PDA

View Full Version : EB 1.0 for BI, shield_wall and shietrom

brymht
10-15-2007, 20:36
I am now successfully playing EB 1.0 on BI without any problems whatsoever. However, I have a quation for the historians out there: What units should recieve the shield_wall and shieltrom formations? Any of the history buffs who contributed to EB?

Right now, here's the loose idea who should recieve this :

shield_wall:
Barbarians : professional warrior classes who were line infantry, rather than assault infantry

Greeks : Most of the Hoplites who'se responsibility was for holding a line, rather than breaking one. (Pretty much all hoplites)

Romans : Most of their infantry after Polybeain reforms.

Shieldtroms : Light Spearmen who tended to better a step up from the levy variety, with better training. Not generally heavy spearmen.

Any influence form the historical community would be VERY welcome!

mcantu
10-15-2007, 21:20
Wait until Watchman updates his mod...

Watchman
10-16-2007, 21:34
The around only units I think the schiltrom would arguably be appropriate for would be some steppe infantry, seeing as how those guys would conceivably need to be really acutely worried about being surrounded by cavalry. Its sitting-duck vulnerability to missiles aside an all-around defensive hedgehog would seem sensible enough - and it's not like the steppe spearmen could actually effectively fight the horse-archers anyway; you need infantry archers at the least for that.