PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Lack of Information

Polemists
01-21-2008, 02:07
The game is supposedly coming out in March, (20 something) from everything I've read. I have heard it is on schedule, and since they have a history of hitting release dates I see no idea why they wouldn't hit this one.

So why does it seem like there is so little information on this total war then there was about Medieval? It is getting close two months away from release and we have few pictures, no videos, and the webpage barely even has a empire total war section.

I don't know maybe come Feburary they have a revamped Empire Total War lying in wait, but as if right now I mostly feel as if there is nothing to really see or discuss on Empire. Maybe I'm only one feeling this way though.

Evil_Maniac From Mars
01-21-2008, 02:12
According to Wikipedia and Gamespot, the release date is still TBA, but is sometime in 2008. I really don't think it's in March - we haven't even seen any land battle screenshots yet.

pevergreen
01-21-2008, 03:50
When a release date is announced, I will hunt for more information. Once it is announced, this forum at least will become a lot busier, as did the Med 2 one.

I dont think they can release in march, no demo and faction previews yet.

Mailman653
01-21-2008, 05:36
Yeah March is too soon, I think in a thread some where on here quoting an article, they stated that the game was only 25% done, and this was only in Oct-Dec.

rajpoot
01-21-2008, 08:57
Oh it'll be the fall season of October, its always October..........but it sure would be an unexpected and very very pleasant surprise if it gets released in March. :jumping: :bounce:

Jack Lusted
01-21-2008, 10:30
The game is supposedly coming out in March, (20 something) from everything I've read.

Empire is NOT, repeat NOT coming out in March, the March release date posted in Total PC Gaming magazine is not correct, we are not even sure how they came to that conclusion, and the game is not 75% complete either. We have not given a release dater yet, but it won't be for a while. That's why there isn't much info out yet, but believe me there will be a lot of info between now and release.

Wolf_Kyolic
01-21-2008, 11:52
Anyone expecting it to be released before 2009 is dreaming.

Rhyfelwyr
01-21-2008, 12:03
I hope it isn't rushed, a bug-free ETW for next Christmas would do me fine.

Wolf_Kyolic
01-21-2008, 13:02
Bugs? Have you ever seen a bug in any TW serie? They are always bug free mate. People confuse bugs and features and that is the problem. What you think as bugs are features in fact. TW series have always been bug free and they will remain being so.

pevergreen
01-21-2008, 14:55
pevergreen points to the fact that each game has been patched. Joking taken in stride.

Wolf_Kyolic
01-21-2008, 15:11
Yes patching deals with 50% of the "features". 50% remains there forever. And you know how many new features we have there. Tens of! :)

Polemists
01-22-2008, 04:33
Well Jack summed it up for me. I read the Total Pc gaming mag. Which is where they said march.

That's rather sad though, as I was kind hoping for something to do with Empire total war between now and march besides wall papers, (VIdeos, faction preview, demo, what have you.) Guess now won't be anything till Oct.

O well. Guess I'll check back then.

Jack Lusted
01-22-2008, 21:23
Oh you'll get more than wallpapers between now and March.

Csargo
01-22-2008, 22:32
Something to look forward to. Great.

rajpoot
01-23-2008, 08:55

Ooooooooooooh :bounce:

pevergreen
01-23-2008, 11:51
Im holding that against you.

alpaca
01-24-2008, 16:21
I'd rather they released a polished product by March 2010 than a rushed thing this year, but then again that's probably not going to happen :bow:

Martok
01-24-2008, 17:41
I'd rather they released a polished product by March 2010 than a rushed thing this year, but then again that's probably not going to happen :bow:

:yes:

Mouzafphaerre
01-24-2008, 22:21
:shrug:

Evil_Maniac From Mars
01-25-2008, 04:50
I'd rather they release it sooner than later, as it's not going to be polished anyways, and modders will have more time to work on it to make it a decent game.

Roberts
01-25-2008, 14:37
I'd rather they release it sooner than later, as it's not going to be polished anyways, and modders will have more time to work on it to make it a decent game.
Imo the overall modding has declined with M2:TW compared with the modding effort put in RTW, probably because many modders felt frustrated about M2:TW not having any noticeable improvement ( like gameplay ) over RTW apart from graphics - so they left tw modding altogether. Even more can leave tw modding if Empire turns out pretty poor (gameplay wise). Of course new modders will come in, but ....

rajpoot
01-25-2008, 15:21
but.......you can't replace the old masters :clown: well, ETW is a new engine isn't it? Got to be way better than the past.

Evil_Maniac From Mars
01-25-2008, 18:23
Got to be way better than the past.
Just like R:TW was supposed to be better than M:TW? Well, only time will tell.

IsItStillThere
02-23-2008, 02:54
Well Jack summed it up for me. I read the Total Pc gaming mag. Which is where they said march.

March 2009 might be a better guess.

Raz
02-23-2008, 11:15
You'd assume it'd be easy to put a flaw into a new game engine (accidentally, of course :wink2:). Still, there will always be M2TW.

Also, on that modding note: As long as a game is easily modified, it will last players for a very, very long time - thus developers don't have to rush out another game to keep players.... well, playing. For example, if one plays a video game for say over 5 months before he/she is bored, the player can grab a small mod that rebalances and adds to the game, extending replayability another 3 months before being bored again. By that time, a larger scale mod would've been released creating a new atmosphere to the game, allowing the player to immerse him/herself for another 4 months. And if the game is easily modified, an total conversion might've been produced, creating "almost" a new game, extending gameplay for another 5 months and, if well made, possibly longer. By that time a sequel would've been produced and published by the developers and thus the process repeats itself.

The least vicious cycle in life I know. ~:joker:

Ferret
02-25-2008, 22:40
Imo the overall modding has declined with M2:TW compared with the modding effort put in RTW, probably because many modders felt frustrated about M2:TW not having any noticeable improvement ( like gameplay ) over RTW apart from graphics - so they left tw modding altogether. Even more can leave tw modding if Empire turns out pretty poor (gameplay wise). Of course new modders will come in, but ....

I strongly disagree with this, I have found stainless steel and Broken Cresent more enjoyable than any RTW mod I've played, including EB.

Zim
02-26-2008, 07:08
Yeah, I'd say BC is even more fun than EB, especially since the campaign AI can be modded better now, and the battle AI is rather better than RTW.

Of course, we'll have to see about EB2. :beam:

Csargo
02-26-2008, 22:23
Well it's almost March and there's nothing new...:bigcry:

Intrepid Sidekick
02-27-2008, 19:49
As Jack said: ITS NOT BEING RELEASED IN MARCH! :dizzy2: :help:
ok?

Anyway more info is being drip fed every month.
Think about all the things you dont know about Empire yet :inquisitive: and think how long that information will take to be released. :balloon2: Might give you an idea of when we are releasing? :idea2:
If it doesnt it will keep you busy until we do. :beam:

alpaca
02-27-2008, 21:24
ok?

Think about all the things you dont know about Empire yet :inquisitive: and think how long that information will take to be released. :balloon2: Might give you an idea of when we are releasing? :idea2:
December 2354 (basing things on typical SEGA/CA information policy) :yes:

PSYCHO V
02-29-2008, 00:38
ok?

Thanks Interpid.

Not sure how much clearer you guys can make this?
What's not to understand when one says TBA?

my2bob

Csargo
02-29-2008, 04:09
ok?

Well it's almost March and there's nothing new...

I assume your post was directed at me. k thx. I assumed there would be some new info this month, but I haven't noticed anything new.

Templar Knight
02-29-2008, 18:04

hmm, thats that out the window then, unless we get an update today :inquisitive:

Jack Lusted
02-29-2008, 18:29
Well I'd call the FAQs more than wallpapers.

rajpoot
02-29-2008, 18:45
What FAQs?? I can't see any.......where? where? ~:confused:

Edit 1 : Refreashing the tw blog and the tw.com page every one minute.......still nothing new.....
Edit 2 : All right, it's officially the 1st of March, 12:03 am here now, and I still can't see the FAQs..............dissapointing..... :(

well well, I hope there's a surprise tomorrow morning........

pevergreen
03-01-2008, 10:56
8 pm nearly on the first here :no:

Jack Lusted
03-01-2008, 14:24
I was referring to the FAQS we have been doing, but yes there will be a new one soon.

rajpoot
03-01-2008, 15:42
Oh right.

But when??!! It already is March!

Martok
03-01-2008, 18:47
Patience, grasshopper. We might need to give it another week or two (even though I know you don't want to). ~;)

YellowMelon
03-01-2008, 20:54
I love how new games are like crack to us!

Kyolic still can make me :laugh4: Your pessimism warms my heart.

Still though, TBA is pretty indicative. Nobody can predict how long it will take to make the game unless you are making the game, and even then do you ever really know? This is a new engine, it's not as easy as the conversion from RTW to M2TW, and let me say, that is a good thing! All the best to the dev team. As my friend willy tells us: "Wisely and slow, they stumble that run fast" ;)

A bone here and there will qualm the potential for TW fanatical anxiety-induced uni-bombings.

Unfortunately wallpapers and screen shots don't do it for me. I like stomach candy, not eye candy ;) Do you have some? No? Ah, FAQ me! Literally, do it. Hehehe. I'll stop talking now.

Rhyfelwyr
03-02-2008, 00:33
Take your time CA!

It is a little bit hypocritical of use here who tell you to take more time with developing your games to iron out bugs etc, and then hound you for a FAQ a few hours after the date set.

YellowMelon
03-02-2008, 00:41
Not that I care for the tidbits that are released whenever, but I don't find that hypocritical at all. Releasing the game is completely separate from releasing screenies, FAQ and whatnot. You have to do that otherwise people will lose interest, and you want to maintain if not elevate that interest come the TBA release date. It's marketing.

Furious Mental
03-02-2008, 05:08
On top of which if question marks are left over the game before it is released we are more likely to be unpleasantly surprised when it is released, because it is the good aspects of the game that are talked up. A classic example for practically any game is

Q: "How convenient will the game be for modding?"
A: "This will definitely be the most moddable game in the series, if not genre, we've made loads of improvements."
Q: "What are they?"
A: *runs away*

Csargo
03-02-2008, 07:16
I was referring to the FAQS we have been doing, but yes there will be a new one soon.

I realized now that you were talking about the FAQ from Jan. :wall:

Jack Lusted
03-02-2008, 11:18
On top of which if question marks are left over the game before it is released we are more likely to be unpleasantly surprised when it is released, because it is the good aspects of the game that are talked up. A classic example for practically any game is

Q: "How convenient will the game be for modding?"
A: "This will definitely be the most moddable game in the series, if not genre, we've made loads of improvements."
Q: "What are they?"
A: *runs away*

Oh you'll get answers to those questions closer to release. Atm all we can say is that it will be more moddable, we'll get into the specifics closer to release. We just can't answer them now due to the fact the game is still being made and things could change between now and release so if we gave specific info now, we might have to redo all the info closer to release. Patience, you will hear more about modding before Empire gets released.

YellowMelon
03-02-2008, 14:15
And if they change things and people buy the game, they go "False marketing! Rawr!"

Then troll for a while, get tired, and fall asleep somewhere.

Mouzafphaerre
03-03-2008, 18:04
Jack didn't say March 2008 you no0bz101 :end:

YellowMelon
03-04-2008, 00:06
How are they noobs for not knowing that? :daisy: :focus:

Mouzafphaerre
03-04-2008, 03:28
Psst! Sarcasm. :listen:

Puzz3D
03-04-2008, 11:34
Oh you'll get answers to those questions closer to release. Atm all we can say is that it will be more moddable, we'll get into the specifics closer to release.
Well the Kingdoms patch is close to release since it has been sent off to SEGA QA, but Creative Assembly will still not say what issues have an have not been addressed. They certainly know at this point what was fixed and what wasn't fixed. All Sensei will say is that as many issues as possible were addressed.

Based on the experience with CA's marketing of RTW and M2TW, CA does withhold information about the game which reduces people's ability to make an informed purchasing decision. I and many other players I know were unpleasantly surprised with RTW when we played it, and I read everything that CA posted about it prior to purchasing the game.

rajpoot
03-04-2008, 12:54
Based on the experience with CA's marketing of RTW and M2TW, CA does withhold information about the game which reduces people's ability to make an informed purchasing decision.

Everyone does that........I'm not saying that it is right or wrong, but the fact is, that any merchant who wishes to sell his ware will tell you all that is good, and forget to quote the nasty bits.....

btw, it is getting really very depressing, it sure seems the game might well be delayed till '09 end........ :(

Martok
03-04-2008, 19:00
btw, it is getting really very depressing, it sure seems the game might well be delayed till '09 end........ :(
I'd *much* rather prefer that, as opposed to the game being released too soon and being full of bugs. Not that anyone enjoys a game's release being pushed back, but often times that's the best thing for it. There's been too many PC titles rushed out the door before they were really ready....including both RTW & M2TW.

So again, I counsel patience. I know it's not easy to wait, but we want a game that's as complete as possible. In my experience, a game that's released sooner but requires massive patching is far, far worse than a game that takes an extra 6-12 months for fine-tuning. :yes:

Puzz3D
03-04-2008, 20:20
Everyone does that........I'm not saying that it is right or wrong, but the fact is, that any merchant who wishes to sell his ware will tell you all that is good, and forget to quote the nasty bits.....
That's right, and everyone should be concerned that they are going to get burned by Empire Total War.

I'll have to buy a new computer to play ETW. You think I'm going to do that just because CA employees say the game is going to be good? Of course not because they have the NDA over them which prevents them from providing objective information, and the consequence is that you cannot make an informed purchasing decision until many months after the game is released when the problems become apparent. I waited on purchasing M2TW, and I sure am glad that I didn't buy it despite the claim that it was going to be a tactical extravaganza.

Wolf_Kyolic
03-06-2008, 10:30
I know it's not easy to wait, but we want a game that's as complete as possible. In my experience, a game that's released sooner but requires massive patching is far, far worse than a game that takes an extra 6-12 months for fine-tuning. :yes:

Massive patching is required anyway, even if CA releases it on 2010. And that massive patching won't solve problems 100%. Some bugs will remain there forever.

Because:

Some bits of the game are not under their control anymore since Rome. It is about huge cpu calculations + animations and CA is not able to synch those properly. Archer range bug for example. You get shot by enemy archers although you are out of range by yards because the animation has to be completed (lmao). MTW2 was released on 2006 and that is not still fixed since 2 years!!!!

Because: they do not know how to fix it. At least they do not know how to fix it without writing some several hundred thousand lines of codes.

A new engine needs to be coded from scratch. I doubt that will be done and even if it is done, I doubt they will succseed coding it in a bug free way. If doing that was not beyond their capacity, they would have done it before and make everyone shut up.

That archer range bug is only one example. A 90 florins cost peasant unit holds vs an 600 florins cost elite sword unit for 5 mins is an other example. Peasants use knives and that moves quicker than the swords. So in that sense they hold vs an elite cav or inf unit for several minutes. That means a BROKEN engine.

Those calculations + animations related bugs will be there forever. Game is simply broken since Rome. However majority of the SP peeps do not realise that and CA can sell millions of copies without any problems. You just pay for a faulty product.

There are some CA employees who read this forum and they post here. If one of them comes and proves me wrong I will apolagize. But that will not happen. None of them will answer to this post.

Oh most probably they can come and answer like this but: "You will never see any of those past INCORRECTABLE bugs in ETW".

Then I might answer like this: "You know how many times we heard that before? Honestly, how many times? 20? 30?........"

Oh btw please make ETW expansion 6 separated parts this time. That is a much better deal than 4 seprated parts of Kingdoms. Keeps it much more tighter. :laugh4:

pevergreen
03-06-2008, 13:05
They are building a new engine, the screenshots alone prove that.

M2:TW has not had 2 years of work put into it since release, that point is wrong. They release 2-3 patches and no more, moved on to the next project.

The longest ive ever seen a company stay with a product is Blizzard, a few weeks ago patch 1.21b came out for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (an expansion pack), I wouldnt doubt it was around the 50th patch.

A new engine needs to be coded from scratch. I doubt that will be done and even if it is done, I doubt they will succseed coding it in a bug free way. If doing that was not beyond their capacity, they would have done it before and make everyone shut up.
Insulting their finished products is one thing, insulting their abilities is another. When you manage to code a game like M2TW, maybe you can talk like that to them?

That archer range bug is only one example. A 90 florins cost peasant unit holds vs an 600 florins cost elite sword unit for 5 mins is an other example. Peasants use knives and that moves quicker than the swords. So in that sense they hold vs an elite cav or inf unit for several minutes. That means a BROKEN engine.

I have played M2:TW extensively on patch 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2. I have never encountered that bug.

Those calculations + animations related bugs will be there forever. Game is simply broken since Rome. However majority of the SP peeps do not realise that and CA can sell millions of copies without any problems. You just pay for a faulty product.

The engine is not perfect. No engine ever is. M2:TW and RTW are on the same engine, therefore same type of problems and limitations.

There are some CA employees who read this forum and they post here. If one of them comes and proves me wrong I will apolagize. But that will not happen. None of them will answer to this post.

As far as I understand:
- There is nothing for them to answer to, you haven't asked questions, only told answers
- They have no reason to respond if you attack their abilities
- This isn't their official forums, so less reason to spend their time here
- As far as I know, there is no Public Relations type person for CA who spends all day reading these types of posts.

I have no doubt someone will read your post. However I agree with you when you say they won't respond. I dont think it's worth their time.

The Shogun
03-06-2008, 13:14
Hi guys just thought I would pop in and say hi. I know it's frustrating when there is a lack of information regarding a game release. Being a keen gamer myself I am often in the same boat as you chaps waiting for any news or feature lists etc. As soon as we can get some more info out to you we will and please keep an eye on www.totalwar.com for as this will be the first place for resources and updates.

Once again sorry I don't have any more news for you just yet but I did just want to pop in and say hi and hang in there, it will be worth the wait.

rajpoot
03-06-2008, 14:17
I thought it was the TW blog where all the FAQs came first.........

Wolf_Kyolic
03-06-2008, 19:43
Dear CA,

Please give pevergreen a free copy of ETW. He really deserved it. :beam:

Caius
03-06-2008, 21:00
Poor CA guys, they are sieged by us.

Guys, lets have some good patience and wait.

YellowMelon
03-07-2008, 00:30
I will buy nothing but Shogun reincarnate!

Actually I have enjoyed TW all the way along despite its shortcomings. Still better than every other game of its genre (of which there aren't many).

rajpoot
03-07-2008, 02:59
Still better than every other game of its genre (of which there aren't many).

Exactly!

Wolf_Kyolic
03-07-2008, 09:39
I will buy nothing but Shogun reincarnate!

Actually I have enjoyed TW all the way along despite its shortcomings. Still better than every other game of its genre (of which there aren't many).

It is the only one actually. No other game in the world has such a concept + "moral issue" in it. That is why we all loved it. Until UK office released Rome and turned everything into a big lame! MTW2 was developed by Aussie branch (developers of the first game in the serie - Shogun) and it is sort of playable with Retrofit mod however now it is again UK office which is developing ETW and god knows what new "features" they are inventing!

The terrain and weather are a factor in the battles. Ranged units on high ground get a greater range and accuracy. Units fighting in mêlée are more effective if they are on higher ground than the enemy. Cavalry fighting in forests lose some of their maneuverability and effectiveness, whereas infantry do not. If ranged weapons are used on units that are hiding in forests they have less chance of getting hit. If it's snowing, heavily armored units get tired sooner. If it's raining then guns and bows become less effective or even useless. This adds depth to the game as attacking in different seasons means greater chance of a certain weather condition and some provinces are easier to defend than others. It also means that the mobilization phase of the battle is no less important than the actual fighting, as gaining the high ground may give a player the winning edge.

All units have honor. Honor is basically the experience of success the unit has, and higher honor means greater effectiveness and less chance of routing. Generals gain or lose honor according to their success rate and their honor affects all those who fight under their command. This means that fresh reinforcements are usually inferior to units that have fought before; sending units to battle that they cannot win not only costs you units but enhances the soldiers of your enemy and degrades the honor of your own general (causing the units below him to fight worse).

UK office thought all these were uncessary when they released Rome. DEPTH was something to get rid of so that they could sell more. Well actually CA was really successful with Rome in terms of sales. So noone can blame them. The great RTW (random total war)! :beam:

Jack Lusted
03-07-2008, 10:07
That is why we all loved it. Until UK office released Rome and turned everything into a big lame! MTW2 was developed by Aussie branch (developers of the first game in the serie - Shogun)

Just to correct this, Shogun: Total War, Medieval: Total War and Rome: Total War were all developed by the UK office, Medieval II: Total War was the first Total War game made by the Australia studio.

Wolf_Kyolic
03-07-2008, 10:21
Just to correct this, Shogun: Total War, Medieval: Total War and Rome: Total War were all developed by the UK office, Medieval II: Total War was the first Total War game made by the Australia studio.

Hmm I may be be misinformed on this one so I accept your quote as the correct one.

Ok so why did UK office suddenly decide to get rid of all those magical elements that made the game something innovational and genious? Just for sales? And then Aussie branch put them back in MTW2.

pevergreen
03-07-2008, 14:23
RTW brought the series into glorious 3D.

My first TW was RTW, I find MTW unplayable, i am quickly bored from it.

It's all to do with the type of person.

TosaInu
03-07-2008, 15:35
Hmm I may be be misinformed on this one so I accept your quote as the correct one.

There was something with Australia and original STW too. Ben from Dreamtime should ring a bell.

http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/shogun/shogdem.txt

Shogun: Total War TM.
The 'Shogun' and 'Total War' logos are trademarks of Dreamtime Interactive. All rights reserved.

Shogun Total War is developed by Creative Assembly, produced by Dreamtime Interactive and published by Electronic Arts.

I don't know whether Dreamtime Interactive is Australian (name suggests yes) or whether CA or DT have offices outside the UK, but I clearly recall Australia to be involved with STW.

Puzz3D
03-07-2008, 16:14
My first TW was RTW, I find MTW unplayable, i am quickly bored from it.
I was quickly bored with RTW because the battles are less interesting tactically than those that use the first generation TW battle engine, and the campaign is a tedious and unchallenging exercise in micromanagement.

Intrepid Sidekick
03-07-2008, 17:10
FYI

Almost all of the staff who worked on Shogun and Medieval were based in the West Sussex (UK) offices. Jeff Van Dyke being a notable exception.

We started growing the CA Oz office during the development of Rome:TW and they (CA oz) got to work on a few of the graphics engine elements of Rome and the audio (Jeff Van Dyke).
After that CAOZ got to make Medieval 2 along with some UK staff that used to live in the UK but moved to Australia.

Empire is being made and designed in the CA UK offices. There are quite a number of the original faces from Shogun, Medieval and Rome still involved in making and designing the TW games.

In the end all of it is about teamwork.

Puzz3D
03-07-2008, 17:11
TW competes with itself. It's unfortunate that CA did the best job on the first version of TW because they set a standard that they couldn't maintain. What good are more features if they either don't work or aren't balanced properly? And, why accept inferior gameplay especially when you already own the the version that has the superior gameplay. I can see the better graphics and they still don't look realistic, and neither do the animations. It still looks like a computer game. You get a better suspension of disbelief with the first game in the series.

It appears that ETW will have a different enough game design that it won't compete directly with the other TW games. However, I'm not confident that CA has discarded their penchant for including more features in their game than they can properly implement within the development time. I have the impression that the managers are putting more work on the programmers than the programmers can handle. When ETW is released you can bet that information about the game is going to be held back so that you cannot make an informed purchasing decision. Oh you'll be told the system requirements, shown lots of still photos and get a gimmicked battle demo, but you won't get the necessary information to decide if you should buy a new computer or to know if all the features have been properly implemented.

Based on past experience and comments made by CA such as "not enough resources", "not enough time", "have to move on to the next project", "that would only be of interest to hardcore players", "the game isn't a history lession", "it's too much work to fix", etc..., all the features in ETW won't be properly implemented, and they won't be properly balanced because it's pretty hard to balance things when some of the stuff isn't working correctly. For instance, imagine trying to balance M2TW with the shield bug present and you don't know that bug is there. Now you fix that bug in a patch, but you don't have time to rebalance all the units again which is what would have to be done to do it right. Now most of the people who bought the game don't seem to care about that, so great just forget about it and make the next game.

Wolf_Kyolic
03-07-2008, 17:31
There are quite a number of the original faces from Shogun, Medieval and Rome still involved in making and designing the TW games.

I hope those Rome faces are the ones who get involved with ETW the less. :yes:

caravel
03-07-2008, 17:31
They are building a new engine, the screenshots alone prove that.
Do the screenshots really prove that though? I remember similar claims that M2TW was a "new engine", wheras in fact it was the RTW engine with a bit of a facelift. BTW I'm not against this. How many other game developers recycle and revamp the same engine over and over? Almost all.

The engine is not perfect. No engine ever is. M2:TW and RTW are on the same engine, therefore same type of problems and limitations.
Indeed, though using M2TW an indication, many of the issues in RTW/BI where not resolved in M2TW. IMHO this is because I don't think that much work went on the engine itself.

Intrepid Sidekick
03-07-2008, 18:03
If anyone from CA said MTW2 was a "new engine" they shouldnt have. It wasnt. It was based on the RTW engine. It was an evolution of an existing engine.

ETW is a new engine. As we have always said our products follow a revolution-evolution-revolution-evolution approach.

Shogun and Mongol Invasion -Revolution
Medieval and Viking Invasion -Evolution
Rome and BI -Revolution
Med 2 and Kingdoms -Evolution
Empire -Revolution

caravel
03-07-2008, 18:24
If anyone from CA said MTW2 was a "new engine" they shouldnt have. It wasnt. It was based on the RTW engine. It was an evolution of an existing engine.

ETW is a new engine. As we have always said our products follow a revolution-evolution-revolution-evolution approach.

Rome and BI -Revolution
Empire -Revolution
Good to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. :bow:

IIRC it certainly wasn't CA stating that it was a new engine, but certain forumites making this assertion.

There were plenty of people rubbishing the doubters back then on the basis that it was a "new engine" and that we should wait and see. This is basically why I've never bothered with M2TW, I'm waiting for the "revolution" this time. If ETW turns out to be that, then who knows I might pick it up (note to self: upgrade PC first).

:bow:

Wolf_Kyolic
03-07-2008, 19:29
Rome and BI -Revolution

Most certainly! :laugh4:

Forlorn Hope
03-09-2008, 02:15
:balloon2: :jumping: :balloon2:

PSYCHO V
03-11-2008, 03:20
CAOZ got to make Medieval 2 along with some UK staff that used to live in the UK but moved to Australia.

In the end all of it is about teamwork.

And a great team of guys too!

my2bob

Rhyfelwyr
03-11-2008, 20:50
The terrain and weather are a factor in the battles. Ranged units on high ground get a greater range and accuracy. Units fighting in mêlée are more effective if they are on higher ground than the enemy. Cavalry fighting in forests lose some of their maneuverability and effectiveness, whereas infantry do not. If ranged weapons are used on units that are hiding in forests they have less chance of getting hit. If it's snowing, heavily armored units get tired sooner. If it's raining then guns and bows become less effective or even useless. This adds depth to the game as attacking in different seasons means greater chance of a certain weather condition and some provinces are easier to defend than others. It also means that the mobilization phase of the battle is no less important than the actual fighting, as gaining the high ground may give a player the winning edge.

All units have honor. Honor is basically the experience of success the unit has, and higher honor means greater effectiveness and less chance of routing. Generals gain or lose honor according to their success rate and their honor affects all those who fight under their command. This means that fresh reinforcements are usually inferior to units that have fought before; sending units to battle that they cannot win not only costs you units but enhances the soldiers of your enemy and degrades the honor of your own general (causing the units below him to fight worse).

AFAIK everything there is in both RTW and M2TW, except the guns not working in the rain.

Caerfanan
03-12-2008, 13:38

Rome and BI -Revolution
Empire -Revolution
Hi there. I know it could be hard, but you have then, with this "revolution" episode the keys to success if it all gets together. NAval battles, gun fire... Maybe a step to "engine + scenarios " approach?

Ferret
03-13-2008, 19:58
yeah it is March and all I can see is wallpapers... I want my money back! :clown:

Rhyfelwyr
03-14-2008, 00:27
There's a few more screenies out now, check the thread here...

SirGrotius
03-17-2008, 04:08

Rome and BI -Revolution
Empire -Revolution

Excellent information. From what I'd read of ETW so far, I got the feeling that it was somehow different than the other games (and not just naval mind you!).

I'm looking forward to it.

Brave
03-26-2008, 19:39
We must have information, its coming out soon isn't it?

PSYCHO V
03-27-2008, 08:13
We must have information, its coming out soon isn't it?

Sega have November 2008 as a release date on their website.

my2bob

Generals_Bodyguard
03-28-2008, 08:42
AnonymousTW Fan : We want Information! Information! Information!
CA : Where am I?
Anonymous : In the village
CA : What do you want?
AnonymousTW Fan : Information
CA : Whose side are you on?
AnonymousTW Fan : That would be telling
CA : You won't get it!
AnonymousTW Fan : By hook or by crook....We will!
CA : Who are you?!
AnonymousTW Fan : The new number 2
CA : Who is Number 1?
AnonymousTW Fan : You are number 6!
CA : I am not a number! I'm a free man!!!!
AnonymousTW Fan : Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

PS : Come on CA....you know what we want!

rajpoot
03-31-2008, 10:29
Nothing as yet......nothing at all on land battles apart from few precious screens :( ......why I've almost begun to think, that they got so busy with doing the new selling feature of sea battles, that they forgot all about the sweet old skirmishes on land, which were the game's firm ground......

Polemists
04-02-2008, 22:34
So now it's April,

Obviously when I started this thread I had hoped for something more intrepid, something really new, a video, a view of cities or the new map, who knows.

So I'm not going to ask for those things, because obviously your saving them for some big marketing gimmic like E3 or the like to cash in on marketing, which is fine.

Could you at least make a Empire Total War link on the main totalwar page up above where all the other big names are? You know how annoying it is to have the MTW2 link and Empire total war link take you to the exact same page?

So I'd like to see a little dedicated Empire Total War section on Totalwar.com, even if it is just wallpapers and faq's, and a few screenshots.

Thank you.

Intrepid Sidekick
04-03-2008, 11:02
There is information, awaiting release in to the wild, but somehow its got stuck in the pipes :smash: that lead out of our little bunker in Horsham. :oops:

Aparently there are plans afoot for something and thats got in the way of us releasing our normal FAQ's on the TW blog. :holmes: :holmes:

Generals_Bodyguard
04-03-2008, 14:21
Let me guess...Waiting to roll out a new website for Empire Total War?:idea2:

I hope thats done soon:whip:

Lt Nevermind
04-03-2008, 14:23
As we have always said our products follow a revolution-evolution-revolution-evolution approach.

Rome and BI -Revolution
Empire -Revolution

Thus, I take it that Empire TW already has a successor somewhere behind the scenes.

TosaInu
04-03-2008, 14:44
Thus, I take it that Empire TW already has a successor somewhere behind the scenes.

Most likely Lt Nevermind,

Different teams work on software. When coders work on a title, the designers are already working on something new (of course there may be some feedback and such).

rajpoot
04-03-2008, 14:51
Well, there's some hope in that then......if the pipe was blocked so that the FAQs could not get through, then the wad of stuff blocking surely must be bigger than the FAQ.........nice. I can't wait for the surprise.

Polemists
04-04-2008, 09:19
Yes well hopefully I am not waiting a other month until the vaunted better then wallpapers dev comments come to fruition this time. Something in April would be nice.

Romavictor12345
04-09-2008, 02:38
I am so glad other people seem to be aware that there has been no update sence January 26....nothing...an they want to release the game in 2008. it seems that the hardcore fans at totalwar.com don't care....every time i mention it they freak out.

rajpoot
04-09-2008, 11:58
Oh they'll have it out by 2008 end. I for one am sure about that. This pause in the FAQs is due to some marketing trouble they're having over there I think.

Divinus Arma
04-10-2008, 07:18
:whip: Ready for info. Certainly been a while.

Lord Zimoa of Flanders
04-11-2008, 10:52
Really curious about the first screenshots of land battles, I want to see cavalry in echelon charging into massive squares and artillery blazing cannister away! :2thumbsup:

LZ

Polemists
04-19-2008, 05:11
The ign questionaire just released was nice I suppose. Still I kind of want something new, like a video or a release date. Not just the same question and answers constantly reworded,

We know it's has naval combat, we know it's viceral, we know it's a new engine, we know you are moving it along, we know about the revoultion and gov types, we know you are trying to improve the AI.

Seriously, give us something new. At this rate there is going to be a leaked demo of the game before I get any cool info. :laugh4:

Furious Mental
04-19-2008, 12:56
Well I am pleased to hear there will be dragoons and horse artillery and that your soldiers can shelter behind things on the battlefield. Should open up interesting tactical options.

rajpoot
04-19-2008, 15:25
IGN interview! What interview?

Edit :
Alright, found it.

Wow, they're saying that the unit size on the field will be incredibly larger with the new engine :bounce: keeping fingers crossed to create an uber army of ten thosand muskets, field guns and husars!

leonardo
04-19-2008, 15:35
I went to sega's home page and looked up empires, they say it will be released this november

pevergreen
04-19-2008, 15:44
Yup, this has been noted.

I will update the Summary Thread soon, if someone wants to PM me a short thing on the IGN question's that are new, I'll throw that in the Summary thread and credit them.

Joker II
04-21-2008, 08:27
New info from IGN:

- Regions in the Americas tend to start the game with low populations, and we do model the migration of people from Europe to the Americas as a result of dissatisfaction with their lives in the Old World. Therefore, American regions can see extremely fast development, with population and hence new towns growing much faster than is possible in Europe. Colonial regions also tend to produce exotic commodities such as sugar and tobacco.

- For the first time, we are actually having a technology tree that lets player's research pure technologies as well as construct and upgrade buildings. We have a host of different technologies that the player can choose to focus on. Some will give units new abilities on the battlefield, or allow your artillery to develop new types of ordnance. Some will improve ships' sailing and fighting performance, others will develop your economy and enable new buildings and infrastructure, and others will advance the educational level of your nation and speed up future research.

- We have dragoon units -- mounted men that you can order to dismount and fire and attack the enemy as infantry. Then you can order them to mount up again and chase across the field on horseback.

- We have artillery units, some of which can be limbered up and moved around the field at speed by teams of horses. You can develop all kinds of exotic ammo for them to fire.

- We are working hard to ensure that naval battles assume a greater significance on the campaign map as well and that fleets really project power rather than just being transport containers for armies.

- Religion plays a role in the game, but it doesn't play such as central part as in the medieval era. Religion does have an impact on happiness levels, and conversion can still help bring a newly conquered region under your control.

- We've really beefed up the diplomacy side of the game, and tried hard to make the AI factions behave in a more human way and respond to the player's treatment of them. Religion does play a role in terms of factions' attitudes towards each other, and it can be harder to maintain a close friendship with a faction with a different religion.

- On the battle map (both land and sea), the increase in visual quality and the number of men on the battlefield is incredible. The new engine has allowed huge improvements in graphics, terrain & vegetation, destructible buildings, as well as more advanced unit behaviour and abilities

General_Someone
04-21-2008, 18:06
Wow, they're saying that the unit size on the field will be incredibly larger with the new engine :bounce: keeping fingers crossed to create an uber army of ten thosand muskets, field guns and husars!

That would rock for sure, and were there any other kinds of artillery back then besides field guns?

New info from IGN:

- Regions in the Americas tend to start the game with low populations, and we do model the migration of people from Europe to the Americas as a result of dissatisfaction with their lives in the Old World. Therefore, American regions can see extremely fast development, with population and hence new towns growing much faster than is possible in Europe. Colonial regions also tend to produce exotic commodities such as sugar and tobacco.

- For the first time, we are actually having a technology tree that lets player's research pure technologies as well as construct and upgrade buildings. We have a host of different technologies that the player can choose to focus on. Some will give units new abilities on the battlefield, or allow your artillery to develop new types of ordnance. Some will improve ships' sailing and fighting performance, others will develop your economy and enable new buildings and infrastructure, and others will advance the educational level of your nation and speed up future research.

- We have dragoon units -- mounted men that you can order to dismount and fire and attack the enemy as infantry. Then you can order them to mount up again and chase across the field on horseback.

- We have artillery units, some of which can be limbered up and moved around the field at speed by teams of horses. You can develop all kinds of exotic ammo for them to fire.

- We are working hard to ensure that naval battles assume a greater significance on the campaign map as well and that fleets really project power rather than just being transport containers for armies.

- Religion plays a role in the game, but it doesn't play such as central part as in the medieval era. Religion does have an impact on happiness levels, and conversion can still help bring a newly conquered region under your control.

- We've really beefed up the diplomacy side of the game, and tried hard to make the AI factions behave in a more human way and respond to the player's treatment of them. Religion does play a role in terms of factions' attitudes towards each other, and it can be harder to maintain a close friendship with a faction with a different religion.

- On the battle map (both land and sea), the increase in visual quality and the number of men on the battlefield is incredible. The new engine has allowed huge improvements in graphics, terrain & vegetation, destructible buildings, as well as more advanced unit behaviour and abilities

Nice, but I'm sure some people will have to upgrade their computers to play this, or buy new ones.

Matt_Lane
04-21-2008, 20:12
That would rock for sure, and were there any other kinds of artillery back then besides field guns?

As well as smooth bore, muzzle loading cannons there were also howitzers, mortars and later on rockets. At sea canons formed the main stay of ships of the line but cannonades and mortars were also used.

There is also a great variety of projectiles employed. As well as solid round iron shot field artillery would use case and canister shot, explosive shells and later on shrapnel shells. At sea chain, bar and grape shot were also used whilst heated shot was often used by coastal defenses against wooden ships.

TevashSzat
04-22-2008, 02:37

Really hope this happens since its quite ridiculous that AI factions won't surrender or become your vassal when you literally surround their last city with full stacks.

A bigger thing might be to make the campaign AI more competent, ie better army composition, logical management of finances, building up of key cities, wise army movement, ect... Even if the diplomacy was great, it doesn't really matter much if a half decent player can be at war with basically the whole known world and still be able to slowly expand

Polemists
04-22-2008, 04:37
Well, they havn't discussed army ai much. I'll be happy if the AI realizes that after 150 years, and one year of war we are not enemies for life lol. I'd be happy to see alliances be meaningful.

Once again I'd be happy with some beefy info, seriously CA, how about some unit previews, is it that hard to make a 3d unit and one paragraph of text? C'mon :juggle2:

pevergreen
04-22-2008, 07:47
It could be at this point. I expect full faction videos on IGN in 3-4 months. When that starts, this forum will have a huge jump in activity.

Alexander the Pretty Good
04-22-2008, 08:21
Not too keen on the "pure research" thing, though I'll have to see how it's executed.

Joker II
04-22-2008, 08:23
First vid showing Empire will probably be at E3 (15 - 17 July) I guess.

rajpoot
04-22-2008, 10:22
This isn't going well, right now they're releasing info at a 'less than a trickle' rate. Then, a little time before the release, we'll be flooded with so much that it'll get confusing as to should I buy or not buy the game. I'd much rather soak in the info bit at a time and make a right decision about the purchase.

Joker II
04-22-2008, 10:55
From the dot com forum:

SenseiTW #621

04/18/08 18:53:43
CA Staff and Admin
Hi guys,

To shed a little light on our next Q&A - some of the information discussed there will be featured simultaniously in the press. As they haven't been published yet, we are holding on to the Q&A for the time being. I can confirm that it will be soley focused on land battles and we will bring this to you as soon as we can.

Please continue to keep your great questions coming. We have a lot more to tell you...

Mark O'Connell
(aka SenseiTW)

Rhyfelwyr
04-22-2008, 21:46
Glad to see that, land battles will always be more important for me than naval conflicts.

phred
04-22-2008, 22:27
Apologies if this has been posted already.

preorder at Gamestop for 11/11/2008 shipment

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71070

pevergreen
04-22-2008, 22:47
We knew the month, but definite dates are always good.

TevashSzat
04-23-2008, 03:08
Dates are nice, but I'd rather have it ship in 09 than have it come out with bugs and desperately needing a patch. M2TW passive ai bug anyone?

pevergreen
04-23-2008, 05:36
Thats why its coming out in November and not now.

I honestly hope they have a beta.

rajpoot
04-23-2008, 11:31
Wow, the price is quite a bit higher than it was with M2TW :sweatdrop: plus, the system upgrades are going to cost an arm and leg.

Polemists
04-23-2008, 18:41
yea well if I ever see anything beyond a q and a or a screenshot maybe I can actually start deciding how much I like or dislike the game.

Divinus Arma
05-02-2008, 02:16
First vid showing Empire will probably be at E3 (15 - 17 July) I guess.

That seems like a great guess to me. It would make good marketing sense. They need to explode onto E3 with something spectacular that will sweep awards: "Best of E3", and eventually all of the recognized "Best of.." and "9.7/10, etc." awards they can get.

Those little acknowledgements are huge selling points. I take them seriously when I consider buying a new game. It lets me know I have a solid purchase in my hands.

I have a feeling we will see the boom at E3. We may get some limited info again before then, but nothing "wow". They are saving the "wow" for E3.

Great point Joker II. I can be patient until then.

Divinus Arma
05-02-2008, 02:27
Oh, and just to point out how serious developers are getting about games these days:

Since 1999, the title of most expensive game ever made has belonged to Shenmue, an action-adventure game for the Sega Dreamcast, which cost over $70 million to create. Now, according to Grand Theft Auto IV producer Leslie Benzies, Shenmue may have finally been topped.

Although he wasn't sure on the exact figures, Benzies told the Times Online that, over the three and a half years the game was in development, the 1000-plus people working on it probably cost Rockstar around $100 million. And, while Shenmue was only able to sell 1.2 million copies and came nowhere close to making a profit (or even breaking even) GTA IV is in a different situation. Predictions are that the game could possibly gross more than $400 million in the first week alone, making the $100 million price tag more then worth it.
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/04/30/gta-iv-may-be-most-expensive-game-ever-made

$400 million in one week? No movie has ever come close to those numbers. $300 million in profit in just the first week.

TW is, of course, a more niche product, with a specific audience on a limiting type of platform. But the potential to expand into the general market is absolutely there. CA and SEGA must (a) reach outside of the PC and find a way to make the games easily playable on console, and (b) make the game cinematically stunning: Epic music, life-like graphics, realistic feel. And lastly: Split screen battles for two player head-to-head action. Enough people have monster-sized plasmas to make this a reality without it feeling clunky and difficult to manage teeny tiny people.

It can be done. CA can do it. And if they ever have the leadership with the strategic vision to make it happen, CA and SEGA can potentially reap these types of profits too.

Severus
05-02-2008, 02:50
A strategy game like TW, with our current technology, can't expect sales like GTA, no matter how well designed. However reaching out to the mainstream means more sales which (you hope) means more money can be invested in later editions. The problem is going "mainstream" can have consequences. A lot of people here love EB, but its a niche game. What would you rather have, a game that takes a lot of intellgence to play, or a game that has loads of money dumped into it but is dumbed down so everyone can play it?

RLucid
05-02-2008, 09:25
I'd rather have a FOSS Battle simulation game, so that modder's efforts don't get wasted and commercial annoyances can be removed.

Then various spins would occur, catering to historical accuracy, fun playability & vareity (includes cool fantasy units). Furthermore as engine improves all the time periods would get updated to. No need to artificially freeze ancient battle version, because a different period is required to obtain revenue.

Pantsalot
05-02-2008, 10:45
I'd probably prefer the more intelligent game, unless it's too smart for me
to understand the slightest bit :inquisitive: .

Divinus Arma
05-02-2008, 18:08
A strategy game like TW, with our current technology, can't expect sales like GTA, no matter how well designed. However reaching out to the mainstream means more sales which (you hope) means more money can be invested in later editions. The problem is going "mainstream" can have consequences. A lot of people here love EB, but its a niche game. What would you rather have, a game that takes a lot of intellgence to play, or a game that has loads of money dumped into it but is dumbed down so everyone can play it?

Simplicity in control does not necessarily mean "dumbed down". If "mortal combat" with its fancy pain-in-the-butt controls can go mainstream, any game with the right "feel" can do it.

I think epic lifelike battles are very appealing to the mainstream. Look at Braveheart, The Patriot, etc.

The problem is in control, feel, and appearance. You may be correct that current technology isn't ready yet. But it can happen without sacrificing your intellect.

Polemists
05-08-2008, 23:07
So it's may and we are still stuck with wallpapers and faq's how exciting. GUess I'll see you all again in june for more of the same. Way to excite the fans CA.:thumbsdown:

rajpoot
07-04-2008, 09:40
So, we had that CGI teaser clip, which really was pretty teasing :P and we had the interview of the stuntmen performing for the game, and then the most interesting bit about AI, a nice change from pictures all in all, but, when're we going to get something a bit more chewy on proper land battles, like something new with the terrain, something about moral, or general's guard and stuff........?

pevergreen
07-04-2008, 10:28
I would wait for another 3 or so months before getting anything really awesome.

Wandarah
07-04-2008, 14:57
Luckily my good man, I am awesome and I am already here.

I may upload myself to youtube, so you can be impressed with my bump mappings.