PDA

View Full Version : Viability of Stakes

GryfynBlade
07-18-2007, 02:07
I'm just in from the single player microcosm, and I'm wondering whether or not sharpened stakes are of any real use in multiplayer.

Skimming through this and other multiplayer forums, I note that there is a great deal of emphasis put onto movement and flanking. Is there, then, any real viability for the stationary stakes viable at all?

Thanks, in advance.

t1master
07-18-2007, 03:10
there's a thread about the stake box army. it kinda got derailed, but the stakes can be employed in mp, and some teams have had a fun go of it. they can be employed like a trap while your armies jockey about, but you'll most likely die horribly if you camp around your stake box.

edit: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=78370

Stig
07-18-2007, 10:55
I won one battle in them, and lost a 2vs3 while we both had stake boxes. They work, just hope that your enemy hasn't got Musketeers.

RTKBarrett
07-18-2007, 18:25
Against an experienced mper i cant see it working in a 1v1 scene mate... however they are still fun in team games... worst part is if ure own routing cav run back into them :dizzy2:

Stig
07-18-2007, 19:50
You'd be suprised.
Cav can't charge into it, and Sherwood Archers and Yeomen and Retinue Longbowmen have great melee stats.
Most of the time the enemy doesn't dare to attack, and he needs to march his men in, running won't help and only kill.
Sides, put some dismounted knights with them for support (or Billmen in 1.2) and it should work very well.

You might lose, but not by much (unless they manage to get your general early and all starts routing).

pike master
07-19-2007, 15:11
the best use for them is that they can deny the battlefield to running cavalry and help shape the battlefield to the defenders preference.

secondly is that if done properly they can be used to ambush an unsuspecting opponent. as in deploying the stakes in an unlikely place, but only laid down just before you end deployment phase, then rush your archers to a different position when the battle starts.

Colossus
07-19-2007, 15:47
The main factor as why they are useless, is no player will charge into the, unlike the AI.

The only time I can think they are useful is if you take enough ha to force the enemy to attack, unless he wants his cav to die. Then it stops them charging your inf. But if you take good ha, plus archers with stakes, you wont have much money left, unless you play higher money with no cav limit ofc.

KrooK
07-19-2007, 18:06
Stakes are good vs rushers.
You simply wait on enemy.