PDA

View Full Version : African Warfare in the Age of Gunpowder

Noncommunist
12-22-2007, 18:05
From history classes and various other sources, I remember hearing about the slave trade and how the Africans got guns for slaves. However, I've never really heard that much on how the Africans fought the other Africans once they aquired the guns. So how did they fight? Did they use the same tactics the Europeans used in it's age of gunpowder or did they have their own unique style of fighting or something else? Also, is it likely to be represented in Empire: Total War

Fisherking
12-22-2007, 20:40
Like most things there is a quick answer which is mostly wrong and then the full story…

It is very complex. But many of the African Tribal States used women warriors known for their ferocity.

There are examples of human wave attacks that could bring total victory or utter defeat.

It seems that some still used archers to supplement their musketeers, presumably because of higher rates of fire and sometimes greater range.

They used all sorts of tactics and fought Europeans as well as other tribes.

A few things to research the subject are:

Vasco da Gama on the west African coast, Queen Kaipkre, the Herero, Queen Zinga Mbandi, & the amazons of Dahimey.

I am sure that will lead you to more names, places, & events that might get you close to an answer.

The last may be the best documented and it is a very bloody story. So good luck and happy hunting.

Noncommunist
12-23-2007, 01:23
Thanks for the info,