PDA

View Full Version : What about castles?

King Orko
08-05-2007, 14:46
in this time, castles didn't exist, so are there going to be any castles or will there be just cities?

Zaknafien
08-05-2007, 15:53
there were very elaborate fortresses which may be used as castles. they could also represent the more involved oppida, etc. its still under alot of internal discussion to use permanent forts or castles for this. one idea is to use permanent forts as minor cities in a province.

Riothamus
08-05-2007, 16:26
there were very elaborate fortresses which may be used as castles. they could also represent the more involved oppida, etc. its still under alot of internal discussion to use permanent forts or castles for this. one idea is to use permanent forts as minor cities in a province.

This idea of a more involved oppia is intriguing to me. Is it something that appears on the campaign map also?

KARTLOS
08-15-2007, 06:24
i was wondering about this.

i presume you wil be using the cities - as i have hear discussions regarding the fre upkeep units being used.

as for the castles- i was wondering if you could use them for something slightly different = like non city.

if you can change their name from castle and remove the walls, they perhaps could make a good starting point to representiong nomad government, simply by their non-cityness. i just thought that the fact that they have less trade, and no fre-upkeep units might be useful in this respect.

Xehh II
08-15-2007, 22:34
That sound like a really good idea, KARTLOS

KARTLOS
08-17-2007, 10:50
i think the fact that they have an inherently differnt recruitment set up to cities, would also be helpful in representing the differnec between urban regions and nomads.

kambiz
08-17-2007, 11:10
Great idea KARTLOS :yes: However I think some factions like Rome , hellens and other civilized and barbarian factions should just have access to Cities and on the other hand nomadic factions could only have access to "nomadic noncities(Castles)" and can't build city (Though they can take other faction's cities !). However one faction can use both and that's "Pahlava". I think the system will work prefectly for them :smile:

KARTLOS
08-17-2007, 11:20
yes sounds good in theory. i am not sure if there is any where to "block" a faction from building cities or castles, but with the city only factions if you didnt give them and castle related buildings then there would never be any incentive to switch to castles.

the crucial factor for this idea is whether it would be possible to completely remove the walls of castles?

KARTLOS
08-17-2007, 11:23
i should add, that i dont think the ai will ever switch between city and castle, so i dont think that will cause problems.

I Am Herenow
08-17-2007, 14:01
Well, in Kingdoms, the Teutonic Order will only be able to build castles, so 50% of this system is guaranteed to work if EB2 uses Kingdoms - and I would imagine that blocking castle-building would be even easier, although I can't vouch for that.

Urnamma
08-23-2007, 23:07
There were fortresses much larger and more elaborate than medieval castles... so I can see using it for that. But Kartlos' idea is worth testing :-) (good idea, man)

BozosLiveHere
08-24-2007, 01:20
I don't think there's anything stopping us from having the castle/city dichotomy meaning different things for different cultures. We'll have to discuss it further later.