PDA

View Full Version : Language in EB2

Dibran88
11-27-2007, 01:20
I have a question of my own. for the love of God why is every faction in EB1 speaking Greek. Illiriyan's never spoke Greek. neither did romans and what not. No disrespect to the team or anyone who is Greek. but either add some diversity with native tongues or make it all English in game. one of my friends was playing against a Serbian or rather Baltic faction, and they were speaking greek.?

is this a feature that hopefully will not be included in the next version.

Again no disrespect to the team or anyone who is Greek. i just believe for more accuracy, either have them speak the native tongue if you can find it, or just have it all in English ( when you click on the faction and they recite there profession).

Admetos
11-27-2007, 01:36
If a faction in game uses Greek as their language, then their voice-mod obviously hasn't been completed. And, IIRC, the Romans actually speak Latin in game, but it's been a while since I've played them. Do you really think the EB team would have every faction speaking Greek, let alone English like you've suggested.

Christianus
11-27-2007, 21:05
I would rather have everything in greek than in English...

I Am Herenow
11-27-2007, 21:34
In EB 1.0, Romans speak Latin, Celtic factions speak Gallic, and Greek/Hellenic factions speak Greek. True, some of the above are currently used as placeholders for other languages, but that will change in the future, and if you want to get a taster of what some of those changes will be, look here (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=90676).

Redmeth
11-27-2007, 21:41
Wrong thread. Nevermind.

Elthore
11-28-2007, 04:26
Re: Language in EB2...why is every faction in EB1 speaking Greek

you should learn to read before you complain about a voicemod

Bonny
11-28-2007, 17:36
I have a question of my own. for the love of God why is every faction in EB1 speaking Greek. Illiriyan's never spoke Greek. neither did romans and what not. No disrespect to the team or anyone who is Greek. but either add some diversity with native tongues or make it all English in game. one of my friends was playing against a Serbian or rather Baltic faction, and they were speaking greek.?

We currently have three voicemods in the game: Greek, Celtic and Latin, on some other we are currently working (protogermanic, phartian, punic).

After the third voicemod (the greek) had been included back in the end of 2005 we realized that all the other factions, which still had the english voices sounded a bit off. So we decided to spread our three voicemods on other factions where it seemd to be the most logical. In the End most factions got the greek voicemod for strategic command because greek was the lingua franca of that time (like in modern day english).

The illyirians are a bit different, being in close contact to greece for several centurys greek is the language to go for them ingame. Of course they might have spoken a different language but most likely many of them have spoken greek too, which is more true to the mercenarys (which the units ingame effectivley are) who fight for different masters of different origin. Greek is definately the correct language for them.

We can't translate the game voices into every languange which was spoken in that time. So we use with the best knowen ones, which we are able to translate and to record and use them for every faction. Of course we look that it fits to the faction.
when the parthian voicemod is finished all steppe factions will get it, even if the sauromatae have spoken something completely different. the pahrtian will always be more accurate than english.

Dibran88
11-28-2007, 21:21
I understand what your saying. but game aside historically the only illiriyans who spoke greek were those at the time which were souther albania or EPIR. Macedonia and the rest of Illiriya and Dardania, spoke greek when it came to polotics, but spoke an illiriyan dialect among there troops in battle. Iknow you couldnt find the language tho cause its very old. but i was just pointing out that they didnt speak greek cuz the greeks called them barbar, which was the old would for barbarian( anyone who didnt speak greek). Just pointing that out. but n e way im looking forward to this mod as i would like to see a roman era mod and medieval 2. good look with the production guys. and people above who called me stupid. hush i was giving my opinion.

Tellos Athenaios
11-29-2007, 18:28
You probably will understand that modern English is further removed from any sort of accuracy & plausibility than Attic Greek is. It is a bit like giving the UK and the USA the same Voicemod, if they were factions - when the other option is to give the USA the standard Voicemod which is Cantonese, and giving the UK a proper British accent. Heck, even in Brittain there's a wide array of accents, dialects and what not.

You also will understand that in fact Greek is a very probable language for any Illyrian to speak: Greek itself is originally an Illyrian language! The Epeirotai spoke a rather obscure form of Greek: a Dorian dialect. And the Spartiates also spoke a version of the Dorian dialect. But we use the Attic clause in the Greek Voicemod, because that was the most widely understood and spoken version of Greek there was. It is also the best preserved form of Greek, save for the Koine dialect. (Which litteraly means the Common dialect, a testimony to the status of Lingua Franca.) The Koine dialect wasn't in full swing by the mod's start and since the language can't evolve mid campaign we can't add that one in.

Also there is a hardwired part to the story: there are x culture slots, and y Voice types. This means any unit (because the Voice mod goes by unit's culture, rather than by faction's culture) can use one of the y Voice types within one Voicemod. This allows for multiple languages within one culture if you use it clevelry and consequently, or for avoiding the Clone Wars Syndrome which is what we use it against in the Greek Voicemod. Since we choose the latter we can't add in any more language or dialect than we currently do.

---------------------------------

That said, this is all the case with EB 1 series and perhaps there is a way around it in EB 2. It would leave us with the problem of redoing everything though, and so if it is going to happen then -in all likelihood- will not happen before we have actually completed the Greek Voicemod.

Vorian
11-29-2007, 18:41
I understand what your saying. but game aside historically the only illiriyans who spoke greek were those at the time which were souther albania or EPIR. Macedonia and the rest of Illiriya and Dardania, spoke greek when it came to polotics, but spoke an illiriyan dialect among there troops in battle. Iknow you couldnt find the language tho cause its very old. but i was just pointing out that they didnt speak greek cuz the greeks called them barbar, which was the old would for barbarian( anyone who didnt speak greek). Just pointing that out. but n e way im looking forward to this mod as i would like to see a roman era mod and medieval 2. good look with the production guys. and people above who called me stupid. hush i was giving my opinion.

You couldn't be more wrong but this is for another thread.
btw, "barbar" is not a greek word, "barbaros" is.

Sorry for off topic.:dizzy2: :embarassed:

Pharnakes
12-01-2007, 16:52
barbar is just the noise they made, its not really a word atall.

Mouzafphaerre
12-02-2007, 03:02
Hehe. The nominative endings (Greek -ος, -ης; Latin -VS etc.) are often cropped during importing the words into other languages. French and English are notorious instances. Turkish also has barbaros as simply barbar (through French I suppose). It seems so is Albanian. ~;)

Hellenic_Hoplite
12-02-2007, 03:15
I don't understand why anyone is complaining about this? anything is better than english with a "barbarian" or greek "accent". besides there were probably hundreds of diffrent dialects and languages at the time. I for one am impressed they were able to get greek, latin, and celtic in there, especially since I don't know any of those languages.