PDA

View Full Version : hoplites, money and some other things

Jacob Debroedere
10-15-2007, 16:23
I recently downloaded Roma Surrectum and I noticed some weird things.

There are a lot of hoplites(Sicilian hoplites,Athenian hoplites and probably more) which don't have the phalanx ability. This is probably done to make the hoplites wield their spears overhand(more realistic). But I also noticed militia hoplites, hoplites and armoured hoplites which do have the phalanx ability(like in normal RTW). Why? I mean, if you want to try a realistic mod make all of them wield overhand, and if you like the RTW phalanxes then let them all have phalanx ability( I prefer the old RTW system, those sicilian hoplites run like some kind of crazy ninjas all over the battlefield poking things with their spears).

Is it just me or has every single unit(even militias) good/excellent morale and stamina?

All provinces also seem to produce huge amounts of money every turn.

Why do the Romans start with huge starting armies?

Is it possible to deinstall the mod and reinstall it with the 1 turn recruitment system without having to uninstall RTW?

Squid
10-15-2007, 16:46
1) Not all hoplites were equally as mobile, most of the elite (city) hoplites were considered highly mobile, so they didn't get phalanx. The hoplite units which were citizens thrown together when needed wouldn't be as mobile as the elite units so they have phalanx so slow them down.

2) Only those units that should have good/excellent morale/stamina have it, all city hoplites and elite units have good/excellent morale, as well as certain other units that should have it.

3) There's an economic AoR in place, as you expand out of your core zone of control, the amount of money you earn will drop considerably.

4) Because they start in the middle of a war with the Epirots so would be on a war time footing having raised a number of armies to fight with.

5) Go into the IMPORTANT STUFF/Recruitment/1_Turn folder and run the bat file. You don't need to restart the campaign.

Jacob Debroedere
10-16-2007, 17:02
I didn't know city hoplites are considered elite, giving them excelent morale and stamina is logic. The economic homezone thing is a nice addition to the game, no more ridiculous migrating factions anymore.

btw congratulations to the mod team,I'm already addicted to RS.

nachoviper
10-21-2007, 16:03
So is the economic thing there just to stop you from roaming around and doubling the size of your empire in the first few turns? And would this also be the reason for the rebels having such gigantic armies? :dizzy2:

tonyw
10-27-2007, 10:01
Yes that's right. The strong free peoples are there to keep expansion speed down, but as the mod develops they're being used more and more also to represent small kingdoms and factions that are unable to be represented because of the faction limit.

Ferret
04-08-2008, 16:49
exactly how many kinds of hoplites are there I know of:

sparta, athens, corinth, crete, byzantine, pergamum, rhodes, sicily, tarentum, syracuse.

Is that all of them?

Water-fish
04-08-2008, 17:23
The city hoplites are in sparta, athens, corinth, crete, byzantine, pergamum, rhodes, sicily, tarentum, syracuse, cyrene, ephesus, pantikapion and cyprus

Ferret
04-12-2008, 12:45
thanks waterfish, just saw a pic of the ones from Cyprus, they look cool.

Good Ship Chuckle
04-12-2008, 16:55
I personally find the Hoplites of Tarentum to be the ones that look the coolest. If not them, the Hoplites of Sicily, with their three armed shields.:2thumbsup: