PDA

View Full Version : war within the Empire

domokun
10-08-2007, 21:26
Hi,
I've been watching the progress of this mod baited breath.
The reason is that I also play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and I have this crazy idea that this mod could be used as an original and exciting gaming aid.
Basically it would allow my players to fight battles in real-time using their real skills rather than dice!
For example a player's character becomes powerful enough to raise an army and foolish enough to field it against a rival then I'd setup the battle in the game and then allow the player to fight against the rival (either AI, me or even another player).
Although I'm no modder I'd love to try and help.

Bwian
10-08-2007, 21:28
Interesting idea :laugh4:

No reason why that wouldn't work for custom battles.

domokun
10-08-2007, 21:32
Maps
I've found detailed maps of every province of the Empire:

Originals = http://www.madalfred.darcore.net/Maps.html
Clearer versions = http://www.andreas.blicher.info/Maps.htm
Clearer versions with easy navigation = http://www.windsofchaos.com/?page_id=24

These pages also include maps of the states surrounding the Empire (Brettonia, Kislev, Tilea, etc). These maps are the most accurate that you can find. In fact in many ways they are more accurate than the few provided by GW. Proof is that GW often uses them as inspiration for their maps.
Finally, there are 2 versions of most maps - WFRP 1 and WFRP 2.
FYI WFRP 1 refers to the years before the Storm of Chaos = 2512 - 2521.
WFRP 2 refers to the years after the Storm of Chaos = 2522 and onwards
IMHO it would be best to create maps for both WFRP 1 and WFRP 2.
If I had to choose between the two, I'd opt for maps based on WFRP 1.

Imperial nobles
http://www.madalfred.darcore.net/articles/Electors.rtf

Lemme know if its possible and if not what's missing (maybe I can help)

Sorry for the double post but I couldn't insert URLs in my first post :embarassed:

Enthes
10-08-2007, 23:29
wow crazy detail maps, a bit to much detail i think :sweatdrop:

allthough that roleplay thing with custum battle sounds gd and with enough work you could a capaign played out with people fighting in custum battles and posting results

Bwian
10-09-2007, 09:50
Potentially, you could also use it to provide a political and military overview to the RPG. Borders and influences could change, and military build ups would affect where adventurers could and should go. Last thing you want to do is walk into the middle of an Orc army!

There are many ways that a good strategy game could be used to add background and the bigger picture for a roleplaying game. Hope our finished product works for you!

alexader
10-09-2007, 13:41
Bwian i want to ask you something,what do you thing about the AI of the game,should you think of trying another mod for AI like the Darth mod(it's so impressive AI that you can find)to add it in your mod?you should definetely look for a better AI than that of the original(think about to include Darth mod).what it's your opinion about that?:egypt:

Enthes
10-09-2007, 16:44
new AI would be cool as it would mean the mod playes different to teh game batlte wise

domokun
10-09-2007, 22:16
Bwian, Enthes, you're absolutely right!
Essentially I have 2-4 players.
The idea being that each player will play the leader of a faction.
We roleplay their attempts to build alliances, spy on their enemies, deceive, blackmail, kidnap, assassinate, etc using the standard rules for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (tabletop + dice).

If and when they decide to field their armies :laugh4: I then setup the battlefield based on the aforementioned maps and the troops that they have managed to marshall, using the Custom Battles.

That's why I'm keen to understand the advancement of this mod in terms of:

a) Imperial units - i.e. what types are available?
b) Imperial factions - what provinces are available? are they skinned according to the "official" colours? do they have flags and/or standards based on "official" heraldry?
c) Special characters - who is available? Is is possible to define the characteristics for a single character? if so, is it possible to skin a single character?
d) Imperial scenery (buildings, villages? cities?)

Although this project is far from urgent, I figured that I'd start asking now. That way I might be able to contribute.

Jargon
10-10-2007, 12:54
Great project. Because its based on close friends and not the conflicting timezones of the internet it should be good fun to play.

What you should do is keep this forum updated with the latest happenings and rules that your group comes up with. You could DM random nations that attack your players, and then invite forum goers from this board to be the NPC faction at a set time for the battle. If they dont show up then the DM can just fight the battle instead or just use the AI, no harm done.

If someone does shows up on time and is reliable for the battles you could begin to integrate him into the campaign and he can make more RP decisions. This way is better than allowing people to join and then finding out later that they are unreliable and slow your game down.

Enthes
10-11-2007, 00:21
If this mod ever reaches its campaign stages (which im sure it will) they could move it to kingdoms so that you can have a multiplayer campaign although you cant fight the battles between each other that way have to auto resolve which defeats the point a bit i guess :sweatdrop:

domokun
10-15-2007, 20:50
> Great project. Because its based on close friends and not the conflicting timezones of the internet it should be good fun to play.

Indeed however at the moment our biggest obstacle seems to be the one of the players can't get a simple VoIP software to work on his PC :wall:

> at you should do is keep this forum updated with the latest happenings and rules that your group comes up with.

Sure but we won't be using any special rules for WTWM2. Just WFRP for the roleplaying and this Warhammer mod for TWM2.

> You could DM random nations that attack your players, and then invite forum goers from this board to be the NPC faction at a set time for the battle.

That's a wild idea! :idea2: I really hope that this mod reaches maturity.

> If they dont show up then the DM can just fight the battle instead or just use the AI, no harm done.

Maybe but I think I'd rather play the opposing faction :whip:

> If someone does shows up on time and is reliable for the battles you could begin to integrate him into the campaign and he can make more RP decisions. This way is better than allowing people to join and then finding out later that they are unreliable and slow your game down.

Good advice

> If this mod ever reaches its campaign stages (which im sure it will) they could move it to kingdoms so that you can have a multiplayer campaign although you cant fight the battles between each other that way have to auto resolve which defeats the point a bit i guess

Wow I hadn't even realised that

So anyone got any ideas on the advancement of this mod in terms of:

a) Imperial units - i.e. what types are available?
b) Imperial factions - what provinces are available? are they skinned according to the "official" colours? do they have flags and/or standards based on "official" heraldry?
c) Special characters - who is available? Is is possible to define the characteristics for a single character? if so, is it possible to skin a single character?
d) Imperial scenery (buildings, villages? cities?)

Jargon
10-17-2007, 12:22
A mod for MTW2 I have enjoyed is actually called The Empire. It divides the Holy Roman Empire into its historical components: Saxony, Franconia, Austria, Bohemia etc. They are all allied together and have a few other interlinkages, such as the ability to vote for a new Fuhrer just like a pope.

Having something like this for Warhammer Total War would be way too much extra work for a Bwian to do with so many different races left to go, but it seems like something an indepedent fan of Warhammer may want to tinker with and maybe add in later on. If the scripting is simple or shared from the Empire mod, then the hard work would be from the skin textures, the flags and editing the map for Stirland, Ostland, Kiev, Middenland etc.

You can check it out here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=498

Phats
10-17-2007, 13:40
A mod for MTW2 I have enjoyed is actually called The Empire.....

Although I haven't tried that mod it is interesting that they say:-

- New campaign script (CS): HRE factions are able to elect the emperor now (in ADDITION to papal elections).

Some people mentioned pope and jihad like ideas in the past that Bwain and his team didn't feel would be possible/plausible within the current papal structure, this type of scripting might make those ideas feasible if desired. A minimod treating the Empire in a similar fashion would certainly be interesting but any talk of such a thing is certainly putting the car in front of the horse at this stage, I just can't wait for Bwain's first release. :laugh4: