PDA

View Full Version : Necromancers

ellydog
07-27-2007, 06:01
Hi everyone, I have just finished reading the Warhammer book Necromancer, and i have some ideas for Necromancers ingame(That arn't too far featched).

Too begin with... Necromancy is inside you from childhood if death has haunted and surronded you, you may not know it is inside you untill something triggers it at anytime.

So my theory for putting it ingame would be; if alot of a childs relative have passed away (unatural fast) e.g. Plague or lost in battle. That child could then have a hidden trait Necromancy(If possible ingame) and then could be triggered at a random time in adult hood.

As a Necromancer passes his life span he needs to steal a mind, body or soul. To alabourate on this... If you steal someones body, your body will be energiesed and you could live another life span.
If you steal someones mind, you take controll of their body, and live out their remaining life span.
The only part i didn't catch was how stealing someones soul works.

So when a Fellow Necromancer in the faction is dieing you could have the option to steal a mind, or steal a body(each varring from traits).

The necromacy trait would...
lower piety, increasing exucution chance.
lower loyalty, so the genenal can go renegade and raises undead armies. Massivly increase dread, no explanation needed.
Increase personal secruity, nothing more safe then a pair of undead body guardes.
Increase generals hitpoints, these guys are pritty tough.
Heal more battlefield casualties?

If I can remember more i'l post it.

Blood Claw
07-27-2007, 06:05
This is a pretty interesting idea you have here. I don't "think" it would be too hard to add and it would add just that much more to the mod. I think this is a great idea and that the trigger and effects would match it perfectly.

Eufarius
07-27-2007, 06:13
true . this sounds like a good idea.:yes:

uanime5
07-27-2007, 11:48
I'm unsure if you can made a trigger that will kill off young family members and give you a necromancer trait. Also to improve a trait you need to get points by doing something (such as building mines to get a mining trait). Perhaps the necromancery trait should occur if a large number of your soldiers die in battle.

essi2
07-27-2007, 16:04
interesting idea:yes:

Dead Guy
07-27-2007, 16:43
I don't think I understand how you want to implement this. Do you want the Vampire Counts to have generals that are not necromancers except if their relatives have died violent deaths, or do you want other factions to sometimes have a general go necromancer?

If the first alternative is true, then it would be a huge handicap for VC if your loyalty idea was implemented.
Other things deducable from stats from the VC armybook is that they are not at all tough if I remember correctly, I'd be surprised if their toughness is more than 4. Also, aren't they about the only model in the VC army that does NOT cause fear? As for lower piety, only one religion in the game have inquisitors.

If it's the other way around I'd think your idea less game-breaking... I hope this mod will be based more on the army books than fluff, and as far as I know, I haven't read all FB material mind you, most necromancers arise in the empire or at least from humans, or in one comic case, among the orcs!

Ah well, sorry for being a pessimist...

DaCrAzYmOfO
07-27-2007, 19:15
Well heres an idea, howabout instead of having the father get the necromancer trait cause his children died, have a child get that trait when he comes to age IF AND ONLY IF his father has passed away, and maybe one more family member etc.

How would that stack up to game mechanics? The idea of having the trait increase the chance of casualties recover does sound REALLY interesting :D
and could be used in the undead factions instead of healers and stuff like that.

On the human side, It would most likely lead to attributes like bodyguards like mentioned earlier.

What if lower piety meant less public order? The necromancer trait could lead to the general have less piety. If you could tie in piety with public order or traits that decrease public order you could simulate how the populace would feel towards an INFIDEL that uses necromancy while under sigmar's dominion or other dieties.

Cheers :D

uanime5
07-27-2007, 21:58
Low piety levels do not always reduce public order. Though settlements with a high levels of your religion do object to low piety generals settlements that have low levels of your religion object to high piety generals. Thus low piety cannot always make settlements more prone to revolt.

However there is a trait that reduces public order, so that could be used instead.

ellydog
07-28-2007, 00:30
I don't think I understand how you want to implement this. Do you want the Vampire Counts to have generals that are not necromancers except if their relatives have died violent deaths, or do you want other factions to sometimes have a general go necromancer?

If the first alternative is true, then it would be a huge handicap for VC if your loyalty idea was implemented.
Other things deducable from stats from the VC armybook is that they are not at all tough if I remember correctly, I'd be surprised if their toughness is more than 4. Also, aren't they about the only model in the VC army that does NOT cause fear? As for lower piety, only one religion in the game have inquisitors.

If it's the other way around I'd think your idea less game-breaking... I hope this mod will be based more on the army books than fluff, and as far as I know, I haven't read all FB material mind you, most necromancers arise in the empire or at least from humans, or in one comic case, among the orcs!

Ah well, sorry for being a pessimist...

We'll what I was saying is more for the empire, and good factions i guess. It's a way of allowing a good general to be corrupt. A different necromancer trait should existed for Undead factions(or none at all)

The Army books don't really cover too much more then battles, so i guess the fluff has to come in somewhere.

Well heres an idea, howabout instead of having the father get the necromancer trait cause his children died, have a child get that trait when he comes to age IF AND ONLY IF his father has passed away, and maybe one more family member etc.

We'll lol, i think thats what i meant.

What if lower piety meant less public order? The necromancer trait could lead to the general have less piety. If you could tie in piety with public order or traits that decrease public order you could simulate how the populace would feel towards an INFIDEL that uses necromancy while under sigmar's dominion or other dieties.

After reading the book, in the empire you would exucuted for being a necro, no matter what class. So i would think most Generals would keep it secret.

Eufarius
07-28-2007, 02:56
The thing is if this idea can be approved by Bwian.

Bwian
07-28-2007, 14:49
More a question of whether things that are suggested are possible. I would also expect someone with the ability to perform Necromancy would be able to raise his own dead.....

I can see a Necromancer as an aide, rather than as a trait. I would also want to be able to confer some particular recruitment of mercenaries... but agian., if this is not possible, there needs to be some tactical or strategic element to the trait.

Someone needs to test some of the ideas and see if they can be done.

ellydog
07-28-2007, 16:24
More a question of whether things that are suggested are possible. I would also expect someone with the ability to perform Necromancy would be able to raise his own dead.....

I was thikning that.. But would other soldiers fight along side with undead armies? And insted increase the chance to rebel and then raise his own army,

DaCrAzYmOfO
07-30-2007, 00:57
Oh, sorry lol. What I originally understood was that the father(such as the father of a current general) would recieve the trait if his children died.

And about the other part...well they dont HAVE to know he is commiting necromancy...just suspect of him and as such not be as loyal to him as a person who is not even suspected of messing with the dark arts....just like if the populace would doubt him because of accusations instead of actually knowing that it was him...

But yeah apparently alot of stuff has to be tested, although your idea about him going corrupt and raising his own army of dead does sound rather...tasty:jumping:

Happened to me in a french campaign...one of my younger generals was en route to attack a rebel army and his whole army turned rebel itself!:inquisitive:

:thumbsdown: to that traitor! but it is a novel and interesting idea and that would be SWEET if it was implemented...most likely through the traits of which make generals be less loyal to you

A Norseman
08-19-2007, 04:32
A summary:

A good (human) Character can get the "Necromancer!" trait, wich makes the taget general go ++ on dread and -- on loyalty. (possobly also giving the target general accses to basic undead units)
A good sugestion wuld be that due to the powerhungry nature of necros, the general will most likely rebell, and when that happens, He will appear with a lot units in the "undead" class (symbolizing the general showing his true agenda as a necromancer)

Also, i thing that a Vampire count culd get a retinue called necromancer. He culd enhance the general in the way of healing battle casualties (raising new dead from the enemy casualties to replace the fallen) And get 1 + command when comanding undead.
Obiosly, the necromancer is a powerfull retinue, and wuld be hard to come over.
I think the toomb kings culd have somthing similar to necromancer, but i am no expert in tomb kings.

overkill1991
08-19-2007, 22:38
tomb kings would get a lich priest i guess.

A Norseman
08-20-2007, 00:06
Yea, since those characters (Necromancers and Linch Priest) realy are valuble to the undead factions not only in battle, but are used mainly to raise and ceep the undead armies. I think a retinue called a necromancer/ Lich priest wuld symbolize this..

Bwian
08-22-2007, 19:48
That is certainly the way I intend to have it. They should be a valuable asset and a key support to the army of the undead.

Enthes
08-22-2007, 20:48
when the general dies in warhammer undead units start to crumble will there be a way to make that happen ingame by making the unites weaker when the general dies or something?

A Norseman
08-22-2007, 22:40
I dont think it is possioble to make them fall over and die..! But to increase the moral impact on a unit when the general dies shuld be far more possible.