PDA

View Full Version : EB2: The Big Question

iceman7291
11-03-2007, 00:15
When can we expect to start seeing previews. I practically get a hard on from just the name EB2. Im going to need my weekly fix of previews pretty soon. So please help me and the other addicts out, and get them previews a flowin.

Malik of Sindh
11-03-2007, 15:56
Im sure that you will not get your fix of previews anytime soon.Im not even sure they have strated this mod already.

I Am Herenow
11-03-2007, 19:04
Well, from various posts on the forums here and there, some work does seem to have already been done.

iceman7291
11-03-2007, 19:08
Well, another thing I really wnat to know, is this game being made for regular Med2 or Kingdoms, I really hope its being made for Kingdoms because of the extra features. Ive seen discusions about this but have never seen a definate answer. So, Med2 or Kingdoms?

Malik of Sindh
11-03-2007, 20:27
Its for Kingdoms ,which I don't have.Ill go kill myself now.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
11-03-2007, 21:05
99.9% sure it is going to be on Kingdoms. :juggle2:

As for previews, there probably won't be any in game screen shots or anything any time soon. There has been two Steles released that are sort of previews. With the work on v1.0, there hasn't been any more of these, but they will continue some time soon.

Mouzafphaerre
11-03-2007, 22:10

99.9% sure it is going to be on Kingdoms. :juggle2:
That's bad news. :no: Kingdoms comes with malware copy protection, which remains even after the uninstall. If EB2 comes for Kingdoms, then goodbye from me, sorry. :embarassed: Please don't make it for Kingdoms unless CA release a cleaning patch, which is very much unlikely.

Bonny
11-04-2007, 01:41
Kingdoms comes with malware copy protection, which remains even after the uninstall.

what does this mean?

iceman7291
11-04-2007, 03:30
99.9% sure it is going to be on Kingdoms.

Thats so good to hear, thank you. If its going to be for regular Med Ill be pissed because youll be able to do a lot more with kingdoms and that will mkae the game so much better.

lord_eru
11-04-2007, 03:37
what does this mean?

Kingdoms uses SecuROM as its copy-protection, the newest version of which installs a rootkit.

Bellum
11-04-2007, 03:53
Its for Kingdoms ,which I don't have.Ill go kill myself now.

You have about a 400 years to get it before release. :clown:

Mouzafphaerre
11-04-2007, 04:08
what does this mean?
This. Also in here and here.

Although there is no consensus, a reasonable part of the TW fanbase have decided to keep away from Kingdoms.

That aside, not basing the original mod on an expansion, which requires purchasing two products, thus paying twice, was a very fair and wise decision. Considering also that Kingdoms doesn't have as good a reputation as BI at least among the old timers, following the same path with the new mod will be even fairer and wiser.

Please think about it guys.

Foot
11-04-2007, 08:22
This. Also in here and here.

Although there is no consensus, a reasonable part of the TW fanbase have decided to keep away from Kingdoms.

That aside, not basing the original mod on an expansion, which requires purchasing two products, thus paying twice, was a very fair and wise decision. Considering also that Kingdoms doesn't have as good a reputation as BI at least among the old timers, following the same path with the new mod will be even fairer and wiser.

Please think about it guys.

Not going to happen. Kingdoms has been decided on for very many different reasons, not least because permanent forts would be fantastic, und also the possibility to restrict units based upon "religion".

Anyway, by the time EB2 is released Kingdoms will be about a fiver in a shop. So no worries.

Foot

Mouzafphaerre
11-04-2007, 15:52
Sad decision indeed because even if the price drops town to $1 SecuRom will be there, as it seems. I won't let any malware willingly on my computer, even for the sake of EB, nor would many others. Sorry...

iceman7291
11-04-2007, 16:36
Sad decision indeed because even if the price drops town to $1 SecuRom will be there, as it seems. I won't let any malware willingly on my computer, even for the sake of EB, nor would many others. Sorry...

What are you talking about?! Kingdoms has done NOTHING to harm my computer and EVERYONE should get it, its just a game. Not to sound harsh or anything, cause I know that admins of this forum dont like inappropriate behavior. I am gratefull that they are making it for kingdoms cause it is the best TW game released yet. I havent even touched regular Med since I got Kingdoms, the very second it was put on the shelves at my local Gamestop.

Foot
11-04-2007, 17:59
WTF are you talking about?! Kingdoms has done NOTHING to harm my computer and EVERYONE should get it, its just a fucking game. Not to sound harsh or anything, cause I know that admins of this forum dont like inappropriate behavior, but you sound like an asshole. I am gratefull that they are making it for kingdoms cause it is the best damn TW game released yet. I havent even touched regular Med since I got Kingdoms, the very second it was put on the shelves at my local Gamestop.

fanboy much?

Do you know about SecuROM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM)? You should do as Kingdoms installed it on your computer without you knowing about it.

Foot

Steppe Merc
11-04-2007, 18:26
That's really messed up. However, are you able to remove it? It lists all of the files there, you can just delete correct? Or is it one of those tricky ones that has files all over the place?

antisocialmunky
11-04-2007, 22:53
Its the tricky, download-app-to-delete-undeleteable-registry-entry type of thing.

Elthore
11-04-2007, 22:57
wow, what a piece of filthy malware. Nasty!

anyone interested in EB2 should read up on Securom included with Kingdoms. It is absolute trash.

iceman7291
11-05-2007, 01:12
I think that everyone should stop bitching so much, it has done nothing to my comp and believe me I would know if it has. And anyway, there is a bunch of prgrams made for removing it, so there is no reason not to get Kingdoms.

Elthore
11-05-2007, 01:34
ethics

Mouzafphaerre
11-05-2007, 03:31

iceman7291 are you talking about?! Kingdoms has done NOTHING to harm my computer and EVERYONE should get it, its just a iceman7291 game. Not to sound harsh or anything, cause I know that admins of this forum dont like inappropriate behavior, but you sound like an iceman7291.
Not only a fanboy but a troll. I hope the pollution caused by your existence won't last long.

Xehh II
11-05-2007, 04:29
I don't think I'd get EB2 if it's for Kingdoms either.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
11-05-2007, 07:36
I'm confused, other then preventing you from using illegal copies of the game and putting something on your computer that you didn't ask for, what does this do that is so evil?

Geoffrey S
11-05-2007, 08:57
The latter point I find bad enough, but in theory (and I'll admit I know little about this) it allows for remote access to ones computer without the users knowledge.

Meneldil
11-05-2007, 10:20
I'm confused, other then preventing you from using illegal copies of the game and putting something on your computer that you didn't ask for, what does this do that is so evil?

That's pretty much self-explanatory. The fact that removing it is extremely tedious is another problem aswell.
It also creates issues if you're using some legal programs such as Deamontools, AVG and what not.

And don't get me started on the fact that paying consummers are always getting screwed up by this kind of copy-protection thingie (ie. starforce, Bioshock), while people who get the game illegaly will solve the issue in 5 min. So yeah, I won't be buying Kingdoms, and thus, won't be playing EB2, at least until the release a patch to get rid of securom (which will likely never happens).

Zaknafien
11-05-2007, 12:21
seems sort of ridiculous. who really cares if you cant make illegal copies? unless its how you earn a living, it seems like NOT a big deal at all.

Malik of Sindh
11-05-2007, 13:50
No EB2 for me ~:mecry:

antisocialmunky
11-05-2007, 15:11

It doesn't stop people from making illegal copies, just makes it marginally harder for those who do and it still takes the same amount of time for everyone else to google the file to do so. '_' Which makes it just irritate honest computer literate people and makes it more attractive for those people to get the cracked version to avoid dealing with crappy DRM.

Elminster12
11-05-2007, 17:43
It does seem futile and faintly hostile, but if all you need is an application to remove it for you, all that needs to happen is for said application to be provided and everyone wins.

Mouzafphaerre
11-05-2007, 23:38
It does seem futile and faintly hostile, but if all you need is an application to remove it for you, all that needs to happen is for said application to be provided and everyone wins.
The removal isn't the only issue. As some posters have stated above, SecuRom is malware itself.

And no, it doesn't make illegal copies any harder. Just pisses off the honest customers.

Hax
11-06-2007, 00:23
TBH, I have Kingdoms, and I use DaemonTools all the time with no problems.

Elthore
11-06-2007, 00:26
well, it is rumoured that these types of 'backdoor' trojan style copy protection systems send private info(as in, info you did NOT make public) to the parent company, who in turn will sell it to the highest bidder. It is clearly capable of acting in this way, as well, companies have proven be capable of acting this way as well, anything for the profit. Another issue is that more malicious people could use the same ports that are opened by this utility to access your computer. If the public can crack these protections within hours, how long would it take for them to connect to uncracked(infected by SecuROM) versions running on paying customers computers? not very long at all

Meneldil
11-06-2007, 00:38

Well, yeah, it can be removed (though that's quite a tedious process actually), but still, I will never ever buy a game with such copy-protection crap, that only result is to piss off honest players.

And I'm not whining for EB2 to be released as a non-Kingdom mod. I perfectly understand that Kingdom offers great features that would greatly enhance the EB experience. EB2 must be released with Kingdom, even if it means I will likely not play it.

iceman7291
11-06-2007, 23:26
TBH, I have Kingdoms, and I use DaemonTools all the time with no problems.

I second that statment, and would like to add I also use MagicIso and AVG with NO problems as well.

Bellum
11-07-2007, 00:04
seems sort of ridiculous. who really cares if you cant make illegal copies? unless its how you earn a living, it seems like NOT a big deal at all.

It seems to me that people have become desensetised by the current state of software, malicious code is everywhere oftentimes used by legitimate parties, as can be seen by this example. It's become the way things are.

IIRC, in the 90's, everybody would be pissed. Not even because of what the software does, but because it does it to YOUR PROPERTY without your consent. Why should it be acceptable. If I had known that it contained the DRM when I bought it, I wouldn't have (Which is probably one of the reasons why it isn't mentioned anywhere on the box). Installing it now that it's mine is no matter, because the actual software doesn't bother me. I won't be buying anything else from CA, though, because their software is invasive.

keravnos
11-08-2007, 00:25
To make EB2 truly unique, after EB1 (and how it was perceived thanks to you guys) we would need all the potential M2TW has to offer, if it is to be truly spectacular. And it will be.

If the price for that would be to alienate those of you who will not buy Kingdoms, then so be it.

Elminster12
11-08-2007, 06:11
To make EB2 truly unique, after EB1 (and how it was perceived thanks to you guys) we would need all the potential M2TW has to offer, if it is to be truly spectacular. And it will be.

If the price for that would be to alienate those of you who will not buy Kingdoms, then so be it.
I'm a major fanboy, but I'll be getting it pretty much just for EB...

Elthore
11-08-2007, 18:45
yeah, Ill only be "getting" it for EB2 for sure.

At the very least, people should be made aware of this stuff. More popular games like Bioshock are possibily going to be recieving law suits from consumers.

I Am Herenow
11-08-2007, 18:56
...after EB1 (and how it was perceived thanks to you guys)...

Meaning?

Iasonis
11-08-2007, 19:14
Just make sure you delete the registry values that kingdoms puts on your cpu. I think they stay after delete. I have kingdoms and just removed it, i just dont like it, not bc of the values it writes into your registry. After standard delete you have to play search and destroy on your own cpu, under start go to run and type regedit, but be careful you can mess your cpu up bad if you delete the wrong entries.

hellenes
11-09-2007, 01:13
I have a hope that by the time EB2 is released SEGA (I never call them CA because CA doesnt exist deal with it people) will remove the Securom7 from Kingdoms as happened with some other games and Starforce...just a hope...

Starforge
11-09-2007, 09:08
I'm not a black helicopter type of guy and I don't personally pirate / copy / crack software. Not too much worried about these types of copy protections and never had a problem with them. /shrug.

As to them gathering personal information - sure, it's possible (hell, it's possible within pretty much any software you install, games included.) The legal exposure to the company if caught (and they would be given the hue and cry over it here...probably kids sitting in their basements monitoring every packet as I type) would be devastating. Yeah, they add that language into the EULA which would last them all of 5 seconds in front of a judge if they maliciously used that software to steal private information. (gee, your honor, I told them they might get robbed...then I robbed them - how can you hold me accountable for that?)

Finally, if the team decided the features offered with Kingdoms will make EB2 a better game - given the effort and work put into v1 to make it the excellent experience it is, I'll trust their judgement on which version to make EB2 on.

Fanboy? maybe, but then the folks here have earned my respect.

hellenes
11-11-2007, 04:18
I'm not a black helicopter type of guy and I don't personally pirate / copy / crack software. Not too much worried about these types of copy protections and never had a problem with them. /shrug.

As to them gathering personal information - sure, it's possible (hell, it's possible within pretty much any software you install, games included.) The legal exposure to the company if caught (and they would be given the hue and cry over it here...probably kids sitting in their basements monitoring every packet as I type) would be devastating. Yeah, they add that language into the EULA which would last them all of 5 seconds in front of a judge if they maliciously used that software to steal private information. (gee, your honor, I told them they might get robbed...then I robbed them - how can you hold me accountable for that?)

Finally, if the team decided the features offered with Kingdoms will make EB2 a better game - given the effort and work put into v1 to make it the excellent experience it is, I'll trust their judgement on which version to make EB2 on.

Fanboy? maybe, but then the folks here have earned my respect.

Anyway Kingdoms works even without Securerom...learn to google people...

Starforge
11-11-2007, 04:35
Anyway Kingdoms works even without Securerom...learn to google people...

Don't care - so why would I google it? Congrats, however, for those who were concerened :).

hellenes
11-11-2007, 13:56
Don't care - so why would I google it? Congrats, however, for those who were concerened :).

Good for you...thanks god that we got this amazing online programming community that provides solutions...Cant wait for EBII now!!!! :sweatdrop:

Barigos
11-13-2007, 11:48
I will definitely play EB2,even if I have to install that crappy Vista!!!

hellenes
11-13-2007, 19:17
I will definitely play EB2,even if I have to install that crappy Vista!!!

Kingdoms aint Vista only...its not even DX10.

Bobolicious
11-17-2007, 04:36
I dont care how easy it is to take off, i would have bought kingdoms just so i could play EB2 but I guess this changes things. Oh well

Copperknickers
11-21-2007, 21:08
Has noone noticed that the only way this affects people i have seen so far is if they are taking part in illegal activities? By breaking the laws of computer companies, you lose all their protection, that is how this works, obviously. Of course i do not want this kind of thing on my computer, but then again, i dont want to be caught on camera an average of 100 times a day, but it never does and probably never will even warrant my notice. Not to mention that if anything did happed fraud wise, you would likely make an enormous profit out of a lawsuit, they wont take that risk beleive me.

Foot
11-22-2007, 05:38
Has noone noticed that the only way this affects people i have seen so far is if they are taking part in illegal activities? By breaking the laws of computer companies, you lose all their protection, that is how this works, obviously. Of course i do not want this kind of thing on my computer, but then again, i dont want to be caught on camera an average of 100 times a day, but it never does and probably never will even warrant my notice. Not to mention that if anything did happed fraud wise, you would likely make an enormous profit out of a lawsuit, they wont take that risk beleive me.

Wrong actually. I can't use Filemon any more with MTW2 which is a huge shame for discovering bugs in EB. Filemon is a program that monitors the activities of programs on the computer. Securom doesn't like it and will cause the game not to start if it is running, you have to restart the computer just to get into the game. You can start the game first and then load filemon afterwards, but securom won't allow any further use of that program once you've exited it once until you restart the computer.

Just because a company states that its program is to be used to defend copyright and only harms those dealing in illegal activities, doesn't make them correct. The innocent are harmed far more than the criminals.

Foot

Geoffrey S
11-22-2007, 08:13
Last I checked, those engaged in illegal activity simply went on downloading games despite all these great security programs; the only ones affected are legal buyers, as always, who are stuck with unwanted programs which may quite conceivably compromise security of a pc or affect other programs.

Puupertti Ruma
11-22-2007, 18:00
I think it was representative of Starforge (another nasty malware-type copyright protection software) that said that ultimate goal of copy protection software is to delay the eventual cracking of the game for the critical couple of months, during which the bulk of the games sales are made. After the copy protection has been cracked it serves no purpose, it only makes the life of law abiding retail owning people more difficult, with the added harm of enabling backdoors to their computers.

Fortunately I personally don't know of any troijan, virus or malware that uses these backdoors. Please correct me if I am wrong.

(ps. sorry for the really long sentences)

Mouzafphaerre
11-22-2007, 20:28

I think it was representative of Starforge (another nasty malware-type copyright protection software) that said that ultimate goal of copy protection software is to delay the eventual cracking of the game for the critical couple of months

As some other poster told here or over at the Securom related thread, Kingdoms was cracked what? within the week of release or something like that.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
11-22-2007, 21:09
As some other poster told here or over at the Securom related thread, Kingdoms was cracked what? within the week of release or something like that.Even worse - it was under twenty-four hours.

kambiz
11-22-2007, 21:18
Even worse. It was under twenty-four hours.lol Yeah. Without exaggeration ,it was cracked within first 24 hours. But I'm wondering ,Does CA not really aware of this fact after all of those years being in gaming business??! I don't understand why they think these softwares can delay cracking their games?!

Omanes Alexandrapolites
11-22-2007, 21:36
Unfortunately the CA don't make the decision. It's the publishers, in this case SEGA, who select the copy protection mechanism. Due to this, SEGA are the only ones with the power to officially allow SecuROM's removal. The only problem is they are not actually part of the community, so don't see any of these problems the ordinary consumer is facing. In addition, I doubt they look around to investigate the success of their strategies, so probably are ignorant to SecuROM's failure.

Birka Viking
11-23-2007, 22:57
I have kingdoms and have absolutely no problems at all. The only problem with kingdom that I can think about is for you with low end computers............

MiniMe
11-24-2007, 03:48
All this developing technocrap actually makes me feel a bit nervous. Tracking software, passport microchips, cameras everywhere...

My grandparents were living under a real totalitarian regime.
My parents were living under dying out totalitarian regime.
I live a free life and happy about it.
Are my children and grandchildren to live under a XXI century totalitarian regime again?

iceman7291
11-24-2007, 04:05
If they live in America, then yes.

antisocialmunky
11-24-2007, 05:45
Even worse - it was under twenty-four hours.

Many popular games are cracked a week before they actually come out. :book:

Ludens
11-24-2007, 13:25
Could we leave politics out of here, please? If you want to talk politics, go to the Backroom (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=19) (membership can be requested in your user CP).

Due to this, SEGA are the only ones with the power to officially allow SecuROM's removal. The only problem is they are not actually part of the community, so don't see any of these problems the ordinary consumer is facing. In addition, I doubt they look around to investigate the success of their strategies, so probably are ignorant to SecuROM's failure.
I am rather suprised you think that. The software industry is very competitive, so you bet they look very carefully at whether their strategies get results. SecuROM is a failure, but no more than any other attempt to stop piracy, and while it is not going to stop the really determined hackers, I suppose it had some effect at "schoolyard software distributors". Perhaps.

Not that any of this makes the inclusion of malware more acceptable.

bovi
11-25-2007, 14:50
Securom is the reason why I have had to download the cracked Kingdoms executable, precisely for the reason that Foot says. I have to use FileMon occasionally, and Kingdoms refuses to load if it has been run at any time since last boot. When I took it up with Securom, they said I should reboot before playing. Having to reboot just to play is not good enough for me, and it has no effect at all on pirates. Securom/Starforce has only ever helped annoy paying customers. Those who are unwilling to pay for the game will continue unperturbed.

I think the only copy protection scheme that has ever worked is Stardock's. Which is no protection at all, until you download patches that improve the game immensely. Only those with a legal purchase can download those updates, it's painless and effective. Those who don't care about the game enough to pay to get those are probably the same people who would not pay to get the game in the first place, so no money is lost.

hellenes
11-25-2007, 21:48
Securom is the reason why I have had to download the cracked Kingdoms executable, precisely for the reason that Foot says. I have to use FileMon occasionally, and Kingdoms refuses to load if it has been run at any time since last boot. When I took it up with Securom, they said I should reboot before playing. Having to reboot just to play is not good enough for me, and it has no effect at all on pirates. Securom/Starforce has only ever helped annoy paying customers. Those who are unwilling to pay for the game will continue unperturbed.

I think the only copy protection scheme that has ever worked is Stardock's. Which is no protection at all, until you download patches that improve the game immensely. Only those with a legal purchase can download those updates, it's painless and effective. Those who don't care about the game enough to pay to get those are probably the same people who would not pay to get the game in the first place, so no money is lost.

But you see the CA=SEGA company is one two patches kind of deal they dont patch their games frequently....
Ive removed SEcurom and still enjoy Kingdoms either way SEGA=CA should understand that until the net is tamed through nazi like regulations piracy will be unstoppable...A single player game and piracy is like a 10 years old girl in a room with a paedophile...

born2dive67
11-26-2007, 03:25
I also dont have any problems what so ever using deamons, hacks, keygens, AVG. everything works on my puter as good as new. no problems what so ever.

I think the problem is just like when steam came out and everyone freaked on that one.

bovi
11-26-2007, 19:45
But you see the CA=SEGA company is one two patches kind of deal they dont patch their games frequently....
Seeing as the total war games the last couple of years have been really weak in their first iteration, including Kingdoms which doesn't even get any patches for advertised, broken features, they certainly would benefit from adopting this model.

A single player game and piracy is like a 10 years old girl in a room with a paedophile...
Galactic Civilizations 2 is a single player game and works fine with it. Those who pay get improved AI that can counter exploits that become known, new features (a few, most are reserved for expansions naturally), improved interface etc.

Dibran88
11-27-2007, 01:12
I have a question of my own. for the love of God why is every faction in EB1 speaking Greek. Illiriyan's never spoke Greek. neither did romans and what not. No disrespect to the team or anyone who is Greek. but either add some diversity with native tongues or make it all English in game. one of my friends was playing against a Serbian or rather Baltic faction, and they were speaking greek.?

is this a feature that hopefully will not be included in the next version.

Again no disrespect to the team or anyone who is Greek. i just believe for more accuracy, either have them speak the native tongue if you can find it, or just have it all in English ( when you click on the faction and they recite there profession).

Admetos
11-27-2007, 01:40
I'm sure I just read that exact post in another thread...

Foot
11-27-2007, 05:27
I have a question of my own. for the love of God why is every faction in EB1 speaking Greek. Illiriyan's never spoke Greek. neither did romans and what not. No disrespect to the team or anyone who is Greek. but either add some diversity with native tongues or make it all English in game. one of my friends was playing against a Serbian or rather Baltic faction, and they were speaking greek.?

Again no disrespect to the team or anyone who is Greek. i just believe for more accuracy, either have them speak the native tongue if you can find it, or just have it all in English ( when you click on the faction and they recite there profession).

Not all voicemods have been completed yet, this is an ongoing project. In the end the most appropriate language for every faction will be implemented, as long as it is a language that can reasonably be reconstructed.

Foot

hellenes
11-27-2007, 21:26
Seeing as the total war games the last couple of years have been really weak in their first iteration, including Kingdoms which doesn't even get any patches for advertised, broken features, they certainly would benefit from adopting this model.

Galactic Civilizations 2 is a single player game and works fine with it. Those who pay get improved AI that can counter exploits that become known, new features (a few, most are reserved for expansions naturally), improved interface etc.

But you see these stuff can be found online for free still...same with STEAM that was cracked days after launch...On the other hand try playing on any private WoW server the lag will make you vomit...

mlc82
12-01-2007, 00:39

Actually, with StarForce, it did. I didn't know Silent Hunter III used Starforce protection (or even what SF was) when I bought it, installed it, and soon afterward realized that the cd drive I installed the game from started running at the slowest speed it could. That drive would take upward of an hour to install any other game on a single CD, while my other drive would install the same game in the less than 5 minutes. I can't PROVE that SF was the problem, however the drive worked fine both before installing Silent Hunter III, and while installing it, then just slowed itself to a crawl.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to speak on the forum of how to legally buy a game and still get around this sort of copy protection (it requires use of a "patch I shall not name" that isn't official, and allows playing the game without the CD in the drive)...

Pharnakes
12-01-2007, 16:46

I have no idea about the baltic people, but the Romani most definately don't speak Greek, they speak latin.

Maybe they spoke greek in 0.7X, but since 0.8 its definately been Latin.

bovi
12-01-2007, 17:05
But you see these stuff can be found online for free still...same with STEAM that was cracked days after launch...On the other hand try playing on any private WoW server the lag will make you vomit...
You're right, I guess I just didn't check the net for the patches. Indeed you can find some of the updates on Filefront etc. I don't know whether these work on non-registered versions.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft managed to wipe the net of their updates to Rise of Legends though, and that one I have checked, as they botched up their own update service so that the game can't actually update at all.

Meneldil
12-01-2007, 17:45
Has noone noticed that the only way this affects people i have seen so far is if they are taking part in illegal activities?

Do you have anything to support the claim that Mouzafphaerre, Bobolicious, or for that matter, any of the dozens people who stated they wouldn't be buying Kingdom are actually taking part in illegal activities ?
Yeah, you don't.

Just to sum it up : if I was taking part in illegal activities, I would not even bother about securom. On the other hand, if I buy kingdom, I might find myself with a game that can't run on my PC or screw up other programs. Thanks, but not thanks. I already *bought* a game that *wouldn't freaking work at all* thanks to Starforce, I'm not even going to see what will be happening with Securom.

Tellos Athenaios
12-01-2007, 19:48
I have no idea about the baltic people, but the Romani most definately don't speak Greek, they speak latin.

Maybe they spoke greek in 0.7X, but since 0.8 its definately been Latin.

They didn't speak Greek in 0.7x: the Greeks spoke Latin and so did the Romans (in EB 0.7x not in the *real* world). Culture bug.

russia almighty
12-01-2007, 23:22
Even though I don't like it secrom is no where near as bad as starforce . That has been known to fry optical drives .

eddy_purpus
03-03-2008, 03:08
soooo . . .
kingdoms have malware man ?
because im buying a laptop to play the total series . . .:lipsrsealed2:
does any antivirus stop that malware you guys are talkin about ?
:feedback: :tumbleweed:

Tellos Athenaios
03-03-2008, 03:28
Kingdoms contains Securom AFAIK. And that one has been classified as Malware.

Whether it is still the case when some anticipated patch is out, I dunno. There appear to be tools to remove Securom with, though but then Kingdoms won't work anymore or so the story goes. I, myself, don't know mainly because:
1) I haven't played M2TW-K yet.
2) I haven't bothered to remove Securom et all yet.

Spartan198
03-12-2008, 15:01
...putting something on your computer that you didn't ask for...
That's exactly what put Kingdoms one slot beneath the T-virus on my list.
EB2 for Kingdoms = No EB2 for me.
Sorry.

antisocialmunky
03-12-2008, 15:34
Well, then you're missing out or not thinking outside the box hard enough.

hellenes
03-12-2008, 18:48
That's exactly what put Kingdoms one slot beneath the T-virus on my list.
EB2 for Kingdoms = No EB2 for me.
Sorry.

EB2 for kingdoms + NOCD exe=NO securom=EB2 for me...
:balloon2:

antisocialmunky
03-12-2008, 21:08
= warning for posting about illegal altered EXE's.

hellenes
03-12-2008, 22:50
= warning for posting about illegal altered EXE's.

=not in all countries NOCD are illegal.... If you own the original copy of the game you have the right to make a backup or not use the DVD in order to preserve it...
Anyway malware rootkits have no place in my PC...my bank account details are FAAAR more important to me than SEGA and CA combined...
Nothing personal just business...

Spartan198
03-13-2008, 01:08
Well, then you're missing out or not thinking outside the box hard enough.
It's the fact that Kingdoms would install software on my machine without my permission. Malicious software,at that. My system is set so that even the administrator account needs manual permission to install software of any kind,whatsoever.
Would I be missing out on both Kingdoms and EB2? Yes,no doubt. I can't describe how much that sucks. But if SecuRom damages my system,I would be missing out on Kingdoms,EBII,M2TW,RTW,BI,RTW XGM,Alexander,etc..

Please don't misinterpret me here,as I'm not bad-mouthing EB2's crew or growing fanbase in any way,but I gotta protect my system,EB2 or no EB2. If that's what you mean by not thinking outside the box hard enough,then I'll keep my mind inside that box,thank you. If the EB fanbase alienates me because of it,well,then so be it. It's not the only mod in existance.

Teleklos Archelaou
03-13-2008, 04:28
You guys can download it if you want, or leave it alone. The decision has definitely been made and the mod is being created on Kingdoms for a while already now. No if's, and's, or but's about it - that is the platform. If you can reverse-engineer it or something like that, to get it back to vanilla M2TW, then great, but if it's not, there is no need to worry with it.

antisocialmunky
03-13-2008, 14:15
=not in all countries NOCD are illegal.... If you own the original copy of the game you have the right to make a backup or not use the DVD in order to preserve it...
Anyway malware rootkits have no place in my PC...my bank account details are FAAAR more important to me than SEGA and CA combined...
Nothing personal just business...

True, but isn't there a no illegal stuff clause somewhere since in alot of places, modifying retail EXEs is illegal in certain places and its not good for having relationships with game companies.

@Spartan Glory, I was hinting at what Hellenes said. Go get the NoCD thing and get rid of Securom if you want.

Sigh, people really over react to this sort of thing. There are more dangerous things than a badly designed disk verification system.

The things a piece of badly implemented crap that makes my stomach turn that anyone in their right mind would use. But to be fair to Sega, I don't think that I've even seen any research supporting that its a big security hole People just seemed to automatically jump to the conclusion that that's what it will do. This version hasn't yet proved to be so problematic.

I think many of the people initially concerned about it were still running off the post Bioshock fallout. Which I believe used a different implementation since my antivirus flagged that and not the kingdoms EXE. The truth is that I don't think anyone that has posted here including myself has a complete understanding of what's exactly going on internally since no one has picked it apart yet.

The thing borders on rootkit because of what it does to the registry, the fact that it keeps a very low profile, and because it stays on your computer after you uninstall the game(which makes sense... I mean STEAM does the same thing). The only real problem is that its hard to delete and it impacts the performance of your computer.

Like I said before, I don't think that anyone has proven that it opens up a gaping security hole like the BMG disk thing that Sony put out. Of course you're entitled to your decisions but while it is important, don't blow it out of proportion... PLEASE. :2thumbsup:

You'll just create panic where only awareness is needed. :2thumbsup:

Mouzafphaerre
03-13-2008, 14:16
I'd expect better from you than this kind of bravado rant Teleklos. :no:

Spartan198
03-13-2008, 18:04
@Spartan Glory, I was hinting at what Hellenes said.
You posted right after me with no quote as to who your comment was directed toward,so I wrongly assumed that it was me :oops:,and I apologize for my hostile statement toward you.

My point,while not directed anymore toward Munky,still stands. I'm not trying to bash the EB2 crew or fanbase,push EB2 to another Total War game,or anything like that. If anyone else already has or plans on getting Kingdoms to play EB2,SecuRom or not,that's your choice and I respect that. My statement just reflects what I believe to be most ethical right now for me alone,no one else. Not the team,not the fans,not anyone but me.

Off topic: I've been trying to download EB from the Total War Center,but I just keep getting a "cannot display webpage" message.
A little help,please,unless the EB crew feels the urge to skin me alive?

Teleklos Archelaou
03-13-2008, 18:26
I'd expect better from you than this kind of bravado rant Teleklos. :no:
really? That is one of the least ranty posts I've made in a while I would think mouz. honestly. :embarassed: We decided as a team to use the kingdoms build, and there is zero talk inside the team about doing something differently. Look back over my post again - it's just simple really: we're already working on the kingdoms version and that's about it.

Tellos Athenaios
03-13-2008, 18:47
Yeah, TA no 1 (:grin:) is absolutely right there: EB2 has already begun; and it has already been begun with M2TW-K in mind. For instance, all in-game stuff showed (save for the units perhaps) is from an EBII mod on kingdoms; using the 'new' version of the modswitch.

Mouzafphaerre
03-14-2008, 03:48
really? That is one of the least ranty posts I've made in a while I would think mouz. honestly. :embarassed: We decided as a team to use the kingdoms build, and there is zero talk inside the team about doing something differently. Look back over my post again - it's just simple really: we're already working on the kingdoms version and that's about it.
Well, we (I) already know it. Foot said it a while ago, in this very thread. :shrug:

But why the harsh tone? ~:handball:

Teleklos Archelaou
03-14-2008, 04:14
Two people posting yesterday on the EB2 forum that they won't be downloading EB2 for a reason that is way past changing for us. Too bad. All I said was "You guys can download it if you want, or leave it alone." Mouz, there's nothing harsh about that - really.

Callahan9119
03-19-2008, 17:36
never had a problem with securom. i'm an honest customer and it doesnt ever piss me off.

and i'v seen the same offenders all over the forum for the crusade to not play kingdoms because of securom ......hijacking threads

if you dont like it dont play the game, case closed.

and the argument that you have to buy 2 games to play eb2 if they use kingdoms is kinda weak, i got the gold edition on the internet for like 17 dollars new....oh the woe

looking forward to EB2

eddy_purpus
03-19-2008, 20:28
That's pretty much self-explanatory. The fact that removing it is extremely tedious is another problem aswell.
It also creates issues if you're using some legal programs such as Deamontools, AVG and what not.

And don't get me started on the fact that paying consummers are always getting screwed up by this kind of copy-protection thingie (ie. starforce, Bioshock), while people who get the game illegaly will solve the issue in 5 min. So yeah, I won't be buying Kingdoms, and thus, won't be playing EB2, at least until the release a patch to get rid of securom (which will likely never happens).

about that .
why dont you post a thread when EBII comes out or 2 months before it comes out . . .
im surely with your idea of a patch to remove SecuRom .

eddy_purpus
03-19-2008, 20:36
Last I checked, those engaged in illegal activity simply went on downloading games despite all these great security programs; the only ones affected are legal buyers, as always, who are stuck with unwanted programs which may quite conceivably compromise security of a pc or affect other programs.

Right there . it is true . because i had no trouble playing M2TW witouth kingdoms .
now i cant even install Kingdoms nor play M2TW =(

make a patch pleasee before EBII comes out !!!
=(

Leave Britney Alonee LoL :P was watching that video today :P Lol