PDA

View Full Version : EB Text

antisocialmunky
01-19-2008, 15:09
Is there anyway we can implement names of characters/units/structures in their native languages? It would be cool to see some Greek alphabet.

Klearchos
01-19-2008, 16:48
Sounds great , but what about german buildings and units? Runic alphabet? Sounds difficult...

Foot
01-19-2008, 18:44
It would make the game stupidly difficult to play. Differentiating between names in a foreign language that uses the latin alphabet is easy, doing so in a foreign alphabet is difficult. Unfamiliar shapes make it difficult to form and remember patterns.

Foot

antisocialmunky
01-19-2008, 21:58
It would be a nice header on their unit descriptions though. I'm always curious as to what unit names looks like in their native languages.

Tellos Athenaios
01-20-2008, 19:50
You sure you'd be able to understand whatever the Saba alphabet looks like? Or Sanskrit? Or the Celtic alphabet(s)? Or Elamite, Old-Persian, and various other Iranian and Indian languages?

Just let me say one thing: with ancient Greek it is feasible to understand it, but even so most people already proclaim you to be intelligent brilliant the instant you announce you can actually read that. Whereas, in fact, it is remarkably the same as the Latin alphabet we all use; and only takes a week or so to get fully accustomed to.

I would not count on all the others being as easy to get to know as that one.

Apart from the various thechnical limitations which may or may not prevent the various characters from being displayed.

Copperknickers
01-20-2008, 20:30
Still, I think they should have a lot more indigeonus writing on buildings, and on the loading screens. With EB loading times, i'd be happy to have an entirely new language system or 2 to learn.:yes:

Agathyrsus
01-20-2008, 23:09
Something tells me that might be a problem. When I first put MIITW on mynew vista machine, there were font errors. I don't know what absurdly large patch fixed it, but it coul dbe more than just difficult to read... On the other hand it might be very simple, but im pretty sure the fonts are packed away for the game... who knows...