-hardened War Clerics that outnumbered us during the recent night, that we faced the last remnants of the Danish armies surrounding us in the early morning. The defenders had catapults with them, shooting their fiery projectiles with deadly accuracy Emperor Jobst bodyguard was hit before making contact with the enemy. Once the few defenders had been scattered it fell to me to find the Emperor surrounded by the charred remnants of his bodyguard. Though he was badly burned there was still life in him when I arrived and so it was in these very arms that Emperor Jobst died.

Spreading his arms wide for everyone to see, Siegfried lowers his head in silent mourning. Letting a moment of silence pass for the Diet to understand these grave news.

As you are all aware, Jobst von Salza never named his Heir to this Diet. Young in years he probably wanted to wait for the right moment to make his announcement. Death was faster though, but fortunately not fast enough to let me hear his dying wish. He has named his Heir, and the name he spoke was Siegfried von Kastillien.

So it is at this dark hour that it falls to me to carry on the legacy of Emperor Heinrich, Henry and Jobst. I swear upon the Holy Bible to do my utmost to protect this Empire and its citizen from any harm here and in the Afterworld. I am, as of now, Emperor Siegfried.

With careful steps the young Franconian Knight ascends the dais on which the Emperors throne is situated and slowly takes his seat and casts a slow glance around the room, tilting his head just so that he appears to be staring down his nose at every Elector.

An elaborate recount of the four battles fought in the north involving the circumstances of the late Emperor's death will be published by my scribes shortly.

Privateerkev
07-22-2007, 20:36
Shocked at the news, Jan's knight is silent but quickly regains his composer.

Mein Kaiser, may I be the first to voice my heartfelt sorrow at this horrible news. If I may have your leave, I need to get this word to your cousin in Outremer at once.

Frederick walks in front of the dais, bows, stands up straight while putting his fist to his heart and proclaims in a booming voice.

Long live the Kaiser!

Frederick turns smartly and walks out in precise military steps.

Stig
07-22-2007, 20:53
*Ansehelm, who stood up merely to great his little brother sank in his chair again*

Dark time, dark times we live in indeed. He never properly knew Kaiser Jobst, we had some conversations, mainly about Russia, but that was it not much. Kaiser Henry died not long ago, but, as hard as it may sound, that death was forseen. Kaiser Jobst had his the best years of his life in front of him.

And I'm sorry but, in this hour, this day of darkness, I must congratulate my little brother with saving the Reich. I'm sure the Kaiser would have been proud if he knew that you managed to save the entire north.

I do not wish the celebrate a new Kaiser, we lost to many good men in the past months. At moments like these we *Ansehelm looks from Peter to Lothar to Arnold and to the door the Teuton just closed* we should forget the brawls we have between the Houses. At moments like these we should stand strong, united, as a strong empire, to show our enemies that we can recover, from even the worst position we have been in the last decades.

*Ansehelms turns to Peter*
Why on earth our little Siegfried?

OverKnight
07-22-2007, 22:02
Matthias looks in shock. He had left the Diet for only a few hours, but on his return he is faced with this news.

I am confused, Siegfried von Kastilien was a Prinz? When did this happen?

Forgive me Count Siegfried, but do you have proof that the Kaiser has named you his heir before he died? I have heard of your great triumph against the Danes, and you have my thanks for that, but. . .Kaiser? I mean no disrespect, but this is hard to believe. You are the fourth son of a Duke, not an unenviable position, but hardly in the line for the throne which you now sit upon.

A cyncial man would say. . .but enough of that. I'm afraid I will need more proof than just your unwitnessed recollection of the Kaiser's last words before I will bow to you.

Stig
07-22-2007, 22:07
*Ansehelm looks up*

Please, oh please, we'll do stuff like this tomorrow. I would like to ask the same questions as you do, we all would like to know. But our ruler died here, let's atleast give him 24 hours of respect.

TinCow
07-22-2007, 22:42
*Lothar Steffen looks ashen at the news of Kaiser Jobst's death.*

God rest Kaiser Jobst! As just and fair an Emperor, this world has never seen. It is an abomination that he was taken from us in the prime of his life. The Reich will surely be poorer for his passing.

*Lothar turns and looks at Siegfried von Kastilien.*

I too would like to know if you have any evidence to back your claim to the throne. I do not cast aspersions on your character, for you are a man I have never had cause to question or doubt. However, you must surely acknowledge that it is most... unusual... that such a young man as yourself, entirely out of the line of succession, now finds himself to be Emperor. The tradition of having Swabian Emperors was well accepted and good for the Empire, as Swabia has been known to be a fair and impartial House. Yet now Franconia, the single strongest House in the Reich, elevates its youngest member to the throne? I assure you, that had it been *I* who claimed to have been named Emperor, your brothers would be similarly cautious.

Produce some proof of what you say or otherwise explain to us how this came to pass. If you then separate yourself from Franconia and rule as a true impartial Emperor, you will have my loyalty just as Kaiser Jobst did.

GeneralHankerchief
07-22-2007, 23:09
Conrad Salier:

You all sicken me. Truly, you do. The Reich's leader, one of the few men we could all turn to, has been unexpectedly taken away from us. The man should be given some proper respect before the question of his heir is resolved.

gibsonsg91921
07-22-2007, 23:34
Herr Salier is correct. Let us have a moment of peace and silence for once to respect our dead Kaiser Jobst von Salza. I'm sure the late Kaiser's loyal bodyguard Dieter will be able to confirm my brother's claims, but for now we shall reminisce and remember our lost.

FactionHeir
07-23-2007, 04:07
May Emperor Jobst rest in peace, for he surely looks down upon us in god's haven now.
While his term was short, he did help in starting to bring the empire back from the brink of destruction the late Hümmel caused, and for that he shall be remembered.

Ignoramus
07-23-2007, 04:38
Conrad Hohenburg, a Swabian knight rushes into the Diet with an angry expression on his face.

"Usurper! Usurper!" he screams at Siegfried von Kastillien, "You are scum, you despicable dog, for what you did to Jobst, Kaiser of the Reich."

Conrad, ashen-faced at the obvious displeasure of his outburst, apologised to the Diet.

"But, mein electors, you see before you an usurper! Kaiser Jobst trusted the battle to his care, and Siegfried abandoned him in the midst of battle. This usurper then had the shocking nerve to place the Kaiser's crown on his own head.

"This, this, Franconian!" spluttered Conrad, "has dared to take from Swabia the Imperial Crown. Not only did he in effect murder the Kasier, not only did he ignore the blood right of the late Kaiser Henry's two sons, Hans and Elberhard, he also ignored the right of this Diet to appoint a successor to the Kaiser. Thus, I henceforth renounce allegience to the usurper Siegfried and acknowledge Henry's two sons, Hans and Elberhard, rightful Kaisers.

Futhermore, I urge all true electors to renounce their allegience immediately.

Mein lord, Wolfgang Hummel, authorised this message.

Conrad Hohenburg bows and leaves the Diet.

Privateerkev
07-23-2007, 05:20

Before we go running around the Diet screaming, lets get some things clear. As far as I know, the Diet has no right in appointing a successor. Nor can there be two or three Kaisers at once. The Kaiser is appointed by God through his servant on earth his Holiness the Pope. It is not up to us. If Emperor Siegfried was chosen by God to lead the Reich, then it is not up to us to argue. We have our own section of the government where we elect leaders and debate legislation. But, the Emperor is above lesser men and is God's appointed servant over the German people. All we need to clear this matter is Papal blessing. You do not have to like who was chosen to become Emperor but you better get used to it. Because he is our Emperor!!

Frederick turns towards the dais.

My lord has instructed me to tell you that, if you wish, he will return from Outremer at once to pledge fealty before you publicly so there will be no question as to who he serves. In the meantime he has giving me leave to pledge my sword to you and to make sure there will be no more...disruptions in this august body.

OOC: for a fun game, replace every instance of the word "god" in this post, with the word "M2TW". Inspired by FLYdude. :laugh4:

OverKnight
07-23-2007, 06:04
Matthias, looking increasingly alarmed, stands to speak again. He first turns to Conrad Salier.

I apologize my King, the shock of hearing about Kaiser Jobst's death combined with Count Siegfried's announcement caused me to forget protocol.

He turns to the rest of the Diet.

Kaiser Jobst was a good man. He was a voice of reason in the Diet and honest. His skills as a General were great, who could forget the heroic defense of Dijon against the French? Or his triumphant first battle against the Milanese in the Alps when he was just a squire? Yet I truly wish that the Kaiser had made a public announcement of his choice of heir. It would have saved us much sturm und drang.

If proof can be brought forward that Count Siegfried was named heir, I will gladly bend the knee, for the Reich must have a Kaiser. I will not yell, or threaten or invoke the will of God, all I ask is confirmation besides the word of one man.

Privateerkev
07-23-2007, 06:11

The Kaiser shall be addressed as Emperor Siegfried as he earlier proclaimed. He is no longer Count Siegfried. To continue calling him such is a mark of disrespect. I will assume that the shock of the event has caused some to...lapse in protocol.

God wills it...

Ignoramus
07-23-2007, 06:19
Conrad Hohenburg cannot contain himself.

Mein electors, I am worried about Kaiser Hans' safety. This usurper, Siegfried, had no scruples in murdering the late Kaiser Jobst. Surely we must protect the new Kaiser at all costs.

Conrad resumes his seat.

Privateerkev
07-23-2007, 06:23

Conrad, you may wish to inform your lord that he is both accusing the Kaiser of murder and claiming that someone else is Kaiser. These are both crimes.

Frederick turns towards the dais

My Kaiser,

If you will it, I will eject this person from the Diet and order patrols to go find the young Hummel in the Outremer and put him under arrest.

Warluster
07-23-2007, 07:03
Dieter enters the Diet, his face bowed. He stands in the middle

Mein lords, I am a loyal servant of the deceased Jobst von Salza. A shall never recover from the shock, of standing, only to see, him, charred...

Dieter quickly wipes away tears

I, here on the late Jobst's orders. Am expected to announce his chosen Heir.

He never told anyone, offically, that Siegfred was to be the heir. Except me, and I am here to pass on his words. Siegfred, is now offically, Prinz, and now, he is crowned Kaiser, of the Holy Roman Empire!

My deceased lord, has given me a number of itmes to pass on, and a letter.

Dieter coughs...

And a mission...

I, shall, keep following his orders, which he has written in ink for me. I wish Kaiser Siegfred, a happy rule.

I hope you can all attend the funeral.

Dieter whips around, a leaves the Diet, following behind him, are two cloaked men, both bearing pistols.

Cecil XIX
07-23-2007, 07:23
Sigismund pauses from massaging his temples to address the diet.

I suppose that's a much proof as we're going to get. Given the severity of the issue at hand I will observe a day of silence out of respect for the previous Kaiser, after which I will swear fealty to Siegfried if no new evidence presents itself.

Please understand my thoughts, my lord. I am fully willing to accept that the late Emperor did indeed name you as his heir. But this issue is too important for a rush to judgement one way or the other (looks pointedly at Frederick and Conrad), and establishing a consensus too early will only make it more difficult to see done.

Rest assured that I will repay Siegfried for this doubt should his claim be proven true.

OverKnight
07-23-2007, 07:28
Matthias shakes his head ruefully at the news and mutters to himself:

I wish your horse was as fast as Siegfried's Dieter.

Matthias kneels before Siegfried and bows his head.

My most humble apologies Kaiser Siegfried. I am your man. I am sorry for making a mountain out of a mole hill. I'm sure the suddenness of Kaiser Jobst's death, and the quickness of your Majesty's ascension has affected us all.

Matthias rises and returns to his seat.

Ignoramus
07-23-2007, 07:33
Conrad rises again.

"Matthias Steffan, you are a traitor to the true Kaiser, Hans. For this treason, you will surely die.

As for Kaiser Hans, I urge him to throw this usurper and his supporters out of the Diet!

Conrad resumes his seat.

Cecil XIX
07-23-2007, 07:48
Conrad, you are only helping chaos and disorder! Hans has made no claim to the title of Emperor, so stop addressing him as such. Acusing others of treason and wishing for thier deaths is the kind of talk that can tear this Diet apart, and the last thing we need is a Civil War over this issue! Calm down, and let every man speak in turn! That is the only way to ensure that the true Emperor assumes the throne!

Stig
07-23-2007, 10:35
*Ansehelm stands and walks forward to Hohenburg*

You disgust me you little man.
Prinz Hans never claimed the position of Kaiser, yes he's one of the best chancellors I know, next to that he's the best general. But he never claimed Kaiser
You disgust me, not only do you insult my little brother, but you also happen to insult your new Kaiser. I might be able to live with the last thing, because that's for a Kaiser to solve himself, but I can't live with the first thing. Nobody insults my little brother.

I don't do fighting in the Diet, but I know some people who do.
*Ansehelm looks at Arnold*
Where are your Dread Knight and Berserker?

OverKnight
07-23-2007, 10:51
Matthias sighs.

I think this Chamber has seen enough bloodshed in Classical times that we don't need to add to it.

Matthias grimaces wryly.

Well in the past few hours, I've heard of the unexpected passing of the old Kaiser, possibly angered the new Kaiser, and been threatened with death. A full day. I'm known as a sensible drinker, but I might make an exception in this case.

I'll buy the first round at the Tavern, anyone care to join me in raising a few steins in memory of Kaiser Jobst?

Stig
07-23-2007, 10:59
*Ansehelms slaps Matthias on the shoulder*

Good idea, man

AussieGiant
07-23-2007, 11:37
Having maintained silence through the burst of activity Arnold finally stands to speak.

So gentlemen,

I believe we are done here, with only one final point to be resolved in my mind before I swear fealty.

If Hans can come forth and pronounce his fealty to Siegfried von Kastilien then I believe all men here and abroad will be satisfied.

And for the record scribe...

Arnold looks to the Diet Speaker

...please note that the affront made by Hans previously has been resolved to my satisfaction and the one made by Jan von Hamburg through that sack of shiet Tueton over there has not been resolved.

I've done nothing to warrant such affront to my honour on my name by Jan von Hamburg or his proxy clown Teuton.

Let the record show that if the Teuton wants to come into the Reich's Diet Chamber and act like a fool then he should remember that he is neither a Lord of this Realm or a person able to make claims or comments to other such Lords of the Reich. As a Duke I even out rank his master.

I'd suggest he retracts his statement or I'll be forced to take measures.

And before anyone else chimes in I'd like to it noted that I didn't insult anyone until I was insulted first!!!

THE KAISER IS DEAD....

Arnold sits waiting for Hans to appear.

