PDA

View Full Version : Faction Leaders, and Governments.

Irish Soldier
10-30-2007, 23:10
Just a quick question which I could not fit into any existing Topics. How are Faction leaders going to work for Factions like The 13 Colonys? Or for France. They can not have Kings(For obvious reasons) and The American Leader would have to be a president! Meaning he would have to be removed from office, and replaced every four years. Unlike the previous system where a Faction Leader is there until he dies, and then the chosen Heir takes over. I feel if this was done with America it would be a huge mistake, and am just wondering if anyone has any idea how this will work in Empire?

Thanks in Advance

Mailman653
11-01-2007, 19:19
Well, it is possible to change goverments, like in the case of the colonies, they can either stay colonies if the player chooses(I would think thats an option), or become a democracy or a monarchy, if they choose the latter then I'm sure the system of kings and heirs comes into play. As for presidents, what might be done is similiar to the papal elections for M2TW, after four years you get elections and pick someone new among your generals or something of that kind.

Marcus Furius Camillus
11-01-2007, 20:02
You mind if I join this conversation ?
( plz do not mind the spelling and grammar )

I don't have M2TW, so I've got no idea what you mean with papal elections in M2TW, but isn't it possible to recreate a sort of RTW - senate faction to deal with the president - problem ?

this is my idea to solve the problem:
those 13 Colonys start with a large number of 'family-members' ( like the senate, no family, only senate members), maybe some important politicians of the 13 Colonys. The computer pics the most competent man to be faction leader ( the one with the most influence, military experience, loyalty and management). The computer pics automaticly a faction heir, out of the faction, not necessary a familymember of the 'president'. After 4 years, the faction leader will be a normal familymember again and the faction heir will be 'president'. New members join the family when a older familymember dies. Those new members join the faction like in RTW, with a benefactor for - instead of adoption - the parlaiment. Like this, the parlaiment keeps existing, and the computer plays for election.

This seems to be the best option for a democratic faction, isn't it ?

Mailman653
11-02-2007, 01:46
Sounds plausable too :yes:

Mithradates
11-03-2007, 16:30
Another problem is aswell as having an elected leader surely all your generals would need to be to some extent spotenious. As far as i am aware there were not dynasties of generals, so a generals son would not necessarily be the next general how would this work out?

Brenus
11-04-2007, 10:21
Hum. The problem will be a little bit complex for France. The game will start around Louis XIV death. The thrown went to his grand son, Louis the XV. Some story, Thrown will do to his grand son Louis XVI.
Then the Revolution: :sweatdrop:
Civil war between the Jacobins and the Girodins (Robespierre-Danton)
Civil war between Royalist and Republicans (insurgency in Vendée and Brittany –Chouans (Jacques Cathalineau, La Rochejaquelin, Charette, Stofflet, d’Elbée ) VS Republicans (Haxo, Hoche, Kléber, Marceau, Turreau (c/w les colonnes infernales), Westermann “The Butcher of the Vendée who wrote to the Convention: There is no more Vendée, I no prisoner to be blame for, I exterminate the all), Hoche and Carrier -commissar of the Republic-).
Civil war between Republicans: Federalist and “Centralist”.

This was done with Wars against all Europe.

So in term of Party Leaders the first thing to do will be to resolve how to deal with these various wars, to see who emerge victorious. I honestly doubt they even TRY to find a solution which could be as complex to create a side a different map -a little bit like an extension- only for France.
I term of political leaders it is a nightmare.
:beam:

Divinus Arma
11-08-2007, 04:03
A complex problem if we look through the lens of games past. I hope that CA has more talent than that. I think that they have the opportunity for something larger and grander here.

There are many ways to approach this concept if we step outside the box.

Faction characters are those which the player manipulates in some way on the campaign map and are a backbone to the total war system. They will remain. But it is the roles that they may play or be assigned to play that give them their potential:
General
Governor of a settlement
Head of the formal government: Kings, Presidents.
Component of the formal government: Senators, MPs, etc.

A faction character is to be used as a general or governor until he fills a role of formal government. In a democracy, he would become "unplayable" until his term expires. We have already seen this with the Papal system. Furthermore, this unplayable faction character would give government orders in a democracy just like the pope does in M2TW and the senate in RTW. Failure to follow his orders could result ultimately in civil war and your ability to change the government to a dictatorship. With the occurence of civil war, you may choose between the democratic side or the dictatorship side, just like in MTW.

In a dictatorship you gain the ability to control the faction character while he fills his role as head of formal government. Instead of worrying about the orders of your government, you would be free to do as you please. Furthermore, you would be able to use your faction leader as a general.

Changes from dictatorship to democracy could come from revolt within your faction and the ability to choose sides.You may also be given the opportunity to change to democracy by choosing it and relinquishing power. Your faction character leader will become unplayable, but you may see civil war anyway when your generals disagree with your decision and desire power for themselves. The ability to choose sides will come again at that time as well.

Problem solved.

Brenus
11-08-2007, 08:56
Who will nominate the generals? In MTW 1, we could give a title or a function… In MTW2 this was cancelled I don’t know why… If the same system is applied in this one it will not possible to get a Buonaparte (Before Bonaparte), Kellerman, Moreau or Bernadotte.
In term of leaders, because the Revolution, you could have shift in one night of the balance of power. One day, Robespierre, one speech later he was out…
Now, I don’t think it will be possible to do so in a game… Don’t let the reality spoiled a game…
No more princesses…
:no:

ramela
11-09-2007, 19:37
IMO, the most simple way of handling Democracy is that every 4 years, the character (not just general anymore would be my opinion) with the most Diplomacy/Acumen/Whatever is "elected" and "dissappears" until the end of his term(s) and then re-appears at your capital or wherever he was at the time of his election.

Templar Knight
11-10-2007, 14:12
It would be better and easier if you didn't control faction leaders, like EU. They are historical and appear on the correct dates, this means you concentrate on your government.