PDA

View Full Version : XL Recommendation: Burgundians/Late

Roark
07-10-2007, 08:22
For anyone with XL, I highly recommend giving the Burgundians a go in Late, if you haven't already.

- Moderately challenging economy at start-up
- Big, powerful neighbours :-)
- Heaps of options for expansion and development (NSEW)
- Local unit: Coustilliers, plus ability to quickly assimilate Switzerland and enjoy those units for the duration of the game.

My interest in MTW was just starting to wane, but I've had a blast so far, and
have been combining Swiss pikes, arquebueses, and light lancer/javelineers (Coustilliers).

naut
07-10-2007, 11:48
I'd have to agree I tried them once and it was quite fun playing against big old nasty France and HRE.

macsen rufus
07-10-2007, 12:12
:2thumbsup: Quite agree, as well! Wiped the map with coustilliers and Swiss halbs... not sure I ever finished that campaign, and now you've whetted my appetite again :beam:

The Darkhorn
07-10-2007, 17:51
Do they show up once you reach the High period in campaign games when you are playing someone else from the early period?

Innocentius
07-11-2007, 00:07
The Burgundians are one of finest factions IMHO, especially their unit roser. Heavy infantry and more heavy infantry as far as the eye can see. Topped with my - relatively heavily modded - handgunners this makes them one of the best factions military-wise.

Roark
07-11-2007, 04:30
Do they show up once you reach the High period in campaign games when you are playing someone else from the early period?

I'm playing XL, but in 2.01 they usually emerge in the 1300's, from memory...

The local conditions have to be right though, I think. If whomever owns Burgundy is strong with high local loyalty, I believe that there's a chance that the Burgundians don't emerge.

Garnier
07-11-2007, 17:11
I played an game as the Germans (in vanilla) and played to 1430 something, hoping for the Burgundians to emerge.. was disappointed when they didn't.

The Darkhorn
07-11-2007, 17:25
I am currently in 1365 of an XL campaign. They haven't emerged, but I am very strong with high loyalty everywhere and I own Burgundy. I'd love a real enemy to fight if just for one battle. Hmmm....maybe I should wipe out the Pope and wait for re-emergence.

Hugalu
03-27-2008, 20:23
Can somebody please start a sticky thread on BKB so we can write guides for them? I now find myself playing exclusively BKB because it's much more fun than XL so I would like to see some guides on them please. I hope others might too.

Lord Omega
09-21-2008, 14:53
I've made all the minor factions playable and I personally would like to have the Burgundians start at the beginning of the High as well as Late age but I've no idea how to achieve this without screwing something up...