PDA

View Full Version : Ran into brick wall. Can't run MOD. ...help!

MiniKiller
08-13-2007, 23:05
Ok so I cant play STW any longer, the screen keeps flickering. Anyway I saw the Ran MOD for RTW and drooled like a mad man to find it isnt out yet.

Today I ran into this MOD and again drooled, then downloaded and sucessfully installed. I pick my clan to start a full campaign with and the error occurs.

Campmap\pieces\agents\jihadtarget.buf.

This comes up on the loading screen in a gray box and all I can do is hit enter. After that another gray box pops up but I didnt read it, all I knew was I got kicked back to the pause menu screen (resume game, options, quit etc.)

This error is preventing me from playing and calming my nerves!!! Any help!

Thank You

MiniKiller
08-14-2007, 03:41
Ga Im ready to throw my computer out the damn window. Nothing is working and I dont udnerstand why.

So I was sad to see 12 views and no responces so I tried suttin on my own. I created that buf file I named above, so my new error was for a bif file. j

jiahadtarget_held.bif

So I created it then got a new one but under units.

crusades_banners.bif

After that I got some coppermine.big error and freakin gave up. I dont get what all these mean, they are MTW bif's and buf's all arent used anymore so I cant understand why Im getting these errors and it just isnt working like it should.

Puzz3D
08-14-2007, 04:04
On the Campaign Selection screen, you picked the Samurai Warlords campaign?

Also, this mod only works when installed over an unmodified MTW/VI v2.01.

MiniKiller
08-14-2007, 04:07
Ya I was just picking the warlord campaign. I tried it with 3 different starting factions and still got the same result.

I had mods on my MTW in the past but deleted them with the uninstaller they came with. Im reinstalling everything again to check but when I installed the mod earlier everything was vanilla.

The only thing I can think of is that because I had mods on it, even tho I took them off my game would never be vanilla again unless I completely removed it? I duno

Puzz3D
08-14-2007, 04:31
I renamed that file Campmap\pieces\agents\jihadtarget.buf and I get the same error you got. I think one of those uninstalls took out some files that are needed.

MiniKiller
08-15-2007, 00:45
I renamed that file Campmap\pieces\agents\jihadtarget.buf and I get the same error you got. I think one of those uninstalls took out some files that are needed.

Thats what happened, I reinstalled everything and checked that folder and saw what I was missing. Wierd how an uninstaller just for a mod would take out needed files but all is good so far.

Thanks for checking that for me, if u didnt mention what you just did I prob wouldnt have thought to do a compelte fresh install and check that folder for all those bifs and bufs:2thumbsup:

R'as al Ghul
08-15-2007, 11:25
Thats what happened, I reinstalled everything and checked that folder and saw what I was missing. Wierd how an uninstaller just for a mod would take out needed files but all is good so far.

Hello Minikiller,

some mod-installers come with uninstallers. But because all mods only overwrite already existing files, those overwritten files are missing from the game when you use the uninstaller. There's no previous version of the files that gets restored, they're simply deleted. The bottom line is that an uninstaller can't work with this game unless it saves the original files somewhere. I haven't come across any mod-installer for VI that does that.
Our mod doesn't offer an uninstall option for that reason.

A fresh install of MTW/VI 2.01 is required or a copy of such a version.
To make a simple copy, go to the Total War folder (C:/Programs/Total War) and right click on the Medieval folder, select copy, now right click somewhere else in the Total War folder and select paste. Voila, a new folder named "Copy of Medieval". Open the folder, find the MedievalTW.exe, right click the exe, hold the button, drag it to the desktop, let go of the button, select "Create shortcut". Voila, a new shortcut to the copied version.
This way you leave your vanilla install unmodded. Of course you need to install the SamWars mod to the copied folder you just created.

R'as

Jochi Khan
12-28-2007, 00:27
Another new player having problem running the Mod.

He has done a new install of MTW/VI/v2.01 plus the three downloads in Yuukis signature. (beta 5 + beta 5 add on + Mappack 1-3)

Run a test tonight. He can get to SamWars lobby and use chat feature.
He can see my hosted game, no version conflict, joins to faction selection screen. All OK as far as here.

When he clicks Ready to go to Unit selection screen he gets a black screen and crashes. I get the message....Player..his name..machine has disconnected from the Server.
We tried this in total four times, twice with previous clean install and twice with a second reinstall.

Anyone have any idea what may be the problem?

R'as al Ghul
12-28-2007, 11:40
Anyone have any idea what may be the problem?

According to your description he's done everything correctly.
I assume that he's a different language version than English?
We've a little mistake in that STWmod_beta5_11b.exe installer. It only installs English language files.
To fix this you need to copy all files from Samurai Warlords\Loc\Eng to Samurai Warlords\Loc\(his language).
beta_8 has multiple language support but this beta_5 does not.

R'as

Jochi Khan
12-28-2007, 16:35
R'as..
Thanks for the quick reply

To fix this you need to copy all files from Samurai Warlords\Loc\Eng to Samurai Warlords\Loc\(his language).

R'as

R'as
I am also assuming that he has another language version other than english.

Would he have to copy all the files from the ENG Folder and paste them into 'his language' Folder or would it be OK to copy the Eng Folder and then paste that into his \Loc Folder? He would then have two folders in there, Eng and 'his language'. Would this cause a conflict?

I am thinking along the same lines as the Sounds Folder for STW sounds that I have installed.(\Sounds\Sounds)
Hmmmmmm... perhaps this is where the Sound Swapper came into the equation. Swap between MTW and STW sounds.

Jochi

Puzz3D
12-28-2007, 19:59
Would he have to copy all the files from the ENG Folder and paste them into 'his language' Folder?
Yes because the eng files have to overwrite his language files.

Jochi Khan
12-29-2007, 18:18
Success!! :2thumbsup:

R'as al Ghul
12-29-2007, 20:44
Success!! :2thumbsup:

:balloon2: :beam: