PDA

View Full Version : Empire: Total War Screenshot Thread

Vuk
08-23-2007, 01:55
I thought it would be a good idea to create a single thread for all the screen shots to be posted in so that everyone can easily see all that there is to see. Please use this thread to post links to any new pics that come out. Please try not to post doubles.

Vuk

Ignoramus
08-23-2007, 03:46
Here's some form .com.

http://www.totalwar.com/asset_library/Screenshots/ETW_announce_01.jpg
http://www.totalwar.com/asset_library/Screenshots/ETW_ANNOUNCE_03NEW.jpg
http://www.totalwar.com/asset_library/Screenshots/ETW_announce_05.jpg
http://www.totalwar.com/asset_library/Screenshots/ETW_announce_06.jpg
http://www.totalwar.com/asset_library/Screenshots/ETW_announce_07.jpg

Rhyfelwyr
08-23-2007, 13:52
Having seen those screenshots, it makes me wonder how someone can make a thread saying the graphics look poor. They look amazing.

NodachiSam
08-23-2007, 17:32
Am I the only one who considers screenshots about the campaign map just as interesting if not a little more so than screens of battle? I've always enjoyed building empires not just killing hoards of enemies, though that obviously is a good portion of the fun.

Proletariat
08-23-2007, 21:53
I agree totally, NodachiSam. Sometimes when I'm bored I'll just rampantly autoresolve through a short campaign trying different building and taxing schemes. Have you seen any campaign map shots yet? I'd like to see it as well, but haven't stumbled across any yet.

Alexander the Pretty Good
08-23-2007, 22:29
And this landlubber wants to see the bloody infantry in action. :book:

Tamur
08-24-2007, 16:34
Are there any campaign map screens anywhere? I'm very curious about the mentioned revisions that (apparently) show buildings on the campaign map itself. If this is true, I'm curious to know if they've integrated those locations into gameplay.

Since the RTW campaign map changes I've been hoping for an infinite zoom, like Black & White or the forever-being-developed Spore. They've still likely separated the campaign map and battle map, but LESS separation would be wonderful.

Vuk
08-24-2007, 17:14
I disagree. That would be very unrealistic. Right now the battlemaps are supposed to be small areas sampling terrain from the area. If you were to make it seamless, the scale would be absurd. At the distance from the earth that you view of the campaign map, the earths crust would look about as thin as a nickle. If you could zoom all the way in, there could only be two very absurd possibilities: 1. The entire earth in full scale would need to be created (The reasons this wouldn't work are apparent), or 2. They would need to pull and AoE and have the different continents tiny.
If this is what they intend to do, I don't think I will be buying the game. I think the idea would be a total leap from realism that would really pollute the Total War series.

Vuk

Nelson
08-24-2007, 17:51
And this landlubber wants to see the bloody infantry in action. :book:

Me too!

I have long thought that TW as we know it could work all the way through to the advent of massed rifled weapons. This ought to be the end of the line, timeline-wise that is.

pevergreen
08-25-2007, 00:21
Screenies are up in the summary thread as well :tongue:

To my knowledge, no Campaign map screenies have been released.

IsItStillThere
08-25-2007, 00:48
A lot of the released screenies have focused on naval battles...I SO hope CA follows through instead of deciding to punt once more.

Land battles become a little less complicated in this era (armies have become more standardized) but well-done naval battles would more than make up for it:2thumbsup:

Hoplite7
08-25-2007, 02:13
Having seen those screenshots, it makes me wonder how someone can make a thread saying the graphics look poor.

Because they do look poor, someone from CA even said they aren't finished shots.

pevergreen
08-25-2007, 04:44
They are beta shots. They look incredible for beta shots.

Not everything can be Crysis :wink:

sapi
08-26-2007, 14:06
Squint really hard and you can make something out here:

http://www.gamestar.de/imgserver/bdb/1509300/1509371/original_B35470DDC64B4522023ED12C7C05ABAC.jpg

(taken from the official mag website here (http://www.gamestar.de/magazin/heft/thumbnails/) - it's legit, though any higher res wouldn't be ~;))

TB666
08-26-2007, 14:28
The campaign map looks interesting I must say, from what I can see atleast.
Also, is that a throne room ??

ninjahboy
08-26-2007, 14:40
wow - taht screen shot of them men in melee looks abosolutely fantasticaly amazing! and this is still in beta! me cant wait :D

trickydicky
08-26-2007, 15:10
Nice find sapi, that looks really sweet. :2thumbsup:

americancaesar
08-27-2007, 11:36
Also, is that a throne room ??

Is it! If so, If so, I would be quite happy. I always enjoyed the throne room in STW. Meeting diplomats, talking with the old adviser, looking at the map. Perhaps CA decided to bing this option back for Empire?

NagatsukaShumi
08-27-2007, 12:32
Fantastic find sapi, can't really make alot out or maybe its just me, hopefully it will see an English mag soon.

methoz
08-27-2007, 12:58
too small foto from magazine? map is very small :(

The Wizard
08-27-2007, 13:11
I have long thought that TW as we know it could work all the way through to the advent of massed rifled weapons. This ought to be the end of the line, timeline-wise that is.

Indeed. I mean, how fun are the battles still going to be, what with two opposing lines simply standing around and blasting away at each other (to charge the image, so to say)? Unless cavalry is put into the equasion to the level it was used by, say, Frederick the Great or Bonaparte, I don't quite see much potential for excitement on land anymore (save, perhaps, for the occasional bayonet charge and maneuver warfare like the Prussians did at Rossbach). Methinks most of the fun to be had will be seen at sea.

ninjahboy
08-27-2007, 13:28
wait, i think i can make somethign abotu australia out!

Belgolas
09-01-2007, 02:22
Is it! If so, If so, I would be quite happy. I always enjoyed the throne room in STW. Meeting diplomats, talking with the old adviser, looking at the map. Perhaps CA decided to bing this option back for Empire?

Yes, the leap from AGP to PCIexpress is a painful one for the upgrader:
New mobo, new CPU, new RAM (DDR2), new graphics card = might as well buy a new PC altogether
It is confirmed that diplomats, spies, assassins will not be on the campaign map. So I guess that is how it is done. I want that magazine :(.

Warluster
09-02-2007, 06:45

WhooHoo! I can already see Aussie as a emerging faction....:idea2: Either that or I have got a Mod Idea!

Furious Mental
09-02-2007, 06:50
Australia as an emerging faction? Seriously wtf? Didn't even become an independent country until 1901.

Warluster
09-02-2007, 06:53
But as a colony, 1788. Sure it was sort of controlled by GB, but it is stilll playable.

Furious Mental
09-02-2007, 06:59
It wasn't "sort of" controlled by Great Britain. It was part of Great Britain. Colonial Governors and assemblies had a limited discretion as to how to manage colonies but they couldn't do anything which an independent country can, like formulate foreign policy and declare war. In fact even 38 years after Australia became independent Pig Iron Bob still considered that whether or not it was at war was still determined by Westminster and Number 10 Downing Street. Aside from that the colonies were all separate from each other; not only was there no independent Australian government until 1901, there was no Australian government before 1901 at all. Total independence really wasn't achieved until the passing of the Australia Acts in the 1980's.

pevergreen
09-02-2007, 07:31
:laugh4:

You are talking to Australians about Australian history.

Furious Mental
09-02-2007, 07:54
I am an Australian. I live in Perth.

pevergreen
09-02-2007, 08:07
There you go.

Incongruous
09-02-2007, 09:55
I hope they keep if not increase the size and detail of the areas. If Austria is a three province faction, Ill be sad.

ninjahboy
09-02-2007, 14:11
isnt the game about colonisation? Australia will be like a colony i guess! QLD will feature if we want to use it as an invasion platform for indonesia! :P

Monarch
09-02-2007, 15:35
Indeed. I mean, how fun are the battles still going to be, what with two opposing lines simply standing around and blasting away at each other

Ye and MTW/RTW is just about lining them up and slashing at each other...I also used to share the same blinkered view, but then I played the Napoleonic Total War mod...

Noir
09-02-2007, 18:24
Tactics mattered a lot as well as changing formations during the battle (in game terms that is control). The main way to win was by flanking and envellopment so most of the action (as in mp) was happening at the flanks often. Cavalry would play the vital roles of harrasing the flanks and key "weak" artillery units as well as having to perform charges on depelted and weavering lines and flank charges to advancing units.

The problem is not the absence of tactics in the period chosen, the problem is how the engine and AI will cope. Napoleonic Total War 1 SP is a very well done, but extremely easy mod, because the AI cannot realy cope with this sort of warfare since his shooters are on skirmish mode while the player's are on hold formation and position often. The same was true for STW and SWs at the periods wereguns are introduced the player consistently can outperform the AI due to this inherent weakness. On the other hand NTW 1 was popular for mp as NTW 2 that was made for mp only and STW is considered by many the most balanced gameplay for mp.

These things mean that there is plenty of potential in this sort of gameplay, but that the AI as we know it so far, can't really make it happen in the SP game.

All TW engines and AI's so far were having as their Achile's heel shooters; so going on to make a new game with also another completey new component (naval battles), on a new engine (more development time) and without having shown signs of TW AI being able to handle shooters correctly, in a period were shooters dominate is a very very big risk as i pointed out in the "Happy with the decision made" thread.

CA consistently bites more than it can chew and although SP players are satisfied as long as there are good visuals, flavor and variety, you can see how low gameplay has fallen in TW in the mp game and in the levels of participation. CA has good ideas but the implementation is often rushed and incomplete.

RTW & M2TW feel like "just about lining them up and slashing at each other" as Monarch says because the units and gameplay are unbalanced and rushings are the main way to go; it could be done much differently.

Noir

Big King Sanctaphrax
09-03-2007, 01:02
That looks more like the House of Commons than a throne room to me. I find the former interpretation far more exciting.

Celt Centurion
09-05-2007, 03:30
I am an Australian. I live in Perth.

I tried for 22 years to get to Australia while in the Air Force. Closest I got was Southeast Asia.

My sons enlist in the Navy and Marine Corps, and are both there in less than a year!

Go figure!

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Rodion Romanovich
09-05-2007, 15:41
I hope they keep if not increase the size and detail of the areas. If Asustria is a three province faction, Ill be sad.
Seconded! I'm hoping for a map with >255 province limit, possibly with say 300 in the vanilla game and 500 in some mods ~:)

Thing is, if they lift the 255 limit, the next logical limit, programming wise, is 65535 :tongue:

Now, obviously it won't be fun to play 200 sieges in an average campaign either. Perhaps if garrisons would automatically surrender if certain conditions are fulfilled, such as:
- total size of remaining field army forces of the faction are way smaller than the forces the player has near or inside the territories of this faction AND
- the besieged garrison has odds worse than around 8:1 AND
- some diplomatical conditions relating to his previous treatment of prisoners of war and what promises he gives to the surrendering garrison.

Azi Tohak
09-06-2007, 09:09
I agree totally, NodachiSam. Sometimes when I'm bored I'll just rampantly autoresolve through a short campaign trying different building and taxing schemes. Have you seen any campaign map shots yet? I'd like to see it as well, but haven't stumbled across any yet.

Me three! The battles will always look nice, but the closeups are useless since I don't run battles in from the max-zoom setting. The campaign map is what I find the most interesting (e.g. with M2TW).

Azi

RoadKill
09-12-2007, 01:50

That is not cool you have the same Avatar as me..... Anyway this game is looking pretty sick.