PDA

View Full Version : KotR IC Tavern Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 05:37
OOC: This is an IC thread for KotR players only.

Down the street from the Diet, there is a large building. As you walk through the door, your eyes attempt to adjust to the dim lighting. You get the distinct feeling that dozens of eyes are on you sizing you up as you walk into the tavern. The sound of men carousing and laughing can be heard clearly. As your eyes adjust, you see multiple bars along the walls with tables in abundance. The beer is plentiful and served in large mugs and steins. Further back, serving wenches take orders for a wide variety of food items. Coffee and other non-alcoholic beverages are available but you do not see many people partaking in them. Further into the tavern, you can hear men singing loudly and badly in German. Stairs lead to upper levels where the beds are soft, the doors can be locked, and no one asks any questions. There is a large basement if the privacy you seek has nothing to do with companionship. The patrons are common and noble alike. You recognize many of the electors and knights from the Imperial Diet. They sit in small knots at tables or lined up at one of the bars. The closest barkeep looks up at you while washing a mug and yells out, "what will you be having?"

OOC information:

1.) This thread will be for IC interaction for all players of the KotR PBM from generic elector to Kaiser (though he might not want to "dirty" himself by slumming with the common folk). Its basically in Rome, or wherever the Imperial capital may be, so its a place to unwind before or after a day's work in the Diet.

2.) You can not be banned for anything you say or do. Though do not be surprised if what you say has political consequences. This should foster a more relaxed atmosphere than the Diet. But, consider what you say in here to be in "public". Anything really secret should be best kept to PM's.

3.) Any interaction between characters that puts one in a negative light must have the consent of all involved. This is the same rule that is in the story thread.

4.) No "official" business. While it is ok to discuss edicts, house politics, and elections, this is not the thread for any "official" announcements. Anything to do with official presenting and seconding of edicts still has to be done in the Diet. Same with official announcements with regards to political assignments such as counts. Anything "official" that is stated in the tavern thread is to be regarded as a rumor and not given weight.

5.) The tavern is a big place so regardless of what "destruction" is wrought upon the place, such as bar fights and the like, you can assume that you can still do what you came to do.

6.) All general .org rules regarding posting still apply. Watch the language. While it can be assumed that your character and the bar maid are not upstairs chatting over tea, we do not need a description that would be more apt for the Penthouse Forum.

7.) Because we are trying to interact with each other and keep a certain "flow" going, double posting is fine. Do not feel that you have to be stingy with the posts. If this thread fills up, I'll just start another.

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 05:39
Jan comes in and sits at the bar. Gunther and Max sit down on either side of him. He is pleased at finding the new place. He wonders who else will show up as he orders a beer.

GeneralHankerchief
08-18-2007, 05:41
Jens Hummel:

*slurring*

And here'sh to my father Ulrich, the FINEST Chancellor the Reich *hic* Nay, the world has ever seen! Thanksh for the boost, Dad!

And thish one'sh for my brudda, Wolfgang. It's because of HIM that I'm too much of a coward to show my face in that big shiny building over there down the way. Sho here's drinksh all around folks, for my family! No finer a family you will find anywhere!

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 05:45
Jan turns toward the young noble

Jens! What are you doing in Rome? I thought you were back in Outremer. Good to see you getting out and about. Don't be too intimidated by the Diet young Jens. Just show some modicum of proper deference and you can say a lot.

GeneralHankerchief
08-18-2007, 05:45
Jens Hummel:

Ah yesh, we're all coming down here in memoriam. To Jonas von Mahren, a great sholdier, theologian, father, and Crushader! Methinksh thish tavern wash opened a mite too late, for surely he would have enjoyed it.

Another round! For Jonas!

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 05:49
Jan raises his mug in honor

I have the feeling that Jonas had the chance to frequent many places like these. But yes, it would have been good to have gotten to know him better. He left Outremer before we came over. He has recently gotten son-in-laws. Maybe they will come by sometime soon and we can all lift our mugs together.

Its so weird to see so many of the old guard passing on. Duke Gunther, my father, Jonas....

Jan gets quiet, stops naming names, and drinks from his mug.

Ignoramus
08-18-2007, 05:59
A door opens and Wolfgang Hummel enters in.

"Jens, what are you doing drunk here in Rome? I had thought better of you. Sober up and we can talk."

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 06:00
Jan eyes Wolfgang when he walks in. Instead of saying anything, he turns and drinks more of his beer.

GeneralHankerchief
08-18-2007, 06:08
Jens Hummel:

Why, dear *hic* brudda, I thought that would be obvioush. I am here with my besht buddies (he spreads his arms wide) shelebrating one of the Reich'sh finesht men!

Ash for why I am here in the firsht place, why not? It'sh not like they're going to give me command of a *hic* army back out Easht.

*He raises his arm in the air, burps, and slumps, asleep.*

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 06:12
Jan looks over at a passed out Jens with amusement and says to himself,

"The way people are dropping out east, be careful what you wish for young Jens..."

AussieGiant
08-18-2007, 06:21
Filing in without seemingly anyone noticing the room becomes slowly silent as through the door enters Duke Arnold's darkly clad retinue and favoured regimental Captains.

Scanning the room the Dread Knight Bane is clearly searching for something or someone. Even with his reverse curved full helm the sweeping motion of his head feels as if all is being revealed to him.

After some moments, the imposing figure of the Duke moves through the fully armed gathering of Austrian soldiers and fighters.

With a slight nod of his helm a silent understanding is passed between the Dread Knight and his Duke as he walks up beside Bane to scan the tavern himself.

Looking at a large and occupied table in a prime location near the hearth, it suddenly dawns on the occupance that the Duke's retinue is staring as one towards them.

By the time Bane has taken three steps towards the large table, the seats are emptied and the serving wench has begun clearing the half eaten meals and wine.

As a group they move without a word towards the table and begin to sit.

Arnold , taking the tables head position, has his back to the wall and is facing the entrance.

Finally the silence is broken when Grom bellows to the barman across the room; "Nice place you've got here fella, BEER, bring me BEER I say!!!"

At that the room returns to normal, the Duke's party begins to relax and talk amongst themselves.

Cecil XIX
08-18-2007, 06:25
I think I few drinks are in order, especially to mourn the dearly departed. In the space of eight years we have lost four honorable men, more than a seventh share of our Generals and fifth share of our electors. Jan and Jens, you two better be careful. It's fine if the Lord has decided to call home his own; a tragedy if the result of simple accident and maliciousness.

A toast, gentlemen! To those dead who have served the Reich well!

AussieGiant
08-18-2007, 06:28
Arnold nods his greeting to Becker, raises his tankard along with the rest of the men at his table.

"To those dead who have served the Reich well!"; the Duke's toast is replied with thunderous approval from the gathered men in the room.

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 06:30
As the Duke walked in, Jan stopped drinking and looked up. He turned back to Max and saw his Teutonic Knight stiffen. Jan moved his right hand out and, with the palm down, waved down subtly in the universal gesture to stand down. Gunther sat unphased through all of this just drinking his beer. When the Duke and his party passed, Jan relaxed while Max turned back to his beer and attempted to enjoy it. Gunther turns to Jan and says, "so, is that the one I've heard so much about?" Jan replies, "yeah... thats him. We've basically agreed to leave each other be but I've always wondered what would happen if we ever ran into each other outside of the Diet again. The last two times that happened, we almost killed each other."

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 06:46
Jan turns when he hears the Austrian group erupt in cheers. He thought he heard Edmund say his name. Sitting and thinking for a moment, Jan makes up his mind. He looks up at the bartender and asks for two more beers. With one in each hand, he walks over to the Austrian table as Gunther comes with and brings his own and Jan's. Max decides to stay seated at the bar.

Gentlemen,

Since we're toasting the fallen, I wish to have one for Sigismund. I think it is only appropriate that I include both of you in on this.

Jan places a beer in front of Edmund and one in front of Duke Arnold. He takes his own back from Gunther. Lifting his mug up, Jan says loudly,

To Sigismund! A good soldier and a good friend! Your are missed!

AussieGiant
08-18-2007, 07:14
Arnold's eye's lock for a moment with Jan's. There is a imperceptible exchange not noticed by the others.

You're right Jan.

To Sigismund, a fine man and a fine Brother!!!

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 07:22
Jan locks eyes right back at Duke Arnold and gives a nod. Nothing threatening, just an acknowledgment. It is clear that he is at the table because he thinks it is the right thing to do, not because he wants to. Before anyone else can notice the tenseness between the two men, Jan downs the rest of his beer.

Well gentlemen, I would love to stay but I need to turn in. Enjoy the beer.

Jan gives polite nod to the Duke and then a nod to Edmund. He then turns and walks away with his grizzled old veteran Gunther behind him. Jan and Gunther meet up with Max at the bar, pay the bartender their tab, and leave.

Ferret
08-18-2007, 15:32
Dieter walks in alone and sits at the bar drinking pint after pint of beer completely ignoring everyone else in the room. Inside he is deeply disturbed by the recent death of KIng Salier and wonders if he will suffer the same fate at the hands of the mongols when he returns to Edessa.

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 15:41
Early in the evening, Jan walks into the Tavern with Gunther and Max in tow. Seeing his brother-in-law Dieter at the bar, Jan takes the stool next to him and orders a pint.

Good evening Dieter, how have you been handling everything? I know a lot of this is new to you so if you have any questions, let me know.

Ferret
08-18-2007, 15:52
I am fine Jan, it just seems to me that the Reich has passed it's Zenith of power. WE have large armies on all our borders, our generals are dropping like flies and bands of rebels seem to be becoming more common inside our lands. It seems to me that only the hard work of our Chancellor is holding the Reich together.
And, worst of all I haven.t had a fight for a while, in fact this looks like as good a place as any.

Dieter leaps up and smacks the peasant next to him right on the jaw, causing uproar in the tavern

(OOC: I was bored and I think he's had a too few many ;) )

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 15:55
Jan leans back and gives Dieter room to swing. In between Dieter's swings at the peasant, Jan taps Dieter on the back to get his attention. He wishes to calm Dieter down before he gets in over his head.

OOC: Oh its cool. Bar fights are perfectly ok in here and pretty much inevitable.

Ferret
08-18-2007, 16:02
Dieter turns to his brother in law after downing a few peasants and looks ashamed.

I'm sorry Jan I got carried away. I think it would be best if I left now before I cause even more trouble.

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 16:07
Jan, Gunther, and Max all stand up and look at the crowd in a universal gesture that makes it clear that they got Dieter's back. The small crowd backs down and resumes their drinking. Those knocked on the ground, get back up and go back to their spots at the bar or tables.

I think that would be a good idea Dieter, we'll stay here and make sure no one follows you out. I'll see you later.

Jan claps Dieter on the shoulder as a goodbye.

FactionHeir
08-18-2007, 18:24
Hans enters the tavern, alone, heading straight to one of the corner tables - however not without ordering a meal and beer with the nearest wench.

As he seats himself, drawing and unfolding a scroll, he scans the room quickly before immersing himself in the scroll's contents.

econ21
08-18-2007, 19:08
Elberhard slouches into the tavern, looking dishevelled, downcast and the worse for wear. He notices his brother Hans, with his head buried in a scroll, and turns away awkwardly.

He approaches the barkeep and orders two pints, sending one over to his brother, with his compliments. His own pint he picks up and admires, as if he has just been re-acquainted with a long lost friend who has done well for himself.

Just as Elberhard is about to savour his first sip, the portly Diet Speaker waddles into the bar and accousts the Prinz.

"@#$%^&!!!ing @#$%^&!!!, I don't believe it!" curses his Elberhard and reluctantly he follows the Speaker out of the tavern, giving a sad backwards gance at the pint of ice cold lager sitting untouched on the bar.

gibsonsg91921
08-18-2007, 19:24
Péter enters the tavern, orders a pint, and sits with Duke Arnold.

Nay, to Sigismund, Ehrhart, and Jonas!

May Edmund and Wilhelm (OOC: is that his name?) be blessed!

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 21:18
Jan walks back in and notices an empty beer on the bar. Looking around, he shrugs and sits down. He orders his own beer and wonders whether the owner of the pint on the bar will come back.

Warmaster Horus
08-18-2007, 21:38
Friedrich enters the tavern, a huge grin all over his face. He's clearly happy about something, and decides to celebrate.

"My friends! I hope I may soon call you that! Today is a good day for me, having been accepted for service in the Duchy of Bavaria. Because this is so close to the Diet, and because I know many members frequent it, I've come here to thank the men that have made that possible."

He looks around, and seeing that a few (not to say many) men have finished their pint, he decides to continue down the path he chose that night. He exclaims in a rather loud voice:

"All drinks are on me tonight! Come, and be merry, for I know I am!"

As the reality of the offer settles in the mind of those gathered in the Tavern, they quickly empty their pints, and rush to the bar to get some more. Friedrich sees the situation, and thinks 'I did a good thing to repay them. I just hope I'll have enough money to pay for all their drinks.'

A lot of shouting ensues, and in the small chaos, he takes a pint that he'd noticed on the bar, and goes to sit at a small table next to the hearth

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 22:03
Jan gulps down his pint, orders his free pint, and raises his mug towards the kind Bavarian general that made this all possible.

econ21
08-18-2007, 22:24
Elberhard hurries into the tavern and rushes to the bar. Finding it empty, he looks around puzzled, like a lost puppy and slumps down next to Jan.

"Evening, Jan! Well, that's a @#$%^&!!!ing turn up for the books, isn't it? Matthias standing again?

There was I, singing his praises and saying no one should be afraid of following such a hard act. It was like I was giving a @#$%^&!!!ing funeral oration.

And then the little @#$%^&!!!er jumps up out of his grave and says he is standing again! It was like the return of the living dead.

Well, I suppose there is at least one man not afraid of following such a hard act!

Oh, and I've put my cards on the table about being Steward of Outremer. If Lothar or any other rules lawyer wants to upset the apple cart, they can. I can't be @#$%^&!!!ed.

We should probably discuss Outremer legislation at some stage. I can't help feeling the King should be given similar standing to the Dukes in terms of influence. But we can perhaps discuss that in the morning.

What I want to know now is - do you know anything about English women? And do they all want to put your @#$%^&!!!s in a nutcracker?"

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 22:33
Jan looks over at Ebelhard with amusement.

First off, I'm sad to hear that your leaving Outremer soon. We could use all of the good people we can get. But, you do have other stuff to worry about so I guess I can't blame ya. Just sorry to see you go.

And I tell ya, its a blessing that Matthias is standing again. Warms my hopes to see a Crusader running for Chancellor. If he didn't run, I don't know who of us would. I know I don't want the job.

I think it was a good move stating out in front about being Steward. If there is going to be any "lawfare" then lets get it out of the way.

I definitely agree the King needs more influence. I wish there was a way to remove the whole house territory thing from Outremer as well. We need more flexibility in who can govern counties. When the Crusades were getting started, the house territories were to make the houses think they had a stake. But, with the passage of CA 11.4, it is obvious that the houses no longer feel they have a stake. So, we should remove the 4 house territories and let them be governed like Edessa, as Imperial territories where the King picks whom he wants to govern them regardless of house affiliation.

As for English women, I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm a little pudgy and not exactly what you would consider "conventionally handsome." And I refuse to pay for it so I don't know much about any women, let alone English ones.

Ferret
08-18-2007, 22:38
Dieter re-enters the bar after calming down and orders a pint for himself, the Prince and Jan to celebrate his promotion to crusader count

As for English women, I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm a little pudgy and not exactly what you would consider "conventionally handsome." And I refuse to pay for it so I don't know much about any women, let alone English ones.

