PDA

View Full Version : A couple of point

Revenant42
07-28-2007, 13:51
First off, why did the Rome Warhammer mod die? They tried to bite off more than they could chew in the time they were prepared ot invest. This mod is blessed with the Medieval setting almost in place (1/3 of your units are already done, hurrah) and a more talented team (compare the new models to the RTW Warhammer models ) but it's still very likely this mod could go the same way. Personaly to avoid this I would make a playable, workable and enjoyable version of the game on a limited area and finish the 'easy' factions first and make them playable, the move onto the awkward stuff. If the map for the first release stretches from Kislev and dwarved strongholds in the east, the great ocean int he west, chaos wastes in the north and Araby/Land of the Dead in the south it means that the mod could be released and playtested alot earlier, and the lizards, elves, ogres not to mention cold ones and other dinosaur things etc can be worked on later.

If the playable Warhammer armies are the only factions, there would be massive areas in the south and middle of the map that are uninhabbitted. I feel Tilea (simply made of M2TW Italian units), Estalia (Spain/Portugal units), Border Princes (Hungary/Poland units) and Araby (Moors with Elephants) should be included to fill these vast expanses of territory, preferably as playable factions, there's little reason to degrade them to rebels. They would be so simple to make comapred to other factions (no reskinning or new voices required) that lack of time shouldn't be an issue.

Also, how would:
ogre sized units - Warhammer is full of them
bears - for kislev
Chaos monsters
giants
be implemented, it'd be a shame if they weren't included, as it's a vital part of the Warhammer flavour

The Empire and Bretonia would be ideal units to start with, assuming flying units are left out they can almost entirely be made form existing units (monster Ribault would make a fine Hellblaster).

Also on the subject of voices:
Brettonia - French or perhaps English
Empire - German
Dwarves - Scottish
Kislev - Russian
Tilea, Araby, Estalia, Border Princes - self explanatory
But the others, will they have to be recorded from scratch?

Also on the subject of religion, it is a diverse thing in Warhammer, without any huge monotheist global religions. Thus I think it should work more like RTW with different temples with different abilities for your various Gods but less emphasis on conversion. The only large exapnsionist religion would be Chaos, and perhaps religion and conversion should work more like chaos corruption versus spiritual order.

Bwian
07-28-2007, 14:45
er .... have you read any of the posts on the forum ?

First off, we ARE making the key factions first, and the plan IS to make them releasable before we even look at the fill in factions.

we ALREADY have large sized units, and more are easily done and planned. The chaos warriors are larger than human scale, and the bone giants are in game as well. Ogre sized units are already planned for, possible, and in the queue for building.

Bretonnia and Empire units are NOT already done in the stock game...they need re-skinning. One of our team has already been doing that, and there are screenshots in the eye-candy threads. Don't underestimate the work needed to put them in game. They also require new build trees and additional balancing and unit cost/strength changes. That work is being done, and they will be one of the easier factions to complete since they present fewer technical challenges.

Voices will be improvised for the first release, and we have had a volunteer to help on the sound side of things. We will use whatever is most appropriate until we have something better.

Ultimately, though we WILL NOT release a lashed up custom battle only mod with a couple of very human factions in it. No point. We will release something good, or not at all.

And finally, with regard to the original Warhammer team for RTW, it is not fair to say we have a better team. We have a better engine to mod, that supports better textures and allows unit variations in a squad. We have used this a lot to make things fancier. The models are more detailed, the texture sizes are greater, and we also have the ability to make entirely new skeletons for non-human figures .... which RTW never had. Several of the old RTW team post in here to give advice and suggestions, and they are a welcome addition to our supporters. Several offered to join the mod, and the only reason they are not in the team is purely down to me already having enough workers in the areas they wanted to work on. When the time comes to expand the faction lists, I may have need of them.... and they certainly don't lack talent or motivation.

Ultimately... none of the non-human orientated mods really achieved all they could in the RTW engine ..... but I have much higher hopes for M2TW.

p.s. Cold Ones and dinosaurs are already in the mod too.... just haven't got the textures to the point where I want to post pictures :clown:

essi2
07-29-2007, 21:43
I feel Tilea (simply made of M2TW Italian units), Estalia (Spain/Portugal units), Border Princes (Hungary/Poland units) and Araby (Moors with Elephants) should be included to fill these vast expanses of territory, preferably as playable factions, there's little reason to degrade them to rebels. They would be so simple to make comapred to other factions (no reskinning or new voices required) that lack of time shouldn't be an issue.

so if I understand you correctly you want to use the M2TW units\models w/textures of the countries mentioned for the WH factions mentioned instead of making new ones?

if that is the case, it would probably be seen as infringement of the WH IP and we all know how much GW dislikes that stuff:inquisitive:

Bwian
07-29-2007, 22:08
That is not something we are going to be doing. None of the listed factions ( Tilea, Araby etc. ) are intended for the initial release, and are not considered likely for a later release either.

True...some of the HRE units made a good base for Empire troops ... but all needed adjustments to the mesh and a complete re-skin. The same would be true for any of the outlined factions suggested by Revenant. There is no real benefit to us, and if we were to do those factions, we would re-do all the units to fit existing WH artwork and miniature designs. Assuming of course, that we ever actually do these factions!

ole-warhammer
07-29-2007, 22:18
The old warhammer mod is NOT dead!! It is "reborn" :P

alexader
07-30-2007, 18:11
Boys,Boys.For the love of God ,STOP doing anoying post,if you really get bored reading the whole threads,it's better to write nothing instead of all this(it's better that to maintain the balance,c'mon)dammm.............:egypt: