PDA

View Full Version : Slingers a bit overpowered?

Intranetusa
08-23-2007, 21:20
Playing as KH, on average my hellenic slingers (cheap levy slingers that cost 110 to maintain) kills 50% more enemies than my elite cretan archers...

Also, I can be shooting at a phalanx from the rear with my cretans, with no effect. Yet my hellenic slingers can shoot them from the front or sides and do way more damage than my archers...

perhaps slingers are a bit overpowered? Especially since most of the game's slingers have more range than most basic level archers.

mcantu
08-23-2007, 21:28
They have the armor piercing attribute which reduces a targets armor rating by half...

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
08-23-2007, 21:56
This issue has been addressed many times. It is even in the FAQ. :faq:
Long story short, they will not be drastically changed, though they will work slightly different in the next version.

Intranetusa
08-23-2007, 22:19
^ yes, I know they have AP...it's annoying to see 1 volley of rocks from levy slingers kill more enemies than a volley of pilla from the elite gastarnes...

Yeh, I've just read the FAQ...I'm playing against Macedonians and Seleucid and they seem to have 4-5 units of slingers in each army. And that doesn't exactly prevent the players from spamming slingers. lol

still, strange that peasant levy slingers > elite cretans >_<

Patriote
08-23-2007, 23:00
I don't understand why slingers would have the AP ability and not archers (maybe archers should have it). Most projectiles used by slingers were round stones and the lethality of those weapons was more because of the energy of the flying stone hitting its target (percussive force and all) than any penetration potential.

A sharp arrow would have a lot more chance to pierce shields and armors than a round stone unless the stone was thrown at an extraordinary speed (which I doubt would be possible using a sling although I could be wrong) but the stone could still hurt individuals wearing padded, leather or quilted clothes and armours because of the shock of the impact.

Anyways, just some logical thoughts about slingers :2thumbsup:

Intranetusa
08-30-2007, 21:38
it's funny too see my levy slingers kill more men from a volley of rocks than my gastarne with their javelin volleys