PDA

View Full Version : SEA BATTLE FEATURES

Ozzman1O1
09-27-2007, 00:47
What are we going to 'sea' in this new naval battle feature?

Sheogorath
09-27-2007, 01:29
My bets are on a polished version of the Imperial Glory navy battles.
I hope to god they at least include better controls, and the ability to form a basic line of battle.
Probably not though. Like I said, a shiny version of IG's navy battles, only WITH OMG REALISTIC DAMAGE AND D00DZ ON DECK 2 KIL AN STUF LOLOL!

Ozzman1O1
09-28-2007, 23:51
I hope that maybe enemys can fall off the ship and maybe,maybe,just a little,that sea animals might make some apperance,like seeing wales jump in the background,and walking the plank after the battle:juggle2:

Bootsiuv
09-29-2007, 00:29
The new pc gamer says it will be pretty complex....you'll be able to target certain parts of ships, including men, with different kinds of ammunition, you'll have the option of boarding, and the damage system is realistic.

It didn't mention much about a realistic sailing system, but I'm assuming something akin to pirates, where wind is important, but you simply use buttons/mouse to steer the ship around. Maybe a full sail, reefed sail feature, but it doesn't say one way or the other.

Sheogorath
09-29-2007, 02:13
They said Bioshock was gonna have all kinds of stuff too...look how that turned out.
'Targetting specific parts of ships' most likely means the standard 'Chain shot, round shot or grapeshot' options that have been around since Sea Dogs, maybe even before. Nothing new. Was in Imperial Glory.

lancelot
09-29-2007, 13:13
Nothing new. Was in Imperial Glory.

Indeed- in fact Im going to predict that it will be very similar to Imperial Glory. Perhaps the differences will be cosmetic like a few men running around on decks. I cant really think of much else they can do...

Or perhaps other minor things like Character traits for the admirals etc etc

Ozzman1O1
09-29-2007, 13:19
true but imperial glory only has like 80 men in each battle,its like battle for middle earth,bad graphics and it looks cool but when you play it its kind of a bummer:no:

Zenicetus
09-29-2007, 17:49
Indeed- in fact Im going to predict that it will be very similar to Imperial Glory. Perhaps the differences will be cosmetic like a few men running around on decks. I cant really think of much else they can do...

Somewhere in one of these threads, I think I remember a CA rep saying there will be a realistic wind model, so you'll have to use real sailing tactics. Line-of-battle formation should be supported for fleets too, IIRC.

Also, CA already has a decent 3D engine for melee combat, so we might see some interesting boarding actions... things like marines sniping from the mast platforms as a ship draws in range, then grappling hooks, and finally the marines and crew swarming over to the other ship for a good old-fashioned cutlass brawl. :pirate2:

I wouldn't want to see the game tilted too heavily towards a Disney-esque aarrrr-pirates!! mode, but a few boarding actions here and there, amid mostly longer range fleet combat tactics, could be fun.

Ozzman1O1
09-29-2007, 22:03
will diffrent unit's guns make a diffrence since a musket was the only kind of gun?

Sheogorath
09-30-2007, 03:03

Or perhaps other minor things like Character traits for the admirals etc etc
IG had guys running around on deck. They didnt react to anything though, and they vanished immidiatly when the ship took lethal damage.
I imagine they'll do something neat with guys getting blown up and stuff. That'll be all, I bet.
IG had a 'realistic wind model' too. It was an arrow that pointed in some random direction and had some vauge influence on how fast your ships moved.
Eh, call my cynical, but I take everything game companies promise with a grain of salt. Or two.

Ozzman1O1
09-30-2007, 13:01
you just cant answer the questions above your post can you?!:shame:

Master of Puppets
09-30-2007, 13:29
you just cant answer the questions above your post can you?!:shame:

lol

lancelot
10-01-2007, 16:52
Eh, call my cynical, but I take everything game companies promise with a grain of salt. Or two.

When it comes to CA- I do too.

Ozzman1O1
10-01-2007, 20:37
They said Bioshock was gonna have all kinds of stuff too...look how that turned out.
'Targetting specific parts of ships' most likely means the standard 'Chain shot, round shot or grapeshot' options that have been around since Sea Dogs, maybe even before. Nothing new. Was in Imperial Glory.
i think bugjuice will be in the game,when the cannon fires more than one shots,and sword combat will be more usefule for up close encounters:book: :shame: :skull:

Fate
10-03-2007, 03:43
will diffrent unit's guns make a diffrence since a musket was the only kind of gun?

Well, no, because there were different kinds of weapons used in naval melee and armed combat.

There are obvious melee weapons like axes, boarding pikes, and cutlesses etc.

Then there were pistols, rifled and smoothbore.

Obviously muskets, snipers armed with rifles, and much more impressively, the volley gun.

The volley gun was a weapon that fired 8 pistol rounds in unison, designed to be used by sharpshooters in the rigging to fire on the crowded decks of an enemy ship before boarding. The main problems behind the volley guy was the excrutiating amount of time it would take to reload it, and the fact that the kick was so horrendous that it could break a man's shoulder. Thus it could only really be used by built chaps.

And there was also a cannon round similar to grapeshot, but that was designed to be fired from the deck at the opposing enemy gate during boarding. Pretty much a one shot weapon, but effective non-the-less.

Grenades were also occasionally used, though there was always a frequent danger that they would blow off the users hand. Or arm. Could be used from the rigging to the enemy deck before boarding, thrown from deck to deck before boarding, or thrown from one cannon porthole to an enemy one during boarding, taking it large portions of the gun crew.

A good book to read for entertaining information about the brutality of navy combat is Sharpe's Trafalgar.

Quality read.

Ozzman1O1
10-03-2007, 20:32
i hope it has pirates ARRRRRHHHH

Sheogorath
10-04-2007, 02:58
i hope it has pirates ARRRRRHHHH
You mean like MTW2's UBAR PIRATES?

Ozzman1O1
10-04-2007, 20:51
dont pLAY MTW2,ROME FOREVER