PDA

View Full Version : Old news...good news!

DaCrAzYmOfO
11-10-2007, 22:52
Well....I just played a mod called blue lotus...

Its pretty good, but what came to mind while playing it was....

THEY HAVE FREAKING MONKS THAT SHOOT FIRE OUTTA THEIR HANDS!

This could be put in as junk a sorceror would use or what not.

Maybe yall can ask those guys how they did it, would bring a big flavor to this mod if we had sorcerors....

Just ask em about the monk masters....

Something else I saw.....some of the beasties they have like....open and close their mouths while running...might be good for chaos daemons....

Krazysigmarite
11-10-2007, 23:07
They fire it in volleys, which is why Bwain decided to cut magic - it would look silly.

Bwian
11-11-2007, 00:52
The fire is just a modified projectile weapon. Archers fire arrows...change the arrows for flame jets...done.

But, As Krazysigmarite pointed out, they fire in volleys like the archers do, and I don;t like that effect!

DaCrAzYmOfO
11-11-2007, 03:06
:O

Haha ok...well idk I just thought that mod was real well done...with ethereal units (yes they actually look transparent) and some with no legs lol...

But im pretty sure yall already know how to mod that so :P

Either way this thread is useless now so close it if you wish :P

Cheers and ill still be around keeping my eye on this!

FOR THE EMPEROR!

Enthes
11-11-2007, 05:50
thats the only problem with TW no special characters. unless u do them as a leader of a unit.

Pantsalot
11-11-2007, 17:23
Probaly make a General Discussion topic for this mod so that
we won't have to bother with all these topics that ask or suggest
things..

Bwian
11-11-2007, 18:50
Actually, threads like this can be very useful, and I certainly don;t want to stop them!

It is an interesting thought about making a leader unit a Mage, and having the rest of hte units as some kind of guard.

I will test that Enthes.

If it works, I could have a missile 'officer' with a small unit sized unit...so that there is one Mage with around a dozen acolytes guarding him. These would be knife armed and weak, while the 'officer' throws huge fireballs about the field of battle. It all depends on how the game treats this.

Never tried it...so there is only one way to find out! Might screw with the AI ... might not. Worst case, I will make the Acolytes a missile unit too, with no ammo and an invisible weapon. Going to try it, and will report back!

Bwian
11-11-2007, 19:19
Nope... Officers do not fire period. Even when they are with a unit that fires, they do not.

Nice thought...but no go.

Jubal_Barca
11-11-2007, 21:04
I have an idea...

Make the mage a siege weapon, and the guards crew. You'd need to do some anim tweaks to make sure they didn't reach down and push him along, but it might work.

A Norseman
11-11-2007, 23:11
Omg! that might work!! wuld look wonderfull too.. as most tabletop wisards are atached to a guardian unit anyway. High elven Swordmasters are a guardian to mages. And the temple guards of the lizardmen are guardians of the slann.

If doable.. that is somthing you shuld seriusly consider to add to the mod.

Spankfurt
11-12-2007, 02:06
Quite good, quite good. Now what about opening and closing mouths while running? that would be quite good too.

Myrddraal
11-12-2007, 11:14
thats the only problem with TW no special characters. unless u do them as a leader of a unit.

As Bwain said, officer cannot fire in any circumstances. However it is possible to make units containing a single character. It involves a slight workaround where you create the character as a mount (elephant), and then give him invisible riders till the minimum number of troops per unit is met by a single soldier.

This way you can have special characters throwing fireballs.

If you need idea's for different types of magic I'm more than willing to share my ideas for WoT (RIP), you need not be limited to fireballs.

Good luck!

DaCrAzYmOfO
11-12-2007, 21:28
Ahhh yes....yeah the one he was talking about was the one with the demons ...the big cat demons myrdraal.....

I just thought it woudl be interesting....HOWEVER....

BLUE LOTUS=AWESOME AND GJ!

Only thing is that the demons come waaaayyy too late into the game lol

Bwian
11-12-2007, 21:41
Jubal...sadly the siege weapons are way too hard-coded to be any use at all. The RTW weapons had the push points and crew positions in plain text ...but not so M2TW. The skeletons and animations for the siege unit itself mean that there is no way to make a sorcerors move like a human.

The mount trick can be made to work. It's not quite so simple as the RTW one, since you actually need to make up a new skeleton and animation entries for the descr_skeleton text wheras the RTW one would just let you stick a human in as the described model in descr_mount. Had some major problems trying to get this to work well in a M2TW context, so Myrddraal, if you got this to work well in M2TW, I would be interested to see exactly what approach you got to work and how small you got the units.

I wonder if it would work the other way round. If I made the total units very small, and then added maximum officers as the guard units.

I really would like to have some magic throwing units in teh mod, but ONLY if it can be made to look right, and that means not having a gaggle of wizards firing volleys of fireballs!

Myrddraal
11-13-2007, 16:45
if you got this to work well in M2TW

ah... umm... no I can't say I've tried modding M2TW at all actually. I just assumed it would be the same as RTW. If you can get the individual soldier, the world is your oyster when it comes to wizards.

My messing around with various explosion and projectile models you can (at least in RTW) have lightning from the sky, earth explosions, people being thrown around on air etc. It's great fun, but I'm sorry I haven't got it working in M2TW. :sad:

Jubal_Barca
11-13-2007, 17:39
Myddraal, can I talk to you about this for WHTW1? How've you done some of those effects?

Myrddraal
11-14-2007, 17:38
Sure, it's a really simple concept essentially.

In brief, and assuming you understand the projectile system:

You can create individual units by the above method. For a worked example I suggest you download LoTR totalwar, they have some single man units in there.

A good effect to start on is throwing fireballs, you can do that using current models for the flaming catapault projectiles and exisiting animations for javelin throwing. If you want a quick fix easy wizard, take your model, give him a javelin man's animations, make a copy of the flaming catapault projectile (so you can tweak the stats) and add it to the wizard. You now have a fireball throwing wizard.

From that stage on, it's all about manipulating explosions and projectiles. For a worked example of projectile editing, look at Blue Lotus (I'm not sure if he edited explosions), for a worked example of edited explosions, look at N2TW (for cannon hits).

Fire Magic:
Fireball projectile + Fire explosion

Earth Magic:
Invisible projectile + Earthy explosion (for example the current catapault hits)
= Earth exploding under enemy feet.

Wind Magic:
Invisible projectile + Invisible explosion
= Men being thrown around by nothing

Lightning Magic?
Invisible projectile + very tall explosion shaped like a lightning bolt
= Lightning from the sky? Never tried this one but I'd love to see it working...

And endless variations, you can do almost anything really. Really great fun to play with. If you want more detail I can try to dig out my Aes Sedai from where they rest in peace.

PS, there are some problems with invisible projectiles, they can hit hills and buildings (if you put your wizard behind a building for example) so the explosion happens in the wrong place, but big deal...

Jubal_Barca
11-14-2007, 18:24
I've got fire mages (araby) and boosty mages (Brettonia)... I'll have fun trying some of these.. :yes:

Pantsalot
11-15-2007, 21:37
Probaly leave that to be discussed on the WHTW1 pages?