PDA

View Full Version : Naval Units

Matt_Lane
12-15-2007, 23:11
What Naval units do people want to see in ETW.

CA have placed much emphasis upon the new seafaring conflict and it does open up a whole new area of tactics and strategy. Central to this will be the military navel units available. Even without naval battles M2TW already provides us with a naval technology tree specific to various factions. I would therefore expect the variety and detail of ETW's naval units to be even greater.:2thumbsup:

To kick off I would want to see more than multi-decked 1st and 2nd rated ships in the Western Powers fleets. Brigs, Cutters etc should be available especially early on. I think the French should access to Corvettes first and generally their's and the Dutch ships should be faster than the British ships.The 13 colonies and Danish should have easier access to gunboats and the 13 Colonies frigates should be more powerful.

Mailman653
12-16-2007, 02:03
If they want to go super simple they might only have brigs, frigates and ships of the line, but hopefully they will follow the tradition of having various units, in this case several ship classes.

Sheogorath
12-16-2007, 08:09
I'd like to see different types and capabilities between various nations naval units. There wouldnt be a lot of variation between the Great Powers naval units, except in their tendancy to favor different styles.
I'd REALLY like to see the British with cheaper, weaker naval units, since historically they werent exactly the highest quality shipbuilders in Europe (I believe that award went to the French >_>), the French with expensive, high-quality ships, etc. etc.

What'd be REALLY neat would be the ability to 'commision' ships rather than building a certain 'unit'. Choosing the number of guns, overal size, etc. etc.
But that'd be hard work and all.
Still, seeing some behemoths like the Trinidad would be fun, even if they werent particularly effective.

Matt_Lane
12-16-2007, 10:05
I'd REALLY like to see the British with cheaper, weaker naval units, since historically they werent exactly the highest quality shipbuilders in Europe (I believe that award went to the French >_>), the French with expensive, high-quality ships, etc. etc.

The French and Dutch built better ships which should be faster and more maneuverable but the British and US crews were better trained which could be represented by a greater rate of fire.

Fisherking
12-16-2007, 12:16
It would be nice to have a bomb catch or two for bombardment of shore but if it is just ship on ship I doubt we see them.

Arngrim
12-16-2007, 21:30
Both Sweden and Russia developed special archipelago fleets in the 18th century, at first ordinary galleys armed with a few frontal cannons, propably copied from the Venetians, later more specialized ships with more fire-power. For instance the Swedish archipelago frigate, with a bottom tier of artillery, and a top tier for rowers.

William Waller
01-23-2008, 12:55
Both Sweden and Russia developed special archipelago fleets in the 18th century, at first ordinary galleys armed with a few frontal cannons, propably copied from the Venetians, later more specialized ships with more fire-power. For instance the Swedish archipelago frigate, with a bottom tier of artillery, and a top tier for rowers.

How did that work?

Would you not have to ship oars before you used the guns?

Do you have a picture at of these. Sounds fasinating!

Arngrim
01-24-2008, 19:27
How did that work?

Would you not have to ship oars before you used the guns?

Do you have a picture at of these. Sounds fasinating!

I dont seem to be able to upload images, but here is a link to a Swedish site with a summary in english at the bottom. The lowermost ship is a Turuma-class archipelago frigate.

About the handling, i can only cite Oddball in Kellys Heroes; "I only drive the damn thing. I donĀ“t how it works" Or somtehing like that.

And i never drove one either... :beam:
http://axelnelson.com/skepp/fregatt.htm

Mouzafphaerre
01-24-2008, 22:19

I dont seem to be able to upload images
Try ImageShack (https://imageshack.us). Thanks for the link. ~:)