Stig
07-23-2007, 12:04
*Ansehelm stands*

Now you attack this Teuton, for which you have every right to, because his master is not here to speak.
But have you forgotten that Hohenburg here insulted the Kaiser himself, only because his master too doesn't want to show his face himself.

And might I remind you that Hans never made a claim to emperorship.

And may I also state that if a Franconian wants to make a statement here in the Diet, that from this moment he comes himself here, and he doesn't send lousy aides, be a proper man and show your face.

AussieGiant
07-23-2007, 12:15
Arnold grins at Ansehelm

Lord Ansehelm,

I'll be more than happy to take Hohenburg apart once Han's makes his decision and Hohenburg continues the way he has before.

I say this because at that point Han's will have relinquished his claim and Siegfried von Kastilien will be Kaiser, and any man that speaks to the Kaiser that way will quite rightly receive the death penalty.

Until that time I'm undecided.

TinCow
07-23-2007, 12:22
Thank you, Dieter, for your words. It appears that Siegfried was truly Kaiser Jobst's choice for his heir. I would never disgrace the memory of Kaiser Jobst by opposing him in such a manner. I hereby proclaim my loyalty to Kaiser Siegfried.

*Lothar kneels and bows his head.*

Forgive my words of doubt, my Kaiser. I simply wished to ensure that the traditions of the Reich were upheld. I hope that I will have the opportunity to demonstrate my loyalty to you in the near future.

I am also very humbled by Kaiser Jobst's offer of his daughter's hand in marriage. I must say that I never expected, nor sought, such a thing, but nor shall I reject it. I shall do my best to treat her as a Princess of the Reich deserves and to father many healthy Bavarian sons.

Stig
07-23-2007, 12:41
OOC: your dead m8

*Ansehelm looks at Arnold*

You're right my friend. However how can Hohenburg say that Hans is Kaiser if Hans never said he was Kaiser.
I think the Hummels are up to something again.

AussieGiant
07-23-2007, 12:51
I guess it is because I and many others were aware of an assumed succession plan.

Even though it has never been fully explained I believe my lawyers had advised me that Han's would be the next Emperor.

We have certainly never had a Kaiser personally proclaim his Heir. That is why I will wait for Han's to come forward to settle the matter. He was the successor based on the undocumented assumed procedure we have all followed for the past few centuries.

This self proclomation procedure is new and I wish to leave no one in doubt as to who the next Kaiser is.

And yes I agree with you. The young Hummel, is very much like his father it seems.

Arnold sits with an obvious grin on his face. Upon seeing the Teuton his visage immediately turns to one of controlled fury. His retinue, speaking quietly until this time, falls still in anticipation of something...

Stig
07-23-2007, 13:05
Well Arnold, as you heard Diet confirmed that my little brother has been made emperor, and believe me, I too don't see any sense in it.
Maybe we should look into his will, that would help better. Afterall the Kaisers will is law, wether you agree with it or not.

Have you not heard of the last letter the Kaiser Jobst has written?

AussieGiant
07-23-2007, 13:25
I am certainly not protesting what the late Kaiser Jobst has done. It is perfectly acceptable to me.

Taking some time to compose his next words, Arnold continues in a measured tone.

I just want to make sure Han's is not confused about what has happened here. Any and all doubt must be resolved immediately. That is why I wait here until we are all of one thought on the matter.

Ituralde
07-23-2007, 13:29
Siegfried has been following the struggles within the Diet with a calm face and made no notion to refute the points brought up against him up to the point where Dieter had entered the Diet to confirm his claims. Now he stands up again to address the assembled Electors.

Dear Electors,

I hold no grudge against any of you feeling surprised at my sudden ascensions. But as you have now heard, it was truly the last wish of Emperor Jobst that I be his Heir. There has never been another named. I can understand that many people may wonder why this decision was made, but this isn't for us to contemplate. Emperor Jobst acted as he did, and I will fulfill his wish to the extent of my abilities and I expect every Noble of the Reich to do the same.

With my blood line not continued so far, I will none the less name my heir now, here for everyone to hear and bear witness ,to avoid confusion in the future. It is my understanding that the House of Swabia has brought forth many a successful Emperor in the past. I therefore choose to name Count Elberhard as my successor and heir should any grave tidings befall me during my reign. He is already serving as a Co-Chancellor and he is a direct descendant of Emperor Henry. This will ensure that the Imperial Line will fall back to Swabia should I fail to produce an heir of my own.

With that settled, as Emperor it is my duty to oversee the Diet.
I demand that the Duke of Austria and Count von Hamburg stop their bickering. Their points on the subject of how to treat prisoners of war has been made clear to all of us. Should they desire further investigation in this issue, I propose them to pass according Edicts or Charter Ammendments during the next Diet session.
I hereby expell Wolfgang Hummel from this Diet until he apologizes for his insubordination and refutes his allegiance to Count Hans!

Stig
07-23-2007, 13:58
*Ansehelms stands*

Brother, I'm sure Hummel did not mean much harm. To everyone Hans or Elberhard would have been more obvious choices.
And I'm sure Hans had nothing to do with Hummels rebellion, Hummel is more or less angry that his father was overthrown, he seems to be in for revenge.

AussieGiant
07-23-2007, 14:44
Standing to address Siegfried

I disagree My Lord.

I'm not bickering with Jan von Hamburg who I might add holds no rank apart from elector.

He insulted me, and I demand an apology or that you sanction him for his unprovoked words against me.

It's very clear to me what has happened. Surely everyone can see that.

I don't understand how anyone can not understand my stance on the matter.

Arnold sits

Ituralde
07-23-2007, 15:17
You don't have to agree, my Duke!

I am not here to decide over the nature of your dispute. If you feel that you have been insulted by Jan von Hamburg contact him or talk it over with his Duke, Gunther von Kastillien. I will not have the peace of this Diet disturbed by this throwing of insults between two members. Especially since you outrank him, you should be able to see above this pitty squabbling and not let yourself be dragged down into a mudfight.

I have reprimanded the young Jan von Hamburg as well and I want to hear no more of it. We have an Empire to administer and there are far more important threats looming on our borders!

Stig
07-23-2007, 15:34
Siegfried! You should very well know that your father is having a little holiday. I'm doing the administrative duties for Franconia now, and I've already been in contact with Arnold on this matter.

gibsonsg91921
07-23-2007, 15:36
Brother, I could have never expected that you would be the Emperor. My little Siegfried... The Kaiser of the Most Holy and Powerful Holy Roman Empire! It sounds funny at first, but once you think about it you know it's right. Kaiser Jobst favored you much - I swear my fealty to you, brother. I swear that I will follow your rule without question.

Privateerkev
07-23-2007, 15:45
Jan von Hamburg arrives in the Diet after the funeral for Emperor Jobst. He walks over to Frederick who whispers in his ear. Jan turns towards the dais and walks up to the new Emperor and kneels.

My Kaiser,

I kneel before you and pledge my life and my sword to you. May your reign be long and fruitful. God go with you. I apologize if I have caused any disruption in the Diet. Alot has happened lately and there has been much confusion. I will put this business with Duke Arnold to bed at once.

Jan turns and returns to his part of the table next to Frederick. He addresses Arnold.

My good duke,

I apologize if you have taken insult from the fact that I have had Frederick speak for me. For I thought it was clear that Frederick's words are to be taken as my own. Now that I am here, I can make this clear to you in person. I hereby, and in public, with God, the Kaiser, and the Diet as my witness, do not retract any statement either I or Frederick have made regarding you or your actions. At the Kaiser's urging, I will work on enacting legislation at the next Diet session regarding your actions. I hope this clears up any confusion regarding the matter.

