PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly More Empire Info at .com

Jack Lusted
08-22-2007, 17:14
More info in the Empire section at the Total War website, including more info on features, new screenshots, and a mention of the ai.

http://www.totalwar.com/

Swoosh So
08-22-2007, 17:26
Well i have to say bringing back a compeditive ladder is a very positive step

"A brand new multiplayer component will include player rankings, leagues and ladders and completely new gameplay modes."

Jack Lusted
08-22-2007, 17:37
We made the multiplayer fedback thread at .com for a reason.

icek
08-22-2007, 17:46
Nothing new for those that read the interview from other threat

Husar
08-22-2007, 17:49
Not bad, but I'd be more impressed by some high-res screenshots and maybe some high-res trailers. ~;) Some tiny screenshots tend to look better than big shots, especially when it comes to texture and model quality.
I don't really doubt the game looks good, but I want to see it myself.

Concerning gameplay, I hope it will be similar to what we have and I'm looking forward to seeing how sea battles are controlled. I wonder whether an engagement on the sea will result in a tactical sea battle and a boarding battle will then be played as a seperate battle again. Would make sense since otherwise you might lose your whole fleet playing the boarding battle, or maybe boarding is done automatically?

SaFe
08-22-2007, 18:27
Not sure i understood this corrctly.
Let me quote from the totalwar.com:

The game will include 10 playable factions including Britain, Prussia, France, Spain, America and the massive Ottoman Empire.

Only 10 factions???
Hopefully i'm mistaken here.

Randarkmaan
08-22-2007, 18:36
10 playable fations, and 'cause the map will be very large, it said 3 continents (By that I hope you mean Eurasia, America and Africa, and not just Europe, Asia and America), there will probably be a lot of unplayable factions (I'm guessing mostly European factions will be the playable ones, so unplayable factions will probably be some African nations and Asian nations, and some Native Americans might be good, like the Iroquouis confederacy or Sioux nation). I also think that when it comes to converting this game to represent different periods it will be one of the best, seeing as how the inclusion of most of the world will bring about the inclusion of bows (in Asia, Africa and America), armour values (armour was still used by the Europeans at the start of the period I think, though Asian nations continued to use armour into the 19th century), swords (Asia and Africa), Spears (Asia and Africa), Elephants (Mughuls), you name it.

Monarch
08-22-2007, 19:26
We made the multiplayer fedback thread at .com for a reason.

:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup:

Furious Mental
08-23-2007, 03:04
To be honest I can only think of ten European states from the period large enough to compete on a reasonably equal basis- Britain, France, Spain, Portugal, Prussia, Poland, Austria, Russia, Ottoman Empire, Sweden.

Ignoramus
08-23-2007, 03:48
You forgot the Dutch.

NodachiSam
08-23-2007, 17:30
Thats true, the dutch carved out themselves a multicontinental empire too.

icek
08-23-2007, 19:52
And i can assure you (talking to CA) that you can see another polish petition about your another briliant creation of prussia having poland inside. And when it comes to that list not austria but austria-hungary.

Lusted
08-23-2007, 20:40
And i can assure you (talking to CA) that you can see another polish petition about your another briliant creation of prussia having poland inside

That's reporter error rather than correct representation of the game
Prussia-Brandenburg and Poland-Lithuania are separate factions

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/sreply/257138/t/What-s-with-Poland-.html

Slaists
08-23-2007, 22:36
well, on a minimalistic scale, so did the Belgians

Thats true, the dutch carved out themselves a multicontinental empire too.

Trax
08-24-2007, 12:43
And when it comes to that list not austria but austria-hungary.

The Austrian Empire transformed into the Dual Monarchy of Austria-Hungary in 1867.

icek
08-24-2007, 13:03
The Austrian Empire transformed into the Dual Monarchy of Austria-Hungary in 1867.right, poland was ripped apart in three stages still by austria only in game's campaign period.

zerathule
08-27-2007, 11:14
well, on a minimalistic scale, so did the Belgians
Belgium was independant from the Netherlands in 1830, so not in the game i guess.

Geoffrey S
08-27-2007, 11:53
No, there was no such thing as Belgium the state until 1830. In the time of the game, provinces in the area would initially be owned by the Habsburgs of Austria; later on they were conquered by revolutionary France.

Tellos Athenaios
08-27-2007, 12:15
You forgot the Dutch.

No he didn't; as far as the time period is concerned. Only after 1870 did this Dutch 'Empire' start to take shape.

EDIT: Gah, the area wasn't even called Belgium during the time frame.

Geoffrey S
08-27-2007, 12:38
True; but if that definition of 'Empire' is used, none of the factions in this game would have one. Those kind only really arose in the nineteenth century, excepting Imperial France and the Habsburg Empire (in that sense, a curious title for the game). The Dutch United Provinces did however already have many colonies on Indonesia and in South America, as other possible factions had them in North America, India and on the coasts of Africa. They were also very important in world trade.

Besides, the United Provinces were at the start of the game a very rich, influential power, though at that time the decline was starting due to increased competition from other powers which the small Republic simply couldn't stand up to, which would eventually lead to their conquest by revolutionary France (although, surrender without a fight is probably closer). They'd be an excellent what-if faction, and their importance at the start of the game means I'd be surprised if they weren't included.

zerathule
08-27-2007, 13:20
The same discussion was going on on twcenter forums :)
In my opinion, while it would be foolish not to include the united provinces as one of the 50 factions, i think it shouldnt be one of the 10 playable.
They werent a continental power, they were really dependant on GB for their survival in europe (military speaking).
Look at the 6 named factions, look for 4 factions to be included, i dont think the united provinces could come on top of these.
Russia and Austria should be on the top priority to be one of the 10 playable factions, even if like prussia they were not naval powers, but truely had an empire at that time.
I hope we'll see 2 "exotic" factions as the last spots :)

christof139
08-27-2007, 18:03
No he didn't; as far as the time period is concerned. Only after 1870 did this Dutch 'Empire' start to take shape.

EDIT: Gah, the area wasn't even called Belgium during the time frame.

Ever hear of New Amsterdam that became New York City, and how about Rip van Winkle??

The Dutch were in what is now New York State in the 1600's I do believe, not to mention the Dutch Carribean, the Antilles methinks, and Dutch Guiana.

Chris