PDA

View Full Version : The War of The Spanish Succession/Great Northern War

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lord Winter
07-20-2007, 17:54
The Great Northern War/ War of the Spanish Succession

The year is 1700 and tensions are running high in Europe. In the north, the Saxon's, Danes and Russian's have signed The Treaty of Preobrazhenskoye, binding them into an alliance against the young Swedish ruler and the greatest infantry in Europe.

The rest of Europe waits and watches the heir-less king of Spain. For when he dies both the mighty French and Austrian empires have claims, both of which would allow their kings to claim hegemony over Europe. However William of Orange stands in the way of the French, seeking to once again create a grand alliance to oppose the mighty Sun King.

It is a time of high stakes were the world order for the century will be decided. The time is ripe for a strong ruler who will be able to lead his nation to victory. It is a time were nations will rise and fall.

This a multi player interactive history in the style of Leigo's 17th centruy. I will give decisions regarding you nation each turn which you will respond to by PM. The thread will be for propaganda public announcements and diplomacy.

Map
http://www.euratlas.net/PHA/history_europe/europe_map_1700.jpg

Rules:

The turn will start with me posting a narration of what happened last turn. After the description I will post a series of decisions that you need to make this turn. You are welcome to use any of the suggestion that will be posted under it or make your own course of action as long as it is historically possible. You are not limited to the decision topics and may branch out and may change anything else you want. Be warned that all actions have their consequences.

Examples of actions that you will make include:

In the public thread:

A. Public declarations of war
B. Propaganda, this can effect public option in the story.
C. Changes in your government or official stances
D. Diplomacy

In PM. (Note: some info may leak)

A. Starting a war without a public declaration
B. Private diplomacy with other leaders by P.M. Note that I will play all Non Player Factions (NPF's)
C. Military plans: You can be as broad as you want (attack X city) or make complicated plans.
D. Military reforms and government reforms

Declaring a Winner

In this interactive there will be multiable winners in four different categories. Who ever holds one of these categories at the games end (1730) will be declared a winner. The categories and there current holders are:

Master of the Baltic: Sweden
Dominant Continental Power: France
Dominant Colonial Power: Holland
The power in the east: Ottomans

The master of the Baltic title will go to the most powerful nation in the Baltic sea region. This will be determined by both wealth and military might. Dominant continental power will be rewarded to the nation holding the most power and influence in Western and Central Europe. The third victory title will be measured by both the number of colonies and the wealth of the said colonies. Ability to control the trade routs between these will also be crucial in determining the winner. Lastly the power of the east is mainly focused on south-eastern Europe and will be determined by the nation with the most influence in the Balkans, Turkey and the Black Sea. Please note that it will be possible for one nation to achieve more then one of these goals. At the begaining of every year (every four turns) I will post a list updating the status of each victory condition.

Other Rules
A. Each turn will be three months of real time.
B. Please also note that not all deaths will follow the exact historical guide lines although natural deaths will be in similer years.

For the first turn you must find information about your nation including:

A. General diplomatic stances, treaties, claims and alliances

B. Economic strength

C. Army and naval organization and if possible the size of each.

D. Any major problems of the nation. (for example Russia's poor modernness)

Nations:

Sweden: Don Corleone
France: Franconicus
Spain: Swordsmaster
The Netherlands: Stig

Waiting list:

Banquno's Ghost
Inca
Leigo

Franconicus
07-22-2007, 13:58
I`d like to take France!

Don Corleone
07-24-2007, 15:00
I'd like to sign up. If we get to choose our faction, since France is gone, I'll take Sweden. If not, I'll take wherever you assign me.

God help me, I'm going to get fired! I've never ventured into Interactive History before... crikey, it's addictive. It's the Gameroom and the Monastery all rolled into one. I'm doomed!

Franconicus
07-24-2007, 15:09
Do not worry my friend! You have experience in dealing with little children and that is all you have to have in IAs. And be sure, France is at your side :duel:

Welcome in the game ~:cheers:

Stig
07-24-2007, 15:15
Sounds fun, I would like to be Holland/England
God, I'm patriotic :charge:

Lord Winter
07-24-2007, 20:07
Welcome to the chapter house Don :wave:

Sweden will be fine.
I'll start in a couple days after I try an advertising campign through the other fourms.

Franconicus
07-24-2007, 21:07
[B]Nations:

Denmark
Sweden
Poland/Saxony (In personal union)
Russia
France
Spain
Austria
The Netherlands and England (in personal union)
Bavaria
Brandenburg
Ottoman Empire

Please note that Saxony, Austria, Bavaria and Brandenburg are all part of the Holy Roman Empire! All are part of the German nation!!

seireikhaan
07-24-2007, 21:26
Ottomans for me.

King Jan III Sobieski
07-24-2007, 21:38
Can I sign up for Poland/Saxony? :book:

Csargo
07-24-2007, 21:52
I'll take Brandenburg.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
07-24-2007, 22:33
This seems to be the place - your advertising campaign successfully lured me here Destroyer of Hope. I'll just take what's left and lead them to extermination - I've never played one of these very intriguing games before.

Incongruous
07-24-2007, 22:48
Could I take a hand in The Union and Orange?
After all, constitutional monarchy what!

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
07-24-2007, 22:49
I Take Austria
:-)

Lord Winter
07-25-2007, 03:10
Please note that Saxony, Austria, Bavaria and Brandenburg are all part of the Holy Roman Empire! All are part of the German nation!!

Yes, but at this time the Empire was so decentralized that emperor couldn't keep control of all his subjects thus rendering him to a fairly ceramonial role (however the emperor as the head of austria still had a ton of power).

Bopa England/Netherlands is already taken.

Omanes Russia's still open and had a large role in the war; however they are encountering internal dissent and a large array of problems realated with Peter the Great's efforts of modernizing the nation.

Denmark, Spain and Baveria are also open.

CountArach
07-25-2007, 06:07
Denmark!

Tran
07-25-2007, 06:18
What's the point without Spain? I'll take Spain! I hope it won't be too difficult... :hide:

Franconicus
07-25-2007, 07:06
What's the point without Spain? I'll take Spain! I hope it won't be too difficult... :hide:
It won't! If memory serves, you're going to die soon :cry:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
07-25-2007, 08:31
Omanes Russia's still open and had a large role in the war; however they are encountering internal dissent and a large array of problems realated with Peter the Great's efforts of modernizing the nation.I'll have a go at Russia then. It sounds like a very enjoyable challange.

Banquo's Ghost
07-25-2007, 09:26
Ah, I see I'm too late. :embarassed:

It looks to be a fascinating interactive though - I'm looking forward to reading how it goes.

:bow:

Warluster
07-25-2007, 09:47
I will take Bavaria, if it is not taken...

Though looking from BG's post it is... uh well.

Banquo's Ghost
07-25-2007, 10:40
I will take Bavaria, if it is not taken...

Though looking from BG's post it is... uh well.

No, don't worry. I'd only be interested in a faction I know something about, as I don't have the time to research a whole new history. Those are already taken.

I haven't a clue about Bavaria. :beam:

Stig
07-25-2007, 11:38
Hence why I went for Holland ~D

Franconicus
07-25-2007, 13:21
:france:

On behalf of the King of France and Navarre Jean-Baptiste Colbert de Torcy, the Foreign Minister of France, makes this declaration to all European rulers:

France is ruled by our King, Louis Le Grand, for many years now. During this time, the increase of wealth and strength of our great nation has been matchless.

The base of this boom is the well organized administration. Our land is united and centralized. The Catholic Church follows the leadership of the King. Our manufactories are unique and the productivity of our country is unexampled. The export of French goods brings a benefit of 18 million Livres per year.

Our army had to fight several wars to repel the challenges of our neighbours:

Contest for precedence
War of Devolution
La ReunionWars
War against the League of Augsburg

Our nation was victorious in each conflict.

Today, our nation is respected as the dominant nation in Europe. Now, thee is no reason for further military confrontations. France wants to live in peace with all her neighbours. There are only some minor issues left that – as we believe – can be solved in a peaceful way.

France has currently a ceasefire with Spain that was agreed to last for 20 years. This agreement will end in 1704. France has also build new or modernized 160 fortresses to protect her frontiers. These fortresses, designed by the genius Sébastien le Prestre de Vauban, show the defensive character of the French policy.

Today, France has the strongest army and the strongest navy. Even in peacetime our army fields 280,000 men. They are well trained and well equipped.

France has also increased its colonies. Besides La Nouvelle France there is also Tschandarnagar (1673), Pondichery (1674) and the isle of Martinique. In 1683 La Salle found the French colony Louisiana at the Mississippi River. In 1660 the French Crown purchased Haiti, in 1664 Guyana as well as parts of the Senegal and Madagascar.

However, the happiness of a country is not only measured by the strength of its army or the national income. France is also the leader on the field of culture. The French living style is desired all over the world. Nowhere else life is dominated by theatre, poetry and luxury like at Paris. With envy the other nations call our King ‘Le Roi Soleil’!

France shakes hands with all her peaceful neighbours. We are willing to share the advantages of French culture and technologies with our friends.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/France_1552_to_1798-en.png

Don Corleone
07-25-2007, 14:00
I'm thinking maybe I need to stop and watch how IA's go when one person is responsible for a faction before I enter into one as well organized as this. Therefore, I'd like to step down, and allow Banquo to step in as the King of Sweden. It will be fun to watch!

Stig
07-25-2007, 14:08
Got a question, what is the exact starting date?
After all Willem III reign in England ended it 1694.

Or am I playing as the small alliance England and the Dutch had?

Franconicus
07-25-2007, 14:10
I'm thinking maybe I need to stop and watch how IA's go when one person is responsible for a faction before I enter into one as well organized as this. Therefore, I'd like to step down, and allow Banquo to step in as the King of Sweden. It will be fun to watch!
:gah2:
Just look at Legio's 17th century IA. There you see how the game goes!!

By the way, the game hasn't started yet. Right now everyone is supposed to give an introduction of his kingdom. Then DoH starts the game.

Certainly you can start making alliances anyway.

BTW. You will have a warm welcome at Paris!:sweetheart:

Lord Winter
07-25-2007, 16:37
The starting date is 1700.

My sources say that it was just his wife that died in 1694, are you sure?

Stig
07-25-2007, 16:59
Yeah his wife died in 1694, which, according to our Dutch history books meant that he was no longer king of England, they however maintained an alliance against France, which attacked in 1701.

Lord Winter
07-25-2007, 21:26
This (http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/william_iii.htm) states actions of William after the death of Mary II. The next queen, Anne also did not asscend the throne untill 1702 (williams death). However if you think that it's more historcal to split them that can certainly happen to.

Stig
07-25-2007, 21:28
Well it will allow for another nation, and people really seem to be wanting to play this game.

Csargo
07-25-2007, 23:35
A.Can't really find anything about it.

B. Consists of mostly large Junker estates controlled by the nobles. The government collected l,533,000 thalers in 1689 from taxes. The government's monopolies on such things as salt and silk helped them increase the size of the standing army over the years. The army was used in turn to build structures and things like canals, ect.

C. The Army 80000 well trained proffesional soldiers and the navy I haven't found yet most likely extremely small.

D. None that I'm aware of other than the fact that Brandenburg is cut off from Prussia because of Poland's ownership of the strip of land between them. Also, the fact that Brandenburg is surrounded by powerful states: France, Austria, Poland, and Sweden.

I couldn't find anything about the Diplomacy of the time or about the navy.

Lord Winter
07-26-2007, 01:08
I am going to split England and The Netherlands, Stig can have first choice on which one he wants.

Don sorry to hear you won't be playing, Banquno sweden is open for you if you want it.

Don Corleone
07-26-2007, 05:05
I'll be watching, following along and learning. If you need somebody to play the Barbary Pirates, I'm your man. Just really don't have the time to put into it that it deserves. I think 1 IA at a time should be my rule for a while, till I get my legs, if you will.

Csargo
07-26-2007, 06:11
Is there a set date to start this or is it just until everyone finishes their searching? Also, if anyone has any information on the diplomatic situation or navy size of Brandenburg-Prussia could I have a link or PM message?

Warluster
07-26-2007, 08:37
Bavaria

Leader

Maximilian II Emanuel
Maximilian II Emanuel (July 11, 1662 - February 26, 1726) was a Wittelsbach ruler of Bavaria and an elector (Kurfürst) of the Holy Roman Empire. He was also the last Governor of the Spanish Netherlands and duke of Luxembourg. An able soldier, his ambition led to conflicts that limited his ultimate dynastic achievements.

He was born in Munich to Ferdinand Maria, Elector of Bavaria and Henriette Adelaide of Savoy (d.1676). His maternal grandparents were Victor Amadeus I of Savoy and Christine Marie of France. Christine Marie was the second daughter of Henry IV of France and his second wife Marie de' Medici.
House of Wittelsbach
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Max_II_Emanuel_family_v2.png

Regional Titles Owned:
Elector of the Holy Roman Empire
Duke of Bavaria
Governor of the Spanish Netherlands

Bavaria Info
Its capital if Munich. It borders Austria and the region of Switzerland. Also borders Hesse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Flag_of_Bavaria_%28lozengy%29.svg

(From Wikipedia)

Diplomatic Stance
Is allied with France.
Is allied with Spain.
bad Relations with Austria,Britain and the Ottoman Empire.
Good relations with Brandenburg-Prussia.
Neutral with everyone else.

Economic Situation

Bavaria is flourshing, having just entered into a alliance with France, and closely allied with Spain because of marriage. The economy is enough to sustain Bavaria for many more years.

I could not find exact details.

Bavarian Military

Bavarian Orders
The principle orders and decorations of the Kingdom of Bavaria for military personnel were, for officers, the Military Order of Max Joseph and the Order of Military Merit and, for non-commissioned officers and enlisted personnel (including officer candidates), the gold and silver Military Merit Medals and the Military Merit Cross. Unlike several German states, Bavaria had no decoration which was awarded without regard to rank (and thus comparable to the Prussian Iron Cross).
In addition to these awards, the Kingdom of Bavaria had a number of other orders . Among these were the Order of St. Hubertus (Haus-Ritter-Orden vom heiligen Hubertus), Bavaria's highest order, founded in 1444 and revived in 1708; the Order of St. George (Militärischer Haus-Ritter-Orden vom heiligen Georg), founded in 1729; the Merit Order of St. Michael (Verdienstorden vom heiligen Michael), founded in 1693 and revived in 1837 as Bavaria's principle peacetime merit order for services to the Crown; and the Merit Order of the Bavarian Crown (Verdienstorden der Bayerischen Krone), founded in 1808. More on these orders may be found here. Another order, although military, is not covered here due to its rarity, though I hope to remedy that at some point. This is the Military Medical Order (Militär-Sanitäts-Orden).
(From www.home.att.net)

I can't find anything on bavaria's Military.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
07-26-2007, 11:11
I'm very sorry to inform you that I'll be away for about ten days. If you could wait for me to return, it would be great. If not, then feel free to replace me if you so wish. My sincere appologies for any inconvenience caused.

Ruler
Peter the Great has been our ruler since 1682. He ascended to the throne the death of his weak and sickly half brother - Ivan V. His early reign has been eventful with many wars and conquests, especially against the Ottoman Empire and the Swedes. He dreams of revolutionising our country into a modern, significant, European power - based upon the styles of the West.

Diplomatic Stances
Russia is currently at war with Sweden.
Poor relations exist with the Ottoman Empire whom we have been at war with for many years previously. Most of the fighting was over ownership of Ukraine and the Crimea. Currently, a twenty year ceasefire exists and will expire in 1719.
Attempts have been made to ally with England, The Netherlands and Brandenburg. These were cut short when a plot was launched against our ruler, Peter the Great.
We are currently allied in the "Anti-Turkish League" with Poland and Austria.

Economic strength
Russia economy is poor. Although we are a large country we have a rather small population and very few people live in our rather small towns. Our grain yields are far behind those of the West, forcing most of our population to farm rather than work in any industries. We are, however, implementing large taxes upon peasants and on similar classes to create a larger national income.

Army and Naval Organization
Peter the Great, our Tsar, has modernised our military forces to a more Western European style. Our army is 300,000 strong and is made up of men conscripted into our forces for life by our feudal system. The majority of them are, however, poorly equipped. We have one naval base which allows us access into the Black Sea.

