PDA

View Full Version : Strength & Honour

Charge
07-25-2007, 19:03
Hello everybody,
At this week I've started work on a new mod (the name you known). Reason is to test my skills as a mod-maker, and to play something before I get access to community's mods.
Also, thread was started to ensure that no one will use this name in his mod ~D

It will be multi-campaign mod . I'm planning to use my own big map, (510x424 pix,199 prov,AI-tweaked). Map creation is in progress.
But there is a serious problem - i haven't got 3dsmax! So in first beta release there will be no new models.:fainting: I hope that i'll get agreement to use some fine models from other mods...(even in this case,new models won't appear until i get ADSL) And in addition i am completely dump in scripting maybe someone will help me with that stuff...
So now, main target is balancing. Other parts i think is possible for me to do. But questions, of course, still exists.
Today i had some testing with EDU file for swordsmens and legionaries. This fouls just can't charge without firing this damn pilums I want to know, is any way to decrease time that they spent for targeting,and to prevent them from firing it again in melee, despite of changing ammo to 1, OR method to add AI's ability to change charge/throwing? :damnmate:
I wanna use legionaries as heavy infantry, not cowardly skirmishers. This will be helpful also for some cavalry units and missiles
As for swordsmens, they was ok.
nOW I gonna spent all evening in reading guides...

Charge
07-25-2007, 19:24
One more thing :
for what it is preferabbly to make mod - 1.5, BI, or alex?

Caius
07-25-2007, 20:43
I wanna use legionaries as heavy infantry, not cowardly skirmishers. This will be helpful also for some cavalry units and missiles
Maybe you should create troops with another model, like the Triarii or Auxilia model.

Charge
07-26-2007, 21:33
I know a lot of mods for RTW (~270 b.c. ~0), but no one for BI (~360 a.d. - 500 a.d.).
Maybe I'll try this after the first one...

Myrddraal
07-27-2007, 04:22
Good luck. It sounds like you've got the right attitude to succeed. Reading guides, and evaluating what you can realistically do yourself are key.

Did you know you can tell your legionaries to attack without throwing by ALT-clicking in game?

Charge
07-27-2007, 18:37
Of course I know it, all this stuff is about ai controlled units.
In 1.3 they didn't use prec first weapon or I'm wrong?

Caius
07-27-2007, 19:13
Hello Charge,

I highly suggest that you put a list with troops, new things in the coming mod.

Charge
07-27-2007, 20:24
Hello Garcilaso,
Now put?

Charge
07-28-2007, 09:33
outdated

Charge
07-28-2007, 17:59
Curse it map loadings half bar and CTD! WTH is this?

Caius
07-29-2007, 19:04
Curse it map loadings half bar and CTD! WTH is this?
Are you using the map posted above?

Charge
07-29-2007, 22:08
Yea, it's she. Only 7 citys, no mountains, rivers...
60 % ,than CTD

Caius
07-29-2007, 22:21
You need a greyscale map.

Myrddraal
07-30-2007, 02:53
I'm sure he's using a proper map (greyscale) height map, that was just to give us an idea of the area he wants to cover.

Have you tried using show_err to try and find the error?

Otherwise, maybe post some screenshots of what your tga files look like, we might be able to spot the error.

Makanyane
07-30-2007, 06:07
from past (and bitter) experience, crashes half way along loading bar can be to do with problems with other text files in the data folder rather than just map related!

about 3/4s along loading bar can be overlarge radar maps - I never found much else that was map related that didn't happen either at the very beginning or the very end though. Do make sure you've deleted your old map.rwm if you haven't that might cause problems.

If you haven't got anywhere with it, explain in more detail what you started from, eg patch version, what files other than map itself you may have altered, and as Myrddraal says, post some more information on the map, and say if it has ever loaded yet...

Caius
07-31-2007, 03:00
Maybe Charge is using a different map, but the same old desct_strat, so everything is messed.

Charge
07-31-2007, 21:11
I removed radar maps and it loads, but... crashes when scrolling! Aargh

Makanyane
07-31-2007, 23:37
crashing when scrolling - check:
rebel types that you specify in descr_regions are valid ones (if in doubt make them all same for now)

rebel sub_factions for slaves in descr_strat - make sure you haven't used anything that is sub_faction of a faction you don't have included properly in the main strat section.

Umm there are more - you might just be victim to having too large a region, if you only have a few of them - I think that crashes on some computers (just gives me funny graphics)

You'll probably find it is crashing when you try and view a specific province - try and narrow that down to which one and that might help you find error.

have a look at the Modders guide to CTD's stickied in modding questions (just realised I never put scroll problems in my map loading guide, so that one won't help)

Good luck!

Charge
08-06-2007, 08:38
After long time thought, I decide that will be better if i make this mod for EB or RTR.

Makanyane
08-06-2007, 08:46
Charge, I think if you are going to do that you need to talk to the EB and RTR teams about it first to make sure they don't mind in principle. (assuming you want to release publicly) Some mods are quite touchy about having sub-mods made, as they can end up being expected to support something they had no control over; and because it might mean you're having to borrow chunks of their work to start with.....

Charge
08-06-2007, 14:43
On TWC i found threads about sub-mods for either EB and RTR, so why they cant approve my mini-mod?

Roman_Man#3
08-06-2007, 16:44
On TWC i found threads about sub-mods for either EB and RTR, so why they cant approve my mini-mod?

I know EB doesn't mind, as many mods are created, and as long as you don't expect them to fully support your mod, you should be fine. Just put your mod thread into this board here. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=129) Teleklos Archelaou made a thread about requesting stuff from EB, but I can't find it. Remember, if you need to PM EB to clarify something, PM [/url=https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/member.php?u=17511]MarcusAureliusAntoninus[/url].

Sadly, I cannot give that sort of information for RTR, but I am pretty sure you need to PM one of the devs. I would suggest making it for RTR PE, which is for RTW 1.5

Charge
08-06-2007, 20:47
Map crashes then Rome is under screen (no matter in what direction you move - north or south).

Slightly on north and i see my desktop ((
I already have experienced such troubles when worked on descr_strat in 1.0 two years ago(but then it crash if rome appear on screen).
Today I always get this message:
"instruction ... 0x00976a3b ... 0x18**b000. memory couldn't be WRITTEN"
Instead ** i get "fa" or "e8" or "df" or anything (maybe it's camera pos).Game generates .rwm every start (30 sec waiting after clicking start campaign),despite its already generated(16.3mb) ...

Also, why map is so angular?? Smoothness only in some places. And missed islands...:inquisitive:

Makanyane
08-06-2007, 23:10
Hi Charge, earlier comment was just my personal opinion that you should see what the other mods attitude would be - wasn't with moderator hat on...

and as RM3's pointed out that EB are apparently supportive of sub-mods, it might be worth telling them what you're planning anyway in-case they can offer any advice etc..

Re: the CTD it sounds a bit like a variation on the scrolling problem you had earlier - did you find cure for that one? Also if you start as faction where Rome isn't the first thing in view, does it CTD when you try and view Rome?

Re: the chunky map, did you make the heights by enlarging a smaller map? That always gives a very blocky effect, though you can manually go round and add or remove individual pixels on coast to smooth out. Not sure why that would lose you islands though.... unless islands on old map where 0,0,0 RGB and you are now running without map_heights.hgt ?

Charge
08-07-2007, 00:10
Hi :)
If i start as gauls or germans or what ever else there is no ctd at start, when for example i click radar at carthage it fine too, and even when camera watch like in picture it is ok, but if rome is slightly under your view it crashes.
As for old problem , I 've had lot of troubles and only way was use backup.

Makanyane
08-07-2007, 17:37
at least that seems to show your problem is just with that one region.

You know that the other regions work OK as you can view and scroll over them.

Look up Rome's entry in descr_regions.txt and descr_strat.txt, and change the default faction and rebel type in descr_regions (3rd and 4th lines down) and the faction_creator in descr_strat.txt to the same combination of faction and rebel type that is in use and working for one of your other regions. If that fixes problem you can then experiment to see which bit it didn't like.

If you've got any loose rebel armies standing in province make sure the sub_faction you specified for them is also included as a proper faction with entry in the descr_strat.txt file.

Let me know how that goes, if it doesn't help I'll try and think of what else it could be...

Caius
08-09-2007, 02:03
I wish you luck, but I just wanted to know what factions whould appear in this mod.

Charge
08-27-2007, 13:27
Another month waiting for unlim (at the end of september):beadyeyes: ...

Charge
09-17-2007, 12:36
I have two news -
first - release is about faar 2010...
second - it will be stunning roman mod, on a m2tw engine...

Thats because I 'll miss year or more in army

EDIT: nope, more likely for RTW EB1, then M2TW EB2....

Myrddraal
09-19-2007, 17:24
You're going to the army? Good luck & keep safe :bow:

Charge
09-21-2007, 10:16
Yep, next year. Thanks Myrddraal!

Makanyane
09-21-2007, 10:39
Ah, we'll miss you, do as Myrddraal says and keep safe...

(and keep thinking up ideas for this while you're away!)

Caius
09-22-2007, 01:10
WE hope you will have good luck in real life.

Good luck and I hope I'll be waiting here, again, so I can see another mod released.

Charge
09-22-2007, 12:32
Thanks a lot to all :):medievalcheers: , but I'll stay here for atleast 8 or even 11 months!) (if lucky, ..- not, not lucky... ) The military duty comes in 08, so I have many good opportunities to increase my postcount.