PDA

View Full Version : What historical events would you like to see included/excluded?

Divinus Arma
09-28-2007, 02:51
Given the time period and certain historical events occuring in parts of the globe, what would you like to see included or left open to possibility?

anders
09-29-2007, 18:55
all manner of revolutions and uprising would be welcome, but the jacobite uprisings wolud be particularly cool( forgive me if theire outside of the time span of ETW) with hell-bent sword-wielding scotsmen rushing the firearmwielding lines of the english warmachine- and winning.

ixidor
09-29-2007, 20:26
Well, i think that a French Revolution would be good to the game (fits in the time period). Maybe it changed the political views of the Europe for example, by changing the absolutism governments by more democratic ones. Also, maybe a slave revolution too. Also, the american revolution would fit nice in the time period.

Matt_Lane
09-29-2007, 23:55
These are my favorites

Act of Union between England and Scotland
Invention of the Newcomen atmospheric engine
Jacobite Rebellion
Lisbon Earthquake
Famine of Bengal
Partition of Poland
Cooks Discovery of Australia
American Revolution
Wilkinsons cylinder boring machine
Invention of the Power Loom
French Revolution
Invention of the steam powered locomotive
Mexican and South American Wars of Inependance

Csargo
09-30-2007, 03:13
The Seven Years War.

emperor michael
09-30-2007, 11:14
Cooks Discovery of Australia

Mainly this one.

American Revolution

It will be in because of all the americans that will buy it.

Ozzman1O1
10-29-2007, 22:05
The crimean war?
The french indian war?
The boer wars?

Fate
10-30-2007, 15:34
The crimean war?
The french indian war?
The boer wars?

I can reassure you for certain, the Crimean and the Boer wars are well out of the time line of the game.

Irish Soldier
10-30-2007, 22:58
The 1798 Risings in Ireland would be extradionary!(Though I cant see it being in the game) Also the American War of independance, the Mexican War of Independance...erm French Revalution.

Freedom Onanist
10-31-2007, 00:56
all manner of revolutions and uprising would be welcome, but the jacobite uprisings wolud be particularly cool( forgive me if theire outside of the time span of ETW) with hell-bent sword-wielding scotsmen rushing the firearmwielding lines of the english warmachine- and winning.Hmmm... Of course a more historically accurate course of events would see sword-wielding scotsmen rushing the firearmwielding lines of the scottish warmachine. Either way, Scots will win.

econ21
11-01-2007, 16:48
I suspect - and hope - there won't be an American War of Independence etc per se. However, they would be semi-random revolts rather like the Baron's Alliance in the Kingdoms Britannia campaign. It seems that major colonies have a tendency gradually to break away over time - admittedly many after the Empires Time period - and I think CA should factor this in. May be have some factor like distance from capital that causes unrest and have it slowly ramp up over time. When the home country is weakened by a foreign war or raises taxes too much, colony unrest may hit a critical level (not observable to the player) and bang! all hell breaks loose. A new faction could be formed - American rebels, whatever - and gradually get reinforced by newly spawning armies.

The French revolution is also interesting. Again, I'd prefer to see it modelled more generically and semi-randomly rather than - like the Mongols in M2TW - always happening in the same place, in the same way. I understand there are government types in the game. Perhaps the more authoritarian could gradually become more problematic over time, to represent the spread of liberal and democratic ideals. So an authoritarian leaning British player could face a French Revolution type uprising - it would not just be confined to the French (Peterloo and all that). Ideally, there should also be a chance of nipping a nascent revolution in the bud - as in 1848.

It would be a bit lame if the British player knows in 1776 or whenever, he has to be prepared to squish a major American revolt; or the French player is forced to change government type at a fixed time in the game. Better to allow for alternative histories and keep players on their toes.

I would keep scripted deterministic historical events to those that are more minor and external to the theatre, and also to technological improvements (industrial revolution? rifling? skirmisher tactics?).

Brenus
11-01-2007, 20:06
For what I understood, the period will be from (roughly) 1715 (death of Louis XIV) to 1815 (Waterloo). So the game will miss the Gribeauval and Vauban innovations.
In term of events, I would like to see the Fronde (1643 death of Louis the XIII, his heir Louis XIV is 4 years old…). Including Louis the XIV to Louis the XV reign –started at age of five- would be a plus, as Louis XIV reign is quite famous for all it wars, and Louis XV (1715-1774) almost losing what his grand-father gained…

Marcus Furius Camillus
11-11-2007, 20:18
As a Belgian, I would like see the Peasant's War ( we know it as 'de Boerenkrijg ) included. The majority of you would think: What is the Peasant's War ?

wikipedia says:
The Peasants' War (Luxembourgish: Klëppelkrich, French: Guerre des Paysans, German: Klöppelkrieg, Dutch: Boerenkrijg) was a peasant revolt in 1798 against the French occupation of the Southern Netherlands, including modern Belgium, Luxembourg, and parts of Germany, during the French Revolutionary Wars.

The revolt was sparked off by the introduction of conscription for all men aged between 20 and 25 years old in Luxembourg, in late September 1798,[2] and quickly spread, enveloping most of the West Eifel.[3] For the most part, the revolt was restricted to the peasantry, hence its name, and the revolutionary impulse barely spread to the middle classes, for whom the spirit of anti-clericalism and modernisation that the French Revolution brought were advantageous.[4]

Bereft of organisation and military training, and without the backing of the middle classes, the insurgency was quickly put down by the French occupiers.[5] In retribution for the revolt, 94 insurgents were tried, of whom 42 were sentenced to death.[6]

the majority would still say: what? But the Peasant's war was one of the most important events in the old Netherlands ( = Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxemburg ), especially in the Southern Netherlands ( modern day Belgium ) and, more precise, in the east of Flanders and Campine ( de Kempen in dutch ). Every city had its own leader ( most important were: Harts ( from Geel ), Corbeels ( from Turnhout ), Rollier ( from Sint-Amands ), Van Rompay ( from Bonheiden ) and Van Gansen ( from Westerlo )
and its own corps of 'Brigants'.
The leaders of this revolt and the Brigants are still hero's in Flanders and it would be a shame if this revolt of historical importance isn't included.

http://www.vrijbuiter.org/images/54-mis.jpg

http://www.vrijbuiter.org/images/54-boerenkrijg.jpg

Sheogorath
11-11-2007, 23:44
Hmmm, in 1700 the Great Northern War was on. Does this mean that Muscovy and Russia will start out at war? I think Austria was fighting a few of its neighbors too.

LadyAnn
11-18-2007, 00:40
I want to exclude ALL historical events when game started.

Let's say I start a game at 1700, i want all the events and conditions to be exactly what it was up to that time. The more realist the better. But once the game started, I don't want any arbitrary event.

Why? because it would be ridiculous to play Louis XVI knowing I will get guillotined :)

Annie