Turns and addresses the rest of the Diet

Now, is there any other business going on today? I apologize but I am needed in Outremer and I can only be present for another day or two at the most before I must return. The horse lords have gotten around our fortifications and I intend to be there when we fight them off for once and for all.

gibsonsg91921
07-23-2007, 16:00
That Hummel... I never trusted him or his father. I promised to not recall the late Count Ulrich in a bad light, but his son Wolfgang reminds me of him too much. He insulted you, brother, and is in open rebellion! I wish to defeat him in battle if it becomes more of a problem. Teach him what it means to be Franconian.

FactionHeir
07-23-2007, 16:34
OOC starter note: Its late and I am not completely up to date on stuff, so this might not be too coherent.

IC:

I am not sure why Emperor Jobst declared Siegfried his heir, considering he is the youngerst son of the adopted Duke of Franconia, and not one of pure royal bloodline.
At the same time, our charter is not completely clear on successions, thus leaving quite a bit of dispute over who should rightfully inherit the empire.

While some have been trying to elevate myself to the most honorable position as the head of state, I would like to state that at this point, I am not certain where the loyalties of the Duchies lie, and whether I would want to risk plunging the empire into another dark time with a war of succession.

As such, I propose that to resolve this matter, we should hold an emergency diet session to amend the charter to ensure future successions are laid out clearly and do not result in strife, and at the same time by a diet vote of the eligible, determine the rightful emperor of our holy roman empire.

Stuperman
07-23-2007, 16:37
Gerhard Steffen struggles to his feet, looking rather drained even for someone as chronically sick as he is. Murmers through out the Diet say that he's been this way ever since his son died against the Milanese.

I extend my condolances to the slain Kiaser's family, re-afirm my allegiance to the current Kaiser, whoever it is this week, and hope that thses petty squables about who said what about who can be put aside during this time of deepening crisis.

We have enemies at the gates in outremer with the return of the Mongols, we have French, Russians, Poles and Danish troops in the north, and Hungarian barbarians in the east. Only through co-operation can we ever hope to reach salvation.

More great victories like those won by Arnold against the hungarians will be needed if we are to continue foreward.

I have heard Sentimnet that the resources being used for the raid on Russia would be better used going after Karkow, I would agree with this, it would firm up the boarders while hurting our strongest enemies on the front.

As for accusations that Bavaria is avoiding most of the fighting both Austria and Franconia have been offered Bavarian troops under my Watch as Duke, it is not my fault that they haven't been used as effectively as they could have been. I am also concerned that given our boarders with France, our slowly worsening relationship with Sicily, and the Spanish advancement on Sardinia, evacuating all thr troops out of Bavaria woudl leave Bavaria, and the Capital Rome dangerously undefended.

(OOC: Does Rome still have a larger than normal garison?)

AussieGiant
07-23-2007, 16:45
The Austrian bench stands as one. Arnold draws his sword and points it at Jan

YOU PIECE OF FILTH!!

Before this Diet, the memory of my father and which ever godforsaken Kaiser ends up ruling this LAND, I swear to you JAN I will make you pay for your insults!!

I'm looking forward to placing your head on spike right on the border between my lands and that of Christ forsaken lands to the east.

Looking back at Franconian benches Arnold explodes into one last livid tirade

I asked you to deal with him Ansehelm!! You don't see my nobles insulting you ever, or repeatedly in the face of the Kaiser!! You're man life is forfeit in my view and I don't expect any recriminations from your Household on the actions I take to rectify his behavior!!

With that the Austrian benches leave en mass Arnold can be heard screaming orders to his household retainers and knights.

gibsonsg91921
07-23-2007, 16:47
As such, I propose that to resolve this matter, we should hold an emergency diet session to amend the charter to ensure future successions are laid out clearly and do not result in strife, and at the same time by a diet vote of the eligible, determine the rightful emperor of our holy roman empire.

An emergency session of Diet? Are you mad? You would reject the late Kaiser Jobst von Salza's wishes and refute Kaiser Siegfried von Kastilien's claim?

Gestures to his Shieldbearer and Lancebearer: C'mon, gents, lets escort this man and his retinue out of the building!

Ituralde
07-23-2007, 17:01
Siegfried raises a hand:

You will do no such thing, brother! This is a place of discussion and everyone is free to speak their mind about it. It is up to Emperor to remain the peace and not for every Elector and his accompanying bullies. In fact, I hereby ban all retinue bearing weapon from these Halls. We can't have this turn into a battlefield.

He turns to Hans.

I don't see any need to call an Emergency Session of the Diet either though. It is true that the exact formalities of succession are not covered by our Charter. At the same time though, it is clearly stated that the Emperor has the power to regulate when things are unclear. Surely this would apply to naming his own heir. I don't see why this should change all of a sudden. May I remind you that the late Emperor Jobst was also adopted, as was my father, and I have not heard of anyone doubting Emperor Henrys choice when he appointed him his heir.

While I agree that a formalization of this tradition may solve future crisis, it has no valid power over the current state of affairs. Jobst von Salza named me his heir, a fact that should better be accepted by all members of this Diet!

Privateerkev
07-23-2007, 17:25
The Austrian bench stands as one. Arnold draws his sword and points it at Jan

YOU PIECE OF FILTH!!

Before this Diet, the memory of my father and which ever godforsaken Kaiser ends up ruling this LAND, I swear to you JAN I will make you pay for your insults!!

I'm looking forward to placing your head on spike right on the border between my lands and that of Christ forsaken lands to the east.

Looking back at Franconian benches Arnold explodes into one last livid tirade

I asked you to deal with him Ansehelm!! You don't see my nobles insulting you ever, or repeatedly in the face of the Kaiser!! You're man life is forfeit in my view and I don't expect any recriminations from your Household on the actions I take to rectify his behavior!!

With that the Austrian benches leave en mass Arnold can be heard screaming orders to his household retainers and knights.

Jan and Frederick both look up at Arnold's outburst.

My dear duke, why wait? I am right here. I rather get this over with before I return to Outremer and face real enemies. You sir are a disgrace to your house, nation, and the lord. If you are going to threaten me, then just do it. I am tired of you, your words, and your actions. If noone else here is going to set you straight, then by God I will! I have fought far better men than you. Come Frederick, let teach this piece of !@#$% a lesson!

Jan and Frederick get up and leave the Diet chambers.

TinCow
07-23-2007, 17:36
All retinue bearing weapons...

*Lothar frowns and looks at his heavily armed companions, including a veteran warrior and a sheildbearer. He gestures for them to approach and then mumbles a few words which cannot be heard over the constant din of bickering in the Diet. As a group, Lothar's men begin to unstrap and unsling their various weaponry. As each deadly instrument is removed from a body, Lothar takes it and straps it to his own person.

After a few moments, he is so heavily laden with weaponry that their very weight makes standing difficult. With blades of all shapes and sizes protruding from scabbards, pockets, and chest-straps, Lothar Steffen sits back down. Just as it looks like he is getting comfortable, he lets out a yelp, reaches under his legs and pulls out an unsheathed dagger. Cursing mildly, he slips it gently into a breast pocket.*

As per the Kaiser's wishes, my retinue are now disarmed. Of course, they will need to stay very close to my person so that I do not fall over when I try to walk.

*Lothar eyes Jan von Hamburg as he departs and begins to finger one of the many instruments strapped to his personage.*

Stig
07-23-2007, 18:03
*Ansehelm stands*

As you know Arnold I said that I did not agree with Jan's words and still do not.
I hereby suggests he does not come back to the Diet till he needs to vote during the next Diet Session. No, I hereby order him not to come back till the next Diet Session. It is not my fault a Franconian insults other people, I have no control of his words, since my father is on holiday I don't want to make too big decisions, I take it you understand that.
And my apologize for my young cousin. Maybe you should take things up with his father, he might be able to beat talk some sense into the boy.

Now if you forgive me, I have to tell one of my aide's that he can bring a message to Breslau, there are still some Poles that need to be executed after my last battle.

And Hans, you know as well as I do that you can't break the Kaisers will. I too see no sense in making my little brother Kaiser, but it has been done, and the problem is is that it cannot be changed.
I also wish to state that I'm against a Emergency Session, the proper Diet will start next year, what's another year, hey?

And to another taking over as Kaiser, there's little we can do, the people see Siegfried as the new Kaiser, as they heard the will of Jobst being read out. If someone else takes over they will see it as a rebellion, which will break up the Reich. Something like that shouldn't happen, I take it you agree.

gibsonsg91921
07-23-2007, 18:27
If anyone more challenges the claim of my brother, Holy Roman Emperor Siegfried von Kastilien, to the throne, they will have to deal with me personally, as well as the Franconian Household Army.

Dismisses his retinue: Wait outside, there may be trouble yet. Keep your weapons ready.

Privateerkev
07-23-2007, 18:36
an aide to Jan von Hamburg stands up and addresses Ansehelm.

Respectfully my steward, I do not see how you have the authority to ban Jan von Hamburg from the Diet. Only the Emperor can do that. This matter is between Arnold and Jan. It was Duke Arnold that tried to bring you into this on his behalf. Jan never tried to get others to handle his conflicts and has always handled this by himself. So, to be clear, Jan von Hamburg respectfully disagrees with your order concerning the Diet and will not obey it.

Thank you and have a good day.

OOC: I know I said I'd try to have Jan speak in here more but I just RP'd having him walk out after Arnold and AG and I are planning something outside.

GeneralHankerchief
07-23-2007, 19:08
Conrad Salier:

Too much has happened recently to continue to discuss matters like good Christians and honorable men. I suggest that everyone head back to their posts and wait for orders from the new Kaiser or the Chancellor. Hopefully everything will have cooled down enough in 1260 to resume a more civilized discussion.

I also hereby swear my allegiance and fealty to Kaiser Siegfried. My Lord, Outremer is yours to command.

FactionHeir
07-24-2007, 01:20
Considering the exhaustion of our esteemed diet members, I shall then refrain from calling for an emergency session but remind that this matter shall be resolved at the next full session.

I mean no disrespect to the Franconians, but there are some rather serious doubts remaining about the truthfulness of the word and letter elevating young Siegfried to this position.

gibsonsg91921
07-24-2007, 01:31
Trust me, Count Hans, this is quite a shock to my brothers Ansehelm and Fritz, and myself. I only hope our father does not have a heart attack when he hears the news about little Siegfried! We did not have any plots, backroom dealings, or secret shady plans to elevate him to the throne of the most Holy and Indomitable Roman Empire. I swear on the Pope's @#$ that I know no more than you do regarding these shocking turn of events.

TevashSzat
07-24-2007, 01:49
I too am somewhat surprised by the Kaiser's choice of successor. Siegfried while noone can doubt his devotion to the empire has not been as experienced as other potential candidates. While I do not wish the draw to conclusions quickly, I dont not think pure intentions are at work here.

Us Swabians have held the Kaisers for as long as anyone can remember and while I do not wish do implicate others in nefarious actions, one can only think of what has happened these past few years among the other Houses. I personally have not been kept up to date of the newcomers as well as the politics in the Diet and the other prominent members of Swabia have rarely been active here for the past couple of years.

I too am not capricious and hope for this proposal to be approved. During the next diet, all 4 Dukes and a 5th member yet to be determined shall form a council and examine the events that have led to Kaiser Jobst's death as well as the chosen heir to the throne. A vote shall occur afterwards among the 5 members which shall determine the legitamacy of Siegfried's claims

gibsonsg91921
07-24-2007, 01:58
Well what do you suggest, Duke Scherer? Have an "Acting Kaiser" for a couple years while Siegfried ages? Depose him altogether? Why is it so difficult for Swabians to accept Kaiser Jobst's choice? There are multiple eyewitnesses who saw von Salza give the throne to Kaiser Siegfried! I think it is just sour grapes for the throne being passed on out of the Swabian household. I say so now as God as my witness - Jobst von Salza was the last good Swabian, perhaps barring Prinz Elberhard.

TevashSzat
07-24-2007, 02:35
Is that an insult directed towards me?

You may be new to politics, but I am not. I am one of few who still remembers our early days and the days of excommunication. Indeed it was I who helped to reconcile us with the Papacy and lead Swabia in its vengence against the French

GeneralHankerchief
07-24-2007, 02:48
Conrad Salier:

And I have now publicly mourned the passing of three Kaisers in the Diet, Duke Scherer, a record that you cannot match. Tenure matters little. It has been well-documented that Kaiser Jobst did indeed pass on his crown to Kaiser Siegfried. I believe that the Dieter fellow was in fact, Swabian. I am sure that the Kaiser had his reasons for passing on the crown to Siegfried and we are all bound to accept that reasoning.

TinCow
07-24-2007, 03:12
And so it begins again. We have been forced to choose between our oldest, unwavering allies, the Sicilians, and the Papacy that blesses us and damns us at a whim. Kaiser Heinrich would be turning in his grave if he knew we had abandoned our most trusted allies over some minor skirmish at Durazzo. We control the entire College of Cardinals. We control the Pope, yet we continue to let the Papal States dictate the terms of our foreign affairs. It is a sad day when the Reich cannot properly recognize who is a true ally and who is a vassal state.

GeneralHankerchief
07-24-2007, 03:16
Conrad Salier:

Oh, I wouldn't say that. The Papacy recently did us a favor by mauling two large Egyptian armies threatening a good portion of Outremer. When is the last time the Sicilians did any such thing?

gibsonsg91921
07-24-2007, 03:17
You know Lothar, I dislike you deeply, but when it comes to the Pope I forget that and I can't help but agree with you and stand by you. Why does this man think we should break our loyalties for a powerhungry warmongering fool?

TinCow
07-24-2007, 03:34
Of course the King of Outremer would see value in such a thing. Need I remind him that Outremer would not even exist if it were not for our desire to make an excessive an unnecessary show of penance to the Pope? Outremer has brought us nothing but grief and misery. It has drained the Reich of armies that are badly needed to protect the homelands and sapped her strength of competent generals. The Pope's recent victories against the Egyptians were not even for our own benefit, but rather to ensure that his own seat of power remained intact. The very fact that you see selflessness in such an act shows how delusional some men in the East have become.

Return to the Reich, gentlemen, I assure you that no 'Horse Lords' will trouble you here. Let the heretics fight amongst themselves until Armageddon comes.

gibsonsg91921
07-24-2007, 03:40
The Pope has Durazzo, why not protect him there? Jerusalem may have once been a Holy City, but now it is a land of heresy and heathens. In fact, the Pope is much safer in Durazzo, the old @#$%^&*. As much as I still begrudge his presence in Durazzo, I would much rather have the lords of Outremer return to the Reich and fight against enemies on our homeland.

TinCow
07-24-2007, 03:45
For once, I am in full agreement with a Franconian.

GeneralHankerchief
07-24-2007, 04:15
Conrad Salier:

Your worldview being as limited as it is, Lothar, I would expect you to say something like that. You were not old enough to remember life before Outremer. The Reich's very soul was at risk. We had been excommunicated for an age, money was not coming easily, and the fears were that we would be the target of a Crusade. Outremer changed all that. It was approved by noble commanders, men that you could only dream to emulate. It gave us all, and still continues to give the faithful, inner peace.

As for Peter, if, as you say, Jerusalem is a land of heresy and heathens, then is it not our duty as good Christians to work and remove that heresy?

gibsonsg91921
07-24-2007, 04:19
Perhaps, but as a religious man, can't you think of a safer and more holy place to put the Pope?

Privateerkev
07-24-2007, 04:28
Perhaps, but as a religious man, can't you think of a safer and more holy place to put the Pope?

Jan's aide pipes up

Safer maybe but is there a more holy place than Jerusalem?

gibsonsg91921
07-24-2007, 04:32
Jerusalem may have once been holy, but it is polluted by the heathen Saracens. Take him to *scoff* Durazzo, take him to the side of the road, I really don't care.

OverKnight
07-24-2007, 06:40
Matthias, flicking a bit of seaweed off his shoulder, speaks.

It is unfortunate that Sicily's ill conceived attack on Durazzo forced us to choose between two allies. I am astounded that their leader willingly chose to plunge his country into excommunication for a simple territory. It is the height of stupidity. Yes Sicily was our oldest Ally, but if they were foolish enough to attack the Pope, could we really trust them anyway? Would we want to keep such a foolish ally?

The whole situation is unfortunate because we now have another potentially hostile nation on our border. Though I would not advocate an aggressive approach towards Sicily. We may no longer be allies, but I say we stay out of any conflict between them and the Church, we owe them that much and we are stretched thin as it is. It seems the Church is now capable of defending itself anyway.

Lothar, Outremer has brought us much more than grief and misery. Besides the benefit of doing God's work, which you seem to care little about, there are more practical aspects that even you might acknowledge. The Missionary work done there by our priests has allowed many of them to rise into the College of Cardinals and even the Throne of Peter. Of course we can never fully control the Church, but we have by far the most sway over it. If we ever need another Crusade called, I am sure we'll have it.

Has it always been easy to work with the Church, mercurial as it sometime is? No, but it is worth it. As for abandoning Outremer, that would be most unwise, Peter. Would you have us give all five territories to the Mongols? The Egyptians? Or the Papacy? If we abandon Outremer, sooner or later the enemies we fight there would make their way to the Reich's homelands. I say we fight them there, so we don't have to fight them here.

There have been times on my long slog to the Holy Land, that I have doubted my choice to go there. That I wished to turn around or just stayed on the docks at Bologna. I am not even there yet, but I will be someday. The Mongols might already have perished again, there may be nothing for me to do, but I will continue on. I will do this because Outremer is the Reich, it is a dream brought to reality by our greatest Generals and Statesmen, it is the sword and shield of Christendom, and it is worth keeping and defending.

Cecil XIX
07-24-2007, 07:52
Now that I have spent a day in mourning, I am now ready to swear fealty to Emperor Siegfried. Let us put this incident behind us and work towards finally achieving a state of normalcy.

Stig
07-24-2007, 08:51
*Ansehelms stands and speaks*

Duke Scherer, you want to have a vote amongst Dukes. But do we need that.
Bavaria swore it would follow Kaiser Siegfried, The Outremer did the same and believe me there's little anyone can do from stopping Franconia as well.
That's 3 out of 5 houses. I don't see a reason to vote, next to that in this Diet I heard little against Siegfried, apart from Hummel everyone withdrew their statements after Dieter brought in the will.
All in all only the Swabians seem upset, because they don't have the Kaiser anymore.

No there's no reason what so ever to do any voting.
Let me give you a collection of what has been said:
Jan von Hamburg

Long live the Kaiser!
Matthias Steffen

I am your man.
Lothar Steffen

I hereby proclaim my loyalty to Kaiser Siegfried.
Duke Steffen

re-afirm my allegiance to the current Kaiser
King Salier

My Lord, Outremer is yours to command.
Sigismund von Mahren

I am now ready to swear fealty to Emperor Siegfried.

And take it that all Franconians support Kaiser Siegfried.
That gives us a Diet influence (if all stayed the same (little changed I think)) of 38 and everyone who did not swore to follow Siegfried yet have 26 influence with voting.

And I fail to see how people as loyal to the Reich as you Hans (OOC: 9 loyalty) do not see Siegfried as Kaiser.

Ignoramus
07-24-2007, 09:03
Conrad Hohenburg rises up slowly.

Kaiser Hans does not see Siegfried as Kaiser because he is loyal to ancient blood right of Kingship. Siegfried is naught but a pretender.

Stig
07-24-2007, 09:09
And you sir have been banned from the Diet the last time I heard.
Hans never called himself Kaiser, so why would you?

Ignoramus
07-24-2007, 09:52
Conrad rises again and glances at the Ansehelm.

Banned by a usurper? I may be only twenty years of age, but I am no fool. I do not recognise Siegfried's authority, and as such am not bound to follow his orders.

Conrad resumes his seat, and begins writing furiously.

Ituralde
07-24-2007, 12:54
I would just like to remind everybody that those who, like me, follow the will of the late Emperor Jobst will be rewarded for their loyalty while those who still oppose this appointment even after numerous evidence has been presented and still have the presumption to call the late Emperor Jobst, his trusted aid Dieter and myself a liar will not be forgotten.

Stig
07-24-2007, 13:00
*Ansehelm rises*

Hohenburg, I give "poo" about insulting the emperor, he's the one to deal with that. But I do care if you insult my little brother, which you are more or less doing.
I call on Duke Scherer to talk some sense into the boy.

OverKnight
07-24-2007, 13:32
Matthias looks at Conrad, irritation flashing across his face.

I will ignore the fact that you have threatened my life, Conrad. I will simply ask that you pass on to your master certain facts.

First, Hans, to his credit, has sought out a legislative solution to his concerns over the succession. This makes your Master's declaration of armed struggle in his name to the men at Adana somewhat ludicrous.

Second, Karl Zirn commands at Adana. Even if Wolfgang wished to raise the Citadel in revolt, he only leads his own retinue. Now the thirty odd men of his escort could be the reincarnation of Alexander's companions but they are still too few in number to alter anything.

Third, the primary reason your master hasn't been dragged kicking and screaming to the gallows for treason is the fact that not one Elector that I know of supports him or his goals. It is not a rebellion, it is a farce. You should be happy it is seen as such, or Wolfgang would suffer the same premature end as his Father.

If I were you, I would leave this chamber and pass on these observations to Wolfgang before your cries of treachery and usurpation draw the full ire of this Diet onto you and your Master.

Ituralde
07-24-2007, 13:56
Two burly men appear beside the furiously scribbling Conrad.

You may not, like your master, accept my authority, but I am sure those two men will help you understand my point of view a little better while they accompany you to the exit.

Siegfried smiles faintly as Conrad is, depending on his level of resistance, followed by the two men, or carried out bodily.

And you can tell your master, that I will be waiting here for his apology!

Northnovas
07-25-2007, 01:36
A familiar figure walks into the Diet and heads for the Austrian seats. It has been some since the Count was hear debating but a new session will begin shortly....

Electors, it is good to see some familiar faces and to see this room is still in one piece after all the dispatches I have been hearing about the behaviour of the members. There will be much to discuss.
Before any official business begins I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to Chancellor von Hamburg for his leadership these last few years. I concur with his report and I would say that all of the Reich is grateful for pulling us through and getting to where we are today. I salute you!

The Count sits in the benches looking for his Duke.

OverKnight
07-25-2007, 01:37
Matthias looks at the latest report.

Jerusalem has fallen?! This is terrible news. We must approach the new Pope and ask that a Third Crusade be called to liberate the Holy City! Despite the Mongol threat, we cannot allow the Saracens to hold Jerusalem!

I would also like to thank the Chancellor, he has done much to bring the Reich back to greatness. He has made a difficult job look easy.

GeneralHankerchief
07-25-2007, 01:41
Conrad Salier:

It is my greatest regret to inform the Diet that we in Outremer have failed.

If you have not yet viewed the Chancellor's Report, let me inform you of what has transpired: The remainder of the Egyptian forces outside Jerusalem besieged and assaulted the city. They were not expected to prevail but did just that, taking the city and killing the Pope. The Holiest City is now once again in infidel hands.

I admit that the Horse Lord threat is partially to blame for this. We were all focused on destroying them while the Egyptians were allowed to so threaten the Papacy without a peep from us. I feel responsible - I ordered the nearest army north. Perhaps they could have assisted in time.

I know that the Diet Session has yet to begin but once it does I will introduce legislation to take back Jerusalem and return it to the Papacy. I refuse to be known as the man who abandoned the Pope and Jerusalem to the infidel. If you disagree, then we might as well pack up and return home, for Outremer has no purpose if there is no Pope to protect.

Northnovas
07-25-2007, 01:45
I concur with King Salier. I have committed by family and time in the Outremer and it's mission was to protect the Holy City. We must refocus on our purpose, no God's purpose for the Reich. To portect Jerusalem.

Privateerkev
07-25-2007, 01:58
Jan von Hamburg comes through the Diet doors with his new Teutonic Knight, Maximillian. He walks over to his table, is caught up on what has been said, and turns to speak.

My fellow electors!

King Salier is right! We need to move on Jerusalem at once! As soon as such legislation is put forward, I would be honored to second it!

God wills it!

FactionHeir
07-25-2007, 07:52
I applaud my Duke for this most worthy proposal which I will be sure to support.
I would also like to remind that until said examination and voting concludes, swearing fealty to young Siegfried might be well unwise. There should be no more insults thrown in these chambers for proposing worthy legislation, which is the civil way of resolving this matter.

Now that this is said, I believe although Conrad and Wolfgang may have exaggerated slightly with an armed rebellion, they should be free to speak their mind...civilly.

And finally, I would like to know when the Diet Speaker would like to open the session in earnest, seeing how we do not have a fully accepted Emperor at this point in time.

Stig
07-25-2007, 08:35
But you have seen the will of Kaiser Jobst Hans, it says that Siegfried is his heir, there's nothing you can do.

econ21
07-25-2007, 11:14
Diet Speaker: I apologise for the delay in opening this Diet session. There will be now three days for the proposal of Edicts and Charter Amendments, followed by a 24 hour period of voting. Candidates for the post of Chancellor should present their manifestoes. The deadline for candidates to declare, and laws to be proposed and seconded, is Saturday 11am (UK time).

OverKnight
07-25-2007, 11:31
Matthias stands and speaks:

Kaiser Siegfried, Prinz Elberhard and my fellow Electors, I stand before you to announce my candidacy for the Chancellorship.

The last twenty years have been a challenge for the Reich. We faltered, we endured set backs and losses, but due to the efforts of Chancellor von Hamburg we are well on our way back to dominance. The last term has shown the harm a disinterested or secretive Chancellor can do to the Reich, but it has also shown that an invested and competent Chancellor can bring quick recovery and triumph. I wish to continue the skilled administration shown by Count Fredericus the Crusader.

The first priority of my Chancellorship would be to secure the borders of the Reich. We are on our way to doing this, but there is work left to be done. No foreign army should be able to enter the Reich unchallenged or unnoticed. To accomplish this, the Household armies will be brought up to strength, and watchtowers will be added on our frontiers where there are currently none. The Army of the Interior, or European Imperial Army as Kaiser Jobst called it, would be used to reinforce the areas of the Reich under threat. If that is not enough, extra forces will be dispatched to the Houses as needed. The goal is to push our enemies back so that Citadels like Thorn are a source of reinforcement, not the first line of defense.

As for the Russian Crusade, I support it in its current form, and if Thorn is relatively secure, I would have it commence. I am confident the Crusade would draw the attention of the Russians and Poles away from Franconia and to their own territories.

Second, Jerusalem must be retaken and returned to the Papal States. If elected I would immediately contact the Pope and ask for a Third Crusade on the Holy City. It must not stay in the hands of the heathens! We have sacrificed too much, and benefited too greatly from our role as Protector of the Church to turn back now. I have heard rumors the plague infects the city, if this is true, I would only ask for volunteers to participate in the Crusade. Outremer has the resources to man the Crusade, so unless any nobles in the homeland wish to take the Cross, there will be no need for armies shipping across the Mediterranean or epic marches across Asia Minor.

Due to the greed of our Ally, Byzantium, we have lost our land link to Outremer. I would like this restored, but I will leave this to the Electors to decide.

Third, we must return some of our focus to the financial health of the Reich. The trials of the past years have caused us, understandably, to focus on the immediate military interests of the Empire, but now that we have some breathing room we should take stock of our resources and seek to enrich our coffers. If elected I will conduct a thorough review of the Reich's finances, trade and taxation levels. No towns will riot because of the tax man during my term. Merchants will be recruited and sent out to trade, and efficiencies will be sought in garrisons. The Reich needs money to modernize our forces, continue and increase our building program and for diplomacy. Financial management is not as glorious as battle, but it is often the key to a nation's success.

Fourth, we must have a honest and responsive Chancellor. If elected I will conduct my term in the open. I will not buy territories behind the backs of the Electors, or fiddle while Rome riots around us. If Electors have questions I will answer them. I can't guarantee they'll like the responses, but at least they'll have them. I will deal with all the Houses equally, for I wish the entire Reich to be strengthened, not just one man or one House. I hope this open and fair handed approach will alleviate some of the acrimony and factionalism that has become prevalent in the Diet. The greatest threat to the Reich, as I have said before, is internal not external. Together, as one Empire, we can accomplish great things, divided, we will fall.

Electors, I hope you will find me worthy to serve the Reich. I will answer any questions you might have of me.

Stig
07-25-2007, 11:37
If it means anything to you Matthias, you have my support to gain chancellorship.

As for the Crusade into Russia, I will come with a statement concerning it one of these days. In my opinion it is still needed. The army is more or less finished. Thorn in secure and the FHA can deal with the Poles. If that crusade leaves it will mean no more Russians within the borders of the Reich.
However I would prefer to attack Bulgar instead of Moscow myself, but because of my loyalty towards the Reich, and towards it's former Kaisers I will leave the last Edict proposed by Kaiser Henry unharmed.
But that's for later when I come with a full statement.

TinCow
07-25-2007, 12:11
*Lothar Steffen, still ensconced within a garment of steel, rises to address the Diet.*

Electors, the Reich is a pitiful shadow of its once glorious self. Our borders exist in name only, with hostile armies crossing into our lands at will to loot and pillage. Our armies are weakened and even those decent forces that have been assembled are insufficient to protect our vast lands. Money and men are constantly siphoned off from the Homelands to aid ridiculous foreign enterprises that benefit an elite few Electors. The Reich needs a Chancellor who cares only for the good of the German peoples and who sacrifices all else to maintain and increase the prosperity of the Reich. Electors, the Reich needs a man like me!

I hereby declare my candidacy for the Chancellorship. Under my control, I promise you that foreign interests will no longer take priority over the Reich. Outremer is a folly and a failure. Its reason for existing was to protect the Pope’s new seat in Jerusalem, yet the ‘Crusaders’ were not even capable of doing that. They did not even bother to send an army to assist the Pope when he was assaulted by the Saracens. Now the Pope is dead and Jerusalem has been sacked. I see no further reason to expend our resources to prop up this failed enterprise.

I am not so ignorant as to abandon those lands, but nor shall I permit them to receive aid from the Homelands. Under my Chancellorship, not a single Imperial or Ducal soldier will journey East to aid Outremer. Furthermore, no funds will be allocated to construction or recruitment in Outremer beyond what those provinces earn themselves. If the lands are truly valuable, surely they can afford to pay for their own defenses. If they cannot, then they are a drain on the Reich and will not be missed when they fall to the Eastern hordes. I will gladly make the Imperial fleets available to evacuate any Elector in Outremer who sees the truth in my words and wishes to flee before the inevitable fall.

I note with pride that the legislation for the “Teutonic Crusade” has expired and I urge all Electors to vote against any attempts to resurrect it. However, even if new legislation is passed, I shall not permit this ridiculous Franconian expedition to Russia to receive Imperial aid. I respect the independence of the Houses and I will not stop Franconian generals from leading Franconian troops off to war, but I will not allow a single Imperial florin to be spent to support them. If they insist on this foolish endeavor, they will have to do with the forces that are already assembled. No provision will be made for mercenary recruitment along the way. I will not line the pockets of Rus mercenaries when that money could be better spent elsewhere. If the ‘Teutonic Crusaders’ find themselves in peril as a result, then they have only themselves to blame for their idiotic ambitions.

What will I do with all the money saved by these measures? I shall invest it in the Reich. Our peoples have recently been unhappily subjected to cruel taxation. I shall appease them by prioritizing the construction of brothels and drinking houses. Churches are all well and good, but men need room to breathe from the constraints of preachers and priests. I will also ensure that the Household Armies are strengthened to a degree never before seen in the Reich’s history. Under my Chancellorship, no army will cross our borders without being immediately challenged by a large, professional force. There will be more than enough commands for every Knight who seeks glory and profit!

My brother appears to think himself a Chancellor as well. *Lothar turns and looks at Matthias.* How quaint, brother. I did not realize your tutors had released you from schooling yet. Is Helga still your nanny? I certainly hope so, for I remember that she had the most wonderful… pies. Perhaps I should pay you a visit to see her again. Lothar turns back to the Diet.*

In short, Electors, I am a man of the people. My brother is a child. I promise security and prosperity for the Homelands the likes of which you have never seen. Vote for me and I will deliver all I have said and more.

econ21
07-25-2007, 13:11
Diet Speaker: On a point of order, it has come to my attention that there is some debate over whether the Kingdom of Outremer can propose Household Edicts. I can find nothing in our Charter or its Amendments that would give it that right.

However, out of deference to King Salier, I am reserving Edict 11.1 for a motion to crusade to recapture Jerusalem. The exact wording, and who will propose such an Edict, can be decided at a later point.

Stig
07-25-2007, 13:31
I'm sorry to say so Lothar, but to me it seems like you speak foolish words, not your childish brother.
Outremer needs support, have you seen those Mongols, and have you seen Jerusalem. We cannot abondon it now.
And about the Teutonic Crusade, the army is ready. Thorn is safe, the only person that would have to pay consequenses would be me, as I might be killed, that's my choice, I want to defend my Duchy from the Russians, give me that chance, it's not hard to call the crusade back, not hard at all. We can always try and if we don't succeed we pull back. Remember that all we need for it is an army, and we have that. Next to that we need to reinforce it using mercenaries, but that will be a maximum of 5000 Florins, as by then it will be hard to find any mercenaries not on our side.

And remember both our last two Kaisers wanted this crusade, any loyal German would follow them.

Ituralde
07-25-2007, 13:33
I just want to note that I will not make use of my prerogative of taking the post of Chancellor during this season. I welcome the manifestoes of both Bavarian candidates and applaud them for their bravery in stepping forwards to lead the Reich in this time of crisis. I shall yet decide whose agenda is more to my liking.

OverKnight
07-25-2007, 14:57
Matthias is visibly surprised by Lothar's announcement. As his brother's speech progresses, Matthias's grip on the armrests of his chair grows white knuckled. With the Kaiser's announcement, he relaxes a bit. Going over a scroll a scribe has brought him, Matthias rises and bows to Siegfried.

Thank you mein Kaiser.

Allow me to show some financial figures from 1240 and 1260 to illustrate one of my earlier points.

https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb88/douglaslain/compare.jpg

As you can see, merchant trade has decreased. This can be rectified. Also tax revenue is down quite a bit, no doubt due to rebellion, rioting and it's aftermath. With careful management of tax levels and garrisons, this too can be increased. Trade between cities has increased, which is a sign that the maturation and conversion of our settlements in Outremer is paying dividends.

I know this a dry topic, but money is very important to the management and defense of the Reich.

Glancing over at the Bavarian delegation, Matthias takes a deep breath.

I will now respond to some of my opponent's assertions.

Outremer is a folly and a failure.

I disagree. We have suffered a setback with the taking of Jerusalem, but this will be corrected with the Third Crusade. Our standing with the Papacy is perfect and all Cardinals except one are Imperial priests. We shall easily have the Crusade called. The reason that can happen is because of our work in Outremer. Our Missionaries in that land become Cardinals, and those Cardinals elect one of our own as Pope. As long as we are there and the guardian of the Church, it will stay that way.

My opponent wishes to abandon Outremer to its own defense. If we withdrew from the Holy Land, do you think the Mongols would be satisfied with just the Levant? The Huns made it all the way to Rome from the same Steppes the Mongols came from. Only the intercession of the Pope, and a massive bribe, stopped them from sacking the very city we meet in. We fight them over there, so that they may never come here.

I note with pride that the legislation for the “Teutonic Crusade” has expired and I urge all Electors to vote against any attempts to resurrect it.

Count Ansehelm has already spoken capably in the defense of this Crusade. I agree with the arguments he has made.

In short, Electors, I am a man of the people. My brother is a child. I promise security and prosperity for the Homelands the likes of which you have never seen. Vote for me and I will deliver all I have said and more.

My opponent promises wonderful things. He promises huge armies, glory, a wench and a beer for every peasant and more. What he doesn't mention is specifics. How will he fund all this, particularly if he leaves a fifth of the Reich to wither on the vine?

Do not believe his promises.

Thank you.