PDA

View Full Version : KotR Imperial Messenger Service

GeneralHankerchief
10-15-2007, 13:39
While Rome has fallen and the Diet been closed, communication is not completely cut off between Electors. News can still get out and quickly make their way around the Reich, and the Imperial Messenger Service is the best place to spread the news.

Use this thread to make any official in-character proclamations that apply to the Reich as a whole. Debate is not encouraged as it would be debate-by-mail, which lacks the zing of normal debate.

Example: The House of Austria is in dire straits and requests assistance against the Byzantines. Your contribution will not be forgotten once this ends.

econ21
10-15-2007, 22:18
The State of the Reich

Electors, in these chaotic times, my authority seems to extend no further than the picquets of my army. However, I believe I can still perform some small service as Kaiser by keeping a record of the fate of the provinces that are, or once were, part of the Reich. I will endeavour to keep this accurate and up to date, so as to facilitate right and lawful arrangements of the Reich after this cataclysm is over.

3^Swabia (Duke von Salza - no heir)
7^Staufen|
7^Bern|Occupied by the usurper Dietrich von Dassel, 1324. Retaken by loyalist Swabians, 1330.
7^Dijon|Revolted 1316; former Count von Salza.
7^Metz|Former Count Hummel - declared for his rebellion in 1314, but then revolted in the same year. Occupied by Duke Hans, 1324.
7^Rheims|Taken by France, 1330.
7^Paris|Revolted 1314. Taken by France, 1320.
7^Bruges|Occupied by SHA1 in 1306 & immediately gifted to Swabia under Edict 13.2. Occupied by the usurper Wolfgang Hummel, 1324.
3^Austria (Duke Arnold - secret heir)
7^Vienna|
7^Prague|Formerly under Count Becker, declared independent from Austria under "Reichsgraf" Becker 1320. Reconciled with Austria, 1336.
7^Zagreb|
7^Venice|Exterminated by Byzantium, 1334.
7^Budapest|Revolted 1318 and sacked by Count Lorenz Zirn, 1320. Taken by Hungary, 1332.
7^Ragusa|
7^Bran|Abandoned 1318. Taken by Hungary, 1326.
7^Bucharest|Seized 1304 by AHA1 & immediately gifted to Austria by Edict 13.3; taken by Hungary 1316
3^Franconia (Duke Peter - heir: Dieter Bresch)
7^Frankfurt|
7^Hamburg|Revolted, 1324. Taken by Denmark, 1326. Recaptured by Fritz von Kastilien, 1334.
7^Thorn|Abandoned 1322.
7^Magdeburg|
7^Stettin|Revolted 1312 & sacked 1316 by Count Fritz von Kastilien. Taken by Denmark, 1330. Saken again by Count Fritz von Kastilien, 1332. Gifted to Russia in exchange for a ceasefire, 1334.
7^Breslau|Taken by Poland, 1328
7^Krakow|Seized 1304 and immediately gifted to Franconia, as per Edict 13.1. Taken by Poland, 1320.
3^Bavaria (Duke Lothar - secret heir)
7^Nuremburg|Loaned to Imperium for use as capital in 1338 until the recapture of Rome.
7^Innsbruck|
7^Bologna|Revolted 1320. Exterminated by Byzantium, 1320.
7^Milan|
7^Genoa|
7^Florence|Taken by Byzantium, 1320.
7^Marseilles|Revolted 1312. Later taken by France.
7^Ajaccio|Abandoned, 1326. Taken by Sicily.
3^Outremer (King Matthias Steffen)
7^Adana|Gifted to Byzantium 1310
7^Acre|Dieter von Kassel made Crusader Count in 1320.
7^Antioch|Gifted to Byzantium 1310 & recaptured by Kaiser Elberhard in 1318. Exterminated by Byzantium, 1336.
7^Edessa|Gifted to Byzantium 1310
7^Damascus|Gifted to Byzantium 1310
7^Aleppo|Gifted to Byzantium 1312 & recaptured by King Jan 1314. Gifted to England, 1326.
3^Imperial (Kaiser Elberhard, heir: Peter von Kastilien)
7^Rome|Exterminated by Byzantines, 1318
7^Caen|Seized by the usurper Prinz Hummel, 1316. Taken by France, 1330.
7^Vilnius|Abandoned, 1300. Taken by Russia, 1326.
7^Constantinople|Sacked and held by the pirate Tancred, 1312. Re-taken by Byzantium, 1320.
7^Naples|Gifted to the Byzantines, 1300
7^Palermo|Gifted to the Byzantines, 1300. Occupied by Dieter von Kassel, 1338.
7^Durazzo|Exterminated by Dietrich von Dassel’s Lutherans, 1314, & revolted 1320. Taken by Venetians, 1320.
7^Antwerp|Sacked by the usurper Hummel, 1328.

The absence of an entry implies that the province remains part of the Reich and is loyal to its Duke.

I would be grateful for any information and corrections you may supply.

Kaiser Elberhard

OOC: This supercedes the province information in the playlist, which is getting out of date but won't be updated until things settle down.

Privateerkev
10-16-2007, 13:34
Dear Kaiser, Dukes, Counts, and Electors,

I hope this letter finds you well. I often sit and wonder how things are going back in Europe. These dark times are an opportunity to pull together. We should stop pointless bickering and fratricidal combat. One day, the crisis will end and we will all have to rebuild together. I hope we can enter the next Diet with more civility and brotherhood, than we left the last one.

I will tell you with great pride that we in Outremer are holding against the mighty Byzantine armies. Even now, we are making plans to re-take Outremer, for the Byzantines have proven to be ill-equipped stewards. The extermination of Rome was the last straw. They need to be driven from our lands. I hope that the pressure we are putting on the Byzantines in Outremer, is helping the Bavarians. Maybe we can force the ERE to spread themselves too thinly.

Good luck and God be with you.

All of you are in my prayers,

Jan

GeneralHankerchief
10-21-2007, 20:55
Fellow Electors, Swabians:

In this time of crisis stability is needed, this much is clear. So far stability has been remarkably nonexistant, and look at what has happened.

The need for it in Swabia is clear. Hans has spent much too much of his time chasing down rogue Electors and trying to build his own legacy instead of focusing on external enemies. He is unfit to rule. The honorable Sir Dietrich von Dassel wishes to relieve him of this post and take command of Swabia himself so that competancy may be restored.

Hans is a cancer to his House and the Reich. While enemies have overrun the frontier, are putting the middle territories in mortal danger, and threatening the heart of the Reich, he instead marches around Swabia intent on killing fellow Germans. This is not the best way to act.

Dietrich von Dassel instead claims the title of Duke of Swabia for himself. With the abdication of Hans, he can then concentrate on driving the French off Imperial lands instead of killing countrymen. If Hans does abdicate, then he and his followers will be allowed to keep their Counties.

Stig
10-21-2007, 21:42
Announcement from Franconia

Today Franconia has given up Thorn, defending it would cost the Reich too much, and as soon as possible we will leave it. We plan on building a new defensive line to defend Stettin and Breslau from attacks, and furthermore we want to gain land against the Danes.
Electors from other Duchies are hereby invited to join an attack against Arhus, to bring down the Danes once and for all.

The Reich should stand strong, it should not have people declaring themselves anything and nothing.

Privateerkev
10-22-2007, 02:47

I hope this letter finds you well. I am proud to tell you that the Crusaders are holding Outremer against heavy odds. Antioch and Aleppo have been relieved of their sieges and the Kaiser has moved south to try to re-take Damascus. I hope the rest of you in the Reich are holding your own against the enemies arrayed against you.

However, some letters that have reached me through the IMS have caused concern.

The announcement by one Dietrich von Dassel to somehow claim the mantle of Duke of Swabia is particularly interesting. He is supposedly doing this to promise stability. How a man who gets the entire Reich excommunicated, can see himself as the purveyor of stability, is quite simply beyond comprehension. Electors only need to look so far as their own counties to see evidence of Dassel's "so called stability" embodied by the massive civil unrest excommunication has brought us. I am sure the thousands that have died from riots and lack of social order will rest easy knowing that Dassel is going to claim being Duke all in the name of stability.

Also of note is Duke Ansehelm's letter where he claims the need to abandon Franconian lands while simultaneously calling for a gigantic offensive against the Danes. Meanwhile his brother, Peter the Pretender, abandons Hamburg to the Danes. While I understand the need to consolidate defensive lines, in order to preserve forces, it makes little sense to then go on separate offensives into the heart of enemy territory. Thousands of our citizens are either caught behind enemy lines, or are under threat of being over-run. I urge the Duke to concentrate on protecting the citizens entrusted to his care and avoid foolhardy offensives that will only waste his resources and put more lives at risk. I also urge the Franconian Counts to take matters into their own hands to protect their people, if Duke Ansehelm refuses the responsibility.

I wish you all luck in protecting those under your care. It is up to us to bring the citizens of the Reich through this dark time. We must not fail. The fate that befell Rome is ample proof of what will happen if we falter.

God be with you,
Jan

AussieGiant
10-22-2007, 13:00
My Lords,

The situation in Austria is still tense.

I write this in light of the recent crushing Lord Zirn, Count Lorenz and Count Karolinger have given the approaching Hungarian's near Budapest.

After two successful night actions I believe we will be able to hold firm at Budapest.

The next phase will be the Venetian attack on Ragusa.

As long as the two nations do not co-ordinate their attacks either by luck or design then I believe Austria can hold on these two fronts.

News of the Outremer victories are certainly heartening given the substantial amount of troops present in the region...we are certainly doing well.

As for Dietrich's proclamation then I am certainly not interested in rehashing the past.

Right now Swabia is in turmoil and anyone that can unite the Duchy will be the most appropriate for the position no matter what the past may have recorded.

At this time I will also publicly state that "count" Becker has separated himself from the Duchy of Austria based loosely on some grievance against the function of House Austria.

I've sent him a note saying that he is under a period of amnesty should he decide to rejoin me and the House he swore allegiance too. If he reconsiders then I will view it as a brief moment of uncertainty given the situation we are facing.

However, and I say this with absolute certainty....at such time as the situation in Austria stabilises I will make a determination as to when this amnesty ends, and when it does there will be a clear choice for him to make.

Anyone aiding or abetting him will fall under the same conditions.

In uncertain times is when you learn about your men and your nobles. Loyalty and trust to me from my nobles and the men I command IS the most important characteristic!! There can be no grey areas.

Duke Arnold of Austria.

Tamur
10-22-2007, 20:36
Count Fritz von Kastilien, dear friend of Odred One-Hand and Haldrich Ring-Thrower, summons all able-bodied mercenaries to join him on the shores of the North Sea in a new and exciting prospect.

Rich plunder, fine women, acres of land for those old enough to wish a farm.

Pay from Fritz' thick coffers and from expeditions soon to be launched. Come now or regret serving elsewhere, you dogs!

Privateerkev
10-23-2007, 09:04

I am happy to hear that the situation in Austria is stabilizing.

However, I find it regrettable that Duke Arnold feels the need to take the opportunity to not only sanction violence against a sitting Duke, but threaten electors over who they politically support.

I will support whom I wish to support without regard to Arnold's threats or temper tantrums. Having years of experience regarding Arnold's anger management problems, I can assure all of you that his bark is much worse than his bite.

If the Dukes wish to maintain the support of their electors, they need to protect their citizens and lead by example, not fear.

God be with you,
Jan

AussieGiant
10-23-2007, 13:06
Nobles of the Reich,

Of course I find Jan's open letter a disgrace to this Realm and a pathetic series of words that mean nothing to anyone with some vital sense of reality.

My attitude towards the self proclaimed separatist Becker is measured and accurate and certainly not something Jan could possibly defend unless he too did not have the best interests of this Riech at heart!!

His sanctioning of Becker’s action is boarding on treason and clearly undermines the Household traditions that have made this Realm what it was and will be in the future.

Of course having no real House himself and clearly showing no sign of respect for the Duchy he belongs too have long been theme's of his rhetoric and constant snipping.

I would certainly recommend Jan remains in Outremer for his entire life as his ability to work with others and generate good will and consensus are sadly lacking. Especially here in the homelands.

My words towards Becker are nothing more than a clear and defined set of parameters for him to make a clear decision. If he chooses to continue his separatist actions against House Austria then my promise is that action will be taken by this House to remedy the situation.

I've never bitten so I am unsure how anyone is able to determine whether my bark is more or less dangerous.

Long Live the Reich!!

Privateerkev
10-23-2007, 14:27

Duke Arnold has made some strong statements. Now, with all of you as my witness, I am going to dare him to back them up. I have been accused of bordering on treason and undermining Household traditions. Clearly, some people have different ideas on what it means to serve their citizens.

Arnold wishes to rule by fear and temper tantrums. I rule by serving and sacrifice.

So, I will now say what Arnold has said so many times in the Diet.

Duke Arnold, you have talked a great deal, now lets see some action. Bring a case of treason against me at the next Diet if you feel so strongly.

As for your bite, I have experienced it and it did not live up to the mythos you have built up for yourself.

The Dukes need to do what is right by their people in these trying times. This is not a time for Arnold to be grasping at power in a desperate attempt to hold onto his pathetic legacy.

God be with you,
Jan

AussieGiant
10-23-2007, 15:44
My Lords,

Essentially Jan has supported a man who is a self proclaimed separatist and someone that has forsaken his oath to me and his Duchy.

That seems a clear case of disloyalty and certainly not something that should be tolerated when the Reich is faced with crisis it has now.

Becker’s actions have directly affected House Austria's ability to defend itself and has resulted in two nobles from other houses providing assistance in these trying times.

How that is defensible is beyond me, and I would regard my handling of the situation as measured and clear.

Jan has on many occasions used guilt by association to validate his arguments. His own methodology would seem to be the best course of explanation as to where my comments are coming from.

I'm not going to back up anything as he requests.

I have no need.

The words he has said will be more than enough for those who wish to see this Reich return to dominance deal with him as they see fit.

I am taking action and the nobles that have remained loyal to me and this Duchy see that every day of their lives.

We are the one’s dying defending Austria.

We are the one’s that have remained firm in this time of crisis.

We are the one’s working together towards a common aim and purpose.

Those in Prague do nothing but worry and build their forces for the inevitable time that is approaching.

Jan’s clear delusion of the situation here in Austria only compounds his complete lack of understanding as to what is happening.

If he so freely wishes to forsake the Duchies and the Dukes and Counts that make them whole then I see a long and lonely time before him.

Long Live the Kaiser. Long Live the Reich.

TinCow
10-23-2007, 23:55
Citizens of the Reich,

I write this letter to formally state that the Duchy of Bavaria is supporting the claim of Sir Dietrich von Dassel to the Duchy of Swabia. I will not attempt to persuade you that Dietrich has some hereditary claim to the title. That is a trick that dishonest men like Hans turn to in order to further their station. Sir Dietrich is not such a disreputable man. Far from it, he acts out of a true love for his people and a desire to see them governed by a man who will truly protect their interests. At this very moment, Dietrich is leading a large army that includes many fine Bavarian soldiers to aid the people of Swabia in their hour of need. I have spent much time with Sir Dietrich in recent months and he has convinced me of his sincerity. I am certain that he will rally the peoples of this broken Duchy and protect them from the ravages of the French armies.

For those of you who doubt his motives, and my own for backing him, I will simply recount the history of recent events as we know them. Dietrich von Dassel has been a true and honest friend of Bavaria from the day he came of age. He was knighted by my own father, Duke Gerhard Steffen, for his actions in defending Marseilles against the French. In more recent times, Sir Dietrich single-handedly defeated a Byzantine army that was threatening Bologna. He did this at a time when he had been disowned by his own Duke and was without lands to call his own. He could have ignored that army that plagued Bavarian lands and marched homewards. Instead he risked his own life and sacrificed much of his strength in a selfless act. As if that was not enough, he then volunteered his men to aid me in the destruction of a second Byzantine army that was blocking my escape from Florence. Without the aid of Sir Dietrich von Dassel, I would not likely be alive today.

In contrast, Hans has consistently demonstrated that he is unfit to rule a County, let alone a Duchy. His first act as a new Elector was to disobey orders and abduct a large group of knights from the First Crusade. He used these knights to gain personal glory against the Hungarians, knowing the entire time that he was putting the very security of the entire Crusade at risk by depriving them of much of their mounted strength. During his time in Outremer, he consistently sought to further his own station at the expense of others. A noble and honorable young Swabian, Jens Hummel, was killed while under the command of Hans in a battle against the Mongols. This was a needless and pointless battle. The Mongols were already broken as a threat to Outremer and more forces could have easily been assembled to defeat their remaining army without risking great bloodshed. However, that would have required that Hans share the glory with another general. Instead, he assaulted the Mongols alone and Jens Hummel paid the ultimate price so that his fellow Swabian could have yet another victory to brag about in the taverns.

In recent times, Hans has been single-handedly responsible for much of the evils that have befallen the Reich. When Peter von Kastilien took the brave and bold decision to march on Constantinople to prevent the atrocity of the ‘unification,’ Hans was the first man to volunteer to stop him. He cared not that it might require the shedding of fellow German blood or that his actions would support the ‘unification’ policy which was destined to destroy the Reich. No, he only marched east with an army and a will to shed the blood of his fellow Germans. As a result, Hans’ own people have clearly and unambiguously demonstrated their distain for his rule. Paris, Dijon, and Metz all rebelled against his authority, more provinces than any other Duchy. Furthermore, his actions have caused two of his own Electors to take up arms against him. Surely this demonstrates that the people desire a new leader.

Therefore, given the honorable manner in which Sir Dietrich has conducted himself, the friendship that Sir Dietrich has consistently shown to Bavaria, and the desire of the Swabian people for a new Duke, I have chosen to give Sir Dietrich the full support of Bavaria in his efforts. I know that under his wise and noble leadership, the Duchy of Swabia will survive and prosper. I urge all Electors to do what they can to aid Sir Dietrich in his noble mission, for the good of Swabia and the Reich.

To those, who wonder why I have given Bavarian resources to a Swabian when my own Duchy is so desperately in need, I say this: While Bavaria is itself beset with enemies from all sides, I simply cannot turn a blind eye to the plight of good German peoples, no matter which Duchy they call home. Count Friedrich Karolinger is already serving to aid Austria in the east and now Sir Dietrich von Dassel will receive Bavarian support in the west. Duke Ansehelm is doing a remarkable job defending Franconia, but should he find himself truly in need, Bavaria will aid him. We Bavarians will find a way to defend our lands and aid our neighbours at the same time, even if it puts own own lives at risk. We will not abandon our friends, even when times are hard for us. It is only through such common bonds of friendship and cooperation that we can hope to live through these dark times. As yet another demonstration of the good-will of Bavaria, I hereby pledge to the entire Reich that I will personally liberate Rome and restore it to the Kaiser, or I will die trying.

Praise God!
Long live the Reich!

Lothar Steffen
Duke of Bavaria

GeneralHankerchief
10-24-2007, 22:22
Fellow Electors,

I thank Duke Lothar for his continued support and generosity. If the rest of us showed the same spirit of cooperation then we would have our enemies beaten back in no time and concentrate on the betterment of the Reich's people.

Sadly, this is not the case. Duke Hans has failed to reply to my claim despite both inside and outside support. Therefore, I offer him an ultimatum:

Renounce your claim to Swabia. Agree to appoint me as Duke. I will grant leniency and amnesty to you and your supporters. I will even name you Count of Staufen, despite it being the Swabian capital, in recognition of your long service to the Reich and Swabia.

You have twenty-four hours to respond. Otherwise action that I do not wish to take will be taken. Please act for the good of the people of Swabia, Hans. I will not be this lenient again.

Electors, my priority is to keep Swabia united and powerful. I want to kill the French, not good Germans. I did not wish for the situation to come to this but in the long run I must do what is best for the people.

Signed,
Dietrich von Dassel

FactionHeir
10-24-2007, 23:06
Duke Hans of Swabia wishes to extend his greetings to the noble Counts and Dukes, and of course the honorable King of the Levant and Emperor of our Holy Roman Empire.

He feels that at this time, there is no need to reply to the ramblings of overconfident rebels and cutthroats who wish to bring another dark age over the empire.

However, in his wisdom, and belief, that no more blood of Swabian descent should be spilt than absolutely necessary, he graciously will accept the surrender of Wolfang Hümmel and Dietrich von Dassel, if they will lay down arms instead of inciting further infighting and civil wars, and allow them to use their forces to fight the French alongside the loyal and true Swabians.

If however, they feel the urge and craving for Swabian blood, the Duke regretfully will see no choice but to respond in equal measure.

In addition, Duke Hans of Swabia is most displeased at Duke Lothar of Bavaria's actions and wishes to warn Bavaria that their lack of faith and support of rebellion will not soon be forgotten.

TinCow
10-30-2007, 04:14
Edmund Becker and Other Rebellious Knaves,

The Duchy of Bavaria will not tolerate exploitation of her lands by non-Bavarians at any time, let alone in these dark days. I formally demand that Edmund Becker return the wealth he has stolen from Nuremburg to me personally and swear to keep his citizens from commiting such crimes ever again. It is clear to all that I cannot spare the time to march north and deal with the matter personally, but this period of crisis will not last forever. If all Bavarian properly is not returned to me by the end of the year, I shall extract it from Edmund Becker's hide with my bare hands... plus interest. It may take a few years, but that will only give me more time to devise unpleasant methods of repossession.

Lothar Steffen
Duke of Bavaria

Cecil XIX
10-30-2007, 05:48
Electors of the Reich,

I apologize, deeply and profusely, for what has happened as a result of my orders. My intentions were for my men to legally purchase goods and materials from the surrounding lands, and I had even hoped that some of the taxes and tariffs would go to the coffers of my fellow nobles.

My men have given me nothing that I requested, but have instead stolen from my countrymen. Were I not in a position to make things right, I would second Duke Lothar's proclamation. Instead, I will return to Dukes Arnold, Lothar, and Peter double what was stolen. Each of these men have a much greater need for soldiers than I. I will also release those responsible into the custody of those they have wronged, namely the same Dukes.

Let no one doubt my intentions, for it is not my will to contribute to this chaos.

Sincerely,
Edmund Bece

AussieGiant
10-30-2007, 09:44
Becker!!

It seems as if the actions of your merchants are beyond your control!!

Apologies all you want but the effects are the same. Three Duchies are now temporarily affected this year while this mess is sorted out.

The timing could not be worse and the Duke's in question have already sent me notes of displeasure.

I don't know what your playing at, but if you think that by yourself you can defend against Polish and Hungarian forces then you are delusional.

Why don't you send an observer to some of the battles being fought outside Budapest to gauge for yourself how our professional troops, commanded by some of the Reich's greatest General are fairing!!??

End this separation before you bring down Austria and yourself in one foul moment of selfishness!

I promise you Becker, when I decide the amnesty is over you will have one chance to reconcile before military action is taken.

Duke Arnold

Tamur
10-30-2007, 17:34
To the electors of the Reich:

I have received word from a reputable source that King Jan has foully abandoned Outremer, bound for the Reich's unstable centre, with malignant intent. My informant whispered many rumours of Jan's whereabouts but these are unfounded at present.

I urge all electors to keep watch on their troops, their territories, and their coffers. King Jan should be treated as a criminal! We must apprehend him at the first opportunity and bring him to trial when the Diet next convenes.

Fritz von Kastilien

AussieGiant
10-31-2007, 10:22
My Lords,

Word has reached me from Budapest.

Lord Zirn has defeated another Hungarian force in a night action.

I'm also please to announce that Johann Zirn has been knighted due to his skill and bravery on the field of battle.

On a more sour note I have heard that Becker is pleading a case to help defend Breslau on behalf House Franconia.

I'd urge Duke Peter to avoid dealing with the separatist as he can clearly not be trusted and must not be dealt with as an equal of any station.

Clearly Becker is feeling the adverse affects of sitting around watching Austrian nobles with assistance from Franconia and Bavaria make the sacrifices that HE should be making for his Duchy!!

Duke Arnold

Privateerkev
11-08-2007, 18:20
My fellow Germans,

This letter is being sent to every settlement in the Reich, as well as every noble.

I come to you in a time of great peril to ask you for your help. Events are going on in Europe that I can not ignore any longer. First off, let me introduce myself.

I am Jan von Hamburg, son of Fredericus von Hamburg. Veteran of the Second and Third Crusades. King of Outremer for 44 years. I have spent my adult life defending the Holy Lands and protecting a Papal Jerusalem. I have served the Reich, the Kaiser, and the Lord faithfully. And I am not happy.

I am not happy because I see a Reich torn apart by religious division. I watched as Alexander Luther poisoned the minds of many good people. One of them is Dietrich von Dassel who, with Luther at his side, murdered Pope Abbate, exterminated the city of Durazzo, and got the entire Reich excommunicated.

I have recently learned that my nephew has aggressively negotiated with the Papacy in order to get us reconciled. Now it is time for his uncle to finish the job. I intend to confront Dassel and Luther and bring them both to justice. Why such a strong stance against these two individuals you ask?

Because they represent a particularly violent strain of Lutheranism. Alexander Luther advocates violence, as even a cursory glance of On The Byzantines and Their Lies will show. Dassel has proven particularly malleable and receptive of these teachings, as his past brutal actions have shown.

Now this is not intended to alarm Lutherans who have remained peaceful. Nor those who loyally serve the Reich. But Lutherans who rebel against their fellow Germans need to be shown the full weight of the law. As a member of the Diet, I can assure you that your leadership saw the Lutheran menace coming. And we did nothing. We were afraid. Or we did not find it politically expedient. Duke Lothar and Duke Arnold could have done more to stop Dassel from killing the Holy Father but they refused, for their own reasons.

From among the Dukes, only Duke Hans has remained a loyal Catholic through all of this. And it is Duke Hans that is in most need of help. For Dassel and Luther have now set their sights on the Swabian Duchy. Afraid of what will happen to him at the next Diet, Dassel has decided to make himself above the law by usurping the Ducal throne. While Dassel is currently under siege in Bern, I do not believe that Duke Hans can take the city without horrible losses.

This is unacceptable. I intend to immediately join in the Swabian Civil War on the side of Duke Hans, rightful and legal Duke of Swabia. And I need your help. I need an army of Catholics to help me save the Reich from violent Lutheranism. I know you are out there, a silent majority. I know you are scared and discontent. I know you crave leadership.

Well, I am here to give you that leadership. I have left everything I cared for, a job I swore an oath to, and a duty I dedicated my life to, in order to come here and serve you. For I believe this is the struggle of our time. And I believe it is time that we all let it be known where we stand. And I stand on the side of God.

It was hoped by your leaders, that this whole Lutheran thing was just a phase and would blow over. Or, that everyone could co-exist peacefully. But, events in Donauwörth have proven that the more violent elements of Lutheranism will not let that happen. Since they can not gain primacy as the one true interpretation of the Word, they are instead trying to usurp political power.

So I put out a call. To all of the faithful. To the masses. To the veterans of our past great Crusades. To the Teutonic Order. To anyone who wishes for this darkness to end. Join me!

Together we can steer the Reich in a better direction.

Catholic Soldiers of the Reich, Unite!!!

GeneralHankerchief
11-11-2007, 04:23
A lone arrow is shot out from the besieged city of Bern one day. Attached to it is a short message, quickly spread and reproduced throughout the Reich. It simply reads:

I'm waiting.

OverKnight
11-11-2007, 06:09
Reward Offered

Let it be known to all citizens of the Reich that I, Matthias Steffen, seek the return of the Crown of Thorns to its proper place, the guardianship of the Kings of Outremer.

The Crown was last known to be in possession of Jan von Hamburg, but it is rumored that he sold the Crown to finance his unexpected flight to Europe. It is unfortunate that such a holy relic has been treated with such base and callous disregard for its sanctified history.

To right this wrong I offer a reward for the Crown of Thorns. The party who purchased the Crown is encouraged to come forward, they will be well compensated for its return.

Matthias Steffen

gibsonsg91921
11-15-2007, 02:45
I, Peter von Kastilien will make it known that if, in life, my is unable to serve my Duchy of Franconia as Duke, my older brother Fritz von Kastilien will take up the charge. Upon my death, the younger Dieter Bresch shall become Duke.

Also, Franconia is in dire need and nearing extinction. We have not the manpower to defend ourselves and are overrun with Poles, Danes, and rebels. We have lost territory. All Electors are invited and strongly encouraged to help defend the northland. We understand that all Duchies are beleaguered, thus any who provide assistance will not be forgotten in happier times. Also, any and all able-bodied armed men heed my call! We need troops to fill our ranks and protect ourselves! Fight for honor and glory and the salvation of the Reich!

econ21
11-18-2007, 14:01
AN END TO HOSTILITIES

I, Kaiser Elberhard, do hereby call upon all Electors in the Reich to immediately CEASE and DESIST from any hostile actions against each other.

NO German soldier is authorised to attack another German solider.

ANY general ordering such an attack will be regarded as a TRAITOR.

With the death of my dear brother, Hans, and the heroic fall of the ex-King of Outremer, Jan von Hamburg, we must call an end to this infighting. There must be an immediate CEASEFIRE.

Electors, our enemies are not at the gate. They are battering down the @#$%^&!!!ing gate and exterminating our civilian folk! Franconia is imploding and Swabia self-destructing. The Byzantines run amok around North Italy and Austria is in retreat. Everywhere, zealots and agitators challenge proper legal authority! We must stand together against these external and internal threats. Any disagreements between us must be resolved peacefully and under a process of law.

I am about to sail home. The journey will be long, but I am to make landfall in 1340. I will then reconvene the Diet. I call upon all Electors to put aside their grievances and let that Diet adjudicate on all disputes.

Specifically:

Athalwolf von Salza: I recognise you as the appointed heir to the Duchy of Swabia. But I call upon you to take no further offensive action against the "Principality of Swabia" unless it attacks you first.

Wolfgang von Hummel: If you will desist from any attacks on loyalist Swabian settlements or armies, I will recognise you as the temporary lord of Antwerp, Bruges, Caen and any other settlements you take from our enemies (the French, the Danes, rebels etc). The long term status of Swabia and the "Principality of Swabia" will be decided at the next Diet through peaceful negotation and proper Charter Amendments.

Duke Arnold: I understand your grievance over the secession of Prague, but I ask that you take no military action against Count Becker unless he attacks you first.

Count Becker: If you refrain from any attacks on Austrians, I recognise you as the temporary lord of Prague. The long term status of Prague will decided at the next Diet.

I ask the above Electors, and all others with internal grievances, to reflect on the lessons of Bern and to follow the path of peace and law.

Kaiser Elberhard.

Cecil XIX
11-19-2007, 03:08
I, Reichsgraf Becker, hereby proclaim that I will obey the Kaiser's decree. I will never attack my fellow Imperials, nor will I enter their lands with my armies without first receiving their permission. I swear this to each and every Elector of the Reich, as well as to the Lord himself.

Warluster
11-19-2007, 06:49
I recognise the Kaiser's wish, and for the meanwhile, the Duchy of Swabia recognises the Duchy of Flanders. We shall not fight any more Germans except when attacked.

Ignoramus
11-19-2007, 09:16
I am interested in you overtures, von Salza.

If you are serious in your offer, you must agree to meet allow me safe conduct to meet with you on the bridge over the River Rhone.

I swear by mein honour, mein faith, and mein Gott, that I will not enter the city of Metz. If I break this oath, I call upon mein men to slay me for being untrue to mein word.

I also swear by the same to meet you in peace and not to engage you in battle.

I hope that this may be the means to peace in Swabia so that we not have internal struggles cripple our resistance to the French.

Wolfgang Hummel,
Prinz of Swabia.

AussieGiant
11-19-2007, 12:36
Kaiser Elberhard,

I will certainly abide by your wishes, as I would never show any disloyalty towards you or the position you hold.

I will continue to ask Lord Becker to rejoin the Duchy in these dark times and try and stem the tide against the Polish and Hungarian armies together.

It is only together that Austria will be able to defend itself in these desperate time. Separated as we are now will only accelerate the breakdown of the Reich's eastern front.

God speed to you all and may your swords arms strike true my fellow nobles!!

Duke Arnold

Ramses II CP
11-19-2007, 21:21
Sent by means of the widest possible distribution available to every sizeable town and city in and around the Reich:

Reward

For any information leading to the discovery of Alexander Luther, doubled for any who aid him in reaching me, Fritz von Kastilien, Scourge of Stockholm, in Franconia.

In this time of troubles all monies promised must be claimed in person upon verification of said information or recovery of Luther.

Zim
11-19-2007, 21:29
In the spirit of cooperation with our Frankish friends to the east of my city, I would like it known that if I find Luther, I will comply with the wishes of Fritz von Kastilien.

I also wish it known that I will help in any repelling of the Danes in their attack upon our sister Duchy, if I have the resources.

Jan von der Pfalz,
Count of Antwerp.

econ21
11-20-2007, 10:11
IMPERIAL SUCCESSION

I, Kaiser Elberhard, do hereby name PETER VON KASTILIEN as my successor as Kaiser of the Holy Roman Empire and its present Prinz.

The passing of my beloved brother has reminded me of my own mortality and also of the perils of an absence of central authority. As I set sail for Europe, I cannot leave Outremer without first naming my successor should anything ill befall me.

All Electors know that I regarded Peter von Kastilien as a rebel, a traitor and a warmonger. I do not pretend that those differences did not exist or that we now think as one mind. However, the infamy of the Byzantines in exterminating Rome and Bologna have removed the main cause of disagreement - our opinion of the character of those "people".

But Peter von Kastilien committed one act that redeemed him in my eyes - he surrendered. Yes, it may seem a strange deed to prize in a war leader, the ability to surrender. But rather than sacrifice German blood in a fratricidal battle, Peter von Kastilien surrendered to Imperial authority when intercepted on his march to Constantinople.

He showed the same self-restraint later when he marched on Metz. He was in a position to decisively swing the civil war in Swabia, but he merely reasserted proper authority over the city and turned back to his Franconia to battle our external enemies. Whatever enmity he felt towards my late brother was over-ridened by his desire to keep the Reich strong and whole.

I believe the strength of character that Peter has shown makes him ideally placed to be Prinz and future Kaiser. As does, perversely, his political opposition to me earlier in my reign. I know many of you, like Peter, have disagreed with my decisions in the past. By appointing Peter Prinz, I hope to signal my wish for the Reich to forget old differences and work together a fresh.

As Duke of Franconia, Peter already has considerable authority among many of our Electors. His pointed neutrality in the Swabian conflict should make him acceptable to the feuding Electors there. And I believe neither Austria nor Bavaria has ill feeling towards him.

I will be setting sail within the year and will be out of communication. Peter as Prinz will represent Imperial interests and authority in my absence. I urge all Electors to show him the respect and deference his new position commands.

We are coming to the end of a trying time. I am sad that I cannot immediately join in your trials and I wish you every success. Fight hard, but fight wisely. Learn from the example of Bern and above all SURVIVE. When I make landfall, we will set about reconvening the Diet and when we work together the situation may radically improve. Until then, hang in and don't let the @#$%^&!!!ers bring you down!

Kaiser Elberhard

AussieGiant
11-20-2007, 12:29
Kaiser,

Before you leave Outremer, I'd suggest landing a reconnaissance party before sending in the full army and exposing yourself. I'd say the only southern port under our rule when you arrive will be Ragusa, and even that I can not guarantee.

Duke Arnold.

gibsonsg91921
11-22-2007, 16:14
A Message from Peter von Kastilien:

I accept the role of Prinz during these troubled times. However, in honor of the challenge imposed upon myself and indirectly by my late friend Jan von Hamburg, I shall never refer to myself as Prinz, or Duke, or eventually, hopefully after many years, Kaiser, but still serve the functions dutifully.

Also, Peter von Kastilien offers amnesty to the "Principality of Swabia," all of its inhabitants, Wolfgang Hummel, Jan von der Pfalz, and Ludwig von Bohmen. The "Principality" shall become the Duchy of Flanders, effectively creating a fifth House to our noble Reich. To obtain this grace, they must not attack a single loyal member of the Holy Roman Empire ever again, as Kaiser Elberhard has dictated.

Upon the next Diet session, should the Reich return to normality in time for its scheduled occurence in 1340, its members must swear loyalty to the Reich and to the Kaiser. Wolfgang Hummel must also apologize to Duke Athalwolf von Salza of Swabia for attacking his men to become Duke of Flanders. Should he fail to do so, he forfeits control of the Duchy and can never be its Duke. Upon apology, Wolfgang Hummel will be the first Duke of Flanders.

At the next Diet session, the Duchy of Flanders shall officially be granted Bruges, its capital, Antwerp, and Caen, when it is returned to Imperial hands. It will function from then on like any other historical House of the Reich.

Yours,

Peter von Kastilien

GeneralHankerchief
11-27-2007, 04:42
A message to the Electors of the Reich, from Alexander Luther

I am alive. I have fled the terrible Battle of Bern, survived, and am currently located far from the ravages of war. Do not try to find me. It would be a folly to do so, and frankly, there are better things that all of you could be doing.

From my hideout I have observed the Reich suffer greatly. As you all have probably surmised, we are in trouble; in danger of falling. We may blame this on whomever we wish - my personal grievances still lie with Kaiser Siegfried and his harebrained policy of reunification with the blaspheming Byzantines - but at this point it is like locking the stable door after the horse has left the barn. We're here, and we must deal with it.

I admit that I am at least partially to blame for the situation we find ourselves in at the moment. While I have only been teaching the Word of the Lord, my teachings have been quite un...Orthodox, no pun intended. At times my followers have done more than I have advocated, namely the destruction of the various churches and their participation in the War of Reformation that currently stews, both at Donauworth and elsewhere.

The whole point of Lutheranism is to see the people of the world have a more individual relationship with the Lord; to interact with Him on a more personal level. I was always against the idea of some Papal shaman or Byzantine Patriarch handing out orders made up out of nowhere. What makes him so special that only he can communicate with the Lord? No one's faith should have to depend on others. Yet, I fear that this is exactly the path we are embarking on. Unless a miracle happens, the Reich's people will forever doomed to be ruled by other, inferior Europeans, and will be made to listen to some French Pope or Greek Patriarch. Then, we are all doomed, in this life as well as the next.

One of the many things I learned at Bern was my ability to recruit an army, and quickly. The error was using that army against fellow Germans. Dietrich von Dassel, God rest his soul, claimed that the sooner he united Swabia, the sooner he could focus on driving out the enemy but the war just kept on going. I figure I can still raise an army. I figure that, if I, a religious leader, attach myself to another one of the Holy Roman Empire's mighty generals, legions of religious folk ready to defend their country and their faith to the end will quickly rise up and assist in defeating the invaders.

I offer myself up to you. Any general that wants me can have me. Send a message via this Service; it will reach me. I will then contact you privately.

However, I am not stupid. I will not go to those who have fought against Lutherans in the past in the name of Catholicism or the supporters of Hans, who sought to have me burned at the stake. I must be reasonably certain of your good intentions: namely, to use me to help recruit people to drive out the invaders and reclaim the Reich. If you use me and my men against fellow Germans, I will leave, as will my men. I have already survived one terrible battle that pitted German against German, and have no desire to see another one. Also, be advised that my presence will probably anger Catholics in the area and the War of Reformation may intensify where I am at.

I want the Reich united. I want the Reich strong again. At this point I will do anything to help. In 1340 at the Diet Session I will be present and negotiate with Kaiser Elberhard, probably the leading Catholic figure in the Reich now, to end the terrible War of Reformation eating us all, should he wish to receive me. These negotiations will be, of course, public.

Remember, if you desire my services, use the Imperial Messenger Service. It will get to me.

God save you all.

Zim
11-27-2007, 05:16
From Count Jan van der Pfalz, to Alexander Luther,

Your intention to use your considerable influence to help drive out the foreingers from the Reich intrigues me.

I am the newly appointed Count of Antwerp. Although I support my Prinz Wolfgang Hummel in his conflicts with other Germans, the task appointed to me by him is to drive the foreigners from Flanders. Bruges has already fallen to the French, while neighboring Franconia is threatened by the Danes. My intent is to drive both out of Imperial lands.

Things are grim in my lands, with foreign enemies on both borders. I lack the wealth and resources to raise an army capable of beating back the French and Danes, but am a capable general. If you wish put your abilities to use against the enemies that threaten the Reich, I would be honored if you would join with me in that task.

If this sounds good to you, please contact me,
Count Jan von der Pfalz

Ramses II CP
11-27-2007, 05:50
Along the same distribution as previous:

Reward rescinded for information leading to the location of Alexander Luther. Cease all such efforts immediately, no profit can come from them.

Fritz von Kastilien, Scourge of Stockholm

To Luther:

Franconia would welcome your assistance in these troubled times Father Luther. Know that where I, Fritz von Kastilien, am present you are both welcome, safe, and guaranteed to see no battles against men of the Reich. Franconia has been under heavy assault by the forces of the so called Catholic Alliance and I hope to be the spearhead that breaks that alliance and reveals it for the thin, petty sham we all know it is. Come here and serve under my Duke and brother, Peter, and we will bring the word of God to the ears of the people even as we bring the sword of truth down on the foreign oppressors of the Reich!

I know you will hunger to serve against the Byzantines to repay them for their foul lies, but they are not leading armies against the heart of the Holy Roman Empire and their defeat will not secure our homelands. What we need, more even than your ability to call up faithful men at arms, is your command of truth in the spoken word. Something must shatter the bonds that let Danes, Poles, Frenchmen, Venetians, Russians, and Byzantines all turn aside from their ordinairy mutually destructive behavior and unite against us.

I believe your words and a revelation of the depths of Byzantine treachery may well be the best weapon you could weild.

I look forward to welcoming you to Franconia!

Fritz von Kastilien

:egypt:

Privateerkev
11-27-2007, 06:47
To Alexander Luther,

This is Alfgarda von Hamburg, wife of Jan von Hamburg. If you are truly interested in helping the Reich, then taming the tensions you helped exacerbate would be more useful then stirring them more.

I could invoke my late husband's name and try to raise an army as well. But I have learned from my husband's mistakes where you have not seemed to have learned from yours.

I am saddened at how quick some are willing to take you up on your offer of exacerbating religious tension.

If you truly have the interest of the Reich at heart, then I implore you to use your considerable influence to calm down your followers, instead of raising an army. I pledge to do the same with Catholics. Together we might actually be able to do some good.

Both parties in this religious conflict could not help but take notice if you and I joined forces. So, I do call upon you to join me. Not to make war, but to make peace.

Sincerely,
Alfgarda von Hamburg

AussieGiant
11-27-2007, 07:16
Arnold:

It is clear to me that the role of the Church as it relates to this Empire workings must be discussed at great lengths whenever this Reich reconvene's, no matter how religious a man maybe.

Without a shadow of a doubt the Nobles of this Holy Roman Empire are fully aware of the benefits and catastrophic negatives involved with allowing religion to affect or influence Imperial control.

I recommend ALL religious or quasi religious groups and or representatives to cease and desist from using the Imperial Messenger Service for any communications of any kind.

Any further responses or comments by religious representatives SHOULD BE STRUCK immediately from the records and not be disseminated!!!

RoadKill
11-28-2007, 03:47
Lorenz Zirn:

I would like to propose something for all of the empire. As you all can see we have been losing more and more provinces to our enemies. These losses are blows to our empire, blows we can not take, and blows that will soon destroy us.

Austria is a great example of these losses, we will not stand here and watch our kingdom slowly fall apart. It was their victories, but now it shall be our victories. It is time, my fellow generals to bring the fight to their nation. We must not stay in our own provinces and protect them. We must assualt their settlements and take back what is rightfully ours. So I ask of all the Dukes out there to build their armies and strengths and attack our enemies in their own nation, and not sit here in our own nation and watch us crumble.

Warluster
11-28-2007, 09:01
To all Loyal Germans,

You may have heard, but the traitor Wolfgang Hummel recently ignored a plea from the Kaiser. This is treason! I call upon any Loyal German, be that Franconian, Bavarian, Austrian or Bohemian, to raise arms against any Rebel soldiers.

They have killed and wounded loyal Germans, and recently, under a direct violation of Kaiser's word, attacked a Loyal German province of Staufen. So I, DUke of Swabia, send a plead to all Houses of Loyal Germany to vansquish these traitors, and that all past diffrences are forgotten.

Athalwolf von Salza,
Duke of Swabia,

Cecil XIX
11-29-2007, 06:42
Let it be known that I have reached a reconciliation with the Duchy of Austria, pending the convening of the Diet.

Ignoramus
11-29-2007, 06:46
His excellency, Wolgang Hummel, Prinz of Swabia, extends a full amnesty and pardon to all the loyalist Swabians.

He also exhorts both the Lutherans and the Catholics to cease fighting, as they are allowing the honourless French to plunder Swabian land.

Zim
11-30-2007, 06:19
A message to the Electors of the Reich, from Jan von der Pfalz and Fritz von Kastilien

Fellow electors,

I come bearing a message from Count Fritz von Kastilien and me.

These past years have seen the Reich torn apart by religious and political differences. My own House, Swabia, has been particularly troubled, losing its two greatest leaders in the Battle of Bern. Franconia has only just recently attained some measure of stability, and still faces many Danish forces. The other two Houses have also faced difficulties, being forced to retreat or hold a line well behind their former borders. All have lost territories.

Most of you probably know that Alexander Luther, the man who participated in the Battle of Bern by raising a Lutheran army to counter Hans’ Loyalist army, has decided to put aside religious differences and use his considerable abilities to face the Reich’s external enemies.

There are many differences between Lutherans and Catholics, and we cannot pretend that all of them are easily solvable. However, the main conflict of unification, which first divided the sides, is a dead issue. The Reich now faces destruction at the hands of external foes. Now is the time to unite against them. Religious differences can be worked out after the Reich is no longer under the threat of extinction.

While Count Fritz von Kastilien drives the Danes from Franconia, Father Luther and I are dedicating ourselves to driving foreign invaders from the beleaguered House of Swabia. If the armies of Swabia are united, we can defeat our French foes. Otherwise, we will be defeated piecemeal. I would implore all the leaders of Swabia to forget their differences temporarily and come together against this threat to our very existence. My Lord Hummel has declared himself willing to do so. I strongly hope the other leaders of Swabia would as well.

Remember, fellow Electors, the Reich is the one true source of civilization in Europe. If we let it be destroyed it will mean a dark age across the face of the world. We cannot let this happen.

OOC: Written with input from the players of both Jan von der Pfalz and Fritz von Kastilien

deguerra
12-02-2007, 03:31
https://img229.imageshack.us/img229/93/jan4jq8.png (https://imageshack.us)

Grafen, Herzöge, König von Outremer, mein Kaiser,

I am deeply saddened to announce the death of my friend and ally Jan von der Pfalz, who died valiantly in battle.

I have had the pleasure of knowing Jan for only a very few years, as he and I entered into Prinz Hummel's service at the same time. Graf Jan had the graciousness not only to allow me to stay with him in Antwerp while my own county was besieged, but to vow to retake my county at the first opportunity.

Working closely together with him, we devised several plan for defeating the French army in the field, but were surprised when our allies, the faithful English made a landing and besieged Bruges themselves. Immediately seizing upon this opportunity, Graf Jan took his own army and lay siege to the city.

The assault was ferocious, and our English allies fought bravely, but were eventually routed by the firm resistance of some French knights. Unfortunately, Jan's Flemish fared little better, so in order to rally his troops and save the day, Jan charged into the French himself turning the tide and winning the battle.

However, I regain possession of the city only at the cost of my friend, as Jan was thrown from his horse and killed in the very last moments of the battle. I am unsure that I have gained more than I have lost this day. The Lord truly works in mysterious ways sometimes, and it is not my place to question his hold over life and death.

But Jan was my friend and I pray that he is recevied in the Kingdom of Heaven with open arms and exhaulted for his brave deeds, his honour, his kindness and his courage.

Ludwig von Böhmen, Graf von Brugge

Ramses II CP
12-02-2007, 07:04
Jan von der Pfalz will be missed, but his death should serve as a clarion call to the remaining nobles of the Reich. Ours is not only a position of entitlement and glory, but also of service and duty. Jan's service to Sir Hummel does him great credit, and the manner of his death in a brutal battle against the vile French invader is inspiring.

I must again echo the call Jan put out shortly before his death for all Germans to set aside their differences and turn their anger outward, at the foreigners who would sack our cities and destroy the light of civilization that the Reich represents! Are we a pack of dogs squabbling over the scraps of an Empire, or are we the builders of a new, greater realm?

Don't send me letters in answer, send me the heads of your foes!

Goodbye Jan von der Pfalz. You died well, with the blood of your enemies on your sword and your army marching to victory! I pray that I may someday find so honorable an end.

Fritz von Kastilien

gibsonsg91921
12-02-2007, 23:38
I, PETER VON KASTILIEN, declare that the infighting of the Holy Roman Empire must immediately cease and desist.

Wolfgang Hummel, by seizing Staufen you have violated the terms of Elberhard's decree and my offer. One day there may be a Duchy of Flanders, but you may never be its Duke while I draw breath.

Duke Lothar Steffen of Bavaria - tend to your lands my "old friend" and do not interfere with the Swabian Civil War anymore. You are in enough trouble with the Greeks as it is - sending armies to fight Athalwolf in support of Wolfgang will leave Bavaria in a state of chaos. You are lucky to have not met your end at their hands yet.

Any further acts of aggression by a German upon another German will have swift retribution against the aggressive party. I do not want civil war, but I will not shy away from the option in the face of disloyalty.

Ignoramus
12-03-2007, 00:02
I, Wolfgang Hummel, openly flout the authority of Peter von Kastilien. I respect the authority of the Kaiser, but not that of a Luthern Duke who has betrayed his faith.

gibsonsg91921
12-03-2007, 00:14
A Lutheran Duke who has betrayed his faith, says Wolfgang. One can be a Lutheran and not a fool. I attacked Constantinople in a time of relative safety for Franconia for the salvation of the Holy Roman Empire. I do not attack my brethren wantonly.

However, if you will flout my authority and slay your kin, you will my swept aside.

TinCow
12-03-2007, 00:30
An Open Letter to Péter von Kastilien, Duke of Franconia, from Lothar Steffen, Duke of Bavaria,

It is a pleasure to hear from you again, Péter. These trying times have kept all noble-born Electors from enjoying the pleasure of each others' company. I hope to see you again in person soon, and to congratulate you on your new title of Prinz.

My "old friend" advises me not to interfere in the Swabian Civil War. I swear here and now that I would never do anything that Duke Péter von Kastilien would not do himself. Fortunately, Duke Péter has seen fit to take sides in this war. He personally led an army to the aid of Duke Hans. I am thus pleased that my actions in providing military aid have followed in the example of my own esteemed colleague. I note too that Duke Péter and I are not the only ones who have "interfered" in Swabia. Two other highly placed men have done so in the past. King Jan von Hamburg, may he rest in peace, sent wealth, raised an army, and personally fought for Duke Hans, though it was not his place nor his war. Furthermore Kaiser Elberhard himself sent Duke Hans a great deal of wealth, far more than I have sent to Wolfgang Hummel. As our Kaiser is clearly infallible, so must I be in this situation.

I am pleased that Duke Péter provides me with guidance on an issue that is so close and dear to his heart. Perhaps in the future he would listen to some words of wisdom that I could impart to him. For example, should I meet Duke Péter in person, I would tell him that accusing a fellow Duke of meddling in Swabian affairs is an unwise thing; especially when that Duke possess original copies of letters from Duke Péter to a certain, now deceased, Swabian rebel. While I am sure that there is a logical explanation for the contents of these letters that has nothing whatsoever to do with aiding an active rebellion against Duke Hans, perhaps less intelligent men would think otherwise in reading them.

Many thanks for your kind words, Duke Péter. Please write again soon.

Lothar Steffen
Duke of Bavaria

gibsonsg91921
12-03-2007, 00:40
To all of the Reich:

I have made it clear to you all that I have opposed Duke Hans, Kaiser Elberhard, and the letters Lothar refers to regard to my opinion that Hans should be slain for the betterment of the Reich. Of course, since then, I have learned to rise above petty immaturity, which my dearest brother Lothar has failed to do. He may be six months younger than me physically, but he's fresh out of the womb mentally.

AussieGiant
12-03-2007, 01:46
Lords of the Reich:

Please be aware, the situation between Lord Becker and myself has been resolved to the satisfaction of both parties.

Lord Becker and Prague will remain autonomous until the beginning of the next Diet session. At which time Lord Becker will rejoin the Duchy as a respected and loyal member of the House.

The issue is resolved as far as the rest of the Reich should be concerned.

May I suggest everyone involving themselves in this Civil war refrain from provoking and antagonising the situation further. It's become somewhat like watching siblings fighting over a new sword.

Duke Arnold

deguerra
12-07-2007, 01:57
An Open Proclamation:

I hear with some sadness the news of the death of Wolfgang Hummel at the sally at Swabia. My Prinz and I did not always see eye to eye, but in the end he was an honourable man and should be remebered as such.

In his honour, I wish to end this war. I believe myself to be the last remaining Swabian Graf who once fought for Hummel. I desire to fight no more. I wish to negotiate fully with Herzog von Salza privately, but I pledge here and now that I will not take to arms against him, and should our negotiations go as planned, will swear fealty to him.

The Bible teaches us to love our brothers, and it is time we embrace that teaching again. The Reich is threatened so greatly from outside forces that we can ill afford to continue this incessant infighting.

May the Lord take Wolfgang Hummel in kindness, and may he hold a benevolent hand over the peace that I hope to establish here this day.

Ludwig von Bohmen, Graf von Brugge

Warluster
12-07-2007, 07:38
A Proclamation from the Duchy of Swabia:

The Civil War which has raged over through Swabia, is now over. It has lasted for 10 Years, and ravaged destruction and the demise of many fine souls. It ended with the unfortunate death of Wolfgang Hummel.

Swabia wishes the end of this War was not as gruesome, with only one of the original generals still alive. Swabia, while not going into mourning, will still sorry over Wolfgang's death and wish it would've resulted in capture.

But we move on already, and I have chosen to accept Ludwig von Bohmen's terms of surrender. This involves him taking a oath to join the Duchy of Swabia, and giving him the title of Count of Bruges. With Swabia back to some four Generals, we shall now take several years to recover.

