PDA

View Full Version : Questions

Patriote
08-21-2007, 22:19
After having several bugs with my EB installation (mainly because of me:sweatdrop:) I reinstalled everything.

I now have EB 0.81aV2 with the following mods and fixes:

- City Mod
- Darth AI Formation
- FIrst Cohort Mod
- AI Balancing-Mod
- Elephant Fix
as well as using RTW-BI.exe

I play the game on H/H with the general camera view but with unrestricted view.

So far, my romani campaign is wonderful (even my crushing defeat where I lost 4000 men and 2 family members trying to assault Syracuse was really "something")

However, a few things have happened, although not necesseraly bad things, mostly thing I have not never seen before:

- For those you played M2TW, you will remember the white "targets" that are used to show the player the rebel cities he should conquer to expande his kingdoms. This is shown the first time you start a game with a faction, when the advisor is talking to you. I have the same thing in my campaign, a lot of town are surrounded by those same "targets" Are they supposed to be there? And if yes, why are they there? is it to show me my faction objectives?

- I am around year B.C. 230 and I still don't have the polybian reform, IIRC there are requirements about cities except Roma growing or building something specefic. Does it have anything to do with the Citymod ? :inquisitive:

- Also, is it only because I am playing on Hard setting for Campaign diffilculty but some of the rebel cities are, from time to time, moving a part of their troops outside the settlement. After my disastrous defeat againt Syracuse, they kept a large portion of their troops outside the city and I was able to defeat them in a pitched battle. Also, I saw a large stack of gallic troops leaving Bononia, moving around the country near the city to finally go back to the town a couple of turn later. I think this is great but does that mean rebel towns at VH in Campaign difficulty would actually attack factions with their troops ?

- Finally, like I said at the beginning, I am using Darth mod. The mod is great since your army is deployed automatically at the beginning of each battle. My point is that the AI seems to misplace some units, unless I am the one misusing them. He seems to always place javelin-armed troops behing the hastati/princeps and triarii lines but use slingers and archers in front to act as screening troops. Is there anyways to make modifications about that ?

Anyways, thanks for any help. EB and all thus mini-mods are fantastic :beam:

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
08-21-2007, 23:12
After having several bugs with my EB installation (mainly because of me:sweatdrop:) I reinstalled everything.

I now have EB 0.81aV2 with the following mods and fixes:

- City Mod
- Darth AI Formation
- FIrst Cohort Mod
- AI Balancing-Mod
- Elephant Fix
as well as using RTW-BI.exe

I play the game on H/H with the general camera view but with unrestricted view.

So far, my romani campaign is wonderful (even my crushing defeat where I lost 4000 men and 2 family members trying to assault Syracuse was really "something")

However, a few things have happened, although not necesseraly bad things, mostly thing I have not never seen before:

- For those you played M2TW, you will remember the white "targets" that are used to show the player the rebel cities he should conquer to expande his kingdoms. This is shown the first time you start a game with a faction, when the advisor is talking to you. I have the same thing in my campaign, a lot of town are surrounded by those same "targets" Are they supposed to be there? And if yes, why are they there? is it to show me my faction objectives?
You probably hit the help button at some point. This will make all of the provinces you need to take to get your win conditions have white square around them. To get it to go away, open your faction scroll and hit the help button once or twice.

- I am around year B.C. 230 and I still don't have the polybian reform, IIRC there are requirements about cities except Roma growing or building something specefic. Does it have anything to do with the Citymod ? :inquisitive:
You are thinking of the Vanilla Marian Reforms. In EB they only give you new (mediocre) boats, as the Romans. To get the Polybian Reforms, you just need to own Cisalpine Gallia and Sicilia, and be at least 242 (250 for the city mod, but I'm assuming you installed the AI Balancing mod on top of the city mod, making all reforms go back to original EB settings). Remember to activate the script ever time you load a savegame.

- Also, is it only because I am playing on Hard setting for Campaign diffilculty but some of the rebel cities are, from time to time, moving a part of their troops outside the settlement. After my disastrous defeat againt Syracuse, they kept a large portion of their troops outside the city and I was able to defeat them in a pitched battle. Also, I saw a large stack of gallic troops leaving Bononia, moving around the country near the city to finally go back to the town a couple of turn later. I think this is great but does that mean rebel towns at VH in Campaign difficulty would actually attack factions with their troops ?
In about 230BC, all of the AI generals will start dying and the rebels will start wandering from their cities. This weakens the 'rebels' considerable and is the cause of AI expansion explosions around this time. This is really annoying and is just AI hardcoding. The team is working on ways to prevent rebel wandering in the future for certain areas.

- Finally, like I said at the beginning, I am using Darth mod. The mod is great since your army is deployed automatically at the beginning of each battle. My point is that the AI seems to misplace some units, unless I am the one misusing them. He seems to always place javelin-armed troops behing the hastati/princeps and triarii lines but use slingers and archers in front to act as screening troops. Is there anyways to make modifications about that ?

Anyways, thanks for any help. EB and all thus mini-mods are fantastic :beam:
Due to AI confusion over the 'skirmisher' tag, all types of formations can be confused. Darth mod is designed so that 'missile' units go out in front, but since EB labels Peltastai, etc as 'skirmisher' Darth mod treats them as 'infantry'. Since the 'skirmisher' group doesn't seem to be programed 100% correctly (even for EB formations), they will be 'missile' in the next EB release.

mcantu
08-21-2007, 23:54
Due to AI confusion over the 'skirmisher' tag, all types of formations can be confused. Darth mod is designed so that 'missile' units go out in front, but since EB labels Peltastai, etc as 'skirmisher' Darth mod treats them as 'infantry'. Since the 'skirmisher' group doesn't seem to be programed 100% correctly (even for EB formations), they will be 'missile' in the next EB release.

I'm really glad that I was finally able to contribute something to EB (at least I think i was the one that noticed that first) :2thumbsup:

That change also greatly reduces the AI spamming skirmishers and results in more balanced AI armies...

Patriote
08-23-2007, 22:37
Thanks for all your answers !

But you are right, when the rebels start wondering around, taking their cities became a lot easier. I guess the spanning of new rebels general is not possible :inquisitive: