PDA

View Full Version : Faction that includes Spartans???

deathdealerdelta
10-14-2007, 23:48
With all of the new factions, do any of them include spartans?

Foot
10-14-2007, 23:57
What, Sparta as a separate faction? no. Sparta forms part of the league with the faction name of Koinon Hellenon, we won't be splitting that faction up into separate city-states.

Foot

Admetos
10-14-2007, 23:58
The Koinon Hellenon can recruit them, at a level 5 factional MIC, IIRC, in Sparta only. Perhaps this would be more relevant in the EB1 forum seeing as development has hardly started on EB2 yet?

EDIT: Perhaps I misread the question?

deathdealerdelta
10-17-2007, 22:48
thanks, so Koinon Hellenon will have the spartan hoplites with the red robes? Hopefully a change is made so that they have the full helmet with the faceguard instead of just the helmet.

Admetos
10-17-2007, 23:57
Although I'm not on the team, I can tell you the helmet won't be changing unless you can produce strong historical evidence of the use of the Corinthian Helm in this period. I agree that the Corinthian is much better looking, but it's just not historical in this time period, although there's nothing stopping you swapping the skin with another one. :2thumbsup:

Krusader
10-19-2007, 04:36
thanks, so Koinon Hellenon will have the spartan hoplites with the red robes? Hopefully a change is made so that they have the full helmet with the faceguard instead of just the helmet.

Hegemonia:TW might have that kind of unit.

Pharnakes
10-20-2007, 22:04
We might.... Or we might not.... wait and see:laugh4:

And if you don't like this attitiude blame the eb team for tormenting me so much, I have to take it out on some one.:smash:

deathdealerdelta
10-21-2007, 13:44
Torso of a Spartan hoplite,
found at Sparta and identified
as a memorial statue to
Leonidas (Museum of Sparta;
photo Shane Solow,
Herodotus Project; ©*)

http://www.livius.org/a/1/greeks/leonidas.jpg

Is that enough evidence or are you talking about someone actually stating from that time period that they wore a certain type of helmet

Pharnakes
10-21-2007, 14:39
Nobody denies that the spartans used corinthian helms, it is just that by ebs time frame, that had been replaced with the atticke and I forget what the one the eb spartans use is called,as the corinthian did not give enough visibility. (Though it does look very cool)

Karo
10-21-2007, 14:39
If it's Leonidas than it's the wrong time periode. so no thats not enough evidince but I'm not in the team so wait and see what they decide.

Edit what Pharnakes said lol

Zenith Darksea
10-21-2007, 17:53
Yes, that bust represents a Spartan from about 200 years or more before the time period that EB depicts - it's reasonable evidence for about 500 BC perhaps, but certainly not for 272 BC!

wumpus
11-28-2007, 06:53
One point I'd like to make: when an artist makes a statue or painting, sometimes he depicts them with the armor of HIS own time period, not that of the subject's (Leonidas, Brasidas, or whoever) period. Take the case of a painting depicting the Fall of Troy with the people in in wearing clothes and armor of the Renaissance--just because the painter lived during the Renaissance. Hawooh.

White_eyes:D
11-28-2007, 13:48
One point I'd like to make: when an artist makes a statue or painting, sometimes he depicts them with the armor of HIS own time period, not that of the subject's (Leonidas, Brasidas, or whoever) period. Take the case of a painting depicting the Fall of Troy with the people in in wearing clothes and armor of the Renaissance--just because the painter lived during the Renaissance. Hawooh.

So your saying in the 1600's ppl wore the Corinthian helm??:laugh4:

Foot
11-28-2007, 14:45
So your saying in the 1600's ppl wore the Corinthian helm??:laugh4:

He is referring to a particular style of painting where contemporary fashion was used to dress the figures in a painting about an ancient event. It apply that same effect to classical art has no basis, whereas the opposite does, given the archealogical record.

Foot

Achilles the last
01-19-2008, 02:15
well at least include a spartan standard with that helmet, and besides can't the spartans have a beard and a mustache instead of the beard only

antisocialmunky
01-19-2008, 05:35
well at least include a spartan standard with that helmet, and besides can't the spartans have a beard and a mustache instead of the beard only

More varied facial hair for EB2 please.

Foot
01-19-2008, 05:54
More varied facial hair for EB2 please.

You should see the first unit that was created for EB2. The variation on facial hair is immense.

Foot

antisocialmunky
01-19-2008, 15:04
I bet the guy who gets to do all the Gaestae skins will have a hell of a time...

Slim_Ghost
01-20-2008, 01:32
I prefer to have 3 separate factions - Sparta, Athens and Rhodes allied to each other than have the Koinon Hellenon faction. I mean, I seriously doubt that the Spartans will continue to give love and hugs to the other greeks after they get rid of the Macedonian menace. The Spartans are REALLY looking forward to conquering other Greek cities, especially his rival Athens.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-20-2008, 03:02
As has been said elsewhere: If those cities were divided, then they wouldn't be worth a faction slot each (faction slots are a very limited resource) and would be best represented simply as strong 'rebel' towns. And besides, individual cities wouldn't go out and conquer the world, they would just sit around their cities warring/allying with their neighbors.

General Appo
01-20-2008, 08:34
[/QUOTE]And besides, individual cities wouldn't go out and conquer the world, they would just sit around their cities warring/allying with their neighbors.[/QUOTE]

Yeah? That´s what the Romans did then, is it?

Crian
01-20-2008, 11:40
Yeah? That´s what the Romans did then, is it?

I see where this is going :laugh4:, besides, you missed the point.

He was talking about what was possible from a modding standpoint and what can be done within the limitations of the game engine. Being a smartas... I mean citing history doesn't change the mechanics of the game, there are and always will be limitations. :yes:

Spartan198
01-20-2008, 12:49
I haven't played the original EB,but here's a suggestion from a die-hard Sparta fan: how about retaining the pylos helmet (which I'm pretty sure was what they historically wore,but if I'm wrong,please enlighten me) but adding a transverse red crest,while axing the cloak and making their armor visable, with red tunics worn beneath? Historically,they never wore cloaks into battle.

PS - This just coming from someone who plays Rome with Spartans who look like priests wearing red robes and bronze helmets,so I don't mean to but in. :embarassed:

Foot
01-20-2008, 12:52
I haven't played the original EB,but here's a suggestion from a die-hard Sparta fan: how about retaining the pylos helmet (which I'm pretty sure was what they historically wore,but if I'm wrong,please enlighten me) but adding a transverse red crest,while axing the cloak and making their armor visable, with red tunics worn beneath? Historically,they never wore cloaks into battle.

PS - This just coming from someone who plays Rome with Spartans who look like priests wearing red robes and bronze helmets,so I don't mean to but in. :embarassed:

Well considering that our spartans are completely different to vanilla spartans this is a really odd thing to put forward. They don't have crests, but they have highly ornate armour, a short-red cloack, pylos helmet.

Foot

antisocialmunky
01-20-2008, 15:28
Well considering that our spartans are completely different to vanilla spartans this is a really odd thing to put forward. They don't have crests, but they have highly ornate armour, a short-red cloack, pylos helmet.

Foot

Has their been any talk about adding the pimped out Spartan mercenary unit to EBII? EBII would do it justice, that thing was friggen sweet. I lost my pictures of it but it would be cool if someone posted it.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-20-2008, 20:48
Just for reference, this is the EB1 Spartan:
https://www.europabarbarorum.com/i/units/koinon-hellenon/kh_spartiates.gif
(Though, I believe the Lambda on the shield was reworked since the picture was taken.)

Spartan198
01-21-2008, 14:13

Foot

Well,like I said,I haven't played EB,so I hadn't seen your Spartans. I apologize for not being any kind of help.

zonks32
02-17-2008, 16:21
Next they will want persians with katana's.

antisocialmunky
02-17-2008, 17:46
The Thracian Elites pretty much already have that covered.

Watchman
02-17-2008, 20:49
:inquisitive: Since when did "katana" become synonymous with "sickle on steroids" ?

antisocialmunky
02-18-2008, 06:01
When it got the feel of dude with 'giant-curvy-blade with a fancy helmet that hacks through anything'

Nevermind which way it curves.

Tiberius of the Drake
02-20-2008, 03:58
:inquisitive: Since when did "katana" become synonymous with "sickle on steroids" ?

great quote :smile: