PDA

View Full Version : Please Help, Unpacker Not Working

Hellenic_Hoplite
02-02-2008, 00:24
Every time I try to run the unpacker it says "this application failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" I've re-installed about 3 times now and starting to get worried this won't ever unpack. I really need to unpack these files because vanilla M2TW is practically unplayable without modding. :help:

Quillan
02-02-2008, 00:36
Based on what I found through a Google search, msvcp71.dll is a module belonging to the Microsoft C Runtime Library. It's going to have to be there. You can download it off the net, but I have no idea where it should go. At a guess, I'd say the System32 folder, but that's just a guess.

FactionHeir
02-02-2008, 12:23
You can get all the dlls you need off any dll download site. Typing the name of the missing dll file into google usually gives you a bunch of results. Most are trustworthy and I think microsoft linked to the liutilities site.

On the download screen it will also tell you where to place the file.

Ibn-Khaldun
02-02-2008, 12:40
eem ..
It might be stupid question but .. did you deleted the 2 files: data\descr_geography_new.txt and data\descr_geography_new.db ???

Nebuchadnezzar
02-02-2008, 14:38
MSVCP71.dll should be in your Medieval II Total War folder. Just copy it as well as MSVCR71.dll, MSVCR71d.dll and MSVCP71d.dll to you tools, unpacker folder.

FactionHeir
02-02-2008, 21:32
MSVCP71.dll should be in your Medieval II Total War folder. Just copy it as well as MSVCR71.dll, MSVCR71d.dll and MSVCP71d.dll to you tools, unpacker folder.

It really just has to be somewhere. If its not there it will work regardless.

Nebuchadnezzar
02-04-2008, 04:00
It really just has to be somewhere. If its not there it will work regardless.

Why it works for some and others not is a mystery but for me the unpacker did not work until the files were copied from the root directory to the tools/unpacker directory. Seems to be a common fix for the many, many people having this problem.

FactionHeir
02-04-2008, 10:21
Afaik, and I might be wrong, executables check firstly their own folder for missing dlls and then the system folder if they are not there. Or the other way around.

Hellenic_Hoplite
02-05-2008, 07:45

That got it working.

Thanks alot and thanks to everyone else.

edit* sorry I took a while to respond to my own thread, I honestly forgot about it for a while :laugh4: