PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of Tunis - 255 BC

TWFanatic
09-28-2007, 01:55
The Battle of Tunis was Carthage’s only major land victory of the First Punic War. It stands out amongst other battles of the Punic Wars namely because the majority of the Carthaginian army consisted not of mercenaries, as was their custom, but of ordinary citizens. However, the Punic victory was not due to the willingness of the Carthaginian populace to fight - an area in which the Romans were far superior - but to the charismatic leadership and sound tactical decisions of a Greek (possibly Lacedaemonian) Mercenary named Xanthippus.

My major source for this battle is, of course, Polybius. The relevant sections of his Histories are 1.32 (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/////ptext?lookup=Plb.+1.32) - 1.35. Among the other resources I have consulted, two of the most useful were Hannibal: A History of the Art of War Among the Carthaginians and Romans, by Theodore Ayrault Dodge, and The History of Rome, by Thomas Arnold.

Of everything I’ve ever read on this battle, nothing has mentioned the size or kind of the elephants which made up the front line of the army of Xanthippus. If anyone knows something I don’t or has an idea of what elephants to use, please let me know.

The same goes for the heavy mercenaries. I tend to believe that they were Greek, since Carthage had sent a recruiting agent to Greece looking for mercenaries prior to this battle. According to Polybius, the agent brought back “a large number of men with him.” Xanthippus only accounts for one of these men.

The following numbers are on a 10:1 scale.

Xanthippus:
1 unit of 5 Sacred Band Cavalry
2 units of 100 Ezrahim Parasim Ponnim
2 units of 100 Numidian Skirmisher Cavalry
5 units of 150 Misteret Izrahim Tsorim
1 units of 150 Dorkim Lubim-Ponnim Mookdamim
1 unit of 100 Misthophoroi Hoplitai
1 unit of 100 Toxotai Kretikoi
1 unit of 100 Balearic Slingers
10 elephants

Marcus Atilius Regulus: (all units are Camillan except for Velites)
1 unit of 5 Eqvites Consvlares
2 units of 25 Eqvites Romani
4 units of 108 Velites
4 units of 108 Hastati
4 units of 108 Principes
4 units of 54 Triarii

TWFanatic
09-30-2007, 16:10
I found a good spot of land right near Carthage. And as for the ele, I will just use 8 forest elephants and two bush elephants.

Sarkiss
09-30-2007, 16:27
its battle of Tunes not Tunis. you got me confused:book:
good luck with that.:balloon2:

TWFanatic
09-30-2007, 16:39
Every source I have ever seen has called it the Battle of Tunis. Where did you see it called The Battle of Tunes? That sounds like something a group of high school geeks would have with their iPods.:inquisitive:

abou
09-30-2007, 17:15
Cool. Good to see it started.:2thumbsup:

Sarkiss
09-30-2007, 20:33
Every source I have ever seen has called it the Battle of Tunis. Where did you see it called The Battle of Tunes? That sounds like something a group of high school geeks would have with their iPods.:inquisitive:
:laugh4:
Hannibal: A History of the Art of War Among the Carthaginians and Romans, by Theodore Ayrault Dodge.

TWFanatic
09-30-2007, 20:46
Gah! You're right! Arnold calls it Tunes as well. I seemed to have skipped over the actual name of the battle.:dizzy2:

Those are the only two places I've heard it called the Battle of Tunes, though. Honestly, I don't think it matters. Some people call it Tunis, some Tunes, whatever floats your boat...

Tiberius of the Drake
10-05-2007, 02:50
If this is the battle that i think your talking about then it is also known as the Battle of Bagradas valley as it took place in said valley right outside the city.

TWFanatic
10-09-2007, 22:07
I've been rather busy lately as my clan is going through a tough time, but at last here it is, the Battle of Tunis, on a 10:1 scale:
http://files.filefront.com/EBTuniszip/;8758339;/fileinfo.html

I probably won't be doing any more historical battles until EB 1 comes out. I've enjoyed making these though, and I hope you enjoy playing them.:egypt:

abou
10-10-2007, 02:35
Good to see. I'll give it a try between studying and get back to you.

EDIT: Bah, that's right. Our new Roman naming system means I can't play it without a CTD. Regardless, let me try something and get back to you.

TWFanatic
10-10-2007, 18:57
Speaking of names, I should make the same disclaimer I made with Cannae. EB does not have the first two names Marcus Atilius, and thus I had to name the Roman commander something like Gaius Atilius.

Sarkiss
10-11-2007, 22:12
congrats on finishing it.
will give it a try tomorrow.

TWFanatic
10-12-2007, 22:23
So now EB 1 comes out.:clown: It may have different stats for these units than .81, so it may not be balanced. It may not even work for EB 1. I'll find out soon enough.