PDA

View Full Version : AI Battle Formation Mods

Lysander13
08-20-2007, 22:29
Ave fellow EB fans,

The following download is a zip file that contains several folders with installers within. This download will provide the EB Player with the opportunity to play EB using alternative Battle AI Formations and/or Player Formations. The EB Player will have the option to install either Darth Formations 16.2, Sinuhet’s 7.0 AI Battle Formations, and/or Marcus Camillus Player Formations with new formation buttons for the Roman UI. Provided with MC’s Player Formations will be his readme.txt file, which if one is inclined, can be referred to as a guide if need be. As it illustrates the proper unit mixture for sharp looking Republican and Imperial Legion Formations at it relates to this add-on. All the while, maintaining the ability to draw upon various non-roman formations as well. I’ve also taken the liberty of including an EB Archive installer. In which all modified files affected by the various add-ons included in this download, will be in their original form. So if at any point, the EB Player is so inclined, he or she can revert back to their original installation, simply by running the installer and pointing it towards the root directory of their EB installation.

These add-ons are intended for EB v1.1 installed on RTW 1.5. However, can be used and installed in the same fashion with no conflicts, if you happen to run EB with the BI executable ( 1.6 ) or ALEX.exe. These add-ons are also compatible with most unofficial fan made mods floating around the EB forums. As long as the unofficial mod that is to be used in conjunction with one of these add-ons doesn’t have it’s own formations or happen to be a mod-foldered mini mod. Then all should be good to go. The various add-ons and edited files provided here, merely reflect my “tastes” in gameplay and in the editing process. In that respect, perhaps they will suit others as well.

Credits:

Darth Vader: For permitting me the opportunity to share a modified version of his Darth Formations 16.2 code with my fellow EB Players.

Sinuhet: For permitting me the opportunity to share a modified version of his 7.0 AI Battle Formations code with my fellow EB Players.

Marcus Camillus: For graciously giving me leave to include his player formations mod in this download.

Snake_IV: For his formation buttons for the Roman UI.

Last, but certainly not least…….

The entire Europa Barbarorum team for their hardwork and dedication to providing us their fans, with a truly rich and unique gaming experience centered in the Classical World we all love and they have managed to bring to life in details to numerous to name.

Installation Instructions:
1) Unpack download in a place of your choosing.
2) Choose add-on and go into it’s respective folder.
3) Run installer located in folder and point towards the root directory of your EB installation.
For example I call my installation Europa Barbarorum. So were I to point the Installer to my root directory….it would look like this…….
C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Europa Barbarorum…
yours may be something like this….
C:\Program Files\Activision or The Creative Assembly\Rome-Total War 1.5…
4) Once target line is acquired, finish running the installer. It will take care of the rest.

Final Note: If installing Darth Formations along with MC’s Player Formations. MC’s Player Formations must be installed second in the installation procedure. The order is of no consequence if installing MC’s Player Formations with Sinuhet’s.

Vale,
Lysander13

Download Link:
http://files.filefront.com/AI+Battle+Formation+Modszip/;13889645;/fileinfo.html

mcantu
08-21-2007, 00:58
You have no idea how long i've been waiting for something like this!!!

Thaatu
08-21-2007, 08:49
:iloveyou:

mlp071
08-23-2007, 16:53
Great job :2thumbsup:

I am glad to see more variations in battle tactics for EB.It just makes EB more enjoyable and better~:cheers:

Lysander13
08-24-2007, 05:43
Thanks mlp. It was actuallly with your encouragement that i decided to seek permission and upload these edited files in the first place. I have always enjoyed playing EB with either Darth's or Sinuhet's AI, perhaps there will be others who enjoy one or the other as well.

On a side note, for those who haven't done so already; if you choose to use one of these formation mods or really even if you don't, I would go ahead and make one small change to the edu. It involves the class line entry in the edu. Change all units that have a class line entry of "skirmish" to "missile".
( There's about 37 or so) It appears as of the next release this will be done anyway ( MAA i believe said so more or less recently in a thread around here somewhere ) but it's something simple so you might as well just get it over with now. So you won't have to ask yourself why on some occasions you'll see Velites, Peltastai or some other unit affixed with the skirmish tag lining up somewhere they shouldn't be. Not to mention mcantu pointed out that this small change seems to solve AI spamming javelin units in campaign. Which makes perfect sense when you think about it because sometimes a javelin unit affixed with the skirmish tag will be placed in an infantry slot within the formation and on the same token it seems be spammed as an infantry unit in campaign when it's obvious that shouldn't be the intent. It seems the code is remnant to some extent but appears to me anyway not fully functional perhaps. Anyway, in case someone doesn't know what in hades i'm talking about here is the code for the edu....

in your text editor use the replace function (ctrl-H for notepad users)
in the find what box copy/paste the following entry:

class skirmish

in the replace with box copy/paste the following entry:

class missile

Click replace all and save.

Patriote
08-24-2007, 20:34
edu = export_descr_unit ??? :inquisitive:

mcantu
08-24-2007, 21:00
yes

GracchusTheGreat
08-25-2007, 06:00
Darth's have been working stupendously!

Sinhuet's have trouble with AI reinforcements. Often the reinforcing army enters the battlefield and remains in place at the far endl. Frustrating.

Darth's armies join up before attacking, sometimes from different angles. Very cool.

Lysander13
08-25-2007, 20:28
Originally posted by GracchusTheGreat

Darth's have been working stupendously!
Good to hear your enjoying them.:2thumbsup:

Sinhuet's have trouble with AI reinforcements. Often the reinforcing army enters the battlefield and remains in place at the far endl. Frustrating.
Hmmm...Just out of curiosity what unit size were you playing with when you experienced the idle reinforcing army using Sinuhet's? Did you happen to experience this on more than one occasion? I'm gonna check it out and see if i can get it to happen to me and while i am at it i'll double check the purpose flags as well to make sure everything is in order.

Darth's armies join up before attacking, sometimes from different angles. Very cool.
I'm actually enjoying Darth's myself in my current KH campaign. All things being relative; i'm loving the way the AI is handling itself. Specifically in battle vs. a cavalry heavy army. It is really cool to actually see the enemy literally contract and expand let's say their missile cav to cover just about an entire flank and then they just start to pepper that entire flank before charging in to crumble it. Good stuff :2thumbsup:

Edit: Purpose flags all seem to be in order. Specifically the multi role flag that is apparantly the one responsible for AI's use of reinforcement armies. Tried several battles where the AI had reinforcements and did not experience "idle" AI reinforcement army on any occasion using Sinuhet AI.

madmatg
09-26-2007, 22:31
i have had the idle reinforcements also with Sinhuit's
i am playing on large unit size, with no other mods. It doesnt happen everytime, i also am still dealing with the suicide AI Family members fairly often. They just charge straight into my thureuphoroi or whatever is on the flanks, they do this quite often before their army even arrives, i have to kinda run away just to avoid killing them before their army arrives. any help for this?

Lysander13
09-27-2007, 05:19
i have had the idle reinforcements also with Sinhuit's
i am playing on large unit size, with no other mods. It doesnt happen everytime, i also am still dealing with the suicide AI Family members fairly often. They just charge straight into my thureuphoroi or whatever is on the flanks, they do this quite often before their army even arrives, i have to kinda run away just to avoid killing them before their army arrives. any help for this?
Well here's the thing to keep in mind when one chooses to use either Darth's or Sinuhet's AI for EB no matter who has edited the file. Perhaps not as much with Darth's because he forces minimum and maximum width values in his formations that can override any mods edu parameters, ( presuming one is using a version where these values are not being omitted ) nevertheless this holds true for his formations to some extent as well. Both of these AI mods were tested and tweaked using different edu settings than EB's as they were obviously not made for EB. The edu and the Battle AI are intertwined; to what extent i don't believe there has been a consensus reached.....but as it's relative to Darth's and especially Sinuhet's AI edited for EB the thing to keep in mind is this....width and length of unit formation as defined by the edu and perhaps to a lesser extent the number of soldiers in the unit has a direct correlation with the optimal performance of either Darth's Formations ( to a lesser extent..i would say ) but especially Sinuhet's. I say to a lesser extent with Darth because he forces width values so unit cohesion stays on the moving template or sphere of control as the theory goes....Sinuhet doesn't force width values or at least not in the manner Darth does...So his formations for optimal performance require that the edu be tweaked to take his formations into account or what may happen from time to time is as you stated....idle reinforcements...or suicidal charges that make no sense because the template leaks sort of speak perhaps causing a unit or reinforcements to be idle or the sphere of control is lost as it's relative to formation cohesion and you get a beserky general charging right onto a wall of pikes. :wall:

I guess what i'm saying is for optimal performance of either Darth's or Sinuhet's AI the edu would have to be tweaked and i'd venture to say most EB players would not want something like that in the form of a mini-mod made by someone who wasn't on the team out of concern of perhaps unbalancing things a bit and perhaps rightfully so. I'm guessing most EB players would prefer the team itself handle something like that. Which BTW i'm not suggesting they should do. As i understand it they have their own plans in this area.

madmatg
09-27-2007, 07:21
ah, well, sadness...i'll just have to deal with some random easy AI's til the next release

thanks for the info

Lysander13
09-27-2007, 18:19
Actually i have to extend my apologies to an earlier poster in this thread who mentioned he encountered an idle reinforcing army from time to time using Sinuhet's AI as well. I went on to say i went back and tested it out several times and never encountered that problem. What i failed to remember was that i have an altered EDU file that i use with Sinuhet's formations so our end results in terms of effectiveness are gonna be a little different...:wall: My bad...

Darth Formations can generally be used "universally" by any mod because of his width forcing. Sinuhet's have to be more custom fitted sort of speak....at least in my opinion anyway.

Dram
10-04-2007, 12:00
thanks for this mod.

i just want to say that contrary to some of the opinions i have heard about darth mod, it DOES improve the way that the enemy deploys its troops. to me its not even about the formations- i dont care how the AI sets itself up at the start, its entirely pointless because the AI will not remain in that formation anyway. the reason why darth mod is better than the default formations is because the AI attacks more intelligently. It sticks its troops together properly, flanks, and just generally behaves in a much less stupid manner. thats not to say that its great, considering how poor the RTW AI is in general, theres only so much that can be improved, but this does GENUINELY make the AI behave in a much less stupid manner compared to the default EB formation settings and it was only after I installed this I started to get some decent battles out of the enemy.

I really think this component needs to be considered about this mod rather than whether the formations are realistic or not.

Lysander13
10-04-2007, 23:37
thanks for this mod.
Your quite welcome friend.

I just wanted to mention real quick on the topic of some who've mentioned in this thread experiencing and "idle" reinforcing army while using Sinuhet's AI:

This had me really curious as i've never experienced this using Sinuhet's AI. Mind you, i'm not doubting this occured; it's just genuinely something i haven't seen yet for some weird reason. I've seen it playing Vanilla RTW, i also saw it while toying around with Darth's Formations while omitting his width forcing ( and changing other things as well ) while playing with huge units ( never seen it however in regular Darth with his width forcing left in place as well as leaving alone the offsets he set up ), and i've also seen it with the regular EB AI. I always just chalked it up to the mysteries of the hardcoded AI; except in the case when i was toying around with Darth's where i knew the changes i made were directly responsible. But again for some strange reason...never seen it happen using Sinuhet's. At first i thought maybe i wasn't seeing this happen because i was using an edited EDU file where i had changed the width and depth of the units to see how they responded using Sinuhet's AI. So i put back the original EB EDU; thinking maybe the culprit perhaps was some of the width and depth of the units and maybe leaking out of the "AI template" sort of speak and maybe that was causing the reinforcing army to stay "idle". Well...no this appears to be a case where i was seriously out-thinking myself. As i didn't experience it with the original EB EDU either.:dizzy2:

So i decided to ask around a little bit and see what other's who use Sinuhet's AI in different mods had to say....I was pretty much told the same thing more or less..This is apparantly something that happens at random no matter the AI. It can be limited to a good extent by getting the "offsets" in the formation right, however still occurs on occasion but if modded wrong it can really screw it up and the reinforcing army will be "idle" all the time. In case one does not want to just take my word on this and needs a second voice sort of speak...I"ll qoute here on this thread and i hope he won't mind; Aradan one of the developers of the excellent mod FATW:The New Shadow. Qouted from The Complete EDU-Discussion thread in the modding question forum here at the org; where i asked him if any FATW players reported instances of an idle reinforcing army using Sinuhet's AI.

Originally posted by Aradan

I don't think any have, but I have seen it happening some times. But i have seen it hapenning with vanilla and Darth too. I have restricted it a bit by changing some offsets, but I don't think there's a way to solve it completely, due to the way the formations are coded - and the lack of a descrimination between normal and reinforcing armies.
So there it is....it would seem...The mysteries and aggravating instances of the hard-coded AI prevail once again.:wall:

Dooz
10-09-2007, 09:30
Wow, great job Lysander. Y'see, EB not only has the best mod team, it also has the best mini-modder community. With mods like this, the AI balancing mod by redmeth and Mlp071, and all the other great ones, it just keeps things going in a better direction.

I'm actually just about to start up an EB campaign, something I haven't done since 0.8x was released all those many months ago, and all because of these great mods and reading campaign reports and AAR's. Ooo, I'm all primed for some EB lovin'.

Ok this is getting weird. I'll just be over here installing.....

Thanks once again Lysander, can't wait to play with the formations pumping on all cylinders.

Lysander13
10-11-2007, 17:35
Thank you for the kind words Wonderland. Stay tuned as i will be updating this download very soon to include a few changes that i feel improve the effectiveness of the formations as well as adding a few extra goodies..:yes:

Dram
10-12-2007, 12:34
do you think the darth formations would be compatible with the new version?

Ludens
10-12-2007, 23:30
do you think the darth formations would be compatible with the new version?
Sure, but EB also worked on their own formations (although they are still not as extensive as Darth's or Sinuhet's), so please give them a try before you replace them.

The_Mark
10-13-2007, 10:29
Thank you, Ludens :bow:

Redmeth
10-13-2007, 12:09
The formations The_Mark made to a good job IMO you get flanked a lot and they arrange and behave very well, don't just compare the size of the files try them out first.

Uranos
10-13-2007, 13:59
There is also another things - descr_formations_ai.txt is close related on export_descr_units.txt so while using Darth's, Sinuhet's and The_Mark's (EB) formations on mod X you may find Darth' and Sinuhet's a bit better, for EB those 3 are more or less comparable imo.

Lysander13
10-14-2007, 09:35
Edited 1st post in this thread. Download has been updated to accommodate a few changes.

---Changes to Sinuhet file.
Added the engage_at_will tag to all missile units in attack formation. ( infantry & cavalry ) . So now when the formation toggles in battle… It’ll look like this for missile units….

--Defend:
default_melee_state fire_at_will_and_defend_and_skirmish

--Attack/Defend: ( Approaching Formation)
default_melee_state fire_at_will_and_skirmish

Now the formation toggles for Attack..
default_melee_state fire_at_will_and_engage_at_will_and_skirmish.

I changed this because I believe this setting takes better advantage of a lot of the missile units in EB that double as let’s say pretty damn good light infantry and light cavalry. This tag was prevalent in an earlier version of Sinuhet Formations, i’ve just re-introduced it to this version. Made a few other various changes to this file as well.

--I have changed the movement modifiers for what I believe is a better feel for these formations.
-- Added Marcus Camillus Player Formations to the download.
-- New formation buttons for the user interface.

Lysander13
11-22-2007, 16:36
**Shameful Bump from 2nd page abyss**:bump:

Diamondj
11-22-2007, 19:56
I feel dumb asking this but is it possible for someone to explain exactly what these formation mods do?

Lysander13
11-23-2007, 00:16
I feel dumb asking this but is it possible for someone to explain exactly what these formation mods do?
They simply provide alternatives to how the "AI" groups it's forces, moves with it's forces and subsequently attacks/defends with them.

cmacq
11-24-2007, 18:59
mate, your a class act.

Lysander13
11-24-2007, 21:19
:bow:

Leviathan DarklyCute
11-27-2007, 22:37
Lysander13 can you please upload another mirror not on filefront because filefront doesn't work for me? (and if it possible, not from megaupload too...):hanged:

Lysander13
11-28-2007, 05:42
No problem.....Perhaps this one will work for you....
http://www.zshare.net/download/521764016cecd8/

AlExal
12-05-2007, 06:11
I tried all AI mods and liked Sinuhet's AI most of all.
But there is a problem: elephants behave themself rather stupid.
Instead of crashing enemy orders they stay aside and throw missles. It seems that AI can't use them. Is there a way to solve this problem?

Lysander13
12-05-2007, 20:16
Originally Posted by AlExal

I tried all AI mods and liked Sinuhet's AI most of all.
That makes 2 of us.:beam:

But there is a problem: elephants behave themself rather stupid.
Instead of crashing enemy orders they stay aside and throw missles. It seems that AI can't use them. Is there a way to solve this problem?
Well the AI in general is rather stupid no matter what formations are being used....but hell, stupid AI is a rather common theme in most computer games. More to the point, i take it you mean you've seen elephant units discharge all their missiles and then do nothing but sit there? or do you just want them to barrel into battle lines and missiles be damned? Anyhow, I have seen both occur as i'm sure most who have played RTW for any length of time...Not necessarily using Sinuhet Formations for EB ( not yet anyway..but i'm sure i will at some point )..i've seen it in Vanilla and other formation mods, not to mention other mods in general that say they have "optimized" settings to go along with their formation systems. So to answer question..**shrugs**
who knows?..your guess is as good as mine. For a more so to speak detailed answer...this has to do with the battlefield role flags as of course everything on the battlefield is as it's relative to formations but what's not absolutely clear to me sometimes it's how these flags interact with hardcoded AI routines. Sure i know there's a general idea of what these flags do...however it's tricky to discern when they toggle during the flow of battle so to speak.
Sorry...the AI is just dumb in general. I love playing RTW with great mods like EB....but it's never been because of the AI.

AlExal
12-05-2007, 22:22
No no. I haven't said that AI is stupid. I've just said that AI can't use elephants. For exampe it knows how to use skurmish cav or archers. Right? It doesn't make archers charge melee. It uses them in a right way. Some people say that in vanilla AI general uses elephants in best way. And in most AI mods he doesn't know what to do with them.
Mod is nearley perfect, and I enjoy playing it because I like history of those times, atmospere it creates. I can't name all it's features)
But this thread is about AI. Right? So I post my questions about it there.

Lgk
12-05-2007, 22:41
...or do you just want them to barrel into battle lines and missiles be damned?
If you ask me - yes, "missiles be damned". Elephants tend to lose most shootouts anyway. Esp stupid if they try it vs velites and artillery.

I found that increased "stat_charge_distance" in EDU forces them to make at least one initial charge, but after disengaging they love to bunch aside and start playing Robin Hood yet again. AI = Artificial Idiot.

Lysander13
12-06-2007, 04:54
No no. I haven't said that AI is stupid. I've just said that AI can't use elephants. For exampe it knows how to use skurmish cav or archers. Right? It doesn't make archers charge melee. It uses them in a right way. Some people say that in vanilla AI general uses elephants in best way. And in most AI mods he doesn't know what to do with them.
Mod is nearley perfect, and I enjoy playing it because I like history of those times, atmospere it creates. I can't name all it's features)
But this thread is about AI. Right? So I post my questions about it there.
My pardons friend...I did not mean to come across rather gruff so to speak, if that's what you inferred. I assure you that was not my intent. I was bored at work and went on a rant apparantly but i understood perfectly what you were saying. By all means friend, feel free to discuss all things AI related in this thread.:2thumbsup: You make a good point on how the elephants were used in Vanilla and how it differs from their use in AI mods, for example like Darth's & Sinuhet's. In vanilla, if i recall correctly, elephants were pretty much grouped in with regular cavalry. Which was why they charged in and didn't bother too much with skirmishing and the same could be said with skirmishing type cavalry for that matter, if i recall correctly. I remember people complaining that skirmishers didn't bother to skirmish. Where as in AI mods, the formations have been a bit more specialized and elephants have been assigned to skirmisher blocks for the most part along with perhaps chariots, missile infantry, or perhaps other missile cavalry depending on the formation and the formation block. The aim being for them to discharge their missiles and in the case of elephants and let's say horse archers or other missile cavalry, to charge in when they had spent a good amount of their ammunition, instead of charging in from the outset. At the same time, in the case of Sinuhet's Formations, manipulate the default_melee_state flag within the formation to influence skirmisher block behaviour..i.e.skirmish..fire_at_will..
engage_at_will..etc..Depending on the purpose flag.

Well it's pretty much been my experience that this works out pretty well. However, if i had to name a culprit as to perhaps why on occasions the AI doesn't seem to know what to do with elephants. I would guess it's because of the unit classification of heavy cavalry for elephants. In AI mods, like i said they are placed in skirmisher blocks...in EB's AI ( by AI i'm referring to descr_formations_ai.txt, BTW ) they are placed in their own block within a given formation, as oppose to being part of a skirmisher block, if i recall correctly. However, in both, they are placed in those respective blocks under unit_type elephants. Where as in vanilla there is no such occurrence in the descr_formations_ai.txt file. They are simply labeled as cavalry or heavy cavalry and are placed in blocks within the formations as such. BTW, the same is true for heavy_chariots. Perhaps the unit_type elephants tag, as it's relative to the formation blocks, confuses the AI on how exactly to utilize this unit. Don't get me wrong it is a working tag/code of course, in the sense that it places the elephants in the respective blocks when called upon. I'm only saying it wasn't used in vanilla as elephants and chariots for that matter, were classified as cavalry, heavy cavalry, and in the case of chariots a few instances of missile cavalry. Just an observation.....

Originally Posted by Lgk

If you ask me - yes, "missiles be damned". Elephants tend to lose most shootouts anyway. Esp stupid if they try it vs velites and artillery.
Right....Especially in EB where their not unstoppable M1 Abrams Tanks.

I found that increased "stat_charge_distance" in EDU forces them to make at least one initial charge, but after disengaging they love to bunch aside and start playing Robin Hood yet again. AI = Artificial Idiot.
I've toyed around alot with the stat_charge_distance stat in the EDU and to be honest, i'm not really sure it's worth the trouble. BTW Lgk, nice tip in the Steppe expansion thread.....:2thumbsup:

AlExal
12-06-2007, 07:07
Thanks, everything is clear now.
So i can make elephants attack immidiately by putting them in one group with
ordinary cav?
It's only my opinion, but i still think that missle attack is secondary for them. They do extremly little damage with their bows and they can't stand agains group of peltasts or archers. They stand aside and allow to drive them crazy with the help of firing missles.
So do i have to edit descr_formations_ai?

Lysander13
12-06-2007, 15:38
Thanks, everything is clear now.
So i can make elephants attack immidiately by putting them in one group with
ordinary cav?
It's only my opinion, but i still think that missle attack is secondary for them. They do extremly little damage with their bows and they can't stand agains group of peltasts or archers. They stand aside and allow to drive them crazy with the help of firing missles.
So do i have to edit descr_formations_ai?
Right...to try out what your saying with Sinuhet's formations you would have to do a small alteration to the descr_formations_ai.txt file. I'm at work right now, so unfortunately I cannot give you an example of the code. But I assure you is very simple, if you would like to give it a try.
I'm not sure if your going to know what I'm talking about..but here goes...in the formations ai file..go to the skirmisher block of each formation and simply comment out all instances of unit_type elephants by using... ; of course. I can't think of any conflicts off hand at the moment but doing this should revert elephant units to be assigned to cavalry blocks as oppose to the skirmisher block..since in the EDU their classified as heavy cavalry. Test it out and see what you think..Let me know how it goes...I'll be curious to know what you think...

AlExal
12-11-2007, 16:42
So first of all I've tried to fix Darth 2nd Version.
That's my first experience in modding so the result of my efforts is quite poor(
Nevertheless it seems that elephants started to act a bit more like cav, not like missile inf.
So I deleted elephants from any block with missile inf and put it with cav.
Could someone more expirienced in modding have a look at my work?
Or is there anywhere some kind of manual about modding AI?

Decimus Attius Arbiter
12-11-2007, 20:17
Bravo on Darthmod for phalanx factions. I need to do more testing. But I noticed a dramatic difference playing Selukeia against Makedon in custom battles. The enemy kept its formation approaching me. The light spearmen did not try to run in front of its fellow phalanx and tried to attack my flanks.

My theory is that Sinhuet's seems to be better for player factions like Rome or maybe Aedui or Arverni. I never got massive RTW 1.0 spreading playing as them like I did as the Selukids. Darth's seems great with phalanxes. Finally hammer and anvil tactics.

delablake
12-12-2007, 19:05
thank you very much, I'll go and try this out in my new campaign!

And this is for you:

:balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2:

Lysander13
12-12-2007, 20:48
So first of all I've tried to fix Darth 2nd Version.
That's my first experience in modding so the result of my efforts is quite poor(
Nevertheless it seems that elephants started to act a bit more like cav, not like missile inf.
So I deleted elephants from any block with missile inf and put it with cav.
Could someone more expirienced in modding have a look at my work?
Or is there anywhere some kind of manual about modding AI?
Fix??...What do you mean by fix?
I'm going to assume you mean that you attempted what i suggested to you in a previous post. You don't have to delete anything persay and you don't have to put them in any other block. As by commenting out this line they should revert back to being used in the formations as cavalry in the respective cavalry blocks. All you have to do is comment out the elephant line in the skirmisher block by using a semicolon ( ; )...( without the parenthesis ) at the beginning of each line with an instance of unit_type elephant in the skirmisher block of each formation. Note: I've never experimented with this, therefore i'm not sure of how it's going to look or play on the battlefield with these particular formations ; as i happen to like them right where they are, but in Vanilla they were not used in skirmish blocks per say, as the unit_type elephant wasn't used, if i recall correctly and by default would get assigned to cavalry blocks. I only made this suggestion to you, so you could test it and see if you happen to like it better. If your still having a problem doing this...I'll give you an example of the code later on, if you'd still like to do it yourself. ( I'm using a blackberry right now and it's a pain just to type this..:dizzy2: )

@ Decimus Attius Arbiter & delablake....:bow:

Lysander13
12-13-2007, 02:52
@ AlExal
Here's an example of code for a skirmisher block in Sinuhet's Formations. Notice the unit_type elephants line.

;; Skirmishing and front attack
begin_block 0
max_units 3
not_general
unit_type elephants 1.0
unit_type heavy_chariots 1.0
unit_type missile cavalry 0.9
unit_type skirmish infantry 0.6
unit_type chanting_screeching 0.5
block_formation line
block_relative_pos 0 0.0 0.0
inter_unit_spacing 4.0
priority 1.0
end_block
Here is the same block of code with the unit_type elephants line commented out.

;; Skirmishing and front attack
begin_block 0
max_units 3
not_general
;unit_type elephants 1.0
unit_type heavy_chariots 1.0
unit_type missile cavalry 0.9
unit_type skirmish infantry 0.6
unit_type chanting_screeching 0.5
block_formation line
block_relative_pos 0 0.0 0.0
inter_unit_spacing 4.0
priority 1.0
end_block
Notice the only difference in the second example is the use of the semicolon at the beginning of the unit_type elephants line. The compiler will now disregard this line and skip on to the next. Add this semicolon to every instance of unit_type elephants using your text editor ( such as notepad )
and all elephants should now revert back to being deployed like heavy cavalry, as they were in vanilla. Keep in mind these formations were designed and tested with the unit_types within the formation blocks as they currently stand. However, if you'd like to try this out for yourself...By all means friend...go right ahead. :2thumbsup:

Hooahguy
12-19-2007, 20:20
just one question: is this save-game compatible?
and whats the difference between the two ai formation mods?

Lysander13
12-19-2007, 21:31
just one question: is this save-game compatible?
and whats the difference between the two ai formation mods?
Yes it is.
Their are some differences in the manner in which each formation mod is coded. However, as for performance differences, that's a matter of opinion. Some like Darth...Some like Sinuhet...I'd suggest to try them both and decide for yourself friend....:2thumbsup:

Hooahguy
12-20-2007, 04:11
which is more stable?

Lysander13
12-20-2007, 06:09
Stability is not an issue in either case. They both work perfectly fine.

Boyar Son
12-25-2007, 22:23
If the installer says I require a password but a choice to skip (i skipped all of them for each formation) does that mean I have done some thing wrong?

Maybe the proof that it is correct is the fact that my troops are better organized, there are no pre-battle speech, and my Roman front line starts with guard mode (fire at will too?) and the second line has fire at will on, and battles seem harder ( but it might not and just be the same thing).

BUT: If the installer says I require a password but a choice to skip (i skipped all of them for each formation) does that mean I have done some thing wrong?

Lysander13
12-27-2007, 03:34
If the installer says I require a password but a choice to skip (i skipped all of them for each formation) does that mean I have done some thing wrong?

Maybe the proof that it is correct is the fact that my troops are better organized, there are no pre-battle speech, and my Roman front line starts with guard mode (fire at will too?) and the second line has fire at will on, and battles seem harder ( but it might not and just be the same thing).

BUT: If the installer says I require a password but a choice to skip (i skipped all of them for each formation) does that mean I have done some thing wrong?
Installer says you require a password but your given a choice to skip them all, which you did for each formation?????
I'm afraid i have no idea what your talking about.
I did not put these files in an installer; they are contained within a zip file and they certainly do not require any password to access. To install, you unzip into your EB/data folder and click yes to overwrite when prompted to. These files do not affect anything other than formations and formation buttons for the UI.

Boyar Son
12-27-2007, 19:39
well the last paragraph was just so you know what happened when I played with the formations supposedly "installed"...

I think its installed because in the armies my infantry are set in a historicaly plausible formation....

-BUT- I'm just not sure with the installer asking me for a _password_. And you didnt say anything about a _password_ so I assumed I did it wrong... and I didnt click "overwrite" anywhere....

Really did I do it or not? because there are changes, but it happened with installing it a different way

Lysander13
12-28-2007, 18:16
well the last paragraph was just so you know what happened when I played with the formations supposedly "installed"...

I think its installed because in the armies my infantry are set in a historicaly plausible formation....

-BUT- I'm just not sure with the installer asking me for a _password_. And you didnt say anything about a _password_ so I assumed I did it wrong... and I didnt click "overwrite" anywhere....

Really did I do it or not? because there are changes, but it happened with installing it a different way
Do you happen to have Windows Vista as your OS? If so, i'm not yet familiar with the particulars of Vista as i'm holding on to my trusty XP OS for the time being. Perhaps asking you for a password is a security feature of sorts on your system. Other than that, i'm not really sure why your being asked for a password as these files are not password protected. BTW, as a rule, i don't think file sharing sites like filefront for example, allow password protected files to be uploaded on their sites.

Anyhow, to verify you have installed;
Go to....Your Rome Installation/EB/data folder and open the descr_formations_ai.txt file with a text editor. ( ie..notepad )
If at the top of the file you don't see anything referencing Darth Formations 16.2 or Sinuhet Battle Formations ( depending on which one you attempted to install ) then it did not install correctly and it's a safe bet the other files associated with this addon did not install correctly either.

Boyar Son
12-29-2007, 02:54
I have XP.

Ya it asked me for a password each time for each install (even tho I only installed darth's).

I'll try what you said, but these formations in game look diffenerent and historically plausible, who knows?

Thanks for the support and giving me these formations!

Hooahguy
01-07-2008, 16:25
this is a bump for olly to easily find this.....

olly
01-08-2008, 14:41
Cheers fella

phonicsmonkey
01-11-2008, 02:09
thanks lysander13, this is great!

:balloon2:

mlc82
02-05-2008, 06:52
Just saying thanks for this! :beam:

worlddomination88
02-07-2008, 07:32
So the AI is smarter with the Darth mod formations. Does this apply to 1.0?
And if im not mistaking somebody said that they tweaked things for battle formations in 1.0. Is the Darth mod formation still better than 1.0??

Or should I just leave it alone and keep playing 1.0

Ludens
02-07-2008, 23:03
Yes, this mod works with 1.0, and I think that the A.I. performs a little better. The R:TW will never win any prizes, but with Darth's or Sinuhet's formations it's a bit more proactive.

olly
02-12-2008, 14:37
Hello

These two mini mods have greatly improved the fun I have had but in the last couple of weeks I have been using Alexander instead of BI. How would these mods work with Alex?

Thanks

NEver
02-13-2008, 02:14
They work the same, pretty much. Unit size affects them more than anything.

Leão magno
02-13-2008, 03:14
Ave Lysander13, are those links bellow your sig updated? Or should I make some manual updates?

Lysander13
02-15-2008, 23:12
Ave Lysander13, are those links bellow your sig updated? Or should I make some manual updates?
Ave Leo,
The files are for the current version of EB, for that matter; they can be used with an older version ( but not any version before the Saba were added ) and the next version of EB as well, as the file structure in installing/unzipping the files remains the same. The only time this would need to be updated were if the factions were to change or of course i tweak these files, and/or added other changes to other files that have a direct relationship to these AI files. Which i may do, if i can ever find the free time to make these changes and test them thoroughly.

Originally Posted by olly

Hello

These two mini mods have greatly improved the fun I have had but in the last couple of weeks I have been using Alexander instead of BI. How would these mods work with Alex?

Thanks
They should work just fine. Unless you happen to be playing a mod-foldered mini-mod with EB that uses it's own formations but i don't think there's any of those around here, last i checked anyway. Glad your enjoying them olly..:2thumbsup:

NEver
03-10-2008, 12:20
So was that reinforcements bug ever fixed or...?

Lysander13
03-10-2008, 21:16
So was that reinforcements bug ever fixed or...?
Reinforcement battles in RTW have always been a rather buggy situation as I'm sure anyone who's played RTW or mod thereof can attest to. It's something I've experienced in vanilla, various mods with or without formation mods and even in EB with EB formations. One thing seems to be certain however at least to me if one happens to mess around with formations. It does seem if your off on the offsets granted in the attack/defend formation it can make a buggy situation worse. So the reverse should hold true or rather not totally eliminate the buggy reinforcing armies one may experience from time to time but perhaps limit how often such a thing a thing occurs. Really however I don't think it's truly been solved, at best limited in a manner of speaking.

Alexandros Maximus
04-05-2008, 22:16
i installed darth and marcus camillus formations.

none of the formations are there, but i am running my romani savegame.

so i'm assuming that the formations are not savegame compatible??????

Lysander13
04-06-2008, 17:12
i installed darth and marcus camillus formations.

none of the formations are there, but i am running my romani savegame.

so i'm assuming that the formations are not savegame compatible??????
I fail to see why it wouldn't be save game compatible. There should be no issues with save game compatibility.

As for the formations not being there:
If they are not there. Then you have not installed properly. It's a zip file contained within the correct EB file structure so it will overwrite the necessary files if unzipped in the correct location. Which BTW is the main install directory of where you have EB installed not the data folder in case it needs to be mentioned. If you were not prompted to overwrite when you unzipped then you did not do it in the correct location. Also note, when you using MC's player formations and DV Formations. You must install DV's first, then MC's player formations. You can verify installation simply by opening your descr_formations.txt file ( in the EB Data folder ) with a text editor ( ie..notepad ) for MC's player formations, scroll down a bit and look for a reference saying " Marcus Camillus' Republican Roman Legion Formation ". Do the same for DV's formations, however this time your opening up the descr_formations_ai.txt file and right along the top of the file it should say Darth_Dark_Formations 16.2. The above verification assumes you've installed both of these in the right order and that their installed in the correct location.

Alexandros Maximus
04-06-2008, 20:45
had to do it different (unpack, cut/paste, instead of directly unpacking) because of vista's security shit.

running EB now to see if it worked.

Pezlu
04-11-2008, 13:16
Has 1.1 improved formations over 1.0?

If not, is this compatible with 1.1? :P
By comparing the files it would look so. Do you confirm?
I love this mod, it actually makes the game more challenging and interesting!

Ludens
04-11-2008, 13:25
Formation files are pretty independent from the rest of the game, so they are almost certainly compatible. I cannot answer your other question.

Lysander13
04-12-2008, 07:07
Has 1.1 improved formations over 1.0?

If not, is this compatible with 1.1? :P
By comparing the files it would look so. Do you confirm?
I love this mod, it actually makes the game more challenging and interesting!
1) EB's 1.1 formations are the same as 1.0.
2) Yes this is compatible with 1.1. Even the archived files can be used if one would happen to want to switch back. Ludens was quite correct. Formations for the most part are very independent and can be used from version to version.
3) Confirmed.
4) :bow: ....Glad your enjoying it. I hope to improve on the relationship between certain EB files and these formation mods very soon for what will hopefully turn out to be a more enjoyable result as it's relative to using these formation mods. Particularly for Sinuhet's Formations. For example i was actually extremely happy to see mass being raised for cavalry. :2thumbsup:
Anyhow, all i need is actual recreational time to be able to do this....:wall:

STuNTz2023
05-26-2008, 15:01
sorry have a quick question. Yesterday i installed Darth and Marcus' player formations. I decided to try them out in my roman save game and the formation worked beautifully. However with some of my army's the formations for republic and imperial formations are in red and will not let me use those formations. Am i missing needed units? Do i have to have the specific amount of each unit as he mentions in his readme?

Thanks for this mod the battles have been a very pleasent change! :2thumbsup:

Lysander13
05-27-2008, 18:54
Yesterday i installed Darth and Marcus' player formations. I decided to try them out in my roman save game and the formation worked beautifully. However with some of my army's the formations for republic and imperial formations are in red and will not let me use those formations. Am i missing needed units? Do i have to have the specific amount of each unit as he mentions in his readme?

Thanks for this mod the battles have been a very pleasent change! :2thumbsup:
Yes.
Just follow the unit roster layout that's spelled out in the readme for very sharp looking Republic and Imperial formations and you should have no trouble accesing the formations once you've grouped all your units together. Glad you find the formations to your liking. :2thumbsup:

Ibrahim
05-31-2008, 04:41
I am now a highly satisfied customer..finally! an AI that makes sense!!

:balloon2: :balloon2: :balloon2: for all involved!!

||Lz3||
06-17-2008, 18:38
what's the diference between sinhuet's and darth's formations?:sweatdrop:

||Lz3||
06-21-2008, 07:37
I have a question why everytime I attack the enemy army refuses to engage?? I mean its like if they had some sort of "skirmish mode" on , I get close and then they start running back ...the whole army!!

Im using darth's 2nd version since I cant handle huge (playing w large) and also marcus camillus , I'm using alx.exe if that matters...

Ibrahim
06-23-2008, 19:59
I have a question why everytime I attack the enemy army refuses to engage?? I mean its like if they had some sort of "skirmish mode" on , I get close and then they start running back ...the whole army!!

Im using darth's 2nd version since I cant handle huge (playing w large) and also marcus camillus , I'm using alx.exe if that matters...

how badly do you outnumber them?
that's usually the reason for the retreats..

||Lz3||
06-23-2008, 22:46
I dont outnumber them by much...but...well that could be it , that's what I'm guessing

belliger
06-24-2008, 19:22
hally lysander.
i just wish to know what is the difference between these minimods; which is better and for which aim? and, moreover: is it EB 1.1 compatible?
thank you
belliger

Ibrahim
06-28-2008, 00:37
hally lysander.
i just wish to know what is the difference between these minimods; which is better and for which aim? and, moreover: is it EB 1.1 compatible?
thank you
belliger

they are all obvously modded for EB 1.1, so the files here in this thread are good to go. as for the diff-I dunno, I just picked randomly:idea2:

||Lz3||
06-28-2008, 01:42
hally lysander.
thank you
belliger

well...

there are 2 darth versions...

original works best than 2nd version , but is only advisable to use it whit huge unit sizes , otherwise it wont work

darth 2nd version is the same as first but made compatible whit smaller unit sizes

marcus camillus is more specialized in roman formations,but also work whit every other faction (is an add on, you need to use first one of darth's or sinhuet's mod)

and finally sinhuet...heheh I haven't used that one... is kinda like darth's 2nd , but I heard it had problems whit reinforcements

Lysander13
06-30-2008, 20:36
hally lysander.
thank you
belliger
Ave belliger,

The difference between the AI Formation Mods lies in some of the coding and theory's reached thru empirical methods of testing. Which I won't bore you with. There is a distinct difference between the 2 versions of the DV Formations and that is one of them has been put forth with DV's width forcing omitted. If using DV Formations if that is your preference, I would recommend using the 1st version, IIRC. This version is original DV Formations with width forcing in place solely modded for compatibility with EB. I only included a 2nd version for those who do not like to or cannot play with unit size set on huge. Reason being is that with width forcing in place when playing on smaller unit sizes; it has the visual effect of the thinning of battle lines which some may not like since the formation set will override any EDU parameters.. However if this is something you don't mind you can certainly play with this version and as a matter of fact I would encourage the use of this version if one chooses to play with DV Formations. For those who choose to use the 2nd version with the width forcing omitted, keep in mind the formation sets were designed, coded and tested with this width forcing in mind. MC Player formations can obviously be used with either AI Formation Mod as it is of course for use by the player only.

As for which Formation Mod is better?
That's a matter of preference I suppose. I prefer both to standard stock AI. Between those 2, I personally prefer Sinuhet's Formations as I tend to prefer the behavior of the Battle AI ( All things being relative of course ) with these formations. However for a better result with Sinuhet Formations there are a few other files that could use tweaking so to speak. I did it for my own personal use with 1.0 and really liked the results. Unfortunately I have not gotten around to doing it for 1.1 as I'm probably the only EB fan who has yet to play a campaign in 1.1 and admittedly have not checked to see the differences between the files that's relative to AI Formations behavior in 1.0/1.1 and whether they have had a positive or negative result. For an example of what I'm talking about, play a battle in S.P.Q.R. ...or... RTR TIC both of which use Sinuhet Formations last I checked and you'll see what I mean. As a matter of fact for RTR TIC it was an EB Beta-Tester (mcantu) who did the tweaking of the other files I'm referring to and he did a really great job. However, they are compatible with 1.1 as several have already mentioned. Hope you find one of them to your liking.

Vale,
L13

QuintusSertorius
07-06-2008, 11:54
I'm going to give DarthMod a try, used to it from RTR of old anyway. Just as a thought, might be worth packaging up a "backup files" zip inside the bundle so people can easily go back to the original files if need be. I think that would add to the utility of the collection a great deal.

EDIT: Looks like there might be just that in there, however from the dates they're from 1.0, not 1.1.

belliger
07-06-2008, 15:18
thank you very much

Lysander13
07-06-2008, 15:52
Looks like there might be just that in there, however from the dates they're from 1.0, not 1.1.
That would be because there are no changes between versions of the files in question. Therefore no update to the archived files were needed.

@belliger
:bow:

Woreczko
07-08-2008, 00:37
Minor glitch: In archived EB files, all UI files (battlepage_02.tga) are from barbarian UI. Others are missing. I foolishly overwrote the original ones without making a backup and now I`m stuck with barbarian buttons. If anyone would be so kind to upload EB 1.1 files from EB\data\UI\[culture]\interface\battlepage_02.tga, it would be greatly appreciated :).

Lysander13
07-08-2008, 03:55
Hmmm. Silly mistake on my part while putting together the backups it would seem. Goes to show ya, it's always best to make your own just in case. Anyhow, this is no big deal as you can just get the backup your looking for from your vanilla data folder anyway.

Woreczko
07-08-2008, 21:46
I thought, EB made it`s own "buttons"...? Thanks anyway, will try :)

QuintusSertorius
07-13-2008, 14:49
As you can see in a thread on the very topic (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=105473), so far I've not been very impressed with the AI's handling of either the default EB formations, nor DarthMod either when it comes to phalanx armies.

Is Sinhuet's mod any better? Can they hold a line with it? Problem is the AI starts out with it's troops in the right place, then proceeds to march them all over the place and lose any sense of cohesion, making them ridiculously easy to beat in series.

Lysander13
07-17-2008, 04:58
Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius

As you can see in a thread on the very topic (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=105473), so far I've not been very impressed with the AI's handling of either the default EB formations, nor DarthMod either when it comes to phalanx armies.
There are a number of things that one can point to where the AI is less than impressive. You've just pointed out one. This is by no means a bash, merely an observation, but if the devs of the RTW title didn't get formations quite right and made them pretty basic essentially. Not to mention, it's presumed they had access to the hard-coded routines as it relates to battlefield behavior and yet still the battlefield AI left a little to be desired. How is any modder attempting to influence battlefield behavior solely on a superficial level suppose to address wacky behavior issues that date back to the vanilla version of the game? That's not to say some success cannot be attained. I for one prefer EB, Darth, Sinuhet, or some formations i've concocted for myself as oppose to vanilla formations. But success is relative and one cannot always account for some wacky behavior by units at times. Anyone who's played this series for any length of time cannot be expecting to be blown away by it's AI. Even something as simple it would seem as holding a phalanx center consistently.

Is Sinhuet's mod any better?
It's all relative. I happen to prefer Sinuhet Formations.

Can they hold a line with it?
They can hold a line. Question would be if it's held long enough for your liking.

Problem is the AI starts out with it's troops in the right place, then proceeds to march them all over the place and lose any sense of cohesion, making them ridiculously easy to beat in series.
This has always been a problem going back to vanilla. If the original devs didn't quite get it right. How is a modder suppose to considering the limitations? You can mask it a bit perhaps via formation modding but the hardcode is the hardcode. There's only so much that can be done in this area of modding that in my opinion is by far the least rewarding.

QuintusSertorius
07-17-2008, 10:54
Absolutely, and I should say my frustration isn't aimed at you guys trying to do the best with the material you have to work with. It's aimed at CA for putting together such piss-poor AI in the first place. If they'd spent more time on the AI, and less on pretty bells and whistles (ie graphics), they'd have a much more solid game.

But then graphics is what sells, unfortunately. Most people, it seems, don't actually care about gameplay.

Poulp'
07-17-2008, 10:57
It seems to me that CA originaly planned RTW battle to be played with no or little redeployement.
ie, press start battle and march forward, whatever the context of the battle might be.

konny
07-17-2008, 13:01
If they'd spent more time on the AI, and less on pretty bells and whistles (ie graphics), they'd have a much more solid game.

But then graphics is what sells, unfortunately. Most people, it seems, don't actually care about gameplay.

That's the point. People buy games because of screenshots and first impressions of other players. Things like weak AI will reveal much later when players have gained more experince with the game. In RTW it seems that the AI has particular problems with larger battles. It gives a fair account in small battles with not more than 5 units each, but behaves poorly in epic battles with 20 units, leave alone reinforcements.

mlc82
07-17-2008, 17:16
Absolutely, and I should say my frustration isn't aimed at you guys trying to do the best with the material you have to work with. It's aimed at CA for putting together such piss-poor AI in the first place. If they'd spent more time on the AI, and less on pretty bells and whistles (ie graphics), they'd have a much more solid game.

The most amazing part is that the original Medieval TW AI was actually decent, and could form and keep a coherent line (along with using units properly most of the time) right out of the box- I've actually lost even battles versus the Medieval 1 AI, not so with RTW or M2 unless the other side's units just dramatically overpower my own. I wouldn't be surprised if they dumbed it down solely to help it sell more to the masses really. Medieval 2 isn't much better in it's vanilla state AI wise.

Ludens
07-17-2008, 18:38
Yes, in M:TW and S:TW the A.I. was actually quite good. It kept formation, didn't walk its soldiers into obvious killing zones, knew how to flank and penetrate, and would actively search for ambushes at higher difficulty levels. Mind you, it wasn't perfect. Suicide generals were not new to R:TW (although it got worse), and if you were a bit experienced at the game you could reliably beat it at 1:1. But with R:TW they upped the pace of the game as well as the graphic requirements. As a result, they couldn't allocate much CPU power to the A.I. without driving the system requirements through the roof, so they didn't. :no:

johnhughthom
07-17-2008, 19:04
I thought suicidal generals were worse in MTW. My entire strategy in any MTW battle was "kill the general" and it wasn't overly difficult. My best example was my full English stack vs a full Papal stack when the pope charged straight at me, died right away and the entire enemy army routed with 1 person being killed. The less said about the Pope leading an army in battle the better, though.
I should add I had some great battles too, my favourite battle on any Total War game was with Medieval, a crusade battle involving 4 full stacks came down to my faction heir, who was leading the crusade, against the Egyptian king. One on one the only people left alive on the battlefield. It was epic.

mlc82
07-21-2008, 05:11
Suicide generals were a BIG problem since at least MTW1 (didn't really play Shogun so can't comment) that CA simply never bothered to address. In MTW however, they were LIGHTSABER WIELDING suicidal generals who most of the time would not die for half of the battle even with hordes of your own soldiers stabbing at them. In both RTW and M2, they usually just immediately charge a spearwall and drop like flies. Using the Alex mod with EB seems to have brought back the lightsaber general phenomenon though, as I routinely watch enemy generals surrounded by all manner of spearmen hack and slash away for a good 5-10 minutes or so before finally dying, even after their entire bodyguard has been killed off.

||Lz3||
07-21-2008, 05:14
I'm not sure if that's alex.exe responsability... are you using the full alex EB mod? I havn't checked that one... so there could be something related...

Havok.
07-21-2008, 05:20
I'm not sure if that's alex.exe responsability... are you using the full alex EB mod? I havn't checked that one... so there could be something related...

It isn't, i witnessed hundreds of times that kind of phenomena on my EB campaigns on rtw.exe, while on alex.exe i dont see those kind of things on a regular basis(or at all)

Lysander13
07-24-2008, 06:32
The first page in this thread has been updated to reflect an updated download link. Various changes were made and an error in the Archives Folder has been corrected. For those who like to use an alternative Battle AI with EB or if you happen to be one who hasn't but is curious. I urge you to give the new download a try.

||Lz3||
07-24-2008, 06:46
error? what error in the archives folder if I may ask , does it have a noticeable effect? :sweatdrop:

and if you could explain the changes a litle bit , that would be awesome :beam:

but great job Lysander , thanks!

EDIT: Lysander if I may ask... what happened to darth 2nd version? I can't play on huge settings :(

Lysander13
07-24-2008, 19:34
error? what error in the archives folder if I may ask , does it have a noticeable effect? :sweatdrop:

and if you could explain the changes a litle bit , that would be awesome :beam:

but great job Lysander , thanks!

EDIT: Lysander if I may ask... what happened to darth 2nd version? I can't play on huge settings :(
Thanks Lz.

1) The error in the previous Archives zip.file was spotted by a poster several posts ago. I mistakenly gave the battlepage tga file that contains the new formation buttons to all the cultures. When I should have only given it to the Romans. Subsequently, in the archive file I previously provided. If the user wished to uninstall in a manner of speaking and used the provided archived file to do so. I mistakenly provided just the original Roman culture battlepage tga to all culture groups. End result being, let's say your playing as the Arveni. If you look at your UI, you'll notice a Roman shield where there should be a culture specific "Barbarian" shield. No big deal in the sense that it's not game breaking or anything. It's just a little detail that's rather irritating to get wrong. Never noticed it until someone mentioned it a few posts ago. The new archive.exe corrects this rather lazy mistake on my part. My apologies to all who may have this problem and may or may not have noticed it and downloaded and installed the previous download link. In the new download, the archive.exe will correct this problem if you haven't already done so for yourself. Simply run the archive.exe and you'll be good to go. Then you can install the formations of your choice afterwards, with the corrected UI, if one is so inclined.

2) As for changes......
Darth Formations and MC Player Formations remain unchanged.

Sinuhet file has a few minor changes.
Don't recall off hand exactly what I changed. Sinuhet Formations happen to be my preference and the ones I use the most. So I spend a lot of time messing around with them from time to time. My version is different than the one I upload here. As I add a few of my own formations to his code. For the upload here, I try to stick pretty much to his standard code with a few tweaks so as to not get to exotic and scare anyone off with some of my wacky formations. :P
Other changes...

Increased mount collision mass a bit (cavalry only). As I personaly prefer a bit more disparity between the mass of infantry and the mass of cavalry. I like the effect better as it's relative here.

Modified Projectiles a bit.
Noticeable in a visual sense only however. For example, archers who use fire arrows and such. A tad more eye candy during battle, if you will.

Lastly, tweaked movement modifiers a bit more to my liking.

Perhaps these subtle changes will suit others as well. Try them out, after all, if one wants their original EB v1.1 install back, prior to installing anything provided here that is. It's as simple as running the archive.exe provided in the download.

||Lz3||
07-24-2008, 19:48
cool :2thumbsup: but again what happened to darth second version without width forcing? :sweatdrop:

Lysander13
07-24-2008, 20:37
cool :2thumbsup: but again what happened to darth second version without width forcing? :sweatdrop:
Gah! Forgot to answer that one.

I removed it from the download. Frankly, because I just didn't like it. IMO, Darth Formations, relatively speaking, perform better with the width forcing in place than without. Especially considering they were coded and tested with the width forcing being a major characteristic of the formation sets themselves. One can use pure Darth, so to speak, with large settings as well. That isn't a problem. Or conversely use Sinuhet Formations which as I have mentioned happens to be my preference on any unit settings. Or if you still have the DV file from the previous download with the width forcing omitted. You can of course just pop that into your installation and used that if you prefer it.

Woreczko
07-24-2008, 21:27
My apologies to all who may have this problem
No problem mate, the joys of improved AI overshadowed this minor glitch and now I`ve just installed proper tgas :) With alex.exe and Sinuhet formations I`m finally enjoying "general`s camera" view. AI can be trusted to command a part of your army and not botch it terribly.

mcantu
07-27-2008, 14:41
Lysander,

i'm using MC's player formations and #'s 5 and 6 dont seem to be working. I click the icons and nothing happens...

Lysander13
07-28-2008, 14:45
Lysander,

i'm using MC's player formations and #'s 5 and 6 dont seem to be working. I click the icons and nothing happens...
I don't recall off-hand which formations are #'s 5/6 and I'm unable to confirm right now. But does this happen to be the case even if the prerequisite troop classifications are present? I'll have a look at it later on tonight....

Lysander13
07-28-2008, 14:54
**Double Post**

mcantu
07-28-2008, 16:52
I don't recall off-hand which formations are #'s 5/6 and I'm unable to confirm right now. But does this happen to be the case even if the prerequisite troop classifications are present? I'll have a look at it later on tonight....

they're the roman formations...

Lysander13
07-28-2008, 17:50
Are your legions set up in terms of units the way they are shown in MC's readme.txt?

mcantu
07-28-2008, 18:08
i'm using Carthaginian troops. it used to be that the units would move to incorrect positions if i didnt have the right ratio of units. now, nothing at all happens when i click the icons for the Roman formations. The others work though...

Lysander13
07-28-2008, 18:43
i'm using Carthaginian troops. it used to be that the units would move to incorrect positions if i didnt have the right ratio of units. now, nothing at all happens when i click the icons for the Roman formations. The others work though...
Hmmmm...Right now without being able to check it out, my guess would be there is a unit type in your deployment not allowing you access to the formation...ie..like a phalanx capable unit or something?

While your here mcantu... I was wondering if you've seen this thread.....
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=106085

As I recall, your a busy beta tester for several mods, if memory serves me correctly. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what was discussed there. Particularly concerning Sinuhet Formations as it happens TIC uses them as well with pretty much Sinuhet's original code in place. Any thoughts?

V.T. Marvin
07-30-2008, 10:15
I just want to say thank you for this mod, Lysander13 - I have istalled it in mid-campaign and it works just fine (the Darth Vaders´s version). :2thumbsup::bow::2thumbsup:

Just a little suggestion - because a lot of use other mini-mods or are doing some minor changes themselves in various EB files, it would be fair and usefull to indicate (in some readme) exactly what files were changed (if there are any other than descr_formations.txt) and how in order to allow for compatibility with other modifications.:2cents:

QuintusSertorius
07-30-2008, 11:20
Thus far, Sinhuet's formations do appear to be a big improvement on DarthMod and the original EB ones.

johnhughthom
07-30-2008, 18:51
Thus far, Sinhuet's formations do appear to be a big improvement on DarthMod and the original EB ones.

I've just had to reinstall, I think I will give Sinuhet's a whirl this time to see if they are better than Darth's, which I have been using for quite a while and prefer to the EB formations.

mcantu
07-30-2008, 18:58
lysander13,

i'm really liking Sinhuets formations. armies actually stay in formation as they approach. is there any way to get them to not run the whole time as they approach?

||Lz3||
07-30-2008, 20:28
does sinhuet's formations work only with huge sizes? as darth does?

cause I really dont like the thining of the lines when using smaller sizes :sweatdrop:

Lysander13
07-31-2008, 03:25
I just want to say thank you for this mod, Lysander13 - I have istalled it in mid-campaign and it works just fine (the Darth Vaders´s version). :2thumbsup::bow::2thumbsup:

Just a little suggestion - because a lot of use other mini-mods or are doing some minor changes themselves in various EB files, it would be fair and usefull to indicate (in some readme) exactly what files were changed (if there are any other than descr_formations.txt) and how in order to allow for compatibility with other modifications.:2cents:
Your quite welcome V.T. ~:cheers:
As for a readme. I intended to put one in there. In the end, it seems i forgot. If in the future if i happen to add or change something, i'll be sure to include one. :2thumbsup:

Originally Posted by mcantu
lysander13,

i'm really liking Sinhuets formations. armies actually stay in formation as they approach. is there any way to get them to not run the whole time as they approach?
Glad you like them mcantu. Armies keeping formation as they approach is one of the characteristics of Sinuhet Formations that makes them my personal preference. It can actually lead to a surprisingly good coordinated attack from the AI at times. As for a way to stop them from running as they approach...... Unfortunately, not that i'm aware of. When they go into attack mode, as in to say, when the attack formation in the formation set is toggled ( or sometimes it could be attack/defend ). It seems to me the AI tends to run it's units to get into position to launch it's attack. Not all the time mind you, but often enough. When it is not running it's units towards you, rather marching, attack hasn't been toggled yet and it's using the approaching formation and hopefully keeping a good order. IMO, Sinuhet Formations handle's this really well. It isn't always absolutely clear to me when the AI goes from attack/defend to attack but it runs it's units in both. At least this is how it seems to me anyway. In other words, the AI running it's units, isn't controlled by formations calling for it in the code, not directly anyway. In the sense that you can shut it on or off at will with the code. Rather it is directly associated with the formation the AI chooses....ie...defend/attack-defend/attack...and depending on which one the AI chooses....It chooses to run it's units or not....or at least this is how i think it works. :sweatdrop:

Originally Posted by ||Lz3||
does sinhuet's formations work only with huge sizes? as darth does?

cause I really dont like the thining of the lines when using smaller sizes
Sinuhet works just fine with any unit sizes. Width forcing is not used in Sinuhet code. So you will not have the thinning of lines effect. :2thumbsup:

||Lz3||
08-01-2008, 07:08
which files are related to cavalry mass? I'm not sure if I'm liking it a lot ,you'll se I'm an infantry guy and I'm facing parthian armies :smash:

that asides , wow sinhuets are really awesome! so does the new proyectiles appearence... :beam:

may I ask if you did them or you fond them somewhere else? perhaps I could find other interesting stuff there :sweatdrop:

Carlez
08-02-2008, 12:19
i have a bug report, or... sort of.
seems as i'm the only one getting this problem it may be related to my computer, but i'll post it here anyway.

I'm using a clean install of rtw 1.5 with eb 1.1, and i installed the darth and mc formations afterwards.
When i try to start either rome or eb after that, the game passes the initial small red rome splash screen and just before the fullscreen loading screen, the computer crashes with a blue screen of death.

This happens each time i try to start the game after i installed the formations, and continues after i revert using the archived files installer.
I thought it may just be something wrong with my rtw, so i spent an hour reinstalling rome, the patches and EB, after which the game was up and running perfectly again.
But as soon as i reinstalled just the MC formations pack this time, the blue screen crashes reappeared.

help...

Carlez
08-02-2008, 13:11
update on the bug:
seems as the problem is not just occuring with rtw and eb... whenever i try to view a video file, be in bf2 intro, rtw, or vlc player the computer crashes and restarts

Lysander13
08-03-2008, 17:10
Originally Posted by ||Lz3||
which files are related to cavalry mass? I'm not sure if I'm liking it a lot ,you'll se I'm an infantry guy and I'm facing parthian armies :smash:
descr_mount is the file related to the mass of mounted units. If you prefer to revert back, simply copy paste this file from the archive to play with the original cavalry mass settings. Though i would suggest a foe like the Pahlava benefit from having "heavier" mounts.

Beware of the Grivpanvar.......:charge:

that asides , wow sinhuets are really awesome! so does the new proyectiles appearence... :beam:

may I ask if you did them or you fond them somewhere else? perhaps I could find other interesting stuff there :sweatdrop:
After messing around alot with projectile settings (for visual effect only). The majority of the settings are EB's for the most part. I only changed a few and the changed values i settled on are the ones i like from SPQR.

@Carlez
I just downloaded and installed everything with no problems. Used the archive.exe and returned my install to 1.1 status with no problems. Your problem is definately on the user end and has nothing to do with this download especially considering your second post. Perhaps you'd like to post in detail the problems your having here.....
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=132

As your problem sounds like a user end problem and not one that's mod related.

Warmaster Horus
08-03-2008, 19:03
Uh, can someone upload it to another site, since filefront and me don't go well...
And which formation pack do you guys recommend?

Lysander13
08-03-2008, 19:47
Uh, can someone upload it to another site, since filefront and me don't go well...
And which formation pack do you guys recommend?
If you can hold off a bit WH, I'll post another mirror in this thread later on today, first chance I get, for those who may have issues with FileFront for what ever reason. Is there a particular upload site for those who have issues with FileFront prefer?

As for a recomendation: It's a matter of preference really. However, if it's a recommendation you'd like. I recommend you give Sinuhet Formations a try.

Warmaster Horus
08-03-2008, 19:58
Fine, I can wait. As for another site, I don't care. Anything's fine so long as filefront isn't involved.

I'll be sure to try Sinuhet's pack then.

Lysander13
08-03-2008, 22:00
First post updated to reflect another download link added. Presumably for those who have trouble downloading from FileFront. Perhaps this mirror will suffice.

Warmaster Horus
08-03-2008, 23:26
Ah, yep, I can download it. Problem is that my antivirus picks up both a virus and a trojan the second the download is complete...

Lysander13
08-04-2008, 03:10
Ah, yep, I can download it. Problem is that my antivirus picks up both a virus and a trojan the second the download is complete...
Your antivirus is registering a false positive. I assure you i'm not in the business of uploading trojans and viruses under the guise of modified formations for EB to the internet. You wouldn't happen to use AVG would you? Anyhow, as a precaution, i downloaded, scanned, and installed from both links. There both fine.

Warmaster Horus
08-04-2008, 15:22
Okay, fine. I wasn't doubting you at all.

mcantu
08-05-2008, 14:08
lysander13,

did you make any changes to sling stones/bullets? they seem to explode on impact now...

Lysander13
08-05-2008, 20:17
lysander13,

did you make any changes to sling stones/bullets? they seem to explode on impact now...
Yea, I tinkered a bit with projectiles in a visual sense. Really only to suit my tastes however. If you don't happen to like it and would like the original EB settings. All you need do is copy/paste the relevant files from the archive into the EB/data folder. Presuming you'd like to keep the formations and just return this setting to EB's that is. I know you know this mcantu. I mention it for the benefit of others
who may not.

mcantu
08-05-2008, 20:54
i think i'll keep it. i like the other projectile changes. it just confused me a little seeing the sling stones shattering...

Lysander13
08-05-2008, 21:16
Perhaps I should have given it a little more thought in regards to the sling stones. They're actually sling bullets as I recall. Obviously there wasn't a deep though process involved here. I just think it looks cool. :P

Blazing141
08-08-2008, 08:44
Hi all,
I have downloaded this, but before installing just want to confirm this is save-game compatible and also that it is compatible with the Alex.exe.

Thanks!

T

Lysander13
08-08-2008, 14:22
Hi all,
I have downloaded this, but before installing just want to confirm this is save-game compatible and also that it is compatible with the Alex.exe.

Thanks!

T
No worries mate. The answer is yes on both counts.

Intranetusa
08-16-2008, 20:16
Hmmm, so apparently from reading 5 pages of posts, I've come to the conclusion that:

Darth Mod is better for barbarian formations

Sinuhet is better for phalanx formations. It is better overall but has problems with elephants serving as skirmish units instead of heavy cavalry

Dutchhoplite
08-17-2008, 00:03
Can you install two mods and what´s the effect??

:confused:

Intranetusa
08-17-2008, 00:33
Can you install two mods and what´s the effect??

:confused:

I doubt it...I think it'll just override each other - cuz the mods all use the same AI battle formations text document.

Atraphoenix
08-19-2008, 09:03
thank you for this great submod. :smash:

I play mostly my old pal romani because they have best infantry.

also when I bored with them as the best cavalry faction I play Pahlava.

so for romani which mod or formation do you advise ; I am still happy with manipular formation .

for pahlava I find difficult to apply eastern skirmish formation. so same question again and AFAIK elephants is put as skirmish cavalry in the formations.

thanks for you and for all who gave their labour to this wonderful idea. :smash:

Carta
09-06-2008, 15:51
Hi how can I check if the mod has installed properly. I have installed Darth Formations 16.2 for EB to EB1.1
Thanks

Lysander13
09-10-2008, 03:02
Hi how can I check if the mod has installed properly. I have installed Darth Formations 16.2 for EB to EB1.1
Thanks
You can verify installation simply by opening the descr_formations_ai.txt file located in the EB/data folder with notepad. If installed correctly there should be a Darth Formations 16.2 reference along the top of the text file. :2thumbsup:

Demivrgvs
09-18-2008, 21:05
Hi! I've been using Darth's formations till now but seeing how many of you prefer Sinuhet's ones, and considering I play on Large settings (my PC could handle Huge but I think Large scale is better imo) I want to try them out. Anyway I've a few questions:

- Does "DESCR_BATTLE_MAP_MOVEMENT_MODIFIERS.TXT" has any real effect on the AI's performance in battle? Sinuhet's files also change the "battle map movements" but I prefer EB's ones which are slower and more broad-based;

- I've read elephants are used as skirmisher cavalry, does it mean they are not used effectively? Not that I've ever seen the AI use them with great results...

- I was thinking too about raising cavalry mass values, but I would have raised them much less than you did. Do you think that lower bonuses wouldn't be noticeable?

Thanks for your mods anyway, these formations are a huge improvement over vanilla's lame AI, and even much better than EB's one imo.

Lysander13
09-19-2008, 04:34
Originally Posted by Demivrgvs
Hi! I've been using Darth's formations till now but seeing how many of you prefer Sinuhet's ones, and considering I play on Large settings (my PC could handle Huge but I think Large scale is better imo) I want to try them out. Anyway I've a few questions:

Sinuhet Formations work just as well on either large or huge unit settings.

- Does "DESCR_BATTLE_MAP_MOVEMENT_MODIFIERS.TXT" has any real effect on the AI's performance in battle?

That would depend on your definition of the word performance. I increased movement rates for 2 reasons.
1) In vanilla RTW, movement rates were set high as a generality. Really for no other purpose than to mask AI battlefield deficiencies, IMO. Giving the AI what could perhaps be seen as somewhat of an advantage ( albeit small ) of being able to execute orders and be on top of it's opponent very quickly. Player is at a small disadvantage not in terms of tactics of course but in how quickly he can react to the AI's very quick moving force. EB of course slowed the movement rates quite a bit. I chose what i considered to be a happy medium between EB's slower movement settings and vanilla's speed racer settings to suit my own tastes.

The main reason however was....

2) I recall reading something about movement rates quite a ways back. It was from a very reputable RTW Modder as i recall. May have been Darth or Sinuhet, i don't recall exactly. Anyhow, what i read was that reduced movement rates will cause units to fatigue quicker. I decided to test it out back then for myself to formulate my opinion and it does seem that way. Naturally, the remedy to this would be to play with fatigue off since the AI doesn't handle fatigue very well anyway. However, i don't like playing with fatigue off as it just doesn't seem right to me to do so in a realism mod. So i increased movement rates to stave off fatigue just a bit longer.

Sinuhet's files also change the "battle map movements" but I prefer EB's ones which are slower and more broad-based;

By all means then use EB's settings.

- I've read elephants are used as skirmisher cavalry, does it mean they are not used effectively? Not that I've ever seen the AI use them with great results...

Elephants are used in skirmisher blocks within the formations. Not like skirmisher cavalry per say. The original authors of these formations were of the opinion that they were better served being in these skirmisher blocks in terms of effectiveness. I happen to agree. Keep in mind words like "effective" & "performance" are relative terms when referring to the battlefield AI in TW games.

- I was thinking too about raising cavalry mass values, but I would have raised them much less than you did. Do you think that lower bonuses wouldn't be noticeable?

I happen to like the higher cavalry mass values. I've always liked a bit more disparity between the mass of cavalry and infantry. I like the cavalry to be a bit heavier so to speak and have the ability to disrupt and push around the battle lines a bit more. Of course anything i've done here has been to suit my own tastes when playing EB. I never expected everyone to like it nor have i ever claimed it's a better setting than the original EB setting. It's just how i like it is all. As for lower mass settings. Obviously the lower the setting, the less noticeable the push the cavalry achieves. Matter of personal preference i suppose.

Thanks for your mods anyway

Your welcome. Hope i answered some your questions to your satisfaction. Enjoy :2thumbsup:

Demivrgvs
09-19-2008, 07:01
Hope i answered some your questions to your satisfaction.Indeed you have, thanks!

Regarding battle movement and fatigue, I'll try it out...what it seems to me is that fatigue is tied to time instead of space. Thus slower troops will fatigue faster because they take more time to march the same distance.

I'll try a "happy medium" between your mount mass values and EB's ones. :yes:

Poppis
09-26-2008, 12:54
Just started a new campaign as ptolemy and during the first battle, I noticed some weird ass smoke buffs apearing every time a unit got hit with missiles. There were lots of skirmisher units in the battle, but I'm pretty sure it was the Sphendonetai (Hellenic slingers) who caused it. So that every time they hit a unit with their bullets, there were these weird smoke clouds appearing.

One of your earlier posts you mentioned that you had done something to the visual appearence of projecitiles, so I just wanted to know whether this is caused by this mod, or EB(this didn't happen with Accensi in my previous campaigns).

I'm using Darth Formations and Camillan.

Lysander13
09-26-2008, 13:21
One of your earlier posts you mentioned that you had done something to the visual appearence of projecitiles, so I just wanted to know whether this is caused by this mod, or EB(this didn't happen with Accensi in my previous campaigns).

This mod changed changed the visual appearance of projectiles. It isn't EB. In retrospect, for the purposes of this mod, I should have perhaps left projectiles for slingers in their original EB form. Considering the projectile is a sling bullet as I recall. No big deal however if you'd like to keep the formations but use EB's original projectile settings. Just take the projectile files provided in the archive and copy/paste them into your EB data folder.

Poppis
09-26-2008, 13:37
Ok, thanks.

Btw, there was a descr_particle file in the archive too, does that have anything to do with projectiles?

Also, how come I didn't see anything weird with Accensi? Do they use some different animation or something?

Lysander13
09-26-2008, 13:59
Ok, thanks.

Btw, there was a descr_particle file in the archive too, does that have anything to do with projectiles?

Also, how come I didn't see anything weird with Accensi? Do they use some different animation or something?
Yes, to restore the original EB projectile settings, place the particle file in your EB/data as well.

As for the Accensi:
I haven't played EB in a while. So the unit or the projectile it uses escapes me and I'm unable to access the files at the moment to check for you.

Maksimus
11-27-2008, 22:14
hi,

can anyone give me his observation on differences betwean snth and dv ai mods, and what is the story of elephants not charging in snth AI formations. Also, what is more suitable for big battles, I prefer dv's but I cant seem to notice much of a difference, if alxeb is going to pick one, we would like the better one :grin:

Primative1
12-30-2008, 18:43
Is this compatible with 1.2?

Woreczko
12-30-2008, 19:31
Yes, it is, though backuping your files is advisory - it may be difficult to return to EB formations if you do not like new ones. Files oyu should backup are (IIRC) descr_formations.txt, descr_formations_ai.txt, descr_projectile_new.txt, descr_mount.txt, DESCR_BATTLE_MAP_MOVEMENT_MODIFIERS.TXT, descr_particle.txt

Praetor Diego
12-30-2008, 21:10
Hi,

I have a question, witch files are remplaced with this mod?

Praetor Diego
01-03-2009, 12:30
No clue?

Ludens
01-03-2009, 13:05
DESCR_BATTLE_MAP_MOVEMENT_MODIFIERS.TXT
descr_formations_ai.txt
descr_mount.txt
descr_particle.txt
descr_projectile_new.txt

Sinuhet's mod replaces these. IIRC Darth also changes descr_formation.txt.

Celtic_Punk
06-03-2009, 19:47
I can't seem to get a working download link? can someone upload this to a new mirror?
thanks

Leão magno
06-08-2009, 20:50
This thread has grown really big, and it earns this kind of good attention. I suggest that as soon as possible, the first post be edited to explain each formation basics for newbies. As for me, Sinuhet's still rocks! Great use of Elephantes by the way

Slaists
06-09-2009, 23:20
I can't seem to get a working download link? can someone upload this to a new mirror?
thanks

I don't seem to be able to get the downloads work either.

Lysander13
06-10-2009, 12:17
I have not checked in here for awhile. Didn't realize the mirrors were not working. I'm fairly certain I still have the formation files located somewhere back on my home PC. First oppurtunity I have, I'll locate them and put up a new mirror for any who may be interested.

Atraphoenix
06-10-2009, 15:53
I have not checked in here for awhile. Didn't realize the mirrors were not working. I'm fairly certain I still have the formation files located somewhere back on my home PC. First oppurtunity I have, I'll locate them and put up a new mirror for any who may be interested.

you are great, mate.
I had to perform a fresh install again.

Lysander13
06-12-2009, 03:21
Mirror fixed on first page for any who may be interested.

Celtic_Punk
06-12-2009, 04:20
thanks champ

Atraphoenix
06-12-2009, 08:21
Already downloaded it,
thanks mate it is hard to choose,
but many advices sihunet's; which one do you advice?

Lysander13
06-13-2009, 19:55
Already downloaded it,
thanks mate it is hard to choose,
but many advices sihunet's; which one do you advice?
I personally have always preferred Sinuhet Formations.

BTW, what's with the forums here? Why does it show up on my screen in this bland V-Bulletin white and blue layout that i cannot change? Perhaps i've been away too long but what happened to the old layout and the ability to switch?

Atraphoenix
06-14-2009, 11:45
I personally have always preferred Sinuhet Formations.

BTW, what's with the forums here? Why does it show up on my screen in this bland V-Bulletin white and blue layout that i cannot change? Perhaps i've been away too long but what happened to the old layout and the ability to switch?

thanks mate for advice:beam:

the org collapsed twice in the last 30 days so they are making some different coding methinks. maybe they are still working to make it more stable..

Satyros
06-18-2009, 05:30
Hello

I have recently installed this mini mod wihich incorporates a version of sihunet's formations https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=105242 . I play with alex engine .

It seems however that the hoplites under the control of the A.I. no longer fight as a tightly packed solid unit but spread out upon contact .

I don't like that a bit .

Is this caused by the formations files ? By something else ?

What can I do to remedy the ( perceived by me as a ) problem ?

I will download the file and try to restore the original EB formations and take it from there , but any suggestions are surely welcome .

And by the way , thank you for your contribution to the mod , and for perhaps taking the time to read and answer this .

Satyros

Atraphoenix
06-18-2009, 10:18
try phalanx mod , I have installed this mod on LZ3's minimod pack that includes phalanx mod as optional.
and to see aı hoplites in a one line is stunning.:2thumbsup:
also try on alex AI will encircle you and you will see a very much difference.
hoplites are better than phalanx in AI formations.

Satyros
06-18-2009, 13:08
I may have expressed this incorrectly , I was talking about a unit of hoplites rather than a whole army formation.

The unit of hoplites doesn't behave well , this is the problem I would like to solve , I believe from what little I know that the A.I. doesn't use the "guard" button on the hoplite units which causes the problem , but not being an expert on this stuff I'd like a " pro " to comment on this .

I hope that I am not wrong in that the "Vanilla" EB hoplites behave as wanted , because in that case I'll look rather stupid . Heh .

Thanks for answering , sorry for not being clear in my previous post .

Satyros

tls5669
07-13-2009, 01:47
So just install one of them?

chenkai11
07-14-2009, 10:44
Is it intended for EB1.2? The 1st post says intended for EB1.1, or may be no difference?

Ludens
07-14-2009, 15:53
They work perfectly well with EB1.2. Formation mods are largely independent from most other game files.

Clye
10-05-2009, 11:48
what files exactly does this modify? export_descr_unit.txt?

Ludens
10-05-2009, 17:26
No, only the two formation txt files (descr_formation.txt and descr_ai_formation.txt if my memory serves me correctly).

Skoran
11-28-2009, 19:40
3 questions

1) Is this also for 1.2?
2) Is this save-game compatible?
3) Which of the 3 do you people recommend?

Ludens
11-29-2009, 17:37
1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) I think Sinuhet's works slightly better than Darth's but that is subjective. Chose either: the difference is small at best.

Skoran
11-29-2009, 23:04
My EB is installed in:
C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\EB

So that means I have to point the installer to that location?

Ludens
11-30-2009, 11:50
I don't know. What I do is point the installer to an empty folder, and then copy the installed files to the corresponding EB folders.

Lysander13
12-02-2009, 05:18
My EB is installed in:
C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\EB

So that means I have to point the installer to that location?
No it does not.

The installer is structured to install to the root directory of your EB installation. Which in your case would be.....

C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War

If you pointed the installer to the target line in the qoute; you would have a second EB folder within the actual EB mod folder. Which of course would not do. Point the installer to the above root directory and you'll be fine......or of course you can manually install as Ludens suggested. Either way will work just fine.

Shippo Fox
12-05-2009, 01:01
Hey, guys!

I just downloaded this mod to use the "Sinuhet 7.0 AI Battle Formations for EB", and saw that there are five files.

DESCR_BATTLE_MAP_MOVEMENT_MODIFIERS.TXT
descr_formations_ai.txt
descr_mount.txt
descr_particle.txt
and
descr_projectile_new.txt

I know that the first one is not needed, the second one is needed, but I don't know about the last three.

Do I need the particle, projectile_new, and mount files?

I only want the AI changes, no gameplay changes.

Thanks in advance! :beam:

Lysander13
12-05-2009, 02:03
All you would need is the descr_formations_ai.txt file.

Shippo Fox
12-05-2009, 15:59
All you would need is the descr_formations_ai.txt file.

Thanks! I tried it out and it works great.

AI Beat me in a battle, killed over one thousand of my men, including my general, in another battle, and is overall much more difficult. So far I'm loving this mod! :smiley2:

jerby
07-17-2010, 09:18
Hi All,

I'm using EB (with alex) and started using Darth's mod. I love the fact the AI keeps a line!
But my problem is that one Large unit size everything is soo stretched. Is there anything I can change? Or should I just put my unitsize on Huge? (don't now how my comp handles that)

AstroCat
10-13-2010, 12:39
I'm using this mod which is included with the EB MINI MOD PACK. It does not seem to include the player formations part. Is it recommended that I add this as well? Thanks!

EDIT: Upon looking at the files it seems that a different player formations was implemented. So perhaps I am good to go after all, unless someone recommends the MC one?

QuintusSertorius
10-13-2010, 16:11
I think I used these before, wondering if I should download for 1.2 since the AI seems terrible at holding a line. I think last time I used these they were slightly better at it.

I_damian
07-28-2011, 23:40
Can somebody give me better installation instructions for these mods? I don't understand what a root directory is at all, and I'm no noob at modding, I've been using them for about 10 years. I didn't understand how to install the mod, so I unpacked Darth's mod to my desktop (rather than to the root directory) and from there I cut/pasted the files in to RTW/EB/Data and clicked yes to overwrite all. Would this install the mods correctly?

I've done this with both mods. (darth and sinu)

I ask because I'm having such horrible, awful, terrible results with both mods that I fully believe I've installed them wrong. When the AI is defending against me they can hold a formation, sure, but when I am defending against them, when they are attacking, they use their troops in the most stupid, ridiculous and frustrating ways imaginable. So someone let me know if the way I installed them would be right.

TheStranger
09-22-2011, 15:26
Could anyone provide a working download link? Can't find the formations for EB anywhere else.

Would be great :)

jirisys
09-23-2011, 16:54
Could anyone provide a working download link? Can't find the formations for EB anywhere else.

Would be great :)

First post?

I think I have all of them.

~Jirisys ()

TheStranger
09-23-2011, 17:05
As I said the download link isn't working anymore. Would be great if you could upload it :)

jirisys
09-24-2011, 01:56
http://filefactory.com/file/ced8482/n/AI_Battle_Formation_Mods.zip

~Jirisys ()

TheStranger
09-24-2011, 09:01
Thank you :balloon2:

Newstone
11-09-2011, 22:11
http://filefactory.com/file/ced8482/n/AI_Battle_Formation_Mods.zip

~Jirisys ()

Dosnt work for me the page just shows other programs to download, cant find the down load link for the mod.

jirisys
11-10-2011, 03:19
Dosnt work for me the page just shows other programs to download, cant find the down load link for the mod.

Go to the bottom of the page, and select "Slow Download"

~Jirisys ()

danio43us67
01-09-2012, 14:26
I have a question. I downloaded the file and installed all three mods - first Darth, then MC and then Sinuhet. Will i get the benefits of all three, or just one or two? (I've seen a difference btw so something is working, but I don't know what). And lastly, if you can't install all three which ones do you recommend? If someone explained what each does that would be cool. Thanks in advance.

Ludens
01-09-2012, 16:23
Hello Danio, welcome to the .Org and to EB ~:wave: .

I am afraid you cannot combine the benefits of multiple mods in this way: they simply overwrite one another's files. It's been a while since I last installed formation mods, but my guess is you are now using MC's player formations and Sinuhet's A.I. formations (unless Sinuhet also included a player formation file in his mod, in which case you are using that as well).

Sinuhet and Darth improve A.I. battlefield tactics by tuning the field formations the A.I. uses (they may also have fiddled with the player formations). MC simply changed the pre-set formations the player can use. I don't recall there being a big difference between Sinuhet's and Darth's formations. Both made the A.I. a bit smarter on the battlefield, but that's it.

danio43us67
01-11-2012, 16:14
Alright thanks for the reply, I wasn't actually expecting one - RTW doesn't seem too popular nowadays. If what you say is true, then I'm using Darth and MC (I reinstalled). Very cool mods. And thanks for the reply

Shokifer
11-01-2012, 13:52
Link ain't working, I'm afraid.

Ddaulet
05-10-2013, 03:01
ohhhhhhhhhh my god tthe browser crashes to desktop every time I click "slow download".

Vlad-Tudor
07-23-2013, 00:25
ohhhhhhhhhh my god tthe browser crashes to desktop every time I click "slow download".

You just need when downloading to un-tick the option to use their download manager as it seems like the antivirus is detecting it as mallware. If you do so it will work.