PDA

View Full Version : Cities

antisocialmunky
01-12-2008, 15:55
How edittable are the cities in M2TW? Also, are there ways to model real cities like Athens and Babylon and such for the campaign?

Foot
01-12-2008, 16:09
Impossible at the moment, and people working on the code say that very little will be editable once they've broken it. At least that was what I understood when KnightErrant last posted on it.

Foot

Perturabo
01-13-2008, 03:05
I am the first to admit a high degree of ignorance regarding the differences between RTW and MTW2, but is it in any way possible to 'transfer' the cities from RTW across? I am assuming a high degree of similarity between the engines.
Of course it would be nice to have new cities, though in my experience MTW2pathfinding is even worse than RTW, and this would be pure hell with a phalanx.

Foot
01-13-2008, 05:45
The Battlemap stuff has essentially changed completely with regards the file system they use. There is no way we can use models from RTW.

Foot

antisocialmunky
01-13-2008, 14:35
Yeah, M2TW's pathfinding in cities is atrocious though you eventually get used to how to get by that sort ot thing...

I was thinking more about the city layouts and what we can do with castles.

Puupertti Ruma
01-13-2008, 16:12
Random idea that just popped in to my mind:

What if city battles were completely removed, in a way that when you fight in a city, the "layout" of the city would actually be just a field where the two armies meet.

I am under the impression that the layout of cities is quite modifiable, just that walls and buildings are really hard to change. What I'm suggesting is that all the buildings and streets and walls would be took of and leave the area with just fields and trees.

Pro's: End of Siege:Total War and more field battles, no bad pathfinding in "cities", eliminates the need for modified buildings.

Con's: No more siege battles. In other sense would also spell doom for sieges, as there is no reason to wait.

Perturabo
01-13-2008, 16:18
Hmm, don't know that I would like it without cities entirely. The cities (as opposed to the forts/castles) in M2TW aren't really that much out of character for the EB timeframe. A few minor graphical changes and they should look pretty good. The only things that will likely be missing is the palaces and temples of the Greek/Roman world.

Just a note of interest, from memory the pre-hellenic greeks (if that is the right term) had some impressive fortifications. Were there any such things in this timeframe or were they really just the large cities of RTW style?

Haedarmkm
02-02-2008, 22:13
Hi ther Iam intresting what about castles did still as castles or convert to legions basement which I think its more correctly.

Watchman
02-02-2008, 22:30
Just a note of interest, from memory the pre-hellenic greeks (if that is the right term) had some impressive fortifications. Were there any such things in this timeframe or were they really just the large cities of RTW style?You're thinking of the Mycenean palace-fortresses. AFAIK the Classical Greeks thought only giants could have built those walls, hence the term "cyclopean" for structures built of big irregularly shaped rocks.

Fortified cities are really a bit different thing though, if I've understood correctly.

Bellum
02-03-2008, 00:31
I would rather fight without cities than fight ancient battles in cities from the middle ages.

antisocialmunky
02-03-2008, 05:24
Maybe we can just have places that historically had epic walls start as castles and remove the ability to convert from one to the other.. Though I think someone mentioned castes = nomad settlement for the nomad guys(reduced income, reduced growth, military production = PERFECT).

Mithridates VI Eupator
02-06-2008, 15:07
Is it not possible to edit some minor details. For example, having great medieval castles in 270 b.C. feels a bit silly. However, i think I could accept it, if there is no way around it.