PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Empire age rating

Templar Knight
11-13-2007, 14:59
I know that CA cannot go into detail on Empire but would it be safe to assume that Empire might have a higher age rating than previous titles since it mentions '' Weapons will jam and misfire, cannons will seize up and explode as the field of conflict becomes strewn with the bodies of wounded and dying men, lacerated and dismembered by pike, bayonet and shot.''

Furious Mental
11-13-2007, 18:53
Maybe it will be more cerebral too. Or maybe just more violent.

Frederick the Great
11-16-2007, 00:57
Well RTW was a 12+ age rating and MTW2 KINGDOMS is a 16+ age rating.
I think ETW could and should be even more bloodier!!! On land you've got drilled infantry armed with flintlock musket's formed up in rank's and delivering a deadly massed volley fire and then a fearsome bayonet charge.
Artillery had improved and their crews better trained than their medieval counterparts.For the lucky ones death was instant and for the unlucky ones a boucing or even rolling though the grass cannonball could still take a foot or leg off.Field medical assistance was rare and generally kept for the officer's
and gentry.
Cavalry carried a heavy sword capable of slicing though both skin and bone.
At sea ship's cannon's could fire various type's of shot and rake a enemy ship's deck causing horrendous casulties.
I think not only will we hear order's being issued from officer's and the sound of battle, but also the sound's of death and the cries of the dying and wounded.

iblewafuse14
11-16-2007, 14:00
I think it will be rated T (16+) the reason is this. When you zoom out from the action (which is most of the time) you won't see the people getting completely dismemberd from zoomed out. Also it's not like a First Person Shooter... Your not the one killing other enemy troops it's your troops killing other troops...

If they rate it above T then there basiclly saying that out there somewhere is going to raise a huge force of 18th century soldiers and going to try and take over Europe, North America, and India :laugh4:

But on a more serious note the only reason why some games are rated M (mostly FPS) is because of you doing the action not little men doing it for you... I can only see it being M if blood starts to flood the ships and battlefields, which I don't see happening... we can always hope though :2thumbsup: :surrender2:

TosaInu
11-16-2007, 15:02
The series started as a Teen game, MTW for example was rated 11+. People from 7-77 were enjoying it.

I hope ETW will get a 7+ rating and that it's good enough to be seriously and thoroughly enjoyed by 8, 16, 30, 50 and 80+.

Husar
11-16-2007, 16:27
The series started as a Teen game, MTW for example was rated 11+. People from 7-77 were enjoying it.

I hope ETW will get a 7+ rating and that it's good enough to be seriously and thoroughly enjoyed by 8, 16, 30, 50 and 80+.
:2thumbsup: :laugh4:

Also Frederick the Great, what you describe is most likely not special to the period of Empire.

Frederick the Great
11-16-2007, 19:23
Also Frederick the Great, what you describe is most likely not special to the period of Empire.
Well if MTW2 KINGDOMS is a 16+ age rating I can't see ETW being any less of a age rating.It all depends on CA and what age group their aiming this game at? for me the more realistic the game is the better.Some may agree with the picture I've painted of 18th century warfare and some may not.
We'll just have to wait and see.....

Captain Fishpants
11-20-2007, 10:58
Endless blood and guts don't add anything much except an icky factor that only the slightly warped will really enjoy. And rendering out pixellated guts uses graphics processor resources.

The violence inherent in a game is only part of the rating. There is also the bad (or otherwise) language to consider and the general content of the game. The PEGI system used in Europe manages to rate games by age, and draws attention to any special areas of concern such as profane language (the generals' speeches alone helped M2TW to a higher rating for that!), sexual content (if any) and the like. Check out their website (http://www.pegi.info/en/index/)for more information.

The US ESRB system (http://www.esrb.org/index-js.jsp)is slightly different, and can result in a different rating. Generally speaking, violence is of more concern in Europe, while "naughty" language and sex pushes up a US rating.

derfinsterling
11-20-2007, 11:03
Well RTW was a 12+ age rating and MTW2 KINGDOMS is a 16+ age rating.
I think ETW could and should be even more bloodier!!!

Because spilling blood and dismembering people is all that this game is about?

I'd rather have the developer who'd work on making all that blood and gore gush real nice and physically correct work on the numerous bugs that'll pop up during development.

If you want more violence, more blood, more gore to fill your heart with joy and thrills (and you probably should see somebody about that), then go play Manhunt 2. It's filled with gratuitous violence to an extent that gives new meaning to the word gratuitous.

Frederick the Great
11-20-2007, 13:52
Sorry,but I think you missed my meaning....In RTW the age rating is 12+ and although we don't see blood and gore in battle we still see the dead dropping to their knees and then to the ground and we also see bodies burning when hit by fire arrows and siege artillery.
In MTW2 the age rating is 16+ as we can zoom in on the combat and see blood stained armour and garments with battles being more graphic.
ETW is set during the 18th century when the populus and armies were much bigger than in medieval times.Technology and warfare had made advances though the years and with the use of the flintlock musket and bayonet and artillery in battle the casulties also grew.
If what is in the CA write-up on the TW web-site about Empire is true we may not only hear the sounds of battle,but also see and hear the sounds of the dying and wounded.I'm not asking for more blood,guts and gore just a realistic battle scene and the effects of a bayonet charge.Battles may become even more graphic than in the past.So I would say a 16+ again.

Freedom Onanist
11-20-2007, 17:50
Sorry,but I think you missed my meaning....In RTW the age rating is 12+ and although we don't see blood and gore in battle we still see the dead dropping to their knees and then to the ground and we also see bodies burning when hit by fire arrows and siege artillery.
In MTW2 the age rating is 16+ as we can zoom in on the combat and see blood stained armour and garments with battles being more graphic.
ETW is set during the 18th century when the populus and armies were much bigger than in medieval times.Technology and warfare had made advances though the years and with the use of the flintlock musket and bayonet and artillery in battle the casulties also grew.
If what is in the CA write-up on the TW web-site about Empire is true we may not only hear the sounds of battle,but also see and hear the sounds of the dying and wounded.I'm not asking for more blood,guts and gore just a realistic battle sceen and the effects of a bayonet charge.Battles may become even more graphic than in the past.So I would say a 16+ again.
Well when you consider that in M2TW a victory usually means one side wipping the other out (90%) and that the weapons used are mostly pointy or sharp ones I don't see how you are going to get more casualties in ETW. What differnece 90% casulatied in M2TW or ETW?

Not saying the casulaty ratio is accuratein M2TW just that's the way it is.

Killing has become faster thanks to technology, but it also offered the means of idsengaging and keeping the enemy at bay if needs be. Total massacres were rare.

Oh and could you stop posting in bold, it doesn't any credibility to your posts and it is tiring on the eye.

Frederick the Great
11-21-2007, 21:32
Well when you consider that in M2TW a victory usually means one side wipping the other out (90%) and that the weapons used are mostly pointy or sharp ones I don't see how you are going to get more casualties in ETW. What differnece 90% casulatied in M2TW or ETW?

Not saying the casulaty ratio is accuratein M2TW just that's the way it is.

Killing has become faster thanks to technology, but it also offered the means of idsengaging and keeping the enemy at bay if needs be. Total massacres were rare.

Oh and could you stop posting in bold, it doesn't any credibility to your posts and it is tiring on the eye.Sorry,but what are you talking about??? Where do you get the figure of 90% casulties from???
Battles are won and lost without having to inflict or suffer 90% casulties!!!
You mentioned sharp and pointy weapons in MTW2 and what exactly do you think a Pike or Bayonet is going to be in ETW??? and please,please,please before you say Pikes weren't in use during the 18th century I suggest you read the ETW write-up on the TW website because the Pike is going to be one of the hand to hand weapon's.Granted in small number's and only in the early part of the 1700's.
Oh and No I wont stop posting in Bold I'll use whatever font I like Thank you :laugh4:

Matt_Lane
11-22-2007, 18:25
Sorry,but what are you talking about??? Where do you get the figure of 90% casulties from???
Battles are won and lost without having to inflict or suffer 90% casulties!!!

My M2TW battles usually result in these kind of percentage of casualties. Although routing occurs a lot earlier the rest of them are usually mopped up by cavalry. As Freedom Onanist said this isn't historically accurate its just the way you play the game.

I don't think there was more gore on battlefields of this era compared to the medieval era, in fact the for the period leading up to the French Revolution casualty rates for the losers dropped to about 15%.

Personally I think the focus wants to be on the battles atmosphere rather than the gore. Currently the battle scenes always seem a bit too clean and clinical with only the weather affecting the scene. I'd like to see troops obscured by black powder smoke, and hear bagpipes, drums and the chanting troops in the back ground. Much more atmospheric than seeing limbs being loped off.

Viking
11-23-2007, 13:08
Can't really say I'm dying to see guts and cut off limbs on the battlefield, but maybe I don't know how much I'm missing it. ~D

TosaInu
11-25-2007, 15:38
Topic: Empire age rating.

Abokasee
11-25-2007, 20:44
Endless blood and guts don't add anything much except an icky factor that only the slightly warped will really enjoy. And rendering out pixellated guts uses graphics processor resources.

The violence inherent in a game is only part of the rating. There is also the bad (or otherwise) language to consider and the general content of the game. The PEGI system used in Europe manages to rate games by age, and draws attention to any special areas of concern such as profane language (the generals' speeches alone helped M2TW to a higher rating for that!), sexual content (if any) and the like. Check out their website (http://www.pegi.info/en/index/)for more information.

The US ESRB system (http://www.esrb.org/index-js.jsp)is slightly different, and can result in a different rating. Generally speaking, violence is of more concern in Europe, while "naughty" language and sex pushes up a US rating.

Bearing in mind we had some of the nastiest wars here... and the german game laws caused TS (Tiberian Sun) to have its corpses look like those silly little andriods