We also wish for all those involved with helping Wolfgang to come forward, and inform us on some things.

Duke von Salza,

Ramses II CP
12-07-2007, 18:00
(OOC: Consider this as going out in early 1338, just getting a little jump on things. Obviously just PM me to add your name if so desired.)

Distributed to every German settlement and noble of consequence, barring those at sea:

Nobles of the Reich, while our enemies have been unified by the folly of unification we have, until recently, been quite divided over the same issue and it's consequences. The time has come to end our disunity and to dissolve the overwhelming political and financial support which has allowed our enemies to devote so many resources and armies to our destruction. I have a modest proposal towards that goal, a public renunciation of the effort towards unification and a denunciation of the Byzantines, thus offering our 'Catholic Alliance' opponents a chance to rethink their singleminded attempts to crush us.

I cannot guarantee any good result, but if by making the effort we divert even a tenth of our enemy's support and disrupt their coordination then I am confident the end result will be the triumph of the Reich!

I would ask every noble to review this document and, if they find it acceptable, to send me permission to include their name upon it before I have it translated and published at large. I would particularly appeal to acting Kaiser Peter von Kastilien to add his name in all haste. It is worth noting that I have already secured Pope Renaldus' cooperation in this effort, and I expect Father Luther will be pleased by it and offer to sign it as well:

The Complete Renunciation of the Catholic-Orthodox Unification

The undersigned do formally and publically renounce any further attempts at reunification of the Catholic and Orthodox churches. This noble, if misguided, endeavor by important figures on both sides of the schism was permanantly undermined and made impossible by outright Byzantine treachery. At the last possible moment a plot was discovered by men of the Reich involving agents of Byzantium stealing the Reich's treasury, capturing and torturing members of the German nobility, and laying waste to the Reich's capital, Rome. Though some aspects of this vile scheme were unpreventable it's advancement has finally been entirely halted, and can now expect to be reversed.

That the other nations of Europe would muster their every effort to oppose the tragically flawed reunification of Orthodoxy with larger Christianity is understandable, however, today the Papacy and the Reich stand together in repudiating the very idea of unification. The idea of a 'Catholic Alliance' standing opposed to a Catholic nation in good standing with the Pope is just as impossible now as the idea of unification itself.

Pope Renaldus
Father Alexander Luther
Prinz Peter von Kastilien, Duke of Franconia
King Matthias Steffen, of Outremer
Duke Lothar Steffen, of Bavaria
Duke Arnold, of Austria
Duke von Salza, of Swabia
Count Dieter Bresch, of Madgeburg
Count Friedrich Karolinger, of Innsbruck
Crusader Andreas von Salzgitter
Count Fritz von Kastilien

TinCow
12-10-2007, 15:27
Electors of the Reich,

It has been many years since the Imperial Diet last convened to discuss the affairs of government. With Kaiser Elberhard's return from Outremer and the recent stabilization of our borders, it is time to return to this time-honored tradition of communal governance. However, the Imperial capital, Rome, remains in Byzantine hands and it will not likely be regained in the near future.

Bavaria has always acted with the best interests of the Reich at heart. Though we have lost many provinces and suffered grievous casualties in battle and religious warfare, we remain no less dedicated to a single, united Reich that is strong and prosperous. Throughout this entire period of crisis, Nuremburg has been the only province of the Reich that has not been threatened by foreign or domestic armies. Today, the ancient capital of Bavaria remains safe and secure from all of our enemies and it is located in a central spot, adjacent to all four Ducal Houses and thus easily accessible for all Electors, barring those in Outremer.

Thus, as a demonstration of Bavaria's commitment to Imperial unity, I have offered to turn over Nuremburg to Imperial control to act as the new capital of the Reich until such time as Rome is recaptured. Kaiser Elberhard has agreed to my terms regarding this handover. Accordingly, I am pleased to announce that the Imperial Diet will convene in Nuremburg in 1340.

Long Live the Reich!

Lothar Steffen
Duke of Bavaria

econ21
12-11-2007, 02:16
Planned re-opening of the Imperial Diet

Honorable Electors,

As my loyal Duke Lothar has mentioned, you are all summoned to Nuremburg for a full session of the Diet to open in 1340. I look forward to seeing you all there.

However, there are some things I would ask you to leave behind. Duke Lothar has spoken of the terms on which he is providing Nuremburg for Imperial use. These terms were simply that we both agree to let the past be the past and work together for the good of the Reich.

The Reich has not been an innocent victim of the cataclysmic events of the recent years. Many of us bear some responsibility for creating the chaos. There are some of you who would look at me and the agenda of reunification as a key cause. There may be some justice in that view. As there may also be in the responsibility I ascribe to those who slew Kaiser Siegfried or sacked Constantinople or killed Pope Abate. Both sides may have some element of truth, but to seek to apportion blame now is unproductive.

As I have signalled by making the Lutheran and former rebel Peter von Kastilien my Prinz, I am willing to forget past disagreements and divisions. I ask you all to do the same.

Fritz von Kastilien's declaration seeks to reopen past wounds. It offers a view of history quite unrecognisable to me. And it is quite unnecessary. After the Byzantine extermination of Rome, no German could possibly advocate unifying with them. I can only think that the intention of the declaration is to embarass those, like myself, who once supported re-unification. If it is debated on the floor of the Diet, nothing good will come of it.

Electors, I will see you at the Diet, but I ask you not to come to refight old battles but to come prepared to start afresh, to rebuild a better Reich.

Kaiser Elberhard

Ramses II CP
12-14-2007, 15:03
(OOC: Despite some wrangling with the Kaiser the work of translating and distributing the Proclamation goes forward. It is one of the last documents to take advantage of the Imperial Messenger Service for distribution before the Diet reopens. Eventually every major city in every nation of Europe has a few copies arrive. Slowly, slowly the word spreads, but the true effects, positive and negative for the Reich, are, perhaps, too subtle to be appreciated without the perspective of history.)

The Complete Renunciation of the Catholic-Orthodox Unification

The undersigned do formally and publically renounce any further attempts at reunification of the Catholic and Orthodox churches. This noble, if misguided, endeavor by important figures on both sides of the schism was permanantly undermined and made impossible by outright Byzantine treachery. At the last possible moment a plot was discovered by men of the Reich involving agents of Byzantium stealing the Reich's treasury, capturing and torturing members of the German nobility, and laying waste to the Reich's capital, Rome. Though some aspects of this vile scheme were unpreventable it's advancement has finally been entirely halted, and can now expect to be reversed.

That the other nations of Europe would muster their every effort to oppose the tragically flawed reunification of Orthodoxy with larger Christianity is understandable, however, today the Papacy and the Reich stand together in repudiating the very idea of unification. The idea of a 'Catholic Alliance' standing opposed to a Catholic nation in good standing with the Pope is just as impossible now as the idea of unification itself.

Pope Renaldus
Father Alexander Luther
Prinz Peter von Kastilien, Duke of Franconia
King Matthias Steffen, of Outremer
Duke Lothar Steffen, of Bavaria
Duke Arnold, of Austria
Duke von Salza, of Swabia
Count Dieter Bresch, of Madgeburg
Count Friedrich Karolinger, of Innsbruck
Crusader Andreas von Salzgitter
Count Fritz von Kastilien

econ21
12-14-2007, 16:38
THE OPENING OF THE IMPERIAL DIET

All Electors are immediately summoned to the Imperial Diet.

Any future proclamations to the Reich can be made on the floor of the Diet. Messengers are directed to the post any announcements there.

The Kaiser would like to thank Fritz von Kastilien for the high quality paper used in his recent Proclamations. The thickness, coarseness and opacity of the paper is a testament to the qualities of its author. Arabs in Outremer have reported novel uses for paper discovered by men in the far away lands of Cathay. Fritz's proclamation, spread across Europe, may do wonders for sanitation in the Western world.

Kaiser Elberhard