PDA

View Full Version : Medieval War II Mods

tapanojum
10-31-2007, 08:30
What are your favorite mods? Are there any similar to EB for RTW? or Similar to EB in quality?

I've tried searching for some with no success. I've tried Anno Domino .93 but it made the turns process MUCH longer than it normally would.

Malik of Sindh
10-31-2007, 13:06
Theres currentely no major conversions for M2TW,but BC is about to be released,so you can call it my favorite mod.

tapanojum
10-31-2007, 19:38
Is BC Broken Crescent? Whens that supposed to come out, the release date said sept 28..

Malik of Sindh
11-01-2007, 13:20
Yes its Broken Crescent.The developers say it will be realesed when its done.But Im sure its gonna be released soon,since almost everything is done.

w00t 200th post.

Xtiaan72
11-02-2007, 05:01
Deus Lo Volt... Is a really good one. I Recommend it to people who like EB.

Malik of Sindh
11-02-2007, 07:30
Deus lo vult is too laggy.The traits are also stupid,youre 3 turns bankrupt and you can say goodbye to your game,everyone,even the faction heir are going to rebel.

Geoffrey S
11-02-2007, 10:04
It is? Or just your opinion?

Warluster
11-02-2007, 10:10
That is not what I found with DLV.

I've played quite a few turns as France, it am enjoying it massively. Counts and Dukes enhance it much, and it is enjoyable.

There are similar mods, Stainless Steel and RtJ which are worth trying out if you don't like DLV.

Malik of Sindh
11-02-2007, 12:54
That is not what I found with DLV.

I've played quite a few turns as France, it am enjoying it massively. Counts and Dukes enhance it much, and it is enjoyable.

There are similar mods, Stainless Steel and RtJ which are worth trying out if you don't like DLV.
I played SS and Road to Jerusalem,and I enjoyed them very much.I guess DLV is not for my comp.

Bellum
11-02-2007, 23:13
I'd like to see a mod which takes the same slavish dedication to accuracy for the medieval period, though I don't know that I'd like to see it on m2 (because of certain flaws in that build of the engine). Perhaps I should loot a few prestigious universities.

I Am Herenow
11-03-2007, 19:06
Maybe MTR will be that mod - but they don't have anything released yet.

Malik of Sindh
11-03-2007, 20:35
They haven't even started MTR yet IIRC.Im waiting for it too,

russia almighty
11-04-2007, 00:47
Mods now are starting to get more major cause original from the ground up units can be made .

Mindaros
11-04-2007, 18:26
Dominion of the Sword is a large realism mod, aiming precisely at historical accuracy. But it was initiated in September this year, so it's not finished yet.

IrishArmenian
11-13-2007, 02:13
Sicillian Vespers is quite good. Until BC comes out, I'm just playing this and IBFD!

Ivan_the_Terrible
11-21-2007, 07:21
Sicillian Vespers is quite good. Until BC comes out, I'm just playing this and IBFD!

Yes, Sicillian Vespers is very, very good, but unfortunately not very well known.

Kepper
11-21-2007, 16:23
I prefer The Long Road the mod maker a gone for some time, but the mod is live some fans are starting to plane a new version, after they released, this version, they are making planes to transfer the mod for kingdom.
Some information about the mod:
1 year= 1 turn
The new world as gone replace by a bigger middle east
199 region
Many new unit.
21 playable faction more will came in future release
new trays
A more historical family tree
The Byzantine are no longer purple.
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=315
This is the original plane of the creator of the mod {Tornnight }
http://www.twcenter.net/wiki/The_Long_Road

alexader
11-21-2007, 17:03
Warhammer Total War,shall conquer it all,it is the most amazing mod for now(not because i like warhammer)but the job that we are doing in it is impressive.trolls,orcs,chariots,flamethrowers and many more to come.it is not finished yet.but with the tools that are available it's to easy to be the king of the mods for medieval 2 total war.just take a look in the hosted mods section
(i am telling that it is not done yet,so don't tell me that i wrote that it is finished):egypt:

Sarkiss
11-25-2007, 10:55
i havent played extensively neither MTWII nor Kingdoms yet. curious how smarter AI (if thats a case at all:laugh4: ) comparing to RTW? Diplomacy, campaign and battlefield. espacially in regard to diplomacy. any significant differences, improvement at all?
thanks

MiniMe
11-25-2007, 20:11
Diplomacy AI- better than RTW
Battlefield AI - worse than RTW
(that was IMO)
Things that I like about MTWII:
cavalry charge;
impassable terrain on the battlefield;
naval invasions.
that's it

Sarkiss
11-26-2007, 19:52
Diplomacy AI- better than RTW
Battlefield AI - worse than RTW

are you kidding me? it cant be any worse than RTW!:laugh4:
...or is it just me being spoiled by MP...:inquisitive:

whats so special about cavalry charges?
good to hear diplomacy is better. the weakest spot of RTW imo.

bovi
11-26-2007, 20:05
The initial M2TW battle AI would parade its army in front of yours. Indefinitely. You could pelt them with all your ammo, and then just stand there until time ran out, attack to kill them or retreat with no losses. The AI was useless in sieges, and by that I mean more useless than the initial RTW AI during sieges, which is saying something.

AI reinforcements are as moronic as ever, even though they have added some degree of supposed control with three stances (aggressive, defensive and ranged combat unless I'm mistaken) which have no apparent effect. Not sure if this was a M2TW or Kingdoms feature, I think the latter.

Cavalry charges are devastating. A charge from a decent unit can eliminate a whole unit of infantry, be it archers or spearmen. I don't like it personally, archers/musketeers are fine to trample but I'd like for spearmen or heavier infantry to be able to resist better. In medieval warfare the cavalry charge did determine many battles, so I guess it's not all that bad.

Sarkiss
11-26-2007, 20:14
The initial M2TW battle AI would parade its army in front of yours. Indefinitely. You could pelt them with all your ammo, and then just stand there until time ran out, attack to kill them or retreat with no losses. The AI was useless in sieges, and by that I mean more useless than the initial RTW AI during sieges, which is saying something.

AI reinforcements are as moronic as ever, even though they have added some degree of supposed control with three stances (aggressive, defensive and ranged combat unless I'm mistaken) which have no apparent effect. Not sure if this was a M2TW or Kingdoms feature, I think the latter.

Cavalry charges are devastating. A charge from a decent unit can eliminate a whole unit of infantry, be it archers or spearmen. I don't like it personally, archers/musketeers are fine to trample but I'd like for spearmen or heavier infantry to be able to resist better. In medieval warfare the cavalry charge did determine many battles, so I guess it's not all that bad.
agree on knights' charges, but the rest makes me wanna - :wall: :wall: :wall:
im even afraid to ask... is battlefield AI modable at all?

overweightninja
11-26-2007, 23:00
Yes, take a look at this forum Sarkiss (and btw most major mtw2 mods appear to incorporate at least some form of AI mod).

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=301

paradamed
11-27-2007, 04:46
DLV is too laggy. I have a good computer, I play EB with no lag and all maxed up but DLV lags my pc. Also DLV is too unstable, CTD all the time.

MiniMe
11-27-2007, 06:57
are you kidding me? it cant be any worse than RTW!:laugh4:

It can and it is...
I've spend last couple of weeks testing various mods, all majors included. Whatever modders say about their new uniqe battle AIs... Still looking for it.

And I'm the last one to expect any kind of realism and adequate representation from a game...But MII went even further from reality than RTW.

Mindaros
11-27-2007, 13:36
The vanilla AI is very bad in M2. Like Bovi wrote, often you can defeat an enemy army by simply sending your army behind them and killing them by arrows. They don't even bother to turn around, just die standing still. Fortunately there are AI mods.

And cavalry is overpowered. It goes through spearmen like knife through butter. And worse still, heavy infantry does the same thing to pikemen.

Historically it's even less historical than Rome. It's representation of the Middle-Ages is simply stereotypical.

I really can't recommend playing it without mods.

Sarkiss
11-27-2007, 17:14
Yes, take a look at this forum Sarkiss (and btw most major mtw2 mods appear to incorporate at least some form of AI mod).

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=301
thanks

iberus_generalis
11-27-2007, 20:11
My Favorite MTW2 mod would be Portucale 0.3 for MTW2, its strives to bring realism to MTW2, namely to the portuguese faction, wich was poorly done in the view of many people, and makes goods revisions of the rosters, and factions across MTW2 so they become more and more historically correct, from changing their names, their units, starting positions, and Faction members among other stuff

beatoangelico
11-27-2007, 20:49
for the very brief time i've spent with M2TW so far I can say that the battles are really arcade oriented. Cavalry is badly overpowered, just send it in a frontal charge and only the strongest spear/pike units could stop it, there's no need to have a balanced army, just stack loads of heavy cav and do one massive charge, then they have all the staying power to slain almost everything. Then there's the crazy kill rate, only the elites sword-shield infantry has some possibility to hold the line and not flee after 30 seconds; and a lot of other issues.

Mouzafphaerre
11-28-2007, 04:25
Can't find the link but it's from horse's mouth (maybe at the .com). A CA rep explained that the strategic AI and the diplomacy AI were two seperate routines, programmed seperately by seperate programmers, all through the line, that is MTW, RTW and finally MiNO/Kingdoms.

The strategic AI completely ignores the diplomatic one. It's much probable that it doesn't know a diplomacy feature exists at all.

On topic, the diplomacy in MiNO is just more polished. More options appear in the interface and you are informed of the weight of your proposal (generous, balanced etc.). But the rest is no better or worse than RTW or MTW. You get an alliance and trade rights, which were deemed very generous, the counter-part very friendly towards you, and are attacked the same turn.

Sarkiss
11-28-2007, 17:26
Can't find the link but it's from horse's mouth (maybe at the .com). A CA rep explained that the strategic AI and the diplomacy AI were two seperate routines, programmed seperately by seperate programmers, all through the line, that is MTW, RTW and finally MiNO/Kingdoms.

The strategic AI completely ignores the diplomatic one. It's much probable that it doesn't know a diplomacy feature exists at all.

On topic, the diplomacy in MiNO is just more polished. More options appear in the interface and you are informed of the weight of your proposal (generous, balanced etc.). But the rest is no better or worse than RTW or MTW. You get an alliance and trade rights, which were deemed very generous, the counter-part very friendly towards you, and are attacked the same turn.
:wall:
btw, whats MiNO?

Mouzafphaerre
11-28-2007, 17:37
Medieval in Name Only = M2TW :laugh4:

Menander of India
12-04-2007, 04:36
Everyone keep saying that cavalry is overpowered in M2TW...
I admit, I haven't played much but cavalry charges were not overpowered at all! A cavalry charge could trample over a unit of medium (and sometimes heavy) infantry that was not carrying "pointed sticks~D". However, these charges had to be executed with perfection and great coordination. And if your cavalry started chasing routers...It became more and more disorganized...
Nothing compared to vanilla RTW... Much better in my opinion...
Now... about the spear units issue... Never, a regular unit of knights , in my game, routed spears with ease... Except if you had heavily armed, knights with AP weapons, and in this case when against spears of the lower quality...

I'm troubled...:feedback:

Ludens
12-05-2007, 23:01

That would explain a lot. However, I don't quite see how the fact that they were programmed by two different programmers proves that they don't interact as well. I am pretty sure that paying regular tribute makes the A.I. less inclined to attack you in EB, so there is some interplay going on.

Mouzafphaerre
12-06-2007, 04:14
The AI was probably busy with some random brigands etc. Not EB but in vanilla BI I was attacked the next turn after accepting to become protectorate.

The two routines not interplaying is not my conclusion, but part of what the CA guy had said. :shrug:

Lusted
12-06-2007, 10:56
Well it's good for EB then that the AI can be modded in M2TW then isn't it?

Mouzafphaerre
12-06-2007, 18:08
Is it? :inquisitive: Well, if you're saying so it is! :2thumbsup:

Lusted
12-06-2007, 18:14
Yup the campaign AI is very nicely moddable, the battle AI is moddable but to a lesser extent.

Mouzafphaerre
12-07-2007, 02:30
"Should I give MiNO a second chance?..."
:thinking2:

Ludens
12-08-2007, 17:36
The AI was probably busy with some random brigands etc. Not EB but in vanilla BI I was attacked the next turn after accepting to become protectorate.
I wouldn't claim such a thing if I hadn't observed it in multiple campaigns. It's not a surefire, but I find that A.I. is less agressive towards me when I pay them regular tribute and if they do attack me, they are more likely to accept a cease-fire. It also seems to me that when they do get hostile, I often provoked them by using spies and assassins against them, but I am les certain of this as I only observed it a few times.

The two routines not interplaying is not my conclusion, but part of what the CA guy had said. :shrug:
Sorry, I misunderstood what you wrote.

zonks32
12-30-2007, 03:59
Forget about DLV, as of the last patch, you need to build a jewish temple, and have a popultion of 20% jews before you can build a Merchant.
I have gone back to SS.

Xtiaan72
12-30-2007, 11:17
forget about DLV,F as of the last patch, you need to build a jewish temple, and have a popultion of 20% jews before you can build a Merchant.
I have gone back to SS.

You needed to build a Jewish temple so you went back to the SS? Unintended pun me thinks :yes: Your right, I love DLV but I thought that was kinda lame.

beatoangelico
12-30-2007, 20:59
Forget about DLV, as of the last patch, you need to build a jewish temple, and have a popultion of 20% jews before you can build a Merchant.
I have gone back to SS.

lol? I don't have DLV but if it's as you said is a terribly big historical error :no:

konny
12-31-2007, 13:38

????

For every faction?

(even though I don't know a single Mediavel "faction" in which the trade was controlled by Jews; certainly nowhere in Central, Southern or Western Europe)

zonks32
12-31-2007, 19:06
From what I read on the forum it applies to all factions and provinces, the modder does state thats its not historical.
There is a new trait which is " king pisses off the nobles"
This cause's the nobles & family members to become rebel or Loyalist, the rebel nobles can move about 1cm each turn and if governing a city will cause it to revolt.
In theory it is good but I found this happened to every king in my campaign, so maybe they have to tone it down a bit, other than these issues, I found the mod quite good, the map is huge, not so much the area covered but the actual size of the continents, England is perhaps twice the size of vanilla, which makes for more field battles.

adembroski
01-01-2008, 00:18
Darth Mod... having units act like they're supposed and occasionally losing a battle adds much to game play.

alexader
01-03-2008, 21:42
yes i will agree,darth mod is the best mod for AI,

stupac
02-23-2008, 06:24
I've enjoyed the sicilian vespers, very very similar to chivalry total war, which has a few aspects I'm not a fan of, such as the massive movement values. I understand that it is realistic that it didn't take a year to move an army through italy as it does in vanilla and other mods, but for the sake of avoiding army teleportation, I don't know what else you can do in a turn based game. I'm going to probably try out Stainless Steel and see how that goes, seems a bit more conservative, just incorporating smaller, proven mods. Pro Deo Et Rege looks promising also, might try that one too.

Leviathan DarklyCute
02-23-2008, 17:54
Which mod is better and more realistic, The Sicilian Vespers or The Long Road?