PDA

View Full Version : 17 Centruy IH

ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88
11-15-2007, 17:37
The year is 1660.
Charles II regained the English throne after the English Civil War and Oliver Cromwell’s Interregnum.
Since 1658, the Ottomans have been expanding their reign over Eastern Europe, particularly in pacifying Wallachia, Moldova and Transylvania. This greatly concerns the young Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I. Not only does he have to worry about the Turkish threat, France also poses a threat on the Empire’s western border. There is some concern about Louis XIV’s potentially growing influence in the German states.
The Austrians are currently allied with the Poles, however this alliance only deals with their mutual problems with the Swedes. The Deluge is still going on between Poland, Russia, The Cossacks (located in The Ukraine), Sweden, Brandenburg and the Crimean Tartars. Even thought the Russians were still at war with Sweden, the Russian were also enemies of Poland.

Tasks for this turn:
1. first choose a faction to play as (examples: Denmark, England, France, HRE, Netherlands, Ottoman empire, Papacy, Poland, Prussia, Russia, Spain, Sweden). After choosing faction, make a post in this thread to reserve that faction. The first who posts that he wants a certain faction gets that faction.

2. make some research about your faction. This information will be available to all players, and is later to be used to plan your strategies. The knowledge about what happened after 1660 is supposed to be used to better understand the present situation in 1660, not to be abused as hindsight - I'll deliberately lay out the story in a way that prevents hindsight that couldn't have been known at the time from having any effect (after the first chapters it'll become clear what I mean by this). Things to research:
a. name of your leader, and of the living heirs of your leader
b. your current alliances in 1660. Look at which alliances were broken in the coming 50 years and why, to try and find information about the nature and strength of the alliances at this time
c. current pacts/leagues (with pact I mean a bunch of nations all in alliance with each others, the pacts must also be public whereas alliances can be of a more secret character)
d. current wars that your nation is engaged in
e. regions that historically rebelled against your nation during the period 1660 to around 1700, and why. Did any of the rebellions happen at critical times during wars with outside nations, or did the rebellions for other reasons have greater effect than their military strength alone would imply?
f. a list of the major military campaigns, crucial economical conflicts and other major events during the period 1660to around 1700for your nation
g. in 1660, how is your army organized? how many men are available through conscription? how many men constitute a standing army? what equipment and training have they got? how is the quality of the artillery? and how did these things change in the coming 50 years?
h. how well is your nation doing economically? are you in debt or is the economy flourishing? which are the key strategic locations that gives you income? tax, trade routes/tolls, farming or industries?
i. which countries are your major trading partners at this time and what products do they buy/sell from/to you?
j. how centralized is rule? what is your role as leader? military defender of your people? reformer? if your rule isn't centralized, is local unhappiness most directed towards you or the local rulers?
k. what is your leader's religion? what is the stance of different religions in your nation - acceptance, tolerance, non-tolerance or persecution?
l. what's the social situation for farmers, workers etc.? are they in a position to rebel over their social situations?
m. are there any provinces of your nation that are eager to break off and form an own country? i.e. Portugal for Spain etc.

Brandenburg - Ichigo
Denmark - Played by Me
England - Ignoramus
France - Warluster
HRE and Austria - Played By Me
Netherlands - Draconian
Ottoman Empire - Played By Me
Poland- King Jan III Sobieski
Russia-Northnovas

Papacy - kamikhaan
Spain - Garcilaso de la Vega el Inca Sweden - Julian the apostate
Swiss Conferdation-Bopa The Magyar
Transylvania - Waldinger Venice – Played By Me

RULES/INFO ABOUT HOW THE INTERACTIVE WORKS

- Your objectives: the objective is to achieve as much as possible in all these fields: conquest of provinces, conquest of strategic positions, strengthening the economy and controlling trade, having an appearance of strength and determination to outside threats by successfully defending and counter-attacking aggressors, have a good diplomatic rumor, and help spread whatever religion you choose. All these factors will be added together and the factions which achieved most in all these aspects will be winners by the end of the game.

- First turn - in the prologue turn you'll not make any decisions but only do research about your faction.

- How to play - every turn, I'll list questions about the most relevant matters for the player to decide about. However, each turn it's also possible to decide about things that aren't listed under that turn. Examples of things that you can decide are listed here for reference during the game:
* thing made publicly in this thread:
a. declaring war
b. hiring mercenaries
c. propaganda - if your nation wants to use propaganda actions it's posted as a public proclamation in the public thread. This can also be a general call for, say "the Catholic cause" etc. but also actions for your own population. Normal actions that aren't explicit propaganda can also have propaganda effects.
d. choosing stance on religion, and the leader's religion - this will affect relations with the pope, relations with other countries, relations with local rulers etc.
* things made by sending a PM to me that turn (sometimes this information risks to leak out to the public forum):
e. reorganizing your army - this is made by PM, but info will leak out
f. diplomatic discussions - it'll always leak out that a meeting has taken place, but very seldom what was said during the meeting, unless the two parts wish to make an official proclamation as result of the meeting. Because some of the diplomatic correspondence can leak out, try to make the PMs with historical phrasing, and it's also a good reason to, even if you're planning on backstabbing, not expressing such things too explicitly in the PMs... The diplomatic discussion in a turn may only be carried out as a series of max 3 PMs, i.e. 1. offer, 2. counter-offer/accept/decline, 3. accept/decline/counter-offer to consider for next turn/suggest discussions continue next turn. The reason for this rule is to make the discussion fast enough to not delay chapters, but also to simulate some of the difficulties of diplomatic discussion and not make the diplomacy an overly effective tool. The PMs from the correspondence should be sent to me by PM each turn so I know which deals took place so I can determine the outcome of the turn.
g. choosing where to launch offensives and which tactics and key targets to use - you're allowed make very complex strategies with conditional plans and diversions etc. Just remember it must be logistically feasible within the length of the chapter. Also remember that pushing soldiers too hard can result in undisciplined behavior, mutiny and desertion etc.
h. starting war without formal declaration
i. determining what to do about rebels - you decide which and how many troops, what tactics they are to use etc. I'll ask more specific questions and give the suitable player options for how to act when a rebellion takes place
j. choosing whether to use your own leader in combat - using the leader in combat can boost morale, but also keeps him away from home which may be tempting to some rebels, and it also puts him at the risk of dying in action. If the leader has gone to the front, the other nations will know it before long through hints in the public thread (this thread).
* other decisions:
k. you can decide about almost anything you can think of that isn't very historically unlikely, say send away mercenaries without pay, choose whether to kill prisoners of war or not, etc. etc. Those decisions can be sent to me by PM. Bear in mind that every character affected by your decisions has some form of power which he can use against you.

L. You will have X amount of money at your disposel to build building,get new troops/mercenies and such. But Use it wisely.I will calculate how how much each country gets based on it sizes.

I will deidce on how much money each country gets each year. It will be in your decsions I will PM to you (or post here, whatever I feel like doing)

You May only Retruct Mercs One (1) time every 3 turns, maxmium of 2,500 every 3 turns. You May Retrucit Reuglar troops 2 turns straight, maxmium of 8,000 each turn (inftray,cavalary, up to you), then after that, you can only retrucit Regular soliders Every 3 Turns also, maxmium of what I will decide. You may Draft People, but remember, if you draft to many, to often, your people might Rebel.

You May Be:

Churchs/Temples/Mosques=-Keep People Happy. Raises Morlae. Cost 1000 to build.
Upgrade Town Foricotians- helps keep towns safe, cost 5,000-15,000 to upgrade, depending on how much you upgrade.
Cannon/Gun Mills- You are able to make cannons and Muskets here. Cost 10,000 to build.

Ships (can carry 150 men each): 100 each, upkeep is 200.

- NOTE! My PM box is of limited size so please try to stuff all the decisions that need to be sent to me by PM into a single PM if possible.

http://www.euratlas.com/big/big1600.htm

Map of 1600

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~atpc/maps/europe-1660.html

Map of 1660

The Game starts in 1660 and ends in 1700. :-)

With Rodion permssion, I am using his rules and such, since I think they are better then what I first came up with. Thank you Rodion!:egypt:

King Jan III Sobieski
11-15-2007, 17:40
I shall claim Poland for myself, if possible, and take on the persona of Jan II Casmir, King of Poland, ArchDuke of Lithuania and Lord of the Eastern Realms... if that's OK!!!

:laugh4:

MaddenKhan2
11-15-2007, 17:52
Hmmm... I was going to pick Russia or France, but since I'm a power-hungry person so to speak, I like to pick Austria/HRE since they look big,please :yes:

Julian the apostate
11-15-2007, 18:05
I'll take sweeden,
one question though? Is poland going to be in any way weaken by the commonwealth's requirement that any action be unanimous?

cegorach
11-15-2007, 20:02
It is a coomon myth, but far from reality - anyone could disagree, but that didn't matter as long as the veto wasn't supported by some really powerful faction.:book:

I am not going to play - I have just asked the direct question - besides I already answered some questions about Poland and the entire region coming from the person who started this thread.

That will be all, cheers !

11-15-2007, 20:57
It is a coomon myth, but far from reality - anyone could disagree, but that didn't matter as long as the veto wasn't supported by some really powerful faction.:book:

I am not going to play - I have just asked the direct question - besides I already answered some questions about Poland and the entire region coming from the person who started this thread.

That will be all, cheers !

Thank you for the information Cegorach. Will make Chapter 1 and future ones go much easier :yes:

Will Update faction list now. :yes:

seireikhaan
11-15-2007, 22:13
Hmm... I think I'll try my hand at the Papacy.

Csargo
11-15-2007, 22:36
Brandenburg

woad&fangs
11-15-2007, 22:39
If Ichi is going to be mini-Germany than I'm going to be mini-Italy.

Venice for me please

Csargo
11-15-2007, 23:07
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~atpc/maps/europe-1660.html

Vladimir
11-15-2007, 23:43
Interesting. Let's see if the HRE and Russia have another internal meltdown. How can a player be the Papacy?

11-16-2007, 01:21
Interesting. Let's see if the HRE and Russia have another internal meltdown. How can a player be the Papacy?

I'll update the rules, since I have some new ideas to add in. Papacy I will explain tomarrow (Friday), I need a nap. (you taking Russia Vladimir?)

FYI, Good Map Ichi!

Csargo
11-16-2007, 02:31
The Papacy has land across the middle of Italy.

Ayachuco
11-16-2007, 05:10
Yeah, the perfect chance to piss off the English, French, and Spaniards/Austrians in one sitting.
Put me down as the Dutch.

Oh, and what about the Comtat Venaissin? The Pope also had a patch of land in Avignon and its surrounding areas.

11-16-2007, 14:37
The Pope does have land,(like Ichi and Drac so kindly explained for me :-) )

He would be able to raise a army of course, because the Papal Guard he already has.

11-16-2007, 19:13
Still some of the big nations left everyone :beam:

Ignoramus
11-17-2007, 08:13
I'll take England.

Warluster
11-17-2007, 09:02
Seeing as England is claimed, I will take France please.

Warluster
11-17-2007, 09:19
Here is come Research I have collected for France.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6b/FranceRoyale.jpg/414px-FranceRoyale.jpg
House of Bourbon.

Titles claimed by King: Duke of Bourbon, King of France, King of Navarre, Duke of Parma, Duke of Seville, Grand DUke of Luxembourg, King of the Two Sicilies, King of Spain (??? I don't really get that part though, same as King of Two Sicilies)

By the looks of it Spain was a puppet state of France, seeing as the Duke of Anjou, was adopted by the King of Spain, and the Spanish King died so that means the HOuse of Bourbon claims both Spain and France.

France is led by Louis XIV, married to Maria Theresa.

Peace was fragile, and war broke out again between France and the Dutch Republic in the Franco-Dutch War (1672-1678). Louis XIV asked for the Dutch Republic to resume war against the Spanish Netherlands, but the republic refused. France attacked the Dutch Republic and was joined by England in this conflict. Through targeted inundations of polders by breaking dykes, the French invasion of the Dutch Republic was brought to a halt. The Dutch Admiral Michiel de Ruyter inflicted a few strategic defeats on the Anglo-French naval alliance and forced England to retire from the war in 1674. Because the Netherlands could not resist eternally, it agreed to peace in the Treaties of Nijmegen, according to which France would annex France-Comté and acquired further concessions in the Spanish Netherlands. On 6 May 1682, the royal court moved to the Palace of Versailles, which Louis XIV had greatly expanded. Peace, once again, did not last, and war between France and Spain resumed once again. The War of the Reunions broke out (1683-1684), and once again Spain, with its ally the Holy Roman Empire, was easily defeated. Meanwhile, in October 1685 Louis signed the Edict of Fontainebleau ordering the destruction of all Protestant churches and schools in France. Its immediate consequence was a large Protestant exodus from France.

France is at Peace with all, Alliance with Spain, In Personal union with the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. Is next in line to the Throne of Spain. there have been rebellions no where and the populace is happy with Louis XIV.

France has a very good Infantry and Cav system, some of the best in Europe. Though I know at this time KingWarman, that there was NO Artillery Units in exsistence, these only being established in war then dissolved afterwards.

France trades (MAJOR) with Holland, Spain, England, Austria, Denmark.

Louis has styled himself the Sun King, and is a Ambitious ruler, amd the longest serving, the poulace like him. France is on equal par econimc wise, still recovering from the Thirty Year War.

France would soon be involved into another war, the War of the Grand Alliance. This time the theatre was not only in Europe but also in North America. Although the war was long and difficult (it was also called the Nine Years War), its results were inconclusive. The Treaty of Ryswick in 1697 confirmed French sovereignty over Alsace, yet rejected its claims to Luxembourg. Louis also had to evacuate Catalonia and the Palatinate. This peace was considered a truce by all sides, thus war was to start again. In 1701 the War of the Spanish Succession began. The Bourbon Philip of Anjou was designated heir to the throne of Spain. The Habsburg Emperor Leopold opposed a Bourbon succession, because of the power that such a succession would bring to the Bourbon rulers of France, and claimed the Spanish thrones for himself. England and the Dutch Republic joined Leopold against Louis XIV and Philip of Anjou. The allied forces were led by John Churchill and by Prince Eugene of Savoy. They inflicted a few resounding defeats to the French army; the Battle of Blenheim in 1704 was the first major land battle lost by France since its victory at Rocroi in 1643. Yet, after the extremely bloody battles of Ramillies and Malplaquet, Pyrrhic victories for the allies, they had lost too many men to continue the war. Led by Villars, the French forces recovered much of the lost ground in battles such as Denain. Finally, a compromise was achieved with the Ultrecht in 1713. Philip of Anjou was confirmed as Philip V, king of Spain, and Emperor Leopold did not get the throne, but Philip V was barred from inheriting France

Update when I get more.

11-18-2007, 19:53
Good Information Warluster :yes:

Wednesday is when I might close off resigiation for the factions, because I like to get started on Writing Chapter 1 (over Thanksgiving break :beam: )

I been thinking about how much retruciting Normal Troops and Mercs will cost, I will post it later when I make the final decsion on the cost and such.

MaddenKhan2
11-18-2007, 22:03
Still Looking for my stuff, don't worry :yes:

Marshal Murat
11-19-2007, 02:11
By the looks of it Spain was a puppet state of France, seeing as the Duke of Anjou, was adopted by the King of Spain, and the Spanish King died so that means the HOuse of Bourbon claims both Spain and France.

After Louis XIV's father-in-law and uncle, Philip IV of Spain, died in 1665, Philip IV's son (by his second wife) became Charles II of Spain.

Your five years off as I understand it.

MaddenKhan2
11-19-2007, 04:12
I found Leopold I is the Leader of Austria/HRE. I also found out our coffins been having touble keeping money in it. I also read in a link someone gave Warman8 in his Austrian thread (I like reading history stuff you see) and it said Leopold Raised a 100,000 man force, but doesn't say when. I also read that after the Thiry year War, Austria had a 24,500 man force, but I swore it was bigger in 1660.

Csargo
11-19-2007, 04:14
Austria had a standing army of 24500 I believe, without of course militia.

11-19-2007, 04:16
Austria had a standing army of 24500 I believe, without of course militia.

Argeed Ichi. I read on the SPanish war Site I found (check Spanish IH thread for it), that it said the same thing (you check same site Madden?).

King Jan III Sobieski
11-19-2007, 04:23
Someone has to take the Ottoman and Russian Empires...we can't let Warman88 take them by default. :laugh4: :yes: :laugh4:

Northnovas
11-19-2007, 20:55
Okay, I have been lurking through this thread and reading the other IH for awhile and this looks interesting to be involved in, so I will sign up for Russia and of the dual Tsars I will take Peter the Great.
I got a lot of the political stuff reading Peter's bio is there any other sources recommended for the military history of country?

11-19-2007, 21:06
http://www.history.wisc.edu/sommerville/351/351-15.htm

just keep clicking the arrow thing at the bottom and after a few slides, it takes you to a Peter the Great page, and some nice info at the time.

Thanks for taking Russia :yes:

Will be fun, but kinda hard I think.

seireikhaan
11-19-2007, 21:30
Hmm, just noticed something in the rules. It stated that different kingdoms get different amounts they can spend depending on the size of their territory. Considering its rather unique disposition, does the Papacy get more than would other, similary-sized territories?

11-19-2007, 22:19
Hmm, just noticed something in the rules. It stated that different kingdoms get different amounts they can spend depending on the size of their territory. Considering its rather unique disposition, does the Papacy get more than would other, similary-sized territories?

I would say yes, and if you influence you people alot to, you could get more money also.

But let me finaizlie it, of course :beam:. Rules been updated now also :yes:

cegorach
11-19-2007, 22:29
Okay, I have been lurking through this thread and reading the other IH for awhile and this looks interesting to be involved in, so I will sign up for Russia and of the dual Tsars I will take Peter the Great.
I got a lot of the political stuff reading Peter's bio is there any other sources recommended for the military history of country?

I remind that it starts decades before Peter took power.

Most likely - here is the ONLY place you can find anything detailed about Russian military of that period in English...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53648

There are some minor mistakes - for example the author mentions some battle with the Poles which probably never happened, but still it is the best source possible...

In addition I suggest this thread if you need some pictures to figure what is what

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=72384

As a short side note I am quite certain that the Russian army in 1654-1660 was generally of better quality and experience than the force that Peter gathered in 1700 - only later the new army of Peter the Great became really superior. And, yes I am quite serious.

That ends my intrusion.:egypt:

11-19-2007, 23:01
Cegorach never fails to impress me with his knowledge of history :yes:

http://www.le.ac.uk/hi/bon/ESFDB/Armies/armies.html

knock yourselves out :beam: . got some information there.

Northnovas
11-20-2007, 04:48
Yes you are correct and thanks for the info. I realized after I posted that Peter would be the at the end of this era. I will just have to do some more reading.
cegorach thanks for the links very nice work!

King Jan III Sobieski
11-20-2007, 17:00
Information on the Great State of Poland-Lithuania
- Jan II Kasmier

The Nihil novi act adopted by the Polish Diet in 1505 transferred all legislative power from the king to the Diet. This event marked the beginning of the period known as "Nobles' Democracy" or "Nobles' Commonwealth" (Rzeczpospolita szlachecka) when the state was ruled by the "free and equal" Polish nobility (szlachta). The Lublin Union of 1569 constituted the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth as an influential player in European politics and a vital cultural entity.

The death of Sigismund II Augustus in 1572 was followed by a three-year interregnum period during which adjustments were made to the constitutional system. The lower nobility was now included in the selection process, and the power of the monarch was further circumscribed in favor of the expanded noble class. Each king had to sign the so called Henrician Articles, which were the basis of the political system of Poland, and pacta conventa which were various personal obligations of the chosen king. From that point, the king was effectively a partner with the noble class and constantly supervised by a group of senators. Once the Jagiellons disappeared from the scene, the fragile equilibrium of the Commonwealth government began to go awry. The constitutional reforms made the monarchy electoral in fact as well as name. As more and more power went to the noble electors, it also eroded from the government's center.

"The Republic at Zenith of Power. Golden Liberty. Kings election in 1573." By Jan MatejkoIn its periodic opportunities to fill the throne, the szlachta exhibited a preference for foreign candidates who would not found another strong dynasty. This policy produced monarchs who were either totally ineffective or in constant debilitating conflict with the nobility. Furthermore, aside from notable exceptions such as the able Transylvanian Stefan Batory (1576-1586), the kings of alien origin were inclined to subordinate the interests of the Commonwealth to those of their own country and ruling house.

Commonwealth-Ottomans relations were never too warm, as the Commonwealth viewed itself as the 'bulwark of the Christendom' and together with Habsburgs and Republic of Venice was the thorn in the Ottoman plans of European conquest. Since the second half of the 16th century, Polish-Ottomans relations, never too friendly, were further worsened by the escalation of Cossacks-Tatars border warfare, which turned the entire border region between the Commonwealth and Ottoman Empire into a semi-permanent warzone.

In the 1595, magnates of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth intervened in the affairs of Moldavia. This would start a series of conflicts that would soon spread to Transylvania, Wallachia and Hungary, when the Commonwealth forces clashed with the forces backed by Ottoman Empire and occasionally Habsburgs, all competing for the domination over that region.

With the Commonwealth engaged on its northern and eastern borders with near constant conflicts against Sweden and Muscovy, its armies were spread thin. Finally, the southern wars culminated in the Polish defeat at the battle of Cecora in 1620. Eventually the Commonwealth was forced to renounce all claims to Moldavia, Transylvania, Wallachia and Hungary.

Władysław IV Vasa (1632-1648) (my predecessor) :skull:
Wladislaw tried to achieve many military goals, including conquest of Russia, Sweden and Turkey. His reign is that of many small victories, few of them bringing anything worthwhile to the Commonwealth. For a time, he was elected a tsar, but never had any control over Russian territories. In the end, like his father, he failed to strengthen the Commonwealth or prevent the crippling events of The Deluge or Chmielnicki Rebellion, that devastated the Commonwealth in 1648.

:egypt: :yes: :egypt:

woad&fangs
11-20-2007, 18:51
I changed my mind. I want to be Transylvania.

11-20-2007, 21:07
I changed my mind. I want to be Transylvania.

You wish is my Command :yes:

If you have most or almost most of you information posted, you can start PMing each other or talking here in character, but remember, if you send PM's, make sure you tell me about them, since I don't know who will send out what of course until you tell me them in your decsions. Rememrber, if you making a offer, 3 PM's max. 1 for the Offer, 2nd for accpect/decline/counter offer and 3rd PM for accpect/decline/ counter offer for NExt Turn. Chapter 1 isn't going to be up untill all the information will be in, but if you just want to start talking to pass the time and get some stuff ready for your decisons for CHapter 1, go ahead :yes:

Incongruous
11-20-2007, 23:49
Ok I would like to take the Swisslanders please.

11-21-2007, 00:18
Ok I would like to take the Swisslanders please.

Excellet Choice My Friend! Take good care of my Swiss :beam: :yes: !!

11-21-2007, 20:49
Keep posting your country information everyone! Got 3 already, but need everyone elses. :yes:

Csargo
11-21-2007, 21:43
Brandenburg-Prussia
https://img66.imageshack.us/img66/8120/prussflag3nz8.gif

Leader:
https://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1949/friedrichwilhelmiofbranfg5.jpg
Frederick William aka The Great Elector
Successor:Frederick III-First King of Prussia Frederick I

Alliances:During this time alliances were made and broken easily.

Pacts: No idea

War: Sweden afaik

Rebellions: None that I know of

Military campaigns: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Warsaw_%281656%29

Army Org: The military of Prussia was a disciplined one with a strength of around 25000 in 1660. The Brandenburg army was close to the cutting edge of the European military innovation.

Economy: No idea

Trading:No idea

Rule:Frederick William was a major military leader and a rebuilder after the Thirty years war.

Religions: Protestant;acceptance

Social situations: No, they are generally happy with their lives
other then maybe Prussia.

M: None that I know of.

11-21-2007, 23:11
Brandenburg-Prussia
https://img66.imageshack.us/img66/8120/prussflag3nz8.gif

Leader:
https://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1949/friedrichwilhelmiofbranfg5.jpg
Frederick William aka The Great Elector
Successor:Frederick III-First King of Prussia Frederick I

Alliances:During this time alliances were made and broken easily.

Pacts: No idea

War: Sweden afaik

Rebellions: None that I know of

Military campaigns: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Warsaw_%281656%29

Army Org: The military of Prussia was a disciplined one with a strength of around 25000 in 1660. The Brandenburg army was close to the cutting edge of the European military innovation.

Economy: No idea

Trading:No idea

Rule:Frederick William was a major military leader and a rebuilder after the Thirty years war.

Religions: Protestant;acceptance

Social situations: No, they are generally happy with their lives
other then maybe Prussia.

M: None that I know of.

Good way you set up your Info Ichi :beam:

Marshal Murat
11-21-2007, 23:52
I think that East Prussia is contended between Prussia and Poland. Ceg?

woad&fangs
11-21-2007, 23:53
Leader: Gyorgy Rakosci II

Alliances: Allied with Sweden and Brandenburg during the Great Northern War but mostly because they were also invading Poland. The Hapsburgs(Austria) assist in fighting against the Turks but they can not be considered allies. They are trying to increase their influence in Transylvania and eventually integrate them into their empire. The Papacy has historically recognized Transylvania’s importance in stopping Ottoman expansion.

Pacts: None that I am aware of

War: The Ottomans, and I Want claim the crown of Poland if I can get the chance

Rebellions: I am the rebellion :)

Military campaigns: Fighting the Turks on my own land. The city of Varad is besieged.

Army Org: During the Great Northern War, Gyorgy Racoski II led an army of 40,000 against Poland. Army was influenced by the the Cossaks and the Hapsburg armies.

Economy: Feudal system. During this time the serfs are increasingly freed and titles of nobility granted to provide soldiers against the Turks. However, they still had to pay taxes and were Nobles only in name.

]Trading:[ I am landlocked and at war with the Ottomans and I do not have good relations with the Poles so I probably just trade with the Hapsburgs.

]Rule]: Ruled by a prince. Has a diet that can dispose the prince as did happen to Gyorgy Rakosci II in 1658 after his unlawful and failed invasion of Poland. Constant political meddling by both the Hapsburgs and the Ottomans.

Religions: Due to the fact that Transylvania was now beyond the reach of Catholic religious authority, Protestant preaching such as Lutheranism and Calvinism were able to flourish. In 1568 the Edict of Turda proclaimed four religious expressions -Catholic, Lutheranism, Calvinism and Unitarianism - as "accepted" (receptae), while Orthodoxy, which was the confession of the Romanian population, was proclaimed as "tolerated" (tolerata). The Edict of Turda is considered by mostly Hungarian historians as the first legal guarantee of religious freedom in Christian Europe.

Social situations: The peasants despise the Ottomans more than me. Moldavia and Walachia can be united against the Ottomans but they want their independence as much as I do.

Csargo
11-22-2007, 00:15

The Duchy, which had its capital in Königsberg, was inherited by the Hohenzollern prince-electors of Brandenburg in 1618

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Prussia

Marshal Murat
11-22-2007, 00:59
I am corrected.
Treaty of Oliva (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Oliva)

seireikhaan
11-22-2007, 01:02
The Papacy:

Current Pope: Alexander VII, has reigned since 1644.

Alliances: None.

Pacts: None.

Rebellions: Recently annihihalated the Duchy of Castro in 1649.

Military campaigns: None, atm.

Army Organization: Other than the swiss guard, I'm currently having trouble finding info. Oh, it did say in one article that the Pope sent "large quantities of arms military supplies including twenty thousand pounds of gunpowder" to the Irish during the English Civil War.

Economy: Recent efforts in the previous years have been made to recapture the glory of Rome, and much effort has been put into rebuilding it into a grander capital, though the population is still only a bit over 100,000.

Trading: Not much info, although it can be considered doubtful that I trade with England, on account of them being protestant, and the fact that the Papacy supported the Irish factions during the recent English civil war.

Rule: Led by the Pope, who is elected by the Cardinals every time the previous Pope dies. Cardinals and bishops are frequently used as emissaries. Not really sure exactly how it was run below the Pope.

Religions: Honestly, must I even say? I am El Papa!:sweatdrop:

Social situations: Constantly changing political changes due to nations varying from Catholicism to Protestantism and vice versa. Pope is VERY unsupportive of Protestants, generally, and VERy supportive of Catholics.

Northnovas
11-22-2007, 04:54
Tsardom of Muscovy

https://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa55/northnovas/russia/coatarms.jpg

Leader: Alexis I (the Quietest One)

https://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa55/northnovas/russia/alexis.jpg

Alliances: None

Pacts: None

War: Hostilities with Sweden, Poland, Ottomans

Army Org: The military was under a transformation starting 20 years earlier. Conscription was in place by this time the army general composition:
- Regular
- Enlisted
- Conscripted
- Settled
There were approx 250,000 men in military service
An example of a Russian field army,
In the 1663 the Russian field army against Poland consisted of:
- 42 Infantry regiments - 24,377 men
- 8 Dragoon regiments - 9,334
- 22 Reiter regiments - 18,795
- 2 Lancer regiments - 1,185
- 1 Hussars - 757

Lancers appeared in the 1660 replacing Reiters. The regiment consited of 5 companies each of about 100 men. One company in each Lancer Regiment was Reiter.

There were approx 5000 guns by the 1660's.

Economy: Agricultural base centralized and at times ineffecient. The government monopolized the tobacco crop. Arkhangelsk is a port used to trade forest products with the Dutch and English and thrived in manufacturing in naval stores and potash.
Strategic manufacturing was in metallurgy.
Leaders in pig iron, potash by the start of the 1700's.The state revenues profited from the expansion eastward beyond the Urals and southward into the black-soil region.

Trading: By sea England and the Netherlands. Land with Eurpoean nations.

Rule: Alexis I who came to the throne as a young boy 1645 suceeding his father Mikhail I.

Religion: Orthodox

Social Situation: Were beginning a state of transformation and influenced by westernization but a very slow process involving small groups. Serfdom was a way of life. It was also Alexis that began the practice of sending common criminals and politcal offenders to Siberia.

M: Not sure what this field represents.

Northnovas
11-22-2007, 05:00
I had to add a comment this was a bit of homework and I am not use to that!!! The coat of arms is later but I liked it and the military stuff is tricky to peg down. I thought I hit a gold mind of information when I realized I had found the source of cegorach information from the TW Centre post. As I was reading the article it was becoming familiar. I am not sure what the M represents I was just following the template.

MaddenKhan2
11-22-2007, 05:05
Austria/HRE (Habsburgs)

Current Emperor: Leopold I (1657(?)-1705)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/Kaiser-Leopold1.jpg/437px-Kaiser-

Alliances: Allied with England,Dutch Netherlands and some German states in Spanish Sucession against Bavaria,France and Spain.

Pacts: None at the moment.

Rebellions: Hungary rebellions in the next few years.

Military campaigns: None ATM

Wars: 1662, took on the Ottomans, but none in 1660 as of yet....

Army Org: 24,500 standing army, without the mitlita. Can raise more, escally can get more from German States, but have a tough time paying them and supplying them.

Economy: Trying to get up on Back Taxs, pay off loans, and pay troops. Been making some medium sucesses, but got a way to go still.

Trading: Not much information here, but presume trading with Poland,Germany States,Veince,France.

Rule: Leopold I, elected by German Electors for the HRE Emperor. He is a popular ruler as of now, making his way to towns and greeting people in towns his precessors never bothered to go to.

Religions: Devout Catholic Leopold I. Austria is Devout Catholics, German States are divided up by Catholic/Cavlinism and Lutherlism. Hungary has alot of Protestnats to.

Social situations: Constantly changing political changes due to nations going to war around them and such.

11-22-2007, 05:08
Doing Good All!!! :yes: :2thumbsup:

I want to have Spain and the Ottomans Taken by tomarrow night (Thursday), or at least have the Ottomans taken, and all information in by Saturday, and I'll get Chapter 1 up Tuesday then (going hunting, and got to rest my wrists due to CTS over the next few days, then Tuesday I'll spend a few hours and get Chapter 1 up) :yes:

cegorach
11-22-2007, 09:15

Ichigo and {BHC}KingWarman888 - you should read it too.:book:

The situation was far more complicated.

According to Welawa-Bydgoszcz treaty (1657) Hohenzollerns did get the full rights in Eastrn Prussia, however if the dynasty was ever cease to 'produce' a male heir the entire territory would be inherited by the Commonwealth - for that reason the citizens of Eastern Prussia had to swear alliagiance to a Polish king every time there was a change on the throne of Brandenburg.

In addition Brandenburg got Lebork and Bytów duches as vassal territories and Elbig to own which could be payed back for a price of 400 000 talars.

In addition Poland was supposed to pay 150 000 talars for 1 500 soldiers which Brandenburg was supposed to deliver - if that amount was not payed in time of three years Brandenburg had the right to take Drahim and neighbouring territories.

In real life Brandenburg took Drahim in 1668 (unlawfully) which coused a lot of tension between both states and could end in an open war (at least Jan III Sobieski was going to start one) if the Ottomans didn't keep Poland occupied.

Now the Kalkstein incident.

After in 1660 Hohenzollerns took the full power over Eastern Prussia local population tried to defend their rights given by the Commonwealth decades earlier.

In 1661 during illegal gatherings ( Grand Parliament) the local nobility protested against new taxes and defended their rights.

On 4th July 1662 three districts of Konigsberg formed an alliance created after anti-Teutonic (and pro-Polish) organisations from the XVth century like the Lizard League.

On 25th October The Grand Elector managed to get rid of them and imprison their leaders.
Grand Parliament was dispearsed in May 1663 and the states of Prussia sworn alliagiance to Brandenburg in October.

The resistence continued under the leadership of Albrecht Kalkstein and after his death by his son Krystian Ludwik (I am using Polish spelling) an officer serving previously in Polish, Lithuanian and Brandenburg armies - in 1667 he was sentenced to life imprisonment, but managed to escape in 1670 when his sentence was changed for 100 000 talar fine.
He moved to Poland where he found supporters - especially among protestant nobility. He was trying to make Poland renounce the treaties with Brandenburg and re-gain control over Prussia. He managed to deliver his message during the Sejm (Parliament) meeting in 1670 criticising unlawful taxation, religious intolerance and violation of laws and rights done by the Grand Elector.
In turn it instilled new waves of resistence in Prussia.

Brandenburg demanded from Poland to return Kalkstein, but after it refused for the third time ( Polish law protected refugees, especially political) Brandt - the Brandenburgian envoy in Warsaw lured the man into a trap and kidnapped him to Bandenburg (on 9th December 1670) where he was imprisoned and after a special trial in January 1672 executed in November 1672.

The kidnapping caused huge uproar in Poland and Lithuania as well as in Eastern Prussia. Lithuanian army started preparing to enter Eastern Prussia and end the reign of the Hohenzollerns there, but at the same time a huge Ottoman army invaded Poland...

Kalkstein affair was later exploited by Jan III Sobieski to create support for his plans to attack Brandenburg and annex Eastern Prussia entirely using the secret alliance with France he planned to announce (against Habsburgs too - to return Silesia), but Ottoman ( i.e. French ally) resistence against any peace treaty acceptable to Poland and Swedish (another Sobieski's ally) inability to win anything made it all impossible.

OK, I hope it explains a bit.

Ayachuco
11-23-2007, 04:21
The United Provinces
https://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd125/drao0nian/dutch.gif

Leaders
Since the leader is elected to the postion of Pensionary for life, I will put down the people who historically were elected after John de Witt's death as his heirs.
Grand Pensionary-Johan de Witt (1625-1672); term of office:(1653-1672)

Biography and Motives/Strategy

Johan de Witt brought about peace with England after the First Anglo-Dutch War with the Treaty of Westminster in the year 1654. The peace treaty had a secret annex, the Act of Seclusion, forbidding the Dutch ever to appoint William II's infant son as new stadtholder. De Witt did his utmost to prevent any member of the House of Orange from gaining any power, convincing many provinces to abolish the stadtholderate entirely. Influenced by the values of the Roman republic, he bolstered his policy by publicly endorsing the theory of republicanism. De Witt's power base was the wealthy merchant class. The people supporting him were called the "States faction", opposed by the "Orange faction" that was popular among the artisan class. This antagonism paralleled a division between moderate and intolerant Calvinists. His pro-French policy however would prove to be his undoing. In the Dutch rampjaar (disaster year) of 1672, when France and England during the Franco-Dutch War (Third Anglo-Dutch War) attacked the Republic, the Orangists took power by force and expelled him. Recovering from an earlier attempt on his life in June, he was assassinated by a carefully organized lynch "mob" after visiting his brother Cornelis de Witt in prison.

Future office holders:
Caspar Fagel (1672-1688)
Michiel ten Hove (1688-1689)
Antonie Heinsius (1689-1720)

Military and Military Strategy

At first the Dutch had a very strong standing field army and large garrisons in their numerous fortified cities. From 1648 on however the Army was neglected; and for a few years even the Navy — until rivalry with England forced a large extension of naval forces. The army numbers would fluctuate from 20,000-60,000 men although during the wars with Spain; the Netherlands were able to maintain a 100,000 strong army. The civic militias were recruited from the modestly wealthy and they could be of political importance for example, when in 1672 they sided with the populace and were against the elites who wanted to give up to the Sun King's France. The rest were English (43), French (32), Scottish (20), Walloon (11), and German (9) companies fighting for the Dutch because they had the money to pay them.

After having gained its independence in 1648, the Netherlands tried in various coalitions to help to contain France, which had replaced Spain as the strongest nation of Europe. The end of the Spanish War of Succession (1713) marked the end of the Dutch Republic as a major player. In the 18th century, it just tried to maintain its independence and stuck to a policy of neutrality.
The Dutch-Swedish War, 1657-1660, was a Dutch intervention in the Northern Wars. When Charles X of Sweden had been unable to continue his hold on Poland — partly because the Dutch fleet relieved the besieged city of Danzig in 1656 — he turned his attention on Denmark. In 1658 the Dutch sent an expedition fleet of 75 ships, 3000 cannon and 15.000 troops; in the Battle of the Sound it defeated the Swedish fleet and relieved Copenhagen. In 1659 the Dutch liberated the other Danish Isles and the essential supply of grain, wood and iron from the Baltic was guaranteed once more.
Franco-Dutch War (1672–1678) was a war fought between France and a quadruple alliance consisting of Brandenburg, the Holy Roman Empire, Spain, and the United Provinces. Louis, despite the successful Siege of Maastricht in 1673, was forced to abandon his plans of conquering the Dutch and revert to a slow, cautious war of attrition around the French frontiers. By 1678, he had managed to break apart his opponents' coalition, and managed to gain considerable territories by the terms of the Treaty of Nijmegen. Most notably, the French acquired the Franche Comte and various territories in the Netherlands from the Spanish.

Government and Foreign Relations

The government was decentralized and was controlled by Holland which was the richest and most powerful province; they contributed 60% of the country's budget-half of that came from Amsterdam. Holland was ruled by the States of Holland, a body composed of delegates from 18 towns and a delegation of nobility could also vote. The States met four times a year, but there was a permanent official known as the Pensionary. Because the Pensionary formulated and implemented policies including resolving disputes between delegate, the office would become very influential. (Like how Stalin used the General Secretary's powers of selecting key government officials to wheel and deal his way to power before he killed everyone else in the Great Purge and transformed the once overlooked position into the number one post in the Soviet Union.) This was especially true b/c although in theory the Pensionary was elected for five years, many would hold the tenure for the rest of their life.
Another important post in the government was the stadholder who oversaw the public order and justice. This position coupled with the office of Captain-General (theoritical leader of the armed forces) would make the person second only to the Pensionary. One family was able to dominate the politics of the Netherlands and they were the Orange family. (The color of the original flag had an orange stripe in it, but as the family became less popular and the republicans gained more power, the stripe would eventually become red by de Witt's time) From the beginning of the United Provinces, one of these two posts were held by a member of the Orange family and would make them the most influential family in the Netherlands. In fact due to their high influential status, the Orange family would sometimes come into conflict with various other factions including the Pensionary who would try to curtail the Orange family's power by banning the Stadholder office.

The Peace of Münster was a treaty between the United Netherlands and Spain signed in 1648. It was a landmark treaty for the Dutch republic and one of the key events in Dutch history; with it, the United Netherlands finally became independent from the Holy Roman Empire. The treaty was a part of the Peace of Westphalia which ended both the Thirty Years' War and the Eighty Years' War. At peace with England after the First Anglo-Dutch War with the Treaty of Westminster in the year 1654. The peace treaty had a secret annex, the Act of Seclusion, forbidding the Dutch ever to appoint William II's infant son as new stadtholder. The Second Anglo-Dutch War began in 1665, lasting until 1667 when it ended with the Treaty of Breda, in which De Witt negotiated very favorable agreements for the Republic after the partial destruction of the British fleet in the Raid on the Medway. The Netherlands would soon acquire alliances with Spain and France soon after.The Triple Alliance of 1668 consisted of England, Sweden, and the United Provinces. It was formed to halt the expansion of Louis XIV's France in the War of Devolution. The alliance never engaged in combat against France, but it was enough of a threat to force Louis to halt his offensive and sign the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle with Spain. The League of Augsburg was formed in 1686 between the Holy Roman Emperor, Leopold I, and various of the German princes (including the Palatinate, Bavaria, and Brandenburg) to resist French aggression in Germany. The alliance was joined by Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the United Provinces.

Economy and the Society

The Dutch had large merchant and shipping fleets. In 1670, about 10% of Dutch adult males were sailors-the Dutch had more trading ships than England, France, Germany, Portugal, Scotland, and Spain combined. Of the 20,000 trading vessels carrying the maritime commerce of Europe; 15,000 were Dutch trading ships.
The Dutch East India Company was founded in 1602 with a starting capital investment of 6,425,000 florins, (3,675,000 of those florins came from merchants based in Amsterdam), nearly 40X the amount of capital the British trading company had when it was founded. The Dutch East India Company traded in tea, coffee, and spices and its monopoly would not be challenged until the latter half of the 17th century by an emergent English East India Company. The Dutch West India Company was founded in 1621 with 7,100,000 florins and traded in slaves, sugar, gold, and ivory but constant war and raids with the Spanish would negate any profits from the trade. By the 1630-1640's, most of their profit came from raiding those riduculously mega-galleons hauling gold and silver from New Spain.
Slave trade was also big in the Netherlands and they would manage the slave trade for the neighbouring factions and commanded a 10,000 fleet of slave vessels. Amsterdam would be the Slave Capital of Western Europe until the 1700s when the English would dominate the seas and subsequently the trade.
The Dutch were also involved in fishing but 1650 onward constant raids by the English/France Privateers would destroy much of their fishing trade. The Dutch also depended on the Baltic for the timber they use for shipbuilding and England would continually target Dutch shipping lanes in the Baltic which resulted in the Baltic trade dropping to 50% of their prewar trading profits. Other trades in the Baltic involved importing grains from Poland. However, the agricultural revolution/Tulip craze would soon end the extremely profitable Eastern European grain trade in Western Europe although the Dutch would still import some grain due to their dense population and lack of farmland. Nevertheless, the Dutch would find new customers for the grain in the Ottoman Empire and the New World Islands although one wonders why the Sultan didn't just use the shorter route through the Balkans to get their grain.~;)
The wars took a tremendous financial effort to win, costing the Dutch 960,000 florins in 1579, 5.5 million florins in 1599, and 18.8 million florins in 1640. Despite this expense, the Dutch were in stronger financial shape than ever by the end of the wars and were well on their way to becoming the dominant commercial and economic power in Europe. However, even the Dutch golden age couldn't last forever and in the latter half of the 17th century the Dutch annual debt soared over 500% due to their overextended military and foreign wars with England, France, and Spain/HRE.

The Dutch society would have good morale and they even had charitable instuitions that would help up to 10% of the urban population at the begining of the 1650s. They were tolerant of other religions although some were viewed with more favorable light. After independence the Netherlands adopted Calvinism as a state religion, but practiced religious tolerance towards non-Calvinists. It became a haven for Jewish and Protestant refugees from Flanders, France (Huguenots), Germany and England (Pilgrims for instance). There have always been considerable differences between orthodox and liberal interpretations of Calvinism: between Arminianism and Gomarism in the 17th century. Many immigrants came to the cities of the province Holland in the 17th and 18th century, especially from Protestant parts of Germany. The amount of first generation immigrants from outside the Netherlands in Amsterdam was nearly 50% in the 17th and 18th century. If you add immigrants from the second and third generation and immigrants from the Dutch countryside, then the city was mainly inhabited by immigrants. People in most parts of Europe were very poor, and there was a lot of unemployment. But in Amsterdam there was always work. Tolerance was important, because a continuous influx of immigrants was necessary for the economy. Travellers were surprised that the police didn't control them in Amsterdam. The Netherlands also sheltered many famous refugees, including Flemish Protestants; Portuguese and German Jews; French Protestants (Huguenots); the founder of modern philosophy, Descartes; and, temporarily, the Pilgrim Fathers, who were to become symbols for the US tradition of republicanism.
However, this was before the wealth would be strained. The lack of funds would hamper the Dutch's ability to compete with foreign markets and would begin a vicious cycle that would lead to a bankrupt state. The continual wars and competion would eventually lead to low morale and an unwillingless to restore their rightful place in Europe and would set in motion, the Dutch Empire's Golden Age demise. In order to fund any more wars, new taxes would have to be imposed but the merchants and influentual families believed taxes would compromise an already weakened economy and thus the Dutch would continue their slide into debt.

Couldn't find anything about the amount of florins in treasury, instead got facts of how rich the country was and how none of the other nations could compare. So I just put in the amount of money invested in the trading companies to give a ballpark figure of how much money I could raise.

11-23-2007, 22:42
Hey,

looking good!!! I'll start working on the chapter Sunday, so get you information in, which most of you are doing :yes: . Please someone, take Ottomans! I do not want to be stuck doing Ottomans lol.

Caius
11-23-2007, 23:17
Spain for me!

Ignoramus
11-24-2007, 11:41
England:

Ruler: Charles II

Foreign Relations: Strong ties with France. Frosty relations with the Dutch.

Army: The army declined after the Restoration, will research this more.

Economy: Will research more.

(I've got a good book covering Restoration England, but I don't have time to look at it tonight or tomorrow, will post information on Monday).

11-25-2007, 17:57
I'll get this chapter 1 up next Sunday, because I am giving all of you guys time to research your information, since some people just joined and such.

MaddenKhan2
11-26-2007, 03:47
I, Leopold I of Austria, wishs to extand our Hand in Allaince to Jan II Kasmier, of the Polish-Litshutian Commowealth!

Leopold I

11-26-2007, 03:50
Tomarrow (Monday), I will officaly update the rules regarding building, retructiment and income/expenses :yes: .

King Jan III Sobieski
11-26-2007, 20:30
I, Leopold I of Austria, wishs to extand our Hand in Allaince to Jan II Kasmier, of the Polish-Litshutian Commowealth!

Leopold I

Dispite your misspelling of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth's name :laugh4: , I shall accept your offer of alliance, comrade Leopold of Austria. While Poland looks not to unprovoked war, let the enemies of Poland know that if invaded, they shall bow to the might of the Polish-Lithuanian-Austrian Alliance!

Jan II, King of Poland, Archduke of Lithuania and Lord of the Eastern Realms.

Warluster
11-26-2007, 22:04
The Sun King wishes to offer a alliance to the two nations of Brandenburg, and England. France hopes you accept soon.

Louis XIV, Duke of Bourbon, King of France, King of Navarre, Duke of Parma, Duke of Seville, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, King of the Two Sicilies,

MaddenKhan2
11-26-2007, 22:19
Dispite your misspelling of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth's name :laugh4: , I shall accept your offer of alliance, comrade Leopold of Austria. While Poland looks not to unprovoked war, let the enemies of Poland know that if invaded, they shall bow to the might of the Polish-Lithuanian-Austrian Alliance!

Jan II, King of Poland, Archduke of Lithuania and Lord of the Eastern Realms.

Excellet Jan II! May Our nations grow under this allanice!

Leopold I

11-27-2007, 01:24
Allainces/Trade Argeements I don't mind taking place now, but no decsions untill this SUnday ofc :yes:

Someone take Ottomans! Suprise no one wants them.

Ayachuco
11-27-2007, 04:57
I, Johan de Witt, freed from any opposition from the stadholderate, would acknowledge an offer of peace and trade from any faction.
My second proposal of diplomacy as Grand Pensionary is to send an invitation to the first Alexius of the Romanov line or any able-bodied ambassador of the Russian Empire to Amsterdam to initiate a series of discussions relating our imperial designs on the world and how to best work together to achieve them.
We await your answer to our offer of alliance with much trepidation.

Northnovas
11-27-2007, 06:27
Tsar Alexis accepts the invitation from the Grand Pensionary and will send a delegation to Amsterdam to discuss economic trade and other issues of diplomacy.

The Tsar would also like it be known that Russia is open for business and would like to build on an opportunity of trading rights with other nations. Extending a friendly invitation to our neighbour and asking Jan II, King of Poland, Archduke of Lithuania and Lord of the Eastern Realms to send trading representatives to Moscow to begin work on an agreement for trade between our great countries. I would like to see merchants cross our borders and not soldiers.

From the Court of Tsar Alexis.

seireikhaan
11-27-2007, 06:34
I would like to see merchants cross our borders and not soldiers.
:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: I'm sorry, the irony was just tooo funny!

cegorach
11-27-2007, 11:43
Extending a friendly invitation to our neighbour and asking Jan II, King of Poland, Archduke of Lithuania and Lord of the Eastern Realms to send trading representatives to Moscow to begin work on an agreement for trade between our great countries. I would like to see merchants cross our borders and not soldiers.

Pardon silly me, but I 'guess' that

Poland and Russia were AT WAR at that time and in fact in 1660 two large Russian armies were sent to attack Warsaw and Lvov to ene the war, but were obliterated...And there was no possibility for a truce of any kind without a major defeat - Russian tzar took the title of the Grand Duke of Lithuania in 1655 for a reason...

+ because I care

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/cegorach/AAR/NewBitmapImage-3.jpg

here is a simple map of the positions of both armies.

The red areas in the Russian-occupied Lithuania are guerille/irregular units disrupting communications or blocking Russian held fortresses like Vilnius/Wilno, Kaunas/Kowno and even Brest.

Two Russian armies were sent to bring more men and supplies to the fortresses and to carry on with the offensive towards Warsaw and Lvov/Lwów (Ukraine). At the same time Polish-Lithuanian forces redeployed with Czarniecki's division returning from Denmark, Lubomirski's group moving from Pomerania where they were besieging Swedish garrisons and Pac's division doing the same in Courland.
Later Czarniecki brought his forces and joined the Lithuanian army close to Warsaw-Kaunas-Brest triangle while Lubomirski (finally free thanks to the peace treaty in Oliva - signed in MAY) joined Rewera Potocki in Lvov-Kamieniec Podolski-Luck triangle and supported by Crimean Tartars they challenged Sheremietiv army marching blindly towards Lvov.
1660 is nknown as the 'lucky year' for a reason - the Russians are almost totally removed from the pre-war borders of the Commonwealth and their offensive capabilities were destroyed to the end of the war.

Northnovas
11-27-2007, 12:33
Well it's an IH game trying for an alternate history and one doesn't have to repeat past mistakes. :wall: I wasn't asking for an alliance maybe a possible truce so there is no fighting between the countries when the game starts.:idea2:

MaddenKhan2
11-27-2007, 19:01
Tsar Alexis of Russia,

I would wish to extand my hand in friendship also to you, so Russia and Austria can be allies in this toublesome world.

11-27-2007, 22:49
Hey all,

If you can get your information in by Thursday, so I can start writing Friday and have it up SUnday, it be nice.

Thank you

:yes:

Northnovas
11-28-2007, 03:19
Tsar Alexis of Russia,

I would wish to extand my hand in friendship also to you, so Russia and Austria can be allies in this toublesome world.

Leopold of Austria I am willing to sit and talk of an alliance. Our southern borders have the possibility of a common enemy and it would be beneficial to work together to stop any further aggression into Europe.

Tsar Alexis

11-28-2007, 04:11
I,Mehmed IV, demand that Russia and Habsburg Austria not join in a allanice. Any smart Leaders will stop this from happening!

Mehmed IV

Off Topic:

I still need information from some People.

Swiss
Spain
Sweden

mabye one or two others I forgot. And I hope someone takes the Ottomans. Hate to be stuck with a huge country for couple chapters :laugh4:

Warluster
11-28-2007, 09:03
OOC: Maybe we could start now and they send in Info next Chapter? I really wanna see this get started.

11-28-2007, 14:51
OOC: Maybe we could start now and they send in Info next Chapter? I really wanna see this get started.

Well I'm going to start writing the chapter tomarrow (friday) if I got all the informatoion or not. the Info I just wanted so I can write the chapters more easy, but yea, it be up Sunday.

11-28-2007, 16:52
Rules are Officaly Updated :-)

Chapter is 25% done as of Thursday Night. Will be up Sunday Night, and PM's will be sent out on Monday.

11-30-2007, 21:31
Hey,

You guys want me to post each country's questions in public after the chapter for all to see or like me to PM them to you instead??

seireikhaan
11-30-2007, 22:12
Public.

woad&fangs
11-30-2007, 23:10
Public

11-30-2007, 23:18
Public it is.

35 percent donw as of now. Tomarrow it will be 50 percent done, and Sunday it will be 100% done, and be posted Sunday Night :yes:

MaddenKhan2
11-30-2007, 23:22
Louis 14th of France,

Since you are Allied with my Fellow Spanish Habsburgs in Spain, would you be interseted in a allaince with Austria?

Also,Gyorgy Rakosci II of Tranvanyila,

Would you like to have a offical allaince and trade argeement with us also?

Warluster
11-30-2007, 23:32
Leopold I of Austria,

We gratefully accept, and France hopes this Alliance be strong and resourceful.

Louis XIV, Duke of Bourbon, King of France, King of Navarre, Duke of Parma, Duke of Seville, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, King of the Two Sicilies

Csargo
11-30-2007, 23:57
Brandenburg accepts the King of France's offer.

woad&fangs
12-01-2007, 00:11
Leopold of Austria, I would gladly accept your offer of trade. However, without assistance I fear that the Ottomans will soon over run my country. Please send assistance as soon as possible.

Pope, Transylvania has long defended Christian Europe from the Ottoman hordes. Many thousands of us have died fighting them. We ask you to rally the Christians of Europe to aid us in repelling them once more.

Gyorgy Rakoscki, Prince of Transylvania and the rightful king of Poland.

12-01-2007, 00:17
We are warning Austria and the HRE to stay out and not send any troops, or we will take action against Austria and her allies.

Sultan Mehmed IV

seireikhaan
12-01-2007, 00:34
Message from his Holiness, the Pontif, Servant of the Servants of God, Alexander VII.

To the peoples of Europe: For over one hundred years, we have squabbled amonst ourselves, Christian against Christian. However, a new threat has risen to power. The evil hordes of the Islamic Ottomans now encroach upon the periphery of the civilized world. I urge all Christians to band together, and to aid the Transylvanians in their struggles against the barbarian hordes. We must protect the people following the word of God. I fear that if we do not stem the Islamic tide now, we may be too late to stop the muslims from overrunning Europe. They do not follow our laws, do not have our respect for humanity, do not recognize the divine right placed by God upon Monarchs, and threaten all of civilization. We cannot allow our own divisions to weaken us against the monsters that are the Ottomans. We must recapture the the lands taken by the Turks, liberate the souls who have been imprisoned, spiritually or otherwise, by the barbarians. 'Tis the divinely ordained duty of all Christians to defend the faith against the heathens, and to save the poor souls who have been forced under the heathen yoke already.

Northnovas
12-01-2007, 01:06
From the Court of Tsar Alexis

Pope Alexander VII we have our differences in faith. However, we are all Christians and I support your call and will work with all Christans to stop this tide from infringing further into Europe.
That is why I feel it is necessary for Austria and it's illustrious leader Leopold to to work with Russia and stop this invasion. Our two countries can coordinate a defence of Europe with the support of our other Christian neighbours.

MaddenKhan2
12-01-2007, 01:41
We will work together with the Tzar Alexis of Russia, and all other nations to stop the heathens. We call on Russia,Sweden,Poland,Cossacks and all other countries to make peace now, so we can fight the Turks!

Leopold I of Austria

King Jan III Sobieski
12-01-2007, 02:26
Message from his Holiness, the Pontif, Servant of the Servants of God, Alexander VII.

To the peoples of Europe: For over one hundred years, we have squabbled amonst ourselves, Christian against Christian. However, a new threat has risen to power. The evil hordes of the Islamic Ottomans now encroach upon the periphery of the civilized world. I urge all Christians to band together, and to aid the Transylvanians in their struggles against the barbarian hordes. We must protect the people following the word of God. I fear that if we do not stem the Islamic tide now, we may be too late to stop the muslims from overrunning Europe. They do not follow our laws, do not have our respect for humanity, do not recognize the divine right placed by God upon Monarchs, and threaten all of civilization. We cannot allow our own divisions to weaken us against the monsters that are the Ottomans. We must recapture the the lands taken by the Turks, liberate the souls who have been imprisoned, spiritually or otherwise, by the barbarians. 'Tis the divinely ordained duty of all Christians to defend the faith against the heathens, and to save the poor souls who have been forced under the heathen yoke already.

I, Jan II of Poland, support the Holy See in its statement against the Ottomans. This is a threat faced by all of Christendom which can no longer be ignored. As such, I would like to make a truce with the respective Lords of Russia and Sweden.

Northnovas
12-01-2007, 03:00
I, Jan II of Poland, support the Holy See in its statement against the Ottomans. This is a threat faced by all of Christendom which can no longer be ignored. As such, I would like to make a truce with the respective Lords of Russia and Sweden.

Tsar Alexis

This is most excellent news to hear from my neighbour! Russia will be bound by the terms of our truce and I will now concentrate the war effort in concert with Austria against the foes of Christendom.

OOC: I think a Crusade is forming!

MaddenKhan2
12-01-2007, 03:08
Tsar Alexis

This is most excellent news to hear from my neighbour! Russia will be bound by the terms of our truce and I will now concentrate the war effort in concert with Austria against the foes of Christendom.

OOC: I think a Crusade is forming!

This is Excellet. We will Relieve you,Gyorgy Rakoscki, Keep holding on!

Csargo
12-01-2007, 03:15
King Frederick William of Prussia

The Kingdom of Prussia have made an agreement with Emperor Leopold that in return for my autonomy to reign my kingdom, Prussia will join the crusade against the Turkish infidels and provide military support in any way possible.

12-01-2007, 03:20
We Declare War on Austria,Russia and Brandenburg for their Deifenice. We also Declare War on Poland for allowing this to be done. We will March to each one of your captiols and burn them to the ground.

Sultan Mehmed IV

Intersting Folks!!!.

I still like Julian (Sweden) and Bopa (Swiss) to post here and confirm they still around, since I'll have the Chapter 1 up in not even a day and a half or so.

And Ottomans are still open to :yes:

Csargo
12-01-2007, 03:23
I have been insulted!!! :cry:

MaddenKhan2
12-01-2007, 03:57
I have been insulted!!! :cry:

I think the Sultan didn't take a nap :sweatdrop:

Ayachuco
12-01-2007, 04:31
Oh No! That must meant that Warman gave the Ottoman Empire souped up stats and a huge army. Someone plz take the Ottomans or else we will be dominated. :beam: :egypt:
:focus:
The Grand Pensionary
I, Johan de Witt, declare the Netherland's neutrality in this Crusade against the Ottomans. The United Provinces find no incentives at the moment in attacking our loyal customers of our goods. But my mind has not been set fully in this course of action, yet. Perhaps extended trading rights with other Christian nations and alliances with Sweden and Spain would help loosen the purse strings of the Netherland's treasury. If and only if these conditions are more or less met, then the Crusade may get the financial backing of the mighty Amsterdam Bank.

Warluster
12-01-2007, 05:42
IC:

France for now takes a neutral stance in this war, but we ask, kindly, that the Ottoman Empire please stop all hostilities against France's Allys, namely Prussia and Austria. If you continue to be hostile, we may not take a neutral stance.

If Europe wishes to destroy itself, we will not, for now. France also wishes to remind the Ottoman Empire that we barely have to lift a finger to annihilate you. If you wish, you may continue to attack RUssia and Poland, but not Austria or Prussia.

Louis XIV, Duke of Bourbon, King of France, King of Navarre, Duke of Parma, Duke of Seville, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, King of the Two Sicilies

12-01-2007, 19:21
Oh No! That must meant that Warman gave the Ottoman Empire souped up stats and a huge army. Someone plz take the Ottomans or else we will be dominated. :beam: :egypt:
:focus:
The Grand Pensionary
I, Johan de Witt, declare the Netherland's neutrality in this Crusade against the Ottomans. The United Provinces find no incentives at the moment in attacking our loyal customers of our goods. But my mind has not been set fully in this course of action, yet. Perhaps extended trading rights with other Christian nations and alliances with Sweden and Spain would help loosen the purse strings of the Netherland's treasury. If and only if these conditions are more or less met, then the Crusade may get the financial backing of the mighty Amsterdam Bank.

Lol Yes please, take Ottomans. I don't mind doing them for awhile, but if this war takes place, it be hard :yes: .

We are Asking Eurpoe to mind their own business. Austria,Prussia, and the rest of the countries here has no need in our interest in Transylvania. We do not want war with them, but if they demand it, we will give it to them!

Sultan Mehmed IV

12-01-2007, 22:02
Sun Tzu “All Warfare is based on deception”

The Year is 1660

Since 1658, the Ottomans have been expanding their reign over Eastern Europe, particularly in pacifying Wallachia, Moldova and Transylvania. This greatly concerns the young Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I. Not only does he have to worry about the Turkish threat, France also poses a small threat on the Empire’s western border,even though they are now allies. There is some concern about Louis XIV’s potentially growing influence in the German states. Leopold I may be able to call on a militia and the German States for Help in his potential threat in the east, but if Louis XIV’s influence keep growing in the german states, they may not aid him and he may soon have a war, not only on the east, but on his western front also. Transylvania is trying to fight against the Ottomans, but it seems the Ottomans may keep conquering towns in Wallachia,Moldova and Transylvania. Not Only that, Leopold I has to deal with Finacial Instabillty in his country. The 30 years war still has a effect on his treasury somewhat, and back taxes people own do not help matters much. Leopold I and his allies just need to get finacial backing from the Netherlands for things to go easiler

The Ottomans, Under Sultan Mehmed IV are expanding their Empire West, invading Transylvania,Moldova and Wallachia. Venice is still at War with Ottomans, with Muslims forces attacking the town of Candia, which been under siege for years now. The Ottomans are Now dealing with a crusade against them, but they have a large number of jansesseries avabile though.

The Papacy is trying to get Rome back to it's former glory, even though the city has only little more then 100,000 people. THe Papacy is condoning a Crusade that is taking place against the Ottomans. Poland,Austria,Russia,Prussia,Transylvania,Papacy are apart of this crusade so far.

Meanwhile in England, Colonel George Monck and his regiment crosses from Scotland to England at Coldstream and advances to London to support the English Restoration. Samuel Pepys also starts a diary of the events going on here in England. Their nation is Protestant, unlike their Catholic Processors.
In France, Louis XIV signed the Treaty of the Pyrenees a year before, in 1659, to end its war with Spain. They signed an alliance treaty with Leopold I of Austria/HRE, and are willing to trade with them. Even Though They are now allies with Austria/HRE, Tensions are still up in there in the German States. Although, Louis warned the Ottomans not to lauch a assault on the Austrians/Prussians, but he seems he does not care though if Poland/Russia gets assaulted by them.

Meanwhile, speaking of Russia/Poland, They signed a truce, so Russia is freed from fighintg Poland, they can deal with Ottomans and the Sweds if needed. The Kingdom of Prussia been granted autonomy by Leopold I of Austria, the HRE Leader. His country (Hohenzollerns is still on tense terms with Poland. The Swedish are still at war with Denmark,Prussia/Brandenburg and Russia, but they are still fighting on.

The Swiss became a independet country so to speak from the HRE in 1648. The countries around them are making allanices, but they have yet to make deals.

Countries will Rise and Fall in this Timespan, who will be left standing?

Question for the Crusade (Austria,Russia,Poland,Prussia,Papacy,Transylvania,tell me if I miss someone):

Who will Be Commander-In-Chief of the Force? It can be your Leader. But if so, he must go and fight, and he will raise morale of troops, but he may be killed. You may put a general (real life if you may) in charge also. You guys can discuss it.

Austria/HRE:

1. You signed a alliance treaty with France, Russia and Poland. You also let Elector Frederick of Prussia go ahead and lead his country. At this time, The Crusade is beginning to go ahead and plan on what to do. But should you go ahead with it, even though it’s your idea. If you relieve Transyvainya, they may attack Poland once the crusade is over, and Poland being your ally, which has a bigger army then you at the moment. But if you do not relieve them, you will certainly hear about it. Do you:

A. Send a Relief Force to help Transylvania fight The Turks
B. Do as above, but launch a assault on Turkish lands also
C. Send Money and suupiles to Transylvania,but no troops
D. Nothing,ditch the whole idea
E. Other?

2. You have ploblems with Backtaxes in Austria and pat of Hungary you control.After paying loans and other things, you have 50,000 gold to spend. You could have more, but have debts to England and Netherlands, plus have to pay your troops You have a standing army of 24,500, 25,000 men really, since you have 500 milita in your capital (I am allowing each capital, and capitals only, in each country to have a minium of 500 milita to defend it). You can Reruict more troops if you wish and Mercenies. You can also build buildings if you wish (PM me what you like to build):

A. Retrucit all 5,000 troops and properly train them, plus hire all 2,500 Mercenies
B. Hire only a handful of Mercs and 5000 troops
C. Other?

3.If you do go ahead and Attack the Turks, where would your forces strike at?

Poland:

1.You signed a Truce with Russia, so you can both faced the threat on the east. But you still at war with the Sweds and random Cossack tribes,Do you:

A. Contuine the War with the Sweds/Cossacks
B. Try to make peace with them (PM)
C. Other?

2.You are better when it comes to Taxes, but you in a middle of a war, and have to pay 60,000 troops. You have 100,000 gold on you. What do you like to do. You can retruict up to 5,000 troops (regular,pro trained) and 2,500 Mercs. You can also build things also.

3. If you join the Crusade offcaily, Where will you strike at?

The Netherlands:

1. You are not at war with anyone at the moment, but you could finace the crusade. Will you?
2. You have 200,000 gold at the moment. How many Troops/Mercs would you like to retruict, plus what do you like to build?

England:

1.Charles II recently Took over England. What will you do to reserve the changes made by the Cromwells?

2.Will you Allied with France? Will you join the Crusade? If you do, how will you support them?

3. You have about 45,000 troops as of now. You have about 75,000 gold to spend. What would you like to do with it?

France:

1.You have about 50,000 Troops as of Now. Your Army is one of the best in the world. You have about 125,000 gold to spend. What would you like to do?

2.You are remaining netrual as of now. But your influence in Some of the German States are down, but some of them are rising. How do you address this,even though you allies with Austria/HRE?

3.If you do join the Crusade, what will you do?

Spain:

1.You have 25,000 Troops as of now. Your Country is not as strong as it once was. You have about 25,000 gold, and closing in on going broke. What will you build/retruict?

2. Since your war with France only a year ago, and lost some land,what will you do?

A. Fight France Again, hoping for allies
B. Remain allies
C. Nothing
D. Other?

3.Will you join the Crusade? If so, how many troops will be commited.

Sweden:

1.You are still at war with Poland. What will you do?\

A. Make a Truce
B. Contiune the War
C. Other?

2. If you Contuine the War, Where will you strike Poland Next at?

3.You have 45,000 troops. You have 70,000 gold. What do you wish to do with it?

Russia:

1. You made a Truce with Poland. But you still at war with Sweds, what will you do with them?

A. Make A Truce
B. Still Fight
C. Other?

2. if you keep fighting, where will you strike next?
3. You have 250,000 men, a large force indeed. You have 150,000 gold abavile to retrucit/build,lend finacial support. What will you do?
4. Since you in the Crusade, how many troops will you commit, and where will you attack?
5. Anything else?

The Swiss:

1.All the countries around you are talking about alliances and wars. What will you do?
2. If you do go to war, how many troops will you commit? You have about 20,000 troops total, and 40,000 gold to spend.

Transylvania:

1. Your Town of Varad is besiged. What will you do to lift the Siege?
A. Try to retruict Mercs and Regular milita while you wait for help
B. Try to keep fighting
C. Other?

2.You have about 15,000 troops (wild guess) still abavile. You do have some money, not much. 10,000 gold. It can get you about 4,000 troops, or all 2,500 mercs. What will you do?

3.anything else?

Prussia/Brandenburg:

1.You have 25,000 Troops. You have 45,000 gold to spend, what you like to spend it on? How many troops you like to retruict?

2.You are still at war with Sweden, what will you do with them?

3. You have 25,000 troops, how many will you send for the crusade, and where will they strike, or will they join a Austrian or another country's force for a combined strike force?

4.Anything Else?

The Papacy:

1. You have 100,000 Gold to spend on. You Can Retruict 5,000 Swiss Guard for your own protection, and another 10,000 troops (regular and mercs combined) to send to the crusude. what you like to do?

2. What will you do with the Crusade?

3.Anything else?

Good luck boys!!!!!!!!

Csargo
12-01-2007, 23:30
None for me. :bigcry:

seireikhaan
12-01-2007, 23:31
:inquisitive: C'mon, I helped start the crusade, and I don't even get any mention in chapter one? At least options like everyone else? Something?

woad&fangs
12-01-2007, 23:59
I believe that Transylvania is part of the crusade considering that I'm the one who started it. I'll gladly lead the crusade since I'll be involved in the battles anyways.

O yes, Go Pope!!!

Gyorgi Rakosci

12-02-2007, 01:19
:beam: :wall: :sweatdrop: Yea Sorry guys, I forgot to double check and add the stuff in. My bad, me edit it now!!! :yes:

Warluster
12-02-2007, 01:26
IC:

France wishes to gurantee the independance of the German States. If anyone, even my Allies, tries to take Military Control over the STates in any way or form, our Alliance will be canceled and War carefully considered.

If the Ottomans attack Austria, France will consider War.

MaddenKhan2
12-02-2007, 01:30
IC:

France wishes to gurantee the independance of the German States. If anyone, even my Allies, tries to take Military Control over the STates in any way or form, our Alliance will be canceled and War carefully considered.

If the Ottomans attack Austria, France will consider War.

I will not take military Control of the German states, independant or not. We are asking the French though, to consider going to war with the Ottomans now and joining the crusade.

12-02-2007, 02:11
The People of Veince will Join the Crusade against the Turks. We are besieged by the Turks at Candia, but we can hold out, and we can commit 1,000 troops.

King Jan III Sobieski
12-02-2007, 02:50
We are Asking Eurpoe to mind their own business. Austria,Prussia, and the rest of the countries here has no need in our interest in Transylvania. We do not want war with them, but if they demand it, we will give it to them!

Sultan Mehmed IV

The Infidel Emperor had best start counting the days...until he is expelled from the European Continent.

Jan II Casmir, King of Poland, Archduke of Lithuania

Caius
12-02-2007, 04:18
Leader: Carlos II de España

Alliances: none.

Pacts: None that I am aware of

War: With Portugal, stopped in 1668.

Rebellions: There is popular discunformity about the situation, but there werent rebellions.

Military campaigns: Dominating Soth America

Army Org: 25.000 soldiers

Economy: We are exploiting South America. You know, SA had gold

Trading: I don't think I have problem with anyone to trade

Rule: No idea.

Religions: Catolic, because the kings were.

Social situations: There were propaganda about the situation. Nothing more than that.

Dang, Carlos II made the country a lot of damage. I'm condemned to doom.

Julian the apostate
12-02-2007, 04:44
The great and most dutiful nation of Sweden would like to extend an offer of Peace to Poland in order to allow its neighbor to combat the Islamic threat to the south. While we are no friends to the catholics of Poland, we know the the Muslims are an entirely new factor within Europe something we know nothing of and might turn the tide.

We would also like to respectfully ask for the Kingdom of Denmark to renounce their hold over the "Kingdom of Norway" and to stop their nigh puppet rule of the Northern Lands.

Good Emperor Leopold, I will offer the prussians amnesty from my fair country and leave your Noble Alliance to its business if you would support me against the Danes and their influence in the Northern lands. I would also be more than willing to offer you some financial support if you would be willing to put some pressure on the Danes to cede this land.

Russia, I would like to ask for peace and leave you to fight the turks in the South. I am weary of war with your people and know the strength of your army. It is a messy conflict when our armies meet one destined to kill many noble men of Noble birth on both sides so I plead for peace

Northnovas
12-02-2007, 04:57
Court of Tsar Alexis

The Tsar will accept Sweden's offer of peace and take no aggression to our northern borders. Russia wishes to mobilize it's forces to it's southern borders and fight the scourge invading Europe.

Incongruous
12-02-2007, 11:16
OOC: I hope someone could help me, I can find jack all on the Swiss of this period, can someone point in the right direction?

12-02-2007, 16:23
OOC: I hope someone could help me, I can find jack all on the Swiss of this period, can someone point in the right direction?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancien_R%C3%A9gime_of_Switzerland

nice wikipedia article about them 1648-1700. I will contiune to help you find infromation Bopa :yes:

MaddenKhan2
12-03-2007, 00:29
The great and most dutiful nation of Sweden would like to extend an offer of Peace to Poland in order to allow its neighbor to combat the Islamic threat to the south. While we are no friends to the catholics of Poland, we know the the Muslims are an entirely new factor within Europe something we know nothing of and might turn the tide.

We would also like to respectfully ask for the Kingdom of Denmark to renounce their hold over the "Kingdom of Norway" and to stop their nigh puppet rule of the Northern Lands.

Good Emperor Leopold, I will offer the prussians amnesty from my fair country and leave your Noble Alliance to its business if you would support me against the Danes and their influence in the Northern lands. I would also be more than willing to offer you some financial support if you would be willing to put some pressure on the Danes to cede this land.

Russia, I would like to ask for peace and leave you to fight the turks in the South. I am weary of war with your people and know the strength of your army. It is a messy conflict when our armies meet one destined to kill many noble men of Noble birth on both sides so I plead for peace

We will do our Best to help you pressure the Danes. Your financial help will be appaecaite!

12-03-2007, 00:42
Deadline is This Friday,Decemeber 7th

cegorach
12-03-2007, 08:43
Hmmm... There was no Kingdom of Prussia at that time - if Brandenburg declares it is becomes one Poland would see it as declaration of war because legally speaking Kingdom of Prussia would be a successor of eutonic Order so would threaten Polish possessions in Pomerelia ( Danzig, Thorn/Torun etc.) called Royal Prussia at that time.

About the rest I won't speak, but the Ottomans, Poland and probably Russia have just commited suicide.:inquisitive:

Caius
12-03-2007, 23:15
People of Germany:

Please don't trust France words. They want power, they can have it. France is a threat for our nations. We had to gave some settlements because of the MURDERER that is Louis XIV.

Have a nice day

Carlos II

Incongruous
12-04-2007, 04:24
To the nations of Europe.

The peoples of the Swiss Confederation wish to make this statement.

That in the event of any war between the great powers of Europe we shall stay neutral and continue the trade of goods between the nations. We shall accept requests for loans from any country which needs them, if payment is not met, then our armies will.

We shall hire out regiments of our men to those we deem needing of their services.

We wish all nations to agree to thie proposal for the good of Europe.

MaddenKhan2
12-04-2007, 04:27
Do not Worry, People of the Swiss Conferderation, we Will not invade you, or do any harm to you people! We will respect your Netrual stance. Spain, I understand Spain's concerns very well, along with Frederick's, but can we try to get along if possible without going to war?

Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor

Csargo
12-04-2007, 04:32
To King Louis:

The matters of the German states are just that German matters, hardly any of your business. Alliance or not if you make any attempt in German affairs it will be met with stiff Prussian political and military resistance if necessary. We wish to continue our good relations with you, but if you force our hand we will not back down.

King Frederick William I of Prussia

12-04-2007, 04:37
To King Louis:

We also are demanding that Louis stay out of German Affrais. Also for the information of another nations,We will join in on the Crusade against the Turks.

German State of Bavaria

Warluster
12-04-2007, 07:21
We are staying out of German Affairs, we are not invading Germany or anything. France is only guartening that if someone else meddles in the German States we will flatten them.

France wishes for Spain to stick their nose out of our buisness. We only have to remind you war would not be a good thing for you at this hour, we only have to remind you are the MURDERER. We do not war, but a peaceful Europe.

You, Carlos, are obviously the murderer, openly wanting war but accusing other nations of nonexsistant things. We also wish to warn Brandenburg off.

Csargo
12-04-2007, 07:26
warn me off?

Warluster
12-04-2007, 07:30
We have been threatened with war, we do not take it lightly that Brandenburg wishes to throw aroudn such a threat so lightly. We are warning you off, to reduce the threat of war. Such a war would benefit none.

Csargo
12-04-2007, 07:36
Only if you threaten the German states.

Warluster
12-04-2007, 07:39
But we haven't, have we? In fact, we have done completely the opposite by guaranteing the continued exsistence of the German States. Why threaten US with War when you should be threatening nations like Spain who openly lust for war?

Csargo
12-04-2007, 07:49
I said if you meddle in German affairs I would be resistant to you, if not then there will be no interference by me.

12-04-2007, 15:14
Remember, if you buy any Mercs from the Swiss, you have to tell me about it. I want to include them in the story of course :yes: .

Bopa, I got your PM, I'll look around for some good Books. I do have a god Samurai Ospey book I think it is, but I checky for Ospey Swiss Books also :yes:

Northnovas
12-04-2007, 23:03
To the nations of Europe.

The peoples of the Swiss Confederation wish to make this statement.

That in the event of any war between the great powers of Europe we shall stay neutral and continue the trade of goods between the nations. We shall accept requests for loans from any country which needs them, if payment is not met, then our armies will.

We shall hire out regiments of our men to those we deem needing of their services.

We wish all nations to agree to thie proposal for the good of Europe.

The Tsar of Russia acknowledges the Swiss Confederation's neutrality and openly accepts the offer of trade between our countries.

Alexis

Caius
12-04-2007, 23:10
You, Carlos, are obviously the murderer, openly wanting war but accusing other nations of nonexsistant things. We also wish to warn Brandenburg off.
I consider this as an insult! How can you dare? You are killing my people, and, as a reminder, you have MY lands. I'm publically claiming that I want those lands back. Sadly, our soldiers rest in peace. YOUR AMBITION OF TERRITORIES HAVE DONE A LOT OF DAMAGE TO OUR COUNTRY.

Why threaten US with War when you should be threatening nations like Spain who openly lust for war?
Because YOU want to CONQUER lands that ARENT yours.

Then, I call for any people of my country (and others also) to join this war. We have been DESTROYED. My country is damaged, and only if You, Lord Louis XIV The Liar, are going to pay for the destruction done by YOUR country to mine, then your soldiers won't see blood.

Carlos II de España

12-05-2007, 04:52
Hmmm... There was no Kingdom of Prussia at that time - if Brandenburg declares it is becomes one Poland would see it as declaration of war because legally speaking Kingdom of Prussia would be a successor of eutonic Order so would threaten Polish possessions in Pomerelia ( Danzig, Thorn/Torun etc.) called Royal Prussia at that time.

About the rest I won't speak, but the Ottomans, Poland and probably Russia have just commited suicide.:inquisitive:

Hmmm.... Intersting News Cegorach:yes: .

Warluster
12-05-2007, 08:12
Carlos, what damage? This is absolute nonsense, you are kicking up wet dust. I never said I have territorial ambitions, and we have not been to war for perhaps 20 years now. I am not going to pay for anything, Carlos the Accuser.

Lous XIV, King of France, Duke of Bourbon, King of the Two Sicilies, Duke of parma, DUke of Seville, Grand Duke of Luxembourg,

Incongruous
12-05-2007, 08:46
To peoples of Europe.

The Swiss Confederation wishes to make this declaration.

We urge that all Europeans in an effort to expand our markets and increase profits turn all attention to the Barbarian Hordes of Osman. We must take the Islands of the Middle sea and make it a European trading zone.

We must gain control of the Egyptian canal way and thuse gain control of our own Indian and Oriental route.

The possibilities for wealth and trade are immense.

We would be willing to send a large well trained force to the command of any ruler who wuld take up these challnges along with a large yearly payment In purpose of guarenteeing us a large share in the profits.

THE SWISS

Kalle
12-05-2007, 14:07
We must gain control of the Egyptian canal way and thuse gain control of our own Indian and Oriental route.

Sorry to meddle in a thing im not involved in i.e. this thread but I look around sometimes and had to react on this.

The landlocked Swiss are apparantly very enthusiastic about shipping through the Suez canal?? Or do you mean some other canal?? If Suez canal I dont think it existed at all either in the 17th or 18th century, maybe as a vision among some colonial/trading powers but hardly even that.

Kalle

12-05-2007, 20:34
Hey,

Remember, I need decsions by Friday (but I will push deadline by a few days if needed). I got alot of them expect for a few.

Ayachuco
12-06-2007, 21:50
From the offices of the States General,

I, Johan de Witt, as Grand Pensionary of the United Provinces of the Netherlands and with the approval of the States General will sever trade rights with Norway and declare war on the Kingdom of Denmark. We will also recruit 2500 mercenaries for use in our war with the Danes.

I also acknowledges the Swiss Confederation's neutrality in all European conflicts and will honor their pledge. Although my nation would also want to acquire a shorter sea route to the Orient, I am still not able to declare war on the Ottomans, yet. However, perhaps the King of Spain can convince me otherwise.

King Carlos II of Spain, although our histories with one another have been filled with war and suffering on both sides, I would like to extend an offer of alliance to you and help guarantee the Spanish Netherland's independence from the greedy French monarchy's imperial crown. We would like to have a buffer zone between the French nation and ours and you, King Carlos, cannot afford the loss of your territories in the Netherlands for there are rumors that the riches of your New Spain colonies have begun to dissipate. Our previous reasons for dispute and war (the legitimacy of your rule in the Northern Netherlands and subsequent division of the area) has now become beneficial for my nation. We do not believe the French King's promise of a better and peaceful Europe. Have not anyone noticed how he relishes in declaring his ownerships of other lands and land he conquered from King Carlos II's father, (Philip IV)? Perhaps by peace, King Louie means to conquer all of Europe and establish a peace imposed by his imperial and despotic scepter and spread the blue and the fleur-de-lis across the continent.
On a final note, I feel your pain for our nation has also been damaged (by your grandfather and father, of course:beam: ), but we were able to rebuild and become a better nation. And with an alliance and trading rights with our country perhaps you will do the same also, King Carlos of Spain.

Johan de Witt
Grand Pensionary of the United Provinces of the Netherlands

12-06-2007, 22:24
We are sadded to see The United Netherlands and Sweden wanting us to renouce our claims over Norway, and Netherlands declaring war on us. We will defend our right to rule Norway and Denmark, and we will not listen to the Netherlands,or Sweden. We also will tell Leopold I of Austria/HRE to mind his own business.

King Frederick III, King of Denmark and King of Norway

Julian the apostate
12-07-2007, 02:44
Denmark. The time comes for you to decide what matters to you. Your pride or your life and those of your people? We Swedes accept any and every Danish soldier who leaves Freddrick like brothers. We are one people to be united together.

king Charles XI

Do what you believe is right but remember, you cannot win this war so why fight?

Caius
12-07-2007, 22:02
Johan de Witt,

I'm very grateful of your help in this matter. We can be allies. Unleash the army.

I can't wait to rename my part of France to Francia Hispana. France have to be taken down.

woad&fangs
12-08-2007, 04:32
Transylvania is currently recruiting militiamen while we wait for our crusading allies to arrive and assist in lifting the siege of Varad. Godspeed to our Christian bretheran.

Gyorgi Rakosci II

MaddenKhan2
12-08-2007, 04:37
Just Hold out Transylvania, We are rushing to your aid! We will not let the Ottomans take your freedom!

Leopold I of Austrian/Holy Roman Empire

Incongruous
12-08-2007, 10:05
The Swiss Confederation.

We once again urge the Rulers of Civilized nations from fighting one another, and instead turn their swords upon the Turks.

12-08-2007, 16:30
If I am correct, I still need decsions:

Swiss
English
Tranvyianla

I double check again though :yes:

12-09-2007, 18:46
Chapter 2, The Blast of the Cannons….....

This Turn Takes Place From Januray 1660 untill July 1660 (6 months)

The Blast of Cannons are ringing out at Varad, as a reinforced 45,000 Man Turkish Force, Which consist of 25,000 Elite Janissaries, a massive number of elite Heavy Cavlary (10,000 Siphas), 6,000 Ottoman Levies, and a surpsing number of people from Wallachia,Molvadia and Transvyaina that join the Turkish army on their own accord (and some was force to), 4,000 Trans/Wallachia/Moldavia Levies and 18 Cannons. The Garrsion in Varad are now relief to see a Garrsion Force Coming their way. It Takes 2 Months for the Relief Force to Pair up, but only a matter of Weeks before they reach the town. 40,000 Russians, under a New Russian Field Marshal, 10,000 Austrians Lead by Leopold I Himself, and 12,500 Polish and 5,000 Transyvianlies. Austrian Force Consits of 500 Swiss Pikemen Mercs and 500 Austrian Cavalry as Leopold’s Bodyguard, 8,000 Austrian Inftray, and another 1,000 Austrian Cavalry and 2 Cannons. Russian Army has 30,000 Inftray, and 10,000 Cavalry and 3 Cannons. Trans Army has all Cavalary,mostly light, but some heavy cav, and 1 cannon, and the Polish Army Has 6,250 Polish Hussars and 6,250 Infrtray and 4 cannons. The Whole Relief Force is total at 67,500 Troops and 10 Cannons. The Battles takes place outside of Varad on March 21 1660. The Austrians and Trans forces charges first, with all Polish Inf strking from the flanks. The Ottomans starts to fall back, only to send it a reserve force of 5,000 Janserries and 5,000 Siphas to reinforce the lines, but they have no more reinforcements. The Russians seeing this, Send their own entire force into the fight. The Polish, Also send in their 6,250 Hussars, and Leopold I leads his 500 Austrian Cavalry and 500 Swiss Pikemen down the hill, slamming into the Turks. After 14 hours of Fighting, Varad is Save, but With High Costs. 20,000 Turks Lay dead on the Field, and 10,000 are captured. 10,000 Relief Force Troops plus 1,000 troops from the garrison are dead, with 1,000 Austrians and 250 Polish and 50 Austrians Captured. The Ottoman and Russian Generals are dead on the Field. Leopold I is slighty wounded, and The Polish Field Marshal is ok. The Russian Stay in Varad to defend it, While the Austrians and Polish withdraw to their respective countries to join other parts of their armies in the massive invasion.

Meanwhile in the north, The Russians are sending 40,000 Troops to stay off the Polish Border on Garrsion Duty as they both argeed upon. Then The Russians are sending 15,000 Troops east of the Black Sea to take Batumi and Trazabon. Batumi falls without a fight, but the Russians get Ambush at Trazabon and loses 3,000 Troops, and the other 12,000 Falls back to Batumi.50,000 Russians are also heading to Burgas. Russian Army also retrucits 4,000 Inf and 1,000 Cavalary.

In the Ottoman Held Terroity however, things are looking not so good. A 2,000 Men Swiss Army, being joined by 8,000 Troops from the Pope and 1,000 Bavarians and 1,000 Veince, march into Bihac, a Ottoman Town, by accident on the way to join the relief force. In Apirl 8th, the 2,000 Man Garrsion, all Turkish Janserries, storied out and surprised the 12,000 Man force which had a nice size cannons, 15 cannons, and almost broke them, until the Swiss Muskets open up,killing many Turks, and the Swiss Pikemen Fell Into Place. The Turkish Garrsion was Massarced, while All the Veince Troops died,since they was in a massive rout, and 200 Swiss Died and 1,000 Papel Troops Died. Bihac is now Garrsion with 10,8000 Troops.

A 10,000 Austrian Force, and 10,000 Prussians make their way to Gran, and get there in Late March, when the Varad battle is going on. But They Get ambush also, and fall back. A 15,000 Janserriy Force, with 5,00 Siphas and 30 cannons attack them on the Austrian/Turkisj Border, but on March 28th, the Turks fall back after losing 6,000 troops and 2,000 caputed. 2,000 Prussians are killed and 2,500 Austrians died also.

In Other War News, a 10,000 Man Spanish force attacks Bouissillon, regaining it from French Control without a Fight. However, When they attack Toulouse, they are met by a Thin Line of 10,000 French Men in that section of Toulouse. They, the Spanish, are about to break their line, when 5,000 French Reserves, plus another 5,000 from another part of Toulouse, leaving that part undefened, rushes to it aid, and push the Spanish Back. The Spanish Lose 4,000 Troops, and the French Caputred 1,000 Spanish. The French lost 5,000 Troops, and had 2,000 of their troops Captured. The Remaining Spanish are Falling back to their new gain terroity in Boissiillion.

The German States are becoming worried with the Finacial Plobelms Leopold I of Austria is having, but they are also worried about the French meddling. Some German States are remaining Loyal to Leopold I, some are suprising leading to the French, and the rest of taking up of a Prussia Favour. The Pope Is Also defending his Riverways with 10 ships he recenetly built.

The Pope is Sending Troops to Rome and Naples, spending money to get more Swiss Guards. He is Also building 5 more Churches in Rome and other places, and They are buying Naples and Sicliy from Spain.

The Swiss are building a Grand Gunsmith in Bern and a Mitliarty Academy of Learning also.

The Prussians are upgrading the defenes for Konigsberg and Berlin. They are also building a Gunmill. They will also retruict 5,000 troops.

Prussia:

1. You have 8,000 Troops on the Austrian Border with their 7,500 troops guarding the border. What do you plan to do with your troops now? You Also captured 1,000 Turks, with the Austrians Taking 1,000. What will you do with the Turks?

2. Your Population is happy you taking part in the Relief Force, but they worried you will overextended your force.

3. How do you combat the French Influnce, but how do you aderess quite a bit of the German States wanting to join with Prussia?

Poland:

1. Where will you Stirke at Next?
2. Your Popluation does not Like Leopold I, what do you do now?
3. The Danes are still At war with Sweden and the Netherlands, what do you say about this?

Russia:

1. You Took Batumi, and have 12,000 Troops there. You have 37,000 Troops left at Varad. What will you do now?
2. You Caputred 3,000 Turks, what will you do with them?
A.Cannon Fodder
B. Tortue and Kill Them
C. Ransom Them
D. Release them
E.Other?

3. Your Popluation is happy with you trading reforms, but what to go back to War with Poland when the Crusade is over. How do you address this?

The Swiss:

1. You have lost 500 Mercs so Far in Fighting. How do you address this?
2. What Now for the Netrual Country?

The Pope:

1. Do you Press on To Buda/Pest/Gran, or no or somewhere else?
2. Your Population is happy to see you building Churches, what will you do now?

The French:

1. you Took Spanish Prisoners, what do you do with them?
2. Do you Reinforce your Lines, and/or Attack
3. What else?

The Spanish:

1. You Took back Boussioln, but got push back from Toulouse, This is good and bad. What do you do now?
2. You Took French Prisonoers, their fate is in your hands. What do you do now?
3. Other?

Sweden:

1. You Made Peace with Poland, but at war with the Danes, what you do with them now?
2. Other?

Netherlands:

1. What you like to do this turn?
You retrucited 5,000 Inf and 2,500 Cav, any more this turn?

I didn't add Money/Troops, and some other stuff Since I was slighty low on time, but I will do so next Chapter. Just Tell me what you like to buy and I figure it out.:yes:

Deadline:December 18

Thank You Everyone!!!!!!!!:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :clown:

woad&fangs
12-09-2007, 23:09
What are the choices for Transylvania this turn?

Caius
12-11-2007, 04:12
A call for Louis XIV:

Your intentions of conquering our lands have been removed, and we have your soldiers, praying with mercy. They are scared, and they are waiting for your decition to save themselves. I'm willing to change the end of your country.

This lands were owned by the Spanish when the French people took to us, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franche-Comt%C3%A9

I publicy claim for this land, as it is ours. The fate of your people lies in your hand, Louis XIV The Murderer. Its your chance to save your people.

To the Swiss: We, the Spanish, understand that you want to stay our of any war. We will let you alone. We want some trade with your nation, is that possible?

This is not a call only for the Swiss. I'm interested in trading with all the countries who are interested on it.

Have a good day,

Carlos II de España

Warluster
12-11-2007, 04:20
Carlos,

We also have your soldiers. The land you claim is mine, as I rightfully took it from your ahnds.

Carlos, why fight? You call me names, you claim names for conquests you dream of. Do I have to remind you? We have over 50 000 troops, veterans and experinced, against your 25 000 simple recruits. Can you not see the way this war leans?
(OOC: Are you sure that maps right? Its not near the Spanish Netherlands or Spain...)
I offer a deal, it is fair considering I could easily overwhelm you. After seeing a map of the provinces I took from you, I will gice them back, with the prisoners, if you give back the land you took and my prisoners. We shall also sign a alliance and trade treaty. What say you?

Be warned, I have at least 50 000 troops heading to Southern France...

Lous XIV,

Incongruous
12-13-2007, 06:07
Is this still active?

Ayachuco
12-13-2007, 07:02
We can pretend to be active until Warman8 comes back in March 08, hopefully. Don't forget to send in your orders.

Northnovas
12-13-2007, 14:17
We can pretend to be active until Warman8 comes back in March 08, hopefully. Don't forget to send in your orders.

I know the 18th is the deadline for orders but they will not be followed up on till March because W8 is away till then?

12-13-2007, 22:02
Don't Worry about the Deadline. Just make sure you have the in by Januray,no later then early Feburaby when I come back officaly.

Cya then :yes:

King Jan III Sobieski
12-14-2007, 06:45
Transylvania is currently recruiting militiamen while we wait for our crusading allies to arrive and assist in lifting the siege of Varad. Godspeed to our Christian bretheran.

Gyorgi Rakosci II

The Glorious Kingdom of Poland hears you!

King Jan III Sobieski
01-01-2008, 07:43
:book: <sigh>:dizzy2: :sweatdrop:

Ayachuco
01-01-2008, 22:29
:sad2: :idea: :computer: :huh: :wall: :stupido: :phonecall: :drama2: :hide: :Zzzz:

rinse and repeat

King Jan III Sobieski
03-11-2008, 02:19
:sad2: :idea: :computer: :huh: :wall: :stupido: :phonecall: :drama2: :hide: :Zzzz:

rinse and repeat

:smg: :hmg::smg: :hmg::smg: :hmg::smg: :hmg::smg: :hmg::smg: :hmg:

Incongruous
03-11-2008, 03:39
what is going on here?

03-11-2008, 16:25
Don't Worry All. I know I promise to bring it back this month, but my Tendtions s just going away now, so it will take me at least 1, 1 1/2 months more before I proably feel better. Don't worry, I be able to bring it back though!! :yes: :clown: :clown: :egypt:

05-19-2008, 19:09
I'm going to start up my IH again in the next 1- 1 1/2 weeks, so I'm going to open up resigation again for the factions and PM everyone to see if they still ike to play :clown: :egypt:

King Jan III Sobieski
05-20-2008, 02:46
I'll be back, so...hurry UP!!! :laugh4:

Csargo
05-20-2008, 03:47
I don't think I'll be able to continue to participate

Caius
05-21-2008, 20:24
I will continue

King Jan III Sobieski
05-25-2008, 04:12
Do you have all the previous orders and stuff. Warman?

05-25-2008, 22:03
Yup I Do :clown: :egypt:

Northnovas
05-28-2008, 02:03
I am still not sure how this game works but if we are picking up where we left off I will continue. :2thumbsup:

05-28-2008, 13:41
Great, I be sending out PM soon and have the chapter up in the next week!! :clown: :yes: :egypt: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:

Incongruous
05-29-2008, 08:10
Yep I am willing.

seireikhaan
05-29-2008, 18:42
Ehh...

Alright, I'll hop back in. Have no earthly clue what I was doing, though.

Edit: apparently I just bought Siciliy and Naples from the Spanish...:inquisitive:

05-30-2008, 13:38
Ehh...

Alright, I'll hop back in. Have no earthly clue what I was doing, though.

Edit: apparently I just bought Siciliy and Naples from the Spanish...:inquisitive:

Yup You have. Chapter should be out on Tuesday:clown: :egypt:

King Jan III Sobieski
05-31-2008, 23:10

I'd like to buy the rest of the world, please. :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4:

King Jan III Sobieski
06-07-2008, 17:31
Yup You have. Chapter should be out on Tuesday:clown: :egypt:

And another one DIES!

Why, Warman, Why??? :inquisitive::furious3::embarassed:

King Jan III Sobieski
07-09-2008, 03:06
:no: It's like every IH I join dies... I don't understand why.