PDA

View Full Version : The Curse of Fenric - Small Mafia Game [Concluded]

Omanes Alexandrapolites
09-27-2007, 17:20
1822, in a small farming village outside of Liverpool in England. The village has recently been invaded by a great conciousness, Fenric, who has possessed an innocent villager, transforming him into a hideous beast. The town must destroy one of the two to prevent their utter destruction at the hands of this spiritual force.

Roles (12)
Villagers (8)
The Beast (1)
The Great Conciousness (1)
Assorted Pro-Villager Roles (2)

The villagers, as you may expect, are this game's version of a townie. With no special abilities, all they can do is vote daily to help lynch a suspect. They gain a victory if either the beast or the conciousness is dead.

The Beast doesn't know who he is - he gains a villager PM just like a normal player. He only wins, along with the town, if the conciousness is killed.

The Great Conciousness knows who he is, and knows who the beast is. He gains one kill per night and he loses if either he or the Beast is killed. Players may be able to detect the conciousness if he is overly protective of a certain player (his Beast).

The assorted pro-villager roles, and their abilities, will be kept secret to the end of the game.

Standard game rules apply - no screenshots and no quoting of role PMs.

Note: This game contains new ideas which have not yet undergone any testing - due to this, you may find a few problems with the set-up. If you have any suggestions or complaints please inform me.

This game is currently in the sign-up phase - feel free to join by posting within the thread. I will start when I have twelve eager players ready to begin.

Currently In (12/12)
Warmaster Horus
shlin28
FactionHeir
Kommodus
Ichigo
Stig
Brave_Sir Robin
Haudegen
Waldinger
CountArach
Zain
RoadKill

Sign-ups are now closed and the game is in play. gibson and Garci' missed out - sorry!

Warmaster Horus
09-27-2007, 17:26
Eager player 1!

shlin28
09-27-2007, 17:40
IN!

Caius
09-27-2007, 18:10
:inquisitive:

FactionHeir
09-27-2007, 18:33
:yes:

Kommodus
09-27-2007, 19:12
Sure, I'd like to try another mini-game. In! :2thumbsup:

Csargo
09-27-2007, 19:16
:soapbox:

Stig
09-27-2007, 19:25
~:cheers:

Tratorix
09-27-2007, 19:41
in :bow:

Haudegen
09-27-2007, 19:43
Very interesting rules. In.

woad&fangs
09-27-2007, 21:41
~:flirt: In.

CountArach
09-27-2007, 21:54
Eeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnn!

Zain
09-27-2007, 22:07
I shall join

RoadKill
09-27-2007, 23:12
Inage.

pevergreen
09-28-2007, 00:54
Methinks roadkill misses out.

gibsonsg91921
09-28-2007, 01:07
in!

pevergreen
09-28-2007, 01:07
Methinks roadkill misses out.
Roadkill was number 13. this is a 12 player.

:furious3:

RoadKill
09-28-2007, 03:36
Mother -----

This is the third time.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
09-28-2007, 08:31
Sign-ups will be formulated and processed later - I haven't quite got the time at this moment.

Csargo
09-28-2007, 12:32
Since Caius never confirmed Roadkill was the 12th player

Zain
09-28-2007, 12:57
Yes, I agree. If this were a petition, I'd sign it.

:deal2:

:stupido:

pevergreen
09-28-2007, 14:30
Since Caius never confirmed Roadkill was the 12th player
caius was in.

everyone else posts a smiley. so does he.

Zain
09-28-2007, 15:16
Certain smileys work for signing up for mafias, like :bow:, but :inquisitive: is... questioning.

Stig
09-28-2007, 16:20
Vote: Zain
Because I feel like it

Omanes Alexandrapolites
09-28-2007, 16:38
Sign-ups are now closed. Sorry, but gibson and Garci' missed out. Role PMs will be released soon. Thankyou for both your patience and your joining.

FactionHeir
09-28-2007, 18:03
Vote: Stig

Because you are so eager to lynch someone before PMs were even sent out,

Omanes Alexandrapolites
09-28-2007, 18:18
Night I
Night I begins! Could all players with roles please send me the full details of your actions. This night will end in approximately 24hrs from now (18:00 GMT).

Zain
09-28-2007, 22:27
Guys... chill, voting on small games is scary enough without having to deal with enemies.

Actually... fighting gives us someone to vote out... keep going! :2thumbsup:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
09-29-2007, 16:49
Night I Conclusion
The voice of the Consciousness spoke, and the Beast obeyed his command…

FactionHeir exited his home and began to stroll through the village. He had felt disconnected from the rest of the town, and had decided to go on a solitary walk through the growth outside of the town.

It was dusk and the sun was setting in the West. His thoughts and path continued to drift off from the usual, although he had never been one for following the same routes.

Through his hazy thoughts he overheard a rustle in the bushes outside of the village. He had heard of the Beast but didn’t really believe the stories. He looked to the East for the village lights, but he realized he had strayed too far. He looked back and a large black silhouette was standing in the bushes in front of the sun.

The Beast grabbed the paralyzed FactionHeir and ran a sword-like finger across his neck gently, playfully. Then it shoved it up through his jaw and into his brain. He died almost instantly.

Alive (11)
Warmaster Horus
shlin28
Kommodus
Ichigo
Stig
Brave_Sir Robin
Haudegen
Waldinger
CountArach
Zain
RoadKill

Killed (1)
FactionHeir (N1)

Lynched (0)

Day I begins. Lynch votes must be in by around about 18:00 (GMT) tomorrow. Good luck to both teams!

Csargo
09-29-2007, 17:17
Vote:Warmaster

I saw you eating a spicey meatball. How do you explain this?

woad&fangs
09-29-2007, 17:23
vote: kommodus If I was the consience I probably would have chose you to be the beast.

Kommodus
09-29-2007, 17:41
vote: kommodus If I was the consience I probably would have chose you to be the beast.

Well, for all I know this might be true. But I don't see what advantage there would be in choosing me. He's going to want to pick someone he thinks won't get lynched. It's true that I've been surviving quite long in recent games because of Holmes, but that doesn't really apply here - if I get lynched and the game doesn't end, you know I was neither the consciousness nor the beast, so I'm vindicated.

Meanwhile I will:

Vote: Haudegen

Just a friendly nudge, really. Hey man! Jump on in, introduce yourself, and tell us, um, what's your favorite flavor of ice cream? :beam:

Warmaster Horus
09-29-2007, 17:57
I ate meatballs yesterday, but I don't like spice. I can say the chef made a mistake.

Oh! Sorry, you wanted something relating to mafia... What is the relation between spicey meatballs and quiltyness? Because there isn't for me.

Vote:Kommo; third to sign up.

RoadKill
09-29-2007, 18:51
bannnddwwaaaggooooonnn

Vote: Kommo

Warmaster Horus
09-29-2007, 18:55
Unvote:Kommo, Vote:Roadkill

Third on the bandwagon, of course! :yes:

FactionHeir
09-29-2007, 19:52
FoS: Count Arach
Killing me is revenge for me foiling your plan in the secret formula.

I'm dead, but I can still post ~:p

Haudegen
09-29-2007, 20:39
Vote: Haudegen

Just a friendly nudge, really. Hey man! Jump on in, introduce yourself, and tell us, um, what's your favorite flavor of ice cream? :beam:

Thank you :beam:

Well, I actually like stracciatella and generally all sorts that contain a healthy amount of chocolate. :balloon2:

This is the third mafia game I joined. I consider myself still a newbie. That´s why I probably won´t be one of the biggest contributors, but I check the thread several times per day.

Stig
09-29-2007, 20:51
Vote: Roadkill
Come now, don't be so stupid. If your town Kommo is a great advantage to your side, a wise mafia will kill him sooner or later anyway. So if Kommo isn't death late game he's either mafia, or the mafia have been unwise in leaving him alive (because his Holmes is helping them).

shlin28
09-29-2007, 21:00
Vote Ichigo

I do not get your reasoning :embarassed:

Csargo
09-29-2007, 22:03
Read the FAQ

shlin28
09-29-2007, 22:39
Oops... still gonna keep the vote though, someone got to vote for you :sweatdrop:

Zain
09-30-2007, 01:43
Before the game even started Stig voted for me, and FactionHeir voted for Stig because Stig "jumped the gun".

FactionHeir is dead, so...

Csargo
09-30-2007, 02:10
Unvote: Warmaster, Vote:Zain

So, you killed FactionHeir to frame Stig?

CountArach
09-30-2007, 02:21
FoS: Count Arach
Killing me is revenge for me foiling your plan in the secret formula.

I'm dead, but I can still post ~:p
Yes that is why I killed you... I mean... I am going to be so WIFOMed for that comment.

But yeah
Vote: Waldinger - You may not be aware but Kommodus is useful unless we lynch him, in which case we cannot know if he is a townie.

woad&fangs
09-30-2007, 02:28
Exactly why the conscionsness would have chosen him as the beast. Also, once Kommodus had 3 votes on him Warmaster unvoted Kommodus. Perhaps he was protecting his fluffy beasty from the bandwagon?

Tratorix
09-30-2007, 03:30
Vote: Roadkill for being third on the bandwagon :laugh4:

(And yes, i'm aware this puts me third on Roadkill's bandwagon.)

Zain
09-30-2007, 03:35
How about we ignore that "rule" this game because it gets us nowhere but lynching our own blood.

RoadKill
09-30-2007, 04:34
MUHAHAHAHAHAHA, :smartass2:

CountArach
09-30-2007, 04:35
How about we ignore that "rule" this game because it gets us nowhere but lynching our own blood.
If there is good enough reasoning for the voting, then the rule does not apply.

Zain
09-30-2007, 05:09
If there is good enough reasoning for the voting, then the rule does not apply.

Heh, I didin't see good enough reasoning in Tale of Beer and Old People...

But either way... hello

Stig
09-30-2007, 07:13
Before the game even started Stig voted for me, and FactionHeir voted for Stig because Stig "jumped the gun".

FactionHeir is dead, so...

Stupid reasoning, as Ichigo said. I'm not framing myself you know.
Unvote, vote: Zain

Omanes Alexandrapolites
09-30-2007, 08:43
Tally:
RoadKill: 2 (Warmaster Horus, Brave_Sir_Robin)
Kommodus: 2 (Waldinger, RoadKill)
Zain: 2 (Stig, Ichigo)
Haudgen: 1 (Kommodus)
Ichigo: 1 (shlin28)
Stig: 1 (Zain)

If I am correct, this is the current tally. Could you guys keep to it throughout this round - it'll make the game easier for your exceptionally lazy host. Thanks!

Zain
09-30-2007, 13:53
Despite the fact that you guys can't see my reasoning, it's alright.

Unvote: Vote: Roadkill

He's been unacceptionally inactive this game. And his MUAHAHAHA statement above just doesn't suit me well.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
09-30-2007, 14:30
Tally:
RoadKill: 3 (Warmaster Horus, Brave_Sir_Robin, Zain)
Zain: 2 (Stig, Ichigo)
Ichigo: 1 (shlin28)

Csargo
09-30-2007, 14:57
Despite the fact that you guys can't see my reasoning, it's alright.

Unvote: Vote: Roadkill

He's been unacceptionally inactive this game. And his MUAHAHAHA statement above just doesn't suit me well.

Scummy... I ask you all to bandwagon Zain, he's obviously guilty.

Kommodus
09-30-2007, 15:09
Vote: Waldinger - You may not be aware but Kommodus is useful unless we lynch him, in which case we cannot know if he is a townie.

Um... I thought I'd debunked this argument for the purposes of this game? If you lynch me and the game doesn't end, it's obvious I was a regular townie, since the game ends if either the beast or the consciousness is lynched. Like the rest of you I can't tell whether or not I'm the beast.

Maybe the consciousness did pick me, hoping to use what you've just said as an argument to make sure his beast didn't get lynched. But if so, he made a mistake, since that argument is moot (as I've shown).

Hm... :inquisitive:

shlin28
09-30-2007, 15:17
Vote Zain

Third on bandwagon on Roadkill

Zain
09-30-2007, 15:34
Hey Shlin, that makes you 3rd of bandwagon on me. SCUMMY

Either way, what's wrong with defending myself by taking myself out of the tiebreaker? How is self-defense scummy?

Csargo
09-30-2007, 15:48

Either way, what's wrong with defending myself by taking myself out of the tiebreaker? How is self-defense scummy?

Townies shouldn't be afraid to be lynched. If your lynched that proves you innocent anyways. It's common knowledge that ties help the town by extending the round and giving them more time to talk.

Stig
09-30-2007, 16:47

Self defense by saving yourself, before the tie is in order (ie. before the Gamemaster says this is a tie and we can only vote on those in it) is scummy.

Get Zain people.

Zain
09-30-2007, 17:22
I didn't know ties were good for the townies, i'm still new and learning something new pretty much every game. I'm sorry, I'll continue learning.

Unvote: Vote: Stig

Back to my previous vote.

Stig
09-30-2007, 17:33
Which has the worst reasoning ever.
Would I be mafia I'd kill Ichigo or Kommo, so that I've got rid of them

Omanes Alexandrapolites
09-30-2007, 17:59
Tally:
Zain: 3 (Stig, Ichigo, shlin28)

Just so you know, this round will end in about ten minutes.

Stig
09-30-2007, 18:07
He says that now

woad&fangs
09-30-2007, 18:18
Unvote: Kommodus, Vote: Roadkill
Just tying everything up. I don't think that either Zain or Roadkill is guilty but this will hopefully generate some more discussion

Stig
09-30-2007, 18:19
Unvote: Kommodus, Vote: Roadkill
Just tying everything up.
Why?

Omanes Alexandrapolites
09-30-2007, 18:23
After the votes were counted, Zain was pushed harshly forward by the villagers. A predominant villager handcuffed him, and then laid his neck upon a block of wood. Some villagers honestly believed that he was the consciousness - they truly had no idea how correct they were.

“So Zain, you will be killed today - anything to say in your defence before we behead you.”

“No, not really” Zain said casually. He spoke with no fear of what was coming, he actually seemed to be rather used to the routine.

“Ok, saves us the hassle of listening I suppose. Anyhow, let’s get this execution over with.”

As the axe came down upon Zain’s head, and he was decapitated, the villagers began to speak among themselves. They were silenced immediately by a blood-curdling scream from Zain’s headless corpse.

“I live on, never shall I be killed. Victory may be yours, but only for now - vengeance will be mine!”

A spirit like figure rose from the corpse, screaming foreign and harsh words of hatred at the villagers as it cried through them, leaving the town, and then dematerialising into the thin air.

Tally:
Zain: 3 (Stig, Ichigo, shlin28)

Villagers
shlin28
FactionHeir
Kommodus
Ichigo
Brave_Sir Robin
CountArach
RoadKill
Warmaster Horus

Beast
Haudgen

Consciousness
Zain

Insane Doctor
Waldinger

Priest
Stig

Village Victory!

Seems the town got lucky - full write up, along with full details, will follow.
Thankyou for joining and playing!

BTW, Waldinger, your vote was too late, sorry.

Csargo
09-30-2007, 18:25
V for Victory!!

Stig
09-30-2007, 18:37
Actually Waldinger voted Roadkill and tied things up :bounce:

And Zain, you were unconvincing, work on it mate ~D

Kommodus
09-30-2007, 19:07
Wow, that was a quick victory. Nice job Stig, very nice! :2thumbsup:

Thanks for hosting, Omanes. :bow: For your next game, I'd work on balance. With the beast/consciousness getting only one kill per night and the town needing only to lynch one of the pair to win, I'd say things were skewed a little in favor of the town. (Not that it mattered in this case! :laugh4:)

woad&fangs
09-30-2007, 19:16
BTW, Waldinger, your vote was too late, sorry.
Yeah, I'm real dissapointed that my vote was to late.

Stig
09-30-2007, 19:18
I'm not, I would have killed Zain tonight ~D

Csargo
09-30-2007, 20:02
Wow, that was a quick victory. Nice job Stig, very nice! :2thumbsup:

Thanks for hosting, Omanes. :bow: For your next game, I'd work on balance. With the beast/consciousness getting only one kill per night and the town needing only to lynch one of the pair to win, I'd say things were skewed a little in favor of the town. (Not that it mattered in this case! :laugh4:)

O RLY? :inquisitive:

shlin28
09-30-2007, 20:16
W00t! My bandwagon was right!

Omanes Alexandrapolites
09-30-2007, 20:39
So, the town earned themselves a victory. I was expecting the game to be much longer, and I balanced many roles to try and enable this, but in the end, Zain, the conciousness, was lynched on the first day phase.

Role Explanations
The conciousness, the beast and the villagers have already undergone explanation, so that just leaves the descriptions of the Priest and the Insane Doctor.

The Priest (Stig) was a kind of vigilante. He had the option of performing one exorcist on one player at any point in the game. This would have killed the victim.

The Insane Doctor (Waldinger), was a kind of detective, despite his role's misleading name. On every second night (N1, N3, N5 ect.) he could analyse one player. This would inform him if the target was infected (the Beast), inhuman (the Conciousness) or innocent (Villager or pro-Villager).

Unfortunately, his role had a twist - he would gain the opposite of what the results should say. For example, should he investigate a villager, he would find them to be either infected or inhuman. Likewise, should he investigate the beast or the conciousness, he would find them to be innocent.

Game Progression
On Night I, Zain killed FactionHeir, Waldinger analysed Kommodus (and gained the result "inhuman"), while Stig chose to do nothing.

The following day, things went a little too far in the town's favour. Zain accidentally incriminated himself early on, and this resulted in the villagers targeting him. He was eventually lynched by a margin of one vote. This resulted in the villagers gaining an almost instantaneous victory.

Afterthought
This game ended a little earlier than I anticipated, although it was an experiment to a certain extent. I had tried to balance the game out by weakening the Detective and Vigilante roles, but it seems as if it wasn't enough to prevent the town getting lucky rather early on.

In future, I feel that it may be wiser to somehow provide the conciousness with more power - the beast could be able to kill two players at once rather than one. It may also be wiser to somehow force the town to kill both characters, rather than just the one. I could also, as an alternative, have two consciousnesses, or the conciousness and his assistant, and force the town to kill both of them to gain dominance.

Any advice for future versions of this system will be appreciated.

Warmaster Horus
09-30-2007, 20:40
Thanks Omanes for hosting! Lucky town, I guess...

Zain
09-30-2007, 23:12
Waldinger's vote would've saved me... I don't like deadlines...

I had a new strategy already worked up after this voting stage. Plus, it's the same people that vote for me every game. Ichigo, Stig, and Shlin.

What's the deal guys?

Stig
09-30-2007, 23:17
You sound awfully suspicious :laugh4:

CountArach
09-30-2007, 23:20
And who ever said that lynching in the first round does no good?

Zain
09-30-2007, 23:23
My previous question still stand. I'm curious.

Also, how'd you guys like the death of FactionHeir? I thought it was a pretty good story... although I am a bit biased. :wink:

RoadKill
10-01-2007, 03:09
That was fast

Csargo
10-01-2007, 03:11
Waldinger's vote would've saved me... I don't like deadlines...

I had a new strategy already worked up after this voting stage. Plus, it's the same people that vote for me every game. Ichigo, Stig, and Shlin.

What's the deal guys?

I don't remember ever lynching you before. I voted you because you were acting scummy.

Tratorix
10-01-2007, 03:19
Victory! :balloon2: :balloon2:

Yay for random luck! :balloon2:

Thanks for hosting Omanes.

Zain
10-01-2007, 04:50
Being active tends to be seen as "scummy" lately.

So, I'm not going to be as active. I've noticed that people who post all the time (stig, shlin, etc...) get more and more scummy sounding as they post, while people like Haudegan, which was my Beast, seems perfectly pure, IMHO.

Csargo
10-01-2007, 13:09
No, it's how you post.

CountArach
10-01-2007, 13:30
Yeah. As a new player you do a lot of things that more experienced players consider scummy. Activity has nothing to do with it (Look at Ichigo for example).