PDA

View Full Version : Frogbeastegg's Guide to Medieval II: Kingdoms

frogbeastegg
10-15-2007, 19:14
Now that part 1 (http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?page=/en/newsandpress/index.html&nav=/en/5/) has gone up on the official site I can reveal the existence of Frogbeastegg's Guide to Medieval II: Kingdoms.

Part 1 covers the Britannia campaign.
Part 2 will cover the Crusades campaign.
Part 3 will be the Teutonic campaign.
Part 4 is the Americas.

There is no schedule for the release of any of these parts. They're being produced in my spare time with information provided by CA. I aim to get them done as quickly as possible. The amount of time I have to work on them varies considerably due to my job, my recreational writing and my strange desire to see my boyfriend once in a while.

Regretfully I must say that there will be no updates for these guides. No revisions, no additions, no corrections, no updates to reflect patches. I simply don't have the time to manage that. The guides are as correct and complete as I can manage when I submit them to CA.

I have no plans for further guides outside of those four named above.

While CA have been helping me and are the sole hosts of the guides they are in no way official.

DVX BELLORVM
10-15-2007, 20:59
Thank you very much, excellent job.
I was just about to start a new thread with some questions about the Culture, but after reading your guide, there's no need to... :book:

frogbeastegg
10-16-2007, 19:45
:bow:

frogbeastegg
10-18-2007, 19:30
Come on, folks! You've been asking me for a guide for over a year now. The Britannia guide may be done and set in stone but the other three are not. Talk to me! You're missing an unprecedented opportunity - I'm working with CA on this! I can ask them things, and they will answer(*)! Tell me what works, what doesn't, what you want to see and what you didn't find useful! Give me questions to relay! The guides are themed to each campaign but I may be able to do something with general questions.

A couple of words, a group of questions, but if you read my work let me know about it, whether it was useful or the worst thing you've read in your life. Too much peace and quiet and I'm going to assume few people find the guides useful, and so I will trim them back to free up more of my time to spend doing something fun. Based on what I'm seeing in the three topics on the three different forums this topic has been posted on barely a soul is reading the guide, making it a 40 hour waste of time.

*Where possible and sensible. They very obviously will not tell me about a patch or future plans. There are some aspects of the game which they don't seem to want to give clear answers about or discuss.

:feedback:

Zim
10-18-2007, 23:25
I thought it was very useful. Back when I moved from RTS(Starcraft and Age of Empires) to MTW I printed out your guide and made a little book from it. I'm not sure I'd ever have gotten past the learning curve for the game without it.

This one has a different focus befitting a guide for an expansion meant for people that know the basics of the game, but it appears to me to have the same high standard. I used the section on the Irish campaign for a recent campaign, and without having read the sectionon Norway, I'd probably have tried to play them like a normal faction and sank slowly into debt.

Most of the posters here are old hats at the TW games. I imagine the people your guides help most are beginner lurkers like I was when I bought MTW.

I can reread the guide tonight and see if I think anything was missed that should go into the other ones. I should also be able to think of some questions for the Teutonic campaign, since I d so terribly in it.

For the crusades one, perhaps you could explore sme of the new Byzantine units? I have some success with the flamethrower guys, but always suffer very high casualty rates with them. I have even more dfficulty with the new two-handed sword guys, since they seem to be much, much weaker Varangians.

Not sure if this is worth including, but I've found the militia mace soldiers (Antioch Militia, Pronaioi, KOJ probably has a variant as well) are great for mobbing general's bodyguards, since they're cheap, numerous, and have armor piercing weapons.

Henry707
10-19-2007, 12:47
Good Morrow,

Well, I hope this is the right place but I found the guide very useful & can see all of the effort that goes into it. Thinking back, I remember many happy hours with your previous guides, reading through the funny bits, the strategic bits, the tips & unit descriptions.

My favourite line from all of them was "..Froggy loves roads.." followed by a view of their merits & the only downsides - allowing enemies to move quickly!

It's a brilliant primer for the game but also once you played a bit & you need something to read - the guides are brilliant for giving you new ideas, finding out how things should be done !!

So, big thanks from me for all the hard work....

Henry

Matty
10-19-2007, 13:08
Hang on, its only been up 4 days. Didn't you say something about having to attend to a boyfriend? Right then, you go and do that and we'll read this. I'm playing the Norwegians and don't find it hard at all once you sack Perth...

alpaca
10-19-2007, 13:22
Hey froggy,
I'd give you some feedback but since I don't (and won't) own kingdoms it probably wouldn't make too much sense to read your guide at all :bow:

Henry the Fifth
10-26-2007, 01:29
So far so good I found it useful for playing the Welsh succesfully. I'm looking forward to the Americas becuase I have found this the hardest campaign so far.

sapi
10-29-2007, 10:45
Filed in the guides forum, on froggy's request

:bow:

Shahed
10-29-2007, 15:58
Greetings Froggy !

That is incredible work ! The best yet IMHO.
THANKS very much for this extremely helpful guide.

Looking forward to more if and when you have time. BTW you need to change your proofreader, noticed a few typos ;P ;)

Salute !

Iavorios
10-30-2007, 09:25
Firs of all, very nice guide, very helpful. Only one complain- to few info for wales infantry units. But this is minor problem. I actually got incpaired from it and started a campaign with Norway at VH/VH , trying to conquer Scotland first (no raiding at all) and it works. Yes i had a huge money problems but after 25 turns i destroyed them and soon i got rich. Ireland was next.
I must say i am not much of a Britannia fen but your guide make me go back to this campaign. I cant what for the Teutonic part. Great work

romanwarmachine
11-04-2007, 16:42
Nice work again i say!

I started on the RTW guide and found it great, it got me going on the series

Was always disappointed that you never did one for M2 when it came out

Bravo as always

Privateerkev
11-19-2007, 04:54
Great guide. I'm looking forward to the other 3.

Kudos. :bow:

Katana
11-22-2007, 06:56
great guide. i think i'll use it when i eventually get around to britannia. as for right now, it's back to crusades, then teutonic.

gibsonsg91921
11-23-2007, 17:44
its truly an amazing guide. it helped me own as wales!

Phoenix
11-23-2007, 18:27
Looks great. I haven't played a Britannia campaign yet, but given my usual play-style I can already say that I've been saved from experiencing an embarrassingly short English campaign. I'm looking forward to the other three.

Robespierre
12-20-2007, 16:58
thanks for the guide O Frogbeastegg. you might have said more about the map itself, with all its potential for strategic ambushes and outflanking moves behind fords, it is surely the strongest point of the campaign. i have not tried that one with England of giving away my provinces to make the game harder yet thoough.

i think that the crusades campaign may have more depth than Britannia so a guide for that could attract more interest. feel free to plunder my guide to the Turk on these boards.

frogbeastegg
01-12-2008, 16:45
As of today the Crusades guide is completed and submitted. Based on last time it will take around 2 weeks to work its way through the necessary stages and reach the .com main page.

Apologise for the wait. Christmas is the busy season in my job, and it’s hard to find the large amounts of time required to write a guide.

frogbeastegg
01-28-2008, 17:29
The Crusades guide has apparantly been available for download since the 22nd. Link (http://www.totalwar.com/index.html?page=/en/newsandpress/index.html&nav=/en/5/)

Quinn Inuit
01-29-2008, 06:48
Yay Frogbeastegg! Your guides still rock. The MTW version was my bible while playing the original.

Sheepdisease
08-22-2009, 11:19
This guide does not appear on that page: totalwar.c*m/index.html?page=/en/newsandpress/index.html&nav=/en/5/

Sheepdisease
08-22-2009, 11:23
I need the guide to winning using the Apachean tribe, please can anyone guide me in the right direction?

gardibolt
09-11-2009, 20:01
Did the other two guides never happen? That's a shame; I love reading FBE's writing style. :yes:

bedsprices
09-30-2009, 04:13
Thanks for the suggestion, I wish it had worked.

bedsprices
09-30-2009, 04:14
Thanks so much for sharing the post.

Electric adjustable beds prices UK - (http://adjustablebedsprices.org)Electric adjustable beds prices and reviews - (http://adjustablebedsprices.org/electric-adjustable-beds/)Adjustable bed mattress air and Sleep Comfort (http://adjustablebedsprices.org)

superequivalent
10-08-2009, 03:01
Thanks.....nice job, greetings Froggy

Madbanshee
06-03-2010, 14:37
Apologies for my misunderstanding of this but if anyone could help me figure this out, it would be very helpful to complete the actual campaign of wales. I clicked on the tab for part 1 (brittania) and it comes up with a website. From here I have no clue's in my head to point me in the right direction of were to click to get to the actual guide. If anyone reads this post can you please answer this. Thanks in advance

Madbanshee

Jakkar
06-28-2010, 09:55
Wonderful guides, the earlier ones. However this one no longer appears to be hosted - does anyone have it uploaded elsewhere, or was this exclusive?

Will we ever see the frogbeastegg again?!

Tune in next week.

Seamus Fermanagh
06-28-2010, 22:13
Wonderful guides, the earlier ones. However this one no longer appears to be hosted - does anyone have it uploaded elsewhere, or was this exclusive?

Will we ever see the frogbeastegg again?!

Tune in next week.

Her Frogginess is starting on a sabbatical and will be off the .org (at least as a moderator) for a goodly stretch. After six consecutive years of service she is going to her favorite lilly pad for a nice kip.

Jakkar
07-02-2010, 19:41
Then I wish her will, but must repeat my question; are her Kingdoms guides online, anywhere?