PDA

View Full Version : Stele #1

Krusader
07-29-2007, 21:14
Hey and welcome to our EB2 forum.

As for thread title, we've decided to call it Stele instead of Developer Diary. Just to keep it a bit "EBish". Name might be subject to change though.

This will hopefully be the first in a series of “almost-weekly” news updates I will be writing about the progress on EB2.

As of now, very little work has been actually done on EB2 from a pure modding perspective as we haven’t begun fiddling a lot with the files yet. However it’s an altogether different matter when it comes to research and our main focus has been on which ten new factions to choose and checking out what features Medieval 2: Total War has that Rome: Total War does not have and can/will we use them.

The first thing we will mod in will be the map itself and it will be the new map which will be in the next EB1 release and which was previewed some weeks ago. But that does not mean the map is forever “locked”. There will probably be more changes to province borders, city locations and so on and Iberia will most probably be redrawn province wise.

If you are going to redraw Iberia why aren’t you doing it for EB1 too?
Easy, we want to finish EB1 and that means finishing some aspects of the mod so we can free up manpower for EB2 and this includes the map. We can also mention that the remaining traits & ancillaries that are concepted will be added, but from there on only the most important trait/ancillary ideas will be added to EB, because as stated earlier we want most people to work on EB2. Some stuff like voicemods will be added later to EB1 as there is not much work needed to be done updating text files.

We have already chosen seven out of ten factions and are discussing heavily the three remaining ones. There have been many discussions on the public forums about which factions people would want to see in EB2 and it is fun for us to see the different candidates suggested and talked about. We won’t release any info on which factions we have chosen…yet.
However I think we could mention two factions which did not make it in and the reasons why. This so you have two less choices to worry about :wink:

Mauryan Empire:
The Mauryan capital Pataliputra is FAR to the east of our map, along with almost all of the empire itself. Having a massive empire that is only marginally on our map is not “endorsed”, you can say by EB. Portraying Mauryans accurately would be much harder with most of the empire itself outside the EB map and which brings us to another point. Some say we could scrap a few provinces and use them to add India. That would make EB unhistorical, as we would fail to portray the different cultures as unbiased as we can. At this point in history India was probably the most populated region in the world and if we would use as many provinces on India as we would let’s say Asia Minor, it wouldn’t be an accurate and fair portrayal of India would it? India would require MANY provinces if we were to have some relation between India and the rest of map when it comes to provinces, population, settlements and geographical size.

Jewish faction:
We know people love the Jews and would want a Maccabean faction. Here is the deal though. The Maccabeans revolted a century after the game start. They would be an emerging faction which is something EB has decided not to have. If we did, you could bet Yuezhi would be in. Another thing is that the Jews would only control Judea and the consensus from reading sources is that the Jews would most likely be happy just to have Judea and not try to subjugate other nations or peoples, at least not on the scale that is in Total War games. We might add some more unrest to Judea, although the Jews seemed to have lived well enough under the Seleukids (before Antiochos IV of course) & Ptolemies before, as they were granted royal charters recognizing their rights.

As mentioned we have also been checking the new features of M2TW and we already have ideas for guilds and religion. But we can mention those another time. For now I’ll write about crusades & jihads (hey, I need to have some material for the coming weeks!!)

Our idea so far, or at least the idea most mentioned, is to use crusades and/or jihads to represent Migrations. With these some factions, most notably the Sweboz & Saka could launch “Jihads” into a province which represents migrations. It is just on the concept stage for now, but we will check if crusades require a Papacy faction or if we can use Jihads outside imams. On a sidenote, some of our factions will probably be made into Horde factions, so if they are defeated they can take their people and find other lands.

And to finish this off, it seems we can chop out chunks of script code and free up building complexes as we can apparently represent military reforms VERY easily using event triggers which will make reforms so much easier...hopefully.

Until next time,
Krusader

Crimison
07-29-2007, 23:44
Looks very neat! Another great thing is that about half of the time waiting for this mod is cut away since you already did the research for eb1 so all you have to do is mod! Plus, I think you could perhaps use a cut 'n' paste for the descriptions and things.

Ice
07-30-2007, 00:37
*Imagines EB Mod on the MTW II engine with Kingdoms*

Very very very nice! I look to someday (hopefully while I'm still in university and have free time :laugh4:), to play this excellent mod.

Great job guys! :yes:

adishee
07-30-2007, 02:52
I'm thinking... spring '10.

I can wait.

:book:

Wolfman
07-30-2007, 03:25
:jawdrop: faints. I never thought I would see this day

Eufarius
07-30-2007, 03:33
Is it possible for you to tell me how far east the map is?

abou
07-30-2007, 03:45
Same as it is now.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
07-30-2007, 07:33
The map will be the same. First there will be a port, for everything. Then changes will be made with the upgraded possibilities. The map could be redone entirely, but the increase in size wouldn't be all that much and may not be worth all the work. Due to the province limit, though, the map won't be expanded outside the current areas included in EB1.

Hopefully, a working port from RTW to M2TW, with the current level of detail and complexity will be released as a kind of beta before 2010, but no promises. :egypt:

NeoSpartan
07-30-2007, 16:44
Wow.....

THE DAY HAS COME

.....EB2 "Judgment Day" is comming.

Tellos Athenaios
07-30-2007, 22:06
Well, don't take anything for granted but we might want to release EB1 before we release an EB2... So don't get all excited just yet.

Megalos
07-30-2007, 23:16
I'm certain that working on the Koinon for EB, requires that you must be able to tease the community to death!

You should get jobs as strippers or something, they make good money out of that kind of thing.....

....Erm scrub that thought! :gah2:

Mega

Christianus
07-31-2007, 14:42
I want the whole of Norway on the new map. Its so annoying! You allmost expanded the map to the Island where im from, but not all the way. This needs to be changed.

Thaatu
07-31-2007, 15:04
I want the whole of Norway on the new map. Its so annoying! You allmost expanded the map to the Island where im from, but not all the way. This needs to be changed.
I believe that even if the map extended all the way to your home island, you still wouldn't see your house on the map, unless you somehow provided evidence that it's an ancient shrine.

Zaknafien
07-31-2007, 18:05
while the number of provinces will remain the same, and the area covered will almost certainly remain the same, there has been talk of expanding our map area, that is, making it larger, which would give you more room to maneuver your armies in a province. This is especially interesting now with the Kingdoms perma-forts feature, which will serve as strategic points within the province to capture aside from the capital city.

Centurio Nixalsverdrus
07-31-2007, 20:27
That would be cool.:2thumbsup:

burn_again
07-31-2007, 21:12
A larger map scale could be really cool, I think if provinces are bigger and there is more dictance between settlements would also help dealing with AI-diplomacy. When I play as Baktria for example and have that huge desert between me and the AS, they will often offer a ceasefire or at least won't attack me for some years. The AI seems to be more interested in conquering settlements that are close to its own cities.

That perma-forts feature sounds really interesting. Founding your own cities or building a fortress would be great for strategic and roleplay purposes.

Sarkiss
08-01-2007, 12:13
while the number of provinces will remain the same, and the area covered will almost certainly remain the same, there has been talk of expanding our map area, that is, making it larger, which would give you more room to maneuver your armies in a province. This is especially interesting now with the Kingdoms perma-forts feature, which will serve as strategic points within the province to capture aside from the capital city.
wow, that sounds great! my guess would be that the marching distances will be increased accordingly?

Gurkhal
08-01-2007, 15:19
EB 2 = Wonderful. :2thumbsup:

Conqueror
08-01-2007, 21:31
wow, that sounds great! my guess would be that the marching distances will be increased accordingly?

They could increase the distances for General-led armies but leave the captain-led ones unchanged. That would encourage players to make more use of generals.

BozosLiveHere
08-01-2007, 21:40
Unfortunately, our first concern when concepting stuff like this has to be how will the AI cope with it, not the human player.

Cecil XIX
08-02-2007, 01:50
Are you guys going to hold off a little until Kingdoms comes out, in case that gives you better ideas?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
08-02-2007, 09:18
Are you guys going to hold off a little until Kingdoms come out, in case that gives you better ideas?
Yes, the current plan is to wait for Kingdoms. If it has absolutely no improvement for modding, compared to M2TW, it may not be used, but right now it looks like the platform for EB2 will be Kingdoms.

hoom
08-02-2007, 14:52
Heck, why not just wait till EB1 is finally finished & then start on whatever is the current TW engine? Like Shogun3:TW in 2020 ~:flirt:

Foot
08-02-2007, 15:03
Heck, why not just wait till EB1 is finally finished & then start on whatever is the current TW engine? Like Shogun3:TW in 2020 ~:flirt:

Well we've already finished EB1, but like that rich woman Rowling, we ain't releasing it till the time is right. In the meantime we are just relaxing and playing the coolest thing on this planet.

Foot

mcantu
08-02-2007, 16:38
Well we've already finished EB1, but like that rich woman Rowling, we ain't releasing it till the time is right. In the meantime we are just relaxing and playing the coolest thing on this planet.

Foot

you're an evil, evil person...:smg:

I Am Herenow
08-05-2007, 19:49
So what will be the point of Migrations - will they be like a pre-emptive self-Horde button if you're getting pinned down and need to escape to somewhere else, and upon arriving flush a weaker faction out?

Tellos Athenaios
08-05-2007, 21:10
you're an evil, evil person...:smg:

That's actually one prerequisite of being an EB member. To ignore the fans who want it straight away, and keep playing with it yourself till you deem fit. ~;)

Boyar Son
08-10-2007, 00:07
cool another chance!

I already messed up both RTW cd's....

this time i cant go wrong with my MTW2 cd

lobf
03-09-2008, 02:44
So what will be the point of Migrations - will they be like a pre-emptive self-Horde button if you're getting pinned down and need to escape to somewhere else, and upon arriving flush a weaker faction out?

I'd like to answer this about a half a year after the fact. I'm guessing the migrations will be to put pressure on the neighbors of the migrating nations, and maybe conquer some cities and change the map around a bit, like they did in history.