PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Total PC Gaming Preview

Templar Knight
11-12-2007, 21:02
Did anyone see the preview/interview in this months Total PC Gaming?

No new land battle screens but some nice naval ones.

Also there appears to be a new 'throne room' in the form of a parliament, your government gives you missions.

They also said, wait for it..... a release date of March 2008, and they said that Empire is 75% complete, however TotalWar.com has announced this is rubbish.

Maybe March 2009....

www.totalpcgaming.com

Mailman653
11-12-2007, 22:04
Ooooh...prototype interface, looks nice to see what an ingame shot looks like those ships look amazing.

As for March 09.......:gah:

Cecil XIX
11-12-2007, 22:43
I'd be happy if they took their time. Lord knows MII:TW could have used some more.

Captain Fishpants
11-13-2007, 10:39
:oops: We're still trying to work out where March 2008 and "75% complete" came from. Yes, the game looks quite good (so that might have caused a little confusion), but it's still early days yet. Perhaps we should put this down to enthusiasm on someone's part, somewhere in the great editorial chain of being!

Templar Knight
11-13-2007, 12:56
I posted the question at their forums Captain Fishpants, he claims sources in Sega told him Q1 back in October.

Vuk
11-13-2007, 13:52
:oops: We're still trying to work out where March 2008 and "75% complete" came from. Yes, the game looks quite good (so that might have caused a little confusion), but it's still early days yet. Perhaps we should put this down to enthusiasm on someone's part, somewhere in the great editorial chain of being!

Or either that, it is what you are hoping for and someone slipped with the info. ~;)
Oh well...

Templar Knight
11-13-2007, 14:07
Here is the exact words:

...according to my trustworthy sources at Sega and CA, they're aiming for a Q1 release, which is why I plumped for as late in Q1 as I possibly could.

Sure, you have to take that with a pinch of salt as details like that are always subject to change, but then that's the nature of a preview.

I quoted the news on totalwar.com that said the mag was wrong and he said:

Ha! I stand officially corrected then!

Seriously, I wrote this about a month ago with the information I was given at the time. Embarrassing, but understandable, surely?

Jack Lusted
11-13-2007, 14:56
Or either that, it is what you are hoping for and someone slipped with the info. ~;)
Oh well...

The game is still pre-alpha atm, we are not aiming for a March release date, that info is not true.

Vuk
11-13-2007, 16:57
The game is still pre-alpha atm, we are not aiming for a March release date, that info is not true.

lol, k. ;)
That is good to hear. Take as long as you need. :) (looking at those screens, I'd think you would have to be rushing it out pretty quickly to make that release date. :P)

Shahed
11-13-2007, 17:38
Did anyone see the preview/interview in this months Total PC Gaming?

No new land battle screens but some nice naval ones.

Also there appears to be a new 'throne room' in the form of a parliament, your government gives you missions.

They also said, wait for it..... a release date of March 2008, and they said that Empire is 75% complete, however TotalWar.com has announced this is rubbish.

Maybe March 2009....

www.totalpcgaming.com

Is the link correct ? It's giving me a 404.

marrow
11-13-2007, 17:46
Is the link correct ? It's giving me a 404.

Under construction, apparently. Cheers

Templar Knight
11-13-2007, 18:28
Hmm, its working for me :inquisitive:

Captain Fishpants
11-14-2007, 11:14
Oh well...

Is there any point in coming here - as one of the developers who is actually working to create this game - to post information that corrects a rumour if I'm then second-guessed about what I really mean?

Thought not. Carry on believing whatever you want.

Sigh.

TinCow
11-14-2007, 15:41
Is there any point in coming here - as one of the developers who is actually working to create this game - to post information that corrects a rumour if I'm then second-guessed about what I really mean?

Sigh.

Don't be offended. I think it's a natural bias against people with fish in their pants. I knew a guy once with a mackerel in his trousers and no one trusted him either.

methoz
11-14-2007, 20:34
not in anouncet - 2008 ??? omg

Divinus Arma
11-15-2007, 04:40
Captain Fishpants:

I think I can speak for almost every loyal fan of the series, please take your time!!!

This is a HUGE change in the series, and while most of us are thrilled, we want to see the amazing potential of this new era realized.

I for one can wait as long as necessary. End of 2008? Great. 2009? No problem. It'll just give me time to save for yet another new computer to play this one.

hellenes
11-15-2007, 12:41
Captain Fishpants:

I think I can speak for almost every loyal fan of the series, please take your time!!!

This is a HUGE change in the series, and while most of us are thrilled, we want to see the amazing potential of this new era realized.

I for one can wait as long as necessary. End of 2008? Great. 2009? No problem. It'll just give me time to save for yet another new computer to play this one.

RTW was released 1 year later than it was supposed...the devs stated themselves in an interview...didnt improve the 1.0 version at all...

ninjahboy
11-15-2007, 13:56
wow, the new screenies are looking great so far!

Vladimir
11-15-2007, 14:08

Sigh.

Welcome to the internet? :sweatdrop:

Dutch_guy
11-15-2007, 14:25
I think that following the trend of the game releases, with M2 being released Q4 of 2006, and Rome Q4 2004, we can safely assume Empire will be released around Q4 of 2008, or sometime in Q1 of 2009. Needless to say, the aforementioned is deduced from previous experiences, and is by no means certain. I imagine the addition of Naval warfare, and with that the need to significantly change the engine in its current form, will take up a lot of time - which can of course push the release back to somewhere in 2009.

:balloon2:

Puzz3D
11-15-2007, 17:17
I'm not certain of the division, AU or UK, but as I recall:

STW UK Q2 2000
MTW AU Q3 2002
RTW UK Q3 2004
M2TW AU Q4 2006

The release dates have been slipping about 2 months with each release. RTW had a large patching effort which might impact the release date of ETW.

Shahed
11-15-2007, 19:26
Hi guys, can someone please post me a link to the screenshots in that totalpcgaming link. It's not working for me, maybe some DNS issue or I dunno what. Tried clearing the cache and all. Would appreciate it.

Templar Knight
11-15-2007, 19:41
Try this Sinan: http://www.totalpcgaming.com/media_screenshots.html

Shahed
11-15-2007, 19:49
Thanks Templar ! That worked ! It looks BEAUTIFUL.
Hope it has DEPTH as well as good looks.

Captain Fishpants, I'm guessing you guys have gone through all the naval games. If you have'nt one I'd highly recommend trying out is Silent Hunter 3, unmodded first, for simplicity. Then modded with the GWX (Grey Wolves X) unofficial modification expansion pack. The reason why I'm mentioning this is that you can get a lot of ideas about hydrophysics (bouyancy etc) from this game and particulary form this modification to that game. Even though the game is set in WW2, the basics of the physics engine can probably be of help to you.

Best of luck with the new title !

Csargo
11-15-2007, 22:49
Sinan your sig is HUGE.

Shahed
11-16-2007, 01:20
Same as always, 400*150 <10Kb. Maybe looks larger because of the subject.

Csargo
11-16-2007, 04:35
Looks fine now. Wonder if it's because I'm on a different computer.

HarunTaiwan
11-16-2007, 10:38
Why worry about release dates? I did for RTW and was disappointed.

For MTW2, I ignored the hype and waited to about 9-12 months after release...then I could get an actual finished product with the 1.5 patches they begrudge us, plus the fan created mod that makes the game somewhat playable. (LTC)

Still like the series, but now I am wiser in when I purchase and thus avoid much of the disappointment.

Puzz3D
11-16-2007, 12:38
That prototype interface pictured gives you less tactical control of your ships than the interface in Privateer's Bounty.

brandybarrel
11-16-2007, 15:01
I checked out the naval interface and studied it for some time. Granted it is a prototype or pre-alpha, I would still like to pose some questions and make a few comments.

1. The black and gold icons are really intuitive. I really like them. For example, I can see that you can select your type of shot: ball, chain, and grape. I am assuming that the purpose of selecting ball is to sink the enemy ship, chain is to de-mast and still the ship for boarding and the grape is to clear the enemy deck of personnel. Is this correct? Will the relevant guns automatically fire (e.g. elevate) for each type of shot?

2. I have noticed that there are icons to fire port and starboard deck guns. Is this just to set them at fire-at-will as former missile units? I would like to know if there would be more options such as (a) firing a broadside volley and (b) if we could actually time the broadside?

3. Will there be different kinds of units (or officers) that can be added to the ship to enhance its performance (as in navigation, rate of fire, boarding) or will there be a standard ship with a standard compliment and the ship’s performance will improve with experience and go down as men get killed off? It appears the latter when looking at the interface.

4. Also, I was a little surprised by the amount of ships the naval interface represented. I was expecting naval engagements to be limited to a handful of ships and this portion of the UI to be more descriptive about the ship and its composition. A lot of people may prefer quantity but I’m hoping for a more tactical, controlled, naval engagement.

Although Empire: Total War will be mostly about land battles, I am looking forward to how navies will be implemented and contribute to our TW experience. I expect the gaming community is too so I hope this goes off with a loud bang.

:captain:

Dutch_guy
11-16-2007, 15:13
That prototype interface pictured gives you less tactical control of your ships than the interface in Privateer's Bounty.

What would be things you'd want to see in the interface ? It's still a prototype, meaning that they can still change pretty much everything (...). I'm sure any ideas and suggestions are of use to the developers, and perhaps a handful might even make it into the game itself.

:balloon2:

Puzz3D
11-16-2007, 16:43
What would be things you'd want to see in the interface ? It's still a prototype, meaning that they can still change pretty much everything (...). I'm sure any ideas and suggestions are of use to the developers, and perhaps a handful might even make it into the game itself.
My suggestions would be aimed at increasing the tactical depth of the gameplay which is contrary to the developer's objective of streamlining the gameplay for a wider appeal. I'm sure the developer has already looked at Privateer's Bounty for ideas, and implimented a tactical depth which they feel is sufficient for the phantom majority.

Viking
11-16-2007, 20:55
Sweet graphics..

S.Selim_1
11-21-2007, 23:51
am i the only one who thinks that the water graphics from those screenshots don't look that good...i mean the sea looks like oil or liquid silver..the water just looks fake..it's better than any other other game..but not the best!

Csargo
11-21-2007, 23:58
Those are beta shots most likely they'll probably look better when they finish the game.

Templar Knight
11-22-2007, 00:15
As said before these are pre-alpha shots so I think its safe to assume that the finished ones will rock.

S.Selim_1
11-22-2007, 00:39
pre-alpha???? well any way i hope the water graphics look better

Csargo
11-22-2007, 00:39
oops my bad.

LadyAnn
11-22-2007, 13:18
I am still wary of the idea of having to look for a gust of wind...

Annie

Wolf_Kyolic
11-23-2007, 16:32

So that means it is ready to be released. CA has the habit of releasing TW games at that stage since RTW. Bring it in. Since nothing will change much after that point. CA cannot go beyond that since several years.

Templar Knight
11-23-2007, 17:11
So that means it is ready to be released. CA has the habit of releasing TW games at that stage since RTW. Bring it in. Since nothing will change much after that point. CA cannot go beyond that since several years.

Eh no.

It goes like this:

Development and Design - Pre-alpha - Alpha - Beta - Release Candidate - Gold

Ah wait, sarcasm?

anders
11-23-2007, 18:04

Sigh.

I truly believe.

and for Gods sake, take your time with this one.

Shahed
11-24-2007, 02:53
Yeah, let's they take their time with this one. No rush for me at least. Though I've always loved sea games so I'm looking forward to the naval battles. Let's hope they're as great as they can be.

Kyolic does have a fair point, reputation is important. And CA have certainly lost some of theirs. It's not something you can get back in the drop of a hat. You have to work to get it back.

Caius
11-24-2007, 03:09
please take your time!!!
I agree, we can wait for it(and give me eternal time to get the money to buy it ~D)

edyzmedieval
11-25-2007, 21:22
To be honest, I am not impressed by the graphics. Even if it is pre-alpha, they look a tad cartoony.

I do hope the game will be improved in every possible area.

rajpoot
12-04-2007, 17:47
Don't know how the guys here are so patient and all, while I too want this game to be the best RTS experiance I've ever had, yet it'll break my heart if its not released by Nov. '08..........

Zapp
12-05-2007, 11:46
To be honest, I am not impressed by the graphics. Even if it is pre-alpha, they look a tad cartoony.
I don't get it, what do you mean with "even if it's pre-alpha, they look a tad cartoony"? Maybe it's because they are pre-alpha shots they look cartoony?

I undestand what you mean by cartoony, but I don't think they will stay that way.

Ajax300
12-29-2007, 01:43
With all the hype about naval battles, I sure hope they're important in Empires than in RTW and M2TW. I mean, I've never really had a truly significant naval battle in M2TW - the AI rarely blockades, and when it does its only one port for one turn at most. Most of the time I don't build navies except occasionally one ship for transport.
Screenies look good though:2thumbsup: ...

Dayve
12-29-2007, 09:14
I don't care if it's March 2009 or December 31st 2010 as long as the AI is smarter than the dead walrus that designed it for Rome and M2.