PDA

View Full Version : Hording!

Hax
12-14-2007, 02:59
Yes!

I was wondering, seeing how the current M2 engine already enables the fact that certain factions are Hordes (eg, the Mongols in M2, lot's of Barbarian factions in R:TW BI), could this be enabled for certain factions, such as the Saka Rauka, Pahlava, etc?

I am no historian, but I am into ancient Greece/Rome, so I'm not sure if it is very historical accurate, but just for the sake of asking.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
12-15-2007, 00:57
Here's an interesting side note about hording, apparently in M2TW if a faction has hording enabled, it can reappear through scripting even if it is wiped out.

CaesarAugustus
12-15-2007, 01:10
Here's an interesting side note about hording, apparently in M2TW if a faction has hording enabled, it can reappear through scripting even if it is wiped out.

Hmmm... would that be a useful implement for any of the factions in EB2's timeframe?

Mouzafphaerre
12-15-2007, 07:37
Sure thing! They can be scripted to reappear should their homeland provinces go rebel. ~;)

konny
12-15-2007, 12:27
Hmmm... would that be a useful implement for any of the factions in EB2's timeframe?

An example could be KH: When destroyed in Greece they can reapear on the Crimean or Sicily or in Kyrene. Even though KH is not a faction that should be able to horde in the first place.

The Nomads would certainly do: Anytime you destroy them a new horde of them will reapear on the edge of the map; might even be in a new manner, for example the Saka come back as Yuehzi.

The Celts, when expelled from Gaul, may also horde along the Danube or in Galatia.

etcpp.

Basicly this function allows for emerging factions without skipping one of the starting ones.

antisocialmunky
12-15-2007, 15:14
Would this benefit the player any other than playing a steppe faction. It would be cool if we had a kingdom in exile type thing where they reappear in a random rebel provence that was significant to them the turn they lose their last city.

V.T. Marvin
12-17-2007, 17:38
Would this benefit the player any other than playing a steppe faction. It would be cool if we had a kingdom in exile type thing where they reappear in a random rebel provence that was significant to them the turn they lose their last city.

Well, I do not think so. This "re-emerging factions" feature was already in the first MTW and it applied to AI-controlled factions only. If human player lost his/her last city, he/she just gained "game-over" message. I would guess that it will be the same in M2TW and therefore in EB 2 too.~:mecry:

gamegeek2
12-20-2007, 08:47
Respawning AIs are so annoying, should only be revolt. Hordes were (I think) created to represent the Migration Period effectively; it's similar to what happened. But the horde ability should be activated if used: It's annoying to kill every last unit only to have them spawn 5 new family members with full stacks around it. What I mean is hordes should not be so ridiculously strong and should be activated by the "Abandon" option only. Maybe 1 half-to-full stack is reasonable.

Pharnakes
12-20-2007, 14:29
Well, if this is tue, I would say that every faction should be given hording. A return to the days of the last true total war!

Patriote
12-21-2007, 04:15
I agree with gamegeek2, you've almost got stronger when becoming a horde.. In vanilla BI, I once tried a "bold" move with the Sarmatians of becoming a horde at the start of the game to move est and wipe out the faction living there... I sieged their only settlement, defeated them after a costly battle only to end up with one settlement, a depleted army and a whole horde of 5-6 stacks full of vengeful family members of the "defeated" faction that wipe me out in turn...

And if all your FM die, example during the siege of your last settlement, then you're done for! An important fact to know;p

But if it can be like a trump card for some faction facing annihilation, that could be a nice feature

cheers

konny
12-21-2007, 15:32
It should not be the case that every faction immediatly after destruction reapeas with an even stronger army on the same spot. It would allow for "new faction" of the same culture to pop up after one faction was destroyed.

For example, the Saka might reappear as the Yuehzi when destroyed under the same triggers that are now used for this invasion, but as a real faction.

The Sauromates might come back as a new wave of Asian Nomads after some time somewhere on the edge of the map, also to prevent the settled factions from controlling the steppe for to long.

KH might spawn next to any Greek town after descrution, that is controlled by the Eleutheroi with a strong enough army to take it and start a new run as this polis.

Celts can come back as any other Celtic tribe, that has not been conquered by another faction, after beeing killed. The same is for the Sweboz on free Germanic lands.

Re-hording with other factions won't make much sense.

Hax
12-23-2007, 16:35
For the Koinon Hellenon, I can imagine a stack or two on the Crimean, maybe Sinope or Syrakousai too.

Puupertti Ruma
12-23-2007, 21:24
From what I understood, this ability is not actually just about spawning a stack or two after losing all your cities. It is much more, as it allows for a faction to die, but come back alive after while. For example human player destroys romans as Epeiros and then changes his point of interest to anatolia and when all his forces are far away, the pesky romans declare indepency and *poof* reappear to map from the netherworld of hording.

Hax
12-23-2007, 22:36
I can imagine something like that. I just thought of the possibilities that would open if the player would be the AS, and annexes Baktria, and after a while (with a low happiness in the city for example) Baktria would announce itself an independent state.

Slim_Ghost
01-20-2008, 01:37
To me hording is like the AI's way of cheating. I took great efforts in depleting his army and then capturing his capital, only to find that he returned on the spot with an army 10 times larger than the ones he previously had in the begining (and all with zero upkeep too).

antisocialmunky
01-20-2008, 15:29
Lawl, the AI already cheats, skippy. They get stupid amounts of cash and auto built government buildings. Atleast with hording you can play the hording people.

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-20-2008, 20:54
To me hording is like the AI's way of cheating. I took great efforts in depleting his army and then capturing his capital, only to find that he returned on the spot with an army 10 times larger than the ones he previously had in the begining (and all with zero upkeep too).
I feel the same way. I remember back when I played BI, I would fight a battle with the last of a hording nation and if a family member managed to get away I would have to reload and refight the battle to prevent one general from spawning several huge armies.