Russia's Problems
Our country's farming output is poor and our economy is not modernised like that of the west - we are still using a form of the outdated feudal system, which is not used in most modern European countries. Also the lower classes are dissatisfied with the high taxation and lack of freedom, the state has extreme control over almost everything, which has resulted in several uprisings over the past few decades. One of which almost resulted in the fall of our dynasty. Due to our rather primitive outlook, we are considered to be a backward and outdated state. We will need to update our systems if we are to survive economically in the contemporary world - we are reassured, however, that Peter the Great and his ambitions will solve many of these problems and aid us in reforming and improving our economy and it's outdatedness.

Sorry if this isn't quite right - I can't seem to find much on Russia's history.

Franconicus
07-26-2007, 13:44
:coffeenews: My spies reported to me the strength of Bavaria and Brandenburg. Please tell me, if I am wrong!

Brandenburg-Preußen:

Army in peacetime: 7,000
At war: 15,000 – 30,000
(it was increased to 80,000 after 1713, but in 1700, money was tight and the army had to be reduced to 20,000.)

20% of this was cavalry; each regiment (728 men) had 5 squadrons with 2 companies; there were cuirassiers and dragoons; maybe 6,000 cavalry in total

Infantry: 20 regiments (one regiment about 1,000, I guess!)

Kurbrandenburgische Navy:

Fregatte "Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde" (50 Kanonen)
Fregatte „Dorothea” (40 Kanonen)
Fregatte „Rother Löwe” (20 Kanonen)
Fregatte „Carolus Secundus” (50 Kanonen)
Fregatte „Kurprinz von Brandenburg”
Fregatte „Chur Prinz” (36 Kanonen)
Fregatte „Morian”
Fregatte „Wappen von Brandenburg”
Yacht „Bracke”
Yacht „Große Jacht”
„Wasserhund”
Fregatte „Berlin“ (15 Kanonen)
„Fuchs” (20 Kanonen) „Einhorn” (12 Kanonen)
„Printz Ludwig” (10 Kanonen) „Falke” (4 Kanonen)
„Jean Baptista” (4 Kanonen) „Marie” (4 Kanonen)
„Spandau” (4 Kanonen)
„Stern” (6 Kanonen)
„Princesse Maria” (12 Kanonen)

Colonies:
A base at the Gold Coast: Fort Groß Friedrichsburg; from there the Brandenburgische Afrikanische Handelskompanie shipped slaves to St. Thomas in the Westindies (belonged to Denmark!).

Bavaria:

7 regiments Infantry (about 7,000 men)
3 regiments cuirassiers (about 2,000)
3 regiments dragoons (about 2,000)

And this is latest news from France. Tell me if you find more! :7fortuneteller:

A - La Maison du Roi 13,500 in total

Les Gardes du Corps (4 companies with 400 men)
Les Gendarmes de la Garde et les Chevau-légers (2 companies with 250 men each)
Les Mousquetaires (2 companies – gris et noir – with 250 chevalier in each company)
Le Grenadier à Cheval (1 company with 100 recruits – they will become grenadier officers later)
Les Guardes Francaises (1 regiment with 6 battalions, 32 companies with 300 men each, in total 9,600 men, recruits came from Paris only!)
Les Guardes Suisses (1 regiment with two battalions, 12 companies à 200 men; 2,400 men in total, recruits come from the 13 Swiss cantons)

B - Infantry: in total 380,000 (which grew up to 800,000 in war)

285 regiments à 1 – 4 battalions (400 - 500 men) à 13 companies (1 grenadier and 12 mosquetaires)

this included also several regiments etrangere (Wallons, Allemands, Suisses, Irlandais, Italien)

Milice had 100 battalions, had to defend interior and replace casualties of the regulars.

C - Cavalry

La Gendarmerie de France
16 companies divided in 8 squadrons:
• gendarmes Ecossais avec les gendarmes anglais
• gendarmes bourguignons avec les gendarmes de Flandres
• gendarmes de la Reine avec les chevau-légers de la Reine
• gendarmes du Dauphin avec les chevau-légers du Dauphin
• gendarmes de Berry avec les chevau-légers de Berry
• gendarmes de Monsieur avec les chevau-légers de Monsieur
• gendarmes d'Artois avec les chevau-légers d'Artois
• gendarmes d'Orléans avec les chevau-légers d'Orléans
First 4 squadrons were Royal and formed la grande gendarmerie.
During peace each company had 80 men, during war 160 (-> in total 1280 to 2560)
Les Regiments de Cavalerie:
15 Regiments: (Aubusson, Chastelet, Commissaire General, Conty, Fitzjames, Mestre de camp Général, Noailles, Pons, Royal Cavalerie, Royal Roussillon, Cossé, Cuirassiers du Roi, La Feronnayes, Royal Carabiniers, Souastre)

D - Dragoons:

35 regiments (maybe 25,000)

E - Artillery:

Royale-Artillerie (1regiment=6 battalions=30 companies à 55 hommes, in total 1,650)
Plus 2 companies bombardiers

Cannons:
• canon de France de 33 £
• demi canon d'Espagne de 24£ long
• quart de canon d'Espagne de 12£ long
• quart de canon de France de 8 £
• la moyenne de 4 £
• le fauconneau de 1/4 L
• la pièce de 8 £ courte
• la pièce de 4 £ courte
• les mortiers de : 6,7,8,9,10,11,12 et 18 pouces
An artillery battalion comprises companies of gunners, pioneers and workers.

F – Troupes Legere –Hussards et Companies franches:
There are more than 90 companies called ompanies franches. They are a mixture of grenadiers and dragoons. Combat strength was between 50 and 450.

Some where more important like les Compagnies du Languedoc with 6 battalions, which served as mountain troops in Spain and Italy.

Fortresses
France's frontiers are protected by hundreds of fortesses. Many of them are built by the genius Vauban, including

Antibes (Fort Carré), Arras, Auxonne, Barraux, Bayonne, Belfort, Bergues, Besançon, Bitche, Blaye, Briançon, Bouillon, Calais, Cambrai, Colmars-les-Alpes, Collioure, Douai, Entrevaux, Givet, Gravelines, Huningue, Joux, Kehl, Landau, La Rochelle, Le Quesnoy, Lille, Lusignan, Le Perthus (Fort de Bellegarde), Luxembourg, Maastricht, Maubeuge, Metz, Mont-Dauphin, Mont-Louis, Montmédy, Namur, Neuf-Brisach, Perpignan, Plouezoc'h (Château du Taureau), Rocroi, Saarlouis, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Saint-Omer, Sedan, Toul, Valenciennes, Verdun, Villefranche-de-Conflent (town and Fort Liberia), Ypres

He directed the building of 37 new fortresses, and fortified military harbours, including Ambleteuse, Brest, Dunkerque, Freiburg im Breisgau, Rochefort, Saint-Jean-de-Luz (Fort Socoa), Saint-Martin-de-Ré, Toulon, Wimereux, Le Portel, Cézembre

NAVY

68 ships:
11 with less than 50 guns
41 with less 70 guns
15 with less than 100 guns
1 with more than 100 guns (La Reine 104)
During the past 50 years France has made a lot of effort to improve the navy and the infrastructure. There is a new shipyard at Rocheford, another one at Brest, there is a new harbor at Cherbourg, Brest was made bigger; Dunkirk was bought.

DoH: I can send you the names of the ships, if you want to use them in your stories (only if you promise to mention them as winners, not as victims!!)

Stig
07-26-2007, 15:20
gah, I just typed Holland out entirely but deleted it.

Will have to do it again, will post it later.

Lord Winter
07-26-2007, 16:50
Sorry if this isn't quite right - I can't seem to find much on Russia's history. Thats fine, If I remember correctly you are not at war with the Ottomans having signed a 20 year size fire after your war to gain Azov.

Also omanes, your okay with your vacation, you can pick it up were we stoped.

Is there a set date to start this or is it just until everyone finishes their searching? Also, if anyone has any information on the diplomatic situation or navy size of Brandenburg-Prussia could I have a link or PM message?

I'll proably start next weakend. If you can't find any information don't worry about it.

You may want to look at this: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/frederick_william1.htm

King Jan III Sobieski
07-26-2007, 17:01
I've started on my research; should have some later tonight...after I leave work:laugh4:

:egypt:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
07-26-2007, 18:18
Thanks DoH for your tolerance. I've updated my original post with the information which you supplied. I appreciate it.

SwordsMaster
07-26-2007, 20:05
If Russia is still free, I'll take it...

Lord Winter
07-26-2007, 22:22
Swordsmaster, Russia is taken by Omanes, however we still need an england and an Sweden.

Don Corleone
07-26-2007, 22:31
Swordsmaster, Russia is taken by Omanes, however we still need an england and an Sweden.

If Banquo isn't taking Sweden, I'll take them, but I thought he was taking them.

Lord Winter
07-26-2007, 22:34
If Banquo isn't taking Sweden, I'll take them, but I thought he was taking them.

He hasn't claimed them in the thread yet. If he does he's welcome to it. I'll let you to sort it out meanwhile, I'll reserve Sweden.

EDIT: Franc, Excellent order of battle

Banquo's Ghost
07-27-2007, 08:55
He hasn't claimed them in the thread yet. If he does he's welcome to it. I'll let you to sort it out meanwhile, I'll reserve Sweden.

No, go ahead and give Sweden to the Don as originally planned. I was tempted by Russia because I know a bit about that period in their history, but it was already taken by the time I showed up.

I'm happy to read and follow the interactive. Sorry to have caused perturbations.

:bow:

Tran
07-27-2007, 10:38
It won't! If memory serves, you're going to die soon :cry:
Very well, and also as DoH's request, I'll play England...

Don Corleone
07-27-2007, 11:51
Okay, Sweden it is. I'll have my summary ready later today. Question... do I have to role play like Charles XII, or can I actually try to win?

Franconicus
07-27-2007, 12:02
Try it, my friend, try it! :yes:

Then all positions are filled except Spain. Maybe Swordsmaster can do it. At least he knows the country and the history quite well!

This is what I found about the Danish and Swedish fleet at the beginning of the Great Northern War:
Sweden had a fleet of 38 ships-of-the-line and 12 frigates, Denmark had 33 ships-of-the-line and 7 frigates

Tran
07-27-2007, 12:32
Then all positions are filled except Spain. Maybe Swordsmaster can do it. At least he knows the country and the history quite well![/B]
Negative :no:

DoH told me that Spain will be non-player faction

SwordsMaster
07-27-2007, 17:08
Try it, my friend, try it! :yes:

Then all positions are filled except Spain. Maybe Swordsmaster can do it. At least he knows the country and the history quite well!

This is what I found about the Danish and Swedish fleet at the beginning of the Great Northern War:
Sweden had a fleet of 38 ships-of-the-line and 12 frigates, Denmark had 33 ships-of-the-line and 7 frigates

Spain was going to be the original choice, but I thought it was taken...

If at all possible, I'd like Spain and Philippe V D'Anjou.

Lord Winter
07-27-2007, 20:00
Well the reason I decided on Spain be a NPF is he has a full 8 months untill ethier france or Austria gets the throne as a puppet. If I'm wrong please correct me Swordsmaster, I know you know more about spain then I do.

Meanwhile Banquno and Swordsmaster I'll put you on the replacement list in case anyone has to drop out.

SwordsMaster
07-27-2007, 20:21
Well the reason I decided on Spain be a NPF is he has a full 8 months until ethier France or Austria gets the throne as a puppet. If I'm wrong please correct me Swordsmaster, I know you know more about spain then I do.

Meanwhile Banquno and Swordsmaster I'll put you on the replacement list in case anyone has to drop out.

Not quite:

Actually one of the conditions of the treaty of Utrecht that ended the war was that France and Spain couldn't ever be in personal union, although they have been allied during the war.

They waged war independently as allies, and obviously a puppet of Austria would have been impossible, since they fought as enemies.

Philippe was recognised in most of Spain and France, since he was the man mentioned in Charles II will.

Franconicus
07-27-2007, 21:12
Yes, and he was the legal heir, too. The Spanish King had no children. However, he had two sisters. According law, the throne had to go to the son of his oldest sister - Phillipe.

07-27-2007, 22:21
I'll post my ASAP. I won't be on tomarrow, Saturday, so I post my Sunday.

cegorach
07-27-2007, 22:42
Good luck to anyone playing Poland - it was definetely the worst time in its history, so immense skills or bluffing all the time will only work here...:book:

Caius
07-27-2007, 23:30
I will be England, as seeing that slot its not ocupiied.

Sorry, I didnt see twas ocuppied.

Lord Winter
07-28-2007, 07:24
obviously a puppet of Austria would have been impossible, since they fought as enemies.

But if Austria had won the throne for the Archduke Duke Charles it could have happened, (although not quite a puppet, but they would have heavy influence,)
Spain is yours if you wish

Inca England is taken by Tran, I just havn't updated the list, I'll put you second in the waiting list.

I will be out of town starting tomamrow untill friday, I plan to have the first chapter out the following weakend.

SwordsMaster
07-28-2007, 12:21
But if Austria had won the throne for the Archduke Duke Charles it could have happened, (although not quite a puppet, but they would have heavy influence,)
Spain is yours if you wish

Inca England is taken by Tran, I just havn't updated the list, I'll put you second in the waiting list.

I will be out of town starting tomamrow untill friday, I plan to have the first chapter out the following weakend.

Fabulous! Feel free to represent the dividedness of opinions by creating civil war opportunities and such, but I think you are right considering Spain not puppeted by any other powers

Some bits of info:

King: Philip V Bourbon, Duke of Anjou.
Philip was born at Versailles. He was made the Duke of Anjou upon his birth. He was the second son of Louis, le Grand Dauphin. In the year 1700, the King of Spain, Charles II, died. Charles' will named the 17-year old Philip, the grandson of Charles' sister Maria Theresa of Spain, as his successor.

Allies:
France and (not yet consolidated) Bourbon Spain were allied with Bavaria, Cologne and Savoy (which switched sides in 1703)

Important Figures:
Giulio Alberoni

He was very active in furthering the accession of the French candidate for the throne of Spain, Philip V. Two years later, Vendôme having died in the interval, Alberoni was appointed consular agent for Parma at Philip's court, where he was the royal favourite, being raised at the same time to the dignity of count. On his arrival at Madrid he found the princesse des Ursins all but omnipotent with the king, and for a time he judged it expedient to use her influence in carrying out his plans. Upon the death of the Queen (Maria Luisa of Savoy), Alberoni in concert with La Trémoille arranged for a marriage in 1714 between the widowed King and Elisabetta Farnese, daughter of the Duke of Parma.

The influence of the new queen being actively exerted on Alberoni's behalf, within not much more than a year he was made a duke and grandee of Spain, a member of the king's council, appointed bishop of Málaga, and in 1715 prime minister, and was made cardinal by Pope Clement XI, under pressure from the court of Spain, in July 1717. His vigorous internal policy mixed the economic reforms of Colbert for Louis XIV with some conservative Spanish aspects: a regular mail service to the Americas was instituted, yet the school of navigation he founded was reserved for the sons of the nobility. By a series of decreees in 1717, Alberoni reduced the powers of the grandees in royal councils. His main purpose was to produce an economic revival in Spain by abolishing internal custom-houses, throwing open the trade of the Indies and reorganizing the finances along lines that had been established by the French economist Jean Orry.

Blas de Lezo y Olavarrieta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blas_de_Lezo)

José Patiño

The Patiño family were strong supporters of the Bourbon dynasty in the War of the Spanish Succession. The elder brother Baltasar, afterwards marquis of Castelar, had a distinguished career as a diplomatist, and his son Lucas was a general of some note. José Patiño, who had been intended for the priesthood but adopted a secular career, was granted the reversion of a seat in the senate of Milan on the accession of Phillip V in 1700. but on the loss of the duchy he was transferred to Spain, and put on the governing body of the military orders in 1707.

During the War of Succession he served as intendant of Extremadura, and then of Catalonia from 1711 to 1718. In 1717 he was named intendant of the navy, which had just been reorganized on the French model. His capacity and his faculty for hard work secured him the approval of Alberoni, with whom, however, he was never on very friendly terms in private life. Patiño's Italian education, which affected his Spanish style, and caused him to fall into Italianisms all through his life, may have served to recommend him still further.

José Carrillo de Albornoz, duque de Montemar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Carrillo_de_Albornoz%2C_duque_de_Montemar)

Antonio de Gaztañeta

He was a Spanish Vice-Admiral who commanded the Spanish Mediterranean fleet.

Francisco Castillo Fajardo, 2nd Marquis of Villadarias (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Castillo_Fajardo%2C_Marquis_of_Villadarias)

James FitzJames, 1st Duke of Berwick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_FitzJames%2C_1st_Duke_of_Berwick)

Marie-Anne de la Trémoille, Princesse des Ursins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie-Anne_de_la_Tr%C3%A9moille%2C_princesse_des_Ursins

Elizabeth Farnese
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisabeth_of_Parma)

Luis Manuel Fernández de Portocarrero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Manuel_Fern%C3%A1ndez_de_Portocarrero)

Navy:
In 1697, Spain has "Few warships, several galleons, and 15 galleys in the Mediterranean.
In 1712 Spain has 23 ships of the line of over 50 cannon, and a large number of frigates and auxiliary vessels.
in 1736, there were 34 ships of the line of over 60 cannon, only one of 3 bridges (Real Felipe), all of very resistant construction, combining the best of the french and english engineering (according to the Spanish navy website).

More here (http://www.todoababor.es/datos_docum/estad_1737.htm)

The fleet contained a large number of galleys and bombardas (2 mast vessels equipped with 2 very large caliber mortars that allowed for efficient bombardment of fortifications, and defense against land troops).

Army:
No information yet

Marshal Murat
07-28-2007, 14:44
The closest I have to allies for Prussia-Brandenburg is the Alliance against the French.

Stig
07-29-2007, 16:19
The Republic of the Seven United Netherlands

Economy:

At this time The Republic is still one of the richest countries in the world. All the Dutch money comes from their colonies in both West and East India.
In India the Republic has colonies on the islands of the Indonesian archipelago and Ceylon. Here it makes good money of trade in spices, bringing it back to Europe to sell to the many countries that don't have colonies.
The Republic also has a small colony at the Cape of Good Hope. Every ship going East has to pass this point and with this the Republic can control the trade to the East would they want it.
In the West the Republic has colonies in Guyana and Suriname, here too it makes more than good money from trade. It also has smaller colonies on numerous islands in the Caribbean.
Here it also makes good money from slavetrade, being one of the few that does this. It has a small colony on the Gold Coast to import slaves from and from their slaves are brought to the New World.
The trade is done by the Dutch India Companies, the VOC and the WIC.

Military:

Because of the dangers facing the Republic it always has an strong army ready to fight. The army exists of 90,000 professional soldiers, but the numbers most of the time stays the same in peace and war. The Republic doesn't have the manpower to call on a big army during wartime and mainly relies on it's professional army.
The main Dutch strenght is in it's navy. The time of the great commanders, De Ruyter, Hein and Tromp and Tromp is over however the navy is still strong. It's divided in 5 Admiralties; Maze (Rotterdam), Amsterdam, Friesland, Noorderkwartier and Vlissingen. The navy can field a total of over 100 ships, some of which big heavy lineships, and even some with 100 cannons.
The Navy is the most important employer in the Republic, not only are there the 5 Admiralties, next to that there is the VOC and the WIC, these too have a few own warships.

[I'm doing this in parts, as last time I accidently deleted everything, more to be edited in]

07-30-2007, 02:32
I can't find alot of info about Austia, anyone know good websites for me to look at??

King Jan III Sobieski
07-30-2007, 03:58
I too, shall be posting mine in two or three parts.

History of Poland
The time after the end of the Thirty Years' War is generally considered a time of decline for Poland. Its constitution at the time is generally considered to be weak, and many of its rulers shared this weakness. The last major triumph for the nation came with the lifting of the Siege of Vienna in 1683 via the leadership of Jan III Sobieski. Poland's important role in aiding the European alliance to roll back the Ottoman Empire was rewarded with some territory in Podole by the Treaty of Karlowicz (1699). However, the succeeding decades were marked by increased foreign interferance. Frederick Augustus I, Elector of Saxony and King of Poland (aka Augustus II the Strong), King of Poland from 1697 – 1706, and 1709 – 1 February 1733, involved Poland in Peter the Great's war with Sweden, incurring another round of occupation and devastation by the Swedes between 1704 and 1710.

Tran
07-30-2007, 14:29
This map of Europe at 1700 might help?

http://www.euratlas.net/PHA/history_europe/europe_map_1700.jpg
Or alternatively this one:https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/Western_Europe_1700.jpg

Franconicus
07-30-2007, 14:38
Excellent maps!

This one may help too:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Nouvelle-France1750.png

DoH: Will there be an end of the game, a year when the story reaches its end? Will there be targets for the players?

Franconicus
07-30-2007, 15:04
[QUOTE=Franconicus]Excellent maps!

This one may help too:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Nouvelle-France1750.png

Besides La Nouvelle France, these are my colonies:

As the French empire in North America expanded, the French also began to build a smaller but more profitable empire in the West Indies. Settlement along the South American coast in what is today French Guiana began in 1624, and a colony was founded on Saint Kitts in 1625 (the island had to be shared with the English until the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713, when it was ceded outright). The Compagnie des Îles de l'Amérique founded colonies in Guadeloupe and Martinique in 1635, and a colony was later founded on Saint Lucia by (1650). The food-producing plantations of these colonies were built and sustained through slavery, with the supply of slaves dependent on the African slave trade. Local resistance by the indigenous peoples resulted in the Carib Expulsion of 1660.

The most important Caribbean colonial possession did not come until 1664, when the colony of Saint-Domingue (today's Haiti) was founded on the western half of the Spanish island of Hispaniola. In the 18th century, Saint-Domingue grew to be the richest sugar colony in the Caribbean.

French colonial expansion was not limited to the New World, however. In Senegal in West Africa, the French began to establish trading posts along the coast in 1624. In 1664, the French East India Company was established to compete for trade in the east. Colonies were established in India in Chandernagore in Bengal (1673) and Pondicherry in the Southeast (1674). Colonies were also founded in the Indian Ocean, on the Île de Bourbon (Réunion, 1664).

Tran
07-30-2007, 15:27
Kingdom of England (in personal union with Scotland and United Netherlands/Provinces)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/Armoiries_Grande-Bretagne_1603.png

William III held England and the UP in a personal union, but it would be silly to say it formed one state. This would only have been the case if William had been an absolute monarch. On the other had we see that in the era of William III the armies and some leaders of it had become intertwined. Though William's death in 1702 would severe all formal ties, their common interests created a lot of goodwill and by it a very intense co-operation.

In this war we see them jointly hiring troops and bringing allies into the war and supporting them through subsidy treaties. To foreign politicians they appeared as a confederacy nicknamed the 'seapowers'. This close co-operation rested primarily on the co-operation between Heinsius and Marlborough that had already started before William's death. In their correspondence we can see them jointly directing foreign policy and coordinating the war effort of the two nations. John Churchill, later made Duke of Marlborough would also become the military leader of the joint armies (see 1702 for particulars). This is why 'the seapowers' continued to exist as an entity in international politics.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/Portrait_of_William_III%2C_%281650-1702%29.jpg/478px-Portrait_of_William_III%2C_%281650-1702%29.jpg

Since the peace treaty of Rijswijk in 1697 the position of William's Junto ministers had considerably weakened. From that time William and his government had been attacked on issues such as the size of the army, the influence of foreigners (Dutchmen and Huguenots) at his court, and his grants to his favorites. By the 1699-1700 session of Parliament it was clear that it would no longer be possible to govern with the Junto ministers.

The hostility of this parliament as long as the Junto was in power showed itself in many ways. From the start it had busied itself with an investigation into William's land grants in Ireland, and tacking it to a tax-bill. To the modern observer this might seem to have been a noble cause, but it was not. The Whig defense of the king was that if parliament was in anyway sincere it should also investigate the grants made in the reign (James's) that had been declared illegal. It did not and the Commons soon showed to be after the booty for itself. Anyway, a law annulling the grants of William was soon in the making. The insistence on the irresponsible reduction of the army was another affair that given its theoretic foundation (a standing army was seen as a tool of absolutism) can be explained as directed against the king. To top it of the Commons petitioned on 10 April 1700 that William should evict all foreigners from his councils. William did however get something useful out of 1699-1700 session, and that was the Common's ratification of the second partition treaty in March 1700. However sharply Portland and others were attacked for signing it without their knowledge. William was probably quite sick and tired of the Commons when he prorogued parliament on 11 April.

Perceiving the fact that his government would sink to impotence if he did not appoint Tories to take responsibility in government, William was prepared to change his course signaled by Somers dismissal. This became even more necessary when Queen Anne's only child died in July, overthrowing all plans for his and Anne's succession, and opening up perspectives for the pretender. After his return from the United Provinces in October 1700, William then held talks with Godolphin, Harley and Rochester. In these it was probably decided to appoint bring the Tories into the ministry, to make a new settlement for the succession, and to make some constitutional changes. When Philip of Anjou was proclaimed as king Felipe V of Spain on 16 November 1700 parliament was not willing to go to war. This probably had a lot to do with the financial troubles that had originated from the previous war. Parliament was thus all to willing to be reassured by Louis XIV's reassurances of not uniting the two empires, and Louis' envoys reported that the England would recognize Felipe V. Parliament was then dissolved on 19 December 1700

The English army

Short history of the English Army
From 1660 to 1684

Britain is an island and therefore has always had far more need for a strong fleet than for an army. For a long time this circumstance had naturally stiffened the English Parliament in its opposition to the idea of a standing army. The English Army was therefore of a quite recent creation. Apart from Cromwell's New Model Army the traditions of the British Army go back to 1660 when the Commons authorized the raising of a standing army to protect the restored King Charles II. This was the composition of the English army from 1660 till 1685:

* First Foot Guards, formed in 1656 by combining two older regiments 1)
* The Lord General's Regiment of Foot Guards, which had been Monck's Regiment of Foot of the NMA

* Royal Regiment of Foot, which returned to England for the restoration, Renamed to 1st Foot in 1751
* The Tangier Regiment was raised in 1661, In 1663 it absorbed two others Renamed to 2nd Foot in 1751
* The Holland regiment was formed in 1665 from English troops serving the Dutch. Renamed to 3rd Foot in 1751
* The 2nd Tangier regiment was raised in 1680. Renamed to 4th foot in 1751

* Four troops of Horse Guards (4th disbanded in 1683)

* The Earl of Oxford's Regiment, this was a cavalry unit of the NMA which became the Royal Horse Guards Blue in 1750
* The Tangier Horse, formed in 1661, in 1751 named 1st Regiment of Dragoons

From 1685 to 1688

The Monmouth rebellion was the opportunity James II needed to raise a larger army. He raised 9 new infantry regiments and 7 cavalry regiments. Raising extra regiments in times of crisis had been done before, but this time James succeeded in holding on to these extra units. The British army had become a serious military force after these units had been added:

* The Royal Regt of Fuzileers, in 1751 renamed to 7 Foot
* The Princess Anne of Denmark's Regiment, in 1751 renamed to 8 Foot
* Henry Cornewall's Regiment of Foot, in 1751 renamed to 9 Foot
* The Earl of Bath's Regiment, in 1751 renamed to 10 Foot
* The Duke of Beaufort's Regiment of Foot, in 1751 renamed to 11 Foot
* The Duke of Norfolk's Regiment of Foot, in 1751 renamed to 12 Foot
* Earl of Huntingdon's Regiment of Foot, in 1751 renamed to 13 Foot
* Sir Edward Hales's Regiment of Foot, in 1751 renamed to 14 Foot
* Sir William Clifton's Regiment of Foot, in 1751 renamed to 15 Foot
* The Queen's Regiment of Horse, in 1751 renamed to 1 Dragoon Guards
* Earl of Peterborough's Regiment of Horse, in 1751 renamed to 2 Dragoon Guards
* 4th Horse (Earl of Plymouth's), in 1751 renamed to 3 Dragoon Guards
* Princess Anne of Denmark's Regiment of Horse, in 1751 renamed to 4 Dragoon Regiment
* Earl of Arran's Regiment of Cuirassiers, in 1746 renamed to 1 (Irish) Horse
* Shrewsbury's Horse, in 1746 renamed to 2 (Irish) Horse
* Duke of Somerset's Regiment of Dragoons, in 1751 renamed to 1 Dragoon Regiment

From 1688 to 1697

After the Glorious Revolution William III enlarged the army still further and began to engage it in serious warfare. The first pitched battle the English Army fought in Ireland was the battle of the Boyne. Here at least 15 infantry and 11 cavalry regiments fought the French and Irish. Other major engagements were the siege of Athlone and the battle of Aughrim. On the continent units were fighting in the war of the League of Augsburg. Here they fought in the battles of Walcourt, Steenkirk and Neerwinden and the 1695 siege of Namur. By the time of the peace of Rijswijk in 1697 England had a considerable and experienced army.

From 1697 to 1702

After the peace of Rijswijk parliament was bent on economizing. In December 1697 it stated that the English Army should count 7,000 men, the army in Ireland would count 12,000 men and that all regiments should consist of native Englishmen 2). Roughly this meant that excepting the abovementioned regiments all troops would be dismissed. It also meant dismissing 6 Scotch regiments (Lauder, Murray, Colyear, Strathnaver, Mackay and Hamilton), the Brandenburg Regiment, The Gardes du Corps (Blue Guard) and the (Dutch) Horse Guards, all of which returned to Dutch establishment. Especially cold hearted was the dismissal of the Huguenot regiments that had fought so valiantly for England.

Though the dismissal of the foreign troops was indeed executed we cannot be so sure about the native troops. Of the native English infantry regiments that William III had erected (later 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23, 24, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32) we find that most still existed in 1751, even though 5 had been disbanded for a time. This of course says nothing about the strength of these regiments or the number of companies they contained. Anyway, to me the actual effect of the Commons' dictate seems to have been somewhat less dramatic than one would expect.

The English Army in 1702

When the crisis of the Spanish Succession escalated the Commons were of course somewhat more motivated to invest in the army. Recently disbanded regiments were hastily reformed and new ones established. This meant that on 1 January 1702 the English army was composed like this: (Look here for an exact Order of Battle 3))

* The Household Cavalry; consisting of 5 independent troops and 1 regiment
* The Guards; consisting of 2 regiments of Foot Guards
* The Cavalry consisting of 12 Dragoon Regiments
* The Infantry consisting of 22 Foot regiments (14 regiments would be added in 1702)

Obviously the information is incomplete, and I might update them once I have found reliable sources
OOC: It looks like I'm going to have uneasy time with France ~;)

Stig
07-30-2007, 15:46
OOC: It looks like I'm going to have uneasy time with France
Same here, but luckely you have the land force, while the Dutch have the ubernavy.

Tho 2 years into the game Willem III will die, breaking the alliance the Republic and England ... tho in real they stayed allied.

Tran
07-30-2007, 15:52
Same here, but luckely you have the land force, while the Dutch have the ubernavy.

Tho 2 years into the game Willem III will die, breaking the alliance the Republic and England ... tho in real they stayed allied.

A. Each turn will be three months of real time.
Well, eight turns are long enough before things start to get nasty.

But it's alternate history anyway, so who knows what might happen? :yes:

seireikhaan
07-30-2007, 20:25
Would anyone happen to know where I could find an OOB for the Ottomans? I've found some decent 'generic' stuff, but I'm having trouble finding specifics.

Marshal Murat
07-30-2007, 22:02
I also think the UK has Highland regiments as well.

Franconicus
07-31-2007, 07:00
Kingdom of England (in personal union with Scotland and United Netherlands/Provinces)

OOC: It looks like I'm going to have uneasy time with France ~;)

Do not worry, noble King of England and Scotland! France is a peaceloving country and so is Her King, Louis Le Grand. :sunny:

==================================================

Some information about the Ottomanian military:

The total strength is about 320,000 men.

The Ottoman Army is divided into:
- Central Troops at the Sublime Porte or directly under the command of the Porte (kapikulu) – 120,000
- Troops of the Provinces (ejalet askeri) – 200,000

In former decades, the vast majority of the army had been light cavalry from the Provinces. Lately, the share of the central troops has been increased significantly. Main body is the Janitschar infantry. This made the army much less mobile than it had been before.

CENTRAL TROOPS
Central Guard Cavalry (about 15,000):

6 different guard regiments (alti bölük haki), composed of socalled bölük, of 1,000 soldiers. Each bölük had companies (ortas) with 60 - 100 soldiers..

1. Guard Regiment: Sipahi – 7,800 men
2. Guard Regiment: Silahdare - 6,000 men
3. Guard Regiment: Ulufeciyani jemin (mercs of the right wing) – 2,000
4. Guard Regiment: Ulufeciyani jessari (mercs of the left wing) – 1,500
5. Guard Regiment: Gurebai jessari (foreigners of the right wing) – 1,000
6. Guard Regiment: Gurebai jessari (foreigners of the left wing) – 1,000

Central Guard Infantry (Janitschar) – 80,000
Divided in three unequal divisions:
cemmat (the core of the Janitschars)
sekban (dog watchers)
hellebardiere (guard)

cebeci: arm smiths – about 6,000

topci – artillery: 10,000 men

top arabaci – transport of the cannons – 3,000 men

kumbaradci – miniers – 1,000 men

Troops of the Provinces ((ejalet askeri)
Cavalry: (155,000)

Spahis: 15,000 (these were soldiers, that had a feud)
Cebelis: 70,000 (each Spahi had to pay cebelis, these had extreme low quality)
Tartars: 70,000 light cavalry without fire arms from the Crimea
Mameluks: cavalry of former slaves in Egypt

Infantry of the Provinces
Azaps: 30,000 light infantry, often used as garrison or on ships
Many others

Don Corleone
07-31-2007, 15:45
:sweden: :sweden: :sweden: :sweden: :sweden: :sweden: :sweden: :sweden:

Of the Swedish Empire and her noble rulers, the Vasa Dynasty

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/tharris00/Sweden-lesser-coa.png

Sweden is a rich land that occupies a large portion of the Scandinavian peninsula. It is bordered by Norway to the West and Denmark to the South (across the Skanerag) . In 1700, Sweden had holdings around the Baltic, including most of Livonia, Karelia, Ingria, Estonia, Upper Pomerania, parts of lower Pomerania, the Isle of Wollin (with the right to all of Lower Pomerania, should the Hohenzollerns of Brandenburg expire). We also control access to the 3 major rivers in Northern Germany: the Oder, the Elbe and the Weser. In addition, we have a vote in the Imperial Diet of the Holy Roman Empire, and along with France, we stand as co-guarantors of the Treaty of Westphalia.

We have no alliances per se, but we are always friendly with France and lately have found friends among the Ottomans. We have recently defeated Denmark. We also have long standing feuds simmering with Saxony and Russia. Occasionally, hostilities erupt with Poland and or Prussia.

Wealth-wise, the Swedish crown enjoys great wealth, due to the rich natural resources of Sweden itself as well as our new holdings. We've also benefited from an extended period of autocracy, backed by the will of the people (in the form of the Riksdag, or Swedish parliament). This means that nobles freuently see their fiefs returned to the state, and those that hold their lands do so tenuously, and pay heavy taxes. Sweden's resources include timber, furs and metal ores.

The Swedish navy is modern and new, headquarted at Karlskrona. Our fleet boasts a total of 43 ships, manned by 11,000 men and over 2648 guns, one of the most powerful in the world.

Our army is relatively small but highly trained and skilled. Sweden maintains one of the best standing professional armies in Europe, and we have drilled our men to a point where they can maintain the highest rate of fire of any European army. The standing army in 1700 remains at 77,000. Morale of the troops is second to none.

And course, there's our secret weapon, the Bikini Team. :laugh4:

Our principal problems include: for controlling so much territory, we have a rather small population; almost all of our neighbors hate us and conspire together to deprive us of our glorious empire; our young king (Charles XII) who while tactically gifted, is an utter imbecile at long term strategy and diplomacy.

Tran
08-01-2007, 00:43
Do not worry, noble King of England and Scotland!
You forgot Netherlands! :no: Our minions friends might take that as insult

Some information about the Ottomanian military:
Is that so? What do your spies know about our glorious kingdom then? :wink2:

seireikhaan
08-01-2007, 02:22
Ok, one question: we will have to deal with some non-playable factions in our efforts, right? If so, I'm assuming that we would conduct diplomacy with them via DoH. Am I correct in this thought process?

Franconicus
08-01-2007, 09:11
Is that so? What do your spies know about our glorious kingdom then? - more than you might want to know ~;)

:coffeenews: This is the latest (and propably) last report of my intelligence:

NAVIES:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_line_of_Spain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_line_of_Italy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Swedish_ships_of_the_line
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_galleons_of_Spain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Spanish_sail_frigates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_line_of_Russia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_line_of_the_Dutch_Republic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_sail_frigates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_French_sail_frigates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Portuguese_naval_ships

Northern war:
Sweden:
could field about 100,000 soldiers (including mercenaries) oh highest quality and equipment; best part was the cavalry, that did not bother firing their pistols but charged everything
Navy: between 38 and 42 ships-of-the-line and 12 fregates with total number of guns 2,700 cannons

Denmark:
35,000 soldiers, 33 ships-of-the-line and 7 frigates

Kursachsen: 30,000 soldiers

Poland: no permanent army

Russia: in a phase of restructuring; at the beginning of the war, the Russians won’t be able to deploy more than 35,000 soldiers (plus peasants etc. for work and supply). Not enough guns!

Stig
08-01-2007, 09:32
Nice list with ships Franc, however there are far more ships than just ships of the line

Franconicus
08-01-2007, 10:31
Nice list with ships Franc, however there are far more ships than just ships of the line
Right! Please do not heitate to list them. ~:cheers:

By the way, the list includes ships with more than 30 cannons. I do not think that smaller ships did play an important role in the 18th century naval warfare. Maybe fire ships, I do not know. Of course there are also merchant ships, but I do not have a clue about them.

Stig
08-01-2007, 10:40
Well I know the Dutch had loads of smaller ships, mainly to suit some support role. They were quicker as well.

Franconicus
08-01-2007, 11:05
Well I know the Dutch had loads of smaller ships, mainly to suit some support role. They were quicker as well.

Well, I remember! Tourville mentioned it when he gave the reports of Beachy Head and Lagos. He said that the Dutch ships were quicker - err - inflamed. ~;)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c3/Battle_of_Beachy_Head_10%2C_July_1690.jpg

Don Corleone
08-01-2007, 16:37
:sweden:

A summary of the Swedish army (navy was given above) at the onset of the war.

The Swedish army is comprised of two types of troops: Indelinsverket and Varvade (uhmlaut on first a).

The Indelnsverket was the backbone of the Swedish army. Unlike most European nations that conscripted peasants in an ad hoc fashion, Sweden instituted a system where each province had to provide a regiment of regular infantry (1200 men each) and some also had to provide a regiment of cavalry (1000 men each). Unlike peasant conscripts, these men were professional soldiers for most of their lives. The men themselves were provided by the local 'rote' or military ward. Basicially, to avoid conscription, each large farm agreed to provide a full-time soldier. When the soldier wasn't busy with soldiering, he came home and lived in his own house, provided by the rote. Sweden raised 20 infantry regiments and all 8 of its cavalry regiments this way.

There was also the Varvade, or the enlisted units. These provided additional infantry regiments as well as the artillery. These were hired soldiers raised by means of direct recruiting in cities and larger towns. In terms of training, there was little difference between infantry regiments raised through the allotment system versus the enlistment system.

Land Forces:

In 1700 (outbreak of hostilities), Sweden commands an army of 77,000 men. During the course of the war, this number will swell to 120,000.

Infantry:

-20 regiments (1200 men each) of Indelnsverket; regional units.
-28 regiments (1200 men each) of Varvade; (guard units, grenadiers, etc).

Unlike most European nations, which were fighting in squares (rank fire), Sweden used a very aggressive tactic when in the field. Essentially, they would charge up to within 50 yards of the enemy. Their rear 2 ranks would fire. They would then run another 25 yards, where the front 2 ranks would fire. They would then charge the enemy and engage in hand to hand combat. To support this aggressive tactic, Sweden fielded all men with bayonets and 1/3 of the men actually held pikes, not rifles. When standing in squares and engaging in rank fire, Swedish infantrymen had the highest rate of fire of any troops in Europe.

total: 57,600 men

Cavalry:
-12 regiments (1000 men each)
total: 12000 men

Swedish cavalry is almost all curaisser (heavy shock) type. The Swedish army does not use dragoons (mounted infantry) and only use very little light infantry. During the course of the war, they did pick up some light infantry in the form of an alliance with the Prince of Kiev (Ukranian forces) seeking independence from Peter's Russian Empire. These were cossacks, very similar to Russian cossacks, however Sweden did not field very much in the way of light cavalry themselves.

Artillery:
-15 brigades (500 men each)
total: 7500 men

I can't find a number on the guns. I'll keep looking.

Swedish artillery is more advanced than other forms of artillery of the time. Not only have the Swedes developed more advanced metallurgical techniques, they are one of the very few armies in Europe that do not rely on civilians to transport, limber and unlimber their guns (the civilians departing for the battle, thus rendering the guns immobile). In fact, the Swedes invented horse artillery at this time. They also added side racks to the caissons, to allow 3 men per rack to move their field pieces, even after they had been unlimbered.

Regiments were only used for mustering purposes. In battle, the Swedes divide their infantry regiments into 2 battalions (600 men apiece). These were further divided into 4 companies (150 men apiece). Each battallion had its own field commander. Cavalry regiments were divided into 4 squadrons (250 men each). Each squadron had its own field commander.

King Jan III Sobieski
08-01-2007, 17:09
The first Polish Army was created in the 10th century kingdom of Poland, under Piast dynasty. The prince's forces were composed of a group of armed men, usually mounted, named drużyna. Their key role was the protection of the monarch and supporting the taxation effort. Their organisation was similar to other such armed units of other Slavic rulers, and were often of foreign origin.

Commonwealth armies were commanded by four hetmans. The armies comprised:

Wojsko kwarciane: Regular units with wages paid from taxes (these units were later merged with the wojsko komputowe)

Wojsko komputowe: Semi-regular units created for times of war (in 1652 these units were merged with the wojsko kwarciane into a new permanent army)

Pospolite ruszenie: Szlachta levée en masse Commonwealth hussarspiechota łanowa and piechota wybraniecka: Units based on peasant recruits

Registered Cossacks: Cavalry made up of Cossacks, who were recruited until 1699

Royal guard: A small unit whose primary purpose was to escort the monarch and members of his family

Mercenaries: As with most other armies, hired to supplement regular units Private armies: Usually paid for and equipped by magnates or cities.

Some units of the Commonwealth used fairly unique tactics. These units included:

Hussars: heavy cavalry armed with lances; their charges were extremely effective until advances in firearms in the late 17th century substantially increased infantry firepower.

Cossacks: general name for all Commonwealth units of light cavalry, even if they did not contain a single ethnic Cossack; fast and maneuverable like oriental cavalry units of Ottoman Empire vassals, but lacking the firepower of European cavalry such as the Swedish rajtars.

Tabor: military horse-drawn wagons, usually carrying army supplies. Their use for defensive formations was perfected by the Cossacks, and to a smaller extent by other Commonwealth units.

Still looking for numbers, I am. :wall:

Don Corleone
08-01-2007, 17:13
You've also got the Saxony army at your disposal, right King Jan? In fact, aren't you technically Augustus the Strong, a Saxon, sitting on the Polish throne?

08-01-2007, 17:31
Found some stuff about Austria

The alternative candidate was the Holy Roman Emperor, Leopold I , of the Austrian Habsburg dynasty. He was a first cousin of the King of Spain, his mother having been another sister of Philip IV; moreover, Charles II's father, Philip IV, had given the succession to the Austrian line in his will. This candidate, too, posed formidable problems, for Leopold's success would have reunited the powerful Spanish-Austrian Habsburg empire of the sixteenth century. In 1668, only three years after Charles II had ascended, the then-childless Leopold had agreed to the partition of the Spanish territories between the Bourbons and the Habsburgs, even though Philip IV's will entitled him to the entire inheritance. In 1689, however, when William III of England required the Emperor's aid in the War of the Grand Alliance against France, he promised to support the Emperor's claim to the undivided Spanish empire.

I'm guessing I'm going from Leopold the First, since he died in 1705, to Charles VI, since he was the HRE leader from 1711-1740?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_VI%2C_Holy_Roman_Emperor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Spanish_Succession

Tran
08-02-2007, 04:23
- more than you might want to know ~;)
Show me :deal2:

Franconicus
08-02-2007, 14:40
:book: Let me summarize:

The strength of the armies during peace time was in 1700 (some could be raised significantly, esp. Poland and Russia):

Austria: ???
Bavaria: 11,000
Brandenburg: 7,000
Denmark: 35,000 (+5,000 of Norway)
Dutch: 90,000
England: 25,000
France: 400,000
Kursachsen: 30,000 (Poland had no permanent army?)
Russia: 35,000
Spain: ???
Sweden: 77,000
Otto Emp.: 320,000

Stig
08-02-2007, 14:49
Note the Dutch always had 90,000 men, in peace and war.

King Jan III Sobieski
08-02-2007, 19:45
You've also got the Saxony army at your disposal, right King Jan? In fact, aren't you technically Augustus the Strong, a Saxon, sitting on the Polish throne?

Ja, ja, I am. :sweatdrop:

Marshal Murat
08-02-2007, 20:30
Franc, Poland levied troops by demand...

I would put them at 100,000 troops (possibly). Plus the Saxon infantry and artillery, which could by 30,000 men.

Polish Demographics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_demographics_of_Poland#Polish-Lithuanian_Commonwealth_.281569-1795.29)

Franconicus
08-03-2007, 08:38
Right!

So there is still Austria and Spain. Could not find anything.

So let me guess :7fortuneteller: :

Austria is certainly stronger than Bavaria or Brandenburg and certainly weaker than France. It has armies in the west, in the east and in the south. I assume that the total strength of its armies at war including contingents from its non Austrian counties should be 90,000 to 120,000.

The Austrian also command forces of the Empire. I think these came more or less from the smaler duchies, and only if those agree. I think the minor duchies (like Holstein or Hannover or Würtemberg may have around 5,000 each.

Spain does not seem to have a big army. It is no longer a superpower. The population is small, (many left the country and went to the new world) and the finances are ruined by the wars against France. The trade monopoles are breaking (slaves!!!).

My guess is that Spain has about 30,000 soldiers at Spain and another 20,000 at Italy. I guess it mayb be able to raise many militia. Additionally, it has a significant numbers of soldiers in the colonies, but these are hard to rate.

Do you have a better idea?

08-03-2007, 16:51
Right!

So there is still Austria and Spain. Could not find anything.

So let me guess :7fortuneteller: :

Austria is certainly stronger than Bavaria or Brandenburg and certainly weaker than France. It has armies in the west, in the east and in the south. I assume that the total strength of its armies at war including contingents from its non Austrian counties should be 90,000 to 120,000.

The Austrian also command forces of the Empire. I think these came more or less from the smaler duchies, and only if those agree. I think the minor duchies (like Holstein or Hannover or Würtemberg may have around 5,000 each.

Spain does not seem to have a big army. It is no longer a superpower. The population is small, (many left the country and went to the new world) and the finances are ruined by the wars against France. The trade monopoles are breaking (slaves!!!).

My guess is that Spain has about 30,000 soldiers at Spain and another 20,000 at Italy. I guess it mayb be able to raise many militia. Additionally, it has a significant numbers of soldiers in the colonies, but these are hard to rate.

Do you have a better idea?

Yea, I was able to find the Leaders of Austira and that, but can't find how big my miltiary force is and such.

Lord Winter
08-03-2007, 18:19
DoH: Will there be an end of the game, a year when the story reaches its end? Will there be targets for the players?

