PDA

View Full Version : KotR Governor's tactics to quell riots

econ21
10-01-2007, 22:24
1308: The slaying of the Kaiser by unknown forces has caused civil unrest throughout the Reich. Supporters of the Kaiser Siegfried and re-unification mount vehement protests against the Electors, most of whom had expressed no confidence in the late Kaiser. Supporters of Alexander Luther and opponents of re-unification organise public celebrations. The two sides frequently clash, leading to much loss of life and destruction of property.

Governors may choose how to appeal to citizens under their charge. If they are successful, they may be able to bring the situation under control. If they fail, their settlements may revolt entirely and leave the Reich.

OOC: The chaos has been simulated by setting taxes to very high in 1308. If governors succeed in their appeals, taxes will be lowered to avoid revolt. This will take effect at the end of 1310.

gibsonsg91921
10-01-2007, 22:34
If im even allowed a county, im taking breslau with me - we're going to be one happy rebellious family

Privateerkev
10-01-2007, 22:36
seeing as your "freehold", you have a county. :yes:

Its why Jan never called for Peter to be fired as Count. Only as Steward. (but peter is still steward too...)

gibsonsg91921
10-01-2007, 22:48
nope, im bonded cuz ansehelm is my brother, not father

Privateerkev
10-01-2007, 22:51
It's something I looked into a little while ago. Your freehold if your father was ever Duke. So, Wolfgang, you, Fritz, and Matthias are all freehold. Hans, Elberhard, Ansehelm, Arnold, and Lothar would be freehold too but their titles are such where that doesn't matter anymore.

gibsonsg91921
10-01-2007, 22:51
is that so? excellent! ill lead my peasants into revolt!

Privateerkev
10-01-2007, 22:54
is that so? excellent! ill lead my peasants into revolt!

Well, thats what I got from econ. I had a question awhile back on if you were freehold if your father "ever was" Duke or if your father "is" Duke. Econ ruled on the former so thats what I'm going by. Otherwise we would have no freeholds left if we used the latter. :book:

TinCow
10-01-2007, 23:21
Vote: Threaten the people with draconian reprisals

Clarification: Tolerate any person to speak his beliefs, be they political or religious. However, any person who causes harm to another or damages Bavarian property will be put to death without trial.

Stig
10-01-2007, 23:29
Peter is bonded afaik, as Gibson said, he's Ansehelm's brother. Makes no sense otherwise ... or Econ has to start rewriting things again

Stig
10-01-2007, 23:34
btw I want to option:
Other than above, name below

econ21
10-01-2007, 23:37
Peter is bonded afaik, as Gibson said, he's Ansehelm's brother. Makes no sense otherwise ... or Econ has to start rewriting things again

Interpreting, not rewriting. :beam:

The way I figure it, the settlement of a freehold Count is like property. If your father was Duke, you become a Count through inheritance. The settlement can't be taken away from you even when your father dies and a new Duke appears.

The settlement of a bonded Count is like a tenancy and your lease can be revoked.

GeneralHankerchief
10-01-2007, 23:42
I'm in a Citadel (can't adjust tax rate) with a decent garrison so there really shouldn't be any problems. If there are, then show no mercy to the rioters (both sides).

OverKnight
10-01-2007, 23:49
Geez, I don't like the wording on the options. :laugh4:

I voted appeal to the loyalty. But, Matthias is at base law and order. If there is rioting, or plots, he will clamp down, no matter who does it. Rule of Law. He will ask for the trust of those he rules, trust him to get them through the dark times. Hopefully he has enough good will left from his Chancellorship to pull this off.

gibsonsg91921
10-01-2007, 23:57
is there a "show them that the real enemy isnt in the churches but beyond the borders in greece via your martyrship and imprisonment" option?

econ21
10-02-2007, 00:00
is there a "show them that the real enemy isnt in the churches but beyond the borders in greece via your martyrship and imprisonment" option?

No, I've tried to make the options equally applicable whichever side of the unification issue your character is on.

As for the wording - people should just pick one that sounds most in character. If they don't, I'll randomly assign one to their avatar and the outcome will likely be worse. All will become clear in less than 48 hours.

gibsonsg91921
10-02-2007, 00:02
ill have to go with draconian then

Privateerkev
10-02-2007, 00:06
Oh I definitely picked. Jan's a number 4 kind of guy. We'll see how it goes. :yes:

Looking at all three polls, I have a feeling that if someone voted yes on Kaiser confidence, but pro-Luther, then they might have a pretty peaceful settlement. :laugh4:

FactionHeir
10-02-2007, 00:13
Taxes on VH alone won't cause too many settlements (except the overpopulated and undergarrisoned cities which are far from the capital) to riot. You modding the settlement mechanics file too? :tongue2:

As for how Hans would deal with it. Draconian I suppose. He's already been persecuting Lutherans in Swabia (and given orders for all to do so) for several years with no problems.

[edit]
Another thought on success chance would be to include the governor's (or rather the count of the settlement's even if he is not currently in) traits in the calculation. I.e. a poor administrator is more likely to cause more troubles. Similarly, a publically loved general may have good chances of quelling the masses.

econ21
10-02-2007, 00:21
Taxes on VH alone won't cause too many settlements (except the overpopulated and undergarrisoned cities which are far from the capital) to riot. You modding the settlement mechanics file too? :tongue2:

Well, if you want a sneak peak of the report for 1308, we have riots in:

Paris, Budapest, Damascus, Bruges, Antioch, Edessa, Rheims, Stettin, Prague, Venice, Hamburg, Vienna and Dijon.

I suspect the Reich could implode in a few turns of VH taxes.

Don't worry, I am not going to do this. The riots for 1308 are more transitory - they represent a kind of Rwanda 1994 reaction to the assassination of the Head of State. But they will continue unless governors can quell them.

Stig
10-02-2007, 00:23
I vote one option #1, but as a disclaimer:
it should be this for Ansehelm personally:
Appeal to the people's loyalty to Kaiser and Reich

Stig
10-02-2007, 00:25
I suspect the Reich could implode in a few turns of VH taxes.
If you do that you're not listening to those who said tax levels :laugh4:

TinCow
10-02-2007, 00:58
Well, if you want a sneak peak of the report for 1308, we have riots in:

Paris, Budapest, Damascus, Bruges, Antioch, Edessa, Rheims, Stettin, Prague, Venice, Hamburg, Vienna and Dijon.

MUAHAHA! The Iron Fist of Steffen will keep order in Bavaria forever! :whip:

plus, having the capital nearby is nice...

Privateerkev
10-02-2007, 01:01
*PK kicks over the huge cathedral in Milan*

^_^

gibsonsg91921
10-02-2007, 01:14
haha not breslau! woot w00t

Stuperman
10-02-2007, 01:26
Corsica's the place to be, reasonable taxes, beautiful beaches, maybe I'll even visit my own county someday.

Cecil XIX
10-02-2007, 01:46
Man, even Prague? Looks like my/Edmund's building strategy isn't coming along as nicely as we'd like. Ah well, it works for my character development.

Becker's strategy is to let the two groups vent when done peacefully while employing the gentry and other nobles to help keep the peace.

Northnovas
10-02-2007, 03:44
I had to go with #2. Karl's having a hard time finding his place, the Kaiser and Reich loyalty are not an option in the current state for the populace, fear of God would have worked earlier but cathedrals destroyed and churches burning is not an option for the masses, getting the gentry to protect the defenceless; who is there?
I have to take a page from Arnold and get tough with anyone stepping out of bounds that will destroy property or harm people.:whip:
I have lands to protect and a family whose future must be secured.
Karl is going to have to get tough to keep peace in his realm and then spread the love when things settle down. :shakehands:

Tamur
10-02-2007, 04:13
Fritz will take door #4, Call upon the local gentry to protect the defenceless. He's been using them to kick the Papal sect out of Stettin, as well as other local matters, so he'd likely rely on them further to quell uprisings.

FactionHeir
10-02-2007, 08:37
I would've expected more from Elberhard's county.
At least Bern isn't rioting :grin2:

Warmaster Horus
10-02-2007, 11:59
N# 2. Friedrich doesn't have time to talk a lot, or to make sure recruiting has gone well. So, the last option is: "Riot and Die!"

AussieGiant
10-02-2007, 17:09
Can I have one that says:

"Duke Arnold has sent you a bunch of flowers for your troubles, please feel free to vent your feelings at him personally at the local market square".

If anyone steps out of line...ahh well I guess you can all work out the next move.