PDA

View Full Version : KotR The Kingdom of Outremer

OverKnight
12-20-2007, 16:04
The Kingdom of Outremer

https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb88/douglaslain/outremerlarge.png

The Revised Charter of the Kingdom of Outremer
1. The Kingdom of Outremer will consist of Antioch, Acre and Adana as its core territories, they cannot be given or bartered away. If they are lost, they must be reclaimed as quickly as possible. The Kingdom may also include up to three more territories, with preference given to Aleppo, Damascus and Edessa. However, no conquest is allowed of any territories belonging to an ally.

2. The Kingdom of Outremer is an integral part of the Reich. It is not a fifth House.

3. The function of the Kingdom is mainly defensive: to safeguard Jerusalem and protect the gateway to Christendom. However, conquest is permitted against heathens and schismatics as long as it does not endanger the defense of Jerusalem. If a Pope assumes power who excommunicates the Reich, Jerusalem may be taken, if needed, as part of his removal, but it must be immediately donated back to the Church upon reconciliation.

4. The Kingdom will be overseen by a Viceroy of Outremer, who will be selected by the Emperor from among the current Crusaders. A Viceroy is appointed by the Emperor at each regular Diet Session. Viceroys may be reappointed. The Viceroy will renounce all loyalties to his House for the duration of his appointment. The Viceroy of Outremer is permitted to resign, if the Emperor is willing to accept the resignation, upon which a new Viceroy is appointed by the Emperor. If the Viceroy of Outremer is deemed incapable of his assignment, he may be impeached by the Emperor and two Dukes, by the Prince and three Dukes, or by the agreement of all four Dukes. Upon removal, the Emperor will appoint a new Viceroy.

5. The Viceroy will command an Army, equivalent to a Household Army with the Viceroy assuming the role of “Duke”. If the Kingdom is larger than or equal to three territories, a second such Army will be placed at his disposal. He may delegate the day to day command of the Army or Armies to other Generals.

6. Outremer’s provinces will be governed by Crusader Counts, except for the designated capital, which is the personal domain of the Viceroy. The Crusader Counts are appointed by the Viceroy and serve at his discretion. They will gain +1 influence, but only if they are not already a Count in their Duchy, and only for the duration of their appointment. The cap of 6 influence for all but the Emperor remains. If any County is left unassigned, the Viceroy will set the build queue for it.

7. Both the Viceroy and the Crusading Counts must be physically located outside Europe for the duration of their appointments.

8. All four Houses of the Reich have a stake in the Kingdom. While the loss of many of the original Outremer Counties currently negates apportionment by House, assignment of Counties will ensure that each Duchy is represented by a Crusader Count if one is present. All efforts will be made to assign a Swabian to Acre and a Bavarian to Adana. Once there are two newly acquired territories, they will be governed by representatives of Franconia and Austria. While historical precedents will be respected, priority will be given to Crusaders who are in Outremer.

9. The Viceroy of Outremer is allowed to propose two pieces of legislation per Diet Session related to Outremer. Prior to being tabled in the Diet, these must be seconded by two Crusaders, or if there is less than two Crusaders, one will suffice.

OOC: The Viceroy will have +2 influence as presently given to the King. All references in the Reich's Charter to the King of Outremer are to be changed to the Viceroy of Outremer.

Provinces of Outremer:
Acre - Citadel
Adana - Citadel
Antioch - Huge City (Capital)

Crusaders:
Matthias Steffen - OverKnight (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/member.php?u=21979) - Viceroy of Outremer
Andreas von Salzgitter - Zim (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/member.php?u=22485) - Crusader Count of Acre

Rulers of Outremer:
Kings
1200 to 1210 - Kaiser Henry (Informal)
1210 to 1232 - Otto von Kassel (1210-1220 Informal)
1232 to 1276 - Conrad Salier
1276 to 1280 - Prinz Elberhard (Steward)
1280 to 1324 - Jan von Hamburg
1324 to 1332 - Kaiser Elberhard
1332 to 1340 - Matthias Steffen
Viceroys
1340 --------- Matthias Steffen

OverKnight
12-21-2007, 05:15
Matthias enters the new Crusader Chambers at Acre.

Andreas, I know you wish to stay with the army, but it is important that you are in Acre to command the garrison while I stay with the army to the north.

I again aim to goad the Greeks into an attack. There is risk involved with this plan however, and it would be for the best to have a Crusader in Acre in case the worst happens. I will not gamble the entire fate of Outremer on one throw of the dice.

Matthias smiles wryly.

Just the majority of the Kingdom's soldiers, God help me.

If the plan works, it will bring the day you have your own field command much closer.

Thoughts?

Zim
12-21-2007, 06:36
Andreas stands, looking unhappy but determined.

You are right, of course, Ki...Viceroy Matthias. It is better to have Outremer's other Noble protecting Acre. I shall set up a defense there as best as I can and send up the troops you request. I wish you luck against the Greeks and hope before long to be leading troops against them myself.

OverKnight
12-26-2007, 14:55
Matthias enters the Chambers, covered in dust and blood.

The Greeks fell for it, Count Andreas. They thought that my army, with many of the troops here in Antioch, was ripe for attack. Just as we planned.

Strategos Valsamon sought to force the Iron Bridge, and he met the same fate as all the other swine who have thrown themselves against it.

https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb88/douglaslain/airondeploy.jpg
https://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb88/douglaslain/xironvic.jpg

The Basileus refused an offer for ransom, even though I had captured his General. A pity, the Reich could have used those 8,000 florins. Since he wasn't willing to pay, I wasn't going to send all of Valsamon back to Constantinople, just his head.

Matthias smiles coldly.

The rest of him was dumped into the Orontes, along with his men. The few survivors will not trouble us again.

I look forward to the new year.

Any thoughts on how we should proceed Andreas?

Zim
12-27-2007, 05:46
Hmmm, I may have to have a look at our maps. Are there any nearby Byzantines armies? If we have the forces perhaps we could take back another city for Outremer, Perhaps Adana or Nikosia?

Your plan for me to take a small force and assault Antioch before the Byzantines could respond worked flawlessly, as did your subsequent sitting on the Iron Bridge with a smaller force than usual to bait them into seeking their revenge. I would be inclined to trust your instinct, Viceroy Matthias.

Zim
12-27-2007, 06:25
Andreas stands after poring over some of Outremer's charts and maps.

Alright, although our position is much improved, there are a few possible difficulties. Several large Byzantine armies still roam around our position. Two Turkish ones do as well, and may attack English Damascus or continue past it to go after Acre.

On the other hand, the Greeks are unlikely to make it past the Iron Bridge. What few well trained armies they had have been destroyed, leaving larger but weaker, more poorly trained forces. Adana could be reached and taken this very season, but has a garrison powerful enough to put up a fight. If we had a blank check from the Kaiser I'd say we go for it, but as is it would be hard to protect Adana and Antioch after absorbing losses from the taking of the former.

I don't like it, but perhaps we should try to goad at least one more Greek army to attack us at the Bridge, then consider offensive options. If things continue to go well financially for the Reich, we may be able to hire troops soon.

OverKnight
12-27-2007, 06:47
Some good ideas Andreas, I will have a look at the latest reports and see what would be the best to follow.

OverKnight
12-27-2007, 14:55
Matthias reenters the Chambers and acts a bit sheepish when he spots Andreas.

Well, Count Andreas, you know by now which option I chose. I apologize for the suddenness of the move, but I had an epiphany.

Now, what do we do now?

My initial thoughts are to send most of the men back to you next year and keep a small raiding force in Adana. Enough men, including the cannon, to garrison the Citadel and raid Iconium and Caesarea. You will have the majority of the army to garrison Antioch, hold the east, and respond to any Greek or Turk incursions.

According to the new charter, we're entitled to have a second Army of Outremer now that we have three settlements, but I will refrain from pushing that point, since finances are tight. We will need reinforcement if the Greek push at us again, or the Turks make a move on Jerusalem or the English, but it can wait a few years.

Thoughts?

Zim
12-28-2007, 02:17
Andreas stands, beaming.

Congratulations, Viceroy Matthias! That was a great victory, far beyond my one over the small garrison of Antioch. Outremer will soon be back to its former strength! To think that the situation looked so hopeless a scant few years back when I first arrived, and in that time you have turned things completely around.

I agree with your idea. Raiding attacks on Caesara and Iconium would provide a chance to gain florins for Outremer and weaken the Greeks. Meanwhile, I could guard the Iron Bridge and move in if a large army sieges Adana. I am uncomfortable in this teeming city anyway, and have heard rumors of plague coming.

If we can get a second army of Outremer I would be honored if you would let me lead it to take Nikosia from the Greeks. I know I sound like a broken record on the matter, but with an edict to take it I think it would be invaluable. In the meantime we can continue to bleed the Greeks and consolidate Outremer. I will try to convince the Chancellor, or his steward Kaiser Elberhard, to send at least enough money to finish repairing buildings here and hire some militia to garrison Antioch and help guard the Iron Bridge.

OverKnight
12-28-2007, 04:34
Matthias speaks.

The move on Nicosia will have to be delayed until we have a few ships that can shuttle an army to Cyprus in a few round trips. Also, according to the last report I had a few years ago, there is a large army on the island. I would prefer to have confirmation on this before sending over any men. We will most likley need a reinforced army to take the place.

Hence my proposal for the raids, I hope this will provide enough money to finance our attack on Cyprus. Though I also wouldn't mind keeping Caesarea, as I mentioned in the Diet.

You administrative skills are needed in Antioch, but I feel guilty for not having you in the field more. I cannot give you an assault on Nicosia yet, but we can switch places this year. I can come to Antioch, you can come to Adana, have your bodyguards upgraded by the Swordsmith here, and then lead the raids starting next year. I would target Iconium first as it is the richer settlement.