Yes the end date will be 1730 I will post the details of the victory conditions in a couple seconds with the rules post.

Good anylaisis of strength Franc, I think bout 100,000 plus troops from the smaller duchies would be a good estaimate for Austria. For spain I am less sure, swordsmaster should have a better idea although 50k dosn't seem to far off.

Austria: ???
Bavaria: 11,000
Brandenburg: 7,000
Denmark: 35,000 (+5,000 of Norway)
Dutch: 90,000
England: 25,000
France: 400,000
Kursachsen: 30,000 (Poland had no permanent army?)
Russia: 35,000
Spain: ???
Sweden: 77,000
Otto Emp.: 320,000

A commen number for Poland/Saxony I've heard is about 100,000 once they've got thier army mobilized and fully put in the field.

Lord Winter
08-03-2007, 18:21
Rules:

The turn will start with me posting a narration of what happened last turn. After the description I will post a series of decisions that you need to make this turn. You are welcome to use any of the suggestion that will be posted under it or make your own course of action as long as it is historically possible. You are not limited to the decision topics and may branch out and may change anything else you want. Be warned that all actions have their consequences.

Examples of actions that you will make include:

In the public thread:

A. Public declarations of war
B. Propaganda, this can effect public option in the story.
C. Changes in your government or official stances
D. Diplomacy

In PM. (Note: some info may leak)

A. Starting a war without a public declaration
B. Private diplomacy with other leaders by P.M. Note that I will play all Non Player Factions (NPF's)
C. Military plans: You can be as broad as you want (attack X city) or make complicated plans.
D. Military reforms and government reforms

Declaring a Winner

In this interactive there will be multiable winners in four different categories. Who ever holds one of these categories at the games end (1730) will be declared a winner. The categories and there current holders are:

Master of the Baltic: Sweden
Dominant Continental Power: France
Dominant Colonial Power: Holland
The power in the east: Ottomans

The master of the Baltic title will go to the most powerful nation in the Baltic sea region. This will be determined by both wealth and military might. Dominant continental power will be rewarded to the nation holding the most power and influence in Western and Central Europe. The third victory title will be measured by both the number of colonies and the wealth of the said colonies. Ability to control the trade routs between these will also be crucial in determining the winner. Lastly the power of the east is mainly focused on south-eastern Europe and will be determined by the nation with the most influence in the Balkans, Turkey and the Black Sea. Please note that it will be possible for one nation to achieve more then one of these goals. At the begaining of every year (every four turns) I will post a list updating the status of each victory condition.

Don Corleone
08-03-2007, 18:30
Question:

Right now, at the onset of the game, have Saxony/Poland, Russia and Denmark officially declared war on me, after their Treaty of Preobrazhenskoye?

Lord Winter
08-03-2007, 18:50
Offiacaly no, you are at peace. Historicaly Saxony attacks in Febuary and Denmark in march. Russia dosn't follow untill the summer.

CountArach
08-03-2007, 22:45
Kingdom of Denmark and Norway

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Frederik4.jpg
King Frederick IV of Denmark and Norway
Diplomatic Stances
The Kingdom of Denmark has recently signed the Treaty of Preobrazhenskoye with the rulers of Saxony and Russia. This is an alliance which places them opposed to the King of Sweden.

Royal Marriages
Currently Frederick has no daughters, and only one son, Christian VI who is one year old. This means he is largely unable to effect Dynastic marriages. He does however have blood relations with Charles XII of Sweden and Frederick IV, Duke of Holstein-Gottorp, who are both his First Cousins and both waged war on his father.

Claims
Apart from the territory it already owns, Denmark was always looking for a way to seize hold of Holstein-Gottorp, as well as southern Sweden.

Economy
I really can't find anything for this, except that Danish culture and trade somewhat flourished after the first part of the War.

I currently have a population of about 2/3 of a million, including Norway I blieve. This is mostly agricultural. However, I do control part of the crossing into and out of the Baltic Sea, meaning I can threaten to close the passes off if I wish.

Army
About 40 000 soldiers at this time. They are decent soldiers, but nowhere near as good as Sweden. They are armed with a flintlock weapon and a long infantry sword. There is also a small Grenadier group in the army.

Navy
I can't really find anything. It is smaller than the Swedish Navy, though it is likely to have a fiar amount of experience.

Problems
Freerick is the only known Danish King to have two wives a the same time.

08-03-2007, 23:15
I see if I can finish my Austria thing by SUnday. I can't find anything about my army online.

Lord Winter
08-03-2007, 23:30
Don't worry about it to much KingWarman, it's intented to give players some background information on the setting of the interactive before we start. You can do a decent job playing just off the information in the chapters.

Innocentius
08-03-2007, 23:54
Of the Swedish Empire and her noble rulers, the Vasa Dynasty

The last Vasa regent was Queen Kristina (1644 - 1654). Charles was of the family Pfalz (ruling Sweden since 1654), or House of Palatinate-Zweibrücken as it is in English.

Our army is relatively small

Depends on what you mean. In relation to its population, Sweden anno 1700 had the largest army in Europe.

On artillery, might I add that during the first phase of the Great Northern War (1700 - 1707) Sweden only used a minimal amount of artillery. During the Russian campaign of 1708 - 1709 a lot more artillery was used however.

08-04-2007, 03:33
Don't worry about it to much KingWarman, it's intented to give players some background information on the setting of the interactive before we start. You can do a decent job playing just off the information in the chapters.

alright, I do my best to at least find the size of my army thoyugh:yes: :beam:

Don Corleone
08-04-2007, 03:55
Hear ye, hear ye... word has reached his majesty, Charles XII, king of Sweden, Livonia, Pomerania, et. al, of a treaty enacted by Denmark, Saxony and Russia. In response to inquiries, this treaty has been represented as a pact of mutual-defense. While such an act is completely unnessary, Sweden has no ambitions on any foreign territory, we recognize and respect the right of nations to enter into defensive pacts. If that is truly all this document represents, it will most likely expire, never having come into affect.

However, if our suspicions prove true, and the true intent of this pact is indeed agression towards the mighty empire of Sweden, we warn you to turn back from this foolish course of action at once. While we are a peace-loving people at heart, we have no qualms with fixing bayonet to rifle and defending what is ours.

We also note for all to recognize the recent conversion of Augustus II of Saxony from Lutheran to Roman Catholic. We recognize that this conversion was done out of naked ambition for the Polish throne. We call upon all good Reformist followers of Christ, in Denmark, Saxony, Sweden, the United Provinces, the United Kingdom to stand firm and hold to the Peace of Augsburg! If Augustus II turns Catholic, how long before the Pope has his hands in the politics of London? Of Amsterdam? of Copenhagen? What did we fight about for those long, bloody, 30 years if not to check the power of the ever-treacherous agents from Rome and Vienna?

Men of Saxony, we call upon you as good Christian men, resist your corrupt elector and his lies. Remember, Satan makes excellent promises of glory as well. But on judgement day, let your soul be clean, with the conscience of a saint dwelling in your heart. We will support you as you throw off the shackles of yet another Papist plot. Rise against Augustus and Sweden will join you in making Europe God's kingdom on Earth once again.

Lord Winter
08-04-2007, 18:11
Last Addmendment to the Rules

Fog of War
To repersent the somewhat uncertainity of information in this time, the troop numbers in the chapter will be just vauge estaimtes. While the general numbers and events will be correct only the nations of the said army will know the exact numbers. To a second degree the nations neighbuers will have a better idea about the exact numbers of the army and any major troop movements or concentrations. This is to repersent the spy's and increased trade that allow more rumors to come through. For example Saxony marches an army and takes Riga, if that army had a real strength of 40,000 the general report may list it at 46,000. Sweden, Russia, Austria and Brandenburg may have the strength listed at 42,000. Ruses can increase this number subject once again to logistical abillity. Examples of major movements informed of would be Saxony gathering an army in Dresden, once again Austria Sweden Russia, Denmark and Brandenburg would know that there was a army based their just not how many men, untill it enters the scope of events and thus the chapters.

King Jan III Sobieski
08-05-2007, 03:49
A commen number for Poland/Saxony I've heard is about 100,000 once they've got thier army mobilized and fully put in the field.

100,000 is also a number I've come across. :yes:

Csargo
08-05-2007, 06:38
7000 seems a little weak...

CountArach
08-05-2007, 07:31
Yah, even my 40 000 seems to be on the slim side...

CountArach
08-05-2007, 08:17
A Message to the Kingdom of England and the United Netherlands

Dear King,

You have found yourself in a most unusual and outrageously unnatural situation. You have come into possession of the United Netherlands, a land that has enjoyed its freedom for many years.

With this has come great power and wealth to you. Your naval vessels trade far and wide, reaching both the West and East Indies and even arriving in my own home port of Copenhagen.

Yet with this power comes threats.

All of the great powers of Europe fear for the people of Ireland, who have most recently come under your terrible yoke. You insisted on conquering the several Soverieng nations that made up Ireland. This is a most unfortunate thing.

Now you find yourself with the United Netherlands under your control. With this comes the greratest Navy in the World. This is a threat to all of the Sovereigns in the World! It is a situation that God did not intend, that much everyone must admit.

Further, your heightened wealth could only be put to one use. That is the conquest of all nations of the World, including my people. I have a responsibility to them to ensure that you do not set one foot on Danish soil.

For these aformentioned reasons, Denmark announces that it will put in place an embargo on the English and the UNited Netherlands until England renounces its claim on the throne of the Netherlands. The minute this is announced, English ships will eb able to enter the port of Copenhagen.

I would like to stress that this is not an outright Declaration of War and as such the Nations of Europe have nothing to lose by joining me in my endeavours.

Frederick IV,
King of Denmark and Norway

Stig
08-05-2007, 08:41
CA:
Get your history right:
1. Willem III is Dutch to start with, he is not English
2. He claims no throne, both are legally accepted

If you want to go at war with me and Tran you'd better come up with a proper reason :bounce:

CountArach
08-05-2007, 08:42
1. Willem III is Dutch to start with, he is not English
Then the English should get their own King. There is no need to bring the two great naval powers of Europe together at the cost of all others.

2. He claims no throne, both are legally accepted
I relinquish this point, but it changes nothing. The Embargo stands.

Stig
08-05-2007, 09:00
Willem III:

As stadhouder of the Republic I can say that your points are missing everything. First of all I'm the legal King of England, I happen to have married an English princess, she became Queen, so they made me King. I am the only legal ruler of both countries accepted by the wide world.
Next to that, you'll be happy to know I'm childless, that means that when I die both countries will need to seek for a new ruler, and I doubt they will choose the same. But I'm not dead yet.

BTW, if you don't want to trade I can easely arrange that your ports are blockaded, no problem whatsoever.

Csargo
08-05-2007, 09:17
Senseless aggression is not needed.

Don Corleone
08-05-2007, 09:39
William, be reasonable. By laying claim to the Dutch lands as stadholder and the British lands as king through your marriage, you effectively control a navy that unbalances all trade within Europe. I find myself surprised, but convincingly so to agree with my cousin on this matter. Frederick is right, you cannot threaten the trade of other nations so nakedly. Your intention to wield your command of the North Sea like a club was made immediately apparent with your outright threat against Frederick and the blockade of his ports. Even though he has formally entered into an alliance with Saxony and Russia, with the implied intent of depriving me of my lands, as a Baltic trader, I too must formally request a restoration of balance.

So long as the admiralties of both the United Provinces and the United Kingdom answer to you alone, so too will Sweden refuse to deal in commerce with either nation.

CountArach
08-05-2007, 09:44
A Message to the King of Sweden

Dear Cousin,

We have had our differences in the past, yet I am truly glad to hear of your levelheadedness in this matter. I shall drink a toast to our success and look forward to news of the King of England and the Netherlands abdicating his joint throne.

Stig
08-05-2007, 10:48
Willem III (note: this is Stig speaking as Holland, Tran is England):
I lay no claim to anything. I've been elected stadholder, the people wanted me.
Sides not being able to trade with Denmark and Sweden is not my problem. We already have everything we need, you need us to get the luxuries from the New World, or the spices from India. It's your own decision, know that. If your people become unhappy because the of the loss of luxuries that is not my problem.

Know this, you have created something that will cause more problem to you than to us. We have the goods we want, you need us to get them.

Franconicus
08-05-2007, 13:07

First Naval Act:

To foster the national economy and trade, the French King announces that every foreign ship that enters one of the Mediterranean harbors of France, has to pay a 40% tax on the incoming and outcoming goods.

:sunny:

His majesty,Louis, King of France is not amused about the news from the Baltic Sea. Some countries form a defensive alliance which in return worries Sweden.

We would like to remember all countires to the terrible destruction of the 30 years war. Think twice before you start a new senseless war.

I offer all of you my help in this conflict.

SwordsMaster
08-05-2007, 17:22
Announcement of His Catholic Majesty Carlos II Habsburg, King of Spain:

Since the unfortunate and unforeseen death of prince Joseph-Ferdinand of avaria the Crown has decided to name a new successor, who is to be Philippe, Duke of Anjou, and son of the King of France. He is to inherit all of our realms, powers, and privileges, and he should be a good King to his people.

All of the grandes of the Realm, as well as the owners of all banks, trade companies, and generals, admirals, and everyone who owns hereditary land should swear an oath of personal loyalty to the new Prince of Asturias who should be arriving to Spain shortly.

First Naval Decree:

In order to have continuity with the policy of the King of France, any vessel that is not of Spanish, French, or Ottoman nationality will be taxed at 45% of the value of the cargo it is carrying.

Diplomatic vessels are exempt from this decree, as well as the vessels from the domains of His Holiness.

08-05-2007, 19:12
The Habsburg army
Foundation of the Habsburg Army

One can say that the Habsburg army was founded when after the thirty years war the emperor decided to hang on to 24,500 men even though he was at peace. This new 'standing' army then first came into action in the war between Sweden and Poland (1655-1660). In 1663 and 1664 it fought the Turks, and after that it took part in the 'Guerre de Hollande' to 1679. Together with the Poles it then got the great victory over the Turks at the siege of Vienna in 1683. The subsequent campaign against the Turks led to conquest of Hungary by which Austria became a great power. The fact that the simultaneous campaign in the west ended less well was deplorable but not as significant as the annexation of Hungary.
The support for the Habsburg Army

http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/armies.html
fyi

08-05-2007, 22:44
To Charles XII of Sweden:

I, Leopold I, has had the emissaries of Poland/Saxony came to my Capital requesting a alliance, which I accpected. I Meet Augustus not to long Ago personally, and I felt uneasy of what he told me. From What I understand, you threated him into not provoking a war. Also, I found out now that you are spreading progranda into Saxony from what I understand, in order for them to rebel against Augustus!

If you deice to Military launch any sort of Action against Sweden, we will have no choice to laugh a offensive to Sweden itself, and I will personally bring you head back to Austria! Our Forces have been alerted. Be careful Charles!

Leopold I of Austria

SwordsMaster
08-05-2007, 22:57
The Habsburg army
Foundation of the Habsburg Army

One can say that the Habsburg army was founded when after the thirty years war the emperor decided to hang on to 24,500 men even though he was at peace. This new 'standing' army then first came into action in the war between Sweden and Poland (1655-1660). In 1663 and 1664 it fought the Turks, and after that it took part in the 'Guerre de Hollande' to 1679. Together with the Poles it then got the great victory over the Turks at the siege of Vienna in 1683. The subsequent campaign against the Turks led to conquest of Hungary by which Austria became a great power. The fact that the simultaneous campaign in the west ended less well was deplorable but not as significant as the annexation of Hungary.
The support for the Habsburg Army

http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/armies.html
fyi

Cool link, thanks!

King Jan III Sobieski
08-06-2007, 00:35
Hear ye, hear ye... word has reached his majesty, Charles XII, king of Sweden, Livonia, Pomerania, et. al, of a treaty enacted by Denmark, Saxony and Russia. In response to inquiries, this treaty has been represented as a pact of mutual-defense. While such an act is completely unnessary, Sweden has no ambitions on any foreign territory, we recognize and respect the right of nations to enter into defensive pacts. If that is truly all this document represents, it will most likely expire, never having come into affect.

However, if our suspicions prove true, and the true intent of this pact is indeed agression towards the mighty empire of Sweden, we warn you to turn back from this foolish course of action at once. While we are a peace-loving people at heart, we have no qualms with fixing bayonet to rifle and defending what is ours.

We also note for all to recognize the recent conversion of Augustus II of Saxony from Lutheran to Roman Catholic. We recognize that this conversion was done out of naked ambition for the Polish throne. We call upon all good Reformist followers of Christ, in Denmark, Saxony, Sweden, the United Provinces, the United Kingdom to stand firm and hold to the Peace of Augsburg! If Augustus II turns Catholic, how long before the Pope has his hands in the politics of London? Of Amsterdam? of Copenhagen? What did we fight about for those long, bloody, 30 years if not to check the power of the ever-treacherous agents from Rome and Vienna?

Men of Saxony, we call upon you as good Christian men, resist your corrupt elector and his lies. Remember, Satan makes excellent promises of glory as well. But on judgement day, let your soul be clean, with the conscience of a saint dwelling in your heart. We will support you as you throw off the shackles of yet another Papist plot. Rise against Augustus and Sweden will join you in making Europe God's kingdom on Earth once again.

I do not appreciate such blatent lies being spread about my person. Are we not all brothers and sisters in Christ? As Boleslaus II proved in the 11th Century, not even the Church's agents were safe from the power of the Polish throne. Besides, the last I checked, Augustus, not Innocent, bishop of Rome, was King of Poland.:thumbsdown:

The offer of the Swedish monarchy to aid in any rebellious activity in Saxony is, in my view, an outright proclamation of aggression against our peaceful nation.

08-06-2007, 02:58
To The Swiss Confederation:

I, Leapold I, would like to open a trade argeement with the Swiss Confederation, Along with a Allaince. I know they are netual, unless provoked, Although I think a allaince with benefit us.

Leopold I

Lord Winter
08-06-2007, 17:51
Anouncement of the Most Serene Republic of Venice

We must express worry at the heavy tax levied by both Kings of France and Spain have laid on the exit to the Mediterranean. We strongly urge the lifting of these taxes in the interest of world trade.

Don Corleone
08-06-2007, 19:00
I do not appreciate such blatent lies being spread about my person. Are we not all brothers and sisters in Christ? As Boleslaus II proved in the 11th Century, not even the Church's agents were safe from the power of the Polish throne. Besides, the last I checked, Augustus, not Innocent, bishop of Rome, was King of Poland.:thumbsdown:

The offer of the Swedish monarchy to aid in any rebellious activity in Saxony is, in my view, an outright proclamation of aggression against our peaceful nation.

No, we are not all brothers and sisters in Christ. You do not recognize us as such. We do not condone or accept all the trappings of power and prestige the Catholic bishops heap upon themselves, but we seek no war with them. The pope, on the other hand, has declared us Christian reformists to be deviants and heretics and has instituted numerous wars and other acts of aggression in an effort to force us to again bow before his throne.

As true followers of Christ, it is our duty to see to it that those who have had the grace of God bestowed upon them and have left the false church are allowed to remain in a state of grace. Forcing your Christian citizenry to convert back to the quasi-pagan trappings of Rome will damn you to hell, Augustus. We will do all we can to support your people and see to it that should they choose to defend their Christian faith, they are able to. We do not seek to encourage rebellion against a legitimate political authority, we seek to defend the faith of our Christian brothers in Saxony and protect their immortal souls.

Don Corleone
08-06-2007, 19:16
To Charles XII of Sweden:

I, Leopold I, has had the emissaries of Poland/Saxony came to my Capital requesting a alliance, which I accpected. I Meet Augustus not to long Ago personally, and I felt uneasy of what he told me. From What I understand, you threated him into not provoking a war. Also, I found out now that you are spreading progranda into Saxony from what I understand, in order for them to rebel against Augustus!

If you deice to Military launch any sort of Action against Sweden, we will have no choice to laugh a offensive to Sweden itself, and I will personally bring you head back to Austria! Our Forces have been alerted. Be careful Charles!

Leopold I of Austria

Leopold, you are a wise man and a strong man. Therefore, I will speak to you as such. I learned that Augustus was forming an alliance that he claimed was strictly defensive in nature. I told him that if all he wanted was defense, he and I would have no problems, but I did warn him not to tread upon Swedish soil. We will not sit back and allow him to attack our lands and cower in our homes.

I am not encouraging any political activity in Saxony. In the interests of their immortal soul, I am encouraging those good Christian men to hold true to their Reformist faith and continue in the practice of their faith as taught by Martin Luther. If Augustus respects the faith of his followers and makes no move to force their conversions to Catholicism, then he will have no issue.

But if Augustus thinks we will stand idly by while our Protestant brothers are deprived of their rights and forced to endure the yoke of Rome, he is gravely mistaken. We will do all we can to defend the immortal souls of our brothers.

As for your threat against Sweden, so noted. When you state military action against Sweden, I assume you mean Saxony. And as you do not specify offensive action, I can only take your words to mean that if we attempt to defend ourselves from aggression at the hands of Saxony, you will join them in their violence. So be it. We are prepared for the thieves to work together. Know this, you will not find us an easy victim, nor a willing one. You also have much to lose and we urge you to exhibit some of your famous wisdom and do not march in step with this brigand, Augustus. Sweden has no ambitious designs for offensive action against anyone. Your threat to attack us for defending ourselves will be viewed as offensive action by all civilized third parties.

As for taking my head to Vienna, Leopold, come and get it.... if you're man enough.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
08-06-2007, 20:29
Just to let you know DoH, I have returned from my holiday. If you wish you can start sending me intructions and options. Thankyou for your patience.

Don Corleone
08-06-2007, 21:00
You haven't missed much, Omanes. The first game turn hasn't started. Just some propaganda and posturing.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
08-06-2007, 21:21
Thanks for that! I was a little confused since people were sending me a large number of treaties, offers and demands - I've never played an interactive history before. Thanks again.

08-06-2007, 22:59
Leopold, you are a wise man and a strong man. Therefore, I will speak to you as such. I learned that Augustus was forming an alliance that he claimed was strictly defensive in nature. I told him that if all he wanted was defense, he and I would have no problems, but I did warn him not to tread upon Swedish soil. We will not sit back and allow him to attack our lands and cower in our homes.

I am not encouraging any political activity in Saxony. In the interests of their immortal soul, I am encouraging those good Christian men to hold true to their Reformist faith and continue in the practice of their faith as taught by Martin Luther. If Augustus respects the faith of his followers and makes no move to force their conversions to Catholicism, then he will have no issue.

But if Augustus thinks we will stand idly by while our Protestant brothers are deprived of their rights and forced to endure the yoke of Rome, he is gravely mistaken. We will do all we can to defend the immortal souls of our brothers.

As for your threat against Sweden, so noted. When you state military action against Sweden, I assume you mean Saxony. And as you do not specify offensive action, I can only take your words to mean that if we attempt to defend ourselves from aggression at the hands of Saxony, you will join them in their violence. So be it. We are prepared for the thieves to work together. Know this, you will not find us an easy victim, nor a willing one. You also have much to lose and we urge you to exhibit some of your famous wisdom and do not march in step with this brigand, Augustus. Sweden has no ambitious designs for offensive action against anyone. Your threat to attack us for defending ourselves will be viewed as offensive action by all civilized third parties.

As for taking my head to Vienna, Leopold, come and get it.... if you're man enough.

King Charles,

you are a brave man for conforting both Me And Augustus. I am not scared of your threats, and you should be scared of mine though. Because I have doubts you will back them up, though I will back mine up!

When I stated a offensive, yes, I meant Saxony, (my mistake,sorry Don). But does not Matter! If you dare so launch any sort of offensive, or even move your army to "Defend" your borders, We will have no choice to attack Sweden. Your threating actions in my opinoin, should be viewed as a offensive action by all nations. Not Ours. Our Threats are for in Defense.

That is all I have to say. I will aderess you later.

Leopold I Of Austria

Don Corleone
08-07-2007, 02:15
King Charles,

you are a brave man for conforting both Me And Augustus. I am not scared of your threats, and you should be scared of mine though. Because I have doubts you will back them up, though I will back mine up!

When I stated a offensive, yes, I meant Saxony, (my mistake,sorry Don). But does not Matter! If you dare so launch any sort of offensive, or even move your army to "Defend" your borders, We will have no choice to attack Sweden. Your threating actions in my opinoin, should be viewed as a offensive action by all nations. Not Ours. Our Threats are for in Defense.

That is all I have to say. I will aderess you later.

Leopold I Of Austria

So you are essentially stating that in looking to our defenses, you consider us to be posturing and will invade us, as a strictly defensive act. Sweden hears your statements and accepts your declaration of intent to invade us, no matter what the circumstances. We stand ready.

08-07-2007, 03:01
We have No Choice Charles, But to Declare War. Like you said, I am a Wise and strong fellow, and won't go down easily. I am Wise, and allied myself with Poland/Saxony and Russia. They, Augutugs and Peter the Great both accpeted my offer to invade. Our forces with moblizie shortly

Off Topic:

how are we extacly suppose to do battles again. Can you clear it up before we go head to head :-):?

08-07-2007, 03:08
Also, I hear my Non Austrian armies have 90,000-120,000 thousand, and my dutchies have 5,000 each. so I have around that amount?

Don Corleone
08-07-2007, 21:52
We have No Choice Charles, But to Declare War. Like you said, I am a Wise and strong fellow, and won't go down easily. I am Wise, and allied myself with Poland/Saxony and Russia. They, Augutugs and Peter the Great both accpeted my offer to invade. Our forces with moblizie shortly

Off Topic:

how are we extacly suppose to do battles again. Can you clear it up before we go head to head :-):?

On what grounds? You've given no reaons to anybody for declaring war on us. You claim you have no choice but to declar war, but what has Sweden done to require you to declare war? Or is it naked aggression?

08-08-2007, 00:25
You pressued us to declare War. If We did not, you would greatfully would Charles!

Don Corleone
08-08-2007, 02:45
You pressued us to declare War. If We did not, you would greatfully would Charles!

Had I wanted to declare war on you, my friend, I would have. Sweden is many things, but indecisive is not one of them. No shots have been fired yet. Let us both agree unfortunate words have been exchanged and let us discuss the situation like rational men. Sweden has no designs on Austrian territory, nor Saxon or Russian territory for that matter. Sweden simply seeks to live in peace with its neighbors, defend its borders and protect the religious rights of our Christian brothers. Surely these are rational goals.

I shall dispatch a team of emissaries to Vienna at once. Should you so desire it, we may make these multi-party talks with your friends from Saxony and Russia. Sweden does not look to fight, we prefer to talk. But we are prepared for either course of action.

SwordsMaster
08-08-2007, 03:29
Jaysus, the first chapter hasn't come out yet, and war's already declared. Talk about intercative :dizzy2:

08-08-2007, 14:30
Had I wanted to declare war on you, my friend, I would have. Sweden is many things, but indecisive is not one of them. No shots have been fired yet. Let us both agree unfortunate words have been exchanged and let us discuss the situation like rational men. Sweden has no designs on Austrian territory, nor Saxon or Russian territory for that matter. Sweden simply seeks to live in peace with its neighbors, defend its borders and protect the religious rights of our Christian brothers. Surely these are rational goals.

I shall dispatch a team of emissaries to Vienna at once. Should you so desire it, we may make these multi-party talks with your friends from Saxony and Russia. Sweden does not look to fight, we prefer to talk. But we are prepared for either course of action.

We will hear what your emisssaries have to say. Hopefully they can persude us.

Don Corleone
08-08-2007, 15:17
You claim that your actions have all been in response to a perceived threat by Sweden. Allow me to remove that perception. Sweden hereby vows publicly to take no offensive action against Austria or Russia. Provided Augustus respects the rights of our Christian brothers within his borders, we will take no military action against Saxony either.

That should be more than sufficient to assauge your fears. We can draft this statement into a formal peace-treaty.

08-08-2007, 21:55
We Accpect your "peace" proposal. we will keep our eyes open though....

Leopold I

Warluster
08-08-2007, 22:13
So is that that? Was that the war of a Day?

Is peace being declared between you two powers? Can we, the other nations of Europe, look safely at our borders, and know we can walk freely?

Franconicus
08-09-2007, 20:39
I am glad to see that the storm is over. I have two proposals:

1) Let`s end the quarrel or Europe will be a field of ruins before the game starts.
2) Let us meet at Versaille at Christmas. Let us celebrate the new century. There will be finest wine and meal, all modern arts like opera, theatre, and philosophy, there will be the wonders of the garden of Versaille, there will be love and inspiration, and there will be enough space for diplomacy. Let us make this new cemtury a century of peace. Let us cement the status quo!

I want to invite especially my friends, the leaders of the German and Italian countries and the sultan of the Ottoman Empire!

King Jan III Sobieski
08-09-2007, 21:54
You claim that your actions have all been in response to a perceived threat by Sweden. Allow me to remove that perception. Sweden hereby vows publicly to take no offensive action against Austria or Russia. Provided Augustus respects the rights of our Christian brothers within his borders, we will take no military action against Saxony either.

That should be more than sufficient to assauge your fears. We can draft this statement into a formal peace-treaty.

So be it! Followers of Luther and Calvin need not worry about their rights while I'm alive.

seireikhaan
08-09-2007, 22:48
I am glad to see that the storm is over. I have two proposals:

1) Let`s end the quarrel or Europe will be a field of ruins before the game starts.
2) Let us meet at Versaille at Christmas. Let us celebrate the new century. There will be finest wine and meal, all modern arts like opera, theatre, and philosophy, there will be the wonders of the garden of Versaille, there will be love and inspiration, and there will be enough space for diplomacy. Let us make this new cemtury a century of peace. Let us cement the status quo!

I want to invite especially my friends, the leaders of the German and Italian countries and the sultan of the Ottoman Empire!

Sultan Mustafa II of the Ottoman Empire graciously accepts this invitation, and looks forward to the splendors of Versaille and French wine.

Lord Winter
08-09-2007, 22:51
Chapter I: The Edge of War

Diplomacy without arms is like music without instruments.
-Fredrick the Great

Tensions remain high in the north after the pact between Denmark, Saxony and Russia to attack Sweden. Each has not declared war, but rumors of future hostilities are making their way around the courts of the Baltic.

However one of members of the pact has its own problems to sort out before it can attack Sweden. Negotiations over a lasting peace with the Ottomans at the eve of the end of a two year cease fire, has at best frustrated the efforts of Russia to join the war. While the Russian fleet could probably break into the black sea and threaten Istanbul, but the more numerous Turkish army could easily overwhelm the Russians.

The Ottomans are not the last of Peter's of Russia’s problems. The previous year 3,000 of the professional core of the Russian army, the Streltsy, revolted and attempt to stop what they saw as the heretical changes of the Tsar's westernization program. Although they where crushed, they gave voice to the resent that much of the rest of Russia feels.

Meanwhile to the south, Europe finds itself once again scrambling to make sure the Spanish crown is not inherited by someone who will throw off the balance of power. The last treaty placed the crown in the hands of the Bavarian elector with Spain's Italian lands divided between Austria and France as a consolation prize. However the Elector has died and once again the throne comes into question.

In the past few weeks events have once again thrown Europe onto the brink of war. Charles II has left his entire empire to the French prince Philip, a move sure to provoke fear that Frances increasing power may be a threat to the rest of Europe.

Embargoes have also been aimed at William III until he abdicates one of his positions of duel ruler ship between the Seapowers.

So the nations of Europe stand ready to go to war. It is a time were nations can easily rise, and empires will tremble. And meanwhile, the Ottoman Empire waits in the east.

Choices:
The following will affect actions between January 1st, 1700 and March 31st, 1700

Austria:

1. The naming of Philippe as heir to the Spanish crown. You have your own claim through the archduke Charles and an relative to Louis XIV as the king of Spain could make France much stronger.
A. Announce that Austria does not recognize the will and march on France.
B. Demand that Italy is handed over to you in payment for France gaining the throne, in addition demand that France and Spain promise to never come into personal union.
C. Let it happen you have other things to deal with.
D. Other?

2. How to place your Troops? You currently have 80,000 men. Keep in mind that you need to garrison cities and boarders (orders here can be vauge, for example 25,000 men as garrisons)

3. In the event of war with France, what will the plans be?

A. Ask permission to march through Saxony or Bavaria and march on the French boarder.
B. Attack through Italy at the French friendly Duchy of Milan.
C. Other?

4. Any plans to increase the relatively poor incomes of Austria?

Bavaria:

1. Spain, Who shall you support?

A. Philippe of France’s Claim
B. Archduke Charles of Austria’s claim
C. Try to press the formers electors claim by arguing you are his heir.

2. Placing of the troops, where shall you concentrate your army? You have about 11,000 men keep in mind that you need garrisons.

Brandenburg

1. The alliance to the north and the impending war. What stance will you take?

A. Join on the side of the pact, this will give you a chance to gain Swedish Pomerania
B. Enter on Sweden's side, both Saxony and Poland are close by and territorial gains could lead to a joining of the now separated Prussian territory.
C. Maintain a stance of neutrality
D. Other?

2. A potential war in the south: As part of the HRE you owe troops to Austria in the event of war although in recent years you have been all but independent.

A. Contribute Troops but only on the condition that the Austrian Emperor declares you a separate kingdom at the end of the war.
B. Refuse citing the need to defend you territory from the war in the north.
C. Other?

Denmark:

1. When to launch the attack?

A. Immediately (January)
B. Wait until February
C. Wait until march
D. Declare War in April or beyond (next turn)

2. The plan: You have about 35,000 men, please keep in mind that you also need to leave garrisons. MAP GOES HERE

A. Attack Bremen and Verden in the west
B. Cross over to Norway and from there, march east towards Stockholm
C. As of B but march south once you have crossed into Sweden on Göteborg.
D. Other?

England:

1. Parliament has demanded that you remove all foreign advisers. What will your response be?

A. Yes, give into their demands
B. Deny them in the interest of maintaining the power of the sovereign
C. Cut a compromise by giving them a few positions of power in return for their support.
D. Other?

2. The Recent naming of Phillipe of France as heir to the Spanish Empire

A. Recognize him as King and don't make any complaints
B. Recognize Phillipe as King but insist that Austria is handed the Italian territories in payment.
C. Gather as many nations as you can and declare war immediately in order to "preserve the balance of power".
D. Make no official statement at this time.
E. Other?

3. In the event of war what shall the plans be?

A. Land an army in the Netherlands to help in their defense for the rest of the winter
B. As of A but take the offensive and march on Riems,
C. Land on the French coast and attack Caen, Brest or Rennes.
D. Other?

4. The embargoes and taxes aimed to hurt you trade, What action will you take?

A. Make an official condemnation but take no other action.
B. Return by using your navy to blockade the ports of the nations imposing these embargos. This could result in war.
C. Take no notice and hope the problem goes away.

5. Colonies, where well you focus your expansion efforts?

A. North Canada in area either unclaimed or disputed by France.
B. Africa
C. India
D. West from the thirteen colonies
E. The Islands of the Caribbean.

France

1. The naming of Phillipe as heir to the Spanish throne: it is likely that many will see this as a threat to their safety. What will do about this?

A. Support Phillipe's claim with the might of the French army.
B. Do not declare war but instead be content through supporting Phillipe's future throne with money and arms.
C. Pressure Phillipe to renounce all claims to the throne in order to maintain peace.

2. Shall you began to mobilize to war time 400,000?

3. Placing of the troops you currently have 250,000. Keep in mine you need garrisons in cities and boarder forts.

4. Plans in the event of war with Austria and the seapowers?

A. March north and attack The Netherlands while maintaining the offensive in the south
B. Seek permission to march through Bavaria and march on Prague or an other city.
C. Maintain the defensive until spring
D. Other

5. Where shall France focus it's colonization efforts?

The Netherlands:

1. The Recent naming of Phillipe of France as heir to the Spanish Empire

A. Recognize him as King and don't make any complaints
B. Recognize Phillipe as King but insist that Austria is handed the Italian territories in payment.
C. Gather as many nations as you can and declare war immediately in order to "preserve the balance of power".
D. Make no official statement at this time.
E. Other?

2. In the event of war what shall your plans be will you stay on the defensive, or attack?

3. The embargo, what should you do? You control key bases on the Cape of Good Hope and could block traffic to India.

A. Make an official condemnation but take no other action.
B. Return by using your navy to blockade the ports of the nations imposing these embargoes. This could result in war.
C. Cut off the access to India of all nations taking place in the embargoes.
D. Take no notice and hope the problem goes away.

Ottoman Empire:

1. The Janissaries have been gaining a large amount of power over the Sultan recently. How will you fix this?

A. Create your competing elite body, this will take time and may anger the Janissaries into action.
B. Gradual shift power away from the Janissaries to the nobles and other parts of the army
C. Disband them all together, this would most certainly draw their wrath.
D. Do nothing

2. Army reforms: Should you switch to the modern Flintlock musket or stay with the old matchlock?

3. The brewing tensions offer a chance to win back the land you lost in the recent war, if hostillities break out this turn will you attack? If yes then who?

4. Potential plans the case of war, where shall you place your 320,000 men. Keep in mind that you need garrisons.

5. Negations with the Russians. You need to renew the ceasefire. Will you accept Russian demands of an entry point to the black sea?(By PM)

Russia:

1. The Streltsy, the rebellious regiments have been disbanded leaving you with 18,000 Streltsy and 5,000 of the western model. While the other Streltsy have not revolted they have all expressed anger at your westernization program and their absence from Moscow.

A. Gradually disband and exile the Streltsy
B. Order them to obey orders anyway and put down any rebellions that result.
C.Keep them as garrison troops in Moscow.

2. The Pact to attack Sweden, When shall you attack?

A. Immediately
B. Wait until a peace treaty is signed with the Ottomans then attack
C. Do not attack this turn

3. Negotiations with the Ottoman Empire to renew the ceasefire. Will you press for a port on the black sea or settle with your entrance to the Sea of Azov.

4. The musket shortfall: Russia only produces 6,000 new muskets a year, what steps should you take to fix this problem?

A. Build factories to try to increase your production to 10,000 muskets a year by the end of the year. This may hurt your ability to carry out other projects for a short time.
B. Set out to buy muskets from nations with a Surplus (By PM or thread)
C. Learn to live with 6,000 muskets a year.

5. Plans for an offensive against Sweden:

A. Attack Narva on the coast of Livonia
B. Strike west into Finland
C. March on the Swedish fortress on Schlusselburg, once it falls it will open the way to the mouth of the Neva.
D. Other?

Saxony/Poland

1. Should the kingdom of Poland declare war with Saxony? The treaty only requires Saxony to declare war and the Polish diet is opposed to entering a major war with Sweden. Doing so would allow you to bring more men into the conflict.

2. What month should you attack in? Or shall you wait until next turn?

3. The offensive:

A. Attack Riga an important fortress for the Swedes
B. Attack the Swedish friendly Duchy of Courland
C. Other?

Spain:

1. The succession, your decision to name Phillipe of France your heir will certainly anger many other countries. What shall you do about this?

A. Give the Italian territories to the Austrian Emperor
B. Insist that the Empire stays as a whole but promise that the two kingdoms will never come into personal union.
C. Give away a few of the colonies in payment
D. Do nothing

2. The Debt how will you deal with it?

A. Cut expenses and raise taxes to slowly pay off the debt.
B. Ask that Louis XIV would pay off some of the debt in payment for you naming his Grandson heir
C. Sell off parts of the Italian possessions to make up the shortfall
D. Other?

Sweden:

1. The Pact to attack you should you wait for them to invade or attack first?

2. In the event of war who should you counterattack first?

A. Denmark
B. Saxony
C. Russia

seireikhaan
08-09-2007, 22:51
Totally OOC- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsfVw9xxoNY
Sorry, but when I started thinking about it, I couldn't resist. "Tonight we're gonna party like its 1699!"

Lord Winter
08-09-2007, 22:55
The deadline for decisions is August 20th

08-09-2007, 23:16
*removed as requested*

seireikhaan
08-09-2007, 23:29
Uh, I think you're supposed to PM DoH the responses, rather than letting everyone know. I'd edit that thing quickly if I were you.

08-09-2007, 23:40
I know, acctendly press Post. I was just playing around with the answers

Lord Winter
08-10-2007, 01:00
*removed as requested*

I ment for you to send these in PM so others decisions wouldn't be affected by yours.

08-10-2007, 01:50
don't know how to edit my posts,not letting me......

Omanes Alexandrapolites
08-10-2007, 09:09
To the great King Louis of France,
I wish to trade muskets with you - at least 3,000 a year - I'm not sure of your production levels at this time though, so please excuse me if this is an unreasonable offer. I am willing to negotiate what I supply you in return.
Your's truly,
King Peter of Russia

08-10-2007, 15:19
Thanks CBR!

Peter The Great,

I would like to also trade muskets with you every year. Also, how about cannons? 5,000 muskets a year and 10 cannons?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
08-10-2007, 15:26
To Leopold of Austria,
That would be perfectly acceptable. May I ask what you want in return though, I'm sure you won't provide such valuable items for free.
Yours truly,
King Peter I of Russia

08-10-2007, 15:52
To Leopold of Austria,
That would be perfectly acceptable. May I ask what you want in return though, I'm sure you won't provide such valuable items for free.
Yours truly,
King Peter I of Russia

King Peter I,

what are you willing to offer?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
08-10-2007, 17:58
Leopold,
I'm not too sure as I do not know the requirements of your country at current. Is there anything you may have in mind? I would prefer you to set the terms, understanding what you need.
Peter

08-10-2007, 18:29
Money,Building materials,Horses. Or whatever else you can offer well Peter.

Leopold I

08-10-2007, 21:46
Peter,

how much Money are you willing to pay for my goods?

Lord Winter
08-10-2007, 22:00
For the sake of my sanity I am droping the Fog of war idea.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
08-10-2007, 22:04
I'm very sorry to irritate you Destroyer of Hope, but may I ask what an acceptable price would be for Austria's muskets. Sadly I'm not a historian and have very little knowledge of the events of this time period. Thanks!

08-11-2007, 20:52
Was the Swiss trading anything good at this point DOH?

Franconicus
08-11-2007, 22:15
Stop worrying DoH!

The right price for muskets is the highest price someone is willing to pay and the lowest price someone is willing to sell for. Guess price will raise, once war started!

Swiss trade means one trade route from Italy to Germany! Not more, not less!

CountArach
08-11-2007, 22:17
Denmark wishes to know why Austria is gearing up for war. Surely this latest inciden iwth Sweden has taught them that disputes can be solved in other manners.

08-12-2007, 00:21
Austria wants to be ready, in case we get invaded. We have bad feelings about who may invade us.

Leopold I

08-12-2007, 01:03
Stop worrying DoH!

The right price for muskets is the highest price someone is willing to pay and the lowest price someone is willing to sell for. Guess price will raise, once war started!

Swiss trade means one trade route from Italy to Germany! Not more, not less!

I do not care King Louis! I want Swiss Trade also coming into Austria!

Franconicus
08-12-2007, 13:32
Err, Austria is part of Germany! However, the trade route via Switzerland bypasses Austria, if my memory serves!

Lord Winter
08-13-2007, 06:36
I'm very sorry to irritate you Destroyer of Hope, but may I ask what an acceptable price would be for Austria's muskets. Sadly I'm not a historian and have very little knowledge of the events of this time period. Thanks

Kind of like Franc said, its about the price you are willing to pay. Main Russian goods were furs at this time which were in fairly high demand. You can also follow the system used in 17th cenrury and pay using upkeep cost of soliders as a sort of currency.

Was the Swiss trading anything good at this point DOH?

Swisterland was preaty minor at this time. They did get some trade from Italy and France but nothing really major.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
08-13-2007, 07:52
Thanks DoH!

Leopold,
I am willing to purchase 5,000 muskets from you in exchange for 3,000 furs. I'm sure that the wealthy Austrians will be pleased to have something to keep them warm over the icy Alpine winters.
Peter I of Russia

Franconicus
08-13-2007, 09:22
Totally OOC- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsfVw9xxoNY
Sorry, but when I started thinking about it, I couldn't resist. "Tonight we're gonna party like its 1699!"
French astronomer and mathematicians based on the knowledge of Descarte have proven that the new century starts on January 1st 1701. Therefore, the right time to party is silvester 1700. ~:cheers:

08-13-2007, 15:26
Thanks DoH!

Leopold,
I am willing to purchase 5,000 muskets from you in exchange for 3,000 furs. I'm sure that the wealthy Austrians will be pleased to have something to keep them warm over the icy Alpine winters.
Peter I of Russia

Peter I,

I accpect your Offer! This is certainly a Great Deal!!

I would also like to Sent up a Trade Agreement with Poland/Saxony also! (I stop here)

What was Austria's and Poland/Saxony's Main goods DOH?

King Jan III Sobieski
08-13-2007, 15:49
Peter I,

I accpect your Offer! This is certainly a Great Deal!!

I would also like to Sent up a Trade Agreement with Poland/Saxony also! (I stop here)

What was Austria's and Poland/Saxony's Main goods DOH?

I am willing to open a Trade Agreement with Austria. Poland is, after all one of the largest grain-producing nations on the continent. Also, if Austria has use of it, I may be able to secure some ship-building material for ye. What hast thou in return for me?

King Jan III Sobieski
08-13-2007, 15:57
Czar Peter,

I would like to request a Trade Agreement between our two nations.

Augustus II of Poland :egypt:

King Jan III Sobieski
08-13-2007, 16:10
To the respective leaders of Brandenburg and Denmark, I would like to propose a Trade Agreement.

Let us begin with 2 tons of grain each for ???

I would also be willing to include some ship building supplies too, if necessary.

08-13-2007, 17:16
Augutgus!

I accpect your argeement. I do not want to offer alot of muskets, as I already did with Russia, and I need muskets for my army, but I can offer 500 Muskets, 2 Cannons, and Lumber for 4 tons of Grain!

08-13-2007, 20:41
is it possible to hire meciences or more regular troops on here??

CountArach
08-14-2007, 03:43
Denmark is unwilling to commit to any large-scale foreign trade. Such policies only hurt our own economies, mostof which run off our own agriculture.

Lord Winter
08-14-2007, 06:57
Note on Trade

Most regular trading such as for grain, iron, metal ect... already takes place. The russian situation was unique as they didn't have such a deal already going.

08-14-2007, 21:54
sure is quite here and in my PM box :-)

Omanes Alexandrapolites
08-15-2007, 13:50
Russia is concerned over a war which may result with Sweden. I wish to call another diplomatic conference which will hopefully result in a strong and meaningful ceasefire being signed between Denmark, Austria, Poland and Russia with Sweden. I, despite my current allegiances, do not want war and will only declare it if an attack is launched upon myself or one of my allies.

Don Corleone
08-15-2007, 18:12
Russia is concerned over a war which may result with Sweden. I wish to call another diplomatic conference which will hopefully result in a strong and meaningful ceasefire being signed between Denmark, Austria, Poland and Russia with Sweden. I, despite my current allegiances, do not want war and will only declare it if an attack is launched upon myself or one of my allies.

Ever interested in the pursuit of peace, Sweden willingly endorses this conference and will send a fully empowered diplomatic team to meet with your emissaries. Name the time and the place.

Stig
08-15-2007, 18:14
The Republic is not interested in any war, but let it be known that if the Trade Embargo continues something else can hit you.
Remember, a country which is in war and can't trade has serious problems.

08-15-2007, 20:13
Ever interested in the pursuit of peace, Sweden willingly endorses this conference and will send a fully empowered diplomatic team to meet with your emissaries. Name the time and the place.

I also argee to send a diplomatic team also as I do not want to go to war, unless it is declared on us.

Time and place.

Leopold I of Austria

Omanes Alexandrapolites
08-15-2007, 20:20
Send your teams over as soon as possible to my palace at Moscow. I will cater for any visitors until the conference is over.

08-15-2007, 20:42
Thank you Czar.

King Jan III Sobieski
08-15-2007, 22:37
I too shall partake in this conference. My envoys are en route.

Lord Winter
08-16-2007, 07:19
I'll be gone for the weakend, so I won't be able to answer any questions untill I get back. Please remember that orders are do at the 20th.

08-16-2007, 15:33
I'll be gone for the weakend, so I won't be able to answer any questions untill I get back. Please remember that orders are do at the 20th. yup. got it!

Csargo
08-16-2007, 21:29
I sent a PM a couple of days ago to you DoH, and still no response.

seireikhaan
08-19-2007, 10:26
ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE OTTOMAN SULTANATE

The Ottoman Empire announces that from now on, a tax of 45% on all vessels not of French or Spanish nationality within the Mediterrenean. Diplomatic vessels will be exempt from this.

Mustafa II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire.

Stig
08-19-2007, 12:54
Announcement from the Republic
The Republic warns other countries that if they keep asking high taxes they might find the Canal and the Cape locked for them.

seireikhaan
08-19-2007, 18:31
(OOC-pardon my being dense, Stig, but what Canal are you referring to? I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.)

08-19-2007, 19:20
I will not trade with any countries that will empose taxes on my Counry.

King Jan III Sobieski
08-19-2007, 19:53
ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE OTTOMAN SULTANATE

The Ottoman Empire announces that from now on, a tax of 45% on all vessels not of French or Spanish nationality within the Mediterrenean. Diplomatic vessels will be exempt from this.

Mustafa II, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire.

It sounds as if someone wishes to claim the Mediterranean for himself.

Stig
08-19-2007, 20:09
(OOC-pardon my being dense, Stig, but what Canal are you referring to? I'm not quite sure what you're referring to.)
You know, that big piece of water somewhere between France and England. Sailing all around Scotland isn't the best thing to do.

seireikhaan
08-19-2007, 20:17
You know, that big piece of water somewhere between France and England. Sailing all around Scotland isn't the best thing to do.
Ah. You see, that is what I like to call, a "channel". There is quite a difference between a canal and a channel. Thanks for clarifying, though.

seireikhaan
08-19-2007, 20:21
I will not trade with any countries that will empose taxes on my Counry.
I am not setting these taxes on overland trade routs, only on those carried out via a navy. If you wish to trade overland, there is no extra tax on these routs.

Stig
08-19-2007, 20:22
Ah. You see, that is what I like to call, a "channel". There is quite a difference between a canal and a channel. Thanks for clarifying, though.
:furious3:
Pity I can't swear on this forum

seireikhaan
08-19-2007, 20:24
:furious3:
Pity I can't swear on this forum
:laugh4: :beam:

08-19-2007, 21:27
I am not setting these taxes on overland trade routs, only on those carried out via a navy. If you wish to trade overland, there is no extra tax on these routs.

Ah I was mistaken, as I like to prefer via land anyhow. I apoglse.

King Jan III Sobieski
08-20-2007, 02:26
:laugh4: :beam:
Momentarily off topic: Fight nice, boys :laugh4: :beam: :yes: :clown:

Franconicus
08-20-2007, 07:32
:france: Declaration of Dunkirk:

Louis Le Grand, King of France and Navarre, ruler of numerous oversea countries, declares, that He claims the right, to direct the French economy according to His will for the sake of His country, just like He is conceding it for all other sourvereigns, too. This includes the right of regulation of goods brought to His country or shipped from His country.

Louis Le Grand also claims the right to trade with all nations that wish to trade with France.

He will not accept anybody to constrain one of these rights.

Lord Winter
08-20-2007, 15:30
I sent a PM a couple of days ago to you DoH, and still no response.

Sorry got lost in my box and didn't see it. Taken care of.

Stig
08-20-2007, 15:33
When are we going to see the results of turn 1? Everyone should have send their decisions by now, shouldn't they?

Lord Winter
08-20-2007, 16:00
All decisions are in I just need the time to write it now,

08-20-2007, 18:51
All decisions are in I just need the time to write it now,

very exiciting!!

CountArach
08-22-2007, 09:52
w00t! Go team DoH!

Csargo
08-22-2007, 22:30
I shall crush you all...soon.

Franconicus
08-23-2007, 07:15

Excellent! Could you please answer my last offer, first?

King Jan III Sobieski
08-23-2007, 15:49

Who's being crushed and why wasn't I included in on it??? :whip:

Don Corleone
08-23-2007, 19:03

Easy there, Bismark. You might want to wait a century or two before you go getting yourself all worked up into a tizzy... ~:pat:

08-23-2007, 20:59

Launch Any Stirke against my Country, and it won't look good :yes:

Csargo
08-23-2007, 21:17
Excellent! Could you please answer my last offer, first?

It was lost in my PM box. :sweatdrop: I've replied.

King Jan III Sobieski
08-24-2007, 02:36
Launch Any Stirke against my Country, and it won't look good :yes:

Can't we all just get along??? :dizzy2:

Franconicus
08-24-2007, 07:15

The minister of trade and economy on CNN:

There has been some misunderstanding about the tax policy of my country. Let me repeat again, that the new tax only covers imports and exports that are shipped at one of our Méditerranean harbors. All other harbors as well as the land routes are not effected.

08-24-2007, 21:09
Hey,

when willl our results be posted, just curious??

Tran
08-25-2007, 00:29
Hey,

After you've declared surrender and become our vassal :evilgrin:

Lord Winter
08-25-2007, 03:48
Hey,

Hopefully by the end of the weekend. It's about a third of the way done.

08-25-2007, 16:54

When England surrenders to Austria mabye? :yes:

Thanks DOH! :beam:

King Jan III Sobieski
08-26-2007, 04:35

Oh my...:dizzy2:

It's a long way from England to Austria, no? :thumbsdown:

Tran
08-26-2007, 05:47
Oh my...:dizzy2:

It's a long way from England to Austria, no? :thumbsdown:
Not if you "look" at the map :2thumbsup:

08-27-2007, 03:09
Not if you "look" at the map :2thumbsup:

Bring it On :laugh4:

Can't Wait for the Results!! :yes:

08-29-2007, 18:58
Hurry up DOH :-) j/k, take you time :-)

Csargo
09-01-2007, 09:40
DoH could we have some sort of update?

Don Corleone
09-01-2007, 14:16
Well, I know these things can be a pain and can be tough on the host. I'm not pushing, but could I ask that you PM me when you do start it up again?

09-02-2007, 23:02
I hope he posts them by tomarrow :-)

Rodion Romanovich
09-04-2007, 14:06
Could I be added to the waiting list for this interactive?

Franconicus
09-04-2007, 19:53
Aren`t we all on the waiting list?

By the way, Legio, what is your interactive doing. Still on break or cancelled?

09-04-2007, 20:16

Exatcly. Etiehr he stop doing it, or he is almost done. :yes:

Rodion Romanovich
09-04-2007, 21:03

I'm thinking about continuing it, but it's a lot of work, and above all: I really need the time to be in a single or a few unbroken portions, which I'm short of these days. Additionally, I made a rather big unbalancing and demoralizing mistake in the second last chapter (two winter turns in a row) :shame: ... I'll make up my mind next week, hopefully! ~:)

Lord Winter
09-05-2007, 02:05
Update, I just need to write the the desisions now. There are to options right now that I see I can release a desisions free version now and update. Wait until proably friday for the descision or just do away with the descisions altogether. What do you guys think?

@ Leigo consider your self added.

seireikhaan
09-05-2007, 02:09
Egh, I'm torn. I kinda want to see the results, but I kinda wanna wait for till Friday. Umm, Umm, I guess I'll put my vote for showing the results and updating it Friday. I'm just too darned curious for my own good.

Csargo
09-05-2007, 02:12
Egh, I'm torn. I kinda want to see the results, but I kinda wanna wait for till Friday. Umm, Umm, I guess I'll put my vote for showing the results and updating it Friday. I'm just too darned curious for my own good.

:yes:

Franconicus
09-05-2007, 07:09
:yes:

09-05-2007, 13:20

Same :yes:

sorry if I bugged you to Much DOH :beam:

King Jan III Sobieski
09-05-2007, 13:36
I'll go with everyone else and say: :yes: :yes: :yes:

:-)

King Jan III Sobieski
09-05-2007, 13:36
BTW...

Poland RULES!!! :egypt:

seireikhaan
09-05-2007, 14:52
Wow, don't think I've ever had so many people agreeing with me at once.:sweatdrop:

09-05-2007, 16:30
yup. the excitement is killing me! :-)

Csargo
09-05-2007, 17:47
I don't know why I could wait til friday. Though the shock from me destroying everything you've all tried so hard to build in one chapter will be amusing ~;)

09-05-2007, 19:43
I can't wait to see how The Glorius Austria did!

Lord Winter
09-06-2007, 05:52
Chapter II: A Brewing Storm

The following takes place between January 1st,1700 and March 31st, 1700

The pact to attack Sweden comes to nothing as no offensives are launched by Russia or Saxony. However the most shocking blow to the coalition is not the lack of any attacks but Denmark's attack on Mecklenburg with Swedish aid. An army of 16,000 Danish infantry, 4,000 Danish cavalry supported by 4,800 Swedish infantry and 1,000 Swedish cavalry crosses into the Duchy of Mecklenburg in late January. The advance at first is hindered by a Mecklenburgian army of 10,000 raiding its supply lines, but this obstacle is shattered at the battle of Wismand on February 23rd. By the end of March the main city of Rostock has fallen and the Duchy is in Danish hands. Danish forces have lost 900 infantry and 200 cavalry. The Swedes have lost 200 hundred infantry and 100 hundred cavalry.

Sweden has been aggressive on the Diplomatic Front, sending missions to Poland and Saxony. Both of these missions are aimed to raise distrusts in Augustus of Saxony
. The Polish mission tries to raise fear of the great Swedish army and promises that if Poland doesn’t follow their king in war it will be spared. So far the mission has had no effect besides a small decrease of support for Augustus in the Polish Diet. However in Saxony the mission to increase the anti Catholic feelings of the Protestant country meets more success, as a few riots by some of the Zealous Protestants occur. The Saxon Army manages to quickly restore peace and for now the riots are over. Sweden has also sent an mission to India to ask for permission from the Moughol empire to establish trading bases. The permission is granted for a payment equal to the upkeep of 5,000 men for the start of the year and a payment for the upkeep of 500 men ever year after. In Africa Sweden also establishes a colony to enter into the slave trade.

To the east the Austrian Empire has also launched its own offensive into Agusburg with an army of 10,000 foot and 2,000 cavalry. Augsburgian forces, of 7,000, mount a brave defense raiding supply lines and resulting to scorched earth tactics to slow the Austrian army. With the winter conditions these tactics are especially effective costing the Austrian army 1,200 causalities. By March the Austrians have forced the now weakened Ausbrugian army into Augsburg, which they now lay siege to.

The controversy over the Spanish throne has continued. Austria has demanded that Italy be handed over to them in payment for their candidate being passed over. So far Spain has only offered the Spanish Netherlands in return for the recognizing of Phillipe and help in paying off their debts. Europe has begin to take sides with Bavaria, Cologne, Savoy, Portugal and Brunswick-Wolffenbuttel siding with the two crowns of France and Spain. On the other side lays Austria, the rest of the German states and Brandenburg. The Seapowers have remained quite on the issue, although England has landed an army of 30,000 in the Netherlands. Hightning the tensions, France has begun to mobilized its war time army.

In the mean time the French and the English have been aggressive in colonizing the Islands to the south of Florida. Sweden also sends a colony and manages to colonize a few of the Islands that the French and English haven't already taken. France and Russia have announced the transfer of 9,000 Russian peasants a year to live in French North America in exchange for French instruction in Civil enginnering for 50 Russians. The new governor of the French Colonies has instructed to increase the infrastructure of the colonies and begin to Assimilate the Natives. France has also established a base in South Africa for repair and resupley on their Indian bound Ships. In addition a French mission has begun to colonize the small islands in the Indian ocean. France has also declared that all Indians will have the same rights as French citizens

In other news the Ottoman empire has begun a reformation of the army, by switching to the flintlock and shifting more power away from the Janissaries. The process will take years but it will be aided by a payment of 5,000 French muskets a year and French help in training for the French right to establish bases at Benghazi, Crete, and Aden. Spain starts construction on a new fortress, to guard Gibraltar. The construction will be overseen by the French genius Vaubun. Sweden and france has started work on improving the canon and musket. France also begins to look into changing the design of their war ships. An academy of the arts is founded in Sweden, while an science academy is established in Paris. The French academy is part of an overall push to improve education. It is also marked by the introduction of compulsory education. Spain also opens a military academy.

Lord Winter
09-06-2007, 05:55
Notes: Unless if you speficy that that you want recuritment announced I did not include it. If you want more info PM me about it, If your nation knows it I'll answer it. I will also begain PM'ing descsions so I can put more info in them.

Csargo
09-06-2007, 06:30
:thumbsup: Very nice.

Franconicus
09-06-2007, 12:07
France condemns the agression of Austria against Augsburg. This violates the Peace Treaty of Westphalia. France demands that Leopold's hordes retreat and that Leopold pays the damage.

09-06-2007, 16:04
Austria never intened to Anger France, But we will not Withdraw from Augsburg. Not After losing 1,200 of our brave Men!

Don Corleone
09-06-2007, 17:19
Austria never intened to Anger France, But we will not Withdraw from Augsburg. Not After losing 1,200 of our brave Men!
Loss of men is due to the ineptitude of your generals, not the righeousness of your cause. I'm not certain I would advertise such losses, were I you. As co-guarantor of the Treaty of Westphalia, Sweden too condemns this act of naked agression and pleads with the Austrian emperor to act in accordance with reason and justice and remove his troops to his own territory.

09-06-2007, 19:27
I don't not see Anyone complaining about the Sweds allying with the Danes to attack Mecklenburg. I advise you to mind you own business, as I tend to not extend my borders beyond Augsburg, and wish no harm against Sweden or France.

Leopold I

King Jan III Sobieski
09-06-2007, 19:37
Very, very interested was I to read of the Danish assault on Mecklenburg with Swedish aid.

Don Corleone
09-06-2007, 20:11
Very, very interested was I to read of the Danish assault on Mecklenburg with Swedish aid.

I believe this a private matter between the Crown of Denmark and the people of Mecklenburg. I only granted a favor to my cousin and lent him a division of my expeditionary force. And I don't see how it affects Saxony or Poland. My promise to you, that you had nothing to fear from Swedish aggression remains intact. Stockholm has gained no territory through this action and in fact, the expeditionary force has been detached and recalled.

~:cheers:

Don Corleone
09-06-2007, 20:14
I don't not see Anyone complaining about the Sweds allying with the Danes to attack Mecklenburg. I advise you to mind you own business, as I tend to not extend my borders beyond Augsburg, and wish no harm against Sweden or France.

Leopold I

You are in direct violation of the Treaty of Westphalia, of which your nation is a signee. As a guaranteer of the treaty, it is very much my business.

As for Denmark's efforts to resolve some ownership claims in Mecklenburg (I played no role, my expeditionary force was on loan to my cousin and Sweden recognized no territorial gains in the matter), there were no treaty violations as this was a matter between two Protestant states.

Now, Emperor Leopold, I must repeat my call for you to withdraw from Augsburg and respect the terms of the treaty or formally withdraw from the treaty. You are currently in violation.

SwordsMaster
09-06-2007, 21:27
France condemns the agression of Austria against Augsburg. This violates the Peace Treaty of Westphalia. France demands that Leopold's hordes retreat and that Leopold pays the damage.

As does Spain. Furthermore, until Austrian troops are recalled, Spain recalls its offer to give up the Spanish Netherlands to the Austrian throne in exchange for the recognition of King Felipe V. A violator of peace cannot be King of Spain. Nor Duke of Brabante.

Austria will get nothing!

CountArach
09-06-2007, 22:32
Denmark applaudes this most wise move by the King of Spain and we make it our expressed wish that they should join us in closing our ports to the English. When one thinks about it, it will decrease Englands wealth far more. Denamark also promises to send far more ships loaded with fine Scandinavian furs to the Spanish King in exchange for this movement.

As to my people's movement on Mecklenburg, we feel that it is a personal matter between myself and my Cousin in Sweden. We hope that this will draw our two nations closer together. Furthermore, we have information that points to the people of Mecklenburg as Heretical witches who must be punished for their false beliefs.