PDA

View Full Version : Teutonic Campaign: Poland

frogbeastegg
09-03-2007, 15:13
This topic is for the Polish faction in Kingdoms expansion's Teutonic campaign. This faction needs to be unlocked before it can be played.

marrow
10-01-2007, 21:16
Not much to say about the campaign itself - it's damn easy, get those Order castles to the north + Konigsberg and steadily mop up the western part of the map, pope ain't present in the game so you can take care of the Germans whenever you feel like it.

The trouble is you don't have to wait at all! Honestly, you can be on the roll for the duration and blitz the whole map in no time. That's because you have some real angry, snarling dogs tugging at the leash there.

Seriously, this is the first time since I played as the Takeda in STW that cavalry seemed the only reasonably way to go. Never bothered with infantry (apart from siege engines), instead I was building full cavalry stacks from the start and boy, is it fun! Polish Nobles, supported by Strzelcy with armour upgrade, will tear anybody, anybody to bloody chunks before you know it. And if you consistently build roads, you can be anywhere within 5 turns.

To be fair, I reckon SEGA overdid it a little, playing as Danes, Novgorod and Teutonic Order I watched with growing resignation as Polish leviathan invariably rolls westwards. A bit like the Almohads in vanilla MTW - you can bet your house they will knock on your door at some stage, no matter who you play as.

The good part is that it's wicked fun, if you like a bit of cheeky play with HA you will be amazed at just how solid basic Polish units are. Strzelcy have AP missile/melee attack (x-bows/axes) and if given some armour they become some of the best light cavalry I have ever seen, closing on the enemy crossbows blazing, causing serious havoc. Polish Nobles can beat Mailed Knights hand to hand (!!!) except they don't have to, they can whittle a unit of MK to half their strength just running around, before charging and routing them immediately. Make no mistake, that's on H/H!

All I can say is take it easy with winning - if you want to see your cities develop to the full you have to exercise some restraint or you'll find that no one can effectively stop you and that you'll have won the game with just those two units in your roster. A bit sad, really.

I'm gonna play M2TW campaign as the Poles just for a laugh I reckon, I want to see how long it takes to take the world!

kitbogha
06-26-2008, 14:26
I agree with Marrow, the campaign is straightforward and fun.
1) Take on the enemy on as many fronts as you like, I went for the Teutonic Order first-prototype Nazis-and having a bit of a soft spot for those pagan Lithunanians allied with them. They have yet to betray my trust (turn 137). I am currently fighting the Danes and Novgorod having taken out the other factions. The Lithuanians have some big armies prowling the countryside but I am saving them for the endgame.
2) Keep centres of technological brilliance in the centre of your empire and the right cities/castles balance and Bobs your uncle (in my case he really is).
3) keep a small widely distrubuted network of assassins and priests to take care of heretics and other religions priests who can effect the happiness of your people.
4) You can field some dream armies but no-one else can really match you so there are no really tricky battles after the early game.
I am enjoying this game but if you want more of a challenge play as Lithuania and don't go Catholic when you get the offer.

Cangrande
11-29-2008, 21:05
So, how do you unlock factions then?

Seamus Fermanagh
11-30-2008, 07:03
Factions are typically unlocked by:

a) successful completion of one campaign with one of the factions already available

or

b) modifying the files o fthe game itself to move locked factions into the unlocked category.

kingman
03-26-2009, 21:49
The good part is that it's wicked fun, if you like a bit of cheeky play with HA you will be amazed at just how solid basic Polish units are. Strzelcy have AP missile/melee attack (x-bows/axes) and if given some armour they become some of the best light cavalry I have ever seen, closing on the enemy crossbows blazing, causing serious havoc. Polish Nobles can beat Mailed Knights hand to hand (!!!) except they don't have to, they can whittle a unit of MK to half their strength just running around, before charging and routing them immediately. Make no mistake, that's on H/H!