Granted, I am not a skilled governor, taxes would have to be set to low in Antioch, but it would give you an oppurtunity to lead in the field again, one you deserve.

I will leave the decision to you, what say you?

Zim
12-28-2007, 06:46
I would be honored to lead some raiding attacks on nearby settlements. That said, it is true that the people of Antioch seem to find my yoke light, even if in reality I am taxing them heavily. I don't pretend to understand it. I will base my decision on the answer to one question. Which is better for Outremer, me governing Antioch or leading the raids? As much as I want to lead armies, I will not seek glory at the expense of the Kingdom.

OverKnight
12-28-2007, 07:09
The Reich will lose a small amount of money from the switch in governors. However, I do not see this as an obstacle. The experience you will gain from these battles as a commander will increase your value to the Reich and Outremer, negating any paltry loss of florins.

Again, it is your decision.

Zim
12-28-2007, 08:10
In that case, I gladly accept your offer, and will prepare for a raid on Iconium this next season.

OverKnight
12-28-2007, 11:00
Upon further review, Iconium is over 6 years march from Adana, while Caesarea is 4 years.

Considering the strong Byzantine armies in the east, we may have to satisfy ourselves with raiding Caesarea.

I'll write to the Kaiser and see if he'll go for the idea.

OverKnight
12-28-2007, 12:42
Matthias reenters the chambers holding a letter. He shakes his head.

Well, after all that, we're not allowed to go after settlements unless specifically called for by an Edict, even if just for a raid.

Matthias smiles wryly.

The rule of law and all that. I apologize, during the Cataclysm, I became used to thinking and acting in a certain way without the benefit of central authority.

Well, all that's left is Cyprus, and until the acting Chancellor orders us some boats, we're stuck where we are. Of course, we could go after Edessa, but that would have little benefit for much risk. We'd share more of a border with the Turks and the Greeks seem to have massed their armies near there. The only decent road to the city is through English territory, and we don't have military access.

Matthias sighs.

So, how do we keep up pressure on the Greeks? Or perhaps we need a few years to rest and rearm? For now, I'll stay at Adana and you at Antioch, if you don't object. We need to get both settlements up and running fully. I will still send part of the army to you next year, as a city needs more of a garrison than a castle.

We'll keep an eye on the Turks and Greeks and respond as needed.

Zim
12-29-2007, 08:57
I guess we should just consolidate for now then. For the time being, we can order more troops as the Reich recovers economically, and take out any lone Byzantines armies we see. Once we have a few ships and more soldiers, I can take a force over to take Nikosia. Perhaps we could get a spy there to check out the situation first. Assuming no more of those Greke superarmies are there, then I could probably take the island with the cannons, two units of heavy cav, and a decent number of spearmen, even if some are militia.

Have you heard the rumors about the Kaiser? It seems Kaiser Elberhard fell in battle. If so, it was a good death, befitting our ruler.

OverKnight
12-29-2007, 22:34
Matthias considers the reports.

Getting a spy or simply sending a ship over to Cyprus should be a priority. We can see what awaits us on the island and plan a move.

Your request for Militia for Antioch is a good idea. If we can garrison the city with free upkeep units, then we can tax more and free up other units for field duty. With a few reinforcements and addition of some missile troops, the professional and crusade forces we have now could serve to form two field armies. Depending on what we find on Cyprus and what the Greeks will send at us next, these two armies could swap units or unite to face a dire threat.

The way I see it, Outremer is now in the form of a T. The base, Acre, is relatively secure, while Adana is the bulwark of the Western and Northern approaches if the Greeks reinforce from Anatolia. Antioch protects the Eastern flank, if the Greeks send in those armies from around Edessa.

If either is besieged, the other settlement can send in troops to attack from the threat from the rear or flank. If available we should use the terrain or bridges to fight at a defensive advantage.

The wild card is the Turks, but I hope they and the Egyptians keep fighting each other. I'm glad to see the Saracens are as fractious as the Catholics. Jerusalem is strongly garrisoned and would only be threatened if the Pope is too aggressive. We'll monitor the situation and reevaluate if it changes.

Thoughts?

Zim
12-30-2007, 01:36
There's only one other major strategic concern I can think of, Viceroy. That is this plague we're hearing about. If the rumors are true, it will spread across a wide area. In that event, I think we should take most of our professional troops out of Antioch and Adana, so they are not contaminated. You can take a larger force in whatever the best defensive position in the Adana area, and I'll camp at the Iron Bridge with a smaller force.

In this situation, we may have to wait the passing of the plague out, inflicting whatever damage we can on the Greeks in the meantime. I'll still take Cyprus if we can get a few ships and spy out the area. The distance between the island and Antioch is so short a small fleet could ferry many troops in one season. With Nikosia, Adana, and Acre, we'll have a strong system of castles in Outremer, and Nikosia will be a good staging area to retake any of the three should things go bad.

OverKnight
12-30-2007, 18:31
The year 1346 is upon us. The Greeks have an army under Mysterikos on the bridge between Edessa and Aleppo. It could reach Antioch this turn. This is the only direct threat to Outremer. Personally, I'd like to draw that army into an attack on Antioch, we could then both move against it in a pincer movement.

The elite Turk army is east of Jerusalem, but seeing as how they are not at war with the Papacy and left Damascus untouched, I'm assuming they're heading toward the Egyptians. May the heathens wipe each other out.

I believe our primary goal should be to rest and refit. Antioch should set tax levels to high and recruit some militia. I believe I should transfer some fully manned units to Antioch from Adana, but I must keep some men here to keep the Citadel from rioting in case I have to leave.

I would also like to send the depleted unit of Zweihanders north to rearm at Adana, though this will take a few years. I am considering sending the Teutons south to rearm at their Chapter House in Acre. But they are currently our only cavalry unit that is even close to full strength at 65%. We have experienced troops, but the Crusader units are finite, and the rest need to be reinforced.

While in Adana, I'd like to build some watchtowers on the frontier to the north and west. Keep an eye out for Greek attacks from that quarter and keep an eye on Iconium and Caesarea. Edit: Of course if I build a watchtower on the coast south east of Adana, we'll be able to see what's happening on Cyprus without sending a ship or spy, perhaps that should be the first priority.

As for this rumored plague, if it strikes Outremer, then we'll make plans. May God preserve us.

Andreas, your thoughts? I'd like to get them before passing on our requests to the Imperial Secretariat.

_Tristan_
12-30-2007, 18:38
An emissary arrives in Outremer bearing a letter from France.

Viceroy Matthias,

I thank you for the great honour you did me in requesting my presence by your side in Outremer.

However, I cannot accept at this time as Swabia faces its darkest hour and I have some scores to settle with my former countrymen.

If your offer is still standing in a few years, I'll be glad to join you in Outremer.

Hugo de Cervole

Zim
12-30-2007, 20:38
Viceroy Matthias, I agree that building watchtowers is a number one priority. THe more advance notice we have of Greek advances, the better we can prepare for them. Hopefully now that the Reich is again swimming in money (OOC: some 20,000 profit per turn) our troops requests can be met.

I am worried that if we take that army in a pincer movement at Antioch's walls it would leave you too far awar from Adana to return in a single season. Adana is an important impediment to Greek advances from Anatolia. Also the Great Cross and Cannons could not make it there in a single season. However, they can reach the Iron Bridge.

If I would be allowed, I would like to hold the Iron Bridge with a little more than a half stack of infantry, crossbowmen, and the cannons. I could goad Mysterikos into an attack on the bridge. If he moves through English territory to Antioch instead, you could join me with more troops from Adana and we could smash him against the walls of Antioch.

Does this sound like a good idea, Viceroy?

OverKnight
12-31-2007, 19:57
OOC: The turn moved more quickly than I anticipated, and I didn't get my orders in. My apologies, I was visiting relatives the last day. We'll see what 1148 brings.

OverKnight
01-07-2008, 16:11
A message is able to make it through to Antioch.

Count Andreas,

A new year is upon us. My initial impulse is to sally against the Byzantines again to bleed them. If they then choose to assault the walls then so be it. I'd rather deal with that army behind fortifications than meet it in the field. Perhaps that is not chivalrous, or particularly gallant, of me, but we're outnumbered. I'll take what advantages we have.

While it would be possible to have you bring your men over to assist, there is one Greek army within a year's march of Antioch, and two within relative striking distance. I feel the situation is in hand over here, and I would not want us to over commit on one front or another.

Thoughts?

Also, since you are free to leave Antioch, do you wish to stay in the plagued city or perhaps seeks a defensive postion at the Iron Bridge?

Matthias

Zim
01-08-2008, 00:07
I will take a look at our maps and assess the situation. Since you are sure of your ability to hold Adana, and bleed the Greeks through sallies, my current inclination is to hold a position on the Iron Bridge and await reinforcements from Acre. Antioch has come down with the accursed plague anyway, and the open air might do me good. Once the army is up to strength and Adana free maybe one of use can isolate and destroy some of those Greek armies in the field.

Should you ever wish my aid to relieve the siege, you need only say the word and I'll march to Adana.

deguerra
01-08-2008, 00:29
A letter:

Greetings Crusaders,

I, Ludwig von Bohmen, would officially like to express interest in coming to Outremer to spread the word of God and fight those who oppose His Kingdom of Heaven. I have always felt close to the Lord, but having become knighted and now seeing the dreadful punishment of the plague ravish our lands, I feel the need to make repentance for my sins and that of the Empire, as well as fullfill my dream of seeing the Outremer.

Obviously, I cannot do this now. Flanders is dear to my heart, and I will not leave on "personal" journeys until I am sure that it is safe, united, and in good hands. I hope to see this happen soon, but it may take some time yet.

However, I wanted to let you know of this now, so that I have the chance to make my goal official and so that you may decide on what you would have me do to help.

God be with you,

Ludwig

OverKnight
01-08-2008, 08:41
Another message arrives.

Andreas,

I wish other Duchies shared Swabia's religious fervor, particularly my own.

I will sally once I have access to the latest reports. It seems you've already given your orders to the Chancellor. Pick the units you will take with you well.

While we could use reinforcements for our infantry, we're more in need of Cavalry and Crossbowmen. Once we have those, we'll be able to field two armies that meet the minimum HA standards. Though we won't have much left for garrisons. Still Rome wasn't built in a day, and we must balance our needs with that of the Reich at large.

Though some ships would be nice.

Matthias

OverKnight
01-13-2008, 14:24
A messenger arrives with less difficulty this time.

The Greek army besieging Adana has been destroyed. However, another army, more powerful than the last, is within a year's march of Adana. Your army and Antioch seem in the clear, at least for now.

The way I see it, your options remain unchanged. I would suggest you stay out of Antioch, and there are no suitable targets for raiding. Of course, I would welcome any suggestions you might have.

As for me, I tire of sitting in a plague ravaged Citadel. I am thinking of marching north, leaving a small garrison in Adana and blocking both mountain passes that the Greeks would have to pass through to get to Adana. If I'm lucky, I can goad them into an attack and bleed them like I did in the south. At worst, I would end up back in Adana.

On another note, considering the financial state of the Reich and that any new troops raised would be afflicted with the plague, losing men even before they enter combat, I suggest we cease all recruitment until the plague passes.

Thoughts?

Zim
01-14-2008, 04:59
Viceroy Matthias reaches a letter in Adana.

I wish you luck, Viceroy. It does indeed seem better to find favorable ground from which to fight the Greeks north of Adana. Waiting out sieges is effective, but wasteful of time and income, while field battles are much quicker and more decisive.

The second Army of Outremer is almost fully operational, and even more reinforcements are on their way, in the form of two units of heavy cavalry and one of crossbowmen. I agree that recruitment should be put on hold for now, unless the situation grows desperate. If you are forced to Adana, we can surely crush them together at the walls.

No Greek army can reach Antioch this turn. I could march south to reach reinforcements from Acre, then return to the Iron Bridge next season, or I could take the Chancellor's suggestion. He wishes that I march northesat to block some mountain passes so that the Greeks to the east would have to go through me or march through English territory to come at Antioch. I think he hopes that the English will get involved in a war with the Greeks, but I worry that our allies would be unable to fight them off, forcing me to come to their aid or earn the enmity of our closest (only?) allies. I'd rather stay near or on the Iron Bridge, where I can just as easily repel Greek armies and also reinforce Adana more easily if they press you there.

What say you, Viceroy?

OverKnight
01-14-2008, 05:17
We're still outnumbered, so I prefer if we stuck close to our territories.

I agree with many of the Chancellor's ideas, but he is prone to over-aggression. I personally know that the Iron Bridge is a wonderful site to oversee the approaches to Antioch and still be in range of Adana, best that you stay there.

To be honest, if Adana wasn't afflicted, I would stay there, reinforce and await the Greeks, but that is not to be.

I'll summarise this and send it off to the Chancellor.

Cecil XIX
01-14-2008, 22:53
Waiting out sieges is effective, but wasteful of time and income,

OOC: Siege and the Plague both eliminate income from trade. Therefore, if a settlement has the plague it's income will not suffer from being besieged.

OverKnight
01-14-2008, 23:04
OOC: I didn't know that, embarrassingly enough, I've never played a game of TW that got this far. I usually fall victim to boredom or victory.

Still, I want to get the hell out of Adana yet retain the ability to retreat there if faced with destruction, hence putting Matt between the Greeks and the Citadel.

OverKnight
01-19-2008, 15:34
Andreas,

I have looked at the latest reports. It seems the Greeks are seeking to flank me rather than attack. They are fools, the men they possess could force me to retreat to Adana, yet they waste their time dancing about. Not that I mind. With the worst of the plague behind us, the longer we can keep ourselves and our men out of our settlements, the better.

At this time, I think we should hold our positions. My move to block both passes to Adana has confused the Greeks. Moving to another position, or bringing you up to reinforce me might be seen as an invitation to attack. If they wish to dance, let the fools muck about. (OOC: I think wonky pathfinding might be the cause, but that's just a guess.)

So I will hold where I am, my suggestion to you is to recieve the rest of the reinforcements and stay near the Iron Bridge. The forces near Edessa have moved north it seems, but it's still a good position to threaten them while keeping close to Adana and Antioch.

Unfortunately untill the plague passes and we can get uninfected reinforcements, the move on Cyprus will have to be delayed. We have a few ships now, but not enough men to move against the island and the large army there and defend the north.

Of course, if you have an alternate plan, I wish to hear it. A static defense is a wise course of action at the moment, but it rankles me to cede the initiative to the enemy.

Matthias

AussieGiant
01-20-2008, 16:39
A letter arrives from the Chancellor.

My Lords I've received word of your intentions. I'm going to follow your last instructions Viceroy.

Are you sure you do not want any of the Teuton's Viceroy?

Zim
01-21-2008, 09:05
I have been thinking, and you are correct that it's best to maintain the defense for now, at least until this damnable plague has passed.

I did have one thought, though. After the plague has passed, I wonder if I can borrow a unit of cannons (or have on recruited). If I took a small force to Cyprus, it could be taken before the large army nearby could get to it, and the space between the island and Antioch is short enough we could ferry some extra troops over. A few crossbows and some hired mercs on the island, and I could take out the large army in a few sallies.

Of course, this would only work if the Greeks keep retreating from Outremer. I could not leave Antioch in jeapordy.

What say you Viceroy?

OverKnight
01-21-2008, 11:25
That could work, but what would be the plan for dealing with the large army southwest of Nicosia?

As for cannons, one of my last acts as Chancellor was building a Royal Armory at Adana. It still survives, so you would be welcome to my cannons or we could have some Basilisks cast.

Zim
01-21-2008, 11:50
Assuming even a smalliish force, including crossbowmen and some infantry, could be ferried to Nikosia, I could easily take out the army in a few sallies, or weaken them and await a siege. Nikosia is a citadel if I recall, and a small force could easily take out a Greek army on its walls.

Of course, this is all speculation. Antioch would have to be free of immediate threat, since it would take time to ris the island of that army. Assuming such an occurence, I might be able to land with a much larger force.

This waiting infuriates me, so I pass the time by planning future offensives, even if they apply to situations that will occur only in my head.

OverKnight
01-22-2008, 14:44
Andreas,

Looking at the latest reports, I am pleased to note that God has seen fit to lift the plague from Adana and Acre. However, our armies remain infected, if we reenter those settlements we will bring the sickness back with us.

Strategically, our situation remains unchanged. I'm beginning to think the Greeks have gone cowardly. They have the finest armies in the world, and they do nothing with them.

I have nothing new to suggest, we hold where we are. Once the plague is completely gone, we can reinforce and then set you up with an expeditionary force to take Cyprus. This might change if they move close to both Antioch and Adana. The downside of your plan is that it would take at least six (three turns) years to seize Nicosia and sucker the Greeks into an assault. If the Greeks made a coordinated move from the east and west during that time, I would be hard pressed to respond to both.

Still, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Thoughts?

Zim
01-23-2008, 21:06
That is wise counsel, Viceroy. The only other thing that concerns me is I've just realized how close to the next Diet we are. It is sad to see my first edict expire. I wonder, if circumstances continue to prevent me from taking Nikosia, if I will be thought of as like that old Roman Senator who ended every session with the statement that Carthage must be destroyed.

Idle thoughts, of course. I will propose the same edict next Diet and we will likely take the castle soon.

OverKnight
01-30-2008, 00:29
Count Andreas,

Given the circumstances of the plague and the elite armies we faced, I doubt anyone will question your bravery.

As for Nicosia, we will simply repropose the edict during the next session.

Speaking of the next session, do you have ideas for legislation?

My own include Nicosia and one other topic. I would like to propose that we liberate Edessa from the Greeks. However, instead of reclaiming it for the Reich, I suggest we give it over to the English to defend in exchange for military access. I understand that this might anger some, due to the city's Crusader tradition, but the English can defend it better than we can. With Greek strength as it is, we must reduce their avenues of approach to Outremer. Taking Nicosia and Edessa would force the Greeks to attack us through the Taurus mountains, something they seem reluctant to do. We would grow stronger as they grow weaker.

Back to this year, my reports indicate that your army is still plagued. Unfortunately this means we must keep it isolated, and your troops won't be able to rearm at Adana for now.

My army is in the clear, I will begin to rearm and we will bring your army up to full strength when we can.

Thoughts?

Zim
02-01-2008, 00:07
Viceroy,
You are correct in that my army still suffers sporadic outbreaks of the plague, although the disease seems to have just about run its course. I look forward to rearming my troops as soon as possible.

The Chancellor has been kind enough to have recruited for me a powerful army, and it seems a shame that it has not been blooded. If such an edict calling for the capture of Edessa can be passed, I would gladly lead the assault. I agree giving it to the English would be wise, but we we will have to sound out the idea before presenting it as it could anger some. I am forced to admit my family disapproves of crusading and I did not hear stories of Outremer as a child. Thus I am ignorant of which House has traditionally been responsible for Outremer. Perhaps we could speak with them first, telling them our proposal and which new Outremer territory they would get in its stead?

Even if we cannot give Edessa to our allies, it may be worth keeping since it would expand our territory more than our borders. That is, Greek armies would have to go through Edessa's land or Adana's to reach Antioch and the rest of Outremer. The only negative is that Edessa is easily defendable from the North but not the East.

The capture of Nikosia is the main idea for an edict that I have for the moment, but I will think over the issue.

OverKnight
02-01-2008, 18:37
Edessa was the last territory added to Outremer. It did not fall under the purview of any of the four Houses, it was a territory that could be assigned to any Crusader by the King.

While it would be tempting to keep Edessa if it is reclaimed, it would be difficult to defend it. Our only access to the settlement that does not take us through English land is through rough territory without a road. We do not have a treaty of military access with the English. These two factors would make it difficult to defend the city against the Greeks or other threats, such as the Turks, while keeping forces in a central place to counter other attacks.

By taking Nicosia and Edessa, my goal is to leave us with one front to defend against the Greeks. Keeping Edessa, rather than transferring it to the English, would defeat this.

Once we have secured our flanks, the task of defending Outremer will become much easier, and if succesful, we will be able to more easily acquire other lands to enlarge the Kingdom.

Zim
02-02-2008, 13:41
I understand, I just feared some Duchy would resent Edessa being given away, but if it belongs to none...

England has been a worthy partner in Outremer, if only for their managing to intimidate the Greeks into not gng through their territory. I see great wisdom in gifting them Edessa.

OverKnight
02-05-2008, 14:39
Count Andreas,

A new Diet session is upon us. Here are my two proposals concerning Outremer.

Edict 15.x: Nicosia is to be taken from the Greeks.

Edict 15.x: Edessa is to be taken from the Greeks. The city will then be transferred to English rule. Gaining military access from the English is recommended as part of the transfer, but the Chancellor is instructed to accept any deal, even a donation, to accomplish the Edict.

I believe we have already discussed these matters, but if you have any suggestions feel free to comment. If you second the Edicts, I will propose them in the Diet.

Edit: I am also considering an edict authorizing attacks on Iconium and Caesarea. I am not convinced that the next term will provide us with an oppurtunity to do so, but I would like to have the option.

Zim
02-06-2008, 01:22
Those are fine edicts, Viceroy. If possible I would like to introduce the edict to take Nikosia. Even if we are unable to take Iconium and Caesara, and edict concerning them might provide some precedent come next diet, as well as open our options during this coming Chancellorship.

Your relation Duke Steffen has introduced an edict calling for the taking of Edessa, among other settlements, but not authorizing its handover to the English.

With this cursed plague over I hope we can take the fight to the Greeks soon. As honored as I am by having had the opportunity to free and then protect Antioch, I sometimes feel as if I'd like a chance to prove myself leading a battle against a real Greek army.

OverKnight
02-06-2008, 05:59
My apologies Count Andreas, but I have already proposed the Nicosia edict as one of the Outremer Edicts. I didn't see you in the Diet, and I wanted to get them out for public debate as soon as possible, considering this is already the second day of the session.

However, this does leave you with your own Edict to propose if you wish.

OverKnight
02-08-2008, 10:36
Andreas, I will be posting build queues for Adana and Antioch and army orders soon. Please post a queue for Acre.

I believe Nicosia will be our first priority. I would like to send you with a reinforced army to Cyprus to destroy the Greek field army and besiege Nicosia. What forces do you need for the operation?

I will stay behind and keep an eye on the mainland, it seems the Greek are aiming for another push on Adana.

Zim
02-08-2008, 11:14
I have submitted a build queue for Acre.

I will gladly set sail for Nikosia soon but am somewhat worried about the wolves closing in around us. Between Turkish armies coming from the north and Greek armies, particularly around Edessa, there are some 5-6 armies within range of us, each twice as large as my own. They could close in, set to fighting eachother, or dance around as they have been. On my part I think the Greeks at least cowardly and likely to do nothing unless they see an opening. The Turks I'm not so sure about.

Although my army has not been affected overly by the plague, it is not large. Aside from a bit under a half stack of nearly full strength units, I have a crossbow unit composed of only 1 soldier, and a far undersized unit each of dismounted knights and armoured sergeants. If these were to be retrained and added to by one or two units of spearmen, I would have a good chacne of taking out that field army on Cyprus. How hard of a battle it would be would depend on what kind of units are in that Greek army. I could take Nikosia much faster given a unit of Basilisks from Adana, or first chase down the field army and then siege Nikosia the old fashioned way.

There are also two units of Turkopoles in the area I wouldn't mind recruiting (with 1 or 2 spearmen this would give me around 2/3 or 3/4 of a stack. I should also move a unit of dismounted crusader knights out of my army or I face a risk of breaking the rules on the number of knights in a single army...I think).

OverKnight
02-08-2008, 11:23
Andreas,

True there are armies threatening Adana. Once my army is reinforced with footmen and a bit more cavalry, I'll be able to handle all comers. At worst I will take shelter in Adana.

Feel free to coordinate with the Chancellor concering your manpower needs, and the timing of your assault.

If needed, I can transfer my cannon to you, or have a Basilisk built here at Adana.

The defense of Outremer is our first priority. We'll take a few years to reinforce, and then see if an assault on Cyprus can be launched. Though I do not doubt there will always be an element of risk whenever we choose to attack.

OverKnight
02-09-2008, 15:51
Andreas,

I am sorely tempted to strike at Captain Ermanes west of Adana, but it would be a bloody battle. I have enough crossbowmen, but not enough spearmen to hold a cavalry charge effectively.

However, it appears the Turks, after a long absence, wish to strike at us. While I wish the Greeks and Turks would kill each other, my guess is one of them will besiege Adana, while the other will try to make their way to you on the Iron Bridge. I can handle a sally easily, and they won't reach you this year, but they will end up between us.

In your opinion, given the men you have, can you hold the bridge against one of those armies while keeping your own intact?

If not I can attack Ermanes and then fall back to Adana.

Thoughts?

Zim
02-13-2008, 02:07
I could hold the Iron Bridge against any of the armies nearby. Indeed, I am tempted to strike out at the army in front of me, which cowardly stopped just short of the Iron Bridge. However, they are elite troops, with more of those damnable horsearchers and heavy cavalry. Losses would be too great if I attacked. I will receive some mounted crossbowmen, but not until next season. I suppose for now I will have to hold the bridge.

OverKnight
02-13-2008, 03:09
Then Godspeed against the Greeks, Count Andreas. I have found the Iron Bridge to be an excellent defensive position. Be careful, however, if the greeks have foot archers, they can reach the opposite end of the bridge.

If the Greeks do not cross, my initial impulse would be to catch them between our armies and destroy them.

We shall see what happens.

Zim
02-14-2008, 06:25
Viceroy, the army that threatened me cowardly turned away to besiege Adana rather than risk a fight on the Iron Bridge, even with higher quality troops than I have. Shall I crush them against the walls of Adana, Start the move to Cyprus as reccommended by the Chancellor, or stay on the Bridge?

OverKnight
02-14-2008, 07:03
I can handle the Greeks. Yet more bodies to throw into the midden heap developing outside Adana.

This might be our best shot at Cyprus for a few years, the Turks and Greeks seem occupied with each other or Adana, and the forces near Edessa don't seem to be moving. (OOC: I haven't looked at the new save yet, I'm at work, just playing the odds. :laugh4: )

You have my blessing to attack Cyprus, unless you have any objections?

Zim
02-14-2008, 07:05
I can start immediately, although it might be better to wait until after you sally, so that the cannons can come with me.

OverKnight
02-14-2008, 07:11
Yes, Let me sally first. I apologize if this delays your move. (OOC: I can do this in 8 hours once I'm home.)

Zim
02-14-2008, 07:42
I wish you luck, Viceroy.

OOC: :yes: That's fine, Ramses' suggestion made it sound as if the best I could do this turn is move to port to prepare to shuttle troops the next. Probably a good idea, since I may not have enough move to get my whole army across this turn, and splitting could lead to the unled half rebelling.

Zim
02-17-2008, 19:40
Viceroy, Nikosia has been taken intact, although I will still have to deal with the Greek field army on Cyprus. It is an excellent citadel, capable of upgrading our soldiers up to plate armor, and training virtually any unit type but the more advanced cannons. More interestingly, some of the Greek engineers that were captured have told me that they have developed a smaller firearm suitable for cavalry units. I think we should take advantage of this technology.

https://img179.imageshack.us/img179/2245/image001py1.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

OverKnight
02-17-2008, 20:17
Andreas, congratulations on seizing Nicosia!

The Reiters look impressive, but for now I would suggest recruiting infantry as the Chancellor left you with, due to circumstances, an unorthodox force.

Cyprus needs to be cleared of the Greeks as soon as possible. I need you back on the mainland.

OOC: I'm leaving Wednesday night, so we need an active general to fight the hordes. I'd suggest that you take up the defense of the area around Adana, while Matthias is sent to the Iron Bridge/Antioch.

Thoughts?

Zim
02-17-2008, 20:20
OOC: I should have attacked the army on Cyprus while I had a chance. Although I occupied Nikosia (which usually means some recruitment pool remaining) I don't think I can get new troops there. I may have to take out that Byzantine army with my rather odd force. Too bad their army is so cavalry heavy (I think) or I could quickly eliminate their cav then use my own to wipe out their infantry.

OverKnight
03-01-2008, 23:46
Much has happened in my absence. Caesarea and Nicosia have been seized.

Of course this will require a change of strategy.

Andreas, I suggest you hold at Adana, while I bring up my men close to the Citadel. It seems those Greeks around Edessa will never move, and the greatest threat comes from the west.

After this year, we will be in a postion to hold Adana and Caesarea against the newest Greek hordes. A move on Iconium will have to wait until they've been bleed a bit.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Zim
03-04-2008, 04:15
The Chancellor seems to think that I should hold Caesara against the Greeks instead. What say you, Viceroy. Personally I think our purposes will be served whichever of us ends up at each Citadel.

Hopefully these new invaders to the East and the Greeks in that direction will finish eachother off.

OverKnight
03-04-2008, 05:20
For now, let us go with the Chancellor's deployment. We can adjust later if needed.