PDA

View Full Version : Kingdoms MP

Swoosh So
08-31-2007, 17:16
Anyone tried kingdoms MP yet?, if so please give your impressions here.

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
08-31-2007, 18:30
Mixed Reactions I seen. Haven't played it yet myself, wait till it's cheaper.

Lavos
08-31-2007, 19:10
Played a single game so I can’t say much about balance and gameplay, but one thing is already confusing. For each of four campaigns you get different shortcut and if you’re in lobby and are in Americas ‘mod’ and you want to join someone who hosted ‘crusades’ you must get out of the game and lunch crusades.
This could be very confusing for new players and annoying for everyone else.

Jochi Khan
08-31-2007, 22:30
Different shortcuts all for one game???? What a dumb idea.

Judge
09-01-2007, 04:07
yep its tru i have just installed it and you get 4 new icons on your desktop.

1. Crusade
2. Teutonic
3. Britannia
4. Americas

and also 5. mtw2

:jawdrop: :horn:

:turkey: :england:

TosaInu
09-01-2007, 10:55
Different shortcuts all for one game???? What a dumb idea.

Hello Jochi,

That may seem odd at first, but there are some benefits too. One of them is the selective installer, that's neat in case you don't have a big HD and only want to try one campaign.

The structure of M2TW is also a spacesaver for total conversions. With MTW you had to make a dedicated copy of everything, now you have only one install and plug in mods. Several games use such a structure. The game is several GB, so this really saves space.

Hopefully the next move is two really different exes: a SP and MP one. Another step is an ingame exe/mod selector in whichever exe/shortcut you start, so you can quickly swap from mod/game/mod to mode/game/mode. Soldiers of FortuneII does that, UT has the ingame mod/mutator selector. That should save time and desktop space.

TosaInu
09-01-2007, 11:02
yep its tru i have just installed it and you get 4 new icons on your desktop.

1. Crusade
2. Teutonic
3. Britannia
4. Americas

and also 5. mtw2

:jawdrop: :horn:

:turkey: :england:

Hello Judge,

There are some ways to clean your desktop a bit if you want that. You could of course, move them all to the startmenu and thus delete them all from your desk. You could also simply make a M2TW folder on your desktop and move all shortcuts there.

I guess we'll also see some exe/shortcut managers soon. That would be a program that scans a folder for exe/shortcuts and puts them all in a list. The user just has to start the manager and make a choice. The manager launches the right exe and terminates itself. A launcher so to say (would require as many clicks as an ingame choice, only 1 extra, and keeps the desktop tidy).

cas9480
09-01-2007, 12:18
Greetings to All

Can someone tell me whether hotseat multiplayer for the original grand campaign works on their machines?

My understanding is that it should work in the same way as it does for the four new campaigns, yet when I run the original MTW2 the option isn't available.

Then it gets complicated (to me anyway).

I looked at the game folder and noticed a new application "kingdoms.exe". Ah! I thought, the launcher is pointing me to the wrong exe file, which is why the new hotseat mode isn't available. So, I tried launncing kingdoms, and was told I had the wrong disk. I changed discs and was still told I had the wrong disk.

I have tried this on two PCs with the same results.

It may be just a hangover speaking, and I'm missing the patently obvious, but can someone help please?

Thanks

Carl

cas9480
09-01-2007, 12:30
Anyone tried kingdoms MP yet?, if so please give your impressions here.

In reply, I've been playing the Lands to Conquer hotseat mod for some time, and we find it a lot of fun despite automatic resolution of battles. It's like the old board game diplomacy, which I played many moons ago as a student.

The guys who produced the LTC mod are to be congratulated, because in my opinion it's a great piece of work.

The new Kingdoms expansion hotseat is very similar to the mod, so I assume they collaborated?

Lusted
09-01-2007, 12:33
The new hotseat mode only appears in Kingdoms.

As for the hotseat included in LTC, that is done by changing some settings in the preference file to activate the hotseat mode that is in M2TW, but hidden. I have not made the mode myself, it is CA's work.

cas9480
09-01-2007, 12:51
Lusted

Well, LTC is still a good piece of work that I've enjoyed immensely.

Not to belabour a point to CA though, on page 4 of the Kingdoms manual it says "hotseat mode is available in the Grand Campaign and the new Kingdoms campaigns".

But as you've confirmed, it apparently isn't. Any idea why?

Lavos
09-01-2007, 13:05
Hello Jochi,

That may seem odd at first, but there are some benefits too. One of them is the selective installer, that's neat in case you don't have a big HD and only want to try one campaign.

The structure of M2TW is also a spacesaver for total conversions. With MTW you had to make a dedicated copy of everything, now you have only one install and plug in mods. Several games use such a structure. The game is several GB, so this really saves space.

Hopefully the next move is two really different exes: a SP and MP one. Another step is an ingame exe/mod selector in whichever exe/shortcut you start, so you can quickly swap from mod/game/mod to mode/game/mode. Soldiers of FortuneII does that, UT has the ingame mod/mutator selector. That should save time and desktop space.

Sorry, the problem is not that you have a lot of shortcuts on screen, but that you need to exit mp lobby every single time you want to join some other game. Then, there is also a new bug with login now, you must type g.spy username, email and password each time you want to get into lobby. This logging out and in could be serious problem since there already aren’t much people playing m2tw online and further separating players could only discourage people from playing it.

Anyway, I played a little more and I can't say I'm impressed. They didn’t fix lag, but that was expected from this game engine. For me the problem is that it all looks a lot like couple of mod’s, not a proper expansion. Crusades, for instance, have two ‘real’ new factions (Antioch, Jeruzalem), both with new units, rest is recycled (same stats, graphic) from original m2tw with couple of new units for some factions. It’s exactly the same thing for Teutonic campaign where Teutons and Latvia are new, and rest are clones. British campaign is as 'interesting' as the one in Vikings invasion was. For me the best made is the American one, but five factions with horses and rest in pajamas could be a problem. Again, those are only first impressions, I hope someone will sum it up for good, since I really don’t have time and patience with lag and logins to try it myself. That way I can know if its worth checking it in couple of weeks. ~;)

TosaInu
09-01-2007, 13:39
Sorry, the problem is not that you have a lot of shortcuts on screen, but that you need to exit mp lobby every single time you want to join some other game. Then, there is also a new bug with login now, you must type g.spy username, email and password each time you want to get into lobby. This logging out and in could be serious problem since there already aren’t much people playing m2tw online and further separating players could only discourage people from playing it.

Hello,

:( I agree with that. The dynamics in MP are even higher and you should be able to quickly change any option while logged in. The last part of post #6 should be quickly patched in.

Kingdoms doesn't remember the Gamespy details?

Lavos
09-01-2007, 14:33
Yea, separate exe for mp would be great. I would be happy even with one extra mp mod for this version, even if others existing kingdoms campaigns wouldn't have mp.

RTKBarrett
09-01-2007, 17:01
Why hasnt the compatability patch for medi 2 players come out yet?!? I had alot of competative games planned for this weekend and now that has been scrapped. Thanks yet again for the inefficiency CA

Sun of Chersonesos
09-01-2007, 17:20
Ok, so the 4 icons thing is annoying, but for the first kingdoms patch I'm not going to wish for the icons to be gone, but that there's a quicker way to exchange the game your currently on in order to join your mates game without other idiots spamming and crashing it first.

Jochi Khan
09-01-2007, 17:34
Lavos[/B]"]Sorry, the problem is not that you have a lot of shortcuts on screen, but that you need to exit mp lobby every single time you want to join some other game. Then, there is also a new bug with login now, you must type g.spy username, email and password each time you want to get into lobby. This logging out and in could be serious problem since there already aren’t much people playing m2tw online and further separating players could only discourage people from playing it.

What a mess. This is putting me off buying 'Kingdoms'

t1master
09-04-2007, 01:01
so are there now separate lobbies for each campaign in mp? or is it still a common lobby for the camps and the main game? :dizzy2:

AggonyDuck
09-04-2007, 14:54
There are essentially five incompatible games that share the same lobby. :wall:

t1master
09-04-2007, 16:01
:laugh4:

and the lag is the same as the origina m2?

AggonyDuck
09-04-2007, 18:38
The lag is only a problem if one of the players ingame doesn't have the proper hardware to run the game.

Wolf_Kyolic
09-04-2007, 18:39
Sorry, the problem is not that you have a lot of shortcuts on screen, but that you need to exit mp lobby every single time you want to join some other game. Then, there is also a new bug with login now, you must type g.spy username, email and password each time you want to get into lobby. This logging out and in could be serious problem since there already aren’t much people playing m2tw online and further separating players could only discourage people from playing it

Don't worry. They will patch it. Before Christmas. lol

Orda Khan
09-04-2007, 21:00
Too many issues with Kingdoms, I won't be touching it

....Orda

Jesus`
09-06-2007, 04:15
The thing is it would be a tight game online if you could use Teutonic factions vs Brittania's etc, Kingdoms doesn't have a future for MP unless they patch it, I'm disappointed...

09-07-2007, 15:15
What a mess. This is putting me off buying 'Kingdoms'

when you can buy it for 10-15 dollars, that when I will buy it. I argee with it being a mess, and I didn't even play it.

Wolf_Kyolic
09-08-2007, 01:35
I argee with it being a mess, and I didn't even play it.

lol

Swoosh So
09-08-2007, 14:42
Well the SP game is fantastic! and the battles feel right even v the ai, so im looking forward to trying it mp, i dont care about the exe files or any of that the crusades campaign alone is worth £20 Single player and offers alot of different faction types to use in Multi. Most likely online players will play the most balanced era anyway.

okeenan
09-10-2007, 10:44
~:cheers: Ok in favour...

You can play Kingdoms factions against Vanilla factions if you select all as your era.

Balance appears to be much better and playing "all" is not as bad as it sounds.

Plus it is not as historically inaccurate as one might think. Archers were widely used way into the gunpowder era and one could argue continued to be superior for quite some time.

Playing in campaign mode I end up keeping and reinforcing "obselete" units way after they "should" be around. Simply cos they are better.

I don't think it is that historically innacurate for a general/ruler to train or maintain an old style of unit that suits a particular role on the battlefield.

It is important to note that, in Kingdoms, Gunpowder is way less overpowered as is Cav.

I would argue that "all" actually allows a lot more factions to become worthy of online play than era play does. More choice is good. I also noticed that some tighter unit restrictions appear to be present in "all." As if to make it a looser Late era.
:idea2:

Finally I may be wrong here but wasn't another Vanilla patch released at the same time as Kingdoms so we can still all play Vanilla.

Mars
09-18-2007, 11:45
There isnt anything what wasnt expected. Lag wasnt fixed, this was known before.

What we shouldnt do is, to mix SP with MP aspects. In the first place im interested in MP, else i would choose another forum and post there.

For SP its maybe very nice.

If u look at it right now, there are like always some problems with a new "patch" addon. 2 Step forward 1 Step back.

Anyway, as long the lag is around and doesnt get fixed, im not gonna pay this game and im not playing it.

Mars

09-18-2007, 15:00
There isnt anything what wasnt expected. Lag wasnt fixed, this was known before.

What we shouldnt do is, to mix SP with MP aspects. In the first place im interested in MP, else i would choose another forum and post there.

For SP its maybe very nice.

If u look at it right now, there are like always some problems with a new "patch" addon. 2 Step forward 1 Step back.

Anyway, as long the lag is around and doesnt get fixed, im not gonna pay this game and im not playing it.

Mars

they won't patch it for awhile.

.... So Koc, you play BF2? :laugh4:

Puzz3D
09-18-2007, 15:05
I'm glad that I didn't take the advice of the people on this forum who suggested that I buy M2TW. CA designed a battle engine that's inferior to the one they already had, and designed it in such a way that multiplayer can't work well.

Wolf_Kyolic
09-18-2007, 17:39
CA designed a battle engine that's inferior to the one they already had, and designed it in such a way that multiplayer can't work well.

Gah! Features man features. Just new features. No inferiority. ~:)

Puzz3D
09-27-2007, 23:47
Gah! Features man features. Just new features. No inferiority. ~:)
The new engine has FEWER tactical features than the old STW/MTW engine.

CBR
09-27-2007, 23:53
The finishing move feature beats everything.

CBR

Puzz3D
09-27-2007, 23:55
The finishing move for the Total War series.

09-28-2007, 01:36
The finishing move for the Total War series.

Amen to the Lord Puzz!

But Sersiouly, you will see me on Samurai Warlords Beta 5 Every SUnday having actual fun until they fix MP in the other games

Whacker
09-28-2007, 01:39
Come on Puzz and CBR, how can you say that this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpNCqBoGFPk) is inferior to those old and busted 2D games!??!? /sarcasm

Move 10 is the best by far

Puzz3D
09-28-2007, 02:24
But Sersiouly, you will see me on Samurai Warlords Beta 5 Every SUnday having actual fun until they fix MP in the other games
What's wrong with you Warman. According to some people around here, you're supposed to be able to have fun with whatever you're handed. There are no standards and there is no truth. If you bought the game and didn't like it, tough. Just go away and stop spoiling people's fun. It doesn't matter that you're fun was spoiled. It's your own fault for not realizing that the game was going to lag and be imbalanced. You should have known that the company doesn't have the resources to make the game any better even though they somehow did when they were a smaller company. It seems that size breeds inefficiency, and you get to pay for it.

Togakure
09-28-2007, 02:56
Don't forget the incredible lack of support once they have your money. Two friends bought Gold months ago, and to this day haven't gotten a response (after many inquiries to various potential sources of support) from Sega or CA about why they are getting invalid CD key messages when trying to log in to the MP foyer.

People who are undecided about whether to purchase the new games or not should know about these things.

09-28-2007, 13:37
What's wrong with you Warman. According to some people around here, you're supposed to be able to have fun with whatever you're handed. There are no standards and there is no truth. If you bought the game and didn't like it, tough. Just go away and stop spoiling people's fun. It doesn't matter that you're fun was spoiled. It's your own fault for not realizing that the game was going to lag and be imbalanced. You should have known that the company doesn't have the resources to make the game any better even though they somehow did when they were a smaller company. It seems that size breeds inefficiency, and you get to pay for it.

Yea I know, and MT2W was the last time I brought a TW game. I didn't even buy Kingdoms. One reason I'm broke, but still, I would have brought it for collection (I do collect all TW game you know), but only from a used copy from Amazon or ebay :yes:

I asked for help with Tech help at CA with TW a long time ago, and my first time, NO Responce, 2nd, some lady answered, but she didn't help, 3rd time (different ploblem), NO responce. No money from me is going to CA.

Wolf_Kyolic
09-29-2007, 09:47
The new engine has FEWER tactical features than the old STW/MTW engine.

Ah!!! Can you warcry in stw? Or can you go berserk? You do not even have the elephants there man! These are what I call REAL tactics. :saint:

|Heerbann|_Di3Hard
09-29-2007, 11:12
Ah!!! Can you warcry in stw? Or can you go berserk? You do not even have the elephants there man! These are what I call REAL tactics. :saint:

Sounds good :laugh4:

Don't forget, every friday is MTW VI revival day. Atm there are only few online. But it is more fun to play with 10 vets :laugh4: VI than these mtw2

sry for OT

09-30-2007, 00:28

And playing on Warman's8 Death Field!! :yes: