PDA

View Full Version : Civil wars?

O'ETAIPOS
09-21-2007, 13:15
As I see CA members appearing quite often on this thread I decided to ask question bothering me from some time.

Will there be civil wars possible? They were included in old Medieval 1 but then dropped from both RTW and MTW2. They were one of the coolest features in MTW campmap, with real brakeup of a kingdom, and especially as you was able to choose side you want to lead. I know there were shadow factions in BI but it was "happines based" rebelion and "one place" only, while it should sometimes be "faction wide" and be based on faction leader abilities, like authority, skill etc. and actions. Also problems like to many pretenders to throne, or lack of proper one could be taken into account.

Two other questions:
Is it possible to make units dismountable, again like in Medieval 1?
Can the ability to choose faction leader be back? Or make the game choose son of the king, not just some random family member.

LegioScythia
09-21-2007, 13:33
Civil wars were probably one the features in MTW that should have been included in the sequels, plus Civil wars and rebellions were pretty common in the era E:TW takes place.

Rodion Romanovich
09-21-2007, 13:40
Yes please please please do this! Or at least make dragoons purposeful by giving them movement points like cavalry on the strat map while they fight as infantry on the campaign map! Would be a shame if dragoons - one of the most interesting troop types of the time - would be modeled incorrectly!

Galapagos
09-21-2007, 13:58
As I see CA members appearing quite often on this thread I decided to ask question bothering me from some time.

Will there be civil wars possible? They were included in old Medieval 1 but then dropped from both RTW and MTW2. They were one of the coolest features in MTW campmap, with real brakeup of a kingdom, and especially as you was able to choose side you want to lead. I know there were shadow factions in BI but it was "happines based" rebelion and "one place" only, while it should sometimes be "faction wide" and be based on faction leader abilities, like authority, skill etc. and actions. Also problems like to many pretenders to throne, or lack of proper one could be taken into account.

Two other questions:
Can the ability to choose faction leader be back? Or make the game choose son of the king, not just some random family member.
Very good idea.....:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Freedom Onanist
09-21-2007, 15:09

Can't see how Dragoons are going to work otherwise? Though others shouldn't get the ability.

paladinwarir
10-05-2007, 16:31
Yes, i did like that, it was really fun
even though that never happened to me too often.........

Copperknickers
10-06-2007, 10:54
they(CA) have confirmed the jacobite rebellion at any rate.:scotland:

Furious Mental
10-06-2007, 20:32
Really it should be possible to dismount anything, but only dragoons would be much good on foot.

Zarky
10-07-2007, 18:17
I think MTW1 shouldn´t have had ability to choose faction heir since it was always kings oldest son, unless he had unexpected death.
In Rome it was differen´t since Rome wasn´t Medieval monarchy.

lars573
10-08-2007, 16:15
Yes please please please do this! Or at least make dragoons purposeful by giving them movement points like cavalry on the strat map while they fight as infantry on the campaign map! Would be a shame if dragoons - one of the most interesting troop types of the time - would be modeled incorrectly!
Actually having none dismounting dragoons would more accurate. The heyday of riding to battle and fighting on foot dragoons was the 17th century. You'd have been hard pressed to find a dragoon unit that fought on foot any amount of time in the 18th century.

Furious Mental
10-09-2007, 13:12
Who cares? It should be the player's prerogative to tell their cavalry to dismount if it will be tactically useful, e.g. to go and capture an important building on the battlefield before enemy infantry get it. I don't need amateur historians telling me that I can't order my cavalry to get off their ponies and use their guns if it is useful, which it still was in some situations. After all, the reason cavalry only occasionally fought on foot was that it was generally a silly way to use them, but that is no reason to deny the discretion to the player where such occasion arises- surely if we wanted fewer options, less discretion, and generally more basic battles we would be playing Age of Empires. And on top of that, if it we can't dismount cavalry in battle then that pretty much sends possibilities for mounted infantry in mods in the 17th and 19th century (i.e. like pretty much every cavalry unit in the American Civil War) right down the crapper, don't it?

TosaInu
10-09-2007, 13:52
I agree that the player should be able to make choices, whether they work or not (right now nothing prevents the player to counter mounted knights with peasants). That is good.