Dieter bursts out laughing

Surely you must be jesting my dear Jan. And I strongly agree with your point on crusader territories, it makes much more sense

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 22:43
Jan happily takes his new free beer from Dieter.

To Dieter, the newest Crusader Count! May the Lord help you as you protect the citizens of Aleppo and serve the Reich in Outremer!

Here Here!

Jan takes a big swig, then turns towards Dieter.

But, seriously, I meant what I said about me. Why do you think I wear a helmet and this Crusader cloak?

OOC: Jan has the traits "a bit rough" and "too comfortable" which means he is a bit pudgy and not too attractive. :beam:

gibsonsg91921
08-18-2007, 23:02
Péter goes and sits by Jan:

Hey cousin, why should Matthias get to run again..? 'Tsnot like he's the emperor or somethin'... He gets too mush power. I sheen it before..

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 23:07
Jan turns to his cousin

Because he has done a good job. He helped Duke Ansehelm get started on the Teutonic Crusade and he can help him return. He's kept the FHA up to snuff and protected Thorn as well as Hamburg. I rather go with who I know than someone I don't know.

gibsonsg91921
08-18-2007, 23:23
True, I'm not shayin' that he'sh done a bad job. I'm shayin' that when you give one man power for too long, bad thingsh happen. Power corruptsh - remember Hummel?

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 23:28
I was not active in politics back when Hummel was Chancellor. But, what his reign did prove is that it is possible to impeach a Chancellor that oversteps his bounds so I am not too worried about Matthias running for a second term.

gibsonsg91921
08-18-2007, 23:30
Agh, give shomeone elsesh a chance cuz! I'm outta here.

Péter leaves, carried by his shieldbearer and lancebearer.

Privateerkev
08-18-2007, 23:37
Looks with amusement as his cousin is carried out by his men.

*sigh*

So many of the youngins don't know how to hold their liquor...

OverKnight
08-19-2007, 01:14
Matthias comes in from the street. He approaches the bartender and asks for a coffee.

"Beer?" He replies.

Matthias begins to go into a description of coffee, how it is grown in Arabia and Africa, but stops as the bartender stares blankly at him. He then requests tea.

"Beer?" The bartender replies.

Matthias grimaces, wondering out loud why the leaves have not made it to cosmopolitan Rome since the Reich now controls most of the eastern trade routes. Finally he asks for anything that does not contain alcohol.

Exasperated, the bartender pours some milk into a pint glass and places it down in front of the Count.

Matthias orders the stew and calmly surveys the room, looking as composed as a man holding a glass of milk in a Tavern can.

OOC: It's tough having the "Sober" trait in a bar. It's not like you can order a club soda in the 13th century.

GeneralHankerchief
08-19-2007, 01:17
Jens Hummel:

Ladiesh and gentlemen, thish ish your Chanshellor! A man too refined for the tashtesh of the common man but yet shtill wishes to help partake in the feshtivitiesh.

Matthiash, Outremer'sh had a bad influenshe on ye! No beer? BAH! I sheem to be the lucky one here, eh? Barkeep! Keep 'em coming!

OverKnight
08-19-2007, 01:24
Matthias raises an eyebrow as he drinks his milk. Setting the glass down he stares at Jens. The intimidating nature of the gesture is ruined by the faint milk moustache clinging to his upper lip.

To each his own. I would prefer coffee, I found the drink very useful during my term.

Actually, I'm not Chancellor anymore, my term ended with the opening of the Diet session. At this point I'm only a candidate.

Still I have to keep my wits about me.

Matthias notices the milk on his lip and with a muttered oath wipes it off.

Privateerkev
08-19-2007, 02:57
Jan watches with amusement as Matthias tries to look imposing in a milk mustache.

Count Matthias,

The front area has beer and such. I think they serve other food items farther back in the tavern. Should be coffee back there. Victor here is new so he probably didn't know that.

OOC: While not an upscale place, the Tavern isn't a dive either. We can safely assume that it carries a wide variety of food and drinks. Everyone should feel that there is something for them here. I'll change the top post to reflect this. :laugh4:

FactionHeir
08-19-2007, 03:53
Hans looks up as Friedrich shouts his appointment and free beers and again as Jan congratulates Dieter. Putting the scroll aside, he blinks a few times to readjust to the dim lighting before walking over to Jan's table

Hail Jan, I see you are back from Outremer as well now? Hans nods politely to Elberhard and Matthias And of course I congratulate your brother in law to his formidable appointment.

Turns to Matthias I see you are running for re-election? Well, I think that will be difficult. Of course you may have more support than I did during said diet session, but many members of the diet are still opposed to a single man serving two chancellorships in a row. I wish you good luck nonetheless.

To Elberhard Why thank you for the pint brother. Why are you not having any? Feeling sober this night eh? WENCH! Bring my noble brother a beer will you?

Privateerkev
08-19-2007, 04:00
Jan turns to Hans

Yes and let me congratulate you as well on your promotion. Your brother made you Crusader Count of Acre. You'll get to make sure that no one sieges the Holy City again.

Jan raises his mug to Hans

May the Lord be with you as you protect the people of Acre and guard the Pope!

Here Here!

As for the Prince here, I think he has a lot on his mind. *laughs*

FactionHeir
08-19-2007, 04:03
Aye does he indeed? Care to indulge me?

It is indeed ironics I should hold Acre once more - the fortress I once took during the first crusade. Incidentally, Salier had offered me Edessa, but that is in better hands with you.

Privateerkev
08-19-2007, 04:10
As for Ebelhard, he's pretty much running the Diet right now with the Kaiser planning his wedding to the ERE princess. He's also Steward of Outremer so he has to deal with people like me who are planning reams of legislation. And,

Jan says the next in a lower voice.

I think he is having women trouble.

As for Edessa, I thank you for your kind words. The King told me he expected me to protect that city and I will do so for as long as I am able. I suspect he offered you Edessa because he was going to send me back to Aleppo to take over my father's estate. But, Ebelhard changed things around. Thats ok, Dieter can deal with Duke Ansehelm since he will be the one who is the official Franconian representative of Outremer and not me. Plus, at Edessa, I am out on the frontier where the action is and I want in on what is being planned next.

FactionHeir
08-19-2007, 04:14
Indeed, and together we shall smite these Mongols, eh?

Privateerkev
08-19-2007, 04:16
Oh we will. Matthias might have taken out the general that killed King Salier and many of my men, but there are three more armies out there. The people of Edessa deserve to be able to come out from behind the thick city walls without fear.

AussieGiant
08-19-2007, 04:58
The Austrian table near the hearth becomes quiet...every man at the table is looking at the Duke as he reads a report...his face takes on an increasingly menacing visage...

Smashing his fist onto the table in frustration the Duke stands abruptly

God damn it!! This is a farce!! Grom, Bane with me!!

At that the Duke leaves trailed by his two retainers.

Privateerkev
08-19-2007, 10:32
Jan walks into the Tavern and sits down at his spot at the bar. He looks tired. So much has happened today. Jan gets a beer and takes a deep satisfying pull. Sitting in thought, Jan ponders all of the decisions he will have to make tomorrow. He hopes he is up to the task. He is going to have to be. Lives are on the line. Jan holds up his mug and toasts someone who was his mentor but is now his peer,

Here is to you King Salier. I know this isn't what you wanted but I hope I can do some good in this position.

With that, Jan downs the rest of his beer, gets up, and leaves. He goes back to his quarters in Rome to pray and to get some much needed rest. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day...

Privateerkev
08-19-2007, 15:27
Jan walks in early. It is still light outside. As he pads in, it is clear he has just woken up. Plopping on a stool at the bar, Jan orders a coffee with some liquor in it. It is placed in front of him and he lifts it to his lips and takes a pull. It is warm in more than one way. Gunther, walks in and whispers in Jan's ear. Jan almost spits out the contents of his cup when he hears the news.

The Prince did what!?! For life?!?

Alright, we have some work to do. Lets go.

Jan finishes his cup in one quick draw and departs.

GeneralHankerchief
08-20-2007, 05:28
Jens Hummel:

*sip*

He is not related to me...

*bang*

*sip*

*bang*

*sip*

*bang*

etc.

Privateerkev
08-20-2007, 05:38
Jan walks in with Gunther and Max dutifully in tow. He sees Jens Hummel banging his head against the bar to a rhythm. In between each bang, Jens takes a drink. Jan figures that with some things, it is truly better to not ask. He sits down further down the bar and orders beer.

Stuperman
08-20-2007, 20:51
Gerhard Steffen walks in, his brow sagged, his eyes red, he stops just inside the enterance of the bar, and waits for a minute as though he has forgotten where he was going.

He cautiously makes his way to the bar, he speaks:

'I'll have a........a.......er, several beer'

'Several, sir?' the barkeep responds

Gerhard stairs off into the distance for a time, with a shake he answers:

'What?, er, yeah, gimme....ah....3 beer now, and..........keep them comming.'

The barkeep pours the first beer, Gerhard drinks it quickly as the barman pours the other 2. Setting down the empty mug and picking up the other 2, one in each hand.

He starts towards a middle table, after 2 steps, he spins quickly back to face the bar, spilling both his beer in the process.

'One more thing' he announces 'have a hooka sent to my table'

'This hashish Conrad sent me works wonders on my illness, but doesn't help the concentration much, or the mouth for that matter' Gerhard ponders to himself as he looks over the room.

After a time of gigling to himself, Gerhard spots Arnold against the wall on the far side of the bar, he summons a quench wench and orders a round for Arnold's entire party, and makes his way over to the table, Joining the game of "Did you hear what Jan said?" already in progress.

Tamur
08-20-2007, 21:21
*Fritz enters the bar hurriedly. He rushes to the bar and whispers something to the tender*

"You want what?" bellows the barkeep.

*Fritz whispers more urgently*

"You want a...", the barkeep begins, but Fritz slaps a hand over the man's mouth just in time. He whispers again, and keeps his hand over the barkeep's mouth a moment until releasing him.

The barkeep grumbles as he walks into the back room, and returns with a rope and two towels. He roughly throws them at Fritz, who hurriedly stuffs the towels into his tunic.

*He turns and sees Arnold and Gerhard, blushes furiously, and makes for the exit.*

Privateerkev
08-21-2007, 03:43
Jan walks in exhausted. He plops down at the bar. The bartender knows him so well now he just puts a mug down in front of him. Jan drinks as he has some random thoughts.

Who knew being King was so tiring? Who ever thought that the King could also be a King-maker? Trying to get Crusader Counts on the same page is like herding cats. I think the Lord is punishing me for all the grief I gave Salier. And I also think the Lord sent Jens Hummel to punish me for all of the outbursts I caused in the Diet when I was younger. And why was Duke Arnold's and Duke Gerhard's table laughing so hard? Why on Earth does my cousin want a rope?!?

While these thoughts were mildly amusing, Jan was tired. He finished his beer, paid for his drink, got up and met up with Max and Gunther, and left with them taking flanking positions.

OverKnight
08-21-2007, 06:34
Matthias walks into the tavern looking worn.

I would much rather face the Mongol Hordes by myself than go through that again.

Perhaps one beer won't hurt.

Matthias sits and savors a rare treat.

Privateerkev
08-21-2007, 06:44
Jan walks in followed by Max and Gunther. Jan had gone to his quarters but he couldn't sleep. Instead he had stayed up for hours writing letters. For now, the letters were sent off. Max and Gunther took up a table by the bar while Jan walked up to Count Matthias. Jan ordered a beer.

Jan says with a grin,
Count Matthias, if you are going to drink, then I insist that you not do it alone.

OverKnight
08-21-2007, 07:07
You and you entourage may have a seat if you wish. I fear my own is less fearsome, a tutor I barely see, a military engineer who is supervising the construction of the Ballista Towers in Edessa, a Teuton who is looking after Adana and my mentor stays in Italy.

Perhaps a Dread Knight, like that walking Iron Mountain Arnold has, would be more imposing.

Still at least I don't have a Pagan Magician, they seem to be more trouble than they're worth.

Privateerkev
08-21-2007, 07:15
Well, Max and Gunther have become a whole lot more protective in the last couple of days. I'm lucky I can go to the bathroom by myself. I certainly don't do it to look intimidating. Its just that if I try to go somewhere without them, they threaten to lock me away in my room. I think their joking... All they say about it is, "We can't afford to lose another King".

*shrug*

So, Matthias, that cup looks a little big to be holding coffee. *grin*

OverKnight
08-21-2007, 07:36
Ah quite astute of you. I'm not a prude, I do have the occasional beer. I just don't enjoy intoxication. It leads to unseemly outbursts in the Diet and broken furniture.

You know, I think half of the objections concerning Outremer would be gone if the King's title wasn't King, no offense meant. You can blame Kaiser Henry for that one. My mentor has told me that Otto von Kassel didn't want it used. He would have preferred Viceroy, Governor-General or Defender of the Holy Sepulchre even. I mean who ever heard of an appointed King?

Still I can just see the Dukes' ears twitch when they hear the title. A Viceroy or Governor wouldn't be a worry, but with a King you have to watch your back. Because Kings outrank Dukes, even if the Duchies themselves are larger and more powerful than Outremer.

Matthias finishes his beer.

I seem to have lost my train of thought.

Warmaster Horus
08-21-2007, 09:13
Friedrich, who'd been sitting in a dark corner, suddenly comes out, and sits next to Matthias.

"Do you want another beer?" Without awaiting a reply, Friedrich shouts: "Bartender, two more here!" He turns back to Matthias, and says, with increasing anger: "So, basically, what you're saying is that there wouldn't have been all that legal squabble in the Diet had there been a Charter Amendment changing the name of the King of Outremer to Governor of Outremer, right?

OverKnight
08-21-2007, 09:59
Thank you Friedrich.

Matthias accepts the beer and puts on the air of a Pub Philosopher.

No, it's too late for a change in title to alter the dynamic that's been established. In the beginning a different title would have made a difference, perhaps, but not now. I doubt any self respecting King would accede to it anyway.

Titles. . .they spent four hours debating the difference between a Crusader Count and a Count. Amazing. . .

Where was I?

Privateerkev
08-21-2007, 13:23
You have a point about the title. I am not fond of it to tell you the truth. But, it is in law and it was given by the Kaiser. For me to ignore that would be disrespectful to both. Plus, its a matter of military discipline. The title carries specific powers, duties, and responsibilities. It lays out what others can expect from me. In turn, the use of it by other shows respect. At least for the title but I hope to earn it for the person as well.

As for the difference between counts, yeah that one was interesting. But, the Charter does lay them out as two different things. Your brother was trying to claim that a Duke could could legally deal with crusader counts in exactly the same way he deals with counts simply because the law said he could deal with counts and those titles are one and the same. As King, I have never claimed the reverse. That would make for an interesting Diet debate. Because, if they are legally the same, I could then start setting building priorities for every county in every Duchy that does not have a count.

*smiles*

Jan drinks his beer

Ferret
08-21-2007, 21:42
Dieter walks into the tavern and orders a beer at the bar to take his mind off the important matters of the moment. He has cast his vote and all he can do now is hope his man wins.

Cecil XIX
08-22-2007, 20:48
Edmund Becker unceremoniusly enters the bar. He plops down on a barstool and orders a whisky, mumbling to himself.

Another household army... Why has the lord cursed me to secure territory when my own legacy is very much insecure?

He shuts up when the drink arrives.

Privateerkev
08-23-2007, 00:51
Jan walks in followed by Gunther and Max. The three go to the bar and order beer.

With a grin on his face Jan is excitedly talking to Gunther about troop dispositions.

"And I want the militia to be retrained with the new armor that will come out of Edessa. And make sure the crossbowmen train on horse sized silhouettes. Be sure the horses get re-shooed before battle, I don't want them stumbling when they charge. Scout out the pass to the northeast of Edessa for that Turkish army that is snooping around. And I want a watchtower in that corner when your done. And make sure Chancellor Matthias watches the area south of Jerusalem. I don't want to get our knickers pulled down like last time. And..."

"Sir!", interrupted Gunther.

Jan looked startled, "What?"

Gunther sets his beer down and asks, "Why are you happy? Duke Ansehelm is quite upset with you. Other Counts are testing their boundaries by picking fights with you. CA 12.7 passed because one of your own crusader counts voted on it. The whole Diet is debating whether we are even to be in Outremer. Why are you smiling so much?"

Jan looked at Gunther and beamed, "Because I got a letter from a lady."

Gunther looked hard at Jan for Jan was not known to be the ladies man and said, "A lady my King?"

"Yup!" answered Jan, "The fairest lady in all the world."

"Well you old dog you!" said Gunther as he clapped Jan's back. "Max and I have been watching your room so close, we didn't know you were having anyone in there."

Jan shook his head, "Its not like that Gunther. This lady is a friend. Looks like our problems are over. We'll leave the politics here to the politicians. As for us, we get to go back to Outremer and kick the Mongols out once and for all."

Jan excitedly returns to talking about logistics...

AussieGiant
08-30-2007, 04:09
Duke Arnold enters the Tavern. Dress in an elegant but simple black outfit, he takes a seat at his usual table by the hearth.

Ordering a beer he sits at his table alone reading through numerous reports.

EternalOlympia
08-30-2007, 13:36
A woman dressed in a tight-fitting but smudged bliaut nearly runs out from the tap room holding a large wooden mug full of frothing dark beer. She slows as she approaches Duke Arnold's table, tucks a stray curl behind her ear, and sets the mug in front of Arnold. She smiles at him and glances quickly at his reports.

Ah, I see you read! Can't imagine looking at hen scratches like that and making sense of them.

Privateerkev
08-30-2007, 14:23
OOC:

Hi EO!

I apologize but this thread is for KotR players only. But your more than welcome to join us. Here is the thread for you to post in if you have any questions or wish to join.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=90154&page=19

:beam:

*edit*

Please disregard as this has been figured out. :D

AussieGiant
08-30-2007, 14:54
A woman dressed in a tight-fitting but smudged bliaut nearly runs out from the tap room holding a large wooden mug full of frothing dark beer. She slows as she approaches Duke Arnold's table, tucks a stray curl behind her ear, and sets the mug in front of Arnold. She smiles at him and glances quickly at his reports.

Ah, I see you read! Can't imagine looking at hen scratches like that and making sense of them.

Glancing up from his reports Arnold face turns from a scowl to a more neutral expression.

He surveys the women in front of him for signs of a deliberate insult before finally deciding to continue as if there was none intended.

Yes, I can read, although the writing is not mine so I can't take credit for the scrawl in front of me.

Most of my advisors are captains and not classically trained.

What is your name?

EternalOlympia
08-30-2007, 16:10
The lady looks confused for a moment when Arnold says "classically trained" but then regains her composure, and she bobs a bow.

I'm Larisa. My father's name is Vidmar. But I'm not a Dane! Let's just not start into th...

She stops herself mid-word, pulls her full lips into a tight smile, and blushes. She pins up a cascade of long black hair that has fallen lose, then bends down, a bit low and very close to Arnold, pointing to one of the words on the report.

What does that say?

Privateerkev
08-30-2007, 16:15
King Jan walks into the tavern with Max and Gunther dutifully taking up flanking positions. They take their usual seats at the front bar. A barkeep sees them and simply pours three mugs before setting them down in front of the thirsty patrons. Jan looks over and sees a barmaid talking to Duke Arnold in an "interested" manner. Jan chuckles to himself and hopes that she knows what she is getting herself into.

AussieGiant
08-30-2007, 16:23
Clearing his throat while gain some composure at how close the lady is, the Duke focuses intently on where Larisa is pointing on the page

Ahh...well...that says...let me see, I believe, that's an attempt at the word, "ambush".

The governor of Budapest is requesting that an army is placed north of the city in a position to ambush any Polish armies venturing south.

Making a deliberate effort to look directly back into Larisa's eye's the Duke continues after a moment of assesment at her understanding.

Do you know what an "ambush" is? Did you say you WERE or WERE NOT Danish?

EternalOlympia
08-30-2007, 16:42
Larisa laughs merrily and straightens, brushing against Arnold's arm as she does so.

Oh, of course I know what an ambush is! I can't read, but I'm not dumb. And no, I am not, not, not a Dane. No. I am a daughter of the Svea, and my father's father fought with Erik at Uppsala on that dreadful day that Erik was taken with a spear.

She remains looking at Arnold for a moment, appearing almost regal if it were not for her faded hemp dress, then giggles as she notices other patrons.

But this daughter of the Svea is needed in the kitchen. A pleasure to meet you Arnold. Perhaps you will be here often?

Without waiting for an answer she scurries into the kitchen.

AussieGiant
08-30-2007, 16:54
Closing his eyes for a few seconds while shaking his head in amazement, Arnold opens them again to see the retreating figure of Larisa heading back towards the bar

Okay then...nice...bliaut...nice...very nice.

So, she's not Danish.

Svea...where do I know Svea from?

At that moment Arnold retinue arrives, including his Priest.

PRIEST GET OVER HERE NOW!! I NEED YOU TO ANSWER A QUESTION!

Arnold Priest is immediately detained from fleeing the Tavern and dragged bodily across the room by Bane and Grom, his feet a full metre off the ground.

Tamur
08-30-2007, 17:38
*Fritz von Kastilien opens the door as if to enter, but immediately notices Bane eyeing him, along with Arnold, Jan and their retinues. He coughs discreetly, then turns around and says over his shoulder* Oh, oh, I forgot that palimpsest back at the church!

*Fritz makes a hasty exit*

Privateerkev
08-30-2007, 17:43
Jan sees his cousin enter and is about to greet him when Fritz turns around and leaves. Jan hears something about "forgot" and "church".

"What'd he forget this time?" Jan says to himself as he drinks his beer.

EternalOlympia
08-30-2007, 18:18
Larisa returns and walks slowly over to Jan's table, tucking a stray piece of fabric from her bodice back under her bliaut.

"Excuse me!" she says, and motions for everyone to move their mugs.

She wipes the table down, making sure to put her neck very close to Jan as she does so. Then she pulls a few stray strands of from her eyes, smiles at Max and Gunther, then turns to Jan.

"Anything I can fetch for you, sir?"

Privateerkev
08-30-2007, 23:02
As Larisa moves to wipe the bar, Jan backs away from her in order to keep a respectful distance. Max puts a hand on his sword hilt due to someone unexpectedly coming so close to his charge but Jan turns over and motions with his hand for Max to stand down. Gunther just looks over at Jan with a big grin on his face as he drinks his beer. When Larisa finishes and asks if Jan wants anything, he replies,

No thanks m'lady. We're good here.

He then gives her a respectful head nod and returns to his beer.

OOC: If Larisa is this close to Jan, she'll notice that he is not exactly what you would consider conventionally attractive though he's not exactly ugly either. She would also notice that as he sits on the bar stool, his shirt and tunic bunch up into a roll. She can't tell if its the fabric bunching up or a "spare tire" and "slight beer belly" forcing the fabric out.

AussieGiant
08-31-2007, 02:29
Arnold's table is in conversation for some time...finally in a loud burst the Duke pounds the table and roars.

SWEDEN!!!! That's it!! SWEDEN!

EternalOlympia
08-31-2007, 06:19
"Very well then, if you need anything I am always at your service."

Larisa blinks at Jan and smiles, then bends over and whispers something in his ear. She turns on her heel, and is nearly to the back room when the uproar begins at Arnold's table.

She laughs loud and comes running over, nearly toppling into Arnold's lap in her excitement.

"Do you know of my country? Ah, it is a beautiful place, full of lakes and forests and farmland and grand cities... well, not as grand as here of course, but still... ah, it is so beautiful." She stands staring into space for a moment, and dabs at her eyes with the hem of her dress. Then she looks at Arnold as she tilts her head ever so slightly.

"Thank you. Thank you for this reminder of my home. Someday perhaps you would like to visit there. I could be the best of guides for you."

She smiles at Arnold, rocks back and forth on her heels a moment, then suddenly lunges forward and gives him a kiss on the cheek. Then she makes an embarrassed curtsey, and scampers off to the kitchen where the tender is hollering for her help.

Privateerkev
08-31-2007, 06:45
Jan remains composed as Larisa whispers in his ear. But, his cheeks flush. He watches her as she leaves his side and goes over to Duke Arnold. Jan turns and says something to Gunther too low to hear. Gunther looks at Jan and nods slightly. Gunther's elbow shoots out and knocks Jan's drink off of the bar. Jan acts surprised and Gunther gets up and walks over to Larisa where he tells her,

Excuse me m'lady, I accidentally knocked the King's drink off of the bar. Would you please come over and bring a towel?

AussieGiant
08-31-2007, 06:58
The glint in Arnold's eye is very clear to the members of his retinue.

"Are you going to chop her head off or go and talk to her?" Grom's question has the entire table waiting for an answer.

"Anytime you look at someone like that it's usually one or the other."

Pausing for a moment Grom dabs his serviette in a bowl of water and moves towards Arnold at the head of the table.

"ahh you have some lipstick on your cheek my liege, let me get wipe that off."

Even Bane's Full Helm is able to convey the shock at what Grom is attempting to do.

With Grom's hand just inches from the Duke's face, the dreaded look is a sight to behold.

"Touch me Grom...and you'll be sucking soup through your ass for about a year. Capish!!??"

There's a moment of hesitation from the big barbarian. Some small voice inside his head screams at him to reconsider what he is doing.

"Ahh, since you put it like that then you might want to do it yourself."

Nervously handing the serviette to his Lord, Grom slides back to his original position on the bench seat, the stunned looks on his companions faces clearly causing more confusion in the young warrior.

“What!!?? What did I do wrong?”

EternalOlympia
08-31-2007, 13:49
Larisa returns with two towels draped over her arm. She wags a finger at Gunther, then begins cleaning up while humming softly to herself.

Privateerkev
08-31-2007, 14:55
While Larisa is cleaning up the beer, Jan takes the oppurtunity to lean down and whisper something in Larisa's ear.

EternalOlympia
08-31-2007, 16:30
Larisa giggles as Jan begins, but then finishes her wiping up and stands straight and tall. She pulls a shoulder of her dress up that had slipped down and, speaking just loud enough so everyone can hear, she grins and says:

Thank you for letting me know about that, Jan, it is a relief. I was worried that belly of yours was from bowel problems.

She covers her mouth, eyes wide, and disappears into the kitchen.

Privateerkev
08-31-2007, 16:44
After Larisa leaves, Jan looks down at his belly. He can swear that it stares back at him. "You'd think that with all the battles I've been fighting, it would go away," Jan thinks to himself.

Gunther is watching Jan through all of of this and says with a smile, "My King, you know your not exactly helping your weight problem with all the beer you have been drinking."

Jan looks back at Gunther with an embarrassed look and says, "well it hasn't gotten in the way of my fighting ability yet so I try not to worry about it too much." With that said, Jan orders another beer to replace the one that was spilled.

Gunther maintains his amused look and asks, "what hasn't gotten in the way? Your belly or the beer?"

"Both", Jan grunts. Jan slumps in his stool drinking his beer and watches Larisa from afar. "Bowel problems?", he mutters as he shakes his head.

With this, Gunther and Max can't take it anymore and bust out laughing. Jan, looks annoyed at first but lightens up and starts chuckling. The three men resume their drinking.

Privateerkev
08-31-2007, 16:56
As the three men sit there drinking, Gunther sees Jan reading something. Jan's eyes go wide with shock.

"My king, what is it?!", says Gunther as he reaches for his sword hilt. Max's eyes dart around the room immediatly assessing possible threats.

The King regains his composer and tells Gunther, "not here. We have to leave. Now." Jan leans in and gives Gunther some instructions.

Max gets up and walks to the front door and opens it. As the cool air blasts his face he looks outside with one hand on his sword. "Clear!", he yells out. Jan writes something down and passes it to Gunther. As Jan walks over to Max, Gunther walks over to the barkeep and says something. No one notices Gunther place the note under a half-full mug of beer. Gunther then walks over to the front door and blocks it as the other two men leave. While Max leads King Jan outside, Gunther stops patrons from leaving in order to make sure the King isn't followed. After he sees the King and Max round a corner, Gunther follows out the door with his hand on his sword.

The barkeep yells out for Larisa to come and collect the mugs.

AussieGiant
09-01-2007, 08:42
Watching the departure of Jan and his companions Arnold says to know one in particular.

"Looks like another crisis in Gods own Country."

"Right then, I'm off to bed...Grom your paying for everything tonight after that effort of yours earlier."

Standing the Duke moves towards the stairs. Spying Larisa behind the bar the Duke smiles and blows her a good night kiss.

From across the room Grom elbows Bane at the sight.

"Did you see that Bane!!??"

"The kiss?" replied Bane.

"No, the smile! That's the first time I've ever seen him smile!!"

The priest can't help but smile at the banter between the Duke's two companions.

EternalOlympia
09-01-2007, 15:09
Larisa blushes and smiles, then blows a kiss back and calls after him

"Do you dance, Duke Arnold? Come back and we will have the musicians here!"

EternalOlympia
09-01-2007, 20:06
Larisa bustles about cleaning up after all her customers have left.

"Horst, how do we get more customers in here? I'm trying my best, but they wander by on the street and don't come in!"

An inarticulate grunt comes from the back room. She pauses while wiping up a particularly sticky corner.

"What if we put a sign out front, advertising authentic kraut?"

She sticks her lip out, resumes the mopping half-hearted.

"Authentic wenches?"

A more interested grunt issues from the kitchen. She laughs loud, her black braids falling down from their clips. She shakes her head.

"No, not in Rome I guess."

She resumes her cleaning, now chewing on her lower lip. When the cleaning is done, she bids farewell to Horst, looks the place over once more, and walks out the door.

gibsonsg91921
09-01-2007, 20:13
Péter walks in after his battle with the Russians. He hasn't been in Rome for a while, and wants to unwind before the Prussian Army departs for Vilnius. He doesn't like waiting, and waiting is what he must do while the Second Franconian Household Army, or the Saxon Army, is training. He sees a dark-haired girl leave, looking a bit distressed.

"Now there's something you don't see everyday. Horst - a pint."

AussieGiant
09-02-2007, 10:40
Making his way to his corner suite Arnold mused to himself.

Dance, I haven't danced in months. The last time I was dancing was at one of Prinz Elberhard's huge ballroom extravaganzas. The Prinz could certainly party that was for sure.

Dancing with Larisa would certainly stir up enough gossip to fuel month’s worth of discussion.

He was pretty sure his advisor the ex Count of Venice would disapprove entirely. Ever since the Chancellors attempts at a State wedding had failed he had been spending months trying to find him a suitable bride from the Merchant class.

As he kept telling the former Count, he didn’t need money…god had granted him Austria and it was a ducal seat drowning in money. Budapest, Venice and Vienna were massive cities earning substantial sums for the Chancellor and Kaiser. No one could ever say Austria didn’t contribute to the royal coffers.

Still, time was against him. Now in his early thirties it was becoming an ongoing embarrassment that he had yet to sire an heir. If he didn’t marry soon the Captains and governors of his House would push even harder for him to clearly nominate an heir from the other Austrian Noble families.

Every move he made, every woman he spoke to was seen as some sign or other about his potential interests or intentions.

If a state wedding was not required and money was never going to be an issue then in reality he could tell them all to go to hell and see anyone or marry anyone he chose.

With that thought, he resolved to not only have musicians invited to the Tavern but host a huge event there as soon as possible. He would invite everyone. Horst will have the event of the year and he would pay for everything…and what’s more, Larisa would be a guest rather than a maid.

EternalOlympia
09-03-2007, 06:17
Larisa arises after a day of peaceful relaxation, and finds a note under her door. She furrows her brows at it, then reads slowly, sounding out words.

"A ball... at the Tavern!"

She stops in stunned silence for a moment, then begins scurrying first one way, and then another, all the while muttering to herself about everything she must do. Finally she stops in the middle of her bedroom, falls backwards onto her mattress, and lies there with her eyes open but seeing nothing at all around her.

"Arnold..."

She crosses to the small window, pulls the rags up which cover it, and shouts across the street.

"Horst! The Duke has solved our problem! Hire the Holzmeiers for cooks. No, hire their cousins. Oh, hire all of them! And we need those plates cleaned! And..."

Larisa prances around the room merrily, leading herself in a twirling dance, then runs to the washbasin and readies herself for the day.

EternalOlympia
09-04-2007, 15:02
"It's a long journey, Horst, even in a carriage! I can't expect to be back here every weekend!"

Larisa was wiping up after some very rowdy customers had spilled bean stew all over the wall. From the kitchen came a barely audible grumble.

"No Horst, I'm not going to find a replacement for me. That's your job. And besides, how am I going to find a replacement when every woman who sees me turns the other way? The people here aren't like at home."

Horst appeared in the doorway to the kitchen, his belly bobbing up and down as he walked. His grubby beard and thick brows were still for a moment, then he let out a deep breath.

"God speed you then, girl. And don't get caught!"

Tamur
09-05-2007, 18:11
*Fritz von Kastilien walks through the door. Well, in truth he slides through the doorway, hits his head on one side of it, and stumbles over to the counter*

Morgning Horr... Horp... Horst. I wongher if you could do me a favour. Could you give me jus' two... two more bottles of Agua Vita. Just little teeny ones.

*Fritz holds his fingers up close to his face and tries pressing them together, but they won't come together*

Look at that, Horsht, my fingerzh are numb.

*Horst brings the two bottles, collects the money, and then Fritz slaps him on the back*

You're a good man, a good man. And how about that Siegfried, eh? How about him, eh?

*Fritz breaks into a slightly maniacal laugh and slaps Horst on the back*

He is a good man too! A good man...

*Fritz wanders towards the door, mumbling over and over "a good man". By the time he goes out he is weeping openly*

*Horst wipes up some drool on the countertop, watches Fritz go, and shakes his head*

FactionHeir
09-14-2007, 15:58
Having disembarked ship only hours ago, Hans enters the rather abandoned tavern.
He surveys the room, not noticing the presence of any elector and walks up to the barkeep. Hans can then be seen exchanging a few muffled words and showing some parchment to the barkeep, who nods and goes on some lengthy explanation.
Hans looks somewhat contrite but hands the barkeep some coin before seating himself in his usual corner, forcefully gripping the parchment.

GeneralHankerchief
09-20-2007, 23:21
Dietrich von Dassel:

*banging his mug on his table, calling for attention*

Gentlemen!

It is clear to me that the Diet has no longer become a place of free speech. Opinions are now filtered by the Kaiser before they are allowed to be voiced for all to hear. Therefore, this is the only place left to properly debate! Come one, come all, and let us have a proper, unfiltered discussion of the issues!

The first round of drinks are on me, Electors!!!

gibsonsg91921
09-20-2007, 23:43
Hear hear, Dietrich! We have much to discuss. It seems the Greek has more influence in this Diet than I thought, the little @#$%^. She'll get an apology from me once I'm long dead and so are all of her ilk. I came into politics believing the Byzantines would be useful allies for protecting the Meditteranean, but they have outlived their usefulness and it is time for all of them to die. The men, women, and children.

GeneralHankerchief
09-21-2007, 00:34
Dietrich von Dassel:

While I do not deny that Theodora is merely a tool of her father, poisoning your brother, and generally making a mockery of the Diet, I do not advocate a policy of war with the Byzantines. They would extend our front far too much.

Let us finish up with the old foes first, eh? Last I checked, Poland and Hungary still needed a good swift kick in the rear. Several of them, actually! You would deny them of what is coming to them? Peter, we need more men like you ready to plant your foot up their ends!

gibsonsg91921
09-21-2007, 03:36
Ah, the Poles are downsh and deadsh. Fritzsh will take good care a' 'em. I'm shick of my brother being Emperor and tellingsh me what to do, ya knowsh? It's all cuzsh of that @#$%^, Tsheodorash. Larsh, Ulrichsh? Take me awaysh.

Peter's shieldbearer and lancebearer carry him out of the Tavern. Peter doesn't drink often, so it gets to him quickly.

Warmaster Horus
09-21-2007, 16:34
Friedrich, having just exited the Diet, with the scribes' notes of what happened, enters the Tavern. He sits -scrolls in a hand, beer in another- in a dark corner, sombre but light enough to read properly. Time passes while he reads the minutes, and eventually someone from the Diet enters. Friedrich addresses him:

"As the Diet indeed is a difficult place to openly voice one's opinion, I shall do it here: if the Kaiser wants re-unification, then why do we not conquer Byzantium, purely and simply? In addition to the fact that we would be re-unified, we'd be joining Outremer to the Reich "Proper" and we'd be doing a great show of force, telling the Byzantines that we are not to be trifled with.

Might someone help me with this?"

OOC: the "someone" from the first paragraph depends on who actually answers first. I'll add it in later.

FactionHeir
09-21-2007, 16:48
Our forces might be spread quite thinly then, don't you think? Our center holdings would then be threatened in addition from Hungary in the north and Venetians and Egyptians from the south while we still battle our enemies at the old fronts.
Besides, which house would reign over that many regions?

AussieGiant
09-22-2007, 11:39
Walking into the Tavern the Duke proceeds to kick a chair clean across the room. The immediate response is complete silence and a room full of people frozen half way through whatever they were doing.

BARMAN!!! Drinks on me ALL night!!

Another moments passes as the room absorbs what has just been said. A split second later there’s a mad rush to the bar as all hell breaks loose!!

gibsonsg91921
09-27-2007, 03:00
Lars and Ulrich peer their heads into the bar gingerly and walk in. They sit down nervously, for a couple minutes.

Privateerkev
10-01-2007, 14:55
Jan walks into the bar, looks around for Larisa, and relaxes when he doesn't see her.

Gentlemen!

I good man died today! I wish to drink to his memory. The first round is on me!

Jan lifts a full mug up high.

To Kaiser Siegfried!

Cecil XIX
10-01-2007, 16:42
To Kaiser Siegfried!

Privateerkev
10-01-2007, 16:46
Count Becker!

Good to see you again!

Jan takes a long pull from his mug

Warmaster Horus
10-01-2007, 18:24
Friedrich pops in briefly, before his departure up north.

I already said it in the Diet, but here it's more meaningful, perhaps, especially with a drink.

To Kaiser Siegfried! He guided us rather well, all things considered. Although at the end...

But that is not what one speaks of!

To Kaiser Elberhard! May he guide us like his predecessor.

Friedrich drains a mug, and then leaves quickly.

gibsonsg91921
10-06-2007, 20:41
Péter von Kastilien marches in, singing after leaving the Diet, with all the dignity of a Norse God.

Free drinks for everyone, all night! The spoils of war are plentiful!

He flashes the coins from Constantinople.

Countrymen, the Greeks are festering in their wealth! Come east to Wahrheitburg to relieve them of it! But first,

LET'S PARTY!

Péter downs his flagon in one chug, apparently a much better drinker since he left.

econ21
10-13-2007, 20:51
The Tavern is boarded up and dark. Inside, a family hides, cowering behind the bar. The sound of screams can be heard outside. The Byzantines are taking no prisoners - even the old are butchered, but they are fortunate compared to the horrors inflicted on the young.

Greek voices can be heard, close by:

“A tavern! There must be lots of booze in there! Break down the door, boys!”

The father of the family draws a sword, preparing to make a stand. His wife grabs his arm and he follows her eyes to look at their children.

“It would be kinder at your hand, my love.”

The father shakes his head, tears in his eyes - he cannot do it. With grim determination, his wife takes the sword…

econ21
12-12-2007, 23:48
A large tavern in Nuremburg:

"Well, it's official then - Duke Lothar has invited the Kaiser to call the Diet in this city and the Kaiser has accepted!"

"Praise be - all those high falutin' Lords will bring a fair few florins to this place."

"Aye, and after the recent chaos, I suspect one or two will have squirrelled away a fair amount of private wealth that is now burning a hole in their pockets!"

"Right, let's get this place sorted out then. The year is almost out and some Electors may set off for the Diet early."

"Yes, but I wonder what's happening down in Ragusa and outside Venice..."

"Oh, be quiet - likely this place will be full enough of talk about current affairs and politics when those Lords arrive. Let's get to work! And make sure there is a large sign "OPEN FOR BUSINESS" outside the door."

Zim
12-13-2007, 09:11
Andreas walks into the tavern. From his somewhat dusty appearance, it would seem he came here straight from his ride to Nuremburg. He walks up to the bar.

"Barkeep, one mug of ale, please".

Ferret
12-13-2007, 17:50
Dieter enters the tavern after being freed from Magdeburg by Fritz. He sees Andreas.

Ah you must be the new crusader I've heard about! What was it, Jan...no, Gunther...no, ah! It's Andreas isn't it? Its damn rewarding down there I'll tell you, nice knowing that God is on your side. Alas I did not know Matthias well but have heard some stories and some say that he is not as chivalrous as the Kings of past but that is beyond my knowledge, I'm sure is a brave man, takes guts to stay there in defiance of an Empire. What do you think of the place then? Do check up on some of my old friends, Maximillian and Friedrich when you make it back to Aleppo, as I'm sure you will. Good luck as well lad!

Ramses II CP
12-13-2007, 18:58
The door to the bar is slammed aside and Fritz von Kastilien enters with three of the men from his retinue. Fritz does not look happy to be there.

"Go on then you halfwits, drink yourselves stupid on me but buy your own whores!"

A small purse changes hands and the three non-nobles pull up seats at the bar while enjoying a noisy debate on who has killed more Danes. Fritz, meanwhile, looks about grimly, gives a short nod to Dieter and Andreas, and takes a table on the dim side of the bar, near the door. When the girl comes by Fritz growls something at her before she can speak, and she hurries away without even a glance backwards, never to return to his table.

Leaning down Fritz withdraws a thick packet of documents from an overburdened leather case and proceeds to shuffle through them while squinting endlessly. Anyone straying too near his table receives a blank, questioning glare.

:egypt:

Zim
12-13-2007, 20:54
Andreas nods to Fritz before turning back to answer Dieter.

Yes, it is Andreas. I don't believe I have the pleasure of knowing your name? Matthias is a great man, I think he may just be more pragmatic than some (Andreas hasn't yet had his delusions shattered concerning how dreaful some of the famous figures in the Reich are :clown: ). I am sure that is what makes him the right man for Outremer at such a grim time as this. I have found Outremer to be fine, although I've seen most of it from a tent out in the field so far. If we can whittle down those enormous Byzantine armies, perhaps I can become acquainted with the amenities of Antioch. I will try to remember those names, sir.

Andreas takes a swig of his beer and starts to stare into it, looking worried.

Ferret
12-13-2007, 21:48
Don't know my name! ha! I was a crusader like yourself, trying to make a name for myself, luckily I happened to be related to the King. I'm sure you will reconquer the lands there soon enough, those purple-lovers are no match for the crusaders. Please don't call me sir Andreas, I'm sure I will soon learn of heroic victories and conquest on your part. And don't look so worried! The diet is always a good laugh and the arguments are all meant in good will. Don't forget to have fun!...Oh I almost forget, the name's Dieter, Dieter Bresch. I'm a count from Franconia and the bane of all Danes.

Dieter slapped him on the back and walked over to Fritz's table, ignoring the cold glare. Dieter speaks in a much quieter and reserved tone of voice

Good evening Fritz, may I be of any assistance in those papers? I am in your debt for what happened at Magdeburg and will do what I can to make up for it.

Ramses II CP
12-13-2007, 22:26
Sweeping most of the papers back into the case Fritz waves one full of densely packed prose in an uneven hand around.

Dieter. 'Evening. Just trying to drudge through these status reports. Bloody merchants and scribes! If they ever learned to simply say 'Bought 500 barrels of gunpowder,' or 'Palermo was captured by Dieter von Kassel,' think what practical men might accomplish!

No, though, it cannot ever be thus. Instead it's a thousand words on the necessity of more gold and then a list of articles purchased.

Fritz brutally slams his fist on the tabletop, causing the girl to startle from dreamily gazing at Andreas.

Did you know a Franconian had taken Palermo on the Kaiser's orders? Young von Kassel's exploits in the Levant showed a very practical head, but what in the name of heaven is he going to do from Palermo? Was Elberhard trying to get him out of the way?

Rage and incomprehension twist briefly across Fritz's scarred visage before his blank, angry look returns.

Do you know Dieter, it's all here somewhere? All the sense of everything. The why of it. Often I think God placed us here just to seek that why. Only, then, what possessed him to put the vile scribes here to hide it so well?

Taking a deep breath Fritz pauses, but not long enough that you feel compelled to interrupt him.

No. I suspect you could not help, but I thank you for the offer. I am not a drinker, but Robert up there will see you under the table if you're not careful.

Ferret
12-13-2007, 22:42
I'm sorry that I cannot help you now but I'm sure oppertuinities will arise in the future. I am also confident that your managements skills will save us from the incompetence of our scribes and assure you that I do not plan to get drunk for a long time, it is unholy.

Zim
12-15-2007, 10:16
Andreas walks into the tavern, looking weary from the long day at the Diet. He immediately sits down and orders a beer and simple meal. After making his order, he begins to shift through a large stack of papers, carefully making sure to turn them over when the barmaid brings his food and drink.

Privateerkev
12-15-2007, 10:22
Dieter walks into the tavern. It is clear he has never been in a place like this before. He just stands in the doorway and looks around. He sees someone he recognizes from the Diet. That older Crusader. Dieter goes up to the bar and takes a seat next to Andreas.

Zim
12-15-2007, 10:40
Andreas turns towards Dieter as the latter sits down, turning his papers upside down to prevent their being read.

Hello, Herr von Essen. How did you find today's Diet?

Privateerkev
12-15-2007, 10:56
Dieter is about to answer when he realizes the bartender is staring at him. He asks for a beer. The bartender stares at him for a second, shrugs, and pours him a mug.

Dieter takes a big pull and almost chokes on it. His head starts swimming.

Umm... hi Sir Andreaaaauusss. Yeah, the big building type thing is confusing. Everyone juuuuust yells alot. I don't even know what to say half the time. I'm afraid I'll just get yelled at. I think I just accidentally told off the Kaiser too. I hope he knows I didn't mean anything bad. I just want to know how were going to pay fooor things.

Dieter takes another pull and he starts swaying on his bar stool.

How bout you Annndreaaaaus? Howd you like the Dyet?

*Belch*

Zim
12-15-2007, 11:11
After so many odd moments in his short time in Nuremburg, Andreas seems to be learning to react better. Rather than looking shocked, he just shrugs slightly and raises an eyebrow at young Dieter.

I wouldn't worry too much. I doubt the Kaiser will take what you said in a negative light. It is a valid worry. I think the Kaiser wants to provide the Reich with a lasting goal to unite it, and his plan concerning money from sacking is to provide the sort of moral boost to that goal to make it sustainable in the eyes of the citizens of the Reich. However, I worry that it hamstrings us too much. It will make it hard when we really do need the money, like the current situation where the Reich can't even afford the armies it needs to defend itself.

Overall I think the Diet is going well, despite some slight derailing into religious arguments. Relatively little time has been spent arguing about obscure bits of law, and all of the edicts have broad goals. I wonder at a few of the newer members. In particular, I did not find it appropriate that Lukas insult people who have fought many battles for the Reich, implying that because they discuss religion or law as well as battles, they are not "soldiers".

Andreas looks a bit concerned at Dieter's quick passage into inebriation

You do know you can drink beer a bit more slowly than that?

Privateerkev
12-15-2007, 11:20
*hic*

Dieter tries to look at Andreas and just squints a lot. The mug isn't even half empty yet.

I thiiiiinnk your right abut that stuffff you jus sed. It wus gud tlakin to ya. Butt I shuld get goen or Seeberg is gunna get mad at meee.

Leaving the half drunk beer on the bar, Dieter staggers off his seat, and stumbles to the door to head to the small apartment building reserved for young electors.

Zim
12-15-2007, 11:29
Another shrug and eyebrow raise later, Andreas turns back to his papers and orders another beer.

gibsonsg91921
12-15-2007, 14:56
Peter bursts into the Tavern and sits down with Andreas.

Ale, please!

These rabble-rousers in the Diet remind me of how I used to be.

How's your first Diet, son?

Warmaster Horus
12-15-2007, 15:06
Friedrich enters the Tavern, quickly orders some ale, and goes to sit at a table in a dark corner. Angry mumbling, with a few sighs mixed in can then be heard... An clear sentence is heard at some point though:
"At least the Reich is unified... More or less. Luther should never have come in there... Ahh, well... We'll see how this goes."
The mumbling and sighs start again.

gibsonsg91921
12-15-2007, 15:09
Friedrich! My friend, come sit with Andreas and I. I have to congratulate you on your great services to Austria the last twenty years. Austria is a huge piece of land and they would not have been able to defend without you or Tancred.

Now, enjoy a beer with us!

Warmaster Horus
12-15-2007, 16:09
Friedrich looks up to Péter, gets up resignedly and goes to his table. After setting down, he says:
"Péter, I wish I were worthy of your praise. I made mistakes, and wish only to atone for them. Backing Wolfgang Hummel as I did was clearly an error, yet I did not see it at the time. Attacking Manouel of Zavarnikeia was another mistake, yet once more I was blind to the danger.
I did those things for the Reich, thinking it the best thing to do... Now, the Diet reconvenes for the first time in years. Already, factions are forming; and despite the call of our Kaiser to forgive and forget, to leave the past were it should be, I know it will not happen. The mere presence of Luther proves that; he is a strong man, who will not abandon his ideals. He will keep pushing for the massacre of the Byzantines, spreading discord even though he might not wish it.
The Reich needs a strong leader. Promise me, Péter von Kastilien, when you are Kaiser, you will that strong leader.
Now, let us forget about it. Let's drink!"
Friedrich then raises his mug, downs it in one go, and asks for some more.

gibsonsg91921
12-15-2007, 16:17
Friedrich, this is a promise I will most certainly make! To the Reich!

_Tristan_
12-15-2007, 16:59
Hugo de Cervole enters, walks to an empty stool at the bar, far from anybody. When the bartender faces him, he places his order.

A glass of French wine, red preferably.

This gets him a black stare from the bartender.

No such thing here, young man. Ale ?

Staring back at the bartender, Hugo replies.

Piss-pot ale, then...

When served, Hugo doesn't drink but keeps on looking at his mug, deep in thoughts.

gibsonsg91921
12-15-2007, 18:22
Hugo, why don't you join us? I love to meet new friends at this tavern. I'm just meeting Andreas here for the first time as well. How's your first Diet coming along?

_Tristan_
12-15-2007, 21:42
Sorry, I didn't want to intrude... I still feel like a foreigner among you...

I hope this will pass with time...

I surely hope I didn't make a fool of myself in front of the other Electors

But, to be frank, I can't be bothered with those Diet debates... What a truly want is my horse between my legs, riding to meet my foe at the other end of the field... Soon, I hope, whoever that enemy might be...

Ferret
12-15-2007, 21:58
Dieter enters after finishing up in the Diet and sees two new faces with Peter. He nods to Andreas and Peter but sits next to Hugo.

Ah, you must be the Frenchie, can't blame you for rebelling against those ponces, I've heard of their seemingly indestructible professionals armies. But, give me a German any day and we'll beat 'em eh laddy?

Zim
12-15-2007, 22:40
Andreas looks up with a start from his papers, just noticing Peter.

Forgive me, my Prinz. The organizers at the Diet, noticing that I did not come out in favor of either candidate for the Chancelorship, have requested that I compile a list of questions for an interview of them on Monday. They think it will make it easier to pick a side in a most likely close battle. Would you or Herr Friedrich have any questions you want asked?

Friedrich! My friend, come sit with Andreas and I. I have to congratulate you on your great services to Austria the last twenty years. Austria is a huge piece of land and they would not have been able to defend without you or Tancred.

Now, enjoy a beer with us!

gibsonsg91921
12-15-2007, 22:42
Hmm.. I would ask them what their plans are for the reconstruction of each individual House. To be a good Chancellor you must not be sectionalist.

Zim
12-15-2007, 22:58
Andreas starts scribbling the question down.

Good, I like that one. And now that that short tedium is over, how about a toast to King Matthias victory over the Greeks? I'll buy. ~:cheers:

Oh, and Herr Hugo, I believe that further back there is a better selection of drink. You could surely get your wine there. I hear they even have coffee from Outremer, surely they have wine from France.

gibsonsg91921
12-15-2007, 23:00
I'll accept that offer! TO MATTHIAS!

Zim
12-15-2007, 23:03
To Matthias! Scourge of the Greeks! He'll make them regret the atrocity of Antioch.

gibsonsg91921
12-15-2007, 23:05
As we will make them regret Rome, Venice, Bologna, and Florence back home!

Zim
12-15-2007, 23:10
Indeed you will. While the Greeks in Outremer can find solace in numbers and our weak position, if I were one in Italy, I would be trembling for fear of a united Reich.

Privateerkev
12-15-2007, 23:27
OOC: Zim is right, there is wine. Maybe not good wine, but wine. Also, there might not be French wine unless a bottle is squirreled away somewhere.

The Tavern might not be a Pleasure Palace, but it is not a complete dive either.

gibsonsg91921
12-15-2007, 23:36
Barkeep's just picking on you because you're new.

Horst! Knock it off and give my friend Hugo a bottle of French wine.

Please Hugo, won't you join us? I would like to get to know all of my new allies who will be defending the Reich with me. That bottle of wine is on me.

Privateerkev
12-15-2007, 23:48
Dieter walks in nursing a headache. It is clear that the Diet is annoying him. He goes up to the bar and sits by the only person he knows, Andreas. He asks for a beer. The bartender just looks at him and hands him a cup of hot coffee instead.

Zim
12-16-2007, 00:02
Andreas nods to Dieter.
Hello Herr Dieter. I won't ask how you are today as the answer is sketched clearly on your face. Did you happen to hear King Matthias announcement concerning joining Outremer? I seem to recall that you were one of the ones who wanted to serve there.

OOC: I saw the first draft of that post. :clown:

gibsonsg91921
12-16-2007, 00:04
Dieter, my friend! Is the Diet making you sick? I'm afraid you'll have to get used to it, or at least drink the pain away. I've weathered several troublesome sessions of Diet, and I usually end up here, sometimes by force.

Privateerkev
12-16-2007, 00:10
Dieter takes sip of the warm rejuvenating beverage.

I appreciate your concern my Prinz but it is not that. The Diet drove me to drink. I'm not used to it so the drinking gave me a hangover. Now, I just tried to sit through the Diet with a hangover. That didn't go to well. Now I'm here.

Dieter turns to Andreas,

Yeah, I heard about the King's message. I had already given him a letter of introduction. Now I'm just waiting for mein Duke to get back from his diplomatic meetings. Then I will ask him for his official permission and blessing to take up the cross.

My wife is Karl Zirn's daughter and she was raised in Damascus. It is my wish that I can bring Damascus back into the Reich as an Austrian province of Outremer. I wish to rebuild that beautiful huge cathedral that my father-in-law built.

Dieter stops talking and takes another sip of coffee.

Zim
12-16-2007, 00:27
Andreas claps Dieter on the back.

You will be welcome in Outremer, Herr Dieter. Matthias warning is true, however. It will be some time before you will have forces to control, or even before I do, but your counsel and aid will be well received, and I'm sure we will have Demascus taken in no time.

Privateerkev
12-16-2007, 00:37
Dieter falls against the bar as the slap on the back from the Crusader sends his head spinning. He picks himself up with a groan and takes another sip of coffee.

Ugh...

Please don't do that right now.

And yeah, I heard the King's warning that resources are small. That's fine. I don't go for glory or any of that non-sense. While young, I have been in war. I might be naive about politics, but I am not naive about some things. Leave the glory to others.

I just want to serve the Reich, Austria, and the Lord. Austria needs a presence in Outremer again. Damascus needs to be back in the loving embrace of the Reich. And Outremer needs nobles to take up the cause. I will of course accept counties and army commands if they help me do my job. But I will wait my turn.

Zim
12-16-2007, 00:40
Andreas looks pleased upon listening to Dieter.

Youo are wise beyond your years, young Dieter. Matthias words were in part a reaction to years past, in which some electors sought Glory rather than God in Outremer. I will be honored to fight beside you for the good of Outremer.

Privateerkev
12-16-2007, 00:50
Dieter chuckles a little.

Combat has a way of letting you know what is important.

You notice a scar running down Dieter's cheek.

As for wisdom, it helps when you have a wife as worldly and intelligent as she is beautiful. She is very much her father's daughter and she makes a convincing case for the importance of Damascus.

I too would be honored to fight beside you and King Matthias. Of course this is all predicated on what mein Duke needs. If he decides that help is needed back in Austria, then I will of course obey. But with no other Austrian advocating to take up the cross, I am hopeful that I will be given permission to go.

Zim
12-16-2007, 00:59
Ah, I had not noticed that battle scar you had. Noblemen experienced in battle are rare in Outremer these days, and your presence will surely be welcome. I hope that your Duke sees fit to give you permission. I would buy you a beer now, but I'm guessing in your current state you'd prefer to do without one.

If I may ask, what battle did you fight in?

Privateerkev
12-16-2007, 01:15
Thank you but no. I'll stick with this coffee for now.

But as for the battle, I was in the Battle of Zagreb. I started off in Karl Zirn's army. My family lived in the area so I enlisted. Due to my family ties and my "von" name, I got an officer's commission. Promotion came quickly for many of us these last years due to all the death. I even rode with the Zirns as part of their bodyguard group in that battle. It was mainly fought by the Kaiser's forces but both Zirns took to battle eventually. Lord Zirn took notice of me and invited me to his camp for lunch with the other regimental captains. His family happened to be visiting at the time. Siburg and I met, Lord Zirn gave his blessing, and we were married.

Now I'm here. A little older. A little wiser. Hope I can make my father-in-law and Austria proud. Hope I can take up the cross and rule Damascus with even half of the skill my father-in-law did. Just hope I can help the Reich rebuild.

Hope that answered your question. Let me know if you have any more.

OOC: Backstory is being worked on by NN and I.

Battle references is here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=1775801&postcount=197

vpmd
12-16-2007, 01:25
Hans von Bavaria walks into the tavern. Pausing to take a look at his surroundings, he proceeds to walk straight up to the bar.

I wasn't going to bother coming in this place, but I hear you do have wine after all! Don't need anything French, I prefer a good Italian wine anyway. I doubt you'll anything from the South, considering the circumstances, so I'll have whatever you've from the Piedmont. Dolcetto, perhaps...

deguerra
12-16-2007, 01:26
Ludwig walks in

Hello Crusaders, Counts,

enough about Outremer already, I am confident the ammended charter will pass and pray to the Lord Imperial Outremer will stand.

But what think you of the proposal of Luthers?

Zim
12-16-2007, 01:26
Ah yes, I remember reading about that battle. As for my self, I had fought only in tournaments until I reached Outremer. Then I had the honor to serve beside King Matthias in his battle south of Acre. We drove back a whole Byazantine army with minimal losses, and bled one of their highest quality forces as well. I'll remember that day always.

If young Lords as yourself continue to come to Outremer, I am sure the Greeks will have no chance at all of victory.

Hail Ludwig. If you do not mind, a question first. I hear that you were close friends with Jan von der Pfalz, who saved my parents' adopted city of Bruges. Tell me, what was he like?

econ21
12-16-2007, 02:00
Elberhard storms into the Tavern, muttering:

@#$%^&!!!ing politics! It does my head in! I find myself arguing with innocent young Crusaders and agreeing with that @#$%^&!!!ing @#$%^&!!! Luther! By God, Hans and Jan will be turning in their graves.

The Kaiser stares mournfully into a pint, as if expecting to see the faces of his late comrades in the liquid.

Then a messenger arrives and whispers something about the Empress wanting to know where the the Kaiser is and what kind of hour did he call this...

Elberhard closes his eyes and turns his head up to the heavens. He places the pint back on the bar, rising to leave the Tavern with the air of a condemned man.

Privateerkev
12-16-2007, 02:06
Dieter walks back in and sees the Kaiser getting up to leave. Bowing his head, Dieter makes his way past the Emperor as speedy and deferential as he can. He takes his place back at the bar.

gibsonsg91921
12-16-2007, 02:11
Péter seems startled and upset by Elberhard's outburst. He takes out a piece of parchment and begins writing.

Zim
12-16-2007, 02:17
Andreas starts to greet the Kaiser, notices his foul mood and quick disappearance, and turns back to his own papers. It seems the tavern has a heavy mood this eve.

Zim
12-16-2007, 02:22
Prinz Peter, had you ever considered running for the Chancelorship?

Ramses II CP
12-16-2007, 03:03
Fritz von Kastilien enters the bar directly on the heels of peasant who is clearly a regular patron of the place. The man in front of Fritz pauses a step past the doorway, raising his hand to wave at a table full of his friends, and is run into by Fritz. Staggered, the peasant turns with a look of ire which quickly fades to fear. Before he can speak Fritz's left hand stretches across his body to grasp the peasant by the man's left shoulder. Without the slightest sign of effort Fritz shoves the peasant out of his path. He goes crashing into the table full of his bar buddies. Drinks are upset, as are the men.

For a moment, the space of seconds, absolute silence reigns in the bar.

Completely expressionless, still standing in the door, Fritz turns his gaze on the men at the table, meeting their eyes two by two in turn. That done, he turns his back on them with an almost audible click of his heels and strides to his customary table on the dim side of the bar. The girls all know to avoid his table by now. Before he takes a seat he nods in a general sort of way to the crowd, and more deeply to Peter.

Zim
12-16-2007, 03:17
Andreas waves over at Fritz, then stops a passing barmaid (waitresss?). He seems a bit happy, as if the beers are finally getting to him.

Hail Fritz! We were just drinking to King Matthias' victory. Let me buy you a drink. Miss, a drink for the Chancelor candidate!

flyd
12-16-2007, 03:23
Lukas Godwinson enters the tavern. He does not acknowledge anyone, and proceeds straight to the bar. He orders a beer, and slowly drinks it while staring mindlessly into space.

Ramses II CP
12-16-2007, 03:54
Fritz grunts, and returns the wave less cheerfully and speaks loudly from his table.

"I thank you Sir Andreas, but I do not indulge in drink any more than I indulge foolishness from our leaders or our lessers."

For a moment he glances at the table full of locals, now deep into their cups, who wisely avoid his gaze.

"Nonetheless I will salute King Steffen heartily!"

Fritz stands up and delivers a brief speech.

"To a man who went down into the deepest depths of Greek treachery, who endured the darkest acts of their depraved minds, and who rose from that terrible place stronger than ever to slay his tormentors and drive their multitudes before him!"

Raising his voice to a shout, he continued,

"To King Steffen! Would that the Reich had more such men!"

Returning to his seat a look of disgust overtakes his momentary good cheer as he mutters,

"...rather than the rash, illl spoken clown who has made a dog's dinner of our whole land."

Sighing deeply Fritz turns back to his thick stack of documents.

Zim
12-16-2007, 04:00
Since Fritz refused the drink, Andreas tells the barmaid that he'll take it, and raises it to Fritz' toast.

To King Matthias!

Privateerkev
12-16-2007, 04:24
Dieter hears the cheer and joins in,

To King Matthias!

gibsonsg91921
12-16-2007, 05:27
HAIL!

Andreas, to answer your question, I have not considered running for Chancellor. There's too much politics and not enough control over what you can do. The position of Chancellor is merely a formality for who carries out the actions of the parliament. It lacks the power and respect it once garnered.

HAIL MATTHIAS!

Cecil XIX
12-16-2007, 05:59
Edmund Becker enters the bar, looking quite animated for once.

"My good and gentle men! I am pleased to report that my wife has given birth to my third son, Wilhelmus! All drinks are on me for the rest of the night!"

He moves toward Dieter, slapping him on the back.

"So you're the newest member of House Austria! I know marrying into this can be a little overwelming, but keep at it! Work hard so that our Duchy's name continues to flourish and you can ensure that your father's name survives to the next generation!"

Becker than moves to the bar.

"Barkeep! A glass of absinthe!"

Privateerkev
12-16-2007, 06:17
Yet another slap on the back sends the young man lurching forward against the bar. "why does everyone insist on slapping me on the back when I have a hangover?", Dieter thinks to himself. He picks himself off of the bar and turns to the Count,

Count Becker,

I've heard a lot about you. How is Prague? As for being the newest member of the House, it's a new experience. Though to be fair that Hapsburg hasn't been around much longer than me.

Absinthe? whats that?

Ramses II CP
12-16-2007, 06:39
Standing to approach Becker a most unfamiliar expression arises on Fritz's face, genuine happiness.

'Congratulations Count Becker! God's blessing on your new son!'

Fritz slams a purse down on the bar, and gestures to the barkeep,

'This man drinks on me tonight, and any who trouble him in his time of joy will answer to me as well.'

With this Fritz again casts a dark glance at the table where the man he bumped is sitting with his friends.

'Sometime you must tell me about how you rallied your men after that last siege at Prague, Lord Becker, but for now I've another issue to settle.'

Fritz's scarred face twists in anger and he strides quickly to the table of the men he'd upset previously. His hand comes down hard on the same left shoulder of the peasant he previously shoved.

'Did you not hear, you slack jawed louts? Lord Becker's wife has borne him a son! How is it that I could not even discern your huzzah?'

A weak sound begins to build as the five men sitting at the table realize their predicament, but Fritz quickly cuts them off.

'Much as I thought, curs! You imposed your base persons on these noble betters who attend tonight, constantly scuttling about underfoot and causing such petty troubles as your sort can manage, and when a noble of the Reich enters as the bearer of good news you cannot even muster the volume of a mouse in celebration for him!'

'Enough!'

Fritz takes the peasant he's standing over by the collar, lifts him high enough to draw his weight off the chair and kicks it out from under him, dropping the poor man roughly onto the filthy floor.

'I am leaving now. So are you. If any of you feel... ill treated you will find me in the alley around the left side of the Bitter Boar Inn.'

With that the tension leaves Fritz's body, and he visibly relaxes for a moment before carrying on.

'Now go! If you are not all out of this bar in thirty seconds I will kill the hindmost and run down the rest like a hound on the scent of a skulk of foxes!'

Turning away from them Fritz bows briefly to the gentlemen at the bar before returning to his table.

'Good eve noble sirs, and drink merrily Lord Becker. I will see you all on the morrow at the Diet, I'm sure.'

As Fritz sweeps up his papers and shuffles them into a battered leather case you could almost swear he looked happy. Before he exits the bar he discreetly pats a few spots around his person, as though checking to make sure some small item was still in it's place. Then, head high, he vanishes into the dark.

Cecil XIX
12-16-2007, 10:16
Edmund tsks as Fritz and the five men leave. He then turns to Dieter.

"Prague is fine. I'm still working on ways to get it to join the huge cities as soon as possible. And Absinthe? Why, it's a spirit my boy! Quite a potent one too, in fact it's rumored if you drink enough of it you see green fairies. Here, let me show you how it's prepared."

The bartender produces a glass of absinthe and a glass of water. The absinthe is visably green, and the glass has a slotted spoon placed on top of it.

"Now, absinthe is very strong. It can be up to nine-tenths alcohol. It's often presented like this so the customer can prepare it to his preference. First, you take a cube of sugar."

The bartender hand him one, and Edmund places it upon the spoon.

"And then, you just poor the water over the sugar cube and into the glass. I'm told the amount of water poured should be three to five times the amount of absinthe."

Edmund does so, and as the water mixes with the absinthe the resulting mixture takes on a distinctly milky appearence.

"And there you have it. Here, you're welcome to try some."

gibsonsg91921
12-16-2007, 16:00
Quite a potent one too, in fact it's rumored if you drink enough of it you see green fairies.

OOC: That, and you might make out with your sister while in Bratislava while your friend is in Europe looking for his pen pal

AussieGiant
12-16-2007, 17:16
The thunder of hooves out side indicates the arrival of a substantial number of horsemen. As the din dies down there is clearly at least one agitated person outside shouting something unintelligible.

I tell you what Bane, if that $%£"!ing Venetian diplomat comes near me ever again I want Grom to throw him off the battlements of this $"%%ing city immediately!!

The crunch of military boots reaches just outside the doors of the tavern. There's a moment of silence followed by Duke Arnold's clear voice.

Was that Elby I saw walking down the street looking like a ferret was shoved up his arse!!??

There's a murmur in response that you can't quite hear.

Well at least they opened a $%£"$ing tavern close to the Diet Chambers like in Rome...now that I've gone and thrown my hat in the ring for Chancellor I'll need plenty of drinks to deal with all the bull$£"!!

With those final words the door is nearly smashed off it's hinges as a large steel clad boot kicks the door open.

The Duke, as is the norm, is clad from head to foot in Obsidian Plate, his blood red Griffin symbol stained across his breast plate. As he and his retinue fan into the tavern entrance the Duke head scans the assembled nobles and diplomats in room.

$£"% me if there's not a lot of new faces in here.

Grom tell those bastards by the fire to piss off and order a round of drinks!! Those £$%$ing bankers in Durazzo have given me a head ache and I need to dull the pain!!

Ferret
12-16-2007, 17:49
Dieter clamly opens the tavern door to have a drink for the first time in months. He sees Arnold and, after giving him a cold stare, turns around and leaves.

OverKnight
12-16-2007, 18:04
Matthias enters the tavern. Quietly making his way to the bar he orders a coffee. He surveys the room, so many new faces, he recognises one man however.

Duke Arnold, I must congratulate you on your victory at Ragusa. A citadel with Ballista or Cannon towers is a beautiful thing, no?

The Venetians should have stayed in hiding, else they'll meet the same fate as the Milanese.

AussieGiant
12-16-2007, 18:30
Standing to go and greet Matthias, they shake hands in the traditional warriors grip of forearm to forearm.

Well met Matthias!!

Christ it turned out to be a slaughter, those bloody *ankers...I mean bankers got themselves turned into human kebabs against those Ballista towers I had installed a few years back. It was rather anti climatic actually.

YOU, on the other hand did a masterful job out there, you one eyed $£%ing Byzantine killer!!

You're a piece of work Viceroy...a reaaal piece of work my friend. I don't know how your going to manage out there but you are certainly the only man for the job in my view.

And where is that moody bastard of an older brother of yours? I haven't seen him in ages. I hardly recognise anyone here.

OverKnight
12-16-2007, 18:48
Matthias smiles at Arnold's greeting.

Recent events have taught me that a one sided slaughter of a foe is much better than a "sporting" battle. With the odds against us, we must use every advantage, as you did.

God smiled upon me and my men at Al Qubayyat. I had the advantage of terrain, but if that second army hadn't been delayed. . .things could have gone differently.

As for Lothar. . .

Matthias's expression darkens.

I have not seen him since I returned. If I bet on the wrong side in a civil war, twice no less, I'd make myself scarce too.

All those men sent to their death at Bern could have made quite the difference in Italy.

Matthias smiles grimly.

But that is the past, and we have been asked not to discuss it, in the Diet at least.

I wish you luck in the election, and that new fangled debate Andreas is cooking up.

AussieGiant
12-16-2007, 18:55
Arnold:

You're dead right about Lothar...I hadn't thought about it like that until you mentioned it.

Arnold has a small chuckle to himself thinking of his childhood friend and the choices he had made over the last few years. Suddenly the Duke face changes to one of concern.

I'd heard some crazy rumour from my Priest that there is some type of questionnaire being written up...is that actually true!!??

OverKnight
12-16-2007, 18:58
Yes it is.

Matthias hoists his coffee with a wry smile.

To the return of central authority, with some of its blessings less welcome than others.

AussieGiant
12-16-2007, 19:00
Blessings indeed Matthias.

Arnold raises his drink in salute.

Stuperman
12-16-2007, 19:46
Fredericus Erlach enters the bar, upon seeing his brother-in-law and Duke Arnold, he signals the bar for a round for the whole table, and makes his way over.

Good to see you fellas,

And Arnold, my wife talks of you like an uncle, you can be assured of my support on your run for Chancellor.

OverKnight
12-16-2007, 19:57
Matthias greets his brother-in-law warmly.

Fredericus, good to see you, my sister is well?

Your exploits on Corsica reached even to Outremer. You gave the Sicilians quite a pasting.

Ajaccio will be ours again, though the mainland needs to be stabilized first, at least in my view. A tough decision, but that's the only type we've had lately.

AussieGiant
12-16-2007, 19:58
Clapping his hand on Erlach's shoulder Arnold smiles.

Kordula was the only one amongst us that could keep Gerhard occupied while we got into trouble in some way or another.

I have fond memories of those times when I was with the family as a squire to Gerhard. Your father-in-law was a great man and did a enormous favour to my father while he was away in Outremer all those years ago.

It's good to have your support Fredericus, and as Matthias says, you really handed those Sicilian's a right old thrashing in Corsica well done.

gibsonsg91921
12-16-2007, 20:08
Arnold my friend, you and Fritz have certainly put me in a tough position for the voting. Both of you seem very strong candidates and whoever wins, the Reich would be well off.

This... debate may well sway my opinion. Good luck!

AussieGiant
12-16-2007, 20:23
Looking rather concerned at the Prinz, Arnold frowns and shakes his head ever so slightly.

What the £$%£ is this debate about Prinz Peter? I've never heard of anything like this in my entire life.

Fritz is your brother so I completely understand your point of view, and actually I'm privately quite surprised at the general level of positive response I've received since announcing my candidacy.

Stuperman
12-16-2007, 21:34
why you both honour me with your words, and Yes Kordula is well, but Arnold against the Venetians you have been nothing less than Miraculous and Mathias you have killed more Greeks than can be counted.

I would love to return to Corsica, but lets rid our northern Italian provinces of this greek infestation, and then reclaim Corsica. I also have concerns about France, they have greatly increased their power, only time will tell.

Zim
12-16-2007, 22:34
Andreas nods to King Matthias, then orders a coffee. He seems weary this morning, and is still shifting through his papers, muttering to himself.

Hmmm....19 questions is bit much, I should trim a few. Haha, what is your greatest weakness? I can see the answers now, "My weakness is caring too much for the Reich".

OverKnight
12-16-2007, 22:41
Matthias snorts.

Greatest weakness? I'm glad I got the position in my younger days, I doubt I would have the patience to answer such a question now.

Good luck, Andreas, considering the reputation of the two candidates, it might count as service in a Forlorn Hope regiment.

Matthias smiles wolfishly, the eyepatch adding to the feral affect.

Zim
12-16-2007, 22:52
Andreas laughs at King Matthias' comment.

I'd strike that question, but the source of it was rather high up in the Imperial ranks. Anyway, the candidates can use the questions for toilet paper for all I care. If they suffer a loss of votes for not answering, it's none of my business.

Privateerkev
12-17-2007, 04:39
Dieter looks at Count Becker and says,

Thank you sir, but I'm having enough trouble with beer. I will toast your new son. May he grow up strong and smart like his father!

Dieter returns to his coffee. He convinces the bartender to spike it with liquor.

Zim
12-17-2007, 07:04
Andreas walks into the tavern, for once sans paperwork and looking quite relieved to be done with gathering questions. He take sthe first available seat at the bar and orders a round of whatever they want for everyone at the front of the tavern.

OOC: Given how big the place is, buying drinks for everyone in every section would probably bankrupt the poor guy. :clown:

Privateerkev
12-17-2007, 07:12
Dieter hears Andreas talk to the bartender. He asks the bartender to put another shot in his coffee, on Andreas's tab. He raises his cup to the Crusader.

Thank you kind sir!

he says with a smile

Zim
12-17-2007, 07:14
You're welcome, Herr Dieter. I am in especially good spirits today, since I'm done with that insufferable paperwork. Better yet, in two days we will have a new Chancellor, and a worthy one which ever candidate wins. Then I am off to return to Outremer, where my work is done with sword and lance rather than with pen and paper.

Privateerkev
12-17-2007, 07:28
Here here!

By the way, what crawled up Count Bohmen's arse tonight?

Count Karl Zirn endorsed Duke Arnold in the Diet. Count Becker endorsed Duke Arnold in the Diet. Count Bresch endorsed Sir Fritz in the Diet.

Then I do the same thing and all of a sudden I have violated some unwritten Diet protocol?

I can only conclude that Count Bohmen assumes he can pick on those younger than himself.

Warluster
12-17-2007, 07:30
The door slowly opens, then shuts very quickly, and Duke von Salza steps from the shadows. He walks to the bar,

Bavarian wine, sir? asks the man
If it wasn't Bavarian I'd happily drink a tub of it, give me some stuff from Swabia. The bartender nods and nosily fills a mug, the Duke sits down at the bar and looks around at the tavern, observing its occupants.

Zim
12-17-2007, 07:39
Andreas laughs.

Perhaps he did not mind it when those men spoke because they have titles and are greater in years than you, or perhaps he became increasingly angry at them at took it out on the first person proclaiming a preference who was junior to him. Maybe he's resentful because you have fought for the Reich, where he has only fled from two battles, and had his County saved by another. Whatever the cause, it need not bother us here.

He nods towards von Salza.

Greetings, mein Duke. I am glad to finally get the chance to meet you in person. I think now that my first beer is finished, I will try a glass of that Swabian wine.

Andreas gestures to the Barkeep.

Warluster
12-17-2007, 07:56
Duke von Salza looks up as he hears someone talking to him, and recognizes Andreas.

I thought you were in Outremer! Its good your over there...

The Duke takes a sip from his wine and softly swears
At least you got there before those Bavarians could, eh? They wouldn'tve let it die down if they got there before Swabia...

The Duke stares into the space, then lets out a booming laugh
Except the King of course, he was a Bavarian, but now I think he is more Outremer. A' long a' you keep beating those bavs, you've kept me happy. Those bloody...
As the Duke opens his mouth to say something more about the bavarians, he notices the Austrian Dieter, and closes his mouth quickly. He darkly watches the Austrian, taking a sup of his wine.
Good to see you here, at least your not bagging Lutherans in the Diet anymore, or your Saint. I assume all is well in Austria?

Privateerkev
12-17-2007, 08:02
Dieter looks at the Duke,

My Saint? It was the Church that made Jan von Hamburg a Saint. I had nothing to do with it. As for "bagging Lutherans", my issue with Sir Fritz is not that he is Lutheran. It is that he revises history.

As for Austria, we're covered in enemies. Poles and Venetians and Hungarians. I helped the Kaiser and Karl Zirn beat an army of Hungarians at Zagreb. But there are more out there.

How goes Swabia? I'm glad the whole Ducal succession thing was sorted out.

Dieter lifts a cup of spiked coffee to the Duke.

Zim
12-17-2007, 08:05
Mein Duke,
I was lucky enough to get a reprieve to come here for the Diet. It appears that after King Matthias' last victory, the Greeks are hesitant to even come near our borders in Outremer, so Acre is safe at least for the duration of the Diet.

Andreas takes the glass of wine offered by the barkeep.

So far as I know, none of the Bavarian nobles desire to got to Outremer at the moment, although young Dieter here would like to, wouldn't you, Dieter?

Privateerkev
12-17-2007, 08:09
Takes a sip of "coffee"

I'm Austrian but yes I would like to take up the Cross. Duke Arnold has given his blessing. King Matthias has accepted my transfer. Now there is just the tiny matter of getting over there.

It might be some time before I can safely travel to Outremer. But I will try to make it as soon as I am able.

Warluster
12-17-2007, 08:15
The Duke's tone lightens with another sip of wine, which was emptying fast

Swabia right now is a bloody hellhole. Frenchmen swarming around Metz, Staufen, the whole place.

I hope your ambitions to head for Outremer turn true, can't have the turk ruling the world can we? Well we can't those greeks either...
Athalwolf claps his hands, ordering more wine and turns to Dieter again.

Why do you want to go to outremer? Riches, reward, titles? Is it for religion, boy? Or are you a bloody fanatic?

The Duke, before awaiting a answer, turns to a letter and starts feverishly writing, before sealing it and passing it onto the bartender and quickly leaves out back. The DUke then turns back to the conversation.

Privateerkev
12-17-2007, 08:19
Dieter answers the Duke

My father-in-law is Karl Zirn. He ruled Damascus benevolently for years. My wife wishes to return to Outremer. I want to follow in Lord Zirn's footsteps and honor the man. Plus I want to serve Austria and the Reich. Austria needs a representative in Outremer. Outremer needs help. I am also a religious man as you guessed. Not a "fanatic". At least I don't think so.

Now, I have enjoyed the good company but I must retire. Siburg is expecting me home at a decent hour this time.

Good night to you both.

Dieter nods to Duke von Salza and Andreas.

OOC: It's bedtime in "real life". :yes:

Warluster
12-17-2007, 08:38
The Duke raises his glass to Dieter, drains it and turns to Andreas.

Well, I take my leave. I am sure matters in the Diet shall explode the next morning. I have to write that report to the Kaiser as well...

Clea the slate of those Turks and Greeks in Outremer, Andreas, and don't forget...

The DUke dons his coat and has one foot out the door
Your Swabian!
He leaves quickly grumbling about writing reports about some useless things

Warmaster Horus
12-17-2007, 13:05
Friedrich, who had been in a dark corner for the whole duration of von Salza's stay, glares at the door. His gaze attempts to replicate that of Duke Arnold's when the Dread Duke glares, and actually succeeds somewhat. He mutters:
"Who does he think he is? Criticising Bavaria! Hmph! We already have a man there, do we need to send more? That man is the one who has given the most to Outremer in recent years, while those Swabians were unable to keep even a Duchy unified! Grrr... Ah, well..."
He turns back to his mug, pulls out a book and begins to read it.

deguerra
12-17-2007, 14:45
Do forgive my Duke, Friedrich. He is in a hard position to rule Swabia at this time, and may not always find the right words. But he is a good and decent man inside, and wants to restore the Reich and the Houses to their rightful place.

That is more than can be said for some other members of this Diet.

Warmaster Horus
12-17-2007, 18:43
Are you insinuating anything? I realize that, but if he wants to restore the Reich, and by extension its unity, he should avoid criticizing any of the Reich's Duchies.

Zim
12-17-2007, 18:46
Herr Friederich, I think Count Ludwig refers to a certain young Elector, who has needlessly insulted the Count's Duchy, and seems to lack any such noble intents as Duke von Salza has. I doubt it was a slight aimed at you.

TinCow
12-17-2007, 18:49
*Lothar Steffen enters the Tavern and looks around. He nods his head toward the bartender, whom he is clearly familiar with. He then moves over to a corner of the room, where his retinue take over several tables from a group of minor nobles who scatter in every direction.

It is good to be back in Nuremburg after so long. I wish to point out to all men in this Tavern, that Nuremburg remains Bavarian at heart. It has been loaned to the Kaiser for a temporary period, but the citizens of the province are Bavarian and the province itself will return to Bavarian control in the near future. As such, I consider it to be my duty to extend my benevolent protection to all honorable Bavarians who live here. Any man, be he Elector, Count, Duke, Prince, or Kaiser, who harms one of my people in this Tavern will be personally accountable to me. If you have a quarrel with a local resident, you had best consult with me prior to taking any hostile actions. Doing otherwise will make me angry, and I assure you that none of you want that...

*Lothar Steffen leans back in his chair and signals to a nearby barmaid to bring an ale.*

Cecil XIX
12-17-2007, 18:56
Edmund Becker looks up from his drink.

"Apologies Duke Lothar. But I believe you have the wrong building. A common mistake, as the Diet is right next door. It will be on your left when facing out of the Tavern."

OOC: Aw man, I was looking forward to Lothar's response. You sure you don't want to keep that there, Tincow? A little levity never hurt anyone. :beam:

Privateerkev
12-17-2007, 19:00
Dieter is just sitting at the bar sipping his spiked coffee when Duke Lothar bursts into the Tavern and gives a long-winded political speech. Puzzled, Dieter remains silent. Best to remain unnoticed. He does notice that no patron at the bar dares to interrupt Duke Lothar. Shaking his head, Dieter wonders what else will happen this Diet.

Ferret
12-17-2007, 19:04
Dieter sits still and says nothing to anyone :clown:

Privateerkev
12-17-2007, 19:16
Dieter is now quite confused about what he thinks he saw Lothar say. Maybe he imagined all of it. Dieter looks into his cup. He signals the bartender and says,

"Sir, could you switch me to just coffee?

Thanks"

Cecil XIX
12-17-2007, 19:24
Edmund reenters the bar just in time to notice von Essen's order.

"Did something odd just happen to you too?"

AussieGiant
12-17-2007, 19:33
Get off the absinthe you bloody idiots!!

It will make you see and hear things no man should rightly experience in his whole life!!

Privateerkev
12-17-2007, 19:51
I think the bartender had heard Becker's earlier offer and then confused it with my order. I think I got some absinthe by mistake. I could have sworn that I saw Duke Lothar come in here, and give a massively long winded speech.

I have switched my drink and hope that solves the problem.

OOC: :laugh4:

Zim
12-17-2007, 20:00
Andreas walks into the tavern, nodding to Duke Arnold and the others as he makes his way to the bar.

Greetings, Duke Arnold. You as well, Dieter and Edmund. You wouldn't believe what someone leaving the bar said you two claimed to have just seen.

Privateerkev
12-17-2007, 20:06
I think Dieter Bresch saw it too. It was amazing. Duke Lothar walked in and gave a gigantic political speech right in the doorway of the Tavern.

Others may claim it didn't happen but I know what I saw and I know what I heard.

I will keep better track of what the bartender puts in my drink from now on I assure you.

Dieter looks at his coffee cup suspiciously...

Zim
12-17-2007, 20:11
Ah yes, sometimes I wonder about a few of the bartenders here...

To be fair, Dieter Bresch's reaction could have been to Edmund's odd addressing of the Duke over something that didn't happen. It's vague enough.

Cecil XIX
12-17-2007, 20:40
Perhaps I have been celebrating a bit too had. I'm wondering how I got to walking in with the Bavarians...

Ferret
12-17-2007, 20:45
who me? I didn't see anything whatsoever, nothing at all.

TinCow
12-17-2007, 21:05
*Lothar turns to one of his retinue knights.*

Those men over there seem to be deranged. Perhaps they are rabid or maybe the French Pox has rotted their brains. Be wary. If their insanity causes them to commit violence, we must put them down quickly before they can harm others.

Ferret
12-17-2007, 21:11
Dieter leaps up and charges at Lothar, knife in hand. Just before the killing blow connects... Dieter clears his throat

I agree mein Duke, it is amazing what drink can do to a man, I'm glad I don't share their greed for it.

Privateerkev
12-17-2007, 21:14
I seem to be fine now that I'm just drinking coffee.

It's too bad Duke Lothar didn't really say what I thought he said. I found it to be truly inspirational. Absolute poetry. On par with the best orators man has ever known. Better than music.

But... since he didn't really say it...

Ramses II CP
12-17-2007, 22:12
Fritz returns to the bar, slamming aside the doors in haste as usual. As he enters he notes the men by the bar and gives them a quick nod, then moves purposefully to the table of Duke Steffen.

Word has just reached me, Duke Lothar, of your statements regarding violence towards the locals who frequent this bar. I cannot help but feel they are directed at the scuffle I was involved in the other evening. With that in mind I would have you know that no permanant damage was done to those drunkards despite their disrespectful attitude towards their betters.

Raising his hand Fritz briefly forestalls Lothar's attempt to answer.

This being said, I am a soldier and I have a soldier's sensibilities. My frustration at having to deal with my enemies in the Diet with only the sword and fist of my voice and wit may well have boiled over into taking umbrage too easily when I meant only to attend here peacefully. I tend to talk with my hands when words seem insufficient or overused. I recognize, however, that I am a guest in your lands and I come now to offer my apology if I have offended your noble self.

Bowing deeply, Fritz's face remains unreadable. (OOC: Totally closed and stone faced! The man's impossible to project emotionally)

gibsonsg91921
12-17-2007, 23:24
Péter walks into the Tavern.

Ah, Fritz, the nerve of Duke Lothar! Who is he to say I don't support you enough?

Péter notices Lothar sitting right next to Fritz.

Oh. Good afternoon, friend. I'm sorry to hear your little plans for Swabia failed. If you need any money, I'm sure you can assassinate the head of the Merchant's Guild for it.

Péter turns to talk to Fritz.

I have decided to give you our brother's old County of Thorn when it is reclaimed. What happened in Stettin is in the past now. Thorn is a mighty abode and a great bulwark to defend against the Poles. Tancred can be governor of Stettin.

Péter sits down at the table with Fritz and Lothar.

Barkeep! A pint for Fritz and I and your finest, purest absinthe for Lothar. It's all on me.

TinCow
12-18-2007, 00:57
*Lothar laughs heartily.*

Oh my, Peter, such brave statements. Did those words come from your own brain, or is your head so far up Elberhard's ass that his thoughts are coming out of your mouth?

Perhaps I should publicize a private letter you wrote to me just after being released from prison. I doubt your benevolent patron will enjoy reading it, but perhaps the rest of the Electors will find it educational.

gibsonsg91921
12-18-2007, 01:31
OOC: I thought an argument with you would be funny.

Ha! You would be a fool to publish that letter. I know not how it incriminates me, or Elberhard. The rest of the Electors would know your scheme and the jig would be up. Your publishing it would prove its truth. It's no secret that I politically despised Hans and Elberhard, but you have secrets, dark and numbered, that would be interesting if they came to light.

Feel free to publish that letter. In fact, I dare you to. As if you haven't made enough of a fool of yourself as it is.

I haven't forgotten my brother's murder, you pig.

TinCow
12-18-2007, 01:51
Secrets, yes, I have many secrets Peter, but none that someone as thick-headed as you would be capable of figuring out. What secret is it that you think I will expose myself of? I assume you are refering to your statements in that letter about this mysterious 'Order' that you thought I was a part of. Need I remind you that my reply to you was that I was not aware that any such Order existed? Please explain, my old friend, how that disclosure could possibly injure me.

If you truly want to determine who is harmed greater by the statements you made in that letter, perhaps I should show it to everyone in this Tavern. Would you like me to do that, Peter? If there is nothing that incriminates you, then surely you would have no problem with it, would you?

gibsonsg91921
12-18-2007, 01:57
Whatever you say, Headmaster. I have letters that incriminate you more than you'd like to believe. I can read the letter myself, if you'd give me time to fetch it. I keep it nearby, as I am always on the lookout for evidence that would prove you and your Order killed my brother.

Péter leaves the Tavern, comes back about a half hour later after conversing with Lars and Ulrich.

All members of the Tavern, here is this mystery letter that incriminates me so.

"Duke Lothar Steffen, hail!

I have recently been released from prison. While in Rome, I heard whispers of a secret Order that maintains the Reich, and that you were one of the members. I desire to join, if you trust me. I will do anything to get back at Hans and Elberhard.

Peter von Kastilien"

What incriminates me? I would like to get back at Hans and Elberhard? Would you like to press that matter? As I can produce more letters if you like that were prior to our correspondence.

TinCow
12-18-2007, 02:40
So, Peter, you admit that you desired revenge on the Kaiser and on Hans, yet now you proclaim to be an ally of the former Duke of Swabia and you kiss Elberhard's shiny arse daily. I have more letters along the same lines that you sent to my dear friend Dietrich von Dassel. In those letters you proclaim similar things, going so far as to support Dassel in his efforts to overthrow Hans. Would you like to disclose those same letters as you have done with your little scribble to me?

It seems you only lost your will for such bold moves when Kaiser Elberhard bribed you with the title of Prinz. You once held such high standards that you marched on Constantinople itself in order to prevent Unification. After you were imprisoned by Hans and Elberhard, you swore vengence against them. Like me, you then supported the rebel Dietrich in his plans to overthrown the Kaiser's own brother. All that bluster and bravado went out of you like a candle being snuffed as soon as another title was dangled in front of your face. I am glad that Ansehelm is not alive to see what you have become. He would be embarassed that anyone so two-faced could hold the noble von Kastilien name, let alone the Duchy of Franconia.

gibsonsg91921
12-18-2007, 02:49
Because of course, there's nothing more dishonorable than not liking those who killed your little brother.

I was bold, and I stopped Unification. I wished Hans and Elberhard out of power, and now Hans is dead and Elberhard has little authority.

Swore vengeance against them? Ha. I still hated them, but I wasn't a fool enough to attack them or to support rebellion. I am a man enough to stomach those I politically despise to prevent civil war. Your foolish war killed tens of thousands.

Perhaps you'd like to know the whole part of the deal. Elberhard told me if I attempted to infiltrate your little "Order," I would be set free. I was ordered to maintain the posture of hostility towards them in an attempt to get evidence for you to reveal yourself. My brother is dead, Lothar. It's taking a lot of self-control to not kill you for it right now.

Ramses II CP
12-18-2007, 03:08
Fritz shakes his head at the offer of a drink, and at the dispute between Peter and Lothar.

'My brother, my Prinz, I still abstain from liqour, and I am distressed to hear these barbs traded between two steadfast Dukes of the realm. It is unimaginable that Duke Lothar had anything to do with the death of our little brother.'

Pausing briefly to think, Fritz continues in a curious tone,

'...and yet, this matter of a secret 'Order' does cause me some distress. Is this some branch of the Assassin's Guild? I have heard rumors that the Saracen pigs have extended their black influence even into Catholic lands, but I cannot imagine them funding that attack on our Emperor and risking further Crusades in answer.'

'No, no, the only logical answer I can see is Byzantine treachery, and they proved it with their hideous subsequent actions. Lothar supported Lutherans in their just resistance to the Emperor's vicious brother, but that ended with the death of Hans, Dietrich, and Hummel. There is nothing left there to argue about but corpses.'

'It strikes me as likely that Elberhard has manipulated this confrontation between two of his most powerful opponents to insure his own power. Don't let the Emperor have this to crow about with his cronies.'

TinCow
12-18-2007, 03:38
My war, Peter? You speak as if I started that whole mess in Swabia. Do you forget that it was Wolfgang Hummel who rebelled first, and then Hans himself who exiled Dietrich, thus forcing another of his vassals to rebellion? I did nothing more than provide aid to an honorable man who had been a long-time friend to Bavaria. In contrast, you compromised your values and your beliefs to save face and gain power. At least I have the fortitude to stand up for what I believe in and state so honestly and directly. You accuse me of being part of some secret, duplicitious organization, yet I have spoken nothing but plain truth from the first day that I declared my support for Dietrich. I have never denied my involvement in Swabia, nor my motives, yet you have never even had the courage to admit your own stance until I forced it out of you.

Warluster
12-18-2007, 04:07
Duke von Salza enters in time to hear the letter being read out by Prinz Peter, and then silently listens before speaking up

Lothar, if you do not deny being involved with the Dietrich part, does this not brand you a traitor? Dietrich attacked the rightful Duke of Swabia, and sought to bring down the man who the Kaiser himself acknowledged to be Duke?

If you are not a rebel, then why did you support Dietrich when he was clearly a Rebel? Why not provide the BHA to us Loyalists, thus helping us destroy Wolfgang Hummel and in the end achieving what you set out for with Dietrich; a unified Swabia?

Duke von Salza calmly waits for the Bavarian Duke's reply, ordering a Swabian wine.

TinCow
12-18-2007, 04:19
I will answer you question, Athalwolf, after you explain your own purpose for betraying Hans and aiding Dietrich.

*Lothar reaches into a box and pulls out an old, dog-earred letter. He clears his throat and begins to read.*

Dear Sir Dietrich,

Recently I have been in Swabia, in the centre of this rebellion. The traitor Wolfgang Hummel has moved against Rheims, and I have garrisoned the City to stop his invasion into Loyalist Swabia.

I believe Hans is not going to move to help me, he wishes to take Metz. My pleads would be ignored. Seeing as you have achieved many things, one among them destroying the Pope.

I have heard you are taking Swabia under your leadership, and with Bavaria's support, this makes the claim Official. If you come to the aid of Rheims and its garrison, and help us destroy the traitor Wolfgang, I shall happily join your forces.

I would pledge my loyalty to you as Duke of Swabia, Hans has passed his time. If Kaiser Elberhard rules out against your proclamation, I may have to retire to Spain.

Will you come to the aid of Rheims, thus I shall pledge my loyalty to you as Duke of Swabia.

Athalwolf von Salza,
Commander of the Swabian Defense Force

Is there anyone else who wishes to criticize my actions and pretend they are high and mighty? My box of letters is very deep, and you never know what I will find in it...

gibsonsg91921
12-18-2007, 04:51
Never had the courage to admit my stance? Ha! Elberhard knew the whole time that I disagreed with his and Hans's policies. That didn't stop him from making me his heir. Do you know why? (OOC: Because the game said so!) Because I stand up for a united Reich! Crawl back into your hole, Lothar. I long for the end of this Diet session so you may return to Bavaria and die nobly in battle with the Greeks.

TinCow
12-18-2007, 05:08
*The Duke of Bavaria breaks into a hearty laught.*

You stand for a united Reich?! Was that your purpose when you rebelled against your own brother, Kaiser Siegfried, and marched to attack Constantinople? Was that your purpose when you spoke about the crimes that Siegfried and Elberhard had committed, and which Hans was complicit to by enforcing them? Was that your purpose when you swore vengeance against Elberhard and Hans while still in prison in Rome? Tell me Péter, was it the bribe of Prince that corrupted you or was your weak spirit simply broken by the experience of being imprisoned for a short while?

Bah, I feel like I am dealing with amateurs here this evening. Is there no one who can properly criticize me without revealing himself to be a hypocrite?

Zim
12-18-2007, 05:21
Andreas stands and clears his throat. He looks a bit nervous, as if unsure of what he's about say.

Well, Duke Steffen, while I am unsure of my ability to criticize you effectively, I believe I can do so without being a hypocrite, as my short period of service to the Reich has been nothing but honorable. You may feel that the criticism of mein Duke von Salza loses it's value because in a moment of weakness he thought Dietrich von Dassel might be the right man to unite his Duchy, but his sin does not wipe yours clean.

While Prinz Peter eventually came around and supported the rightful heir to the Swabian Duchy, you aided von Dassel, prolonging the war. Then, when von Dassel died you shifted to another rebel, Hummel against Hans' appointed heir. Were it not for these actions, the Loyalists would have won the Civil War far sooner, perhaps without unneeded bloodshed. Yes, I am aware that Hummel's man Jan von der Pfalz did save my hometown of Bruges, but it was the senseless Civil War that placed it in such danger to begin with, and resulted in the deaths of so many good Germans at Bern and elsewhere, nearly draining the Duchy of soldiers, and placing it in peril.

flyd
12-18-2007, 05:26
Having ignored the argument so far, Lukas Godwinson looks up.

I was not going to say anything, Duke Steffen, but if you insist on being criticized, I will point out that you are distrubing this place, where people come to relax and get away from the tiresome bickering. There is a Diet building right over there, you know.

Warluster
12-18-2007, 05:45
With the reading of the letter Duke von Salza laughs

So Lothar, you couldn't think of anything regarding your betrayal, but had to attack. Unfortunely, you pull forth a letter which dates back before 1320, I was still in decision who to follow then.

Next time, update your sources. I am sure I could find something about you from 40 years ago.

Athalwolf sips his wine, and draws forth a long sheet of apper which trails to the floor, where he mutters and starts writing.

Privateerkev
12-18-2007, 06:39
Dieter just sits and watches the "Duke fight" with great interest. He is amazed as grown men keep reaching into their tunics... in order to grab letters to read at each other. Shaking his head, Dieter looks at his cup and wonders if Horst spiked it with absinthe again.

OOC: Basically, picture a coffin in Edessa shaking as Jan von Hamburg attempts to return to this mortal coil in order to participate in this debate. :laugh4:

AussieGiant
12-18-2007, 10:10
Arnold and his retinue file into the tavern...observing the heated debate for sometime the Duke nods in either direction. On command Grom heads in one direction and Bane in another. As the rest of his retinue fans out following the two men, Arnold places a hand on his fathers sword and moves closer to the three Dukes.

Well, well, well, what have we here then??

Raising one eyebrow Arnold takes a long moment to make eye contact with each of the men.

Do we need to settle this on the field gentlemen?

I'm up for some sword practise, lets say this afternoon at four...first blood wins the day, or shall we make it a little more interesting?

Or, someone could threaten me with something and then I'd feel included a little more. Seeing three of four Duke's hammering out some history lessons has me feeling a little left out!!

Glancing at Lothar.

Perhaps I should have a go at you Lothar. I'm sure I could dish out some shiet without being a hypocrite!

TinCow
12-18-2007, 13:22
Is that the best you can come up with, Athalwolf? A claim that it occurred a long time ago and that it is thus not reflective of your character? That letter was written in the mid 1320s, well after the previous Diet session would have occurred, had we had one. Are you honestly saying that no one should expect you to keep the same opinion for the period of one entire Chancellorship term? If so, to whom are you going to switch your loyalties by the next Diet session?

Ah, this is growing tiresom and Elector Godwinson is indeed correct. *Lothar nods his head respectfully to Lukas Godwinson.* I am indeed disturbing the peace, though I did not begin this fracas. Elector von Salzgitter is also correct that I have not answered Athalwolf's question. Since I am an honest man, I will not shrink from such a query. I will give you your answer, because I am not ashamed of it, nor do I have any desire to hide it. Perhaps two more letters will clarify my position.

*Lothar rummages through his box for a while, muttering about misplacing something. Eventually he pulls out two more sheets of parchment.*

Ah, here we are. A correspondence between Ehrhart Ruppel and myself a few years ago. I believe this explains my position adequately.

*Lothar clears his throat and begins to read.*

Duke Lothar of Bavaria,

You may not have heard of me, and although I am not a Count, I shall introduce myself as Ehrhart Ruppel, vassal of Duke Atahwolf von Salza of Swabia.

If I am assuming correctly, Friecih Karolinger is one of your vassal Counts? It may not be my place to openly condemn him, but I would like to inform you, that he is feeding the fires of rebellion in Swabia by sending Bavarian coin to the traitor and ursurper Wolfgang Hummel.

I will hope that you will honor the emperor's edict and stop your vassal from continuing this madness of spending florins on a lost cause and focus spending them to keep the Bavarian border safe instead.

Yours,

Ehrhart Ruppel

Ehrhart Ruppel,

I will do no such thing, as Count Karolinger acted directly in response to a request I made of him. Wolfgang Hummel contacted me directly to request aid, I discussed the matter with Count Karolinger, and the result is now public knowledge.

I will not apologize for my actions, past or present. I firmly believe that Hans was a traitor to the Reich and I am glad that he is dead. I supported Dietrich von Dassel's claim to the Duchy for two reason: First, I wanted a rational man in command of Swabia. A man who would put the interests of the Reich first, no matter the costs to himself. Dietrich proved he was such a man by moving against the puppet Pope who was supporting Siegfried's insanity. Hans was a sycophant who would lead the Reich to its doom, so long as the Emperor pointed the way. Second, I wanted a united Swabia. Wolfgang Hummel originally sought to split from Swabia and create a new Duchy. I do not, and will never, support such a thing. It will damage the Reich greatly to have such a division.

With Dietrich's death, I was, simply put, out of options. I have suspicions that Athalwolf von Salza was not quite the loyal and dedicated follower of Hans that he always claimed to be, but that is now irrelevant. He is Duke and knows his power is based in the loyalist camp. He will not be friendly to me as Duke of Swabia due to my support of Dietrich. I will not insult your intelligence by explaining why I do not think you will be friend to Bavaria in the near future as well. So, Wolfgang Hummel is now my only option for ensuring that Swabia is a loyal and integral part of the Reich and that it works with the Reich's best interests at heart. It is not ideal by any means, but it is the situation that is before me.

That said, this interminable Civil War is dragging on to ungodly lengths. I may have thought twice about backing Dietrich if I had known the chain of events that would follow it. If this situation can be resolved by diplomacy instead of arms, I will support such a move, so long as it results in a single united Swabia. A successful negotiation, if one is even possible, will certainly require concessions on both sides. Do not fool yourself into thinking that you can simply demand that the rebels bend knee to Athalwolf and fall back in-line. They are at least your equals on the field of battle, if not superior. The reality is that some power and influence will have to be ceded to them in order to end this peacefully.

As a gesture of my commitment to such a deal, I will swear to uphold any agreement by force of Bavarian arms. If a deal is reached between the rebels and the loyalists, whatever it is, I will personally lead the combined armies of Bavaria against any man who breaks it. Hells, I am so tiring of this war that I may even do so if you do not reach an agreement. I am sure that will cost me much in the Diet, but I frankly don't care anymore. I will continue to do what I think must be done for the betterment of the Reich. If I must march to Staufen myself and spank all Swabians like the naughty little children that they are, I may just do so.

Do not think that I am afraid to express any of this in public. You may freely distribute my words through the Imperial Messenger Service if you think that is of some advantage to you. I will not deny my involvement, my motives, or my beliefs. Indeed, I am proud of them. I serve the Reich above all else every waking day, even when that means risking my own life to do so. Whom do you serve? You follow a man who is Duke by chance and who is fighting a Civil War out of habit, not necessity. Put down your arms, put aside your bias, accept reality, and negotiate with Wolfgang.

Lothar Steffen
Duke of Bavaria

*Lothar finishes reading and puts down the letters.*

For the record, my intention in reading these is not to slander Ehrhart Ruppel. Of all the men in Swabia, he has the best record. He was nothing but loyal to both Hans and Athalwolf and he fought because it was his duty to do so. He did not waver or falter and for that he should be commended. It is a shame that he does not rule the Duchy, for I think it would be well-off under his guidance.

Now, clearly I placed higher faith in Wolfgang's abilities than was warranted, but I continue to stand by my statements. You will also notice that I sought to end the Swabian Civil War before more violence erupted at Staufen. I will also point out that you are now sitting in an Imperial Diet in a Bavarian province because I chose to be humble and donate it to the Kaiser for the greater good of the Reich. I have done much to put aside these conflicts that have torn apart the Reich and move on towards a united future. While I am actively attempting to heal these rifts, my fellow Dukes, Peter and Athalwolf, appear happy to reopen old wounds and possibly spark another schism within the Reich.

Ask yourselves, gentlemen, who is the real sinner here? The honest and honorable man who constantly sought only to do what he believed was in the best interests of the entire Reich, or the duplicitous and cowardly men who change their colors at the merest sign of hardship, and then attack others for not doing the same?

Hmph. I will say no more on this matter unless others continue to provoke me. If you all wish to drink your ale in peace, then simply keep your mouths shut, except as required to admit the passage of the requisite liquid.

AussieGiant
12-18-2007, 13:33
Having been entirely ignored by the three men in question, Arnold tries a different tact.

Right then...can I buy anyone a drink now all that's been taken care of?

Looking around the room.

Anyone?

gibsonsg91921
12-18-2007, 14:15
Lothar, I must leave as I have more important manners to attend to than bickering with a murderer.

However, when I went to Constantinople, I did not finance fratricide.

AussieGiant
12-18-2007, 14:55
Scowling hard at Peter as he departs.

You've made the right move to leave after that final comment Peter!!

Leaving is prudent lest we spill some blood here in this tavern!!