PDA

View Full Version : Names

Klearchos
01-19-2008, 18:08
Hail
No offense but I believe that some of the generals' names do not stuck with their heritage.
For example, a general named "Midas Lakedaimonios" can't be "Korinthios". Lakedaimona is the region around Sparte.
The same goes for someone named "Midas Attikos". He can only be "Athenaios", cause Attike is the region around Athenai.
Can this problem be solved?

UP THE HAMMERS
Blessed be

Foot
01-19-2008, 18:42
It is impossible to connect a general's ethnicity to their name. Both ethnicity and name are random (unless they are inherited from their father if they are a son born into the family tree).

Foot

antisocialmunky
01-19-2008, 22:00
Can't you replace the surname(what's rendered as the surname in RTW anyways) with a title like "The Conqueror"? What would stop you from using that thing?

MarcusAureliusAntoninus
01-20-2008, 03:01
That's what is done with the Romans, now. However, that took like 6 months of work by dedicated people.

Foot
01-20-2008, 07:08
And that relies on a ethnicity system and naming system that are concerned with the same thing. For the Hellenes, the ethnicity system describes where they came from, their surname follows their family. For the Romans, the ethnicity system describes their family as does their surname. I think most Barbarian factions have it the other way round, both the ethnicity and the surname (through epithets) describe where they came from not a family name.

Foot

Tellos Athenaios
01-20-2008, 20:01
And you can always pretend that (which isn't terribly a-historical either) your guy M. Lakedaimonios from Korinthos (which is what the ethnicity Korinthios says) is actually:

M. from a migrated branch of some Lakedaimonios family which happened to settle in Korinthos. So he is Korinthios (by birth) but called Lakedaimonios (family heritage).

Klearchos
01-20-2008, 20:14
Ok.. I just asked if that was aproblem that could be solved...For more historical accuracy only.

Atilius
01-23-2008, 04:19
That's what is done with the Romans, now. However, that took like 6 months of work by dedicated people.Would you believe it if I told you that jackass still isn't done?

Tellos Athenaios
01-23-2008, 20:08
Since you created it, I think I had better believe you...?

Teleklos Archelaou
01-24-2008, 07:09
I'm still awed that you guys got it working as well as you have. I can't even begin to fathom what that would take to get working on the Greek side. :grin:

I would follow Tellos' advice - roleplay it so that it works. It isn't hard when you have Thessalians in Baktria, etc. - so much movement in this time period, that this sort of thing isn't too unusual.

Long lost Caesar
01-28-2008, 21:50
personally i dont mind if the names are slightly off, as long as it has something to do with the major ethnicity of a character, and i think that it would save the guys from (IMO) stupid stuff like getting the names right and allow them to do some more needed things. after, EB II will take long enough to come out without some poor lad having to make sure the names are absolutely perfect.

Ayce
01-28-2008, 21:56
The Getai also have a problem due to a compromise. The names would normally have to be Name per Father's name, but in game this cannot be modeled, so they are named Name per City (dava) name.

Klearchos
01-29-2008, 14:34
personally i dont mind if the names are slightly off, as long as it has something to do with the major ethnicity of a character, and i think that it would save the guys from (IMO) stupid stuff like getting the names right and allow them to do some more needed things. after, EB II will take long enough to come out without some poor lad having to make sure the names are absolutely perfect.

I just asked a quetion and there is NO need to be offensive...After all you posted a thread where you volunteer to do research for the EB team (and you have my respect for that)...well I JUST ASKED if there was a way to improve the realism of the game in this sector. I understand it can not be done. I am totally ok with it.

Long lost Caesar
01-29-2008, 17:21
oh sorry mate, i didnt mean to be offensive, although having read my post i totally get what you mean, take my word for it when i say i didnt mean anything against you, i just reckon that the dudes making the game shouldnt have to worry about that just now, since, as i understand it (and theres not a lot i DO understand about computers) they have a lot of files and such to rewrite, which you probably understand is work enough.
and as for the whole volunteering thing, i dont mind writing some stuff up...as long as it doesnt involve code, or EB II will never work:laugh4:

Klearchos
01-31-2008, 17:57
oh sorry mate, i didnt mean to be offensive, although having read my post i totally get what you mean, take my word for it when i say i didnt mean anything against you, i just reckon that the dudes making the game shouldnt have to worry about that just now, since, as i understand it (and theres not a lot i DO understand about computers) they have a lot of files and such to rewrite, which you probably understand is work enough.
and as for the whole volunteering thing, i dont mind writing some stuff up...as long as it doesnt involve code, or EB II will never work:laugh4:

No problem friend. And yes the valunteering thing would be nice...everyone can do a little research if it does help!:2thumbsup: