PDA

View Full Version : Good Cop, Mad Cop - Mini Mafia Game

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-16-2008, 22:39
A police station in a dangerously criminal area of an American city. For many years the untouchable cops have remained exactly that - untouchable. Recently, however, one of these officers of the law has fallen to corrupt bribes from the very heart of the Italian mafia. The only problem is that the loyal officers, who all but one happen to have very negative traits, have no idea who is or who is not the dangerously bent cop.

Roles (5):
Sane Cop (1)
Naive Cop (1)
Paranoid Cop (1)
Insane Cop (1)
Bent Cop (1)

Everybody, excluding the Bent Cop, can investigate one person's integrity upon every assigned phase. The only difference is the results which will be provided and their accuracy.

The Sane Cop gains fully (100%) accurate results which plainly tell him if a player is "innocent" or "guilty". The former applying to the Insane Cop, the Naive Cop and the Paranoid Cop, the latter applying to the Bent Cop.

The Naive Cop gains results which display "innocent" for all players who are investigated. This is regardless of role.

The Paranoid Cop gains results which display "guilty" for all players who are investigated. This is regardless of role.

The Insane Cop gains results of varying accuracy which, like those of the cop, tell him if a player is "innocent" or "guilty". Unlike the normal Cop, however, the former applies to the Bent Cop, while the latter applies to the Sane Cop, the Naive Cop and the Paranoid Cop.

All of the above roles win if the Bent Cop is lynched or killed. Every role above is told they are a cop, but not which one - that they must work out with the other players later on in the game.

The Bent Cop cannot investigate, and has to make up his own results to manipulate others. He wins if he survives to a stage where there are two players, including himself, alive.

Phase Set-up:
This game goes astray from the traditional night phase/day phase set up.

The game starts with an investigative phase, where everybody, excluding the bent cop, can choose to investigate another player. This phase lasts 24-hrs.

This is then followed by all players having a choice between selecting a lynch (post "Vote: Lynch") or another round of investigations (post "Vote: Investigation") - the choice phase. This will last till either all players who are involved have voted, or until the time limit of 24 hours is up - which ever comes first. Also during this phase all players who can investigate must reveal their investigation results truthfully. The Bent Cop can make up his own results to trick others.

When the selection round has been completed the game will proceed onto either another investigative phase or a lynching phase. This depends upon the choice made in the previous round.

If the game goes into a lynching phase then all players must vote to select a player to lynch. The phase will conclude after a time limit of 24 hours is up. Once a lynch has occurred, the game then proceeds onto another investigative phase.

Then the cycle simply starts all over again.

After six investigation phases have been performed, the game automatically goes into lynching phases until either everybody but the Bent Cop and one other players is lynched (resulting in a Bent Cop victory), or until the Bent Cop is lynched (resulting in a Good Cop victory). This is to ensure that boredom doesn't ensue resulting in game death.

This game type has never undergone testing on the .Org before and I don't think this set up exactly hasn't undergone testing anywhere. Due to this it may have design flaws or issues with its set-up. Any questions or comments feel free to post them or drop them in a PM.

To sign up simply post the word "In" within this thread. I will start when the five required players have signed up.

Signed Up (5/5):
shlin28
Caius
kamikhaan
FactionHeir
taka

shlin28
01-16-2008, 22:42
In!

Caius
01-16-2008, 22:53
In!

seireikhaan
01-16-2008, 22:59
In.

FactionHeir
01-16-2008, 23:00
"In"

taka
01-17-2008, 03:55
in!

my first, and this one seems confusing lol

Beefy187
01-17-2008, 03:57
Am I too late to join?

If not IN!!

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-17-2008, 08:53
Sign-ups are now closed and PM distribution is underway.

Sorry Beefy - you missed out by two minutes to taka. My appologies ~:(

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-17-2008, 09:39
Investigative Phase I Prolouge
Investigative Phase I begins! All orders must be in by 12:00 (GMT) on the 18th of January. As you may have noticed this is a bit of an extention from the origionally planned 24-hrs to fit in more conveniently with my schedual.

Alive (5)
Caius
FactionHeir
kamikhaan
shlin28
taka

Beefy187
01-17-2008, 10:43
No worries. Ill just give you crappy role if you join mine....

:clown:

taka
01-17-2008, 15:22
sorry beefy ^^ hope to play you in the next game

taka
01-17-2008, 15:41
i had a look at this last night, and have a plan which should narrow down the bad cop to just 3 people after the first investigation... i think lol

so heres what i suggest:

everyone to investigate a different person, so we have results on everyone.
there should be 3 people with results that says either guilty or innocent
this would be because there should be two that have results for guilty, two for innocent, and the bad cop's choice (which is either guilty or innocent)

the bad cop should be one of the three

so heres what i recommend (something along the lines of):

Target - investigator:

Caius - taka
shlin28 - caius
kamikhaan -shlin28
FactionHeir - kamikhaan
taka - Fraction heir

my first time actually playing mafia, but i want to investigate caius because he greeted me with a vote:taka in the newbie hall when i said i joined the orgahs just to play mafia lol

what does everyone else think?

Caius
01-17-2008, 17:55
my first time actually playing mafia, but i want to investigate caius because he greeted me with a vote:taka in the newbie hall when i said i joined the orgahs just to play mafia lol
You'll see, its our way to greet new players to mafia. Happened in lots of cases.
Your idea suits fine, but I'm afraid we can make mistakes. It happens, due to Omanes difficulty settled in this game.

taka
01-17-2008, 20:41
haha, of course :)
but what i said will only work with the first investigation round, as with the other rounds, might have to think a bit more - its kinda hard to think more when im in exam period, broken crescent just released and joining to play mafia aswell!

mrdun
01-17-2008, 20:57
priorities Taka, priorities :laugh4:

Caius
01-18-2008, 02:28
:laugh4:

taka
01-18-2008, 05:13
priorities? that must mean mafia -> broken crescent -> exams...

o wait...it seems a little dodgy there lol

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-18-2008, 13:31
Choice Phase I Prolouge
Choice Phase I begins. All players must truthfully post their investigation results (with the exclusion of the Bent Cop who must make his results up).

Also on this phase everybody must choose whether to move to a lynching phase (where a player will be lynched - post Vote: Lynch) or move onto another investigative phase (where another round of investigations may be performed - post Vote: Investigate).

All votes must be in by 16:30 (GMT) on Saturday the 19th of January.

Alive (5):
Caius
FactionHeir
kamikhaan
shlin28
taka

Caius
01-18-2008, 14:26
I investigated taka. Guilty.

FactionHeir
01-18-2008, 16:30
vote:investigate

I found kamikhaan to be guilty.

taka
01-18-2008, 17:24
vote investigate

i investigated caius :P he was innocent

shlin28
01-18-2008, 17:57
Investigated Kammikhaan, found him guilty. I thought we were following the list Taka posted? :dizzy2:

Edit: Vote investigate

FactionHeir
01-18-2008, 18:25
I didn't actually see his list. Just figured Omanes would make either shlin or kamikhaan the Bent Cop so investigated kamikhaan first.

What I propose to find the Bent cop is that next phase we all investigate the same person. Doing so means that we can eventually rule that person out as good cop or as bent cop:

If the bent cop is investigated:
Cop will return Guilty
Bent Cop will return Innocent (or so you'd think)
Naive will get Guilty with a chance for innocent
Paranoid will get Guilty
Insane will get Innocent

2 Guilty, 1 possible innocent 2 innocent

Similarly if a good cop is investigated, we will get:
Cop will get innocent
Bent cop will get guilty (or maybe innocent, depends really)
Naive cop will get innocent
Paranoid will get innocent with a chance of guilty
Insane will get guilty.

2 Innocent 1 possibly guilty 2 guilty

So either way it will result in a 3:2 split of guilty vs innocent, except that innocents will have a higher chance of being shown innocent while guilties will have a higher chance of being shown guilty.

Now if we do this for 3 phases on the same person until get get a 3:2 split at least twice, we can be fairly sure whether the person is guilty or not. At the same time that also allows us to figure out ALL people's roles after that ordeal with high certainty.

The Bent Cop will most likely want to act like the Insane cop, so they will be difficult to differentiate, but we have a 50% chance of lynching the right person that way and that's a good risk to take. Note that if the Bent cop does not act as the Insane cop, he will immediately be found out after 3 phases.

Caius
01-18-2008, 19:42
Vote:Investigate

shlin28
01-18-2008, 20:03
I didn't actually see his list. Just figured Omanes would make either shlin or kamikhaan the Bent Cop so investigated kamikhaan first.

What I propose to find the Bent cop is that next phase we all investigate the same person. Doing so means that we can eventually rule that person out as good cop or as bent cop:

Cop will return Guilty
Paranoid will get Guilty
Insane will get Innocent

2 Guilty, 1 possible innocent 2 innocent

Cop will get innocent
Insane will get guilty.

2 Innocent 1 possibly guilty 2 guilty

So either way it will result in a 3:2 split of guilty vs innocent, except that innocents will have a higher chance of being shown innocent while guilties will have a higher chance of being shown guilty.

Now if we do this for 3 phases on the same person until get get a 3:2 split at least twice, we can be fairly sure whether the person is guilty or not. At the same time that also allows us to figure out ALL people's roles after that ordeal with high certainty.

The Bent Cop will most likely want to act like the Insane cop, so they will be difficult to differentiate, but we have a 50% chance of lynching the right person that way and that's a good risk to take. Note that if the Bent cop does not act as the Insane cop, he will immediately be found out after 3 phases.

Good plan, why would Omanes choose me or Kammikhaan for mafia though?

FactionHeir
01-18-2008, 20:15
Dunno, gut feeling I guess. Besides, its always you who thinks I'm mafia, so I figured I should return the favor, eh?

seireikhaan
01-19-2008, 05:44
Investigated FactionHeir, found to be innocent.

Vote: Investigate

FactionHeir
01-19-2008, 15:51
Day 1 investigation results:

Guilty:
kamikhaan - shlin, FactionHeir
taka - Caius

Innocent:
FactionHeir - kamikhaan
Caius - taka

I suggest that at the next investigative phase, we all investigate kamikhaan. Since I'm not sure if he can investigate himself, he can investigate someone else of his choosing. I suggest he investigates shlin as he has not been investigated at all yet.

[edit]
I noticed that I made a mistake in my initial suggestion as the target cannot investigate himself most likely, in that case we will win even more easily:

Cop will return Guilty
Paranoid will get Guilty
Insane will get Innocent

2 Guilty, 1 possible innocent 1 innocent
3:1 or 2:2 split with 3:1 more likely

Cop will get innocent
Insane will get guilty.

1-2 Innocent 0-1 possibly guilty 1-2 guilty
Some rather random split but in most cases also 3:1 or 2:2 however with a higher tendency towards innocent rather than guilty assuming bent cop always votes guilty

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-19-2008, 17:20
Choice Phase I Conclusion
The cops have chosen to move onto another set of investigations.

Investigative Phase II begins! All orders must be in by 17:00 (GMT) on Sunday the 20th of January.

Tally:
For another Investigative Phase - 5 (FactionHeir, kamikhaan, Caius, taka, shlin28)
For a Lynching Phase - 0

Alive (5)
Caius
FactionHeir
kamikhaan
shlin28
taka

I think I may have caused some confusion somewhere - the naive cop always gains an innocent result on any player he investigates. Likewise the paranoid cop always gains a guilty result on any investigated player. Targets cannot investigate themselves.

Sorry for any ambiguousness ~:(

FactionHeir
01-19-2008, 17:54
:furious3:

OK, lets try this again:

Cop will return Guilty
Naive will get Innocent
Paranoid will get Guilty
Insane will get Innocent

2 Guilty, 2 innocent

Cop will get innocent
Paranoid will get guilty
Insane will get guilty.

So if Cop is investigated, he will get 3:1 guilty. If Naive is investigated, he will get 3:1 guilty, if Paranoid is investigated, he will get 2:2, if Insane is investigated, he gets 2:2.

Frustrating.

Caius
01-20-2008, 00:37
This game could drive me to madness.

Lets do this. Every player will investigate me, excepting me who I will investigate FH. Next turn, everyone investigate FH, except him who will investigate the next of the list. In 5 turns, everyone will had investigated everyone and something will come up.-

FactionHeir
01-20-2008, 00:48
I think given the new information we need to deviate a bit.

I say we all investigate shlin because no one investigated him yet and this allows us to draw some conclusions to which cop we are.

shlin28
01-20-2008, 17:42
Who should I investigate if you all investigate me?

This game confuses me :embarassed:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-20-2008, 18:26
Not every players who can investigate has contacted me with their investigative request.

Due to this, this round will be extended, and will henceforth end at 17:30 (GMT) on Monday 21st of January.

taka
01-20-2008, 21:39
sorry for not posting, my net got cut off and im not sure when ill get it back :(

i think we have to lynch on the 3rd investiagtion? said something about that in the rules i think, so i dont think it'll go to round 5.

>.< if we went by my suggestions we could have eliminated two people off the start
its getting complicated LOL...

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-21-2008, 07:53
i think we have to lynch on the 3rd investiagtion? said something about that in the rules i think, so i dont think it'll go to round 5.I doubled that rule and made it six just after the game had begun. I thought that otherwise it would simply be impossible/exceedingly difficult to work out who the bent cop and all the other cops were.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-21-2008, 18:11
Choice Phase II Prolouge
Choice Phase II begins. All players must truthfully post their investigation results (with the exclusion of the Bent Cop who must make his results up).

Also on this phase, as with the last phase, everybody must choose whether to move to a lynching phase (where a player will be lynched - post Vote: Lynch) or move onto another investigative phase (where another round of investigations may be performed - post Vote: Investigate).

All votes must be in by 17:00 (GMT) on Tuesday the 22nd of January.

Alive (5):
Caius
FactionHeir
kamikhaan
shlin28
taka

Caius
01-21-2008, 18:39
shlin:Guilty

This mean I can be one of the following roles:

Sane Cop
Insane Cop

This could mean that:

taka is guilty, if i am Insane cop
shlin is innocent, if I am Insane cop
shlin is guilty, if i am sane cop
taka is innocent, if i am sane cop.

We need more investigations.

FactionHeir
01-21-2008, 18:58
shlin28: innocent.
vote:investigate

taka
01-21-2008, 22:12
edit, i made a cock up and rechecked my my pm

shlin was guilty

which means ive had a guilty result and a innocent one

which too means i am either sane cop or insane cop
one more investigation should tell me which one i am :)

vote: investigate

seireikhaan
01-21-2008, 22:14
Shlin, innocent.

Vote: Investigate

shlin28
01-21-2008, 22:18
Caius- guilty

That means I'm either paranoid or insane.

Vote Investigate

FactionHeir
01-21-2008, 22:27
Since it seems we will have another investigation phase, I suggest that we split the next phase investigation between myself and taka.

taka
01-22-2008, 02:09
as in everyone either investigate me or you correct?

FactionHeir
01-22-2008, 10:21
Yes

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-22-2008, 18:17
Choice Phase II Conclusion
The cops have chosen to move onto another set of investigations.

Investigative Phase III begins! All orders must be in by 17:00 (GMT) on Wednesday the 23rd of January.

Tally:
For another Investigative Phase - 4 (FactionHeir, kamikhaan, taka, shlin28)
For a Lynching Phase - 0

Alive (5)
Caius
FactionHeir
kamikhaan
shlin28
taka

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-23-2008, 18:08
Not all cops have sent in their investigation requests.

Due to this, the investigative phase will be extended till 12:30 (GMT) on Thursday the 24th of January.

FactionHeir
01-23-2008, 20:38
I think I sent mine in, although during the vote phase.

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-24-2008, 13:51
Choice Phase III Prologue
Choice Phase III begins. All players must truthfully post their investigation results (with the exclusion of the Bent Cop who must make his results up).

Also on this phase, as with the last phases, everybody must choose whether to move to a lynching phase (where a player will be lynched - post Vote: Lynch) or move onto another investigative phase (where another round of investigations may be performed - post Vote: Investigate).

All votes must be in by 17:00 (GMT) on Friday the 25th of January.

Alive (5):
Caius
FactionHeir
kamikhaan
shlin28
taka

FactionHeir
01-24-2008, 16:19
I found taka to be guilty.

Considering I got kamikhaan as guilty and shlin as innocent, this suggests that I am the insane cop. This also means that shlin is the bent cop.

vote:lynch

taka
01-24-2008, 19:10
i got a innocent on fractionheir so that means im the sane normal cop,and that means shlin is the bent cop since he was the one i got a guilty on

are we gonna go thru another round of investigations just to confirm?

shlin28
01-24-2008, 20:35
Taka- guilty

Vote Lynch

Caius
01-24-2008, 21:36
Guilty:FH

This is not possible. I'm the Insane Cop. But FH is also :inquisitive:

Vote:Investigate

taka
01-24-2008, 22:12
wow, strange, shall we make a list of results of what people got then? can check whos who that way

ill start with mine:

caius:innocent
shlin: guilty
fractionheir: innocent

with the results i got i would think i am the sane cop

caius' investigations:
taka: guilty
shlin: guilty
fractionheir: guilty

fractionheir's investigations:
kamikhaan: guilty
shlin: innocent

shlin's investigations:
kamikhaan: guilty
caius: guilty

kamikhaan's investigation
fractionheir: innocent
shlin: innocent
caius: innocent

edited to add kamikhaan's results

taka
01-24-2008, 22:18
from what i can see, seems like:

taka(me) is the sane cop,

caius is the paranoid cop

fractionheir is the insane cop

shlin is the paranoid cop

kamikhaan is the naive cop

this seems to me either shlin or caius is the bent cop, but with me (sane cop) having a guilty on shlin

i vote:lynch between shlin and caius, but with me for shlin

Caius
01-24-2008, 22:21
Wait, there is an error with my investigations.

Nevermind, I am wrong.

seireikhaan
01-24-2008, 22:22
Investigated Caius, result came up innocent.

Caius
01-24-2008, 22:26
Unvote:Investigate
Vote:Lynch

We got you, shlin. Mafia twice, you twice have to die.

taka
01-24-2008, 22:28
Wait, there is an error with my investigations.

Nevermind, I am wrong.

do u mean the ones u posted or the ones on my list? i just doubled checked and u posted guilty on all ur investigations

edit: nevermind, he was wrong :p

everyone vote lynch! we got shlin!

shlin28
01-24-2008, 22:30
Unvote:Investigate
Vote:Lynch

We got you, shlin. Mafia twice, you twice have to die.

Caius
01-24-2008, 22:31
I double checked too, and your list is right.

FactionHeir
01-24-2008, 22:31
I dunno, I think this game was vastly imbalanced with the chances of investigation being 100% for the pivotal roles rather than 50% or 33%. It pretty much meant the mafioso was bound to get lynched without night kills and forced lynch hases after investigations.

Ah well, good riddance shlin

Caius
01-24-2008, 22:32
Calm down, shlin. Please. That happens when you join the dark side.

shlin28
01-24-2008, 22:37
Bah, the mafia will return! (until all 28 incarnations die out of course)

taka
01-24-2008, 22:39
@caius: coolios, glad the list was right. so shlin it is then wakakaka~

@fractionheir: yea, 100% results will mean that the bent cop was gonna be lynched, but never the less, was still fun :)

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-25-2008, 17:42
Choice Phase III Conclusion
The cops have chosen to lynch a player.

The first lynch phase begins. Everybody must vote for a player to lynch in this format "Vote: [player]".

All votes must be in by 17:00 (GMT) on Saturday the 26th of January.

I failed to observe a critical design flaw in this game. Although I will allow the game to continue for now, I'll form a sequel at some point to try and build upon this game's strengths and resolve its weaknesses. I'm sorry for any enjoyment lost by my foolish oversights ~:(

Alive (5):
Caius
FactionHeir
kamikhaan
shlin28
taka

FactionHeir
01-25-2008, 17:59
vote:shlin

taka
01-25-2008, 17:59
dont worry about it omans, it was quite fun working out everything, and since its never been done before, its just a little different lol

anyways:

vote:shlin28

Caius
01-25-2008, 18:00
Omanes, please let me Vote:shiln first.

You should have added 1(one) more player to this game. You have build a good game, but with more players you will make a game more hard.

shlin28
01-25-2008, 22:30
Vote Shlin28

shlin28
01-26-2008, 23:16
Game over?

This the second game in a row where I was identified as mafia with inrefutable evidence... I hope this don't become a habit :embarassed:

Omanes Alexandrapolites
01-27-2008, 10:37
Lynch Phase Conclusion
shlin28 was locked in a police cell and hung for his despicably corrupt behavior. After a search through his files and the paperwork on his desk, it was discovered that he was definitely the Bent Cop.

This has resulted in a Good Cop Victory!

Alive (4)
Caius (Paranoid Cop)
FactionHeir (Insane Cop)
kamikhaan (Naive Cop)
taka (Sane Cop)

Lynched (1)
shlin28 (Bent Cop)

Verdict/Game Faults and Flaws:
So far the players and I have concluded that the game was impossible for the Bent Cop to win due to the 100% accuracy that all cops gained.

I propose, based upon the feedback of others for future games of this type, to give the Sane Cop and the Insane Cop limited accuracy.

Also it may be a good idea to provide the Paranoid Cop with a small chance of getting an Innocent Result on an innocent player, and providing the Naive Cop with a small chance of gaining a guilty result on a guilty player.

This less guaranteed method should resolve the primary problems with the current system.

Another thing I may modify in the future is the removal of the "Choice Phase" and simply moving into a "Lynch Phase" directly after the "Investigative Phase". The only difference being that there is a "No Lynch" option which can be selected rather than voting for a player. The "No Lynch" option will be publicized to promote usage of it where needed.

The idea behind this is that it will keep the game moving, and keep the phase system to a pattern which all players are more used to.

After something Caius said, I also am considering the inclusion of a second Bent Cop and the addition of another Good Cop to negate the numbers bonus which the second bent cop would bring.

The Good Cop will probably be a "Useless Cop", basically a cop who gains purely random results from his investigations, while the second Bent Cop will be there to help re-enforce the first and counterclaim investigations by the Sane and Insane Cops. The Useless Cop could also possibly be a role which is unable to investigate and has to fake his results depending upon who he finds suspicious.

I'm interested in any further feedback which you guys can come up with.

Thanks
:bow:

Caius
01-27-2008, 19:00
After something Caius said, I also am considering the inclusion of a second Bent Cop and the addition of another Good Cop to negate the numbers bonus which the second bent cop would bring.

That would work better.

FactionHeir
01-27-2008, 22:06
I think maybe the Sane cop always gets the correct results but can only investigate every second phase. He has to make up something during the non investigation phase, which may make this role very tricky.