PDA

View Full Version : Battles of the Civil War - The Battle of Wilson's Creek

CountArach
07-12-2007, 07:44
INTRODUCTION

Armies of the North and South fought the Battle of Wilson's Creek about ten miles southwest of Springfield, Missouri, on Saturday, 10 August 1861. The battle had the effect of securing the state for the Union. The Union defeat in battle, so closely following the disaster at First Bull Run, caused the North to adopt a more serious attitude about the war and to realize that victory would come only with detailed planning and proper resourcing. Thus, the Union reinforced Missouri with soldiers and weapons during the fall and winter of 1861-62, while the Confederacy applied its scanty resources elsewhere.

Casualty percentages in the fighting were among the highest recorded for any battles of the Civil War. Although the men lost on both sides were almost equal in number, losses were not proportional; nearly one of every four Federals was either killed, wounded, captured, or missing in the battle, but only one of every eight Confederates. These figures exceeded those of the Mexican-American War and foreshadowed the stupendous totals that emerged as the Civil War evolved. While casualty figures do not always serve well as a measure of valour or expertise, clearly at Wilson's Creek, generally inexperienced soldiers led by equally inexperienced officers fought determinedly for six bloody hours.

The battle was fought between the Union Army of the West and the Confederate Western Army. These armies totalled 5431 and 10175 men respectively. The complete Order of Battle (OOB) can be seen below. This Battle puts you in charge of the Union Army of the West, as seen from the point of view of Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon. You will also be called on to fight from the points of view of inferior officers, usually in command of a Brigade. You will be given Multiple Choice options for most things, however you will be allowed at any point to give another option and use that if you wish. At the end of three days, after me posting the chapter, I will tally the most popular result, and that will be what is taken. Everyone gets a vote.

I am hoping this can become a regular thing in the future, and that I can fight larger battles this way.

Union Order of Battle

Army of the West – United States - 5,431
Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon
First Brigade – 884
Major Sturgis
1st U.S. Infantry – 300
Capt Plummer

2nd Missouri Infantry – 150
Major Osterhaus

Kansas Rangers and 1st U.S. Cavalry – 350
Capt Wood

Battery F, 2nd U.S. Artillery – 84, 6 Guns
Capt Totten

Second Brigade - 1,200
Col Sigel
3rd Missouri Infantry and 5th Missouri Infantry – 990
Lt Col Albert

Company I, 1st U.S. Cavalry – 65
Capt Carr

Company C, 2nd U.S. Dragoons – 60
Lt Farrand

Backof's Missouri Light Artillery – 85, 6 Guns
Lts Schuetzenbach and Schaeffer

Third Brigade - 1,116
LtCol Andrews
2nd U.S. Infantry – 275
Capt Steele

1st Missouri Infantry – 775
LtCol Andrews

Du Bois's Battery (U.S. Regulars) – 66, 3 Guns
Lt Du Bois

Fourth Brigade - 2,400
Col Deitzler
1st Iowa Infantry – 800
Col Bates

1st Kansas Infantry – 800
Col Dietzler

2nd Kansas Infantry – 600
Lt Col Blair

Home Guards – 200
Capt Wright
[/B]

Confederate Order of Battle

Western Army – Confederate - 10175
Brigadier General Benjamin McCulloch

Pearce's Brigade - 2,234Brig. Gen. Pearce

[B]1st Arkansas Cavalry - 350
Col. Carroll

Carroll's Cavalry - 40
Capt. A. Carroll

3d Arkansas Infantry – 500
Col. Gratiot

4th Arkansas Infantry - 550
Col. Walker

5th Arkansas Infantry - 650
Col. Dockery

Woodruff's Battery - 4 guns, 71 men
Capt. Woodruff Jr.

Reid's Battery - 4 guns, 73 men
Capt. Reid

McCulloch's Brigade - 2720 Brig. Gen. Ben McCulloch

3d Louisiana Infantry - 700
Col. Hebert

Arkansas Infantry - 220
Lt. McRae

1st Arkansas Mounted Rifles - 600
Col. Churchill

2d Arkansas Mounted Rifles - 400
Col. McIntosh

South Kansas-Texas Mounted Regiment - 800
Col. Greer

MISSOURI STATE GUARD - 5,221
Maj. Gen. Sterling Price

2d Division (2,526)
Brig. Gen. James S. Rains

Infantry Brigade - 1,250
Col. Weightman
1st Missouri State Guard Infantry
2d Missouri State Guard Infantry
3d Missouri State Guard Infantry
4th Missouri State Guard Infantry

Cavalry Brigade - 1,210
Col. Cawthorn

Bledsoe's Battery (3 guns, 66 men)

3d Division - 573
Brig. Gen. Charles Clark
Burbridge's Infantry - 273
Col. J. Q. Burbridge

Major's Cavalry - 300
Lt. Col. J. P. Major

4th Division - 934
Brig. Gen. William Y. Slack
Hughes Infantry, and Thornton's Infantry - 650
Col. John T. Hughes and Maj. C. C. Thornton

Rives' Cavalry - 234
Col. B. A. Rives

6th Division - 601
Brig. Gen. Monroe M. Parsons
Kelly's Infantry - 195
Col. Kelly

Brown's Cavalry - 406
Col. Brown

Guibor's Battery - 4 guns, 61 men
Capt. H. Guibor

7th Division - 645
Brig. Gen. J.H. McBride
Wingo's Infantry - 300
Col. Wingo

Foster's Infantry - 305
Col. Foster

Campbell's Cavalry - 40
Capt. Campbell

So, any questions? The first chapter will be posted tomorrow. Perhaps today if I am feeling up to it.

Maps
Topographic and Aerial Map:
http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=15&X=1159&Y=10265&W=2
(Click the tab at the top for the other Map)

Map of the battle:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/Wilsons_Creek.jpg

This is a bit of the way into the battle, you will start before the deployment, so ignore where the soldiers are at this time.

Satellite Images:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.1010,-93.4078&q=37.1010,-93.4078&spn=0.015,0.025&t=h
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?cp=37.1010|-93.4078&style=h&lvl=15&v=1

Good Map of the Battlefield:
http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/Knapp/images/img32.gif

Index
Chapter 1 - Pre-Battle Manoeuvres (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1607177&postcount=11)
Chapter 2 - Pre-Battle Manoeuvres II (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1609495&postcount=36)
Chapter 3 - Location of Command (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1611504&postcount=46)
Chapter 4 - Nearing Dawn (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1613743&postcount=61)
Chapter 5 - Dawn's First Light (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1618286&postcount=74)
Chapter 6 - The Artillery Rang Forth! (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1622149&postcount=97)
Chapter 7 - The Tension Rises, The Battle Comes Yonder (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1628289&postcount=108)
Chapter 8 - The Battle Arrives (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1634385&postcount=123)

Tran
07-12-2007, 07:51
Interesting!

- I clicked "More..." button but nothing come up?
- Will it alive forever or will it die like Napoleonic?

CountArach
07-12-2007, 07:53
This is much easier to do than the Napoleonic Interactive. This is just one chapter every three days, with no PMs to write up.

I don't know what is wrong with the "Read" button. It works for me. Just click it once.

Warluster
07-12-2007, 07:55
Looks good CA, though a IA on American History, what about a Australian one... :P

Tran
07-12-2007, 07:56
I'm not sure either. Few minutes ago, I clicked the Confederate ORBAT and it worked (Union didn't work) and now, both didn't work :stupido2:

Franconicus
07-12-2007, 08:00
I can use both! Sorry, Tran, but it seems to be your personal problem!! :surrender2:

CountArach
07-12-2007, 08:04
Looks good CA, though a IA on American History, what about a Australian one... :P
lol, we have the msot boring history of any country.

Tran
07-12-2007, 08:06
I decided to use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox and now it worked! :idea: Must have something to do with the browser.

CountArach
07-12-2007, 08:16
Adding some maps to the OP.

Warluster
07-12-2007, 08:47
lol, we have the msot boring history of any country.

Gold Rush, WWI, WWII, East Timor....

:grin3: Uh well.

CountArach
07-12-2007, 09:10
Chapter 1 – Pre Battle Manoeuvres
August 9th, 1861 – 1800 Hours

You are Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyons, born in Connecticut in July 1818. You attended the US Military Academy in 1841, then proceeded to participate in the Seminole and Mexican Wars. Ion May of this year you were promoted from Captain to Brigadier General, a large promotion by any standard. Yet that is all behind you now, what stands before you is the battle.

You are in command of the almost 5500 men of the Army of the West, comprised of four Brigades and 15 guns. You have very little cavalry; however what you do have is of a decent quality.

It is now 1800 Hours, and nightfall is about one hour off. You know that a battle is almost unavoidable at this point. Your scouts report over 10000 men in the Confederate army opposing you, with a large cavalry advantage and about the same number of guns.

Your Scouts also report that to your south, around the hills, there are about 2300 soldiers, under the command of Brigadier General Rains. We have a numerical superiority, yet they have dug in and have set up camp for the night.

You must decide what to do:

Decision 1 - Where shall we make camp?
Nightfall is one hour off. We must decide where to make camp, or if we should attack the enemy soldiers around the hills to our south.
Option A – Near the Farmhouse of E. B Short, on the North of the likely Battlefield
Option B – Near Gibson’s Mill to our south, about three quarters of a mile.
Option C – Do not strike camp, we shall seek a battle with the soldiers, under Brigadier General Rains in the hills to the South-West of Gibson’s Mill.
Option D – Other.

Decision 2 – When to make camp?
We should decide when to make cap and let our men rest. The expected sunrise is just after 0500 tomorrow. We have about 1 hour of daylight left.
Option A – As soon as we arrive at our destination
Option B – No rest for our men. They should be on high alert all night
Option C – Rest, but not before ensuring the area is secure and pickets are set up
Option D – No rest, attack.
Option E - Other

Decision 3 – A Flanking Manoeuvre?
We have the chance to send one of our Brigades around to flank the enemy. They will march to the East, and find a crossing. Our guides say they should arrive behind the expected enemy positions at about 0500.
Option A – We should send a Brigade that way (Specify which one)
Option B – We should detach a regiment or regiments to take this route (Specify which).
Option C – We should stay together and send no one
Option D – Other.

You have 2 days, the option with the most selections in each section will be chosen. I have chosen to cut this down to 2 days, because now that I think about it, you don’t need 3 days to debate these things.

Warluster
07-12-2007, 09:19
Well we certianly don't strike the enemy, as they have the advantage of a hill. I'd say A, as if that is where battle is spectualted to be, then we have the advantage of being dug in.
So A for one for me.

For number 2, the men need rest to fight effiecently, but the enmy has Cavalry supreiority, so they could strike at night, but rest is required of good soldiers. So I say C

And for the last, we should sent a Regiment, so its quick, if we attack we can feint from the flank, then strike from our starting position. SO I say A and Kansas Rangers and 1st U.S. Cavalry

CountArach
07-12-2007, 09:49
By teh way, when I say "likely Battlefield" I mean the maps. The Battlefield could end up anywhere on the map.

Franconicus
07-12-2007, 10:21
:coffeenews: Let's make an analysis of the starting position:
1) We are outnumbered
2) We have less cavalry
3) The enemy is on the hills

But:
our soldiers are better (most of them are German, if memory serves ~;) !

Therefore, no reason to worry. Let's try to defeat those bloody rebels!

Right now, I see two possible operation plans:

1) The Lee style:
We do exactly what the enemy does not expect us to do. We divide our force and we attack!
We leave the home guard behind to organize supply! We detach the 2nd Brigade (1,200, Col. Sigel) and lead them to the eastern flank.
The rest advances to Gibson's mill, where we camp.

At 4:00 we start to advance, at 5:00 we attack. The main body assaults the hill, creates confusion and panic and drives the rebels back. Sigel's detachment does the same from the east. We meet at Sharps!

Important! Make sure that our soldiers wear something special, so that we can identify them easily.

2) Napoleonic!
We dig all through the night and build strong barricades and trenches south of E.B. Short.
Before the break of dawn we divide our army in three detachments:
A) Forth Brigade (2,400) advances to the eastern flank.
B) 3rd Brigade (1,116) advances against the hill
C) Rest (2,284) - 1st Brigade (884), 2nd Brigade (1,200), Homeguards (200) - stays in the trench.

With the first light of day, 3rd Brigade makes a mock attack. Then it withdraws. The rebels (knowing that they have superior numbers) will surely follow. 3rd Brigades withdraws to support the trenches. Here our soldiers (about 3,300) stops the assault of the rebels. They are enough to stop them for a while and to inflict high casualties. The rebels will throw more and more soldiers into the assault and leave the hills.
At this moment, 4th Brigade assaults the hills from the east. Suddenly the rebels find themselves between the trenches and the hills. Their attack collpases and they leave the battlefield in a wild flight.

Important! Make sure that there is enough ammo at the trenches. Our soldiers will have to kill many rebels.

Before I make my decision, I would like to hear your opinion!!!:7fortuneteller:

CountArach
07-12-2007, 10:48
our soldiers are better (most of them are German, if memory serves
I can't find any exact sources, but judging simply on the names of half of the commanders, yes a lot of them are. However, you should not be lulled into the idea that your men are really good. They are still very inexperienced. For most men, this is their first battle, however the same can be said for the Confederates. This will be a very hard battle to win.

EDIT: I have found a source, and it does indeed look like you have a fair few Germans in your ranks.

Xehh II
07-12-2007, 11:24
I might not be welcome here, but what are you supposed to do?
It looks interesting but if I'm too late, I understand.

CountArach
07-12-2007, 11:32
Everyone is welcome to this!

Simply select an option from each of the three decisions. Whichever one you think is the most logical thing to do in the situation. See Warluster's post for a good example.. Most people like to justify what their selections are and why, so that some good tactical discussion is created. The aim is to win the battle by picking the best selections continuously.

Xehh II
07-12-2007, 11:47
B
C
A any cavalry

I'm sorry I don't have time to explain I have to sleep.
But this is what I think(not that it matters).

CountArach
07-12-2007, 11:49
I just realised Warluster and Xehh, you are suggesting 3C, because that Cavalry is just a Regiment, not a Brigade. Brigades would be Siegel's Brigade, ie the 1200 men.

Franconicus
07-12-2007, 11:53
I have found a source, and it does indeed look like you have a fair few Germans in your ranks.

:book2: German Wiki says that the core of Lyon's troops were 3,000 new recruits from Missouri/St. Louis, which consisted mainly from 'Wide awakes' (?) and German Immigrants.

Marshal Murat
07-12-2007, 12:38
1. B
2. C
3. C

Reason for C on the last choice is that we are outnumbered. It would be deadly to break up our troops into separate forces (Custer anyone?)

Franconicus
07-12-2007, 12:56
Reason for C on the last choice is that we are outnumbered. It would be deadly to break up our troops into separate forces (Custer anyone?)

Lee did that all the time and so did Napoleon.

I think before we make the decisions, we should decide if we want to attack or stay defensive.

If we want to be offensive, we should think about apropriate tactics. I think surprise is the key.

If we decide to be defensive, most important thing is to find the right position.

We won't get anywhere, if we discuss the deployment. while some want to attack and others want to defend.

:surrender2: :charge:

Warmaster Horus
07-12-2007, 16:07
As for question two, would it be possible to mix options B and C?
How bad/stupid would it be to set up camp, prepare the pickets (option C) but still have a Brigade not rest as a defense?

Csargo
07-12-2007, 17:31
I think we should attack Rains.

CountArach
07-12-2007, 21:36
As for question two, would it be possible to mix options B and C?
How bad/stupid would it be to set up camp, prepare the pickets (option C) but still have a Brigade not rest as a defense?
Absolutely, this is possible.

Franconicus
07-13-2007, 07:24
Attack? :stupido2:
Defend? :stupido3:

Alright, let's defend!

Option A – Near the Farmhouse of E. B Sharp, on the North of the likely Battlefield
Deployment:
Our headquarter will be Sharps farm!
1st, 2nd and 3rd Brigade will deploy at the descent south of Sharp's farm. 1st west, 2nd center, 3rd east.
All brigades have to prepare a defensive position, trenches and all that stuff!

4th Brigade - Army Reserve helps to dig the trenches and deploys then at the farm.

Homeguard organizes supply. We need loads of ammo. Let them also prepare food, water and something where we can care about the wounded and stock the dead. During battle homeguard will be responsible for supplying the front and for getting the wounded and dead out of the way!

Option E-other: We should decide when to make cap and let our men rest. The expected sunrise is just after 0500 tomorrow. We have about 1 hour of daylight left.
They can rest as soon as the trenches are ready. Send a small cavalry detachment to Gibson's Mill. They can warn us, when the rebels approach.

Option C – We should stay together and send no one

The destination of the rebels is to die in front of our trenches!

Warluster
07-13-2007, 07:33
I reckon the famr will be good enough.

Just had to add this, might be spam, but when you say Sharps Farm I think Sharpes Farm from SHarpes Rifles. :P

Franconicus
07-13-2007, 09:14
A mistake from my recon platoon. It's a tragedy to work with unexperienced soldiers.

Now the battle will be called "Battle at Sharp's Farm". What a pitty!!
~:cheers:

King Kurt
07-13-2007, 12:31
I think Franc's broad approach is right - but I think he is going too far south. Sharp's farm puts us between the force on Bald Knob/ Bloody Hill and the rest of the rebels coming up from the south. We should camp to the east of Gibson's mill on the 2 hills covered with Ray's cornfield. This gives us height, a wood on each flank, at least some of the Rebels will have to cross the Creek to get to us and we dominate the road to Springfield.

We should rest the men, but we should be on our guard. We should set pickets, garrison Gibson's Mill as well as having forward pickets in the wood to the south of Ray's cornfield.

We should keep our troops together, but I think a diversion with some of our cavalry would be good. We should send the Kansas rangers and 1st US cavalry under Cpt. Wood to recon the wood between Gibson's mill and Bald Knob - they could skirmish with any pickets and generally stir things up, creating the impression of an attack from the north. This will keep the rebels up all night and misdirect them about our general position. Our cavalry should grab any opportunity - eg run off any horses, shot any gunners, spike any guns etc - but they should not get too involved. Our cavalry is meant to be OK, so they should be able to do this.

Rodion Romanovich
07-13-2007, 14:18
I agree, let's find the highest hill we can, with good protection from forests! After that, I think we should go for a plan of deception and defense.

Let's prepare multiple lines of trenches on the hill, and put some 2,000 soldiers in the trenches at the beginning of the battle. The rest should be hidden in the forests. When enough enemies become visible from the hill position, a carefully planned feigned panic act should be played out. Cannons should be turned around and moved up higher on the hill, and some 200 men should run back and forth through the trench systems in a chaotic but pre-arranged manner to make the whole force look even more disorganized and panic-struck. Hopefully this will draw the enemy into attacking the main position. When they do, the infantry in the forests can either strike from the forests, or be sent in to strengthen the trenches, depending on whether the enemy exposes their flank, or the trenches are in desperate need of reinforcement.

Additionally, we should prepare a second bait with our cavalry to make the deception even more convincing. About half of the cavalry could be sent away over very open terrain to make it look like they're on their way to fetch reinforcements, but due to the open terrain, the enemy will believe these reinforcements will be very far away. This, along with the panic playact, will make the enemy think we are weak and our only chance lies in delaying the enemy for long enough to bring reinforcements.

The cavalry commander should have free hands to act depending on the situation. If they are pursued they should of course try to shake off the pursuers as top priority. If they are not, they should wait until the battle has begun at the hill, then return. The cavalry commander should attack either enemy gun positions, infantry or cavalry depending on which enemy forces he considers most isolated and most useful to destroy.

King Kurt
07-13-2007, 14:57
We should not try to be too clever - this is early American Civil war, troops are eager, fragile and not well trained. Also digging deep trenches are a bit beyond our troops and equipment. We should prepare positions - tree trunk abbattis etc - but we are unlikely to make a copy of the Somme on the hill - especially as we only have over night and it would be more important to rest. Our troops - and theirs - have been marching here and there for several days.

Overall, we should keep things simple - tailor our moves to the calibre of our troops. The rebels are trying to march on Springfield - no doubt to seize the nuclear reactor:laugh4: - so as long as we dominate that road, they must attack us.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
07-13-2007, 15:43
very intersting!

Rodion Romanovich
07-13-2007, 19:07
no doubt to seize the nuclear reactor:laugh4:
You know, my knowledge of the civil war is so limited, that I could maybe even have fallen for that :wink:

Joking aside, I trust your advice more than my own, until I learn more about the period :2thumbsup:

However, I got the impression that we had a professional core within our army - enough to perform complex moves that only involve small numbers, whereas when the entire army is involved we can only make very simple moves.

CountArach
07-14-2007, 04:51
Some of your men are professional, yes, but the majority are fairly raw recruits. Later in the Civil War they would be able to do very complex moves, but as it is the things you can do are rather limited.

4 Hours left. The current winning decisions are:
Decision 1 - A (E.B Short's farm)
Decision 2 - C (Set up pickets, then rest)
Decision 3 - B (Send a regiment of cavalry)

BTW - I accidentally mistook Short for Sharp. Stupid similar names. Either way Sharp's farm is not an option for you guys, you would have to march through the enemy lines, not to mention marching for a fair bit into the night.

Tran
07-14-2007, 11:18
It's been more than 4 hours. Anyway, can I still cast my vote? Otherwise, just ignore :beam:

Nightfall is one hour off. We must decide where to make camp, or if we should attack the enemy soldiers around the hills to our south.
Option C – Do not strike camp, we shall seek a battle with the soldiers, under Brigadier General Rains in the hills to the South-West of Gibson’s Mill.

We should decide when to make cap and let our men rest. The expected sunrise is just after 0500 tomorrow. We have about 1 hour of daylight left.
Option C – Rest, but not before ensuring the area is secure and pickets are set up

We have the chance to send one of our Brigades around to flank the enemy. They will march to the East, and find a crossing. Our guides say they should arrive behind the expected enemy positions at about 0500.
Option B – We should detach a regiment or regiments to take this route (Specify which): Cavalry regiment (the most experienced one that is)

CountArach
07-14-2007, 22:47
Chapter 2 – Pre Battle Manoeuvres II
August 9th, 1861 – 2100 Hours

It is now 2100 Hours and some unexpected light rain has started to fall. This rain is expected to last for at least another hour. The temperature has dropped to a cool 65 Degrees Fahrenheit.

You decided to make camp a short way to your west, at E. B Short’s farm and, though your men took a little while to organise, they started to dig one main trench and a few smaller ones near it. Unfortunately, the rain has started to make it boggy and much of the work that was done earlier in the night has been ruined. Work has stalled now, to be continued once the rain stops, if you allow it

You have set up your pickets and have sent out scouts to keep an eye on General Rains. They have reported no movement; however there have been noticeably fewer pickets set up since the rain has started.

The Kansas Rangers and 1st U.S. Cavalry have been sent out to the ford to try to loop around the enemy as a distraction, and to hunt artillery if they have a chance. They are now outside your command, and any messengers that you wish to send them are not guaranteed to reach them.

Decision 1 – Shall we continue with the trenches?
Our trenches are starting to be bogged down, and some of the work has collapsed after turning into mud. The work can be replaced, but will waste more time that our men could spend resting.
Option A – Continue with the trenches, even through the rain.
Option B – Stop work on the trenches altogether, start another plan.
Option C – Leave the trenches and return to them after the rain has stopped.
Option D – Other.

Decision 2 – Our Pickets?
Some of our pickets are complaining about the rain and have not reported seeing anyone so far.
Option A – They are fine, leave them there.
Option B – Recall the pickets
Option C – Send out more pickets
Option D - Other

Decision 3 – Rain’s Pickets?
Rain has noticeably fewer pickets than before, probably due to the weather. What do we do about this potential opportunity?
Option A – Attack (Specify with what forces)
Option B – Leave him as he is.
Option C – Other

You will have close to 60 hours to debate this one, because school starts again in that time, so I will have to close this later in the day. Also, anyone who is voting please be specific as to what you are voting for. This means state specifically if you are choosing A, B, C, etc. Thanks.

Tran
07-15-2007, 02:04
The questions are kinda confusing for a while but then I realized you mean two different "rains", the normal "rain" and "General Rain" :laugh4:

Anyway, my choices:
Option C – Leave the trenches and return to them after the rain has stopped.

Option A – They are fine, leave them there.

Option B – Leave him as he is. (could be a trap, but keep the eyes on them)

Rodion Romanovich
07-15-2007, 15:20
1C
2A/B, decrease a bit but not completely
3A/B only attack if we can find a very isolated enemy group in the open, and attack with the cavalry. Otherwise, leave it. That probably means leave it completely, as the enemy would only leave an isolated group in the open by mistake :wink:

Lord Winter
07-15-2007, 20:30
Attack an organized infantry body with calvery in the cival war is Suciadal. As Getteysburg showed the best use of calvery is scouting and screening for the main army. Not making wild charges or trying to inderdict supplies.

1. C. leave them but prepare to fight a delaying action with the 1st and fourth birgade while the 2nd and third strike at Rains.

2. A. there fine, leting down our guard is one of the largest mistakes made in the ACW.

3. A, attack now that their off guard with the 2nd and third birgade. With these forces we will outnumber him almost two to one and have the factor of surprise.

Xehh II
07-16-2007, 07:37
1. A

2. B

3. B

I'm sorry, I don't say why I do things.

Warluster
07-16-2007, 07:52
lol,
C
A
B

Same reasons as Tran.

Franconicus
07-16-2007, 08:59

Option A – Continue with the trenches, even through the rain.

Trenches are key to our victory! We need them as good as possible. However, we could start to fell trees to build defilates. They would stand the water.

Kurt is right, of course. We should keep it as simple but effective as possible. Maybe we could use waggons, barrels or anything else to improve our defilate.

Do not forget to ship enough amo and food. Rain may slow it down, but we will need a lot of powder!!

Mud may be a good thing, as it will slow down the rebel cav.!

Option B – Recall the pickets

The rebels won't attack at night! They will wait for the daylight and the rain to end. We have to use this time to improve our defense. So build barricades, chop trees, stock supply, prepare kitchens for warm meals, casualties station etc. Also let the soldiers ret for some time.

Option B – Leave him as he is.

Now it is time to dig and to rest. Then we will defend the trench, finally we will chase the fleeing enemy. No time to hurry. No reason for distraction!!

P.S.: Do not use the cavalry for any skirmish combat. We almost have none. We must safe them for more important things: recon, protection of our flanks, counterstrikes. So call them back and make them rest. Some small patrols are sufficient!!

King Kurt
07-16-2007, 13:27

Option D – Other. - We should make best use of what we have achieved and look to supplement it with chopped down trees . However, we should aim to finish by midnight to ensure we have some rest before tomorrow - CA - what time is dawn?

Some of our pickets are complaining about the rain and have not reported seeing anyone so far.
Option A – They are fine, leave them there. - They might complain, but we must keep tabs on the Rebels. We should attempt to get hot food to them and aim to replace them 2 hours before dawn to ensure they can get some rest and we have fresh pickets when the likely attack will occur.

Rain has noticeably fewer pickets than before, probably due to the weather. What do we do about this potential opportunity?

Option B – Leave him as he is. - The smaller number of pickets might present an opportunity for our cavalry though.

Other - we should send word to our cavalry to be back in camp by 1 o'clock - we do not want them and their horses overtired for tomorrow.

Marshal Murat
07-16-2007, 15:43
C - Wait for the rain to stop. Cut down trees for fence/trench.

2. A
3. B
You are going to attack a Rebel cavalry force, in the rain, through the dark, with green troops? Did I hear you correctly?
1st- Troops will get lost, disorganized, demoralized, and probably get the powder wet. These aren't men who have any experience marching in formation, let alone doing it in the dark.
2nd- Less pickets doesn't mean that the formation will go unnoticed. If you plan on moving in and attacking the rebel cavalry, then you are aching for a nasty, dark, rainy, muddy battle.

I support Franc. This is the Civil War. Napoleonic tactics (massed infantry formations) is suicidal. Gettysburg, Fredericksburg, Cold Harbor. If you want to out-flank someone, you need to have men trained to march around the enemies flank. To think that these somewhat trained immigrants with guns can perform something the trained and veteran Army of Northern Virginia could do is not a wise decision.

Set up the troops, build defenses. Get supplies. Ask for more troops from St. Louis and Cairo. If your force is smaller, your can do something like Leuthen, an oblique approach. However, the Kansas Rangers need to establish the rebel positions so that your troops can defeat them.

shlin28
07-16-2007, 16:35
1C
2A (We need forward warnings of attacks!)
2B (Could be trap, and our men won't perform well in the rain either.)

CountArach
07-17-2007, 06:28
Chapter 3 – Pre Battle Manoeuvres
August 10th, 1861 – Midnight (5 Hours until Dawn)

Not a great deal has occurred since 2100; however the rain stopped at approximately 2200. The men continued building digging the trenches after that time and they started putting in place some Wagons and the few scattered trees from around here. They also ransacked part of Short’s farmhouse for wood. However, Short left many hours ago and was not there to protest. The constructions are expected to be finished within the hour. At that point there will be another half hour of preparing the trench for use. After this, the men can retire.

You have sent off for more supplies, but it is unlikely that they will be forthcoming, at least not for a few days. The pickets that you sent out earlier remained out there, with food being brought to them. They will be rotated for other guards at 0200. They are not reporting any unusual activity.

You decided to leave General Rain’s forces alone when his pickets were recalled during the rain. Those scouts who you have left out are reporting that his pickets still haven’t come back out and that all remains silent in there.

Decision 1 – The Constructions
The constructions are nearing completion, with an hour and a half remaining until all of the work is done. It is possible for only one of the Brigades to continue work and provide the pickets, while the other ones go to sleep.
Option A – All men should continue the work. This will result in it being completed in an hour and a half.
Option B – Sturgis’ First Brigade can continue the work alone (534 Men). This will result in it being completed in three hours.
Option C – Sigel’s Second Brigade can continue the work alone (1200 Men). This will result in it being completed in two and a half hours.
Option D – Andrews’ Third Brigade can continue the work alone (1116 Men). This will result in it being completed in two and a half hours.
Option E – Deitzler’s Fourth Brigade can continue the work alone (2400 Men). This will result in it being completed in two hours.

Decision 2 – Command Centre
For the battle to come you will need to have a Command Centre, where all orders you give will be sent from. Where should this be?
Option A – Short’s Farm
Option B – North of the Farm
Option C – Dig another trench for them
Option D – Other

Decision 2 – Hospital
All Civil War armies needed a Hospital on the field. Where should this be?
Option A – Short’s Farm
Option B – North of the Farm
Option C – Dig another trench for them
Option D – Other

Franconicus
07-17-2007, 07:27
:book: Excellent chapter, good progress.

Decision 1 – The Constructions
The constructions are nearing completion, with an hour and a half remaining until all of the work is done. It is possible for only one of the Brigades to continue work and provide the pickets, while the other ones go to sleep.
Option E – Deitzler’s Fourth Brigade can continue the work alone (2400 Men). This will result in it being completed in two hours.
During battle 4th Brigade will be the reserve. They can rest during day. Let the other brigades sleep!

Decision 2 – Command Centre
For the battle to come you will need to have a Command Centre, where all orders you give will be sent from. Where should this be?

If I read the map right, then the farm is at the slope on the northern side of the hill. Then the enemy won't be able to watch it or to shell it. If this is right, then the headquarter has to be there. If not, locate the headquarter 200 meters aside and mask it!

Decision 2 – Hospital
All Civil War armies needed a Hospital on the field. Where should this be?

If I read the map right, then the farm is at the slope on the northern side of the hill. Then the enemy won't be able to watch it or to shell it. If this is right, then the headquarter has to be there. If not, locate the hospital several hundred meters north of the farm (at the road!)

CountArach
07-17-2007, 07:34
If I read the map right, then the farm is at the slope on the northern side of the hill.
No, it is on the very south of the Northern-most hill of the map.

Also, do I understand right in that you want to Hospital with the Command Centre?

Xehh II
07-17-2007, 07:54
A A A

Franconicus
07-17-2007, 08:13
You are right!

Place the HQ somewhere on the hill, where it
1) can be masked
2)can watch the battle
3) reached by messangers

Place the hospital behind the farm at the road.

Here a sketch of my deployment proposal:

https://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3586/prsentation1kg4.jpg

King Kurt
07-17-2007, 14:20
The more I look at it, The less I like our position - we are deployed in the middle of a wood with some height advantage but we don't have fields of fire. Also the Rebels do not have to attack us - we do not dominate the road to Springfield for example. The position to the SW of Gibson's mill was much better.
However, making the best of a bad position, I think all should build defences so then all can sleep so A All our forces will be needed from daylight, so the reserve is likely to be our cavalry as opposed to an infantry brigade.
As for HQ and Hospital, I go along with Franc.

Franconicus
07-17-2007, 14:33
Don't worry. They will attack us! They cannot afford to have us in their back!

In the wood may not be ideal. But it will delete the advantage of the rebel cavalry. If I see right, there is not that much trees in front of us. More at the flanks. Furthermore we are behind a creek and uphill.

Csargo
07-18-2007, 00:25
1. E Franconicus is right. The 4th battalion is the reserves they can rest during the day.

2 & 3-Franconicus's map.

Lord Winter
07-18-2007, 01:52
1. D I like a little smaller birade as our reserve so we can have more man up fornt in the line of battle
2 and three, I'll go with franc here

CountArach
07-18-2007, 05:55
As to the brush/scrub infront of you.

Your men chopped down many of the trees here for the woods. There is still some low-lying shrubbery, but still fairly decent line of sight.

And thanks for the map Franc, that helps.

Franconicus
07-18-2007, 09:00
I think that the 4th Brigade is ideal for reserve. First of all, it is our strongest brigade. They can repel any break through and counter any flankng maneuvre. Second, they do not have artillery or cavalry. So we can deploy all our guns.

The battle will last a while, so it will be good to have a strong reserve so we can replace tired companies.

CA, I really enjoy this story; esp. the high speed!!
By the way, I see the ratio about cavalry, but I do not understand the ratio regarding artillery. Can you help? How many guns do we have? What size!

I red an article, stating that the rebels are low in ammo. What about us. How many rounds can we shell?

CountArach
07-18-2007, 09:44
CA, I really enjoy this story; esp. the high speed!!
My pleasure :bow:

By the way, I see the ratio about cavalry, but I do not understand the ratio regarding artillery. Can you help? How many guns do we have? What size!
That is in the Order of Battle.

The size of teh guns are fairly small. Most of the weapons on the field for both sides are obsolete Mexican War left overs. You have none of the 12lb that became the bread and butter of later Civil War armies.

I red an article, stating that the rebels are low in ammo. What about us. How many rounds can we shell?
Both sides at this poitn have enough ammo to last for *most* of a battle. The Historic battle lasted about 5 solid hours of fighting once you take out the breaks. Both sides were fairly short on ammo at that point.

The Artillery was firing all battle, so you can shell plenty of times.

Tran
07-18-2007, 09:52
Whatever Franc choices this turn, I'll follow him (same choices). His reasonings look convincing.

Also, I do enjoy short story interactive. :2thumbsup: Looking forward the battle phase.

Franconicus
07-18-2007, 10:08
... That is in the Order of Battle...

From the OoB:

Battery F, 2nd U.S. Artillery – 84, 6 Guns
Capt Totten

What does 84, 6 guns mean? Err, I think I understand now. That means 84 men with 6 cannons, right.

looking into detail, both sides have 15 cannons. If I understand right, two of our batteries are regular, while the rebels are new. This, plus the better position, should give us some advantage in artillery,

Cavalry:
We have 675 horse soldiers, including 200 homeguards and 125 dragoons (I think these are mounted infantry!). The core are 350 cavalrists!!

The rebels have 1,370 plus 1,800 mounted infantry. If they try a frontal assault (which is quite propable for unexperienced soldiers) we can defeat them.

More dangerous would be, if they use their cavalry, esp. the mounted infantry to bypass our flank. I think the eastern side is more exposed.

We can repel this threat with our 4. Brigade reserve, if we can deploy it in time.

This is my proposal for the battle:
Use the core cavalry (350 raiders) to patrol at our flanks. We must know immediately what is going on there.
Use the dragoons as mobile infantry to reenforce the position, esp. the flanks, when needed.
Use the home guard as shock cavalry, in case our infantry or artillery gets in trouble and has to be bailed out.

What worries me most is that our best cavalry (350 men) is out in the night. The enemy has 4 times as many horses and he will have patrols out there. If he manages to catch our cavalry, he will be able to overwhelm them. There is nothing we can do to help them. Loosing them would be a relapsing. I would rather have them back! We need them to patrol at our flanks.

Lord Winter
07-18-2007, 20:54
I agree with Francs assesment of our calvery except for using the homeguard as shockcalvery which is almost the equviclent of trying to use calvery in WWI. better to also have them on the flannks or posed to raid the artillary if we get the chance.

CountArach
07-19-2007, 08:29
Chapter 4 – Nearing Dawn
August 10th, 1861 – 0400 (1 Hour until Dawn)

The trenches and barricades are now completed. They cover the front of the trenches fairly completed. All of the Brigades have now had 4 hours worth of sleep, except for Deizler’s Fourth Brigade, which finished the trenches at about 0200. They are also providing most of the pickets at the point, due to them being able to sleep during the day.

The moon has set, so your scouts are reporting less and less, most of them having turned in for the night, however all seems quiet in General Rain’s camp. There have been very few reports of scouts. It would seem that they have not yet been sent out since the poor weather.

The Hospital and the command centre were set up behind the Farmhouse. You have a fairly good level of visibility from where you currently are. Both your position and that of the Hospital have had several branches cut down and placed in front of them in order to disguise them and hide them from the enemy’s position.

There is one Hour until Dawn. You must decide what to do:

Decision 1 – When to Wake the Men?
It is now about one hour until dawn. The men have slept for the last four hours; however it is likely that they may need more after their exertions in the late afternoon.
Option A – Wake the men now, except the Fourth Brigade.
Option B – Leave the men to sleep until Dawn, except the Fourth Brigade.
Option C – Wake two of the Brigades (Specify which)
Option C – Select another time.

Decision 2 – An Early Strike?
General Rain’s pickets and scouts appear to have turned in for the night. This would be a good opportunity to launch an early strike to try to get control of the high ground.
Option A – Attack with all the men who are awake
Option B – Attack with half of the men who are woken.
Option C – Leave him alone
Option D – Other

Decision 3 – Scouts
Now that dawn is approaching, you should decide where you want the majority of the scouting centred around. This will be crucial for the information you receive during the battle.
Option A – Gibson’s Mill
Option B – Bloody Hill
Option C – Edward’s Farmhouse
Option D – Sharp’s Farmhouse
Option E – Other

Franconicus
07-19-2007, 09:42
:coffeenews:
Bloody Hill is where Reins Camp is, right?
Where is Edward's farmhouse?

CountArach
07-19-2007, 09:45
http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/Knapp/images/img32.gif

This map is good for these things.

Bloody Hill is where General Rain is.
Edward's farm is just to its South-East.

Franconicus
07-19-2007, 10:51
This is the dawn of the battle, so let's think a moment about the plans of the rebels.

Their army - or let it call a pack of bandids - has two parts: the Wetsern Army of McCullock (10,000) and the Missouri State Guard of Price (5,000).

McCullock is a Texas Ranger with some experience regarding artillery.
Price seems to be a political general. His guard is not very reliable.

The war is still young and everybody expects that it won't take long. I bet both rebel commanders are crazy to get a victory before it is over.

The rebels have superior numbers and they know that if they defeat the union now, they can get control of this state, which may lead to the victory of the rebels.

Therefore I bet they will attack us. But how?

option 1)
They will try a frontal assault. Due to their superior number and the unexperience of the soldiers and commanders this is most liekly. I think we can give them a warm welcome. Propably they will attack shortly after dawn.

option 2) they use the night to deploy their artillery. Then they attack with artillery support. They have to bring the guns through the wood. This will delay the attack.

option 3) They start a flanking maneuvre. If I were them, I would lead my mounted infantry to the east and attack across the creek while my cavalry attacks at the western flank.

Most probably they will do a combination of 1-3. They will start with an assault, which we will repel. Then they will deploy the cannons and shell our trench. Then they assault with fresh troops. Finally the understand that they cannot break through and try to bypass us.

So what do we have to do to defeat tehm in any case?

It is now about one hour until dawn. The men have slept for the last four hours; however it is likely that they may need more after their exertions in the late afternoon.
Let them deploy in the trench. They may sleep there, only the pickets have to wake.

General Rain’s pickets and scouts appear to have turned in for the night. This would be a good opportunity to launch an early strike to try to get control of the high ground.

We did not dig all night long to leave the trench now, did we?

Decision 3 – Scouts
Now that dawn is approaching, you should decide where you want the majority of the scouting centred around. This will be crucial for the information you receive during the battle.

Option E – Other
- send patrols to Gibson's mill but also have pickets and patrols on the eastern side of the creek.

- have patrols at the western side, too. We cannot allow any rebels to bypass our positions unnoticed!

Only use first class cavalry for these jobs (no home guard, no dragoons!).
Tell them to avoid any combat.

King Kurt
07-19-2007, 11:35
I would agree with the analysis of Franc and agree with his choices.
My only concern is - will they attack? They may try to out manouvre us, but the inexperience of their troops and commanders count against them trying to do anything fancy.

CountArach
07-21-2007, 08:53
Two replies aren't really anough. I will extend this by 24 hours.

seireikhaan
07-21-2007, 20:00
Hmm, just started paying attention to this. I think Franc is dead on here, as well. I think that they will most likely attempt a frontal assault, as none of the rebel commanders are of the level of Lee or Jackson, in addition to the fact that numerical superiority has a tendency to give a person a certain degree of arrogance. I'm pretty much in agreement with his choices.

CountArach
07-22-2007, 06:56
24 more hours I guess.

Warluster
07-22-2007, 08:16
B

D - We run in, strike. If succesful continue destroying. If not, we run back, fighting, to the trenches.

For 3, are they numbered, I say, uh, all of 'em.

Tran
07-22-2007, 08:22
Let them deploy in the trench. They may sleep there, only the pickets have to wake.

We did not dig all night long to leave the trench now, did we?

Decision 3 – Scouts

Option E – Other
- send patrols to Gibson's mill but also have pickets and patrols on the eastern side of the creek.

- have patrols at the western side, too. We cannot allow any rebels to bypass our positions unnoticed!

Only use first class cavalry for these jobs (no home guard, no dragoons!).
Tell them to avoid any combat.
:yes:

Gurkhal
07-22-2007, 08:47
1. A. I agree with the one who previously stated that the troops could sleep on in the trenches. It's fully possible that the Confederates have treid to lure us into relaxing by the removal of pickets and scouts, and make a suprise attack before, or just at dawn. We should be ready for the possibility.

2. C. There are more of them than us, and they have more cavallery. If an attack fails, we're as good as gone. I doubt that with the enemy cavallery superiority, we would be able to really retreat in good order to the trench. Also count our troops inexperience which might turn it into a full rout. Not to mention that there are more of them than of us to begin with. Lets wait for them to come to us insteed.

3. E. I'll throw in my vote with Tran and Franconicus.

CountArach
07-23-2007, 11:19
Sorry guys, busy day. I will get it up tomorrow.

Franconicus
07-23-2007, 15:10
~;)
Looks like we have the right strategy. CA (Confederate Army) does not know what to do.~:cheers:

CountArach
07-24-2007, 09:02
Chapter 5 – Dawn's First Light
August 10th, 1861 – 0502 – Dawn

You decided to wake the men an hour before dawn, with the thought that they would then be able to sleep in the trenches. However, many of the commanders are saying that their men are restless and they are nervous about the coming battle. Many of them have never seen a battle before. However, it is too late to do anything about that.

Dawn has come and it reveals some interesting things. During the night about 900 men have moved up to take a position on Rain’s left. This means that there are now about 3400 men on Bloody Hill. They seem to have only a few cannons. These have started to unlimber and will likely open fire within the next hour.

It also reveals the whereabouts of the cavalry you sent out last night. They are exactly where they were told they would be led to. They are at the town of Dixon. They appear to be holding until they can take stock of the situation. Any orders you wish to send are unlikely to reach them for another couple of hours.

You have sent out your cavalry to Gibson’s Mill, as well as a few men to observe your flanks. They will report throughout the day. You can expect your first report very soon.

Now that the day of the Battle has arrived, you must decide specifically where you want your Brigades. The Fourth will stay in reserve until they receive further orders.

There is one Hour until Dawn. You must decide what to do:

NOTE: I was going to give you maps, but I thought that it would make it more interesting if you only had your commanders’ reports to go by. Good luck :wink: Another thing is that the Confederates only have 10000 men total, when both their armies are included.

Decision 1 – Artillery Batteries
Your batteries are behind your lines and have started to unlimber. You must decide what target to shoot at for the moment. This can be reassessed later.
Option A – Target Infantry that is on the Hill
Option B – Target the Artillery on the Hill.
Option C – Target the Cavalry on the Hill.
Option D – Do not fire; wait until you can see some other targets.
Option E – Other

Decision 2 – Cavalry commands
Your cavalry regiment, the Rangers, have arrived at the town of Dixon and are currently idling there. You can send them a message if you wish
Option A – Order them to hold
Option B – Order them to attack
Option C – Order them to attack lone artillery
Option D – Do not send a message
Option E – Other

Decision 3 – Deploying your Brigades
You must decide exactly how you wish for your Brigades to be deployed. Currently it is set up with Sigel’s Second Brigade in the centre, Sturgis’ First Brigade on his left and Andrews’ Third Brigade on his right. Sigel’s Fourth Brigade is in reserve.
Option A – Leave it as is
Option B – Other

Decision 4 – A Rousing Speech
You can give your men a speech this morning. This is a free task. I am going to allow anyone who wants to write this speech. If you don’t want to, don’t worry.

King Kurt
07-24-2007, 12:03
Your batteries are behind your lines and have started to unlimber. You must decide what target to shoot at for the moment. This can be reassessed later.

On the assumption that we have a good supply of ammo - as per earlier in the thread - we should open fire on the target to give us best effect. Counter battery fire was never very successful and cavalry, although a tempting target, can easily move out of the line of fire. Infantry win battles, so let's start wearing them down, It will also possibly provoke them into action and a rash attack.
Your cavalry regiment, the Rangers, have arrived at the town of Dixon and are currently idling there. You can send them a message if you wish
E - We have to be a little careful here. Dixon is to the south and the Rangers are probably to the rear of the other part of the rebel army. they should be ordered to move up the eastern banks of Wilson's Creek and to skirmish with any rebel forces they find. Their role is to distract and hinder and possibly to pull some forces away from the main fight.
You must decide exactly how you wish for your Brigades to be deployed. Currently it is set up with Sigel’s Second Brigade in the centre, Sturgis’ First Brigade on his left and Andrews’ Third Brigade on his right. Sigel’s Fourth Brigade is in reserve.
Option A – Leave it as is - this puts a regular regiment on both flanks, so helping solidify our position.

You can give your men a speech this morning. This is a free task. I am going to allow anyone who wants to write this speech. If you don’t want to, don’t worry.
I'm not sure how effective rousing speeches before battle were in the Civil War - it was the short speeches during battle which were most effective - but I might have a crack at writing something

Franconicus
07-24-2007, 12:27

Our cannons haven't taken their positions during night. :no:
I hope their position are at least fortified!
It is still dawn. Peppering the hill (which is covered with trees) will not be very effective. Let's wait until the rebels attack. Then we can concentrate our fire. I think there will be a mixed bulk of infantry and cavalry. This will be the right target! Let the men rest or prepare their position, if they haven't done so!

Tricky. It looks like we outmaneuvred our cavalry. We need them back home to cover our flanks. Right now the enemy has loads of cavalry and we have almost none. However, will they make it back and will they make it back in time?
I am not sure what to say. Maybe somebody else has a good idea. If I had to give an order, I would tell them to attack the next best rebel unit to distract as much cavalry from the north and the march around the eastern flank and come back home.

Does that mean: 1st west, 2nd center, 3rd east. Then it is fine!

You can give your men a speech this morning. This is a free task. I am going to allow anyone who wants to write this speech. If you don’t want to, don’t worry.[/QUOTE]

For the German soldiers Major Osterhaus is the right person to make a speech. He did that in 'real life' and was named after that speech!!
For the English, I guess King Kurt will do it fine.

Don Corleone
07-24-2007, 14:42
If it's not too late to join in and add my two cents (yes, I've read through the entire history).....

-Question 1: Artillery targeting.
Why? Our men have just spent most of the night digging trenches in wet, mucky earth. They're tired and they're scared. We're asking them to hold a defensive position against a numerically superior enemy. Once the rebel guns start firing on them, morale will plummet. We need to duel the opposing guns to silence them. We have equal positioning advantage (our artillery and theirs are both on high ground). We have roughly equal numbers of guns. However, our artillery crews are much more experienced than theirs are. If we engage in an artillery duel, we can probably win it and silence their guns, helping to maintain the precious morale of the men in the trenches. Save our grapeshot (the anti-infantry rounds) for when Rains begins to advance.

-Question 2: Franconious, the bulk of our cavalry is in Dixon, but we do have a couple of regiments anchoring our flank along the stream. Not that I think Rains is dumb enough to try to cross that stream and scale the hillside under fire. Meanwhile, Rains will be sending for artillery reinforcements. The cavalry can pick them off as they come up. I say Option C. The bulk of the cavalry down at the mill should seek to pick off artillery reinforcements coming up and we should hold off on any decisive action with them until they begin issuing reports.

Now, the big question 3, deployments...
I think we're preparing for a frontal assault, and that makes sense, that's probably what we're going to face this morning. That means the center unit will bear the brunt of the assault. This disqualifies Sigel from holding the center. He's the only brigade that is comprised entirely of recruits. Sturgis (1st brigade) and Andrews (3rd brigade) both have a regiment of professionals (the 1st US infantry & the 2nd US infantry, respectively). Of the two, Andrews has the larger force by far. He should hold the center. Sigel should hold our right flank (West, away from stream) and Sturgis should hold our left flank (East, towards the stream). The idea here is simple. When they lead their frontal assault, it will be a test of morale. They're definitely going to lose on numbers alone. The question is whether our boys have the stones to sit tight in their trenches and keep shooting when 3000 men come marching at them. We don't want the recruits holding that job.

In short, the center of the line has to hold. Option B: Other. Otherwise, our left flank will be caught between the advancing army and the stream. We must put our best troops there. Andrews (3rd) in the center. Sturgis (1st) on our left (East) flank, with the 1st US infantry abutting Andrews men and the 2nd MO infantry covering the hillside leading down to the creek.

In case anybody's interested, here's our reduced OOB, now that we've detached our cavalry and artillery.

-1st Brigade (Sturgis) 450 men total.
- 1st US infantry (300 men)
-2nd Missouri Infantry (150 men).

-2nd Brigade (Sigel) 990 men
-3rd and 5th Missouri (990 men).

-3rd Brigade (Andrews) 1050 men
-2nd US infantry 275 men
-1st Missouri Infantry 775 men

-4th Brigade (Deitzler) 2400 men (Reserve)
-1st Iowa 800 men
-1st Kansas 800 men
-2nd Kansas 600 men
- Home guards (200 men) detached: guard duty on hospital and HQ.

Does anybody else see what I'm getting at? We've placed 1/2 our men in reserve! Is it possible to switch Deitzler and Sigel's brigades? At the very least, could we detach a regiment out of Deitzler's brigade and assign it to Sigel?

Don Corleone
07-24-2007, 14:52
Assuming we can't detach and reassign Deitzler's regiments, here's what I propose (sorry, no time to edit the battlefield map).

I'm going to position in two lines, first by brigade, then by regiment...

2nd Sigel <---> 3rd Andrews <---> 1st Sturgis

3rd/5th MO <---> 2nd US <---> 1stMO <---> 1st US <---> 2nd MO

(Sigel deployed obliquey, to guard our right flank)

Notice how the 1st MO is anchored on both sides by a veteran regiment. The relatively small 2nd MO will defend the stream ford. I said the 3rd/5th should be deployed obliquely, but in reality, they should probably form a crescent, guarding the entire western hillside.

I really hope we can detach a regiment from Deitzler. It would definitely help!

Franconicus
07-24-2007, 15:16
Well Don, you are right regarding the frontal assault. This is what we have to expect. However, it is not sure, that the rebels will do it. They could also try to flank our line. Then we have to have a strong reserve.

I doubt that the rebels will do the first assault with more than 2,000 men. Our front line together with the artillery is strong enough to give them a bloody welcome. I doubt that the rebel cannons can do much damage beside moral.

Once we repelled the first rebel assault, I think this will boost our moral. Depending on casualties we can deploy our reserve then.

King Kurt
07-24-2007, 15:20
Don Corleone
At the risk of waking up tomorrow with a horse's head, can I question a couple of your choices?
Why target the artillery? - counterbattery fire in the Civil war was never very effective, so why not fire at the infantry. They are not in trenches so will suffer accordingly - case shot or solid shot will inflict casualties and might provoke them into an attack - we are outnumbered, but the rebels have to concentrate their forces, so they will have to sit under fire until the others arrive. That could provoke an impetuious attack.
While I understand your thinking re the regulars being in the centre to bear the brunt of any attack, I feel that they would be better served by being on the wings, ensuring our flanks hold. The centre also has the benefit of a reserve behind them, so I would think Sigel's brigade would be quite sound there.

Don Corleone
07-24-2007, 15:32
Don Corleone
At the risk of waking up tomorrow with a horse's head, can I question a couple of your choices?
Why target the artillery? - counterbattery fire in the Civil war was never very effective, so why not fire at the infantry. They are not in trenches so will suffer accordingly - case shot or solid shot will inflict casualties and might provoke them into an attack - we are outnumbered, but the rebels have to concentrate their forces, so they will have to sit under fire until the others arrive. That could provoke an impetuious attack.
While I understand your thinking re the regulars being in the centre to bear the brunt of any attack, I feel that they would be better served by being on the wings, ensuring our flanks hold. The centre also has the benefit of a reserve behind them, so I would think Sigel's brigade would be quite sound there.

Hee hee, no problems King Kurt. Question away.

My rationale behind the artillery duel is mainly around morale. We may not take out too many of their guns, but at the very least, they'll be forced to respond, sparing our infantry from being targeted. I can't imagine their inexperienced artillery crews will sit there with shells dropping around them, calculatingly firing on our infantry. We may not actually destroy many of their guns, but we may actually cause their artillery to rout.

Besides, grape shot and other anti-personnel fire is only good to about 200 yards. I'm sure they encamped outside our range. I agree once their infantry advances within range we should change targets, but right now, firing at their infantry will not get us much bang for our buck.

You do raise a good point about whoever our center brigade is having the reserves at their back. Perhaps the 2 of you are correct. I just don't think you can overcompensate for rookie-fear in a battle. What's more, isn't there a long stretch between where our line turns northwest and that set of woods up there? Will Andrews be stretched thin trying to hold that much ground?

And truth be told, I've always assumed that reserves were supposed to be 1/4th to 1/3rd of your available infantry, depending on how conservative you are as a commander, but I may be wrong on that. Is 1/2 a more appropriate value?

Franconicus
07-24-2007, 21:15
I wonder if our artillery can do any harm on this distance as long as the rebels are stretched and somewhere behind the trees.

However, I even doubt more that the rebel cannon balls can do much harm to our men. Moral is an issue, but that early in the war enthusiasm is still high. These men were high motivated, had professionals at their sides and quite good commanders. All they had to do is sit behing the barricades and fire. Do not forget that the rebels have to corss open field, even a creek under fire, This will be much harder.

I say spare the balls. We cannot do much harm now. If we stay quiet, the rebels will underrate us even more. The effect of the bombardment - once the assault - will be much higher.

The front is quite small. I do not think they can deploy all their men. They will attack one division after the other. The more at a time, the better!

Don Corleone
07-24-2007, 23:21
I agree Franconius. Let's wait on initiating our own artillery barrage. We can always answer in the next round after they've started firing. Saving powder for concentrated fire on their infantry after they've begun to advance may be the wisest position for now. Can we agree that if any shelling on their part starts to unnerve our troops, we return fire and try to silence their batteries?

Csargo
07-24-2007, 23:54
Option E – Other

Option A – Order them to hold
Option B – Order them to attack
Option D – Do not send a message
Option E – Other

Option B – Other

Decision 2 I'm undecided on. It would be easier if I had a map of the deployment. But this will have to do for now.

CA I have a question. It says Battles of the Civil War is that to say we are going to be fighting other battles that were during the Civil War or will we be staying with this one army the entire interactive?

CountArach
07-25-2007, 05:38
CA I have a question. It says Battles of the Civil War is that to say we are going to be fighting other battles that were during the Civil War or will we be staying with this one army the entire interactive?
I'm unsure. I'm tossing up whether to leave you with this army, or to move you from army to army. Either way I think I will make it that you can watch the Civil War subtely change after the Battles. There will be more battles in the future though, that is for sure.

Csargo
07-25-2007, 05:39
IMHO I think we should move from army to army, but it's your interactive.

CountArach
07-25-2007, 05:41
That is what I am more leaning towards.

Oh and welcome Don Corleone, anyone is free to come and go as they please

Tran
07-25-2007, 06:01
That is what I am more leaning towards.
Does that mean the outcome of this battle might not effect the other/future battles?

Anyway, my choices:

I'll leave that to the master of propaganda...

CountArach
07-25-2007, 06:05
Does that mean the outcome of this battle might not effect the other/future battles?
It will.

Gurkhal
07-25-2007, 09:53

A. The infantry are the key to the battle, and I think it's easier to hit them as well. Blast away at infantry.

C. I don't have any really good ideas, but perhaps they might get luck and take a cannon or two our of action. I can't however say that I like this when the enemy have so much more cavallery than us.

A. Leave them as they are, we don't need more confussion or problem with a hasty re-orginazing of the troops this short before battle.

King Kurt
07-25-2007, 10:53
As rashly promised - a stirring speech - used an excuse to write some purple prose!!

Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon awoke just before dawn. Pulling on his blue serge coat he emerged from his tent to be greeted by the pleasant aroma of brewing coffee. Pausing only to dip his cup in the billy can which served as a makeshift coffeepot, he strode through the lines of troops mostly still asleep in the hastily built defences that had been prepared during the night. He afforded himself a brief smile, his men had done well. To his professional military eye, these trenches would serve his men well during the day. They needed all the help they could get. The reports estimated the rebel forces as twice his with a significant advantage in cavalry. But the fate of Missouri was in his hands.

As he walked down the front face of the hill, briefly pausing to swig the bitter coffee, the first weak shafts of the dawn sunshine broke across the valley. A mist hung over Wilson’s Creek, suggesting a hint of foreboding amongst the beauty of a summer’s morning. On the opposite hill, the embers of camp fires, the smell of cooking food and the background noises of a military camp waking up betrayed the position of the rebels. Soon the peace and quiet of this blissful scene would be shattered by the turmoil and chaos of war – a civil war, brother vs, brother. Nathaniel stroked his beard as he contemplated the events to come, his resolve grew in his chest - his cause was just, their day had come. His train of thought was broken by the chatter of the men nearby. An older man was reassuring a youngster about the battle to come. Nathaniel looked closer at the men around him, they looked nervous, but determined – a pride was bubbling up inside them but fear of the unknown was not far away. He realised their lives were in his hands – it was up to him to ignite the flame in them that already burnt in him.

Looking around, he noticed a small tree stump roughly in the middle of his positions. He strode over to it and jumped up. His strong voice, still tinted with his Connecticut accent, boomed over his troops as he addressed them.

“Men of the Union Army of the West, my fellow Missourians and our friends from Iowa and Kansas, today we meet our day of destiny. Today we meet the rebels on the field of battle to ensure that the State of Missouri stays within the Union and does not slip into that state of anarchy and evil that is the Confederacy. Our cause is just. These upstarts not only wish to subject our fellow man to slavery, they wish to force you good, God fearing men into spreading their evil doctrine. This shall not be!!”

He paused as a cheer rippled through the lines of troops, now eagerly following his words. As silence returned, he continued.

“Now for many of you this is your first taste of battle. You will be concerned, nay frightened about the possible events of the day. To this I say, be not a feared. We have the shield of a just cause to protect us. May God be our witness that, as our cause is just, so must we preserver. We face an enemy who has more men than us, but I pity them… because each one of you is worth 10 of them, so in God’s eyes we will prevail.”

Again a roar swelled through the ranks of troops. This time more guttural, more determined.

“I want to share with you some words of John Brown, spoken during his trial. He said” Now, if it is deemed necessary that I should forfeit my life for the furtherance of the ends of justice, and mingle my blood further with the blood of my children and with the blood of millions in this slave country whose rights are disregarded by wicked, cruel, and unjust enactments, I submit; so let it be done!" With these last words a roar started to grow across the camp. This time Nathaniel continued, his voice rising to a crescendo with the waves of naked enthusiasm that swept around him:
“Today is our day to be remembered for ever. These ragged rebels are coming soon. Don’t forget to give a true Missouri welcome. When they come boys, give ‘em hell!!! “

Now if that doesn't turn the battle our way, I do not know what will!!

CountArach
07-25-2007, 11:15
:jawdrop:

Franconicus
07-25-2007, 12:34
Peter Joseph Osterhaus is an immigrant from Germany, more precisely from Prussia. He served one year in the Prussian Army and he knows what military drill is. He has done everything to prepare his men for the battle.

Peter Osterhaus had to leave the Old World. He believed in the ideals of the revolution, he fought against the monarchy, and he saw the defeat of freedom.

Now he is in the New World, in the land of the free. Once more he is willing to fight for freedom, just like many thousand other German immigrants, which had to leave their country to live in freedom. Now they are willing to pay for this freedom, pay with their blood. If it is up to them, there will be no step back.

He stands among his regiment, 2nd Missouri Infantry and listens to the speech of the General. The words of the commander are inspiring. He hears cheers from the other regiments, but his men stay quiet and look helpless. Osterhaus knows that most of his men cannot follow the English speech.

Osterhaus jumps on the barricades:

“Männer des 2. Missouri Regiments, Männer aus Deutschland. Seht dort hinüber, auf die andere Seite des Baches. Dort seht ihr die Sklavenhalter! Sie versammeln sich, um die Sklaverei auch in diesen wunderbaren Staat zu tragen. Hier stehen wir, die wir unser schönes Deutschland verlassen mussten, um in Freiheit zu leben. Wir werden nicht zulassen, dass die Sklaventreiber diese Freiheit zerstören. Wenn sie die Sklaverei nach Missouri bringen wollen, müssen sie an uns vorbei. Männer! Lasst es nicht zu! Kämpft für die Freiheit! Schlagt sie in Fetzen!“

Now his men are applauding. Their Yankee comrades did not understand a word, but soon they all know the new nickname of Osterhaus – ‘Fetzenpeter’!

King Kurt
07-25-2007, 13:10
Not only rousing speeches, but multi lingual - these rebels don't know what's coming for them!!!!!!!!!

CountArach
07-26-2007, 10:29
I'm a bit busy with schoolwork tonight. I should get it up tomorrow.

Thanks for the speeches guys, very cool with the writing in German Franc!

Franconicus
07-26-2007, 11:45
:bow: At your service!

CountArach
07-27-2007, 22:29
Chapter 6 – The Artillery Rang Forth!
August 10th, 1861 – 0530 – Clear day, just after Dawn.

The Hills rang out with the sound of the three Confederate field pieces crying forth their song of death. They started by firing a couple of rang finding shots, and then they started to pound the trenches in an effort to kill your infantry. So far, there has been only light damage and a handful of casualties. Some of the men are noticeably concerned. The enemy artillery is located a few metres ahead of the rest of their men, and the smoke is providing a screen around the centre of their line.

Your artillery completed unlimbering only a few minutes after dawn, and awaited your orders. You were about to give the order to open up on the infantry on the opposite hill, until one of the proponents of firing upon the enemy positions changed his mind and whispered something in your ear. You consider his proposition for a moment and then speak back to him, “Yes I suppose you do have a good point, we are better to save our cannonballs and powder. It could be a long battle ahead of us.”*

You have sent your messenger off to the cavalry around Dixon, who still appear to be remaining in position. He is carrying the message that will tell them to attack any lone artillery that they find, in order to relieve pressure on your men. It is unknown when he will arrive at Dixon.

Your men are in position and they seem less nervous and more determined now that the speech (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1619512&postcount=91) has been given to them. Further, the 2nd Missouri, comprised of many German immigrants, has even higher morale after the speech (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1619602&postcount=93) that Major “Fetzenpeter” Osterhaus gave them.

*There was a tie in voting between firing on the Infantry and holding your fire (Corleone changed his vote without bolding it for those who wish to go back and count it). I flipped a notepad to decide which of the two things go with, and holding fire won.

Decision 1 – Enemy Artillery
The enemy artillery is pounding your trenches. What do you do?
Option A – Charge our cavalry at them.
Option B – Return fire with one of our batteries
Option C – Return fire with all of our guns.
Option D – Do nothing
Option E – Other

Decision 2 – Broken Barricades
The artillery has caused some light damage to the barricades you set up. No gapping holes have been created, however timber has burst open in some sections. What do you do?
Option A – Send out men to try to chop down some more trees in the no-man’s land in front of you.
Option B – Chop down part of the farmhouse
Option C – There is nothing we can do.
Option D – Other

Decision 3 – Artillery ammunition?
What form of ammunition do you want your artillery to use?
Option A – Standard round shot – Long range, mainly damaging against buildings, trenches, artillery
Option B – Canister – Short Range, anti-personnel
Option C – Shrapnel – Long range, anti-personnel
Option D – Shell – Long range, between round shot and shrapnel.

Decision 4 – Artillery Batteries
Your batteries are behind your lines and have unlimbered. You must decide what target to shoot at for the moment. This can be reassessed later.
Option E – Other

Marshal Murat
07-28-2007, 00:14
Regarding artillery.

Do we want to try to use either shrapnel or shell, and try to kill the Confederate artillery crews?

I suggest that the commanding officers go along the trenches, provide some serious moral fiber.

CountArach
07-29-2007, 00:58
Hmmm, it would seem there isn't a great deal of activity. I will give you 30 or so hours from now.

Tran
07-29-2007, 08:38
Give them no chance, I say.

Is the "no man's land" the location between two opposing armies? I think sending people there will be suicidal. Farmhouse is a better choice.

seireikhaan
07-29-2007, 09:29
Decision 1- Artillery.
Option B- Give some response, but conserve some of our ammo for other needs.

Decision 2- Broken Barricades.
Chop down part of the farmhouse.- We want our barricades in good shape, but going into no man's land is suicide right now.

Decision 3- Artillery Ammo.
Option A, Standard round shot – Long range, mainly damaging against buildings, trenches, artillery.

Decision 4- Artillery Batteries

Gurkhal
07-29-2007, 21:51

B. Although we shouldn't waste our ammunition, give our artillery strenght or positions away this early, I think it might be good for our people to know that we arn't just taking beating. A few rounds might also tempt the enemy into thinking that we are weaker in the artillery field than we really are. Making it a nasty suprise when he advance with his infantry towards us. I think that fooling the Confederates into thinking we are weaker than we are might make them go for a frontal attack, and increase our chances of winning. Although it might of course be to late for this kind of tactic. Since someone said earlier than both sides have a lack of experience among both the troops and the leaders, this feint might well come home. If they are looking for an easy victory, it will further add to them attacking.

The artillery has caused some light damage to the barricades you set up. No gapping holes have been created, however timber has burst open in some sections. What do you do?

B. The fight haven't started, and we should make sure that we have as a good start as we can. But sending out people into the no-mansland will leave them open to get struck by artillery and I don't think it would do any good. Both our numbers and morale might take a beating from such a thing. Break appart a few pieces from the farm house is probably the best thing to do.

What form of ammunition do you want your artillery to use?]

B. I think that the key to win is to tear the enemy's infantry formations appart. And I also think that we shoud let them come closer before we open fire. The battery sending a few gifts to the enemy crews shoud use sharpnel. I hope that it's possible for different types of unites to use different types of ammunition.

[B]Decision 4 – Artillery Batteries
Your batteries are behind your lines and have unlimbered. You must decide what target to shoot at for the moment. This can be reassessed later.

D. Don't fire for now. The best thing, as I belive would be for the remaining batteries to keep silent and wait. If everything goes as I hope, this would then happen. The enemy fires at us, they recivie a rather bleak respons, thinking we are low on ammunition or on guns. They think we are weaker than we are and attack, expecting to sweep away a small desperate force of enemies. When the enemy infantry leaves cover and advance against us, and comes close enough, under scattered fire, then the other two batteries open up in one great barrage. This I hope might give the Confederates two things. First, confusion and fear, even panic if we are really lucky. They might also get less confident in their own abilities, fearing further suprises. This of course will proably not happen, but I think that I should put my suggestions into a context. We have to thinking more than just one steep ahead to win.

Csargo
07-30-2007, 06:17
Option B – Return fire with one of our batteries
Option C – Return fire with all of our guns.
Option D – Do nothing
Option E – Other

Option A – Send out men to try to chop down some more trees in the no-man’s land in front of you.
Option C – There is nothing we can do.
Option D – Any attempt to repair the barracade will most likely be a waste of time. Do not repair it at all.

Option A – Standard round shot – Long range, mainly damaging against buildings, trenches, artillery

Option E – Other

Franconicus
07-30-2007, 08:27
Tricky! Right now the enemy is doinh exactly what we thought he would do. However, this could be a red herring, too.

I wonder what is the best thing to do. A cavalry charge would be silly. Why should we expose our small cavalry to the superior rebel cav and the infantry fire? :no:
My first idea was to sit and wait. The enemy has three cannons. Hardly enough to do much damage or to panic our soldiers. I think he is just doing the standard preparation for the assault. However, at the moment there are 15 US cannons against only three rebelguns. Maybe this is a good chance for us.

My proposal is to talk with the commanders of our batteries. If the say that the enemy's artilley is close enough to wipe it away with two or three volley of our 15 cannons, let them do it. If we can destroy the three cannons, this should boost the moral. If not, keep them in silence. Then it will be better to surprise the rebel infantry with concentrated fire.

Do not worry. Some men of our reserve can prepare some tumber, either from the farm house, or they could chop some trees at our flanks. Do not try to repair the barricades now.

??? We have to prepare, that the rebels charge soon. Therefore, canisters should be in range. If we decided to destroy the rebel cannons, it should be D, I guess.

Either fire on the artillery or wait!

King Kurt
07-30-2007, 10:12

We should open up with all our guns - shrapnel to kill the crews.

Probably not worth mending - the broken timbers in front will hinder the attackers as well

Shrapnel in the short term until the infantry are in cannister range.

Counter battery for a few rounds then their infantry - we want them to attack. Also our troops would be getting a little demoralised with no return fire.

Don Corleone
07-31-2007, 18:43
Decision 1:
Option C
Return Fire. Try to silence their guns. Winning an artillery duel will help to boost our men's morale.

Decision 2:

Option C Leave the barricades alone. Nothing to be done now. They'll still slow their cavalry down.

Decision 3:
Ammunition: A or D. A will break the caissons, D will kill the men. I'll go with D, maybe we'll hit stray infantry or cavalry in the area to boot. Don't worry about preparing the caissons erh, cannistor rounds yet. You don't just charge, they have to line their men up. We'll have some forewarning, even if it's short.

Decision 4:
Target: Option B I'm going back to what I had said earlier. Their artillery is having more success than we thought. Time to silence them.

Sorry for not bolding before, CA. Noted for the future.

CountArach
08-01-2007, 05:33
No problem Don...

I'll try to get this up tomorrow, this has been a rather busy week.

CountArach
08-03-2007, 10:14
Chapter 7 – The Tension Rises, The Battle Comes Yonder
August 10th, 1861 – 0600 – Clear day, just after Dawn.

You get up onto the front of the trenches and look out. The men nearby look up at you, admiration painted on their faces. You do not speak; you simply raise your arm. You can hear the artillery crews rolling out their cannon balls along the line. You smile a knowing smile; those Rebels don’t know what is going to hit them.

Waiting until it appears that your order has been carried out, your smile widens. This was always the best part of any battle, the artillery bombardment. Quick as a flash, you bring your arm down and right along the line a single word is yelled fifteen times.

“FIRE!”

All of your 15 cannons ring out and fire their shells into the enemy position. You wait for a second, observing the rebel artillery positions. One moment the sky is blue, with only a trace of cloud, then the sky is filled with explosions, caused by the spray of shrapnel.

You wait nervously until the smoke has cleared and look at the Rebel positions. Many of the men around you have propped themselves up in their trenches to join your observations.

The smoke clears to reveal a horrible sight. The Rebel guns have finished reloading, seemingly unhampered by the first volley. They fire back, not at the men this time, but at your artillery pieces.

This set the scene for the next ten minutes. Your artillery would fire, and then the Rebels would respond. However, all that changed at about 0550. Your cannons fired on the enemy positions, however when the smoke cleared, only one cannon responded. The other two cannon’s crews had been panicked off. A couple of corpses were visible on each of the guns; however the main reason was that their morale had simply snapped.

In addition to the noise caused by your cannons, the sound of axes on the Farmhouse featured prominently in the air, as the men cut down timber in an effort to fix the barricades. They have nailed together most of the broken areas, yet most of the nails are used up so you will be mostly unable to fix any more breakages.

A scout arrived literally a minute ago, reporting movement just to the south of Sharp’s farm; it looks as if most of the Rebels have chosen to join the fight.

There is only one cannon left in this battery, the other two cannon crews having panicked ten minutes ago. What do you do?
Option A – Continue to fire with only one of our batteries
Option B – Continue to fire with all of our guns.
Option C – Fire on something else (Please Specify)
Option D – Stop firing, conserve the ammunition.
Option E – Other

Decision 2 – Artillery ammunition?
Option C – Shrapnel – Long range, anti-personnel.

Decision 3 – Approaching Enemies
The Rebels appear to be approaching from the South. What do we do about them?
Option A – Send most of our scouts down there to keep an eye on them
Option B – Send most of our cavalry to observe them
Option C – Do nothing. They will arrive when they arrive.
Option D – Other

King Kurt
08-03-2007, 10:48
There is only one cannon left in this battery, the other two cannon crews having panicked ten minutes ago. What do you do?
We need to keep their heads down and the morale low. Also, we should switch to shot to conserve our shrapnel and also to possible knock out a gun or 2.
See above - we will use shrapnel and shell when the infantry come into range.
Option D – Other
We should keep them under observation, but just with a few scouts. The rest of the scouts should continue scouting all possible avenues of attack. Also I assume these troops are out of range of our guns. If they are not, we should lob the occasional shell to hinder their deployment and to get them a bit riled up. Idealy we would like a precipitious attack to occur where they come at us in poor order and uncoordinated.

Finally - good to see that the counterbattery using shrapnel was so effective - morale is key to this battle and we should always think along those lines.

Franconicus
08-03-2007, 11:47

I say give them another full volley. Guess the last crew will run away too, now that the commrades are gone. However, just one volley, then stop firing! Prepare for the infantry/cavalry charge, that will certainly follow.

The moral of our men should be alright, now that we almost whiped the enemie`s art. away. No sense in shelling unmanned guns.

Option E – Other

Both! One round for the cannons - round shots. Maybe we can hit one or two guns!
Then change to canisters. The infantry charge will come; I say wait until we can shell them at short range. Then the result will be as bloody as possible.

I do not agree with KK in this special point. We should not disturb their deployment. Wait until they come. If they are able to approach in close formations, the cannons and musquets will have a better harvest!

This is the beginning of the CW. The rebels do not know what concentrated defensive fire can do. Most of the generals did not realize it until the end of the war.

Option D – Other[/QUOTE]
We are on a hill and we should see at least if there is something coming. We are prepare anyway. There is little else we could do.

Use all scouts cavalry to patrol at our flanks. We have to know every flanking move at once!!

King Kurt
08-03-2007, 13:12
Franc - a couple of points

I propose to keep a low level of shelling on the guns as we have broken their morale - once they are not under fire and an officer gets hold of them, they may well return. They are less likely too if the position is still under fire.

I also believe we shold shell their infantry as soon as they are in range. this could do one of 2 things - they may run away - unlikely, but who knows? or they may get their blood up and charge without orders. If a couple of regiments come, we will slaughter them and their morale will break, taking them out of the game and affecting the morale of any troops behind them. If say 6 regiments come in good order, we will kill the same number, but spread over 6 regiments not 2. That might lead to them making it to our positions and potentially overwhelming us - remember we are outnumbered. With the green troops about on the rebel side, they are unlikely to sit under fire forming up for an attack, much more likely to loose discipline and attack us piecemeal. We must always consider morale as our main weapon and use it accordingly.

Franconicus
08-03-2007, 16:48
Kurt, if we shell their cannons, the last crew may leave too. We keep on shelling until the infantry charges, then we ahve to change the target anyway. During the infantry charge, the crews will return anyway.

Therefore I do not see any reason to shell the empty positions.

The main problem with artillery is, that the enemy has 15 cannons in total. We have to deal with the nine others later. Now we should be glad that we took some of the crews out of the game.

The charge: I agree that the rebels will attack as a wild bunch. Propably there will even be a combined charge of cavalry and infantry. The rebels will give up order.

Our front is not very wide. I don't think that the first two or three rows can be more than about 2,000 soldiers. We can stop those with one single volley of our rifles. Additionally we have 15 cannons that shell canisters into the rear lines.

After our first volley, the assaulting rebels will hesitate. They haven't expeted high casualties. The cries of the wounded and the panic of the horses will spread. Our second volley will increase the chaos.

If we are lucky and the rebel commander is more patriotic than clever, he will send to other waves into the fire. Then 4,000 rebels are dead, the moral is low and we won the battle.

The danger is, that he may learn faster than we can kill the rebels. Then he will stopp the assault and try something else, artillery bombardment or flanking. Therefore we have to kill as many rebels at once as possible.

Other scenario: we bombard the rebel deployment on the other side of the valley. We kill only few, but show that we are serious defending. The rebel captain becomes worried, he sends only 500 of his bandits, which we kill. Then he decided to change his tactic and to bypass the trench.
Not good!

Therefore, keep quiet until there are masses of rebels in front of our trench and then kill them all.

Kommodus
08-03-2007, 18:12
This looks interesting, and I'd like to jump in, if I may.

Option E – Other

After reviewing the thread, I'd say we would've been better off holding our fire in the first place. We're going to need all the ammunition we have to beat back the waves of rebel infantry when they attack. A single rebel cannon is not much of a threat to us - the three that were there before did very little damage - and is not worth the trouble. We must execute option D at once.

Since our artillery's main purpose is (should be) to take out enemy infantry, I'd say we're down to B or C. It seems logical to me that the artillery could use shrapnel when the enemy infantry begins to advance, then switch to canister once they are close enough for it to be effective. There are two issues with this, however:

1. How quickly can the artillery switch between types of ammunition? If they can't switch quickly, it might be better to simply wait until they're in range and then tear them apart with canister.

2. Even if they can switch quickly, it may be desirable to leave them unmolested until we can deal one massive morale blow with a great volley of canister shot. This could be a long battle, and I don't want to waste a lot of ammunition in the beginning.

Therefore, I'll go with option C here. (EDIT: I meant B; I think we should hold fire until they're within range of cannister volleys.)

Option D – Other

Good intelligence is vital; we need to know as much as possible about rebel movements. Obviously, we need to be careful that we don't deprive ourselves of our eyes - if we send out scouts/cavalry haphazardly too quickly, we might miss movement in other areas. Nevertheless, I suspect this could be a major movement, and I'd like to know more about it - numbers, composition, direction, etc. So I'll go with option A - we should conserve our cavalry at the moment.

CountArach
08-03-2007, 21:45
This looks interesting, and I'd like to jump in, if I may.
Everyone is free to come and go as they please.

1. How quickly can the artillery switch between types of ammunition? If they can't switch quickly, it might be better to simply wait until they're in range and then tear them apart with canister.
Ammunition can be changed fairly quickly, just a bit longer than it takes to load a gun.

Marshal Murat
08-03-2007, 22:07
Don't we have to reposition our artillery pieces to fire canister effectively?
If I understand the situation, the artillery pieces are behind our infantry, firing over their heads. If the artillery fires canister, won't it shatter the Union infantry. We aren't dealing with expertly trained artillery crews, and mistakes are deadly.

1. D
2. B
3. D - Keep a couple scouts around to tab the situation. We don't want any surprises.

I am of the opinion that the Rebs will probably throw three waves at our position, hoping to crack it.
Rebel yell - Charge - Rifle volley and canister - Retreat

The commander might launch only two, but he will launch 2.
The first wave to overwhelm any Union troops. If it shows any chance of reaching the trench, then the commander will launch a second charge. The 2nd charge would probably hit and maybe reach the trench, but most likely will fail.

I think that the commander, Lyons, takes personal control of a section of Union soldiers with a couple sergeants, pulls them out at a point in the battle, leads them to the rear in a scattered formation. Trick the rebels into thinking that the Union troops are cracking, launch another assault.

Don Corleone
08-04-2007, 03:45
I think we have a misunderstanding. Franc is talking as though the Rebel batteries fled. They didn't, ours did. We only have one battery left....

And MM is right. If we load cannister, we either need to reposition the guns or open a gap in our lines.

Not voting yet, just want to make certain we're all on the same page.

CountArach
08-04-2007, 03:50
Umm, 2 of the 3 Rebel guns in the Battery fled. None of yours did.

Marshal Murat
08-04-2007, 04:09
This set the scene for the next ten minutes. Your artillery would fire, and then the Rebels would respond. However, all that changed at about 0550. Your cannons fired on the enemy positions, however when the smoke cleared, only one cannon responded. The other two cannon’s crews had been panicked off. A couple of corpses were visible on each of the guns; however the main reason was that their morale had simply snapped.

Our cannons seem to have scared off the Rebel crews.
Got it.

Don Corleone
08-04-2007, 04:35
Thanks for the clarafication, CA. I misundertsood.

First off, I think we're all in agreement, that morale, rather than actual casualties inflicted is the name of this game, so early in the war with so many green troops. The question is how best to improve our own morale while beating down theirs. We won the artillery duel, that helps. Now we need to follow that minor victory up with more....

Question 1: Option C, Other target With our morale boosted, we should be able to take a few stray shells now. Start firing down on their infantry before they get too close, take the wind out of their sails. Taking out that one lone gun won't don much for our morale, but taking out a good chunk of their infantry should do wonders.

Question 2: Option C, shrapnel, long-range, anti-personnel. Save the cannister for when they really start getting close. Though I'm inclined to agree with Komodus a little bit... time to start keeping an eye on the powder.

Question 3: Option A... yes we want to know what their intended approach route is, how many men in column and so forth. Buth they were very quiet last night. Last thing we need is for a second column to appear on our flank. If there's a second column coming, better to know about it sooner rather than later, so we can respond, not panic. Keep the cavalry and scouts roaming all around the field, committing none too many to any one sector.

Csargo
08-04-2007, 05:43
Option E – Other

Option D – Other

Conserve our ammunition, There's only one that can currently fire at us. I doubt it will be able to do much damage. Wait for the rebels to get deployed and start attacking before we fire at them. The shrapnel will be more effective that way. Send the Scout cavalry out to watch the rebels movements just so we can get some sort of idea how they may want to attack us.

CountArach
08-07-2007, 09:45
Sorry guys, I have a lot of exams over the next two weeks, so have been busy studying. I will have time to do this tomorrow.

Kommodus
08-07-2007, 19:25
Ammunition can be changed fairly quickly, just a bit longer than it takes to load a gun.

Thanks. Even so, please change my choice for Decision 2 from C to B. I think we should just load the guns with cannister and hold fire until the rebel infantry is in range.

CountArach
08-10-2007, 05:36
Chapter 8 – The Battle Arrives
August 10th, 1861 – 0615 – Clear day, just after Dawn.

Fifteen minutes have passed since the Rebel Cannons began to flee. Your men fired one last salvo, achieving nothing, and then stopped firing, allowing the cannons to cool down. The men moved back to their supply wagons and started to load the canister, awaiting the inevitable charge. You have about 15 canister rounds for the battle per cannon.

The one remaining Rebel gun in the Battery continues to fire round shot, this time targeting your artillery. They have not achieved anything so far, the range being too far to accurately determine ranges.

You sent an order to your scouts to keep an eye on the approaching Rebel forces and so far they have reported that it seems the entire remnant of the Rebel army, amounting to around 8000 men are on the march and approaching your position.

Yet the most interesting thing to come of the last 15 minutes has been the approach of 900 men, coming down from Bloody Hill. They are hitting the right of your trench and are sitting opposed to Andrew’s Brigade, who has just over 1000 men with him. Your men sit about 200 yards apart, where the Rebels have halted and are taunting your men. A few scattered men have run forward and have been picked off by your men in the trenches.

However, something interesting has come from this. The men are packed quite tightly in the trenches and as such reloading has become an issue. It is taking your men at least ten seconds longer to reload than it would if they were standing in open ground. On the plus side, they can put forth a far greater amount of firepower in a volley because they are so tight.

Decision 1 – Artillery
You have loaded the canister into your cannons and currently the enemy is just over the effective range of the nearest cannons (The effective range being 200 yards).
Option A – Fire now.
Option B – Fire at 200 yards
Option C – Fire at 150 yards
Option D – Fire at 100 yards
Option E – Fire at another distance
Option F – Do not fire at all, conserve our canister

Decision 2 – Re-loading difficulties
Your men in the trenches are having difficulties reloading due to being packed too tightly in the trench.
Option A – It does not matter
Option B – Take some of our men out of the trenches (Specify which ones)
Option C – Pull all of the men out of the trenches
Option D – Other

Decision 3 – Orders for Andrews
There are 900 Rebels building up in front of Andrews’ Brigade. Do you have any orders for him?

Decision 4 – Other Orders
Are there any other orders you want to give to any of your Brigade commanders?

Current Situation
Alright, I decided to give you a map, because otherwise you will lose track of where everything is. It is intentionally vague.

https://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/CountArach/Maps/Wilsons_Creek-CH8.jpg

Marshal Murat
08-10-2007, 05:50
I suggest that the lines be thinned out by having
1 man load
1 man percussion cap
1 man shoot

It thins out the lines but allows a constant volley of fire.

1. D
Wait for the Rebs to get within a good firing range. Give them the shot and bloody them.

2. B
Take 300 men out of the line, shift them to be perpendicular to the end of the line. Have them enfilade the Rebel charge.

3. Have Andrews wait for the Rebs to get within canister distance, then let the men fire at once. Enough lead in the air should bloody the Confederate advance.

4. Hold, maybe distribute rations and coffee.

The Rebels might try to outflank our position, especially on our right where our line isn't bunkered against a natural obstacle or element.

Ignoramus
08-10-2007, 09:30
1.) C. Firing at 200 yards is risky, as it is only just inside the effective firing range. If we let them come another 50 yards, then we stand a better chance of inflicting more damage.

2.) B. Take 300 men out of the trenches.

3.) Send the 300 men round to flank the Confederates, while leaving the other 600 men to try and provoke them into charging.

4.) Hold firm and wait for the Confederate line to attack.

King Kurt
08-10-2007, 12:55
Decision 1 – Artillery
You have loaded the canister into your cannons and currently the enemy is just over the effective range of the nearest cannons (The effective range being 200 yards).

That should be a shattering blow, especially coupled with the musket fire. That should halt the charge and allow another whiff of grapeshot.

Your men in the trenches are having difficulties reloading due to being packed too tightly in the trench.
We should keep our men in the trenches. This gives them shelter from any fire, improves their morale and provides a more devastating volley when it comes. Remember the Rebels will be moving - very difficult to reload, so will only fire when they charge home - so return fire is not a problem. We want them to halt about 100 yards away, in the open. Then we will be shooting at massed infantry in the open from our defensive positions. The loss of rate of fire is not a problem as our losses will increase if we move them into the open. Remember this is all about morale, so protecting our troops is good, especially as we can deliver a single devastating blow. That should halt them or make them run.
There are 900 Rebels building up in front of Andrews’ Brigade. Do you have any orders for him?
These are isolated and locally outnumbered. Leave them be, except engage them in a firefight. They then have to halt in the open and get shot to bits, retreat or charge. If they charge, our fire will shread them before they gey close.

Just more of the same - let em get closeish then shoot them to bits. Make sure plenty of ammo and water is available

Franconicus
08-10-2007, 21:51
Agree with Kurt!

Julian the apostate
08-12-2007, 03:51
1. Order artillery to fire at 150 yards

2. The German major who did the speech, have him pull half of sigels troops out of the trenches and move them to andrews flank and have the men in the trench spread out with this new space. When they reach there have them form a skirmish line, wheel so that they face the rebels and are perpendicular to andrews men and then hold

3. Order Andrews to follow the instructions given by murat and to continue picking off anyone who closes

Tran
08-18-2007, 11:23
Decision 1 – Artillery
It is a good range

Wait for them, engage when they fire or close enough, and maybe order the men to taunt back? ~;)

Hold the line and keep the eyes on them and keep the men morale high

CountArach
08-18-2007, 22:45
Sorry it's been a while guys. I'm in the middle of some really hectic exams. I should get this up in a week. Don't think I've forgotten you!

Rodion Romanovich
08-19-2007, 14:37
1D

2B take as many troops as needed to make reloading easier, whether it's half a regiment or an entire one. Pull back the removed troops in hiding behind any natural cover that can be found behind Andrews, and let them hide there for now. Choose the troops expected to have the highest morale. Once completed, report how many were removed and where they have been positioned. Their later use will obviously be to act as reserves, or if needed cover the right flank from outflanking attempts.

3. nothing except the obvious: if the enemy gets close enough to take casualties, start firing the muskets.

4. hold still and wait for an enemy attack. I expect the enemy to attack our right flank. Therefore, if there are any signs of massed enemy formations there, the artillery will fire concentrated artillery volleys on the right flank, otherwise the artillery should concentrate their fire towards the enemy left flank (since it is further away from our reserves if things get difficult there).

Gurkhal
08-27-2007, 06:49
Decision 1 – Artillery
Option C – Fire at 150 yards

Better to make sure they're within range before we start shooting both to save our ammunition and to not let the stress of being under fire start untill we can shoot with maximum effect.

Option B – Take some of our men out of the trenches (Specify which ones

Take a third to half of the men out, and let them form a reserv behind the main battle line. Maybe they could try to put up some manner of defences, or just try to sitt tight and avoid getting hit. With this we have both more room to reload in the trench, as well as a reserv in case things would turn nasty. Exactly which men to pull out I think is of minor importence, just as long as there are no gaps in the line.

Don't let them draw him out from his defences, and keep us informed if they would try something cleaver.

For the Union!

Franconicus
09-07-2007, 10:09
:stupido2: Hey, is the battle over? Did we win??

King Kurt
09-21-2007, 14:56
CA - have the rebels realised the futility of their position? or is this dead???

Rodion Romanovich
09-21-2007, 15:00
I think the rebels decided to make love, not war :hippie: ~:grouphug:

Or maybe there was another tea party in Boston? :coffeenews:

CountArach
09-22-2007, 00:01
CA - have the rebels realised the futility of their position? or is this dead???
Sorry to say it, but dead. I finish school in just under 2 months (Which is why I have been so busy lately) - then I will start something again.

Sorry to waste your time guys :(